Contractions while not pregnant

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Contractions while not pregnant

Does anyone know anything about this? This is so strange! Last night when I was laying down before I fell asleep, I started having contractions. I am NOT pregnant. I had contractions for about a hour, and they were almost exactly 10 minutes apart each time, but the last 2 were 9 minutes apart. After that I decided to just go to sleep. Note: I do intend to call my doctor, but they don't take phone calls (they take a message and call you back in about 2 days... it sucks)

I was told I have PCOS recently, but I don't believe this is pain caused by the rupturing of cysts. I have had a child before, and it felt just like that... I swear I could even feel my cervix dialating (not alot, just a little). I am no longer having contractions this morning.

I'm REALLY REALLY hoping this is a period because I haven't had one in 7 months, and I started taking birth control pills about 2 weeks ago. Do period cramps hurt like this?! I was always regular before these past 7 months, and I have never had period cramps! Do they feel like labor contractions?

If anyone has any advice for me, I would really appreciate it! The only thing I can compare my experience to is labor pains and I'm worried my doctor is going to try to pass it of as a bowel problem or something. Thank you!
Period cramps feel like squeezing a fist really tight until your hand begins to ache because there is no longer enough blood in it, and then letting the hand relax.  That's a pretty good description of contractions, too, at the earlier stages of labor.  So yeah, it could definitely be period cramps, especially if you have been waiting a long time for them to come and you have a lot of endometrial lining built up.
Avatar n tn
Thanks! It's good to know that it could just be cramps... is it possible to have period cramps that are so timed out?
Sure, even if you haven't been waiting forever for the period to come.  The uterus sheds its lining by contracting, and only it decides when to clench.
Avatar n tn
Thanks a bunch! It gives me hope to know that this very well could be a sign that my parts are still working. :)
Avatar n tn
i am 21 and have 2 kids just misscarried a month ago, i have had these contraction feelings for a few months now and im not pregnant i have not had my period in 2 yeras the past few days these contraction type feeling has gotten worse i been feeling really nausiated  here and there to, does anyone know what is wrong with me or any possibilities please email me at ***@****
Well where do I start..

I have three kids so I definitely know what contractions are!  Now I have an IUD in and I have been having contractions and I am not pregnant!

They are exacting like labor pain but without labor, I have been to several docs, one said it was an ulcer, the other gas reflex etc.  Eventually i got fed up and went to get an ultra sound of my abdomen - the woman told me that both kidneys were low functioning, and  I have polycystic ovaries - I heard that one before!  One gyne told me I was lucky to have a child because of the condition - well I got two after that , also they discovered I have a heart shape uterus, mitral valve prolapse etc...

I guess we all have something but never know about it - my only suggestion is to pay attention to all vital organs and drink more water!!!

And don't let anyone convince you that it is all in your head.
Avatar n tn
Please can anyone help,ive had my gallbladder out as i had gallstones,i am suffering really bad with what feels like contractions,i am definately not pregnant,i am having trouble with my bowel emotions to,i have had orange mucus and a blood clot pass from my behind,he says its irritable bowel,im having shooting pains up into my vagina,lower back pain,plz can any1 help me as im not satisfied with just irritable bowel,i have had the camera up my bottom and am waiting for the results,plz has anyone had similar symptons,if so what can it be,its really depressing me,also i feel hungry but when i eat a few spoonfuls im bloated and the top of my tummy is swelling.
thats what it could be ladies either u need to **** or these pains are eggs releasing from ur tubes..try to take a hot bath or put a heating pad on ur belly...being a women is not ezy...but im glad each and everyone of u care abt your body!
I have felt this an I went to the doc.I found out I had a bladder infection I've had two kids an I was very weird to feel contractions when I new I wasent preg. Go see the doc an get pill before it works its way to ur kidneys this really ***** I get this all the time an I hate it
Wow... last night I began to feel a terrible pain in my lower abdomen just like if I was going into labor. I know because I had a baby 7 months ago. I was ready to go to the hospital because the pain was unbearable. It felt like contractions (not one that comes and goes) but a contraction which lasted for about 25-30 min straight. I could move or couldn't stand. Towards the end my lower back began to hurt as well...   I'm 21 and just had the IUD inserted about a week ago. Could that be the problem????
I am 30 years old with two children. I have been on my period for almost 3 months with out a break. Heavy bleeding and very large clots. Now I seriously feel like I am in labor, it even feels like I am dilating. Any ideas?
I have problems with bloating and stomach pain that radiates around from the front of my tummy to my lower back. I found through a vaginal ultrasound that I have a large polyp or fibroid in my uterus and my lining is 20mm instead of 10mm. I have had contractions with this because my uterus is trying to push out the object, my doctor said, which makes sense. It could be the same with IUD's, your uterus may be trying to push it out, rejecting it. My ovaries are fine, but uterus hates me. One doctor told me that I have to have a D & C done and the polyp removed right away. I got a second opinion and was told it is nothing to rush about, and that I do not have to have a D & C. I could have an ablation that will destroy the lining of my uterus so that more polyps ( if that is what it truly is) will not develop. Destroying the lining causes most that have it done to no longer have a period, some have spotting, but you would no longer be able to have children because there is no lining for an egg to plant in.

My advice is to get a vaginal ultrasound, and get a second opinion when surgery is brought up. Advocate for yourself. Do not let doctors just prescribe you meds without you looking into the side effects and look at all your options when surgery is brought up. I had a bladder infection twice last year and went to the ER; they ended up prescribing me Cipro for a bladder infection. This antibiotic is used for people who have been exposed to anthrax. I wasn't dying; I just had a bad bladder infection, and should not have taken that drug. I trusted the ER doctor, took it and had extremely bad side effects for over a year because of it. I will not take any drugs now unless it is necessary to keep me alive. Our bodies weren't made for all these chemicals, and high amounts of gluten products, fast food, etc...

If you are having bloating problems try a gluten free diet. It will help. Also try taking a pro-biotic. While people may not have something as severe as Celiac, you could have a gluten sensitivity that can cause you intestinal issues. You can get it in yogurt or in pill form from a health food store.  Both of these things helped with my bloating. Be careful to know what nutrients you are losing when going gluten free, so you can supplement with other foods or vit's/min's.
Avatar n tn
I,
I'm happy to read you all. I had may times in the past those kind of contractions... the exact SAME of the one in labor. I had too kids naturally, so I know!
Usually it last for 20-30 min.But last week end I had an episode of 3 hours... it was horrible. Ctx that last for 2 to 5 minutes, stop 2 to 5 minutes and comes back. The same when we're at 9cm, ready to push.
I went to ER and  it stop after 1,5 hour there so I sign a refusal of treatment and promise I would do the tests to my office the day after. (I'm a midwife).

So I did the tests. But no Ultrasound. I fugure I should schedule one...
When I saw my cervix it was all red at the opening and a bit bloody, like if the ctx had try to open it... it is SO WEIRD!!!

I wonder a thing: If everything is right medically, could it be something like having to much compassion for women giving birth? Or being connected to some people we love that are having trouble and we "feel" it?

Does anybody knows something about that?

Actually I would prefere that theory better than any other medical cause...

I will start rasberry tea for a while and visualise light in my cervix!!!

Thank you for you sharing...

And by the way: I'm sorry for my english! I'm French!!

Avatar n tn
I,

Thank you for you sharing...

i have this pain as well. and i have had a child before so i do know the pain of contractions. they do not come and go like every 10 mins. but i will get a bad one for anywhere between 3-7 mins and then it will just go away until the next time. ive had an ultrasound and they found nothing, ahhh. could i just be gas?
Wow. I just had this exact same thing happen to me twice now. I'm 33 and never been pregnant, have PCOS. Could you email me?? rainboweverything (4) gmi4l d 0t k0 m
I'm 49...still having my period every month without fail...can't wait for menopause!!! but last month on my second day of my period, I started having contractions...just like hard labor..yes I've had a baby and know what it feels like...the contractions lasted about 2 hours and were about 5 minutes apart lasting 1minute or so...I had both front and back labor...my husband was about to take me to the ER when I tilted my cervics up in the air with pillow and a chair then my contractions stopped. I do have large fibroids so I'm thinking that maybe one of them was trying to come out? I'm trying to avoid surgery because supposedly fibroids shrink during menopause...but am scared for my next period!
Well I am 29 and have 5 kids. i have had my tubes tied for over 3 years now. Last month i was over a week late and this month I am right at two weeks late. i have taken tests and all negative. Now I started having full blown contractions not the false ones known as braxton hicks but the real thing. Timing them every 2 to 3 minutes lasting about 45 sec to 1.5 long. I am currently on my cycle but don't understand what could be causing these symptoms. Please any advice out there is welcome. Thanks ladies!
HAVING CONTRACTIONS AND I AM NOT PREGNANT WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME???
Just wondering if you had any conclusion to your problem? Your symptoms are exactly like mine. But I'm 43 and have gone through this about 5 times since having my second baby nearly 17 years ago. Doctor wasn't sure what it was.
I had two children.Had one normally.I had placents previa and ceaserian section with the other one.I am not pregnant.I have been having serious unbearable contraction for days now.I wonder what it is.I had an IUD removed few months ago.Had the IUD because I was having heavy bleeding due to fibroid.Instead of myomectomy,Drs suggested a hysterectomy due to the size of the fibroid. I have gatherd some ideas now by reading different posts on this page.Thanking u all for sharing.Any more suggestions?Thanks
I know this post is old, and you already would have found out by now what the pain, and bleeding was, but for anyone else who might be reading this... She could have been pregnant.  I bled through all 5 of my pregnancies. With one, I started bleeding at 13 weeks.  Bled heavily all the way to 26 weeks when I started having contractions and gave birth.  I was young, and stupid, and not getting proper prenatal care.  Turns out the baby had died at what they assumed was around 13 weeks.  So just because your bleeding, it doesn't mean your not pregnant, and just because you are pregnant and bleeding, it doesn't necessarily mean the baby is hurt, or dead.  I bled heavily with my daughter who is now a 12 year old healthy, happy girl, my 10 year old son, and 16 year old son.  But - I also bled with the baby who died, and my other daughter who had a heart defect.  I was told with the healthy babies that it has something to do with a pocket of blood from the amniotic sac not attaching to the uterine wall completely, or correctly.  The other babies they said, it was because my body tried to "get rid of" them because there was something wrong with them.  One successfully, and one who died at 2 1/2 months from her heart defect.  I found this post looking to see why it feels like I'm having contractions, but am not pregnant.  Looks like from the posts on here, the cyst on my ovary may have ruptured.  I don't trust doctors so I guess I'll sit here in pain, and wait to see what happens.  They never seem to know what's wrong until it's too late anyways
You need to get evaluated. We need to know if you are on birth control currently.Some birth control causes bleeding for months.  You are describing large clots; and that seems like a more serious problem.  Go see your OB/GYN for an evaluation.  
I had my 1st child in 2007 and after I had her I was getting these very very bad pain in my belly but the nite when I was going to labor my contractions  wasn't as loud as it was a post be but its like 3 or 4 months later I started to get these very very bad pain in my belly and it would wake me up at nite I would do the breathing blow in and out and it didn't work lol and so around 2am they stoped  and never came back again until dec.23.2013 I had my wonderful son I was only 6months and I had 3 months to go my son was born 2pounds and 8ounces and so now its like its all happening again but only this time after a year last nite the pain came back but this time it happens while im driving or at the store in my sleep and while im cleaning the house I whent to the doctor and got a ulta sound and blood testes done x-raxs done they said everything is fine everything is good but I don't know something is wrong with me can any one help me.......
It's so rude to say you don't trust doctors. You trusted them with all 5 of your babies, labor, delivery and recovery. Doctors are just that, DOCTORS! They are here to HELP diagnose problems, they are not GOD or whatever higher power you may or may not believe in. They never claim to have all the answers, its just like any other profession. TRIAL AND ERROR!!! They are taught a certain way to try and find answers, that doesn't mean they will always get it correct. Maybe watching House, and other medical related shows isn't in your best interest since you seem to believe in the fairy-tale of what TV depicts. I am not a doctor however I have been in the medical field for over 12 years. The past 4 years I have been deathly ill, had it not been for my wonderful group of doctors, trial and error, test after test and finally getting to the bottom of one issue, which actually was the one that darn near killed me I wouldn't be here today. I have chronic hyponatremia that almost took my life twice and my team of doctors worked day in and day out trying to figure out what was wrong. On top of that I also have a thing called Gastroparesis (paralysis of the stomach and moving into my lower intestines) Both of which I had NEVER heard of in my whole career! I am 30yr and never expected to be in the position that I am in. I also have lupus, PCOS, anemia, and a few other medical issues. All I want to say is that my doctors are amazing and you shouldn't down all of them just bc you got a hold of a few ****** ones. It still took over 4 years to get where I am with my diagnosis but I never lost faith in my medical care team bc they showed me how much they actually cared. I had a few bad apples along the way but it is not cause for me to me to call them all bad doctors and say I don't trust them. You go to school as long as they do, do all of your clinicals, do you rotations, get thrown on the front line and see how well you do as a Doctor!!! They work their ***** off everyday just to hear from ppl like you that they are not good enough. Science changes and with that so does medicine. It's an ever growing field with new advancement and treatments along with new and harder to treat illnesses. Maybe we should look at what we're doing wrong, that's causing them to constantly have to re-evolve and re-evaluate the way they have to go about treating and diagnosing us! Doctors are not perfect nor do they claim to be...and if you find one that does, that's your queue to get up and run! Doctors saved my life and I'm still here to be a mother to my 2 wonderful kids and if nothing else, I am 100% fully thankful to them for that!!! So maybe next time you are in a do or die situation, you should go to McDonalds and see what kind of advice they offer since you don't trust doctors maybe you can trust them.......who else are you gonna run to???  
ingramlem,
    ?Your comment to Loyalthatsme was absolutely uncalled for and quite judgemental for someone who claims to be in the "medical field".  Most people who have made a career serving and caring for others are expected to have the ability to read a post such as the one written by Loyalthatsme with feelings of sincere empathy for the tragedy and loss the poor woman undoubtedly suffered with the deaths of two babies. At no time did she say that "that all doctors are bad" as you implied more than once. She simply said that she does not trust doctors. I do not know this woman or the entirety of what appears to be a very difficult and painful journey for her. However, she is certainly allowed to have her own feelings and insecurities regarding her own personal life struggles and share them on this forum with honesty. We are here to help and encourage one another with an expectation that we won't be insulted for expressing a feeling that might be different from someone else. I would kindly ask that you please be considerate of others.

I would add that I'm very pleased that you had a good experience with your medical team. It sounds like you have been through quite an ordeal yourself and I will certainly remember you in my prayers.
you sound like u have a good line of doctors behind you..   Could u help me with a few questions
Avatar n tn
Could you please explain your position better.
Avatar n tn
Who are you to tell her it is rude to trust doctors.  You do not know if she trusted them with the birth of her 5 children or not.  It is hard to find a good doctor, who is not a narcissistic, know it all,  who actually listens to his/her patients.  I was diagnosed with abdominal cancer in 2009, for over 2 years before my diagnosis I was dismissed by doctor after doctor trying to tell me "you have irritable bowel syndrome", "you have a ruptured cyst", "you are suffering from depression".  Too many doctors will not dig deep to uncover symptoms, and instead give blanket diagnosis when tests are inconclusive.  So yes, there is plenty of reasons not to trust doctors.  The answer isn't swearing off medical care, but finding a doctor you can trust.  
pb95, and KTowne commented on renae176's status
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
Vikki2 is ...Joyful and Content Comment
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals