Weight Loss & Dieting Community
How much am I suppose to weigh??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

How much am I suppose to weigh??

I am 5'9" and I have read online that I am suppose to weigh 125-170 for that hight. It seems to me that thats a REALLY big range. Maybe its just me but I cant see myself being even 170 pounds! I mean, shoot I have about 85 pounds to go! I guess its hard for me to see myself that small.
Does that sounds like what its suppose to be for my hight?

5'9"

It depends on the size of your body frame - whether you are small or large boned. I copied part of a height/weight chart

Small Frame                 Medium Frame              Large Frame              
5'9"                  129-142                           139-153                      149-170

Hope this helps........
Thanks, Barb .. you are most kind to look up that portion of the height/weight chart and post the results!  

Joeysfoxymama - I share your dilemma with you and believe at 5'6" the higher end of my goal weight is around 154.  At the beginning of my journey, I couldn't even fathom that ... even now I'm not sure.  What I AM Sure about .. it that we are all working hard to keep heading in the right direction!  

May I make a suggestion?  Try focusing on 2 to 5 lbs as a goal and block out any other number .. do not think of 20 or 85 or 130 pounds to lose .. it can seem overwhelming and we run the danger of "FEELING" it is insurmountable.  In REALITY, it IS ATTAINABLE!!!  It's easier for us to Believe it when focusing on 2-5 lbs, accomplishing that and CELEBRATING our EFFORTS and SUCCESSES .. and then selecting a new goal of 2-5 lbs.

In this manner, you have MANY MANY Celebrations along the way, all of which reinforce our behavior, our confidence and our belief that WE CAN DO THIS!   Then, before long, you'll look only at the weight you've lost .. and say .. wow, I lost 5 lbs .. 10 lbs .. 12 lbs .. 20 lbs.. 50 lbs .. 70 lbs .. all in 2-5 lb increments.  

I can tell you each day how much total weight I've lost .. I can not share with you how many pounds I have to go.  Currently, I have 1 more pound in my current 5 lb goal .. and then I will celebrate and choose another goal.

As you begin to get closer to your overall goal .. or within 20 pounds of the height/weight chart/goal .. then we all have some choices to make. How do you look? (I rely on my own opinion and those of "trusted" family/friend ... if you have lost a large amount of weight sometimes we can not accurately see ourselves because our brain hasn't caught up to the new view in the mirror).  How do you feel?  

When I get to where I weight 174 lbs (2-5 lbs at a time), I will reassess looks, feel, ht/wt charts, etc.  Then 2-5 lbs at a time I will gradually go down and keep reassessing until I am at a weight I feel comfortable with, even if it is a few pounds above the height/weight chart or somewhere within the height/weight chart.  

Thanks for posting your questions and feelings .. am sure many of us feel the same way.  Would encourage you .. and ask you to consider .. posting your feelings and thoughts along the way and sharing them in the community.  It will be an interesting perspective as you go through this, a little at a time .. and get closer to your goal weight.  

Would highly encourage the entire community to jump in on this post and share your thoughts and feelings .. and do the same throughout your journeys.  Will share with you that my perspective has changed from when I started to now .. and I'm much more at ease with the time and process it takes.  After all, it took many years to get where I was .. and it should take an adequate amount of time to lose it in a healthy manner that I can now sustain.  It's not a diet .. it's a lifestyle ..

I so agree with all that has been said thus far.  It can seem like such an overwhelming task if we look at the total number of pounds to goal instead of small goals like 2-5 lbs.  I sometimes think the same way, knowing in my mind the way that I looked before at goal weight and realizing that I am not even close to that now.  But I also know that I am not as heavy as I have been and that I am moving in the right direction.  For now I am focusing on continuing to move in the right direction and now really focusing on specific numbers of end goal weight.  I'll tell you a secret though....I'd sure love to be 5' 9"...LOL!  However, the reality is that I am only 5' 5" and try as I might, that part won't change a bit.  You can so totally do this!  Just focus on small goals at a time and after a bit you will be able to look backward and say WOW....look at how far I have come!  

I also totally agree that it takes our brain a while to catch up to where we really are as we loose...it sometimes seems to get stuck and it takes the help of friends and family to help us see ourselves as we really are.  You hang in there JoeysFoxyMamma!  We are rooting for you!  
Thank you so much for the support. I really do need it! I am a strong person but when it comes to my weight, well, I need a bit more support that normal.
I am trying to do the whole 2-3 pound goal as I go but it doesnt help when I gain 3 pounds in one week, I think thats due to gaining muscle. I will talk about that a bit more in the weigh in chat.
Well, Sweetie .. we're all a TEAM here and there are weeks that go up from time to time for a variety of reasons.  Am truly looking forward to the new Food Journal that will be coming soon .. between it and the exercise tracker .. (and the weight tracker) .. we'll be able to get a clearer picture of what is going on and be able to offer even more suggestions/information/support/encouragement and motivation.  

You hang in there sweetie .. looking forward to hearing what's going on in the chat.  Also, are you weighing at the same time each day .. and in the same clothes.  There can be a 3 pound swing from morning to night, especially with different outfits.

((Hugs))
Ive been there. Not at your weight but the point where you think your body wont be small.
Dont give up! I weighed 200lbs (im 5'2'') for along time, all of a sudden the weight started coming off. Then I got sick and was down to 100 lbs. Ive gained most of it back now and am struggling. I find if you think about it all day then you will tend to feel guilty  when you dont exercise  and if you eat what you shouldnt. Drink as much water as you can. (keep in mind you can over drink water) Another thing Im trying is running when Im mad or sad. When I would usually go to bed and cry, RUN. I am going to do that now. :)

All the best, and enjoy every pound of weightloss. It might not be much but its SOMETHING.
Lucey12 - So very nice to see you posting and what Awesome observations and plans you have put into place!  You have taken the feeling of "guilt" and have learned it is destructive .. THEN you took the feelings of "mad" or "sad" and have transformed them into the positive action of "RUNNING!!!"  YOU ROCK!!!!  

Thank you for sharing your success and "can do" attitude!  It's a pleasure to have you here and sharing your journey with us.  Very best wishes .. and do celebrate each and every pound .. it is hard work and you have put in the effort .. that's 3,500 calories you saved and/or worked off!!!
The reason for the running when Im sad or mad is I have anger problems where I want to take it out on other things. After a friend who had the same issue, broke his hand punching a wall when he was mad, he was told run, do push ups, anything. So I applied this to myself and it really does help. Any time Im mad, I run. I just got back from a run, and my neighbour peed me off, so Im heading out for another run. Thats what it takes and its what will help loose the weight!

As a side note... Does anyone else feel like doing it all again after working out?
I just want to keep going once I start, its the starting thats the problem.
Starting is ALWAYS the hardest! I sit at my PC alot saying i dont wanna LOL but as soon as im moving i feel great sometimes if im listening to my MP3 player while doing exercise i will keep dancing around for like another 20 mins after running cus i  feel so good!!
Lucey - Not only is it wonderful behavior modification, the exercise you are doing is a such a huge stress reliever!  I need to adopt your example, let you be my inspiration .. and every time I am sad and lonely, I need to go out for a walk (run).  

In answer to your side note .. Yes .. once I have worked out, I feel SOOO Much better that I keep wondering why I drug my feet when I feel so good and I want to go back for more.  Think it's the oxygen and the endorphins!

gokuangel - So nice to see you!!!!  Am relating to the "sitting at my PC alot" .. and now think I should dig out an old CD player .. and get going!  

Thanks ladies!!!
With all due respect to online calculators, most give out different results so the most important thing is when YOU feel happy with yourself.