BROWN DISCHARGE AFTER PERIOD ENDS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

BROWN DISCHARGE AFTER PERIOD ENDS

I KNOW THAT HAVING BROWN DISCHARGE AFTER MY PERIOD IS NORMAL BUTS ITS ALSO ANNOYING.  DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS OF HOW TO GET RID OF THE DISCHARGE THAT WOULD NOT BE THREATENING TO MY REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM?  SUGGESTIONS OF HOME REMEDIES WELCOME..THANKS!
Viewing 1-200 comments:
do you have a lot of it for many days?
i know my period usually lasts a grand total of 4-5 days and about 2 days of the brown discharge but the brown discharge is light. i just use a "light" tampon or a "light days pad". i personally dont know of any way to get rid of it as i would think its just part of the process. im happy when i see it get brownish because it means my period is ending!
I used to douche monthly but my doctor suggested that I stop b/c I would get a bacterial infection each month after douching.  That's why I'm looking for something other than douching..thanks for the input guys.
you might try a douche?
maybe someone can support this but i heard that douching is not good. our bodies have a way of cleansing itself naturally and using a douche can flush bacteria upwards causing infections?
I don't think you have anything to worry about. At the end of all my periods, it is light brown. Thats a sign of old blood. If you use tampons it gets backed up basicly. Mine always starts about one full day after I thought I've stopped. I will not use anything and then the light brown discharge begins. I hope this is helpful to you.
my doctor told me that the brown discharge is old blood.
i have the same thing...and i've been going crazy trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with me....i can actually feel my womb close and the discharge is not only brownish but also smelly.  the doctor told me that i have a high bacteria count but because i don't have any lasting symptoms that he will not perscribe anything for me. last month i purchased a feminine wash called FRESH CONTROL INTIMATE CLEANSING GEL.....so far so good...i've just finished my period and so far so good.  the discharge still there but no smell so far.  I do believe that the discharge is the old or last bit of blood but the smell could have been the bacteria build up...try is out...
The brown discharge has always been apart of my cycle at ending but now that I am older I have noticed this light brown discharge to be of a certain substance close to a gel. I find it very strange. It also reminds me of when losing the mucus plug when in labor. Anyone ever experience this?
I have the same brown spotting - but it's BEFORE I get my period for several days.  Has anyone ever had it BEFORE their period???
Yes, I get it before and after. It's just old blood. At the beginning of the period it's probably because our uterus isn't in full menstrual contractions yet and it's taking a bit longer to reach the outside of our bodies, hence the brown old blood.
I have the brown discharge to its before my period but its not liquidy its kinda like a mucus like a snotty apperance
Sorry, I'm new to this. Did not mean to direct that towards you, but to the general panel as a whole.
I have a brown discharge pretty much the entire 2 at the max 3 days. Do you think that is normal? I recently tried douching but after douching I had a very clammy discharge, with a small amount of odor. It itched  of course. I'm wondering if eve may have changed their solution. What do you think?
oh thank god! I thought I was dying. I'm so glad I found this site and that there are lots of other women who have brown discharge after a period. For 20 odd years I was irregular up to 6 months at a time. I would bleed like a stuck pig for 7 days and stop. Then when I hit 40 I started having periods so regular you could set the calendar by them. Now I am heavy the first three days and light for 4 and then brown infreq drainage up to a week after. And then tonight I saw pink gel like the mucus plug, so I quess this is menopause?
okay so my periods have been regular my whole life, i start almost on the same day every month and i stay on for 7 days(sucky huh!). well last month after i was off my period for about a week i started spotting brown blood adn then it stopped after a few days. well this month i had my period and a week later i started leaking bright red blood but now its like a brownish-clear discharge. I had freaked out and went to the ER and they did some std testing but said the bleedinng was okay and that a lot of woman have it, but not me! Im sure i dont have std's because i was pregnant and had my baby 6 months ago and i was clean of everything and my husband is faithful and im faithful to him. Plus the docs said they would call if i had something and they havent called. Tomorrow im going to set up an appointment because i feel achy (not crampy) down there and i feel kind of crappy everytime i urinate. Hence i thought maybe i was getting a bladder infection but i dont know if that would mess up my system and cause spotting or brown discharge...does anyone know? I also have a 6 year old and i still always had normal periods after him...i know something has to be wrong though cause i can just tell that somethings not right with my body. Ive been feeling not so good the last few days but i figured i caught something from all the sick people when i went to the ER cause there were soooo many, plus ive had this headache for like 4 days so im thinking my body has to be reacting to an infection or something. I dont know but if one more doctor tells me its just stress or hormones im totally not going to settle cause i know its something like an infection. Im gonna make them check me on everything lol
I totaly agree with you about the docs, some times I think they dont know the real facts because for the past yr my periods have been brown instead of red and for the past 4 months I have been spotting brown every other day and the docs always have the same answer for me after I ask what may be the problem, and that is, "well, it might be from stress or it can be from an infection". Well I know its not from an infection because I took a pap smear and also a pelvic exam and the results to both came back fine. I also know that its not from stress either because the problem started way B4 I became stessed. I'm stressed out now because of the issue and not being able to figure it out. Its stressing me out even more now cause my husband and I are trying to concieve (conceive) and well no luck and I know that the problem has something to do with it. Does any one have the same problem with your periods being brown and or spotting every other day and or at the same time not being able to concieve (conceive)? The brown periods that use to come every 25-28 days for 7 days was okay, I could dill with that but now its every other day and having to wear a pad every other day realy sucks. Does any one have any good advise or solutions that may help?
The "snotty" stuff...or..mucus is usually your natural sign of ovulation. It's very rare...but some women will actually ovulate (normally 2days)  right around there period, rather than the weeks between their period.

As far as doucheing goes...you have to be very careful not to tighten during the cleansing process.
You MUST read the directions..and you're better off with a natural ****** like vinegar.(I know...that smell is NOT appealing)

Hope this helps
I would not suggest doucheing because I work at the Drs office and she tell people never to do it.  What works for me is RePhresh and It is spelled just like that. I thought my body was going crazy until I found it. Helps with everything especially the odor with the brown discharge (which is old blood!)
i started having brown discharge the first time having sex after my period stopped. However, it happened again 3 days later when i had sex for a second time, and now it has been happening for 2 days everytime you would normally have clear discharge that keeps the vagina healthy. Does anyone think this is anything to worry about?
Im freaking out a little. ? is it possible to have this sort of thing all month? jesus i hope not :)
i usually have a brown discharge after my period is over but its been 6-7 days that my period has ended and then suddenly i had some brown discharge.
Is this "left over "from my period or what?
I think im in the same position as you possibly...
on top of the fact that im a hyocondriact... i have the same thing you do and i have been trying to figure it out... im planning on going ot the doctor this week but im still trying to read to figure it out... after i get my period 10 days after i have the brown discharge for a couple days then 15 days after i get my normal period...
humm. anyone know what it is yet? i am going to the doctors today to figure it out? it may be a sign of missing one of your pills if you have. I havent so i am even more confused?
I will let you girls know what the doctor says so i can help you out!!
its weird too,
i kind of feel like i have my period - heavy stomach? what is going on!
This just happened to me today. I always have regular periods and the brown discharge at the end of my period. Today I have brown discharge and my period ended a week ago. Did either of you find out what this is from? Is it just old blood? I was researching online and found this could be from ovulating. I'm a hypochondriac as well, so I'm obessing to find an answer now. Let me know if you found anything out.
I have had brown discharge after my period for 7 days now.  I don't understand why this is happening? I'm 42 and my periods have changed a lot.  I'm heavy for the first two and a half days, then I brown most of the time.  My periods are now 26 days instead of 28 days.  This has been happing for the last 6 months.  Have any answers for me?
Ok girls
So i braved it and went to the doctors. It was nothing, just spot bleeding. The doctor suggested that if it happened continuously for 3 months that I should change my pill. She said that sometimes your hormones just change and you need to increase or decrease the strength of your pill. So dont worry about it.. just make sure you are not missing any periods - then you can worry!! :)

Now, I just finished my period on Saturday morning (well i thought I did) with no sign of blood for 2 days i decided to have sex with my partner again, but i couldnt even get that far, as when i got aroused i started bleeding again. What is going on with our bodies girls?
I was just wondering if brown discharge that occurs about a week after you thought you stopped your period is any cause for concern?it lasted for three days and it was extremely light. I usually get brown discharge before and directly after my period, but i have never had it a week later.
I had this "brown discharge" problem last year once and went to the doc.  He said it was just old blood and not to worry about it.  Well it happened again - last month about a week and a half after I ended my period and then it is happening again today - about a week and a half after I finished my period.  I am not on the pill, and no I am not pregnant (took the test).  I don't have any STD's so I am freaking out a little.  The thought of the worst case scenario (the big C) has popped into my head but seeing how I am 27 and have no history in the fam - I think that it is completely unlikely.  Also do the rest of you feel small cramps, and bloating when the discharge starts.  
Hi! I recently had a child a couple months ago. My first period after my birth was normal.The second one was normal too(bleeding wise).However,  the last two or three days of my period I got this horrible odor.It smelled like something literally died.Whenever I changed my pad it'll leave but only came back hours later. Also, a very light brown discharge was constant for about 7 days after my period(with the odor). The odor eventually stopped. Sadly, it reoccured my next period. I recently went to the doctor about the odor and he prescribed medicine,but the odor wasn't as strong as it normally is. So, he didn't get the full-effect that I got. It smells so horrible. Anyone ever had this problem?
I don't think there is any way of getting rid of the brown discharge. I find it very annoying because it interferes with my sex life and I hate wearing a pad after I know I have finished bleeding due to me not wanting to stain my panties. It also makes my vagina itch.
Thanks for all of your input, I have been researching this stuff for days and finally found this forum.  I have a lot of the similar symptoms that you all are experiencing.  I have 3 kids and didn't have any problems until the last one, he is a year old now.  About my 3rd or 4th period they started to get rather heavy for like a day or 2 where I really had to stay near a toilet for that time period.  The entire period would last 7 days and then the brownish mucus would start up.  I will also pass one large clump of brown-tinged mucus that is very similar to a mucus plug (one of you mentioned that, I am not alone ;).)  I am a bit worried about it, because I am experiencing some cramping along with it.  I did some research and found Mittelschmerz which is essentially cramping in the middle of your cycle and can coincide with Ovulation as can the mucus.  The only other thing is that I had a c-section with my most recent baby and I don't know if that has anything to do with this.   Thanks for all the input if anyone has more insight please let me know.
Ok, I am out about 2 weeks out  from my period and am having this wonderful discharge, kind like snot to be honest, sorta scares me when i think about it, cancer and alll.....do you all think it's just old blood, I didnt spot right after my period ended, just now which is 2 weeks ago!!!!!!
I'm not on the pill nor pregnant but I have kinda same problem. After my 4 days period, I have brown discharge for a week by now. I don't think there's anything to worry but it's a little scary and annoying. Anyone knows what is it and any option to treat? Thanks
ok about 2 weeks ago i got what i thought was my period but after talk to my sister who is a nurse I realized it was what they call an early miscarriage or a fetus that didn't attach. I started my period again a week ago and for the past week i have been having brown/pink discharge that wont go away. I'm on Yasmin Birth control  and i take my pills regularly. Could there be something wrong with me i have never had this discharge for so long after a period could some one please give me some advice. Thanks
Since you had a baby recently - You might have a retained placenta and the smell is indicative of a possible infection in your uterus.  I would get a second opinion asap.  Did you have any problems establishing a milk supply or with your milk coming in?  I only ask because problems like this can sometimes also be indicative of a retained placenta.
Has anyone ever experienced light brown discharge almost everyday? Before, after and in the middle of periods? I have seen several obgyn's and this has been happening for over a year. They cannot find any infection or abnormality (thank God) and my pap smear's are normal. However, I cannot believe that having a light brown discharge everyday is normal. Can anyone relate or help.
A few years ago, I had the smae problem. I was constantly spotting brown nastiness. I too had normal paps and no sign of anything wrong. My OB finally decided to take some action. She performed something called Cryotherapy. Basically she froze my cervix to remove all of the cells so that they could regenerate. I had watery discharge for about a month (it sucked), but then, like magic, no more spotting. I later found out that this cryotherapy is typically used for women with HPV, which I did not have. I guess my doc was being innovative. Like I said, it worked like a charm!

Oddly enough, it has been 3 years since then, and everything has been normal up until this last period. My husband and I are trying to conceive. My period started 13 days ago and was normal for 5 days. I have been spotting ever since. SO FRUSTRATING!! Any ideas?
My periods have been like a clock for 20 years and in the last six months they've changed and become a little unpredictable. It's shortened to like a 24 day cycle and it doesn't ever seem to end. I'll get the usual 3 day deal and then it will be that brown discharge for like, 10 more days. Not so sexy. I'm 36. Des this have something to do with age? I've never had kids.
It's been over a week since I got off my period and I just started having this brown discharge almost like I want to start again, is this normal or is it a sign that something could be wrong.
Hello everyone.  I have also had the same kind of brown discharge over the last year or so, so I asked my doctor and he said it's related to ovarian cysts when they rupture.  It doesn't mean necessarily that is something bad, but it's a good idea to get checked out.  They usually send you to do an ultrasound to see your ovaries and uterus.

Hope this helps.

Neta
IM REALLY FED UP OF MY BROWN DISCHARGE ITS GETTING ME DOWN I ALSO GET ABDOMINAL PAIN LOWER BACK PAIN AND I GET NO SATISFACITON FROM MY DR,IM LOSING NEARLY ALL THE WAY THOUGH TO MY NEXT PERIOD WHICH IS MISERY ANY ONE ELSE FEEL LIKE ME? IS IT THE MENOPAUSE I WONDER IM 40 I JUST WANT A HYSTERETOMY I WELL FED UP
I have notice recently that whle having my period mu vulva get really itchy, so I usually scratch, and after my period is over I usually have a rash.
Anyone knows anything?
OMG! It's comforting to see that I'm not dying! I have this brown discharge before AND after my period!! I usually will bleed for a couple days, but I will have the brown discharge for like 5 days or so before and after my cycle.  I also have an odor and I have no idea why! I'm 21 years old, don't have any kids, have never been pregnant, and haven't been sexually active for months. Any ideas?
soo...im on my first pack of birth control, and according to the pack i was supposed to start on wednesday...it is now friday and i havent started, but i am getting a light brown discharge...does that mean im suppose to start soon??
ok i am 26 and i have dark brown discharge and i got off my periord on the 16th and i have had this for about 5 days now and i have a pad and i am always having to change it cause of all the discharge plus there is a bad smell any ideas.
Hey nic6le82! Im havin the same problems as you, im not sure what to do about it or hwat it might be. Has anyone ever thought of maybe a yeast infection or a urinary trac infection???????????? HELP...
I just finished my period on three days ago and then today I noticed a brownish discharge and it also feels like I have light cramps, so it sounds like we are in the same boat. It isn't that heavy though - is yours heavy? I don't think it is a UTI cos I have had them before and they have never given me a discharge. I am hoping it is just old blood and will go away soon. Last year I got a similar discharge when I ran four pill packets together so I wouldn't get my period ( I think that was just break through bleeding) and that time it lasted three weeks!
I am in the same situation as a lot of you women/girls.....I am 43 and used to be like clock work.  Now I am having a period off and on for about 7 days, then it will stop and start again, and end with brownish light discharge  for about 5 day after that.  Sometimes the whole process lasts about 2 WEEKS!!!  I don't know what it could be other than the pre-menopause symptoms.  My doctor told me on e-mail that this is not worrisome.  The OB RN told me to come in to have a uterine biopsy, depending on my symptoms.  I think you have to be bleeding heavily for long periods for them to do the uterine biopsy.  Anyway, any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
How old are you?  Just curious because I am 43 and think it might be a sign of early menopause.  My aunt and mom and grandma went through it early.  I am not on the pill though.  I don't think it is an UTI either because of where it's coming from.  (and when)  Almost like it is the leftover old blood.
Ooops that last message was for you....sorry nic6le82
i have had brown discharge now for about 5 days after my perriod but it only comes out when i have a wee or when i have sexual intercourse!!!!! can anyone help me ?
Apparently the docs say it's normal.  They say it's old blood that didn't all come out with your cycle.  I had mine for days after, almost ten!  I am 43 though.  How old are you?  I think mine is pre-menopausal!

good luck
I'm 20 years old, never been pregnant, haven't had sex with a man (I'm bi and in a relationship with a woman) in over 6 months. But for the past month or two, I've been having really heavy brown discharge after my period ends for up to an extra week or two, it's annoying and interferes with my sex life. The last two times I've been to the gyno this year the day I go magically whatever problem I'm having clears up, so she said everything looks fine and my pap smears are normal too. What gives?
im just about to finish my second pack of birth control and my period came a week before it was supposed too along with this brown discharge. I started having this discharge once i started the birth control last month when my period ended last time but it only lasted about 2 or 3 days longer then my period. This time i have had it for about 4 days, and still have it. I start a new pack of pills on Sunday. Anyone got any ideas? Is it just old blood? I am sexually active but i have no other issues, no pains, nothing, just this brown discharge after my period. HELPPP!
I'm so glad I'm not alone I just turned 18 when all this brown discharge started coming, it tends to come to me a week or two after my period, my period would last about 3 to 4 days and then stop. It comes in the form of a gel like blob and all i have is spotting, I know its dried up blood but it tend to spot for a couple of days and the smell is really strange, if the discharge has a foul odor does it mean I have an infection? I'm concerned because I've read that its normal to have the brown discharge but I'm unsure if smell is a factor, is it suppose to have an odor if it has a foul one is it bad? This is my dilemma.
I am 42 and have been getting my peroids up to a week early each time.  My peroid usually will last 5-7 days with the first 3 days being really heavy, then it starts to taper off.  But after that i get a brown watery, stringy discharge for about a week or more.  I went to the doctor last month and i had a bacterial infection, which was treated with antibotic (antibiotic).  The doctor also removed a polyp.  I have to go back for a transvaginal ultrasound to check for more polyps.  Does anyone think this might be the start of menopause, or something else?  The docs just keep saying that it is ok, but it is very worrisome to me.
thanks!
Hi im a gynocolgist and its all just old blood no reason to freak out ladies :P we all have it
I have a question...I had sex on the 17th of sept and the next day i got my period. and it lasted 7 days and then it ended and a few days after that I started to spot brown discharge. and it has been for the past 3 days.i have been having some abdomenal (abdominal) pain but it feels like im bloated  is that normal?
I'm not sure but we all seem to have started this "thing" around the same time.  Is it global or something in the foods that we now consume that is triggering this?  Because I never had this before and it just strated one day out of the clear blue. I had four kids and nothing and here it is all of a sudden I'm discharging foul smell and as quickly as it comes it disappears
Is it possible to get this kind of discharge a week after my period ends? If not, what could this be?
OMG I AM VERY HAPPY I FOUND THIS SITE BECAUSE I DIDNT KNOW WHO TO TALK TO HOWEVER I ALSO GET THE SAME SYMPTOMS YOU GUYS HAVE IVE NOTICED AFTER I HAVE SEXUAL INTERCOURSE I GET THIS BROWN DISCHARGE WITH AN BAD ODOR.....IVE TRIED SHOWERING AN WASHING UP 1 OR 2 TIMES A DAY IT WILL GO AWAY BUT IT COMES RITE BAK I REALLY NEED HELP ON HOW TO GET RID OF THE SMELL BECAUSE IT'S GETTING OUT OF HAND THE DOC TOLD ME I DNT HAVE AN INFECTION SO I DONT KNO WAT ELSE IT COULD BE ............PLZ HELP AND HAVEE ANYONE EVER EXPIERENCE THIS
Period ended last week.  Now having cramping in lower abdomen and back (above tailbone).  Feels like just before I am to start.  Not a strong pain, but crampy/achy.  Petrified of doctors and don't want to go.  Is this normal for some people to have this?  Help!!!
i have the same, but after my period i get the brown and some time EXTREAMLY white discharge and i get really tichy.

i don't understand ?
:(
I HAVE BEEN TO THE DOCTORS LOADS OF TIMES MY PERIODS ARE 28 - 36 DAYS APART LASTING 7 DAYS WITH THIS BROWN DISCHARGE AFTER I GET A WHITE DISCHARGE SOME DAYS EACH MONTH BOTH DOCTOR AND NURSE SAID ITS NORMAL . I WANT TO TRY FOR A BABY NEXT YEAR AND WORRIED I WONT BE ABLE TO GET PREG. PLUS I CANT BELIEVE DOCTORS WON T DO SMEAR TESTS UNTILL 24 SO IVE GOT 2 MORE YEARS. HAD A STI TEST DONE THAT WAS FINE WHEN RESULTS CAME BACK
I had a heavy period this month for 5 days and now 2 days following having brown discharge.

I want to get pregnant this month and am wondering if this messes with my ovulation. Should I start trying now or next week? I know I should be tracking my mucus to see when I ovulate but there's this brown discharge in the way.
Okay...here's my story.  I had a baby one year ago.  After I had her, I had very, very irregular bleeding.  It lasted on & off for 3 months.  Then, once I started having "regular" periods, the bleeding would last for up to two weeks.  EXTREMELY heavy in the beginning, then mostly spotting at the end.  Finally, I went to the doctor as I couldn't take the constant bleeding.  He put me on birth control.  I did not follow the directions, as I skipped the white pills, so that I wouldn't have a period (I know, I know - bad decision!).  That worked up until July.  Then I started bleeding, even while taking b/c.  The bleeding lasted for two - three weeks.  Then the discharge started.  It was a brown/gray discharge.  It would occasionally stop, for maybe a day or two, but then start again.  The worst part of it all was the smell.  It actually smelled BETTER after having sex.  Finally, I went to the dr.  They said the there was gardenella (bacterial vaginitis).  I went on antibotics for 7 days.  All cleared up.  Had sex the day after I went off of antibiotics, started bleeding (brown color) during sex.  Lasted for two weeks.  The smell also started coming back.  Went to the health store to get some medicine.  It has helped the smell considerably.  
Then this month, I actually took my b/c as directed.  Had brown discharge two weeks before period.  Period started.  Period is ending.  Now I am having brown discharge again with a horrible odor - smells like something died.....
I apologize for this being so long, but I'm really freaking out because it's been one thing after another.  All I want to be is "normal" again.  Thanks for any help anybody can give me!!
I will get my period for a few days really heavy then it stops and then a day or so latter right up till ovulation I get brown discharge...it starts out almost clott like and then turns very light and just a tiny little bit but it works out that i really only have nothing for a week bf the next period starts. I always used to spot bf period but now its just after very wierd
ACIDOPHILUS.  My doctor told me that it "balances your pH." It's a probiotic that boosts the good bacterias that the body makes. You can look it up youself.  I've had the smelly, brown discharge every since I had my tubal.  When I take this stuff, even when I have the discharge, there is little or no smell.  No matter how hot it is, how much I sweat, exercise, etc. no smell or at least not nearly as strong - even if I'm wearing some weak deodorant. It's a vitamin, just a couple of pills per day.
Have anyone every tried to ****** but not with the solution that comes in the package but just with water ONLY. Its really helpful and water is the worlds solvent
tail-end brown/black bleeding that lasts for more than two days is due to a hormonal dysfunction usually associated with a decrease in the production of progesterone, it tends to be recurrent. Besides being associated with the above stated hormonal dysfunction it can also be associated with a  condition called adenomyosis...which is a form of endometriosis. Also, the tail-end bleeding can be associated with adenomatous hyperplasia, which deals with the lining of the uterus. With the later two conditions the bleeding usually lasts for several days.
I totally can relate to you girls. I've been having blood/ brown discharge that lasts for weeks after getting my period. Sometimes it is watery and at times its this thick blood clot. My period was normal until last year and i only had one partner ever since. It seems like I have my period twice a month and I have to wear pad almost everyday. Sometimes when there is no blood, i get this white discharge and has strong odd smell. It also always itches..so im wondering if its due to wearing pads almost everyday or is there something wrong? It is interferring with my sex life since it usually comes out after intercourse and have strong odor. What do you guys think it is?
Hi oXoME,

I've been having similar problems to what you've mentioned above - my periods have never been very regular but did fall into a 30 - 35 day cycle until Feb-March when I have a 39 day cycle!! March - April I was expecting about 35 days with the previous being so long but after 29 days I started having a bit of brown blood, only enough to notice after wiping and nothing like what I've had before - usually come on quite heavily right away. Anyway spotted for about 4 days before coming on and bleeding normally for about 8 days. Stopped bleeding and resumed this brown blood/discharge which is sometimes just when I wipe, other times there's small clots in the liners that I've been wearing. I've also noticed a bit of a smell but not sure if I'm just imagining it. As you mentioned about it interfering with your sex life, I've had the same. Had sex for the first time in about 3 weeks the other day due to all the bleeding and afterwards there was (sorry if tmi!!) what I can only describe as a brown puddle on the sheets. I was mortified and almost in tears, convinced there's something awful wrong with me!! I've had to register with a new dr and have to see the nurse next week before I can even get an appt with the dr but feel like I'm going to go mad. I'm also really getting concerned that I've never had a smear test! I've not helped you at all and have rambled loads but I dont really feel too comfortable talking about it and my partner seems to think there isnt a problem with this happening although in all the years we've been together I've experienced nothing like it and it feels sooo good to get it off my chest... Are you still experiencing the same? Are yo going to see your dr? People keep saying on all the forums I've looked on that its just old blood working its way out but its not very pleasant is it and i'm concerned as its never happened before
Its called spotting nothing to worry about and I dont think there is anything to minimize it. Its a natural process just like the period is. Its the last remains of whats left in the endometrium when the lining sheds.u just need to wait it out thats the safest thing you can do. i m sure it can be annoying.  but like someone said, when you see it you know your period is ending. Try to be careful with the deuce. They do more harm then help.
Also, there could be another culprit for "some" of you.  

Spotting between periods and/or after periods, etc. use to happen to me too.  Found that in my case, it was simply due to my taking a vitamin supplement containing "iron".  I found that "every single time" I took an iron supplement or a vitamin containing iron; or, "ate" anything iron rich, I would spot for several days.  

In my case, it was ruled, without doubt, that iron containing supplements and/or high iron rich foods was the cause of this symptom for me.  Apparently, my body did not need the extra iron and it was found to be one of the annoying symptoms of taking in more iron than my body actually needed.

Hope this was helpful to you.
I just had the contraceptive injection a week ago. I stopped my period two days ago, and now its this dark brown discharge.
Does anyone know how long it will last, because the injection lasts three months and I can't be on for that long!
I have a boyfriend!!!! :(
I'm just annoyed, and worried.
Can anyone relate, to the injection thing?
Ok so here is my story, I started a new pill in Feb. and I noticed that in the past month I have been having a brown discharge. It is not just after my period it starts out as a light brown creamy discharge with a slight odor, then I get my period. During my period the blood is mixed with a normal brown discharge and it is a little clumpy. Then after my period is over I have a dark brown clumpy (not to be gross but it looks like poop) discharge. That goes on for about a week then it starts all over again...

I have no job and no insurance if anyone can possible give me some sort of reason for this discharge please help me. And what I can do to get rid of it.
I thought I would join this forum as I have no idea what next to do.

About a year ago I started havign discharge before my period so I went to the doctors who put me on the pill. That didn't work so they changed the type of pill. That didn't work so they did swabs and blood tests. They found nothing so they did a smear test. The results for that we ok so they sent me to a gynaecologist who did a scan inside my womb and said I had a cyst on my ovary and some polyps. I had an operation to remove these only to find out I didn't have a cyst or polyps. I have now been told I have endemetriosis (which they removed) and pelvic inflammation cause by the endemetriosis (which they gave me antibiotics for). I was told that they washed out my womb and I should be ok. About 12 days later I started spotting again and went to the doctor who then sent me to another doctor who just changed my pill again. This has been happening for a year now and I am getting married in a few weeks. It is really upsetting me that I don't know what is wrong and nobody seems to want to help. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.

OK ladies, I will try to offer some constructive advice.  First, some background.  I've been having the light brownish smelly discharge about three weeks now.  It started right after taking antibiotics to treat a UTI (urinary tract infection).  I took these for a day and a half, and suddenly had this weird smell.  It was the end of my period, so I was confused at the time whether there really was a different kind of discharge or what.  Now that  my period is long gone, I know that it was unrelated to my period.  (I've always had super regular periods and aside from the occasional UTI, exceptional health in general.  I'm 37, no kids.)  I had the inspiration to have a DanActive, a probiotic yogurt drink because I suspected it would help. I suspected that I had disrupted some kind of bacterial balance with the antibiotics.  I stopped the antibiotics, started taking tons of cranberry pills and having DanActive on most days.  Things were improving.  then I ran out of DanActive, and a deterioration.  Yesterday I read this forum, and noticed the person who posted about Acidophilus.  Thank you!  It prompted me to research the possible connection.  This is exactly what is in DanActive and other probiotic yogurt products.  Yesterday I had two DanActive drinks and plan to do the same today.  I had stopped the cranberry pills a while ago because the UTI was gone, but I read yesterday that cranberry also helps to correct the Ph and good bacteria.  I notice an improvement and hope to finally nail this thing.

On the topic of UTIs, I notice some people posting about sudden urges to pee, and discomfort.  This is a UTI.  It can be serious since if untreated it can move into your bladder, and then into your kidneys, which is REALLY serious.  You need to drink a lot of water, take cranberry pills, or at the least drink cranberry juice for a mild infection.  If it gets worse you need antibiotics, but be sure to restore your bacterial balance by having probiotic foods or supplements.  This is because antibiotics destroy ALL bacteria, whether they are good or bad.

You can easily prevent UTIs by taking cranberry supplements in small amounts consistently, and by peeing before and after intercourse.  Especially right after.  Also, be sure to wipe front to back.  UTIs happen because bacteria from #2 enter the urinary tract by friction during sex.  That's why peeing right after sex will flush out any bacteria that got in there.  I used to get UTIs a lot before I did these simple things.  I have avoided them completely for two years until now.  I made a stupid mistake and didn't pee after sex.  Incredible that that one thing triggered all of this!

Good luck and and if you have any luck with any of what I have suggested, please post- there people can benefit.  Also, if there is an antibiotic connection with any of you, please post as well.
I am having the same problem. I started on June 18th and ended on June 22.  On June 26 I started spotting with the brown blood and have been spotting with it ever since.  I'm so worried!  :(  If it doesn't stop by next week I am going to go to the dr. Also, I'm not on any birth control or have any STD's.  I might be pregnant but won't know until tomorrow morning.
I don't think there is a way to stop spotting after your period. I think all us women go threw it.
i'm also having brownish discharge now. i had my period last week and lasted for 5 days. on the 5th day it looked like my period ended so i had sex with my bf. but 1 week later i'm having brownish discharge. what could be wrong?
Follow up!  After my last post on July 1st I looked up what Mirracle posted about RePhresh.  I'm so happy I did because it is totally connected with the probiotics of my previous post.  There are two types of RePhresh: a daily capsule with probitics designed specifically for when the Ph of your vagina gets out of whack due to antibiotics, your period, etc.  There is also a creme product you can apply with an applicator that lasts three days.   I was already improving thanks to the probiotics in DanActive, but decided to get the RePhresh capsules to be really safe.  After two days it was a miracle, and so far so good despite getting my period.  At first I took two capsules a day since that is what they say if your on anti-biotics, but then one capsule a day.  I plan to stop it right when my period is over since I haven't  had any signs of the former discharge or smell in the last few days.  What a relief!

Here is the web site: http://www.rephresh.com
hi

mines all started 7 months ago when i had my baby, it was a c-section and i was sterilized at the same time due to 2 c-sections previous, at first i thought it was just down to my body recovering, eventually a got really sick of the persistant discharge and worked up the courage to see my gp, he thought at that time a had a infection which i did got antibiotics it went away then when i got another period it was back went back got checked for another infection but this time there was no infection, the doctor said that it was just down to hormons,he tried me on the contraceptive pill but the pill never agreed with me it just made me bleed heavier, so 3 weeks ago he put in the mirena coil, my period was lighter and painless but the discharge is still there on a daily basis, he did say its gonna take 3 months to settle things down, hope so? i got sterilized to not have any more kids but this discharge has completely killed our sex life, i now have postnatal depression due to the constant worrying i do because of this,

does anyone else notice that this discharge is more common at night?
and that you get stomach dis-comfort minutes before you notice the dis-charge?
Hi,i do have the same problem.spotting/brownish discharge for 10 to 12 days aftr my periods.i wud advice all women with this problem to undertake a PAP SMEAR SCREENING TEST  to Rule out early cancer without fail before trying out other things.Thank u all so much for sharin ur experiances
ok. This is along the lines of what everyone else has been talking about except a bit different. I've had the brown discharge a couple days before and a couple days after my period for awhile now. I know it's old and it had not worried me. My last period just ended, I had the light brown discharge for 2 days then it returned to normal color. It was normal for 2 days, NO color (brown, red, or pinkish), then the next day i started spotting the brownish blood again....Anyone ever experience this or have any comments on this?? please... thanks
DO NOT USE A DOUCH!! if you have to take a tampon dip it in some peroxide and stick it in you and leave it for 5 minutes douching takes out your good and bad bacteria and its not good to your health
I had similar issues.  Started spotting after a period (period only lasted a day and 1/2) 2 months ago- spotting was light brown.  Then when I would have sex it would spot the bed and was smelly.  I saw this forum and figured I would wait til the next cycle to see if the old blood flushed out.  My next period was extremely strong for two days and one light day.  Then had 3 days of no spotting and then back to the spotting again!  I went into the gynecologist and she found an old TAMPON in me!!!!  She said it looked to be like 3 months old.  I can't believe I did that!  I've always been paranoid of such.  I asked her about Toxic Shock.  She said that this is extremely rare and that not much of a worry these days.  She gave me vaginal antibiotics due to my cervix being a little irritated and otherwise all is healthy.  So that was MY story!!  Check it out ladies!
My period ended on the 15 September.  I had intercourse with my husband 2 days later.  One day after we had intercourse, I started having brown spotting.  I see that it seems to be a normal thing.  I'm just a bit concerned as I have been having period like cramps and I just feel sick.  Can it be an infection, as I have never experienced anything like this before?
i understand lady me 2 everytime i slept with my boyfriend i would bleed but when we broke up for a min n i slept with this other guy i dnt bleed so wuts up with that???????????????? and i have brown spottin when we mess around and a foul smell what could it b????????????????///
I too have the same brown discharge and every month when it comes it gives me anxiety because it just comes on and has for a year now.  I never had this before.....what changed?  I realize I am older but geesh.  I went for a full work up last December including and HiV test because thru all of my research I came upon something that suggested that could be a cause.  Ok, that brought on the panic attacks.  Went to the doc.....everything was normal.  I used to have UTI's from mild to the point of urinating blood.  One extreme to the other.  I tried a natural product with less sugar than Cranberry Juice and I pee after sex and have not had one in over a year.  So to sum this up....just old blood:-)  I have stressed out enough for us all, sleep easy tonight ladies!

i'm scared. 53 years old. probably perimenopause.  but only symptom is periods every other month or twice a month, i never know.  but this time, ended two days ago and brown like dirty water still coming out of me and it stinks to high heaven.  from all the reading i just did, i should try acidopholis or see if there is a tampon stuck inside of me.  don't douche and don't worry to much. relieved but want to get to the bottom of this.  the discharge is easy to deal with but the smell is over bearing.  no one said how much acidopholis.  help! please!  can a tampon be felt with my own fingers?  can it get so stuck inside of me that i am not able to find it myself?  that has happened to me one time about 25 years ago but i found it myself.  thanks for any help or more specific suggestions.  
A friend of mine had this happen..the doctor pulled it out for her.Had a fool smell and stunk up the whole room,she said.
She and her husband were drinking,had sex and she forgot she was on her period.It got shoved up in there and couldnt be felt.
there are also infections that cause smell,to be safe..see..a..doctor
Ok, i just stopped my period two days ago. I had sex with my boyfriend on Monday. Today's tuesday and i've had light brown discharge. Is it possible i could be pregnant?
I ended my periods 2 days ago and now i experienced brown discharge mixed with a little blood for one and half day.this happens every month.is normal or is there something wrong with me?
Noodle Chick-You could not be sure if you were pregnant until at least your next period and if you miss it go see a doctor girlfriend.

Everyone else-I have this nasty brown stuff too and for a while I was afraid it was an STD but I got tested and am fine so I'm annoyed and go see my doctor and she changed my birth control so you guys could try that, I'm not sure if it works yet though.
i have the same problem and i was like so scared and didnt know what to do because i am sexually active and have not been using protection i thought it was because i was pregnate but i took two pregnacy test and they said negative so idk then my period was light red and brown but i was thinking it was the blood pressure meds i was taking but i wasnt sure but rite now im bleeding brown i guess thats not bad because its just old blood but imma see how it goes.....
i really think that it happens coz of the birth control pills..coz wid me it only happens in d months when i have an i-pill after unprotected sex.
I just wanted to say I love you girls :]
I'm so glad I found this, it was so much help!
i have been on the pill (yasmin) since november and didn't become sexually active till january now being march my boyfriend and i had sex 2 without a condom where usually doubly protective but not these two times and one of them was pull out method my periods are always consitant and i have about 8 days before my period but yesterday i woke up with extreme cramps then found a little bit of brownish blood a super minimal amount and the cramps continued today however no blood does anyone know what this could possibly be? and you opinions on likely pregnancy which is unlikely i'm on the pill and never miss and take within the same time frame every day?
i've stopped my period march 3rd and now 13 day'z after it started again...it this normal?
Hi!  Can anyone offer me any advice on what I've been going through?  My husband and I have a 6 year old and we've been trying to have another child for the past 2 years with no luck.  : (    My periods have always been very regular.  I can almost always predict them to the day.  Anyway, my last period started on March 2nd and ended around the 9th or 10th.  A couple of days ago, I started having a brownish/pink discharge that I noticed when I went to the bathroom.  I've never experienced this before but I tried to not really think anything of it.  Well, it continued on to the next day so I started doing research on "implantation bleeding" which brought me here.  I'm currently on day 3 of this discharge.  I have no idea what's going on.  There's no clots or thick, "clumps" in it, (sorry for the T.M.I...LOL). it's pretty thin and I can get away with just wearing a panty liner all day.  Anybody have any suggestions or advice on what this could be?  Thanks....
hi i am 36 yrs old an i have four children one miscarriage. i just had a tvt (bladder lift) about 6 months ago. my periods have always been normal. but slowed down to were i only have a period for 3 days. but inside i have the cramps for 2 days before i start my period. i started the brown discharge after the surgery and brought it up to the obgyn and he told me it is old blood. but i do not think it is all that. i do not think its my stress or old blood. i really think that it is something else. not to mention i have not had sex in over 7 years. that i am not on birth control and that i do sweat like crazy and keep a fan on all the time to keep cool. is this menopause and is something seriously wrong?
i m glade i found this site but still for safe side ill go to doc but after seeing all of ur comments  about brown discharge thing gave me a relief .
i m also have this problem but the thing is i never had this problem before this is 1st time i m having brown discharge and today is the 2nd day i mean how long it goes and why i m having this now because before that i was fine .
any one know?
Well Im hoping to b pregnant but i had kinda heavy brown discharge. Ive been researching it on da web n i read Itz still possible to b pregnant. Iv had unusual headaches n moodswings n like cravings im getting excited bt i dnt wanna get too excited=( can someone plz help me i wanna noe... Wen do i need to take da pregnancy test??
So I'm in the same boat as you are... I'm going to be 20 years old... I've been having back pains and that brown discharge for the past 3 weeks. I'm scared crapless right now and I don' t know what to do. I don't want to go and see a doctor.  I'm on BC and I think this has happened to me once before but i'm not sure... I don't know what to do. Everyone keeps telling me that it's normal and everything. Help??
ok so just a couple of days ago the brown discharge stopped for the day and then it started up again. Just a hour ago it was bright red. it's not even a whole lot but it's so annoying... any one know what is going on? I'm scared to go and see a doctor and honestly i really don't want to to and see a doctor. any adivce????
ok so just a couple of days ago the brown discharge stopped for the day and then it started up again. Just a hour ago it was bright red. it's not even a whole lot but it's so annoying... any one know what is going on? I'm scared to go and see a doctor and honestly i really don't want to to and see a doctor. I was thinking it was just my normal period (i'm on brith control and i get my period every other month instead of every month) and since i'm on brith control could be slowing my period down?? I don't know. I'm just confused... it's been over 3 weeks now since the brown discharge started... any adivce????
My period ended last week, then ive had light discharge that was normal, but now its a brownish color and smells really bad.. its very embarrassing.. its been going on for 2-3 days now, ive tried using like feminine wipes or whatever they are called but they do not help.. i havent had this before and ive had my period for like 4-5 years now and this is the first time ive had a discharge like this.. can someone help me with finding out whats causing thiss!?!?
Hi cant i get some help? I have brown discharge everyday for a whole month.I always wonderin what is wrong wit me but i read some comments and everyone seems to last for a few days. What do you think?
ok so i found this forum and though i have your stories are similar they are also really different. i just want to figure out whats happening with me =/
ok im 16 i was on birth control (forgot the name) and because we're tight on money i didnt pick up my prescription which was like a month and a half ago. a lil before that, i became sexually active with my boyfriend. we broke up 3 weeks ago and i havent had sex since. once i did have my period everything seemed normal till 2days ago when it ended or atleast i thought it was done cuz of minimal blood, but then i saw brown on my panties. so for the past two days ive been spotting not lightly but not heavily, brown. and just a couple hours ago a caramel color. it doesnt smell but still im worried. ive had a lil bit of brown at the end of my periods before but never this much or for longer than a day. help ? what could be wrong ?
thanks so much ! seeing im 16 and cant really go to the doctors about it..
ok im 16 i was on birth control (forgot the name) and because we're tight on money i didnt pick up my prescription which was like a month and a half ago. a lil before that, i lost my virginity to my boyfriend. after that we did it often like every 2-3 days. we broke up 3 weeks ago and i havent had sex since. once i did have my period everything seemed normal till 2days ago when it ended or atleast i thought it was done cuz of minimal blood, but then i saw brown on my panties. so for the past two days ive been spotting not lightly but not heavily, brown. and just a couple hours ago a caramel color. it doesnt smell but still im worried. ive had a lil bit of brown at the end of my periods before but never this much or for longer than a day. help ? what could be wrong ?
ok ladys I've had this prob forever I finally found a good solution for the most part. these are your options.....if you have the brown discharge take 2 birthcontrol pills together...its works most of the time but if that doesn't work stop taking your pill pack let your body adjust and have your period let all the old blood out then throw away ur old pill pack and start fresh and see of that works for you. also a lot of women suffer from this...u may also need to switch your birthcontrol to change your hormone levels....hope this helps somebody out there
I been mostly getting a heavy dark brown thick discharge than my regular period. And I been getting it a lot I kow that brown blood is old blood and ur body is cleaning it self and I usually get it first.  And I get worried that there is something wrong with my body bc I get it more than I get a regular period.
O.k. this message board has been very useful but...
I'm 40 now & I feel like I'm always ovulating (if that is what the discharge is all about) & I don't want to do the "oral" thing because I love my partner. I haven't any kids & I don't use the pill so I don't know what this all means.
I really miss being active but I'm too embarrassed to see this gross stuff that I never see in pretty porn. Yes, I'm a perv which is why I'm holding back til I know for sure I'm really in the CLEAR. Any suggestions or facts?
ive been "on" my period properly for a few days but had the same manky browny crappy stuff for 2 weeks before. Just come off the pill and been terrified witless for weeks.  Feel slightly better having been to doctor today and said its cause Ive come off the pill and my hormones are all over the place.  Glad its not just me in a way
Im 18 and been having my periods since i was about 10 or 11.

I got my period a few days early this month, it started off really light, this lasted for a few days, then it became a normal flow for say 3 days...
After that iv been lightly bleeding, its a sort of brown colour.
All in all, the whole things been going on for 3 weeks and counting now....

Has anyone else had anything similar?
It's really annoying me now that it wont just stop!
hey, im having the same problems as a lot of you. I had brown discharge for a week before my period, and finally when my period ended, directly after it, i had brown discharge, and i've this many times before and im only 15. I don't understand. I heard that it's old blood, but i don't understand that sometimes it's lighter and will go away, and then the next day heavier. I may ask my doctor, but the next day i go back is in 2 months.
I Have The Same Problem With The Smell.
Do You Know The Exact Name Of The
Cleansing product.
Like what's the brand name.?
Everytime I have sex before my
period is do it comes earlier than
usual. And when I have sex when it
leaves it comes back and I discharge
for More Than usual. Anybody went
through something similar or the
same thing.?  
I have been experiencing for 2 months now, a light brown discharge coming from my vagina. It has a strong odor. Its not necessarily that fishy, sometimes. It's a weird smell. At first it would leak through my panties and stain my clothes and make my clothes SMELL HORRIBLE. It's a liquidy residue. Doesn't seem to be blood-related whatsoever. I dont understand what is going on. This seems to be happening in between periods. I was douching to prevent myself from leaking this discharge on my clothes and having it smell. I havent had sex in 3 months and my partner has never had other partners than me. We use protection: The pill and condoms. I'm a fairly clean person. And quite private. I don't even want to go to the doctor's because I AM THAT EMBARASSED. I want to know if anyone can make me feel like I am not alone and help me figure out what is going on! I've been reading people's responses and everyone seems to have a jist of what I am experiencing, but from the impressions Ive gotten, they've either have had kids and it's happening, going through menopause and have somewhat the same symptoms.. or experience something similar after or right before their period. I am 21 years old, never had kids, I sometimes get that dark brown discharge from my period so I would be able to distinguish if this was something like that .. but it's NOT. Liquidy, light brownish discharge with a strong odor. I've only had one partner in my life. So it's not like I sleep around or have changed partners. I want this resolved before I have sex again and I am too embarassed to talk about it with my partner. He would understand, but I just dont want him to smell it. Its gross, even to ME. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!
I was wondering, if you came up with a remedy to get rid of the blood? I have the same issue, after my period, but  I use Rephresh personal gel lubricants, after every period, to help hurry get rid of the brown stuff (old blood). I started using it because I was told to stop douching because I was doing it to often, and getting an infection. I love rephresh, lol and I really hope it's safe for me to keep using as I have every 4 days or after my period, which ever is necessary.
Hi Im a  female in my 20s who has had my period for a week then the brown discharge for a week after. My period stopped and all was fine there was no blood on my panties or anything, so i thought it was safe for sex. Little did i know during sex I start to leak brown liquid and it smelled like dead babies. It was about a week after my period so i was shocked and embarrassed as hell. After that i felt stuffed and when i wipe i have only a bit of brown. My friend felt maybe it was only a sex thing and said i should try using a toy to see if it happens again, and it did. After 2 nights or testing this out and both leading to brown liquid, i was ready to go see a doctor. The night before I went to the doctors i decided to try using a toy in the showers to wash it out, i used my fingers to try to clean out myself and felt something odd. After a few sec of thinking, i realized that there was a day where I remember putting in a tampon but when i went to chance it was gone I thought at the time i just forgot to put one in early. Well as embarrassing as it sounds (but i feel it might be useful to some people), I found my tampon that went missing on me a week ago. As soon as i got the tampon out, i felt so much better, i don't feel bloated or stuffed and after that the brown liquid stopped. I was really worried that it was something major but now im just laughing about it. If any of u girls use tampons and is having somewhat of the same problem, try masturbating it might just help u find ur answer!
Ok, so im 12.i've had my normal whitey discharge everyday for about
a year.so 2 days ago i noticed that my discharge wasnt the yellow-y
white it is normally but BROWN.i have heard of brown discharge but
i'd just like to know what it means.
I might tell my mam later today and see what she thinks.
But please help
hey all, i have a situation i am not sure how to handle. A week and a half ago i had sex but we used a condom. my period came just a few days after that and went away about four days later, which is shorter than usual for me. Well, all was well until just two days ago. I started getting tan discharge. Not nearly as much as the usual blood during my period. it's probably normal, but is there any way i could be pregnant?
i am 18, i have had my period since i was 11, its regular. but my vagina has always itched. sometimes more than others. i dont have an std. ive always had discharge like it never stops, and its a light brown/yellow color. is that normal? recently its been smelling bad too. what do i do? what is it? im not on the pill, and i have had protected sex. ive been reading about bacterial diseases. does anyone think that might be it? please help, im desperate.
Okay so Ive ALSO had the brown dischage with the smell. Funny thing is it only started after I consistantly starting using the new popular birth controll  Nuva ring. all yo can do is wash wash wash the dischanrge will end in 2-3 days after each period, if it consists longer then its time to see a gyno or your family doctor..if you are itchin it could be one of 2 things, a yeast infecion (infection) which now can be treated with an over the counter oral pill that clears it up in a day or 2 (known from experience totally reccomend it) or it could actually be that you're allegic to yor pad or tampon. Just like babys get diaper rashes from certain diapers some women get irritated from certains brands of pads or tampons.
Just food for thought,.
i have a question if last month i got my period sept.9 witch isn't my regular menstal day which is suppose to be the 24th and i ended my period on the 17th and nowi have brown discharge. could i be pregnat or is it sum form of implantation? i also would like kow if implantion bleeding is alwa light ik??
Hi, I've been having a problem with brown stringy discharge a week or so after having my period.  It burns and I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem.  If I douche will it help ease the problem?  It really is interfering with my sex life.  If anyone else has the same problem and has found a solution please post a comment.  
I have a similar problem. My period lasted 2 weeks with a light flow and I've had gunky brown discharge for a week now and it still hasnt gone away. All this three weeks I've had nasty cramps. Any advise?
I've been having almost black foul smelling discharge and have been trying to figure out what it is before going to see a doctor and I came across this site that may interest all of you it's in relation to Feminine discharge and kind of covers all areas of it in brief medical terms, but very helpful none the less. check it out :D
http://www.brooksidepress.org/Products/Military_OBGYN/Textbook/Discharge/Discharge.htm
hi, im only 13 years old turning 14 soon and I started having my period around 12 years old, My periods are normally red, really painful and very very heavy, the longest I've had so far is 16 days non-stop I never know when im about to start because it comes at total random, just like that. and I just started about 4-5 hours ago and it was a dark brown, like old blood, no smell and I keep getting really painful stabbing feelings in my lower stomach and I slight itching now and then, but im trying to convince myself its old blood, but with all this talk about pregnancy and infections its making me worried, of course in still a virgin but for some reason im still very scared, I don't even dare to ask my family because its scary and embarrassing and im a shy kid to so I haven't got anyone to ask and im really really worried.
hi, im only 13 years old turning 14 soon and I started having my period around 12 years old, My periods are normally red, really painful and very very heavy, the longest I've had so far is 16 days non-stop I never know when im about to start because it comes at total random, just like that. and I just started about 4-5 hours ago and it was a dark brown, like old blood, no smell and I keep getting really painful stabbing feelings in my lower stomach and I slight itching now and then, but im trying to convince myself its old blood, but with all this talk about pregnancy and infection its making me worried, i saw somewhere that it could be stress? which is possible for me because of school and stuff, I know its not pregnancy because of course, im still a virgin but for some reason im still very scared, I don't even dare to ask my family because its scary and embarrassing and im a shy kid to so I haven't got anyone to ask and im really really worried.
im 18 years old and have been with my boyfriend for over 6 months, we have sex quite frequently and dont use protection, its been a week since my period and i have a brownish discharge and its not painful or anything... whats going on i cant find any propper answers to what is going on. its not pregnancy is it?!?! SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHATS GOING ON xxx
Hello I've had my period 3 weeks ago and for 3 Weeks I've been having a lot of brown dishcharge since then and its so much that its like I dribble pee out !!! Is that normal ?? Please help no health insurance so can't go to the Dr.
Hi gals...i dnt know if its a problem,but i finished my period 2days ago and had the brown discharge,but this morning when i woke up and went to the loo i had light brown discharge again.what does that mean?
hiya

im 15 i finished my period a week ago, and had sex straight after, then i had sex agen a day or 2 ago and after i realised a brown discharge in my knickers and ever since i have been having cramps, i was just wondering if there anything wrong with me  PLEASE HELP :) x
ok i had my period on the 10th n i dont know exactly how long it lasted but theni had sex on the 20th unprotected, n then i had sex on the 28th and i used protection but after sex i had a brownish bloodish dishcharged and have had it every since wats it from does anyone know, is is possible its an std?????
I am having similar problems also.  After reading everyones posts.......I am thinking that a large portion of people on here are trying to conceive or have had a baby.  I have been trying to conceive and when you are trying to conceive there is no protection being used such as condoms or birth control etc.  I am thinking some of the discharge could be old semen mixed with other normal things leaving the body....and also people that use birth control do not use condoms......so maybe  they are having old semen leaking out of there vagina also.  I am not a doctor....just using some common since.

I went to the doctor also and had a exam and she told me that everything is o.k...but I am going again feburary 25 2011.
Fresh Control intimate cleansing gel .. if it really bothers you that much. This stuff will make you clean like no other!
I have it a few days before and after the "rough" days, it's just blood getting started or finishing up. So these 4 days turn my 5-7 day periods into 7-9 day periods. But I also have super heavy and severe cramping that accompines my periods!!
ahhh this is so reassuring!!! I am only 17 and am sexually active.. has anyone had an extremely odd odor? I have had this brown discharge before without the scent but i have just finished my period monday and since then (it's now wednesday) the odor is unbearable plus today it actually leaked through my underwear and my sister even pointed out how bad it smelt, very vinegary.. i was so embarrassed luckily i was at home, was wondering if there was anything i could use to get rid of the smell because i'm going to find it so hard to get intimate with my boyfriend now - oh the shame!
Well I iam 16 and I always get the brown spoting after my period and I only get it for 2 days tops but some how this month ive had it for 2 weeks is that normal?? Ughh I hate it it smells groos wat can I do??
I am 18 years old and i have been having this same problem !!!! it first of all freaked me out that mii period stayed on for seven days when it usually stays on only 5 but i just figured it was due to some stress and as if that wasnt enough five days after mii period was fully gone off during sex with my boyfriend of 2 years i started to bleed....not heavily but it was unusual because i NEVER bleed during or after sex....the next day mii period came back on but instead of the blood being red it was brown???? ive had brown discharge before and after mii period goes off but never have i had it for almost 6 days now...i have a dr's app. next thursday and im freaking out y does our bodies have to go through so much crap ladies ?!?!?!?!?!?!

I am 26 and this month my "period" should have started on the 9th but it was a brown discharge and i had it for 6 days then it disappeared, was this and irregural period?? I do have a hormonal imbalance for the last year and my doc said i should wait it out but i have never had this type of discharge!!! HELP!!! Is it normal or should i go and see a doctor?? This happen exactly around the time my period was suppose to be on, there was a little blood every now and then!

old bloods the discharge eh but wut if ur period ended like 2 weeks ago and then u start to get the brown discharge and even more blood again but not too heavy what does that mean?... and it happens all the time like thisnow for at least the past yr
I got my last period April 7th and it lasted until about the 17th. I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend at that time and also the weekend after (April 21st-23rd). I'm expecting my next period to be around May 7th but a few hours ago (April 25th) I had a sharp pain, similar to what I've had during my period and very light cramps.  When I went to the bathroom I had a light brown discharge when I wiped and (not to be gross..) there was also some light brown and dark brown discharge on my underwear. Should I be worried?
Also, I took PlanB Aprile 17th/Aprile 18th (early morning hours) and I'm also sick..I've been on two different medications because I've had stomach problems and now and I serious cold/sinus problems. Could this be from taking the PlanB One Step pill?
I just got diagnosed with bacteria vaginosis, because i was having major cramping and brown discharge (this was before my period). I finally got my period for at least 8 days (too long?) and then for about 4 days now brown discharge and it seems to be getting worse after taking these pills not better. Has anyone had this? Since i look everything up on the internet because i'm paranoid, im scared i have an ectopic pregnancy. But they took a pregnancy test and it was negative. ( I Also have the IUD in). Has anyone experienced this?
I'm almost 44 finished my period that lasted for 6 days.Now I have this brown discharge that is going on for almost 7 days.I', so concern that it is making me feel sick.It feels like my period is about to come again.some one please tell me what is happening to me.
If you are  having brown discharge that WONT GO AWAY it might be a uterine infection which I had a few years ago. It is like everything everyone else is describing but lasts waaay longer than a week. You have to get antibiotics. I actually had to take antibiotics TWICE to make it go away. It was horrible. I didnt have sex for months and it smelled so bad. Now every time I have my period I get a few days of that afterward. I don't know if my body is STILL cleaning that crap out or what. I think there is also a cleaning procedure you can get done but with no insurance, i'm not about to go request anything special.
I started my period may 14 2011 for 4 days then 5 days later i discharged with light blood pinkish then following day as well day after nothing and today may 26 very light pink discharge and im cramping this has never happened to me before! Could i be pregnant??
I am 47 (tomorrow) and I have started having the dreaded brownish discharge sometimes tinged pink for a few days after my heavy flow ended.  My periods changed after my last child four years ago (age 43) and have become a bit sporadic in that they are earlier at about 25 to 28 days apart. The flow is very heavy with bad cramping for two days, then it abruptly almost stops...but now I have the brownish discharge for a while afterwards sometimes with a little cramping. I had a LEEP procedure done in 2005 which is where they scrape the inside of the uterus clean and am wondering if another one might help me because I almost feel like my uterine lining is not shedding the right way. I do have two large uterine fibroids also. I did not want to get a hysterectomy but now am thinking that one might be the only solution to end my anxiety over the irregularity and spotting. I have been exercising a lot lately after years of being sedentary (trying to lose weight) so my spotting may be due to that also. Anyway, just wanted to say that this seems to be quite common, apparently.  I'm taking a round of antibiotics in the event it is a uterine infection.  It it clears up after antibiotics I'll be back to relay the news.  
I have the sma eproblem wi th the brown spotting for days after my period. I'm surprised to see so many other women are having the same  problem as me.  This is the first time this has happened to me. I'm 43. Could this be the start od menopuse. It has an unpleasant smell AND IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY.
I'm 19 and I had my normal cycle (7 days of bleeding) and since then its been the occassional spot of brown blood. Its been freaking me out a little bit but my pap test came back normal. Its been 6 days of very very very light spotting but I'm kinda scared. Any advice?
I have the reddish brown spotting a week after I finished my periods is it normal cause it's never happened like that before has anyone had the same problem plz give me advice
I am 49 and just started having these symptoms, my thoughts exactly that it might be a sign of menopause, but the more I read I am just thinking this is normal in a sense. I was just pregnant in Dec. 2010 but lost the child in early Feb. 2011. My body was not able to clear the miscarriage entirely from my uterus. I had to have a DNC which I did mid Feb. This brownish discharge started one day after I thought I was done with my period and so far has lasted 3 days. I too had to start wearing panty liners, and the smell is not pleasant and itchy. I am not on the pill and haven't been for 3 years, so the pill is not the issue. I believe my uterine lining is not shedding the right way, hence why I had to have a DNC.  I will try the RePhresh which is also from the same makers of Replens, which my Dr. subscribed to me in the past due to (lack of) vaginal lubrication. I see they also have a line of Probiotics, but I take that daily so that is not the issue either. Hope this helps everyone! I know it has made me stressed thinking about it, and I too know I don't have an infection. Been married and both of us have been faithful for the past 3 yrs.
seriously i am so glad i found this website, because i didnt know what to do. i live in a really messed up community where going to the gynecologist at a young age (and i'm 18), means you're either pregnant or your going there because you want to get sewed, and im kind of stuck with the medical advice. so i finished my period precisely one week ago. i've been getting the brown discharge for 7 days now. this is the first time i've had it. i dont know who to turn to for an advice but can someone please tell me when and how it stops? thank you upfront.  
i had brown discharge 10days after my period for almost 6-7days. it is very little. but till now i didn't get my periods.I didn't know what could be the reason so, can anyone suggest me something regarding this? i'm so tensed.

By Shruthi26
I have had brown discharge many times at the end or beginning of my period. I don't think it's anything anyone should worry about, unless there are other symptoms. Last month I noticed a horrible smell when I was taking my tampons out. I was in denial, hoping that it was just sweat and blood creating the smell. A few days later when my period was over I was still noticing the smell, along with a brown and yellow discharge that did not look normal. I made an appointment to figure out what was going on. I can't remember exactly when but a day or so later when I went to the bathroom a tampon came out. I was horrified and embarrassed that something like that could happen to me. I must have been inserting my tampons up too far or something because I never felt it or saw the string. The doctors office told me I didn't have to come in if I didn't have any symptoms after it was removed. I didn't have any problems for about 2 weeks then it started to burn a little when I went to the bathroom. So, I went to the doctor and discovered that I had a UTI. I'm currently on amoxicillin. I did end up going back to the doctor because my tampons were uncomfortable to wear (now I'm finishing my period) and I have been having headaches and constipation. My doctor told me the headaches were from stress. She checked to see if I still had an infection and also did a pelvic exam. She said I was fine. I guess I'm just not so sure about that. This period has been weird, as well. It usually lasts close to a full week but I stopped bleeding in about 3 or 4 days then a day or so later I was having brown discharge, like old blood. The only weird thing is that the discharge smells weird but not completely horrible, like before. I guess I'm at a loss so I decided to make an appointment with a new doctor on Friday. Maybe they can figure out if the antibiotic worked and why I have headaches and constipation. I just can't believe that it's all from stress but it is stressful to deal with all of this for sure.
Im not even closes' to my period and I keep discharging brown what does that mean
i'm so glad this website is up because i stop taking my depo shot for the first time in yrs and i been on my period for almost 3wks and lately i noticed dat i've been having brownish discharge and was wondering what was going on?
I missed my period for several months and it finally came on,really light mixed with brown smelly discharge..and its been doing this for almost a month...is this normal???
If you missed your period for several months, was this because of a contraceptive you were taking or did this just happen naturally with your cycles?
ive been having this brown smelly discharge after my periods for a while now. I always thought it was normal but as im reading everyone elses remarks i see that it is not normal for it to smell. I am going to the doctor asap to have it checked out.
I finished my period two days ago and now im noticing this dark brown discharge, i've been reading that it is just old blood and perfectly normal (it doesn't smell or anything), but it rarely happens, i useually finish my period and thats it till next month. I just need some reasurence that im ok down there? can anyone help?
Check to make sure you got your tampon out. Believe it or not, this happens to alot of women.
I was on desogen for 2 years and was taken off of it last month because I was diagnosed with blood clots on both of my lungs and I am only 24.  After I stopped taking the birth control (which was during week 3 of the 4 week pill set up) I started my period.  Then I bled for a 5 days as if it was my normal period.  Then I had light discharge the week after like it was my period trying to occur during week 4 even though I was not taking any pills.  I started my period again last saturday which is about 5 weeks since i stopped taking the birth control.  I thought that it would be over by now being 8 days later but for the last two days I have had nothing but brown discharge.  I have been freaking out.  I have had brown discharge before but at the beginning of my period and my periods have always been less then 5 days.  I am trying to figure out how long this brown discharge is going to last?  Do I need to contact my doctor if it does not stop?  I am really new to all of this stuff and before 2 years ago i had never taken birth control or anything.  I am trying to figure out if all of this is normal after stopping birth control (the irregularity and brown discharge).  I understand that brown discharge is "old blood" but why would it be at the end of the period?
Hi i also have brown discharge almost every day now after my period is finnished, it started a couple of years ago after i had an operation to remove scar tissue from a c section i had, it started off that i would get the discharge about a week after i had finnished my period and would last a week, but every month it gets longer, it is not thick discharge and it does not smell, it is watery and brown.
I have had so many swabs and smear tests and the doc can find nothing wrong, but im going back tomorrow to see if i can get a specialist to look into it, as i am fed up having to wear a sanitary towel every day.
Hope this helps
Definitely keep us posted loulabelle99, I can imagine that has got to be frustrating.
WELL LADIES ..........I HAVE TO SAY, I'M KINDA GLAD THAT I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE EXPERIENCING UNCOMFORTABLE THING COMING FROM THE BODY........ SO I DID MY OWN REACH SEARCH ........ COME TO FIND OUT THAT A LOT OF FACTORS PLAY A ROLE IN HOW OUR BODIES REACT TO WHAT WE ARE DOING...... FIRST I LAID OFF ANY SODA, TEA, JUICE, ANY THING WITH COLOR. I KNOW THATS HARD CAUSE OUR BODY CRAVE THE CAFFINE BUT IT WORKED. NOT ONLY DID I NOT HAVE THE DISCHARGE, IT ELIMATED ALL ODORS. DURING MY CYCLE I DRINK ALOE AND WATER. WHICH HELPED ALOT. AS WE AGE OUR SYSTEM IS NOT AS THROW THEREFORE WE HAVE TO HELP BY CUTTING BACK SOME TIMES
I know cutting out the caffeine certainly helps cut down on cysts in my breasts and on my ovaries.  Certainly a correlation indeed :)
thats normal because i have the same thing
I had my period 3 days early and on the day I was ment to get it I had a clear browny reddish fluid when I whipped... Does anyone know what its from? I'm on b\c and am sexulay active.
Did you miss any pills through your cycle?
i am on birth control and forgot to take my pill for two days in the middle of the cycle. i got my period as a result of missing the pills, and kept taking my birth control simultaneously to get my period to end as quick as possible since i would be getting it for real in 2 weeks. after my period ended in the middle of the cycle, i experienced brown spotting which i am still experiencing now. i have had the brown spotting for a week now (my mid-cycle period ended last tuesday). however, now my pack is over and im supposed to be getting my period tomorrow. have i completely messed up my schedule? what should i do? get this period tomorrow and let it run its course then start fresh next sunday with a new pack? will i even get my period this week since all of my blood has been used up now? SOMEONE HELP!!
I would use a backup method for this month and let your period run its course.  Keep us posted:)
    I'm kinda facing a prob... I have had my periods a week back,say on Oct 26th o so... i'm seeing this brownish spots on my pantie yest and today... I'm really worried. Could u please help... Never has seen such things before... please help.
is there a chance you could be pregnant?  Is this your mid-cycle?
I had brown discharge for over a week now, straight after my period, its had a weird odour to, ? I have never had it before, I've been having sexually active with my partner for over two months now, only just had it, not on the pill either any ideas? Really don't like doctors?
so i had my baby last sept '10 i got on the IUD and been bleeding for 11months n 1 week straight now i finally got a regular period but this brown smelly discharge wont stop its been 2 months now, n of couse no doctor app. til jan 2012 should i wait it out or look for another doc? how long is this gonna last?
Hey everyone. I'm 24 and I've been having brown discharge for just over a WEEK now. It isn't excessive enough to warrant a towel, but it's very scary as I've never had anything like this before. I'm not on birth control but I am sexually active (I use condoms). A few moments ago I went to urinate, and when I wiped myself (I had discharge) it was a pinky colour. I have mildish stomach cramps as though I'm on my period, but my last period was about two weeks ago so now I'm thinking WTF is happening here?? I'm terrified of having cervical cancer. I phoned up the NHS earlier on and I could be okay, but I was just told to see a doc within 2 weeks. I am heading down to the docs TOMORROW! I'll update here with what happened. I am hoping also to get my first smear test done. (I have never had one before) I am so, so scared. I will report back to you all! Please wish me luck. x
Okay here's the deal on my experiences with irregular bleeding at this point, and my trip to my local GP: I went to my local doc to get checked out by a nurse. BUT! She would NOT perform a smear test! (I feel it important to note that I am over in the UK at this point - things may work differently over in the US).

Over here, you have to be over 25 in order to get a smear test at your local GP, or else if you are under 25, you must go private... This, quite clearly, *****. She herself said it was pretty much a bad idea - telling me a time a young woman under 25 came into her office to get a smear test - her family having a HISTORY of cervical cancer - and yet, she had to be declined. I was pretty stumped.

She did however, insert some weird thing into me (that felt a little like a small torch was being inserted into me!) and have a look around (a cervix text, I imagine? Or perhaps a pelvic exam?) She said there was no bleeding and that everything down there looked perfectly healthy and normal, she also reassured me that the bleeding I have been having (brown discharge for just over a week, not excessive enough to warrant a towel, but still - pretty freaky to me) was normal. She also explained how this happened, and that it was pretty much dried blood that took a while to come out.

This brown discharge actually stopped that day too. All of this has somewhat reassured me, but I still feel uneasy and wish to be checked for any sign of trouble in my cervix. I can be a huge ball of throbbing hypochondriac fear, but I have never experienced anything like this before, and while I was waiting to go to the docs, I was frightened that I had actually NO idea what was going on down there... Anything could be happening in my cervix right now and I don't like not knowing about it. Certainly not if anything can be done about it!

I think for the time being though, I'll be alright. I cannot spend excessive time worrying - I will actually from now on wait until I know if there's something to worry about! If I experience anything else on this subject, I'll report straight back here. :) I know this can be very scary, but I just want to reassure you other women that it's not good to jump to any conclusions. Keep in mind that you just may not have any need to worry at all.

If you are worried, for your own sanity and psychological well being, do get yourself checked out for your own peace of mind. Also, DON'T be afraid of going to see a doc / nurse to be checked down there! Your health is much more important than worrying about something that these people see pretty much every day. They think nothing of it. :) Best of luck to you all.  
I have a question. Ok, I don't have sex very often seems to be once everyone month or two, and it seems like everytime I have sex I get a period a few days after even if I have already had my period for the month. And this time I'm have a brownish discharge with not smell. Has anyone experience that and what wrong with me?
I was spotting before my period and after my period. And i have bad odor. Sometimes I feel nasiated out if nowhere .. Idk what's wrong with me ?
I Had a discharge/spotting before my period ..then i got my period for 8 days and I am done now but I am still discharging or spotting ?? Idk what its is?? And i have a bad odor !! Idk what to do and Idk what's wrong with me
I got my period last month of november 2011. I bled very heavy. I was in excruciating pain. Alot of blood clots came down. Finally it was over after 10 days. I douche with vinegar and water. After that i experienced light red color to dark brown color discharge. It's been going on for 3 weeks now. I don't have the pain just discharge. Am i sick? Im gonna make a appointment with the gyn.
I had a baby on August 8, and my period lasted that hole month. Now ever month my period come on it last about 2 weeks but it be old blood and every time I have intercourse it comes back on. What do I need to do.
Viewing 1-200 comments: