Birth Control Pills and Alcohol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Birth Control Pills and Alcohol

Ok here's my question...Im planning on drinking alcohol this weekend. Dont worry I am over the age :)I am wondering though, I know alcohol makes the pill weaker and not effective enough. But I want to know...drinking and while on the pill cause anything more serious....such as headaches, shortness of breath and so on? (and yes I know that if I plan to have sex, to use a backup method....) Any answers are appreciated. Thanks! :)

-LTM
Oh.. Uh... I never knew the effectiveness of the pill was altered by alcohol.. is this new.. or am I just clueless!?!
i dont think alcohol has any effect on the pill - if it did i think there would be a LOT more unplanned pregnancies :)

i think the only way alcohol can affect the pill is if you get sick from drinking too much shortly after taking it. if you puke before the pill is absorbed into your system, it's like missing that pill. in my younger, wilder college days, i used to make sure that i took my pill hours before i started drinking (i just started to regularly take it in the morning). but, using condoms is a good idea like the other poster said, cause who knows what you may do when that drunk ;)
I looked online and here is what a webmd doctor said.

There is no evidence of alcohol consumption interfering with the absorption or effectiveness of oral contraceptives according to the latest edition of Contraceptive Technology. That said, I can't resist the opportunity to say that consumption of alcohol, especially in large amounts (more than four drinks per setting), of course, can effect judgment, memory, and cause vomiting, which certainly can effect whether the birth control pill is remembered, swallowed and stays down.

Dr. Bill Ramsey
wow!! thank you so much ladies :)
hi my name is nikki i just read you comment on here and just thought i would ask your view on this me and my husdand went to a party i consumed alot of alcohol to the point were i was sick i always take the pill but at the end of the month i only came on for one day and havent come on this month do you think there is any chance i could be pregnant