Urology Expert Forum
Renal Cyst

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Renal Cyst

Dear Dr. Pho,
I am a 48 y/o female, diagnosed with a renal cyst approx. 5.3 cm in diameter.  2 years ago it was found incidentally when an abdominal CT scan was done, and it was 2+ cm in diameter.  My doctor referred me to a doctor today, but he was not even sure if I should go to a Nephrologist or a Urologist (his lean was that I would end up in Urology, one way or the other, he said).  When I went to make an appointment, I was told that 6 weeks out is the soonest I can get in to see the referral doctor.  The referring doctor is not aware of this time lag.  Should I call and leave him a message?  Is that an appropriate waiting time, with about double growth in 2 years?  What are the choices for me from here?
Typically renal cysts that are considered for removal are handled by a urologist.  Most renal cysts are benign and can be observed.  

Larger ones, or a mass suspected to be cancer, should be considered for surgical removal.  If this is the case, this needs to be discussed with the urologist.  

An MRI can be considered if the imaging study does not give enough clarity.

These questions and options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
Did you have any symptoms that were associated with this renal cyst?  I have been having some kidney problems and wondered if I might have a cyst or something since my kidney function tests keep coming back normal.  
I have a lot of discomfort in my back and urinary frequency.  I had an IV contrast MRI, and my doctor said I should see a urologist, since it would probably be surgical, anyway.  I didn't understand what he meant, until I came home and looked on the internet for information on renal cysts.  Now, I wish I had asked more questions (did the radiologist stage it?  was it simple, despite being large? etc).  That's about all I know right now.