Urology Expert Forum
help

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

help

I was previoulsy infected with chlamydia and then treated. After I was treated I thought that the problem was gone but about a month ago my ex-girlfriend told me she did not finish taking her medication when we were infected. I had been procrastinating on going to see a doctor until I started feeling a dull pain in my testicle. I schedualed an appointment with my doctor for the earliest possible time which came to be 3 days from now. I have only had the pain for about 3-4 days but it seems to get worse every day. I did some research and Im pretty sure I have something called epididymitis. My question concerns my next step. I know I have probably had the problem for a while but now it seems like every day counts. How important are these next couple days, can I wait to see my doctor or should I go to the hospital as soon as possible? I read that if untreated it can lead to VERYserious problems for me, how long does one have to have symtoms (symptoms) or the disease itself for before any serious complications occur? Thank you for your time-
I would see a physician as soon as possible if there is continuing concern.

Epididymitis can be treated with the appropriate antibiotics.  Imaging the scrotum can be considered to see the extent of damage.

Prostatitis is also a concern.  Obtaining a prostatic massage can help send any prostatic fluid for culture and analysis.   Imaging the prostate with a transrectal ultrasound can also be considered.

These options should be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I posted the comment about a month ago. I took pills for the chlamidyia i THOUGHT I had and the pain in my testicles went away. A week later I found out that my STD tests came back negative and the pain began again. The pain comes and goes (at least once a day) and sometimes my testicles/scrotum (maybe both) get very big and heavy almost as of it was swollen. I will not be covered for health insurance until my insurance is informed that I am a full-time student (which I am) but I just sent the forms today and I do not know how long it will take until I am covered. At first this was just an annoying feeling but now it is slighty painful. I can not find any bumps and do not have other symptems. If anyone knows what is wrong or has any information PLEASE respond.