Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle Expert Forum
Why is it hard for type 1 diabetics to lose weight?

Questions in the Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle forum are being answered by James Beckerman, MD, Cardiologist. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: cooking tricks, diet books, exercise tips, fad diets, fitness, health and hype, healthy role modeling for children, living a "green" lifestyle, medical treatments for obesity, metabolic syndrome, obesity, restaurants, smoking cessation, supplements, surgical treatments for obesity, trends in dieting, weight-related medical conditions

Hi! So I've heard that it is hard for type 1 diabetics to lose weight and I was just wondering if someone can explain why?
The challenge is that unlike nondiabetics, people with diabetes require very strict accounting of their sugar intake so that their insulin injections can be appropriately regulated.   A lower sugar diet is one of the more effective strategies to help with weight loss, so people with diabetes can get into trouble if their blood sugar levels get too low.