Urology Community
Split-Stream Urination

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Split-Stream Urination

The opening of my penis has this little....um...."divider" or something, that causes my urine to flow in split streams.  It's not painful at all, but it has me curious.  Sometimes when I......get off, I feel like I'm gonna shoot to the moon but very little comes out, I don't know if this has anything to do with the split-stream thing or not.  

Is this normal?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How old are you?

For how long have you noted this "divider" in the urethral opening (is this right?)?

Have you only noted this recently?

For how long have you experienced splittng of your  urine?

Do you have previous history of trauma , intervention or repeated infections in the urinary tract?

Any penile discharge?

Any problems with sexual response like erectile deformity or ejaculation problems?

Any pain or increase in urinary frequency?
Thank you for responding.

I'm 23 years old.  I've noticed this very small line in my penis opening for a long time.  It's never been painful or discomforting, but I've only recently come to be curious about it.

Split-stream urination has been going on for quite a while.

No past history of trauma or urinary infection.  And no penile discharge.

No erectile deformity but there is an upward curve when I'm erect, but it's not very extreme.  As for ejaculation problems, sometimes it feels like a lot is gonna come out, but it's only a small amount.  This doesn't happen all the time, though.

No pain when urinating, but the frequency is a little high.  At least once every half hour it seems, which I don't think is very normal.  The other day I was working out and drank lots of water.  I had to urinate every five minutes for at least half an hour afterward.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Is this small line found in the urethral opening?

Have you ever had this assessed by a physician before?

I suggest that you have your physician see this.This may be a stricture or a benign growth that obviously causes your symptoms.

This may not be an urgent case since you have noted this for quite a time already and the history you posted here does not show anything very significant.
A urologist may need to have this checked. It is important to have this assessd to evaluate the extent of urethral involvement. This does not sound like a case that you should be worried however.

Do keep us posted regarding physician's advice.
The urethral opening is where urine and semen come out, right?  That's where it's at.  It's hard to describe really, like a small line connecting the two pieces of skin on both sides of the penis head.
I've never had it observed by a doctor.  I just hope it's not too abnormal.

One more question - in the past, I noticed that my semen was a different color than it should be, like a dark yellow-ish color.  It hasn't happened since then (about a year ago), but I just wondered what causes this.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Yes, the urethral opening is that opening at the tip of the penis where urine and semen come out.This does not sound like an urgent case. Your urologist will be able to assess this better. This does not give you any symptoms except for the splitting of urine.I still suggest though that you have this evaluated just for initial assessment.

As for the discolored semen, this may be an isolated case.Infections of the prostate,epidydimis and seminal vesicles and mild injuries to the urethra may cause this.If this has not recurred,it may not need immediate intervention.