Breast tissue in underarm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 601-643 comments:
I have extra breast tissue, I was told as well, under my right armpit. Mine isn't one lump but about at least five that I can feel. I have had an ultra sound and mamogram (mammogram) and nothing seen. What worries me is that the breast on the right side also has a dark green discharge that comes out of it.
Hello there... I'm another person with these lumps under my arms - inherited by my mother who just had hers removed by a breast surgeon (who usually does work for cancer patients, etc) and it was covered nearly 100% by her healthcare... As they deemed it to be a risk having it due to not being able to do a mammogram on it.

I really want to get mine removed now! I'm 19 years old... I am 5'4 and currently weigh 77kgs... Which is a lot for me. I've been suffering from Hypothyroidism which has caused me to gain 25kg and it also means I'm going through a lot of hormonal changes, so my underarm boobs are constantly sore and throbbing :( Even after treatment they are still enlarged and hurting.

Another thing is, I went through a (partial) pregnancy, where I was lactating for a period of time, and I think this has contributed too... People keep on telling me to lose weight and that they will go, but even at 50kg's they were there!

Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but if not I'll ask the doctor I see - is it worth getting the tissue removed now or waiting until I lose weight (IF I lose weight --- pending new medication for my condition). In theory, the breast tissue... Once removed surgically.. Cannot grow back? Yes or no?

Can't wait for my armpits to be lump, pain and embarrassment free!!! Yay :P Oh, and please anyone out there post some more photo's of after your surgery? :)
hello! I had a consultation about a year ago and was told by the plastic surgeon that ideally I would want to be at a healthy weight before surgery because if I got the surgery and then lost significant weight there could be sagging or undesirable results. But really, it's just about feeling better about yourself and if that would help to do it sooner then I would. I'm hoping to get my surgery done in January and hopefully I will have insurance that covers some of it. I actually got into an argument with the receptionist recently because she was insistent it wasn't ever covered and that it was only "cosmetic". Really pissed me off. Ah well. Anyway, good luck!
Hello Miss Justine,
My name is Zia from the Faroe Islands. I have almost similar experiences like you with each period and son accidentally touching under my armpit. Each month I suffers either from pain or pus! It started in 2001. Finally I went to my doctor and she referred me to a visiting specialist in my country. Thank God as I found out this is a common problem and can be treated. Nothing to be embarrassed about. I got my operation on both armpits on Thursday. Now on my road to recovery. Sustained some haematoma on both arms as I'm prone to haematoma but it will go away, just have to be patient.
I'm so looking forward to using sleeveless top as has never dare to show my extra armpits before!!
My situation was milder than many posted here. I believe your best bet might be to see a breast surgeon or at least a general surgeon who bills as a general/breast surgeon. My GYN did a mammo due to a bad breast cancer history in my family, although she was doubtful it was necessary. My liump was  like a large grape but after the mammo and a sonogram that showed "nothing in the lymph nodes and no cause for concern" I waited 6 mos and asked her to refer me to a 2nd opinion. I went to a general/breast surgeon. (general surgeon do specialize in a region of the body. ie... hands, arms etc..) If he knew immediately what it was he didn't tell me, he just looked at the films I brought from the GYN's tests and said it's in a bad place and you have a family history so no biopsy first, I want it all out, Let's get you on the schedule...period. I was surprised he listed teh procedure as a lumpectomy of the right breast! I was a bit worried due to family history and he was highly recommended so I went with it. It was a 1 hour outpatient procedure, no drains needed and I felt fine the next day. It's been 7 days and I'm just waiting for the "steri strips" to fall off and go for a recheck. I have full movement of my arm and only took one pain pill the first night as preventative. Point of my long story is...in the end he told me, he didn't think I have anything to worry about as far as cancer (of course still waiting for definitive pathology to return) but it was just "ectopic breast tissue in the axillary area). After reading all of these posts, I'm willing to guess he suspected or knew that, but scheduled a lumpectomy because it is covered. Maybe even "ectopic breast tissue removal" would be covered, I don't know. I have recently read that a reason for insurance to cover it is that it is a hard area to monitor for breast cancer and much cheaper for them to cover outpatient surgery than cancer treatment later!
Best of luck to you and I hope this helps!
Has anyone had this surgery done in Florida?
i have the same thing i understand how you feel i thought it was me alone that have it i really want to get rid of mines am afraid to wear anything without sleeve
This past Thursday, 6/28/12, I had a breast reduction surgery w/removal of auxillary breast tissue (bilaterally) performed.  I was fortunate to have my insurance cover the entire procedure (TriCare Prime) as my breasts caused a lot of back/neck pain and even had 2 incidents of infection from clogged sweat ducts.  I went from a 36DDD to what is probably a heavy B to small C cup.  So far, they feel great.  Look a little distorted and bruised, scars aren't terrible and that's all supposed to settle/heal as time passes.

