11 year old and tampons

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

11 year old and tampons

I hop that I am posting this in the right place.  My daughter is 11 years old and just had her first period last night.  My ex-husband and his girlfriend are trying to talk my daughter into using tampons, but I still think she's too young.  Am I being over protective?  If not, what sorts of problems can develop, besides TSS, in an 11 year old using tampons.  Thank you.
There are no problems that I know of that can result besides TSS by using tampons.  I got my first period at 12 and used pads for my first one.  The next month I decided I couldn't handle pads anymore and started using tampons.  They have ones called slimfit or junior tampons, try to find some of those for her to use.  It was so much better for me because I hated feeling like I was wearing a diaper all day.  Just make sure she knows to change them every 4-8 hours or as needed and stay away from scented tampons.
Oh and TSS is so rare.  It can be prevented by changing at least every 8 hours and using the least absorbancy needed.
If they're not uncomfortable for her, she can use them. I think I started using them when I was 12. When my neice started her period, she didn't use pads at all- she went straight for the tampons. As long as she changes them when she's supposed to, there's VERY little risk of TSS.

And remember, even if she starts using tampons, she's still your little girl!! :)
i started my period at twelve and i used tampons my first time just make sure there the ultra slim or junior ( there like as skinny as a pencil lol!) also dont let anyone tell her what she should do let her try both and see wich one she feels most comfortable with!!
I started my period around that same age and my mom introduced me to tampons and pads.  I prefered the tampons b/c I didn't want to be somewhere and have to worry about my period at that age.  I chose them b/c of what some of my friends went through and experienced before I got to that stage in life.  She talked with me about them and then let me decide what I wanted to do.  I don't think there is anything wrong with tampons as long as she knows what there is to know about them.  If you are still uncomfortable about her using them then talk with your ex or your daughter and then take it from there.  HTH!
I agree with souza. It's a very personal choice. I was very active, and pads just didn't work for me. When I started getting periods my mother always had both pads and tampons available to me, and I'm very thankful to have such a kind mother.

You might want to ask her father not to push her to make personal decisions based on someone elses experiences. It's ok to kindly suggest one based on the young lady's lifestyle. If she's very active tampons are a great choice. Or if she tries tampons but isn't changing them regularly, you might suggest she use pads.

It's not about what anyone else thinks, it's about what makes her feel comfortable and what's healthy for her. Best of luck!
You definatly will want to let her know about both and let her choose, I also was about that age, and I chose pads, but that only lasted a little while.  As far as your dd, I hope she has happy regualr periods, for me, I had to use super plus tampons, and overnight pads, and change them both every hour for 8 days straight.  so if she gets them as heavy as I did, it might be the only way she can make it through a school day to use both.  So do teach her about both!!
I remember when I first starting using tampons- I was shocked to learn that they are meant to go in pretty far.  If not, we all know how totally uncomfortable that can be.  If she does decide to wear them, let her know about that--I believe most young girls think the tampon will become lost or something.
I got my periods when i was 11 and cos i am really active and at that age i was doing both athletics and swimming so i used tampons from my first time and have never worn a pad( couldnt with my uniforms so) i have not had any problems.
First of all!!! Your ex husband shouldn't be suggesting anything!! He's a man and cannot make any suggestion!! Geeze.. I would have freaked out if my dad got into it with me about tampon or pad! Ugh... All you have to do is offer her both, tell her to try each one and let her decide in private which one is more comfortable for her. Buy both for her and place them in her bathroom and let it be her thing... Tell her you're there if she needs you... Then the next cycle she gets, she'll ask you to buy her pads or tampons or both.

Congrats to her!
Allie: I didn't have that kind of relationship with my dad, either... but our daughter does, and I think it's awesome. We went out to dinner and celebrated her first period, at her request :-) She couldn't wait to tell *everyone*, lol. And why not - I can't think of anything more natural or normal :-)

Anyway, our daughter started when she was 11, and I introduced her to both tampons and pads. I bought her a box of the junior o.b. tampons and a pack of pads, taught her how to use the tampons, and I've let her decide since. It's her body after all ;-) And if it helps, I've used tampons myself since I was 12 and have never had any kind of problems at all. Tampons are fine for any age :-)
Hi i think im a bit young to be on here  but i ... well i am off to scarbroug on saturday and on sunday my whole familly is coming over to see us and  we are supposed to be going swiming i have to jus started my period today ( nt my first ) and i really want o go  swimming i use pads both feel uncomftable ...i want to use tampons but i dont know how to tell me mum who uses pads...please sumone help ....
R playtex soft comfert ok for an 11-12 year old??
I mean, like, I got some yesterday and they seem ok , but ...i need opinions.
is it ok for a 11 year old to wear tampons??
and will it leak if shes swimming while wearing a tampon?
I think that wether or not your daughter uses tampons is your discision and not your ex's girlfriend.  I am sorry that you weren't there in this very important time of your daughters life.  That happened with me, I got my first period while my mom wasn't at home and the baby sitter had to help me.  
I am only nine but i have a period and i use pads but i swim for a club so i am going to start using tampons my friends all where tampons they find them soothing xxxxxxxxxxAnniexxxxxxxxxx
I KNOW THAT I SHOULD NOT BE ON HERE xxxxxxxxxxAnniexxxxxxxxxx
I was the kind of little girl that hid everything from my mother. I don't think I started until I was around 14, but even then, I did not tell her I started my period until 2-3 months later. I felt extremely embarrassed to tell her that I started. To this day, I have not once used a pad. I think it is perfectly fine for your daughter to use tampons, if she wishes.

