Urology Community
White flakes in urine. Cause for concern?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Hello Doctor,

I have noticed what appear to be sparse small white flakes in my urine. Most are very small in size but some are more cylindrical shaped and can be up to an inch long (much less common and not with every micturation). I am concerned about this. I have no pain, flank tenderness, fever, or any other symptoms that would suggest there may be a kidney or urinary bladder issue and was wondering if you may be able to advise me as to could be causing this and what steps I may need to possibly take in attaining a diagnosis. I appreciate your help in this matter.

Thank you.

Jennifer
Avatar_dr_f_tn

It is good that you do not have symptoms of  infections in the bladder or kidneys. However, a urinalysis is still advisable to check for infections which are asymptomatic. If present, antibiotic treatment is  indicated. Another differential could be any form of vaginosis. A gyne consult wherein pelvic examination and analysis of any discharge present, would rule this out and probably reach a diagnosis. Take care and keep us posted.
I have a superpubic catheter for almost 2 years, had my gallbladder out 10 years ago. I also have the white or gray flakes that looks like ashes.  Sometimes it looks like a yellow paste sticking to sides if tubing.  I get spasms in bladder then I use my underware a lot if I move wrong or sneeze.  Isometimes have pains high in my right side, thought it was my liver where my gallbladder was.  no one has a clue.  They just say drink 2 litre of water a day.