Urology Expert Forum
hydrocelectomy & SWELLING-what to do & how long

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

I am now in my fourth week after my hydrocelectomy on my left testicle.  I was VERY careful to follow ALL of the postoperative instructions of my doctor which were quite conservative from what I have read of others on the internet.

My left testicle is MASSIVELY swollen (5" long and 3" in diameter).  The scrotum is stretched tight around it.  It hurts if it jiggles even a little bit.  It is tender to the touch in some locations.  It feels most of the time like someone is holding onto my testicle and squeezing it.  

It does not feel extra warm nor do I have a temperature.

I am wearing an athletic supporter 24-7 and gently hold on to it if I have to drive on bumpy roads.  Showering is a problem as it gets no support while I shower.  Man, do I hurt by the time I finish the shower!  I am now showering with my jockey shorts on to avoid the pain.

I have three questions:
[1] How long can I expect this to go on before the swelling begins to subside?
[2] How long before I get the desired result of a normal sized testicle?
[3] Is there anything I can do to help the process besides waiting patiently?  
     (e.g. cold, heat, acupuncture, hand grenade????)

Frankly, about now I am wishing I had opted for a marble instead of trying to fix the hydrocele

Napew
You seem to be having a more protracted course of discomfort than usual. Often the swelling persists for a two months or so. The pain, however, usually resolves in a few weeks. There is nothing aside from a daily warm bath that will help the process along. I would talk to the operating surgeon to learn if things are going as expected. A scrotal ultrasound with doppler flow may be needed to see if there is a problem with the blood supply to that testis.
Good luck!
S.A.Liroff, M.D.

This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only. It
does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Henry Ford  Hospital  or the
Vattikuti Urologic Institute.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic
and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical  condition.
Thank you.  I will try the daily warm bath.  

There is a whirlpool at the swimming pool I attend for exercise.  

Would sitting in the whirlpool (quite warm) be helpful?

Napew
It will probably feel better.
Do address your questions with your physician. He/she was there at the surgery and knows exactly what went on and what to expect in this post operative period.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.
A related discussion, Follow Up on Hydroelectomy was started.