In addition, from my experience of growing up with a step-mother and step-father, I would like to say that by my step-parents trying to be "parents" to me, it made me feel extremely depressed. When I was staying with my mom I felt like my step-dad replaced my dad. When I was with my dad I felt like my step-mom replaced my mom. I suffered significantly from this, and was a very depressed kid that hid everything from her parents, because I felt like I was being deprived.

I am just telling you how I was a kid. Let your daughter maker her own decisions, to some degree. It is rough for a kid to grow up with step-parents that act as their maternal beings, or at least it was for me.
I have a 5 1/2 year old and want to know what  tampon is she actually opened one and asked what is that pink thing...I am baffled don't know to tell her it when women menstruate once a month Help..
ok, i am really confused right now. my mom told me that you can't use tampons until you have sex. i don't know if thats true and i dont know how to tell my mom that she is wrong and that i want to use tampons to stop missing out on swim meets. i really don't have a close relationship with my mother and i find it extremely uncomfortable to talk to her about those kinds of things.
You can use a tampon before you have sex. You can use one from the very first time you have your period, regardless of how young you are, assuming you are responsible enough to change them on a timely basis, and not forget that they are in there.

Since you aren't close to your mother, I would suggest maybe talking to your school nurse, or a parent of a friend if you are closer to one of them.

And please keep in mind, there is NO age limit to buying tampons yourself. If your mom won't buy them for you, there is NOTHING wrong with getting them yourself. I'm sorry you have missed some swim meets. That stinks. But you will get through this and before you know it, you will be completely used to it!
i di dnot read other post but from my point of view she is  only 12 i do not think she should use tampons until she becomes sexually active but you dont say that to her iys just nothing else has been going up there nothing should i hate pads now that i use tampons but i di not use tampons until after my 3rd child i was well into my 20's and it was becuz i wanted to go swimming but i will say times have canged so i dont know how im gonna deal with this with my daughters.
Tampons and sex have nothing to do with each other. It's all about personal preference. When I first asked my mom about using tampons, she was very surprised, but supported my decision. I found that it reduces "accidents" and the risk of embarrassment at school.
im 12 and started my period 3 months ago. Ive been using pads but wont to go on to tampons . i have no idea how to tell my mom. pleese help!
how do i ask my mom that i want to start useing tampons ive been useing pads forever and i want soemthing better cuz everytime i wear pads i have a leek at school and its imbarrising but i never tell her wat do i do
you're just going to have to sit her down and talk to her about it. let her know how embarrassing it is and that you would like to try tampons.
like how would i start a conversation like that im confused by the way im only 14
Next time she is going to the store ask if you can come with so that she can help you pick out some tampons.

You're mom gets her period too, she will understand. You should never feel embarrassed to talk to your mom about stuff like that.
i would just sit her down and talk. my mom was always open with me about that sort of stuff. like grose said your mom is a woman. she has periods so she'll understand. it may be hard but don't be scared. remember she's your mom. she loves you and will listen. tell her you've been hearing about how tampons can be better than pads. or that you would just like to try using them for a while to see how those work.
I'm 14 and I'm a swimmer, dancer, gymnast, and softball player. When I got my first period I was 11 and I was at swim practice and I notice red, so a female coach pulled me out and gave me a towel and took me out of practice. Ever since then I have only used a pad once, however it's so uncomfortable, like a diaper and mine once folded over and I bled through my pants (not fun.) I have always used tampons since (scarred for life) and they are so much easier, more comfortable, you don't feel it if you put it in far enough, but the problem is getting it out.

Also if you get good tampons, they don't leak, I have heavy flows and if you do too, use the super ones and you can go swimming or playing anytime
ok ll try this weakend ill let u know how it went thanks
My daughter was 9 when she started her period.  She is now 11 and has had her period for 2 years.  I have not let her use a tampon yet; however, she is going into the 5th grade and I think it's time to let her try them.  My husband is a little scared to let her try them but as a mom  I know it's not as messy and uncomfortable as pads are.  This month I think I'm going to let her try a tampon and see which one she likes best.
Thanks for this, I am the dad and won't be telling her what she should use even though she would not object to me talking to her about it.  She has to go swimming tonight and that's why I came here looking for an answer.  Her mom was out last evening when she came to me and told me she found blood when she went to pee.  I said something fairly stupid to try and comfort her but then she sat in my lap and cried and I told her she would always be my baby no matter what.  I'm so happy she felt comfortable to share this special moment with me, even though she wasn't at 11 the least bit happy about this change in her life.
hi i'm 11 i got my first period at 8 and 11 months old exactly i want to know what kind of tampons i should get
Have fun on your holiday and just tell your mum what you have told us. That you are going to holiday and you don't want to sit out and miss out on the fun.She will probably suggest tampons and if she doesnt then you could just text her or email her asking nicely if she could buy you some next time she goes out. make sure you bring loads of pads and tampons on holiday  with you as you never know how many you will need. Good luck
hun,hi im 12 almost 13 and you absoulutly do not have to have sex before you use a tampon ur mom either doesnt know that or she just doesnt want you using them,if i were you i would talk to her and ask her why she lied to you
How old do you have to be to wear a tampon?
I am 11 and I want to use tampons but I am scared my mom will say no you are to young but she is my mom's mom and born in the old days idk if she knows what tampons are . I really want to use them 1 b/c I have a swimming pool and love to swim.2 I play a lot .3 I am move around a lot