Urology Community
hypospadias

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

hypospadias

Tags: hipospadias

How do you treat a postoperative complications, that means a fistula comes to a boy, 2 yaers old, operated  2 weeks ago? The surgeon put him again a urethral catheter with the hope that fistula will heal itself.
Please tell me, there is another option?

Thank you in advance,
Fistula formation is one of the commonest complications of hypospadias surgery.  Your son’s urologist is right in his approach because the first line of treatment is insertion of a catheter so that the tissue induration and swelling decreases and the fistula heals on its own. Once fistula forms, it is recommended that no surgical approach is followed for 6-12 months during which the fistula heals. If it persists then a repeat surgery may be required.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you very much for your informations.

It is very true that the child's urologist have made the same specifications about 'the treatment solutions', but parents were sad that so quickly came fistula, after 2 week from surgery. So, after one week with the new catheter, the fistula has the same dimensions.
In this case, the fistula it may close spontaneously? and how long?

Anyway, it so good to know that someone is beside you (like you, MD).

Thank you very much for your time,

Wana
The process of closure of a fistula spontaneously is a gradual one and takes months or even an year to settle down. We wait for 6 months or a bit more and then assess the patient and if the symptoms persist then we opt for surgical approach.