Blood clots and extremely irregular periods

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hello....I'm 27 years old and have had my period since I was about 13 and it has always been extremely irregular. Even as a teen I never knew when I would get it and always had to be prepared. I got married when I was 19 and got pregnant with my son (now 5) when I was 21. I went off birth control when we got married and it took me 2 years of actively trying to concive for me to get pregnant. I had a perfect normal pregnancy and recovery but since then like in my7 teens my periods have been VERY infrequent and unexpected. Lately.....the past 6 months I have been spotting with very light blood and then have periods of bleeding very heavy and blood clotty for a few hours then it will stop again. This isn't just once a month though. It's throughout the month. I ALWAYS have to wear a pad cause I could be completly dry one second and then flowing with blood the next. Next thing you know IT HAS STOPPED!! I feel like something is wrong and this is NOT normal. We have been trying to have another baby for a few years now and no luck. And I haven't seen a doctor in ages partially due to fear and partly stress and no time. Is this typical or have others gone through it? Oh another thing is I almost never have severe cramps......I DUNNO WHAT TO DO! Thanks
hi, i'm having similar problems with the light spotting that seems to occur almost everyday and so out of the blue. i wanted to check up on you to see what happened. did you get it checked? all i found out so far is that i have ovarian cysts and that it will go away with time. i'm having so much problems with this too and also seek for advice.
hi,  my mother had the same problems that you had. she had two children, and four years ago she started bleeding on and off every day, and it eventually got worse. she went to go see the doctor and they said that she had ovarian cysts and non-cancerous tumors that were blocking the flow of her blood. unfortunately they had to do a hysterectimy. this could possibly be the same thing that you have, it sounds right. i suggest you go check it out fairly soon. don't worry about the tumor though, the doctor said that those are almost never cancerous.
Out of cycle bleeding is not normal. That doesn't mean it's related to a serious condition, but your periods should be relatively consistent. Hormonal imbalances can cause out of cycle bleeding. Just last month- I was experiencing the same thing. I am on the pill though- which should regulate these sorts of things.
The doctor changed my pills (the new pill has a different make up of hormones) and the bleeding stopped all togther. It's been a month now- no bleeding at all, until my normal period.

Since you are trying to conceive, pills may not be the solution- but you should go in and get checked out and discuss options.

Out of cycle bleeding is not only annoying and frustrating .. and scary- but it could mean something else is going on that needs to be addressed.