Abnormal PAP Smear even with Gardasil?!

I'm 21 years old and I have been getting a yearly PAP smear exam since I was 18.  I have never taken birth control pills and have had oral sex since 18, but (vaginal) sex for the first time (with a condom) a couple months back.  My OBGYN had just recently told me last week that I had an abnormal pap smear.  This is the first time my test was ever abnormal.  She had also mentioned that even though I tested negative for HPV, an abnormal PAP smear usually leads to HPV and to come in for a colposcopy for further testing.  She also said that this was very common and I shouldn't worry.  I find this very hard to believe since I had taken all three shots of Gardasil around the age of 12, where I've read that it becomes stronger as you grow older when taken at a young age.

I won't be seeing her until next week but I am very concerned.  I was wondering if anyone could help me better understand the situation and what to expect? Thanks.
Most of the time, abnormal cell changes on the cervix are caused by certain types of human papillomavirus, or HPV. But it is not mandatory that abnormal PAP is caused only by HPV. it can be caused as a result of other vaginal infections, STD’s like trichomoniasis or other bacterial or yeast.

You should follow up with your gynecologist and as she has advised get a repeat PAP smear and a colposcopy done.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you so much doctor, I really appreciate your response.  I had just found out recently that the colposcopy was normal :)  Guess I just had abnormal cells that healed over time by my own body.