Urology Expert Forum
scrotum pain - on the right side only

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

scrotum pain - on the right side only

I am a 43 year old male that is basically sexually inactive.   In early January, I began have throbbing pains in the right side of my scrotum.   It seemed that the pain moved around that area but was always on the right side.  Sometimes I thought it was my testicle and then I would think it was behind it.  I have no increase in pain or tenderness when I exam the area.   Two weeks ago I finally decided to go to the doctors for help.  
It was a weekend so I had to go to a medical clinic ( my doctor's office was closed ) The doctor took a urine sample ( which was clean ) and then felt of the area.   He didn't feel or see anything out of the ordinary.    He thought maybe I had pulled something so he prescribed Darvocet and told me that if I was still experiencing pain in a few days, I should see my regular physician.   He told me not to exercise ( I have worked out at the gym for about 20 years.).    Five days later I went to see my doctor.   He did a prostate exam and said everything there seemed ok.    He then did a physical exam of the area and he didn't feel anything out of the ordinary but he did send me to have a testicular ultrasound.   The ultrasound showed that I have an epididymal cyst on the left side of my scrotum.   Everything else appeared to be ok.   No sign of cancer or hernia.    My doctor doesn't seem concerned with the cyst.  He prescribed Levaquin tabs. ( 500 miligrams ) and Diclofenac ( 150 miligrams ) per day.  
     The throbbing seems to have gotten some better but it has not gone away and I am having a strange sensation constantly.   The best way that I can describe it is to say that it is a tingling sensation.  It is not agonizing pain but it is annoying and very uncomfortable.  I feel no pain when urinating or ejaculating.  For some reason, the pain is worse when I am sitting down.
     If anyone has experienced this situation or can make some suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks.
You have had a pretty reasonable evaluation for the symptoms.  

Infection would still be the first consideration.  A urethral swab to rule out STDs as well as further prostate evaluation can be considered (i.e. a prostatic massage and/or a transrectal ultrasound).  

There are some cases of prostatitis that require extended courses of antibiotics (sometimes 4-12 weeks).  If there is an abscess on transrectal ultrasound, it would need to be drained.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician or urologist.  A neurology referral can be considered if infection has been completely ruled out.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
A related discussion, Pain of the Scrotum area mainly right side was started.
A related discussion, Right scrotum pain was started.