Bacterial Vaginosis......so Frustrated

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Bacterial Vaginosis......so Frustrated

I have been diagnosed with Bacterial Vaginosis I was put on Antibiotics and it worked for about a week....then came back!!! I went to the doctor again and they perscribed Metro gel this time.  Well I did everything I was supposed to but it didn't seem to get better.  I had some gel left so  I took a couple more doses hoping it would get better.  Well that was last week thursday (the last dose I took) My vagina was still dry and kinda itchy.  Also thursday I noticed that it was red and irritated on my labia's.  Well since then I got my period on friday and I dont know if it is the tampons or what but It is so sore now and burns.  Its such an annoyance and I dont know whats going on.  I am so frustrated with Bacterial vaginosis, and doctor visits. Has anyone else experienced the same thing. I am frustrated and kind of scared. I want to go back to being happy in my relationship, this takes up so much of my time with worrying.
I have had the same problem with that.  I can't seem to get over it or yeast infections.  Creams have never really worked for me and its frustrating.  I feel your pain. I wish there was something we could do about this rather than having to go to the doctor get treated and then it comes back again and we have to go throught the same thing all over again.
I really don't have any personal info on this subject but you may want to check out 3toboots entry called "yeast infections and vaginosis nonending" someone posted a comment on there of tips on how she cured what seems to be the same problem. Sorry I don't have anything to add but your comment on my post eased my mind a bit, so I hope this helps.
I have had many complications with Bacterial Vaginosis, my doctor has told me to cut down on the number of BATHS I take, to take showers instead, also to be very sure to wipe front to back, even when urinating, avoid tight clothing, and non cotton underwear.  It has helped me keep it away for about 6 months now, maybe some of that will work for you too.
Thanx for the advice.....its crazy.  Sometimes its tough being a women with our anatomy! Grrr. :-) have a good day
I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!! It is extremely frustrating. As I said in my post, the doctor says it's a "bad mix" between mine and my husband's fluids. How can you fix that? I have had my tubes tied, so I do not want to use condoms. I do all the cautionary things: wipe front to back, urinate after intercourse, do not take baths, wear cotton pants, etc., etc., etc. It seems like nothing helps.

I haven't gotten them yet, but a friend of mine sells "Mella luca" (spelling?) vitamins. They have come out with a new one that is comparable to eating like 1,000 containers of yogurt or something like that. I also have had trouble going to the bathroom (#2) for years and years. I am supposed to take Zelnorn, but even with my insurance it's $55 a month. This vitamin also has something in it that has helped her get "regular" after having the same problem going to the bathroom. She says she hasn't had a yeast infection for like 4 months, ever since starting these vitamins. At $12 for a month's supply, I'm DEFINITELY going to try it. At this point in the game I would try just about anything!
I had the same problem a year ago. The third time I was treated, they also treated my husband. My dr also told me that yogurt everyday helps. If you don't like yogurt, you can buy supplements with the same bacteria in it that's in yogurt. Good Luck! The yougurt seems to keep it away for me!
i had the same problem i had a yeast infection or a bacterial infection constently no breaks for about 5 months turns out it was because of the baths i was taking our old apartment didn't have a shower so i was taking baths all the time and then we moved and i was taking showers again and i haven't had a infection in a year now
The supplement mentioned above is called lacto-bacillus, but it is primarily used to reestablish ph balance b/c of yeast overgrowth.  Quite honestly, I think the whole yogurt thing doesn't work, and I've heard Dr. HHH over on the STD forum say the same thing.  However, I did want you to know the name of the supplement.  You buy it at the pharmacy, OTC, but you do have to ask for it, b/c it stays in the fridge behind the counter.
Thanks everyone for you input.  I cant exactly tell right now if everything is cured because I still have my period.  And it is still very sore down there.  But keep your hopes up for me, because im about at my wits end.  Thanks for all the tips and everyone keep them coming I could always use more advice.
OMG!! this sounds all way to familiar. I can relate with 3tboots comment. Her husbands and her fluids "bad mix" I am divorced now but I was married to him for 5 yrs. We also had the "bad mix" it was horrible. I battled BV for so many yrs and thought it was ME. I also went through not taking baths and eatting the right things and yes..Mellaluca. OH yeah, eat yogurt, drink milk and in addition acidophillis (sp) I got to the point where after intercourse I'd would use yeast infection cream. It would ward off the itching but I never did cure until after the divorce. I've been divorced for 6 yrs now and I never so much have had a yeast infection. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

In my opinion.....I don't know if you have kids or not but I would suggest a vastomy. I have always thought if he would have gotten one it would help. What could it do? Make it worse?

