Bleeding through Clothes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Bleeding through Clothes

Firstly about 2 years ago I woke up & as I stood a 'blood bomb' exploded- this is as best description I have. I was in a relationship so assumed miscarriage - although after a smear at my doctors it was inconclusive. Any ideas? I am 23, average weight & have never been pregnant. I was on the pill but came off a few months later & have not gone back on. I have not been in a relationship since Christmas
Secondly I am now having terrible periods. Since the above I have never been right whereas as soon as I hit puberty my periods regulated themselves immediately. I now have a 5-6 week then a 4 week. I think maybe 1 ovary is a little slower now somehow as it's every other month - I think. For the past year I guess I now Bleed through what I am wearing - regardless of me wearing my usual tampons. Saturday before last I came on - Sunday I went out for 3 hours & when I came back had bled through thick shorts & jeans. I have thrown underwear & tights away at work - this could get a tad embarassing!
I have had a few smears - one showed BV which was treated but I still get the big bleeds. Oh & also excrutiating pain where I never have before
A locom was at the doctors when I went last Thursday & has referred me to the hospital for an internal, he said he would have doen a long time ago had I been his patient.
I am worried it's something that will effect fertility. I'm also hugely worried they'll say nothing is wrong & I have to put up with it!
A few years ago I noticed a dicharge in my nipples - this was tested & the hospital dont know the reason for it. So I have milk
Thanx
Sorry to state the obvious, but have you tried changing your tampons more often, and/or using a more absorbent tampon? I know that there are days during my cycle where my flow is heavier or lighter, and adjust accordingly. On my heavy day, I could never go three hours without changing my tampon.
I feel your pain. I had the lady at the Coach store take me aside to tell me that I had blood all over the back of my khakis last month. She was so cool..she helped me tie my oxford shirt around my waist so I could walk back out through the CROWDED mall I had just walked ALL THE WAY through. You'd think some woman would have stopped me! I thought people were staring 'cause I was cute! That has been going on since I was 14 and I am 27 with no kids. My periods have always been regular and I pas large clots, change my pads (tampons make cramps worse) sometimes once every two hours or more the first day of my period. I have even used the overnight pads during the day. I throw out 1 pair of undies a month on average. My doctor says that it just happens to some women. My mom had issues, too. I have horrible cramps although these are much better than when I was a teenager and the bleeding seems to be easing up a bit, too, as I get older.  I was on the Pill for 2 years just because of this and it was a GODSEND. I suggest you speak to your doctor about it--really be proactive because this IS very uncomfortable, I know--and find one that will work for you if this is the reason you went off of it. If it is financial, there are ways around that. Mention that to them--I did. They gave me samples...for a year!...until my insurance finally picked up contraceptives (I have a great OBGYN). Have you heard of endometriosis or uterine fibroids? I don't know much about either, just that they cause a lot of pain during your cycle. I don't know about the bleeding. I think fibroids can cause a lot of bleeding, but you have had this since you started, huh? Well, you should ask about those things because it's worth checking.

Hey, just so you know, when you are in your 40's and 50's and done having babies, there is a procedure that you can have done to KEEP from having your period before menopause. ;-) I say this because as soon as I heard of it, I thought THANK THE LORD!!!!! But fuhgeddabahdit until then, okay? I really hope you find a solution. I don't think I had one but I just wanted to support ya.
how's your blood count?  if you're anemic that could very well cause a much heavier flow.  fibroids also a possibility altho u r pretty young 4 that.  good luck!
Thanks for the reply - I appreciate it heaps.
Re increasing tampons - done this already. I used to wear the lightest brand as I'd never need it all not even on the first day.
At home I always wear the big night pads now where as before when I was on I'd just wear shorts to bed because I hardly bled. I had pains when I was younger so went on the pill when I was 16 for this only. The big bleeds all started when I was still on the pill though so I can't put it down to me coming off and the doctor doesn't want me back on until we have an answer - I agree. I live in England and contraception is free so no worries on that side - feel bad for you though hun - lucky you had a good doctor.
Endometriosis - yes I have heard of and that is what I'm afraid of. On the website www.endometriosis.co.uk it lists other symptoms which I can tick too. I guess I'll wait and see - but really wanted to hear what others thought and know I wasn't a total freak for moaning about something that's 'normal'. So thank you so much.
It's sad you haven't got a fix but what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger - that I truly believe!
I had my blood pressure checked and they said that was fine. I looked up Thyroid but I didn't really match up with other symptoms. Haven't received my appointement letter through yet but will be sure to update once it all happens.
I must say this site is fab - and it's so nice that people all help each other out, no matter how small or big the query.