Urology Community
dribbling after urination

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

dribbling after urination

I am 20 years old and have had previous urology concerns before. Some time ago, maybe a year, I noticed I was urinating more frequently than I ever had before. I don't believe I ever went to a doctor, but I trained myself to wait longer and eventually my urinating became more regular. Now however, when I go to the bathroom I get dribbles afterwards and have to stand in front of the toilet shaking all the rest of it out. Back when this began, I had to sit down on the toilet and wait a few minutes to finish, though as of late it is not so bad. Also on occasion, and I am not sure if it is related, I get sharp pains in my penis that go away after a moment. I am planning to see my doctor and imagine I could be referred to a urologist, but if I could get an idea of what the import of this might be I would appreciate it.
    How are you? A small amount of dribbling of urine happens in quite a number of people and it is not considered abnormal. But if you are trying not to urinate and it is happening then it could be bladder incontinence.

Dribbling can occur due to weak pelvic floor muscles, prostatitis, urethral strictures, ureteral stones, tumors of the prostrate etc. Did you ever have STD? these have more chances of forming a urethral stricture.

Reading your note i think it is most likely praostatitis, because you mentioned sharp pains in the penis. This could most probably be of infectious origin. Routine urine analysis with a voiding diary is 24-hour record of urination, and is often helpful with diagnosis.

Consult a urologist for detailed physical examination and further assistance.
All the best.

Avatar_dr_f_tn

Urinary incontinence can result from anatomic, physiologic, or pathologic factors.
Acute and temporary incontinence are commonly caused by the following urinary tract infection o medication side effect while chronic incontinence may be due to
birth defects, bladder muscle weakness, blocked urethra, nerve disorders, or pelvic floor muscle weakness. There are several types of  urinary incontinence:  stress, urge, overflow and mixed incontinence. This link may be helpful:
http://www.urologychannel.com/incontinence/index.shtml

It would be best to have this evaluated by your urologist to reach a diagnosis. Take care and regards.