WOMEN'S HEALTH
COMMUNITY
Contractions while not pregnant
by happyflower, Aug 28, 2006
Does anyone know anything about this? This is so strange! Last night when I was laying down before I fell asleep, I started having contractions. I am NOT pregnant. I had contractions for about a hour, and they were almost exactly 10 minutes apart each time, but the last 2 were 9 minutes apart. After that I decided to just go to sleep. Note: I do intend to call my doctor, but they don't take phone calls (they take a message and call you back in about 2 days... it sucks)

I was told I have PCOS recently, but I don't believe this is pain caused by the rupturing of cysts. I have had a child before, and it felt just like that... I swear I could even feel my cervix dialating (not alot, just a little). I am no longer having contractions this morning.

I'm REALLY REALLY hoping this is a period because I haven't had one in 7 months, and I started taking birth control pills about 2 weeks ago. Do period cramps hurt like this?! I was always regular before these past 7 months, and I have never had period cramps! Do they feel like labor contractions?

If anyone has any advice for me, I would really appreciate it! The only thing I can compare my experience to is labor pains and I'm worried my doctor is going to try to pass it of as a bowel problem or something. Thank you!
Member Comments (22)
by AnnieBrooke, Aug 28, 2006
Period cramps feel like squeezing a fist really tight until your hand begins to ache because there is no longer enough blood in it, and then letting the hand relax.  That's a pretty good description of contractions, too, at the earlier stages of labor.  So yeah, it could definitely be period cramps, especially if you have been waiting a long time for them to come and you have a lot of endometrial lining built up.
by AnnieBrooke, Aug 28, 2006
Sure, even if you haven't been waiting forever for the period to come.  The uterus sheds its lining by contracting, and only it decides when to clench.
by happyflower, Aug 28, 2006
Thanks! It's good to know that it could just be cramps... is it possible to have period cramps that are so timed out?
by happyflower, Aug 29, 2006
Thanks a bunch! It gives me hope to know that this very well could be a sign that my parts are still working. :)
by mandy861102, Aug 12, 2008
i am 21 and have 2 kids just misscarried a month ago, i have had these contraction feelings for a few months now and im not pregnant i have not had my period in 2 yeras the past few days these contraction type feeling has gotten worse i been feeling really nausiated  here and there to, does anyone know what is wrong with me or any possibilities please email me at ***@****
by Helliseverynametaken, Dec 04, 2008
Well where do I start..

I have three kids so I definitely know what contractions are!  Now I have an IUD in and I have been having contractions and I am not pregnant!

They are exacting like labor pain but without labor, I have been to several docs, one said it was an ulcer, the other gas reflex etc.  Eventually i got fed up and went to get an ultra sound of my abdomen - the woman told me that both kidneys were low functioning, and  I have polycystic ovaries - I heard that one before!  One gyne told me I was lucky to have a child because of the condition - well I got two after that , also they discovered I have a heart shape uterus, mitral valve prolapse etc...

I guess we all have something but never know about it - my only suggestion is to pay attention to all vital organs and drink more water!!!

And don't let anyone convince you that it is all in your head.
by Minnie458, May 28, 2009
Please can anyone help,ive had my gallbladder out as i had gallstones,i am suffering really bad with what feels like contractions,i am definately not pregnant,i am having trouble with my bowel emotions to,i have had orange mucus and a blood clot pass from my behind,he says its irritable bowel,im having shooting pains up into my vagina,lower back pain,plz can any1 help me as im not satisfied with just irritable bowel,i have had the camera up my bottom and am waiting for the results,plz has anyone had similar symptons,if so what can it be,its really depressing me,also i feel hungry but when i eat a few spoonfuls im bloated and the top of my tummy is swelling.
by shaagh, Dec 21, 2010
thats what it could be ladies either u need to **** or these pains are eggs releasing from ur tubes..try to take a hot bath or put a heating pad on ur belly...being a women is not ezy...but im glad each and everyone of u care abt your body!
by lilbit702, Jan 21, 2011
I have felt this an I went to the doc.I found out I had a bladder infection I've had two kids an I was very weird to feel contractions when I new I wasent preg. Go see the doc an get pill before it works its way to ur kidneys this really ***** I get this all the time an I hate it