I feel for ya...good luck!!
Thanks alot for your comment.  The bad mix could be very true, but I have been with my boyfriend for a year now and since I am only 20 and I can't be on birth control we always use condoms.  I also have never had a problem or even heard of BV until about 4 months ago. Thats when all of this started! I was on antibiotics for an ear infection and became very dry and itchy, sex was uncomfortable too.  I knew it wasn't normal but was too scared to go to the doctor.  When I finally did they told me nothing was gone.  It finally took me 3 visits to the doctor for them to finally say it was BV.  It is so frustrating for the past four months I have became very antisocial and almost depressed over this.  I am lucky that I have a very understanding boyfriend but I dont know how much more understanding he can be....i feel disgusting when I have to tell him that I have another BActerial infection. It just seems like a never ending thing. Now I am wondering if I was somehow allergic to the Metro gel because after using it I am now very red, and sore.  I dont know I am so happy that some of you guys can relate to how stressful and irritating this is.  I feel helpless..and I just want my life back.  Thanx everyone for listening to me :-)
One thing to add, anytime you have or recently have had a vaginal infection it is not a good idea to use tampons.
You guys all have my sympathies!  When I was younger, I went through a horrible period in my life where for several years it was one infection after another.  My doctor said I looked like a "hunk of raw meat."  I ended up with a hysterectomy at the age of 32.  

Of course back then, they used electrocautery and twice a day douching and no sex.  Well that was all fine with me, because sex is no fun if it hurts and you end up burning and hurting afterwards.  

It's so interesting how treatments have changed.  And I definitely think it has to do with your partner!
Hi again,you're welcome. The only reason I knew about the tampons is from personal experience. I hate the alternative to tampons and stubbornly kept right on using them until I got the mother of all infections-very painful. Good luck!
You don't have 'another one', you just haven't kicked the first one.  

You are correct in thinking that you could be reacting to the metro.  I took it once. First 2 days were fine, the 3rd was horrible. The are became intensely red, swollen and painful. I stopped using it. Luckily at the time I had a perscription steroidal cream that eased the symptoms quite well.

The stories about lacotbacillus doing any good are basically old wives tails. I am not discounting people that have had apparent good luck with them, I'm stating a known fact. There have been studies done with DNA typing of the bacteria that inhabit the vagina and the type that's ingested.   1,  very few of the bacteria will survive it's trip thru the digestive tract and manage to move to the vagina.  2, the type of bacteria that is in the supplements does not have the ability to adhere to the vaginal walls and start a 'good' colony. They will not survive even if you use them as a suppository.

Usually once a negative feedback cycle has started the trick is to find what will suppress the symptoms for you for an extended period of time to allow the localized vaginal immune system to get back on track.

I really suggest to anyone who is having troubles to do some research looking for scientific trials that have dealt with these very same problems. If you don't know the terms, look them up. The more papers you read, the more you will understand. Also, at the end of all papers are the citations. These can give you information on what possible hospitals or clinics near you might be treating these conditions or at the very least, maybe know where to send you.

Everyday GPs don't neccessarily know it all. If they are not faced with countless women trudging to their office with similar problems, they may not be aware of who is out there that can help.
That actually really helped me thank you.  The only thing that really showed any sign of it starting to get better was the antibiotics not the gel....but then once I was done with the antibiotic I got a UTI and it came back and thats when they put me on the metro gel.  I dont know I am giving the irritation that I think I have from the metro gel one more day and if it doesn't subside I am going to the doc again and we will see what they say about the BV.  Thanks for your help.
Thanks for the comment on tampons, I didn't know that.  Even though I thought about it I guess I should have just listen to my instincts and not use them because now I think I may have ANOTHER Bacterial infection!!!!! Who knows when this will end! I love you all for your comments.
Wow! So glad to have found you all.  I am 27 and when my husband left me (after 12 years together total) I got a BV infection that has been never ending!  I got it in October after my first sexual partner other than my husband.  I am starting to wonder if the "bad mix" thing is true.  I have only been with two people and it has been happening with both.  My new boyfriend is understanding, but we can tell when it comes back because mine doesn't itch or burn, it comes with an odor!!! How horrible is that.  And my cervix hurts.  The doctor gave me Metro Gel and that has not worked very well at getting it to go away.  I don't use condoms anymore, or tampons, or anything other than hypo alergenic soaps.  I can't take this anymore!  I will try the no baths thing and see if that helps.  Any other info will be VERY much appreicated.  I thought I might be the only one with this reoccuring thing.
hi its good to here that i'mnot the only one who suffers with this embarrassing infection. i have had it on and off for about 4 years now. same thing happens with the doctors, they treat it with anti biotics and its back within 2 weeks. i was doing some research and came across a home remody site. one home remody was to douche with 1 tbl spoon of vinager mixed with water. sounds crazy but it seems to have worked for now. also there are some iodine washes you can get which are supposed to be affective. i would ask your doctor about the iodine as i'mnot 100% about that one. i'll keep you posted if i have kept it at bay. fingers crossed!
i still have been unable to kick my BV. but all i can say is i am trying to stay away from antibiotics because natural remedies don't kill all of the good bacteria. i stopped seeking help from my doctor because she didn't seem to really know any alternative solutions and never had time to talk to me about the problem but just continued to refill my perscription. my body did not respond to the metro gel or oral antibiotics but simply threw off all of my defenses.
i had been on antibiotics just about every two weeks for the last six months because initially i was suffering from UTIs. Apparently that caused my ph levels to became unbalanced and that is why i got BV.

I haven't seen much luck with the probiotics I have been taking but i am debating getting some from rockwellnutrition.com that are made from human strains rather than dairy or animals and supposedly adhere better to the vagina. has anyone heard anything good about those?

i also used a vagi guard iodine douche and it has definately gotten rid of the odor and discharge. the only symptom i am struggling with is the burning which has definately increased since my period and since using boric acid suppositories. very frustrating.
Ive been dealing with BV for about 3months now. Ever since my boyfriend and I stopped using a condom. Ive been to the doctor twice and all did was gave me the gel(that gave me a very bad yeast infection) and said that they really dont know what causes it. They said it could be anything from my boyfriend semen to not wiping myself correctly. I ve been on different websites looking for some kind of good home remedy I can use because I cant keep going back to the doctor everytime after we have sex. Thats very costly and Im just tired of going for the same thing.  I see theres a couple of drugs that can be brought off the internet I want to know has anyone used them and if so do they really work.  I need help Im so tired of this feeling after sex.  It's like Im starting to hate having sex because I know what comes next. Please help if theres anybody out there who can tell me what to do.
Unfortunately, I relate to most everything people have said on here.  I do have a couple questions for people who have had chronic bv/yeast infections.  for some reason, I always have intense anal itching, not as much discomfort or itching in the vaginal area and usually no unpleasant odor thankfully.  My doctor always confirms it is bv or yeast.  Does anyone else here have intense anal itching - it is literally driving me crazy - i have tried everything!  If you do, any suggestions on relief? I just started probiotics, yogurt after doing a round of antibiotics and Diflucan because i had both yeast infection and bv a the same time.  Tried creams, which seem to make it worse with the moisture.  It has been a 3 month neverending deal w/ me now and I have had bv on and off for years.
I have found some good info. on what other women who have chronic bv are doing.  Check out wrongdiagnosis.com.  That is where I heard about the probiotic treatment. I just started and am hoping it will help.  See if this link works....

http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=7675&page=9
I suffered from bv very badly and was quite tired of the gels and pills etc... that worked for a time, but somehow the bv came back in no time.  this is what I did and it has worked for me.  I have been bv free for one year now...again it worked for me it may not worked for you but it is worth a try.

I stopped wearing underwear at nights....I made sure at all times the area was kept dry and kept a tube of vagisil extra strenght by my night stand.  When I felt the first itch I appled the vagisil to stop itching before it go out of control.  That's all i did......I guess it was stopping the onset before it happened.  Also make sure your hands are clean.  Like I said I have been bv free for one year now doing this.  
Good luck
Wow, Nice to see I'm not alone. My symptoms were Discharge, a very sour smell, and my vagina had a sour taste. (according to my boyfriend) I was tested and tested and tested...finnally, my Dr. said it was BV. He gave me a 7 day antibiotic cream. I took the last dose three days ago. Now I have burning and itching. I'm so upset. I miss my old sex life. I just want to get better!

I'll take any advise out there too......  
Ok, so this may sound very odd to you at first but I have experienced this first hand. I use boric acid (ask your doctor). My physcian who works at University Hospital in NYC started giving me pills that were filled with boric acid to insert every night. I used them and I have to tell you it takes away ANY  odor and leaves you unbelievably fresh. I ran out of the pills and quite frankly got tired of running back and forth to the Doctor. Long story short I asked my Dr. if I could use the boric acid that you purchase in the store and she said yes you can!!

I simply take a applicator (can get from any yeast infection package) and fill it about 1 inch with boric acid and I have NOOOO problems. I usually do this after my cycle as vaginitis usually hits me at this time due to the alkaline imbalance (explanation my Dr. gave)

anyway I am exhausted and want to get to bed..but PLEASE try it you WILL NOT BE SORRY...

Simple and effective solution... this is what i Girlfriend did when she got an infection.... about 6 months ago she had BV and tried every product the DR. told her to use, but with no result, so then the doctor told her to boil water and instead of using the faucet water to use the boiled water to wash her vagina... and after less than a week she was healthy...

*NOTE*
The water doesnt have to be hot, after it boils u can let it cool down to what ever temp u prefer.... the thing is that when u boil it, u most of the germs and bacteria in it...
edit:

NOTE

The water doesnt have to be hot, after it boils u can let it cool down to what ever temp u prefer.... the thing is that when u boil it, u kill most of the germs and bacteria in it...
I was diagnosed with BV a year ago and prescribed metro. which has not helped at all.  The doctor goes back and forth with the diagnosis between BV and Yeast infection. Although, difulian or metro. does not help.   I've heard about a bacteria infection called mycoplasma genitalium - does anyone have any informaton regarding this?   I was tested for my STD's and they came back negative.  But, I do not believe they checked me for this.  During my last visit to the doctor, she told me I just had to live with this.  I can't accept that - I've heard of other treatment such as boric acid.   Where can I purchase that? and how much do you use?  I've heard it can be toxic.   I really am miserable which includes discharge, lower back and abdominal pain.    Any suggestions out there?  
Partners should be checked out by a doctor too- they can carry bacterias with out affecting them -but infecting you.
Take him with you next time you go to the docs so that he can be checked too
It's no use getting yourself cleared of infections if your partner then inocently re-infects you!
I was recently diagnosed with BV. I do not have itching or burning but do have the white discharge and odor. I noticed these symptoms about a month after starting Yasmin. I have stopped since then and now I am on my second episode with BV. The first dose of Clindese and Diflucan worked for about a month.

However, I noticed the odor again and douched with a vinegar and water ******. I was fine for a couple of days but now it is back. I just got my second prescription. I used to have issues with yeast infections prior to birth control now  I have issues with this. GREAT!!! I hope it works this time. Has anyone linked their infections to birth control. Just curious. I know that a side effect of Yasmin can be vaginal infections.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.
I have had the same problem with BV.  The doctor gave me some metro gel. I used twice a day for 2 days after my period and I am fine for the nex time my period comes on. My doctor told me to use after my period.
Hey ladies I have also suffered from BV and its quite embarrassing!!!!!!!!! My Gyn prescribed me something called clidesse but its quite expensine. I did a little research on the web and found out that fOLIC ACID supplements really work and ACIDOPHIRLUS. Also inserting a tampon with plain yougurt in your vagina for about 1 hour helps too. good luck!!!!!!
I have been struggling with bacterial infections for the past 9 months. Every month, around the time I ovulate, I get another. I have been treated with suppositories, antibiotics, you name it...and they keep coming back. I've seen 3 doctors about this, and finally, the last doctor gave me some insight. I had a tubal ligation 16 months ago, and he seems to think there might be fluid building up in my fallopian tubes causing infection. I have a sono tomorrow to find out. I've been researching this online, and there are a couple medical conditions I've found that could cause recurrent bacterial inf. and vice versa. Hydrosalpinx is the fluid buildup in tubes, Pyosalpinx, Salpingitis, and Pelvic Inflammatory Disease. All of these seem to indicate that the infection could be in the reproductive tract, either because of chronic infections, or can come across as bacterial infections because of the discharge and odor. I just kept seeking advice because I knew I was doing everything I could to make these go away, so I suggest if anyone's having the same issues, be persistent, because there could be a more serious issue going on! No one should have to just accept that their body will keep producing these symptoms and to be expected to just live with it!
Well Well Well.... Seems like I am not the only one suffering from this recoccuring nasty smelling bacteria. I go back and fourth with my GYN due to the fact that this in not listed as a STD but you can get thru sexual intercourse...that is what confuses me with this BV thing. I have never had this infection until I meet my boyfriend of 1 year... I do believe that semen has a lot to do with this stuff because we donot use a condom and he is the only one that I started to not use a condom with ..so maybe our body fluids donot match up with each others... My doctor prescribe Clindese for me but this drug is very expensive and with no insurance I cannot keep running back and forth like this... I did see that someone posted some thing with inserting yogurt with a tampon , I guess I will try that along with the vingegar and water ******... This is crazy that women have to suffer with this kinda of stuff all the time... The doctors need to come up with a better explanation than what they have so far on this infection. I would rather take a natural remedy myself then using these drugs all the time. If I find anything that would be helpful I will keep you ladies posted.
WHere is the cure???? my BV always returned during ovulation too.  Everyone keeps referencing back to sex being the cause. I haven't been sexually active in forever not even at the time I got my first infection... Metro gel kills the smell but give me this thick white discharge and leave me spotting.... I need something more than these old wives tales being posted on these forums.
I have struggled with BV myself as well as a few of my friends.  About 6months ago the Dr gave me some pills but as usually it came back. My partner told me that my vagina tasted sour (which is a first to me) so I tasted the secretion myself (Hey it's my body and I want to know) I went out and bought a PH kit but the kit said my PH was 4.5 which is normal...anyways I read online a common natural remedy is a hydrogen peroxide 3% and water ******/vaginal wash once a day for 7 days. I am going to try it out tonight hopefully we get some good results I will come back and post the outcome.
Bacterial Vaginitis/Vaginosis

BEST and FASTEST method of healing Bacterial Vaginosis is to ****** with 1/2 Hydrogen Peroxide and 1/2 water.  If condition is severe, ****** a few times per day for 2 to 3 days...infection should subside.  It is good to make it a habit to ****** Hydrogen Peroxide/Water once every week or week 1/2 once healed in order to continue optimal health and cleanliness.  Also, it is very good to make it a habit to take Folic Acid and Lactobacillus Acidophilus.  These vitamin supplements are Very easy to find (Rite Aide/Walgreens/CVS/Walmart) and Very inexpensive.

When I suffered with this condition for about 1 year & 1/2...I was so depressed as none of the natural home remedies seemed to work.  I found this method that I have written above to be the Fastest, Lasting and Most Effective cure without a doubt!  It's a Miracle cure.  We underestimate the extensive healing properties of something so simple and extremely accessible as Hydrogen Peroxide...and it is Completely safe!

Your days of BV are Gone!!
for some reason my post has been censored....where you see the asterisks it says d-o-u-c-h-e   (sorry, had to write it like that or it would be blocked out again)

Best Wishes Everyone!!!!!  I hope you try this remedy as it is Amazing
I know you made your comment like a year ago, but I have the same problem you have or had. I have a yeast infection/bacterial infection at the same time. Nothing works. I'm angry that my gyno prescribed Clindesse because I think it made it worse. I had a horrible allergic reaction to it and had to wash it out. I have read that all the medications people are given don't REALLY prevent it for more than a short period of time. I want it gone. I'm so frustrated. I'm going to try using hydrogen peroxide/water like "IJustWantToHelp" suggested. I have been taking acidophilus religiously.... I don't know... This has been going on for three weeks and I feel very discouraged to read about people who deal with this for years and never fully find a cure. I'm 22 years old and I feel like I'm never going to get better.
I am 23 yrs old and up until 7 months ago i had never had a bv/yeast infection. I started dating my bf 7 months ago (after getting a divorce and being with just him) and have just had a problem ever since!! I feel so hopeless. I have been to the doctor every month and they keep treating me for bv and yeast infections. The treatment masks the symptoms for a few day but it always comes back. I just always have a heavy discharge, lower abdominal pain and pain during sex. Luckily my bf is understanding but i want things to go back to normal!! My sex life has taken a toll, i always expect sex to be uncomfortable/painful now. Im starting to worry i cant have kids because we have been having unprotected sex with no result..One doctor said my bf and i just don't mix.  But what kind of answer is that? That doesn't help me out as to how to prevent these infections. Im not breaking up with my boyfriend so how can we fix this?  How can we have a baby if his semen is the cause for all my troubles?? I just feel like doctors just want to push you out of their office and not really help you out. It is really nice to know that i am not the only one with an ongoing problem though. My boyfriend is out to sea for 6 months so hopefully in this time of no sex i can get back to normal. Im so sick of discharge and abdominal pain!!! Why can't i just go back to how i was before?? I feel like this is hows its going to be for the rest of my life!!
I'm glad I'm not alone. I began thinking the worst as I'm going on 4 months with BV. I feel better after the last antibiotic (Metrodizanole) that I took but the test still shows gardenella. I"m in fear that I will get symptoms again. Now I have anal itching as someone else on here mentioned that they also have. I dont know if its related to the BV or not. If I've gotten all STD tests done after 3 months of sex is it safe to say that I am ok? I am in fear that something may show up later. Help pls!
I feel all you females pain because me myself have also been struggling with this issue for about a year now and just want some relief!lol I hate that all the doctor's do is keep giving the metro pills or metro gel because it just keeps coming back or maybe it just never has gone away!  mollylynn
This is my second time with BV. The first time I went to the doctor I was just told that there was some imbalance between my Ph, and antibiotics would cure it. It did for a moment. This time my BV came right after I went off my period. However, I switched my soap to Dove with some energizing beads, and that makes me a little sore sometimes. After I have sex I have to get up and put cream on. One time after I had sex I examined myself in the mirror and found swollen red outer parts. I called my doctor and asked if they could put some medication into my pharmacy because the BV came back. This time I was prescribed the Gel. I did not use it yet. I tell my boyfriend everything about this so he wont smell it and it catch him off guard, so I warn him first. I even tasted myself before, and it was sour. I asked my boyfriend did I taste sour, but he said no. I would like to know what vagina he's tasting because mines taste sour. I have a question though, can my boyfriend get BV in his mouth?
I have been battling BV since the birth of my last son.  I had already completed two courses of metronidazole and it still came back.  My doctor's nurse recommended some homeopathic remedies, including boric acid, which I had never heard of.  I found a website, natren.com, and I ordered the Gy-Na-Tren, which is a 14 day treatment, it's 14 days of oral L. acidophilus and 14 days of vaginal capsules containing boric acid and L. acidophilus.  They ship it on dry ice to keep it could.  I swear, after the first night I noticed a difference immediately!  It recommends if the vaginal pH is off, to put the vaginal capsule in warm water first, and then insert it, so I definitely did that.  I only took it for seven days and I'm saving the other seven days as a backup, but so far I have had no problems since.  I just wanted to pass this along to everyone and I only wish my doctor's nurse would have recommended this earlier!  Good luck to all!
I have been experiencing BV since I was 15. I'll never forget when I went to the doctor for this the very first time and the nurse walked in and said "what is that smell, smells like something has died in here". I was so embarrassed, but what could I do? I am over 40 now and I am still experiencing this problem and I have been back and forth to different doctors who just don't seem to have a clue about how to cure this, but they have no problem taking my money and sending me out with costly prescriptions. I was also told that me and my boyfriends sperm didn't match as well as when I got married I was told that me and my husbands sperm did not match. This is a lame excuse from doctors because if this was true, then ladies I guess we should just give up on sex because I guarantee u we'll be allergic to every man we come in sexual contact with. After my divorce, I went a year and half without sex and I have to admit I had no problems during that time but soon as I got to know someone and we had all STD testing done twice before we started being sexually active and boom, there it was after our second encounter the bad odor the signs of BV. I was determined that I was not going to give another doctor another penny, so I did some research and I used the boric acid somthing a doctor has never mentioned before and have not had any problems so far but I will continue to research this to see if there is anything else and if I find anything I will be glad to share it. I'm tired of avoiding sex with my partner because of this, ladies we got to make a stand together and help each other find cures for this and stop letting these doctors get rich off our misfortune of BV problems.
Hi there, I've beaten BV and felt like I owe it to other women to come back and share how bc I remember how AWFUL it was. I tried it all girls, I'll go into that. But finally, it was RePhresh the vaginal gel that comes in tubes, not the douche. It won't cure you right away (like the 1st month of use). You have to get your vagina used to he Rephresh helping to balance you back out, and it WILL happen. You'll just go about your business one day and realize, Hey, I haven't been itching for a week! This is great! And the opened box of rephresh with 2 unused tubes will sit in your closet, kind of like a trophy! Read the directions to when you should insert regarding your vaginal cycle too. And also NOT washing any part of your vagina with ANY soap or anything, just using water from the shower to clean the external of your vagina as best you can (I still do this, I'm scared to put any soap near my vagina, I just carefully wash my butt with the soap). I know if you're used to washing your vagina daily with soap you'll think omg that's so unclean, but it actually gets clean with jus the water, that's all it needs. Think about it, the biology and history, women foreverago didn't have Dove. The vagina can actually take care of itself; the water just gets it a sufficient daily clean. Also, buying 100% cotton full underwear, not thongs, bc the string can move along from the anus to the vaginal area. Also, do drink unflavored, plain Kefir as often as you can. Very healthy bacteria in this. I battled BV for a year. It was awful. I think I was on antibiotics 3 or 4 times, metronidazole and clindamycin, oral and vaginal. Results were temporary, it always came back. Wish I could have a refund. And it ruined a vacation with my husband, I couldn't take alcohol with the antibiotics. Tried douching with water and vinger combined, temporary relief. Tried inserting a plain yogurt douche. Tried buying dairy tablets from overseas to insert vaginally which claimed those women became cured. Tried inserting acidophilis (sp?) tablets vaginally. Tried dipping a tampon in tea tree oil. Tried inserting a garlic clove vaginally. Tried dipping a tampon in Liquid silver. Spent $30 on an ebook promising a cure. Pretty much, I figured out you can't douche bc the liquid can grab the bad bacteria to further parts of the vagina you don't want affected. I think my BV started from someone's sperm having a complete opposite ph from my vagina, or when I was washing with soap, it getting to far internally in my vagina, the soap can kill the good bacteria upsetting the ph. Also, I think it's unproven, but speculated, that men can carry BV from another woman and pass it to you. GOOD LUCK! Hope you beat it.
And I also tried boric acid. It is rat poison. It didn't work.
Antibiotics are known to only kill the problem for a couple of weeks and then it returns! Putting suppositories in your V may work, but do you really want to do that for the rest of your life? Supplements, herbal pills, boric acid, and tampons soaked in hydrogen peroxide may do the trick momentarily, but do they target the root cause? No!

Many diseases begin in the psyche. Bacterial vaginosis is a disease directly related to improper immune system function. Your immune system is directly connected to your psyche. Think about it: when people are mentally stressed, they get sick, zits, infections, tired, heartburn, ulcers, etc.

In some way or another, your immune system is being assaulted by stress whether it be from overuse of antibiotics OR (more likely) mental stress. I urge you ALL to look at your relationships with your spouses, boyfriends, close friends, and work and ask yourself: am I regularly stressed out by one or more of these relationships?

If you are, you must take the steps to reduce stress in that area of your life, because believe it or not it is adversely affecting your health. You should NEVER settle for a stress-filled environment. Why? Because if you get used to chronic low levels of stress, you are setting your body up for serious trouble.

I was in an a verbally abusive relationship with a controlling man for three years. The third year, I moved in with him. Every month, I would get a yeast infection. My body was in a state of constant stress. I could feel in my gut something was very wrong, but ignored it because I wanted so desperately for things to work between us. A few months later, my monthly yeast infection was replaced by something a lot more menacing and foul: Bacterial Vaginosis.

I looked back at my life and wondered why I had this awful infection. I had never had these problems before. Then, I began to make the connection. Ignoring my gut feeling for so long resulted in a nasty infection that has taken 3 months to go away.

But it has gone away. There is no more smell, itching, or irritation. Why? He has gone away too. Or, rather, I have left. I haven't spoken to him in 2 weeks. In that two weeks, I noticed a drastic reduction in stress, a gradual disappearance of my symptoms, and a rise in my general health and well being.

I have done some research and found that your "gut" is intimately intertwined with your immune system AND healthy vaginal flora. After ignoring my gut feelings for so long, it was no small wonder that I was sick and stressed. My gut needed rehabilitation for all that I put it through.

All the stress I had been through had caused toxicity in my system! The normal, healthy, good bacteria were completely overtaken by unhealthy, sick-making bacteria and my body was feeling the strain. I began taking Femdophilus bacterial supplements (orally) twice a day for several weeks. These supplements contain two types of bacteria that help to re-establish healthy gut flora and, by proxy, healthy vaginal flora. They were all I needed to put me back in good health.

So there you have it: Bacterial Vaginosis is a whole-body disease with its beginnings in the mind. NEVER, EVER ignore your gut feelings! The body knows so much more than the mind. It is not irrational: in fact, the mind will lead you down pathways of irrationality and sickness! Overemphasis of the mind's power has led our civilization to the brink of disaster- why would our personal lives unfold differently?

Trust your gut. Nourish it. Feed it good food. Take care of it and it will take care of you and your entire body. Don't let anybody tell you it is wrong, because it is never wrong. You and your mind may be wrong, but it isn't. Foster a healthy mind-gut connection. Let your gut speak first and your mind translate.

Get rid of the stress in your life! Stressful people, stressful situations, and stressful thoughts. If you can't escape a stressful environment, make it priority #1 every single day to create a mental and or physical space where you can unwind and de-stress.

You must do this: it is the key to your health and the elimination of BV!
I just want to start by saying how sorry I am for everyone who has encountered this awful problem, but with a lot of prayer I believe I have found a solution.  Many women believe that this infection is being sexually transmitted which I am sure is true in some cases but I am not sexually active and had not been for the past 10 months and was still having the same issue as you all.  First I want to tell you ladies please, please stop stressing and worrying.  I truly believe that this was the start of the problem.  I know that this is easier said than done but once you have BV alot of times it is down hill from their.  I want to express how little faith I have in MD's! my issues with so called medical proffesionals began long before i had this problem but this was definetely the straw that  broke the camels back after many trips to the dr. office  and the dr began to indicate that they did not know the reason this BV was reoccuring instead of telling the truth that this is a large problem among women and helping me find a solution they sent me home with another prescription of the same mess that they had given me previously that did not work, in fact furthered the problem by messing my ph balance up a little more each time I took it.  Finally I gave up going to the dr and took the suggestions of some women who offered natural remedies.  I really wanted to trust God to lead me to the CURE so I prayed, I waited patiently and listened to what he had to say.  I first saw a very good suggestion of a natural Probiotic by Natures's Way found in Whole Foods called Primadophilus Reuteri.  Coincidentely, well not really as much coincidence as GOD, around the same time actually the same exact time I had to have my wisdom teeth out.  The oral surgeon prescribed me antibiotic I believe it was Amoxicillin that I had to take 2 for 10 days and Thank God it left never to return and that was in November.  Please ladies stress to your dr. if you insist on visiting him for this problem that everything that they have tried has not worked so I would pray that they would consider taking your suggestion and prescribe the Amoxicillin since it is your body and they are not helping anything.  I do not know if it was the Primadophilus Reuteri that cured the BV or the Amoxicillin or a comination of the two.  But it is defienetly worth trying.  I still take the Primadophilus Reuteri every now and then, but not regularly like I did in November. Please pass this information on!!! I believe this cure came to me to help others that had this same awful affliction in their life.  Good luck and God bless!
Natural remedies are always best as your system is inclined to not reject them. I followed the common advice I saw on 10 different forums on this of hydrogen peroxide application and acidophilus (found in probiotic yogurts or pills). This is day 2 and am amazed the smell is totally gone. Still a bit of discharge but I read that's normal and will go away.

Recipe to fight and possibly terminate BV:

-Eat 2 capsules of acidophilus (make sure it has alot of strains and Esp. "L.  Casei"
- take about 1/3 cup of boiled water and cool it off (just put it in fridge for 15 mins) and add 1/3 cup hydrogen peroxide. Now what I did because I didn't have an applicator was I soaked a tampon in the solution and inserted that in my vagina. What this will dooms create an acidic environment for the good bacteria (the ones in your probiotic capsules meaning the acidophilus ) to grow the bad bacteria which is causing the smells don't survive in acidic environment they need alkaline environments.
- I also took one of the acidophilus capsules and opened it and after removing the tampon inserted the capsule just a little and contorted my body so the powder would go into my vaginal cavity. This will cause good bacteria growth in there. Remember these capsules have live bacteria so they multiply and don't be scared those bacteria already exist in you even in your digestive tract but it's just a matter if having enough of them. Some people just put plain yogurt up there but make sure it's probiotic yogurt. Not all yogurt has live cultures. But I think it's enough to eat the capsules and to apply a bit of the powder slight in the vaginal cavity

So I have only did all the above once and noticed a significant difference. I don't know how I got BV. I'm not sexually active and extremely clean. I even wash with water after I go to the washroom. Im very particular about smells and never had any smells down there so I instantly noticed the change and started researching. Ladies the above remedy worked for me and a lot of women so try it before harsh pharmaceuticals. BV is not very risky and can really happen to anyone do don't worry you are not alone.
I have a bacterial vaginousis and only have two days left on antibiotics and it still itches and burn sometimes it feels like a third degree burn why is this I'm tired of it cause I've been on antibiotics for eight times this month for various reasons
I went to see a naturapathic dr. who explained that BV happens when your vagina becomes more base, less acidic. When it's a first time thing there's loads of things that can set it off. You don't have to be 'dirty' etc. You can have a baby and throw off your PH. You can use a weird soap. You can use a different condom. Anyway if it's a one time occurrence than you have to reset. She gave me boric acid tablets and if that isn't enough we're going to try antibiotics.

For folks that have a re-occurring case they have something more systemic that's going on and may need supplements or something to figure out why there vagina isn't staying acidic.

I heard about RePhresh (as well as being Dr. recommened). I think it's time I try it.  I am so sick and tired of going back and forth to the Dr. between a Bacterial Infection and Yeast Infection.  I hope this helps.
I sympathize. I have always had problems with yeast infections. I spent a lot of money on clotrimazole. It gave temporary relief. This time, I realized that it wasn't yeast. I took the test from the pharmacy (CVS) and found out it was a bacterial infection. I googled it to find out that doctors will give antibiotics, but the infection would just return in 2 wks in 40% of the cases. I didn't bother.

90% of Americans are iodine deficient. Try douching with iodine. Add kelp and foods with seaweed it to your diet. Aim for 12-13 grams per day. This will improve your entire immune health.
Please go buy AZO yeast pills at your pharmacy or online. Take one everyday and never have another yeast infection. They also make a UTI prevention one. I had uncureable chronic yeast infections for years until I found this pill! It's under $8 a month. Walgreen has it but its cheaper like on Amazon in bulk 3 packs.
hi! I have the same problem. I have bv every month after ovulation. Did you find out what you had? Thank you in advance.