Urology Community
stent placement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

stent placement

i have a 4x6mm kidney stone which is 3/4 of the way down my R kidney tube. i went in a week ago for removal.but due to the small size of my tube a stent was placed in for dialation. it is to remain in for 3 wks. i am having almost constant irritation from it and bleeding off and on,especially after bowel movements. is this common? do they check for placement after surgery? it seems the minute i get up and move around it bothers me. i can't remain lying cown for the next 3 weeks! doctor was vague,yet gave me no restrictions on lifestyle. i've passed many stones but have never had a problem until now. i am very scared and afraid it will move or puncture something.Is bleeding common with moving around? thank you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

If the bleeding has been persisting for more than 2 days after the stent insertion, it is required that you call your doctor. This is so that he can rule out the possibility of any complications, such as migration or coiling of stent.

Investigations to confirm whether the stent is in place may be required and these include contrast imaging studies.

The bleeding after bowel movement, if in the urine, could be due to trauma to the ureter, caused by the stone, that is aggravated with increased intra-abdominal pressure. If there blood in stool or following defecation, it would be best to rule out perforation or migration-related injuries as this can cause serious complications.

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.
hi and welcome to our little group.the doctors here are wonderful and caring.They answer your questions kindly and with knowledge, i hope you like it.sunny1494