BCP and medication

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

BCP and medication

I have been looking for information on what medications to avoid while taking birth control pills? I have been told to avoid certain cough syrups and antibiotics; is this true?
Avatar n tn
for the best answer talk to your pharmacist.
penicillin is the only one you really have to be careful with. use a backup method during and for at least 7 days after.
Avatar n tn
I agree with shy girl, go to www.webmd.com and look up the bcp you're on and it will tell you what you should avoid.  After you get a perscription for medications the pharmacist will most likely talk to you about interactions.
can anyone confer with me, how long do you need to use a backup method for after penicillin?!

I'm only guessing 7 days, as it is 7 days after anything else that disrupts the pill cycle, ie. missing one or two.
KTowne Definitely starting to feel... Comment
Shannon79 commented on renae176's status
MH Community Mgr commented on Bubulous's status
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals