Urology Community
urethra meatus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

urethra meatus

Hi , I had my infant son circumsised when he was 6 weeks old and he is now 2.5 monts old.
Just recently my wife noticed slight redness near the meatus. After a bath, he urinated and 2 streams were present. Upon closer inspection , I noticed a sort of skin bridge right in the center of the meatus, thereby bridging the meatus. Is this a result of the circumcision. Will this self resolve, or is there concern that further closing (or stenosis) might occur. What can i do at home and what should i monitor. Will this need surgical intervention or can this be managed at home, ie i read something about  Home-dilatation of the urethral meatus in boys but i don't know what this implies. Please help.
    How are you? Meatal stenosis or urethral stricture is the narrowing of the external opening of the urethra through which urine passes out of the body. Meatal stenosis is a common complication in boys who underwent circumcision.  When the meatus is not covered by the fore skin, it can rub against urine soaked diapers resulting in inflammation and mechanical trauma. Meatal stenosis may also be caused by ischemia resulting from damage to the frenular artery during circumcision.
Meatal stenosis is associated with phimosis and lichen sclerosis in uncircumcised males.
Frequent urinary tract infections, decreased urinary stream, incontinence, bleeding, dysuria are the common symptoms.
I would advise you to visit your urologist for confirmation of the diagnosis through physical examination. In boys, it is treated by a second surgical procedure called meatotomy in which the meatus is crushed for 60 seconds with a straight mosquito hemostat and then divided with fine-tipped scissors. Recently, home-dilatation has been shown to be a successful treatment for most boys.
Check the following link for further information on home dilatation of the urethra

http://www.urotoday.com/58/browse_categories/pediatric_urology/home_dilatation_feasible_for_boys_with_stenotic_urethral_meatus.html
hey, that same thing happened to me also, i am 13...i would urinate and 2 streams would occur one going into the bowl one not. it wouldn't always happen but sometimes it happened. i just came out of surgery yesterday for meatal stenosis and it fixes that 2 stream thing the first time you unrinate.