Abnormal Menstruation.. Please help?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Abnormal Menstruation.. Please help?

Recently, I started taking birth control again, Ortho 777.. I've taken this before when I was 16, but now I'm 20. I had no abnormal side effects. When I started taking this recently, I was put on antibiotics a week later. I know that effects your birth control effectiveness so I took it all regularly. I was also put on Loratabs for the pain. I started my period a week before my green pills which is when my period was SUPPOSE to start before I started the birth control. I have now been on my period for 10 days and even skipped my green pills from my last pack in hopes my period would end. It hasn't and has showed no signs of stopping.. I know I should see a doctor and I will if this persists, but I thought maybe I could get some advice here first. Should I stop my birth control?
It may just be the antibiotics affecting things, though I've never heard of breakthrough bleeding caused by antibiotics.  Did you miss any pills?  It could cause something like this.

If you didn't, maybe it's not the right pill for you.  Our bodies are odd.  Sometimes something can work fine med-wise at one point with certain types of medications, but if we try it again down the road after stopping it, it isn't as effective.  You can talk to your doctor and see if this is a possibility for birth control as well.

And skipping the active pills probably wasn't the best way to try to stop your period (I'm assuming you went on to begin the next pack?).  =\  When I was taking it so I had one period every 3-4 months (different pill), I eventually ended up with a really bad, really long period after about a year, and my gyno said it was something normal to be experienced when taking birth control that way.

Definitely consult a doctor with what to do.  Your bleeding should stop eventually, but your doctor will know the best way to go about making it happen more quickly.
These can be due to hormonal imbalance and the bleeding should stop in a few days. If the symptoms worsen then I would advise a gynecologist’s evaluation and getting drugs like oral contraceptives and tranexemic acid prescribed to arrest the bleeding.

I hope it helps. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.