Absence of menstrual period
I am 18 years old and I have not had a menstrual period in 3 years. I don't know what is causing it. I've been too nervous to go to the doctor about it. I was wondering if you could give me some examples of what may be causing this. One of my friends said it may be ovarian cancer while another said it may be ovarian cysts. What do you think?
Do you exercise rigorously?  Cheerleading, etc???
You should definitely see a doctor, but there are several reasons why women have irregular cycles.
Was your period normal before?
It was normal before. I started it when I was 12. I don't exercise rigorously. I'm more of a couch potato and book worm. Some of my friends have got me worried that it's cancer.
You should certainly talk to your doctor.  If you're 18 years old, I would assume that you have regular annual exams.  There are other reasons for absence of periods besides cancer.  A chat with the doctor would at least ease your mind about that.
If you are 18 years old and not menstrating, then you have a problem. See a doctor very soon.  You may not ovulate or you may have other problems.  Your problem doesn't mean that you have a terrible disease.  But what is worse is that if you don't take action now, what you may have could become worse.

Please seek treatment very soon.  A gyn/ob relationship is important to have.  You have nothing to be nervous about.  Most woman see the gyn/ob yearly and have no problems.

You are a woman now, and you must take care of yourself and take charge of your health.  If you don't, no one else will.

Good Luck.
My family does not have health insurance. This is my senior year in high school. I'm not going to tell my parents because they already have enough stuff going on that is stressing them out. With bills, work, and their own health problems. I don't know what I'm going to do. Just sit and wait and see what I happens I guess.
What about your parents? If you are still in school and living at home then you are probably still covered on their health insurance. May I suggest that you talk to your mom about all of this and see what she says. If you are unable to do taht and are certain that you are without benefits then you could go to your local health department and seek medical atention. You will probably be seen for free or a very minimal amount. And if you are in college you can go to the health clinic on campus for advice on what to do..
You might also find an OBGYN who is willing to work with you with payments. Either way, you really do need to be seen by a qualified physician.
Please keep us posted and I hope you get better very soon!
--J
I have never seen a gynecologist and I'm kind of nervous about it. I also don't really have the money to spend on doctor visits and any treatment that may be involved. Whatever my problem is, it is been going on for 3 years now. It really scares me.
Sitting and waiting is not the solution. What about the local health department? Oh and I also highly suggest that you pop your head into the school nurse's office. She will know exactly what is available to you in your area. School nurses are highly qualified and eager to help.
And please, please talk to your parents. I am the mother of teens and yeah, life is hard with bills and medical problems, but I would DIE if I found out one of my children were keeping something like this from me. In fact I do have a teen daughter with the opposite problem as you. She has had a period for almost 4 years straight. Her problem has been mostly managed with health isurance but there was a year that we had to change insurance and she was "pre-existing" and so we had to pay for all treatmant out of pocket. But that is what parents do. I think it is very noble of you to be thinking of them but think for a moment if you had a daughter that was keeping a medical problem from you.. Please talk to them. Talk to the nurse at school, and don't just let this go.
Worried about you-- J
YES the school nurse is an excellent idea. i think a lot of kids/students forget about the ole school nurse. they tend to think she/he is just there if you get sick, have to take meds, have a headache..things like that. GO SEE HER/HIM. if you are  concerned about insurance and your parents. the VERY least that could come out of this is that the nurse could tell you a place like Planned Parenthood (i went when i was 17/18) and you could go there. its CONFIDENTIAL, qualified dr.s, and practically free. they charge you based upon any income you have..if any. just dont ignore it or hope it goes away. so much more could happen to you physically by ignoring it and later on in life you'll wonder why you didnt do anything.
if you were getting a regular period and now are not, your body is trying to tell you something. please listen to it. 3 yrs is too long.