My armpit bulge started about 10 years ago but got progressively worse.  It looked awful and I haven't worn anything w/o arms for years.  My surgeon told me it was excess breast tissue and would remove it during the surgery.  I have incision approx 4 inches long under each arm about an inch under the armpit.  The wound is a little large but I'm hoping that with time they'll fade and look minimized.  I've read online about several products (Bioderm, Moderma?sp) help with healing and will ask my surgeon on my follow-up 7/9 about those and his recommendation.

The surgery went much, much better than I thought.  It all took about 3 3-12 hours and I woke very rested and in very little pain.  I have complete feeling in my arms/side/breasts although everything is a bit sore and I have shooting pains throughout my breasts/underarms periodically.  I'm not lifting my arms overhead as I've been told of the need to wait at least 2-3 weeks post-op to do this.  I was originally told I would stay overnight but was doing so well that I left at 7pm the night of the procedure (my surgery was at 7:30am).  They said it was up to me and since I didn't have any complications (nausea/vomiting/excess bleeding) and no tubes, I chose to leave.  I did have my husband, son and daughter all home to help as needed but would not recommend doing so if you're alone.  I was prescribed Perocet every 4 hours and did that until Sunday.  On Sunday, I only used as necessary, about 4 times total through day/night.  Today, I have not used anything yet and really dont feel any need to, but definitely will if I start feeling pain setting in.

I am very pleased with the surgeon, staff and procedure so far and would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone.  I'm 42yrs old and have had issues with my breast size since 16 years old so this was really a dream come true.  If anyone has any questions/comments, I'd be happy to answer the best/honestly that I can.  I live in a suburb of Cleveland and did a lot of research of plastic surgeons in this area and on the procedure itself before I did this and recommend that anyone else considering doing this to do the same.  
Oops, my computer submitted this before I finished.  I have showered daily as recommended) since Friday but my husband washed my hair.  Also avioided wound area, just let some soapy water drip down on area.  Dried well and re-applied dressings.  Very little drainage/bleeding so far so keeping my fingers crossed that wounds are healing well.  That's my biggest concern...infection, so I'm avoiding all alcohol, eating lots of good foods fruits/veggies, esp foods high in Vit C, and NO smoking!!!  That's really bad for any wound healing process.  I don't smoke but if you're considering doing this, you'll need to stop for at least 3-6 months prior to have a good outcome.

I just had my day operation to remove my right axillary breast tissue 3 days ago. I noticed my armpit lump is still around. Is this normal? Wouldn't the operation totally remove it n flatten the lump area? I am not sure if it is the swelling or is that still the lump? Feels very worried. Will appreciate your advice.
I had my axillary breast tissue removal surgery on July 17th, 2012 which now makes me about 5 days post surgery. I was fortunate in that the surgeon I used was the head of the plastic surgery division and my entire surgery was covered by my insurance. I paid nothing out of pocket.

The day of surgery I arrived and was prepped for surgery. My surgery took a little over an hour and a half and I was put under general anesthesia. I did wake up in pain because the local anesthesia had not kicked in yet.i was given Demerol to take the edge off and was able to go home about an hour later. I was proscribed vicodin for the pain and for the first 2-3 days I took it about every 8 hours.

My dressings were closed dressings. I was not proscribed antibiotics as my surgeon informed me that he had injected antibiotics into the incision prior to suturing it shut. As a result for the first few days I had pretty bad swelling. I couldn't rest my arms against my sides the swelling was so severe. However the swelling has gone down drastically and now things look pretty good. I still have no clue what my incisions look like as they are closed dressings. I see my surgeon again on July 26th to have the dressings removed.

Overall my pain level is pretty low but I have definitely been taking it easy with no arm raising or any real lifting. So far I'm quite happy with how things look right now with the dressings on. The appearance of my armpits has I proved significantly and they no longer rub against my arms. I would recommend this surgery to anyone who is considering it.
hello i was just wondering if your issue has been resolved.
I'm sorry? Which issue were you referring to? The axillary breast tissue? As of how things look right now with the closed dressings still on I am very happy. There is a definite improvement. However I have heard it takes a few weeks for the maximum effect to be noticed due to swelling.
Hey Ladies, Im Rell I just got my ecessive breast tissue taken out on july 18,2012 and lipo on my back everything went well, the only thing is that its so swollen and its filled with fluid I had it drain once but it fill back up m now I feel lumps but I wanna know if its normal after predure
I am planning on having this same surgery.  Did they tell you about how long to plan for recovery?
I feel better knowing i am not the only one. I wanted to ask if anybody knows how long does it take to recover completely from having underarm breast tissue removed?...I am planning on getting it done on my both arms, but i would like to know how long until i can go back to work? I'm a registered massage therapist.
I have this problem as well! I am only 18, so I haven't had the experience of dealing with this through a pregnancy. But I have had this since I was about 4 years old! I am finally having mine removed in a little more than two weeks. So glad to know I am not the only one with this problem!
Hi, my gyno recently diagnosed the lump under my left arm as "extra" breast tissue.  It doesn't seem to be growing too quickly, but is slightly painful especially when my bra hits it.  I'm not ready to have surgery, but was wondering what makes it active breast tissue as you stated that insurance will cover.

Thanks,
Nora
hi,
I'm brand new to this site. I hope your pain has subsided. My question is what type of post op bra are you wearing? Does it have sleeves?
I am having BR surgery on 1 28 13 and he will remove arm pit tissue. I am worried about the healing process and what bra to buy.
I hope you feel better real soon!http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Womens-Health/Breast-tissue-in-underarm/show/28812#
Hi I will be going through similar type pain after my Breast Reduction and armpit surgery on 1-28-13.
My question for you is :What bra did you wear post op and weeks after. Did your bra interfere with your incisions.
Thank you for any advise.
Lisa
Hi ,
Can you please tell me what kind of bra you wore after your surgery so as not to irritate your incisions.
I'm due for Breast reduction and armpit tissue removed on 1-28-13 and am really scared.
Thank You,
Lisa
Hi, Can You please tell me what kind of bra you wore post -op and til your incisions were no longer painful.
I am having breast reduction and the Doc. is also removing excess  "breast tissue" from my armpit area. I have been a heavy smoker for years (quit for surgery) and figure I will have a lot of scaring issues.
Thank You  for any help you can offer.
Lisa
Hello everyone! I am scheduled to have surgery in the next couple of weeks. My doctoe informed me that I may feel numb on my arm after the surgery. That scares me. I have also read some of the posts on other sites where women have talked about how pain post op was and of course, that scares me. Does the numb feeling last forever? Does the feeling ever come back? Can you put your arms down after surgery, how do you sleep? The list goes on. Can someone who has gone through this please help me before I scare myself to death. I would greatly appreciate it!
Hi jvjmac, Thank you for your post. I have TriCare Prime as well, and I'm wondering if they will cover just the auxiliary breast tissue removal. I'm assuming you received a referral for this from your PCM. Or did you just call TriCare and see if they covered it? I know your post was from a while ago, but I would love to hear back from you if possible. Thanks!
Hi nealybelle,

I had this surgery last year and there is pain for a good week or so afterwards, but it's nothing unbearable.  You cannot sleep on your sides, only on your back.  The numbing feeling will also last several weeks, but eventually you'll get sensation back.  It's been 1 year after my surgery and I'm very happy with the results, even though it has left scars, I can wear strapless now and feel good about myself.
Thank you so much for answering my question. My surgery is Friday and of course, I have been getting more and more nervous. I am excited about the outcome, but nervous about the pain and what to expect post op. My armpits are much bigger than yours. So I am hoping to have the same great results like you. If there is anything else you can tell me about it, I would love to know. I have no idea how I am going to nurse my son after this, but I am hopeful this won't make me have to stop. My doctor said it shouldn't, but I do not have a high tolerance for pain!Is there anything in particular that I should ask my doctor?
I had my surgery Friday and it went wonderfull! The pain is moreso like a burning/itching feeling. It is definitely bearable and I have a very low tolerance for pain! I had to remove my dressings 24 hours after surgery and when I did, I could see how well things were looking. I am extremely happy. I have lived with these balls under my arms for 7 years. And it has been no fun living in Florida unable to wear tank tops or spaghetti straps! I will post pics soon. I would recommend this surgery to ANYONE that is living with this. Thanks everyone for your comments and thank you Guann66. Your posts and pics really helped me!
Dear all who have this problem - please do go ahead and get it fixed.  The surgery itself is quite straightforward, and the recovery period is not that bad.  This is my day 3 post opp, I am on painkillers and feel a bit drained, but this isn't one of those surgical procedures that would constrain your daily life for many weeks.  I think that in a couple of weeks I will be completely fine.  This surgery is worth doing not only for cosmetic reasons and not only to avoid extra pain during periods.  These bulges also press on your lymph nodes and may constrain blood flow as well.  If you feel pins and nidles in your arms, or if you have some swelling in your arms - those bulges in your armpits may be contributing.  So have a chat to your doctor.
Hi everyone! I used to be MissJustine on here but boy has it been a LONG time! I'm located in San Antonio, Tx. I've had a second child and went through the same painful process during pregnancy & after birth as my first! It hurt like hell, got swollen and was a pain in the butt to breastfeed my son. It got better about a couple weeks afterwards and started to go back to normal size.
Now almost a year and a half later (after having my second child) and weightloss (i'm 5'6" 125lbs now) it's still there! It's not big but still bothersome. Especially when my hormones are acting up! If i press on it it feels very tender so I still steer clear of touching it. I am just so unhappy with it because I have worked so hard for about a year working out & trying to get my body in good shape only to not be able to wear sleeveless tops to show off my work! Its this nasty blob that just sticks out whether my arm is up or down. It makes me sad seeing it and knowing theres nothing I can do to make it any different. (aside from surgery that is...)

I don't currently have health insurance right now but hopefully I will get some soon. Even then I know it'll take forever before they'd even want to cover anything. I'm at a loss as to what I should do... should I just look into care credit or something? Or just try to save up and pay out of pocket? Or wait until I have health insurance in hopes they might cover it?
It's only in my right armpit so I don't have it as bad as some of you ladies but still, it *****!!
I have that problem too, its been more noticeable lately since I've been lifting weights.  I have a hard time to find clothing that fits that does not expose my excessive breast tissue.  I am very self conscious of this and definitely thinking of surgery too to have this removed.
Hi there, My name is Kavi and reside in Phoenix. I have axillary breast tissue under both armpits and planning to consult breast plastic surgeon to get them removed. Did you get it done by plastic surgeon?
How are you feeling now. Do you see any side effects. Really appreciate your esponse and feedback.

Kavitha
This is to everyone who has got surgery done and all those who are contemplating having one done. I got the axillary breasts removed on 25 June and so far they look good. I was admitted at 1 pm and  the procedure was done by a plastic surgeon under general anesthesia and it took around 1 hour for the whole procedure to get over.

Surprisingly enough the doctors were trying to wake me up while still in the OT and then i was moved to ICU. I was concious by then and was given glucose and antibiotics through injections (they are more effective than tablets). I was then discharged at 12 midnight after an examination from the surgeon himself. I took painkillers and vitamin tablets for around 4-5 days and have completely stopped taking painkillers now. I have no pain, just a slight tingly feeling and pain only occurs while I press the wound. Also no drainage tube was used in my case either.

So far I feel good about it, just a little worried as to why no drainage tube was used. I would recommend anyone who is thinking about it to get it done.
Thanks for telling the ladies what this is like post op.  Hope you heal nicely and feel perfect soon!  
I have lump at my underarm filled with water in it.Am having it from my birth.I have been carying it since 25years.But to the gods grace i hav not got any problem becoz of it.it is harmless..but i feel discomfort in wearing sleeve less tops..Now am planning to get it removed..Please let me know if anyone is suffering from similar problem like me other than the breast tissue at the time of pregnency...
Hello. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a plastic surgeon in the Denver CO area. I have breast tissue under my arm and would like to get the surgery to have them removed. Thanks!
thanks for sharing - this made me feel go about what I want to do
Hello Folks,

Glad to have bumped into this informative forum and want to share that I too belong to your fraternity - having a lump in my right armpit.
I don't remember exactly when it first appeared but its been there for few years now. After mustering great courage, i finally visited a General Doc and was pointed towards Surgeon (the word "surgery" just scared the hell out of me !!!)
Anyhow, after some initial investigation I was advised to undergo a FNAC test to diagnose what was this lump all about. With my heart racing fast, I finally collected the results and couldn't just understand a word (it was all in medical language).
The Surgeon then explained that it was some Adipose Tissue (or the so-called rigid fat). Well, FATS i know are always rigid, no doubts !!! He also advised that it was harmless (as its not painful) and that it was purely a personal choice to either get it operated and removed or leave it just like that.
Its been few months now and I am still trying to make up my mind. When I wear sleeveless clothes, it easily gets covered up however it surely jolts my confidence everytime i see it in mirror.
I am just afraid of the whole process of surgery, the recovery time, side-effects(if any), scars left behind etc.
I am into a full time job working on computers and I cannot afford to be bed-ridden for too long so would it cure in a span of 1 week maximum?
I would be extremely obliged for any piece of "sound advise" from my dear friends out here.
Chitra

Hi Advaita, can you tell me where you are located and which doctor did the procedure .
Hi anyone from Toronto, got this surgery done??
I would really appreciate a referral to a doctor in Michigan.  I have gone to one of those spa type doctors (lipo, botox, fillers, etc.) who referred me to a breast surgeon and said it would be covered by insurance.  The breast doctor has just screwed me around and wasted my time for 3 months now, then submitted it incorrectly to the insurance company as needing breast fat removed, so insurance denied it.  Now I need to find another doctor who really CARES and knows what they are doing so I can get this approved and get the surgery done!  I don't know where else to turn yet I see so many people here who have successfully had it done with no problem.  I would appreciate any kind of referral for the Michigan area, even if I have to travel a bit, I want it done so badly.  I feel like it is ruining my life!  Thank you guy so much.
Hi baby7799,

I am in the Greater Toronto Area and am post-op 11 days now. I will message you privately with the name of my breast-reduction plastic surgeon who does these on a regular basis.

Thanks kindly to all the contributors to this forum. You brave and tenacious ladies gave me the guts to deal with this issue once and for all (even after bad experiences with some doctors).  
Hello Kavitha,

My name is Kavitha as well, and I got mine done on Nov 8th after debating over 1.5 years whether to get it done or not.  The pain and regular tenderness when touched made me decide to get it done finally.  I have Kaiser and I saw general Physician, ob/Gyn and of course a private well known plastic surgeon (consultation was free).  My ob/gyn ordered ultrasound and all the docs concluded that its a extra breast issue not the extra fat.  Now I was referred to 'specialist', general surgeon.  I actually saw him 2012 beginning and have been back and forth for atleast 3 times because of my nervousness to go through the process as I read about the drains they put in and painful it is and all that.  

The doctor said that it was old practice to put the drains but he is not going to go with it. That made me little confidence to go ahead.

Finally, I got it done on the Nov 8th on both armpits (right one had huge lump compared to left). it went on well and I was home after I woke up.  Removed my dressing after 48 hours, it was little discomfort but I was ok to move both arm (I was able to use my tablet :) ).  I was given Hydrocodone for pain to be taken 4 hours apart.  I took like that for 1week and after that i'm reducing.  I showered on my 3rd day after surgery even you can shower after 48 hours.  my surgical strips are start to come off now even they said they fall off about 10 days or so.  i'm not worried as these seems to extra protection.  

two weeks into it now, (i'm not lifting things or doing any stressful thing, even cooking.  had my friend help me with ) I'm still suffering with numbness in both arms, tingling.  I'm using almond oil (any oil might work,just to aid the massage process) and massaging the tingling area and that seems to work very well and I feel normal for atleast couple of hours, so i'm doing before bed.  had my post op and they i'm healing fine but I do got the fluid accumulated but the doc said he can remove it by fine needle by numbing the area but it might fill the area again.  The body should absorb the fluid normally so he left it upto me either to wait and see or to have it removed, I chose to wait and see for week and if its not improving i'll go ahead have it taken out.

Will post an update.
hi ,
I have same problem , armpit fat under my right arm, just may I ask anyone did surgery pls write how much it cost for you . I really like to do it but I don't know if is it possible or its much expensive for me, thanks
hi ,
hello,
I have same problem as everybody else here. Nealybelle, or anyone who have had the surgery last year, how does it feel now after an year ?
Is the scar going to remain even if a plastic surgeon does the surgery ? I thought the science is so advanced these days, they can make the scar disappear after a while...right ?
Any complications after surgery that remains for ever ? will we be able to lift hands up and do any kind of exercises as before after the surgery ? If the scar remains, then it will still be odd looking if wear sleeveless right ? ...and many more questions I have just like everyone else. Please anybody give me some more inputs and answer my questions so I can make a right decision. I know everybody here says go ahead and get the surgery done. But apart from cosmetic, I dont have any pain or any problem in that area except that it looks bad and I cant wear any dress I want...even I have been hiding that area all this time for 15years. I have 2 kids, so I am done with pregnancy and all that. So thinking of going for this surgery for cosmetic reasons only. I am planning to meet 2 surgeons, one general and one cancer related....and take opinion from both and see if I should go through this.
Please advise.
Hello Kavitha,
Since you got this procedure done recently, may be you can throow some light on pros and cons of going through this procedure.
Mine will be purely cosmetic as I dont have any kind of pain under arms. Under arms used to be swollen of course while I was breast feeding, now everything back to normal. But first time I found out I have these 10 years back, I might have had them before also, assuming it has been 15 years or more.
I always felt inferior about my physic only for these reasons, otherwise I am healthy. To look better and to be able to wear sleevless dresses or swimsuits, I am thinking of this. But biggest concern is, going through this procedure should not cause any new health problems as I have been healthy throughout. Cosmetic surgery should not cause real health problems as I am a busy working mom with 2 kids.

Also would like to know overall how long it took to feel normal after the surgery as I cant afford to take rest for long. So please advise. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Hi Advaita,
Is it good to get surgery done by a plastic surgeon or a genearl sugeon.
My general physician advised to go to general surgeon, but question is, is there a difference in how the scar looks afterwards if a general surgeon did or a plastic surgeon.
If I am getting it done, my purpose is it should look perfectly normal afterwards so there is no scar as well. If there is still a scar, and if I still feel uncomfortable waring sleevless, then what is the use of going through all this is my question.
I dont have any pain, only cosmetic reasons I would like to get this done.
So please advise based on your experience.
I have the extra breast tissue in both underarm areas. I've been contemplating to have the tissue removed. I think i have decided to do the procedure. I want to find a good surgeon. I have medical insurance with blue cross.  Does anyone know any good surgeon in Los Angeles area that will take (my) insurance?
Viewing 601-643 comments: