Urology Community
bladder polyp

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

bladder polyp

I found out a month ago that my 5yr has a bladder polyp.She has had an urinary tract infection since christmas day.She is in alot of painand she is bleeding.she also developed reflux they said that her bladder is holding more cc than an adult.do you think it will be removed.And do think that she has gone on to long with this infection thaks for any help
Tags: polys
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The presence of pain , bleeding and reflux may warrant surgical intervention to alleviate the symptoms. The polyp is obstructing urine flow which dams up the bladder and causes urine to backflow to the ureters resulting to  reflux and pain.This may also increase the risk for recurrent urinary tract infections.Do discuss your concerns with your child's physicians. Discuss with them how the condition will be managed and what are the expected short and long term outcomes of the management.

Do keep us posted for anything
thanks for the response.She sees a ped urologist on the seventh.just one more question for you will this polyp be tested for cancer or shoulld it been and what is the odds.My mom was 2 when they found a maglignant tumor in her so it is worrying me. thanks again
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Lesions removed from the body requires a histopathologic examination for a definite diagnosis ,more so when a family history of cancer is present. At this point I can not give you a definite answer regarding the odds of a bladder polyp transforming into something less benign in nature. A histopath result will be able to define exactly what the lesion is and your physician will decide the next step from there. One thing to consider here is the recurrence of the polyp.Maybe you can discuss with the urologist the rate of recurrence of bladder polyps in the pediatric age group.

Keep us posted.
hello again.I took my daughter to the urologist. all she did was put her a 4 new meds.she thinks the polyp is from her infection.but she has been on antibotics since decmber. then she put her on detrol la. which im not sure i understand they told me that her bladder is holding 300 cc.but she doest want to see her for aonther six weeks.they know my little girl is in pain and they want to wait another six weeks.I just feel lost.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How is your daughter? I understand your concern.The way I see things here is that your physician is trying to manage your daughter's case conservatively.There is wisdom to this actually given your daughter's age. An invasive procedure without any definite indication in a pediatric age group may offer more discomfort than benefits.However, you have mentioned that your daughter has been bleeding and in pain?You have also mentioned of urinary retention. In this case, she may actually need a prompt assessment. I suggest a second opinion with another urologist.This may help allay your worries and also shed some more light on your daughter's case. Bladder polyps may cause bladder outlet obstruction and may explain most of your child's symptoms.
hello again! things are still not so good here.my daughter has been running temputures over 103 for 5 days. we took her to the hospital and they did a ct scan the urologist said that her left kidney was enlarged and infected and her bladder wall was inflamed.on top of this all she is passing blood clots.the hospital told us to follow up with the specialist this week. so I called her. she got the hospital reports sent to her and she said that there is anything wrong with my daughter she feels the fevers are from a virus. so we asked her about the blood clots she said that its caused from her having a uti but thats been almost a month ago.what i dony understand why two different urologist saying two different things. thanks again for you help.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I would believe that the urologists based on their assessment ,given the results of the tests , medical history and complete  physical examination of your daughter would be able to derive an objective clinical opinion on your child's  case. But I also understand your concern , that intuitive concern only a mom can feel.

I know you have been to two ped urologists already. I suggest you get an opinion from a pediatiric nephrologist. Have you been to one? It is best to correlate the views of these specialties so you may get a clear picture of what is really going on.Discuss with the physicians the best therapy for your child. A recurrent UTI , hydronephrosis and bladder inflammation needs further evaluation.

Any reference to the bladder polyps? Have you discussed possible resection of the polyps ?

our first visit the pediatric urology said that she didnt want to discuss the possibilties of the polyp. she said that she thought the polyp was there because of her infection.so she keep her on spectra foir another six weeks.In the mean time we have taken her to the hospital 3 times. we thought we got somewhere last night.Because we took her to a bigger city hospital. they  where so much better then our hospital here. that is where they did a ct scan and found out from a urologist from austrila. that her kidneys are swollen and her bladder inflamed. so they told to follow up with the ped urologist and she said she didnt see nothing. so i just dont know what to think.can blood clots from and uti that happen amonth ago pass now?she did say if on the 18 of march if the polyp is still there she would do this test where they shoot dye in her.Im just totally lost if feel completely helpless my little girl is suffering and i feel that she thinks we are over exaggerating.I sorry to keep bothering you