Cramps to the point of fainting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Cramps to the point of fainting

Hello, I am a newbie and I have a question. I have gotten cramps to the point I had gotten sick, in a cold sweat, and shaking but never blacked-out. Two weeks ago on the day I started my period, I got a cramp so bad that I got sick and ended up fainting three times. Is this normal or should I have it checked out? My mom asked her gynacologist(spelled right?) about the incident and he said to watch what happend on my next period and to take two tylenol the day before in the morning and two again at night. And repeat for the day I start. He said if it does not work, then I have to go in to see him. Does anyone have any advice? I have had my period for 7 years.
I would go see a doctor ASAP...fainting is not a good thing..
Please see a doctor.
Prior to childbirth, I had the same as you minus the black-outs. In looking back and knowing more now, I am certain that I had endometriosis.

As for the black-outs, that isn't normal. Your body is really stressing (to put it mildly) over your gnyo problem. I would see him and ask about endometriosis.

Look here and take note (too) of what Endo is mistaken for (cysts etc.) as they need be considered.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/endometriosis/DS00289/DSECTION=2
My sister would faint from the pain and loss of blood (hemorrhage) she would be anemic every month...turned out she had endometriosis (sp?).  It's awful!  So sorry to hear you are going through this...Good luck to you~
When I saw your description "Cramps to the point of fainting", that was me about seven years ago.  If I would start in the middle of the night, it would wake me up and hurt so bad I couldn't even walk.  When I was a teen, I'd have to crawl to my mothers room for her help.  It was endometriosis.  I had a hysterectomy when I was 26 to get rid of it, and "lucky me" just found out about a month ago that I have it again.  I thought a hysterectomy was a cure all, but come to find out, it's not.  If it is endo, your doctor can do a laparoscopy (going in through the belly button) and burn it off.  Good luck, I know it's hell.
I appreciate your help. The doctor said to monitor my next period which is from the middle of next week to the middle of the following week is when I am supposed to start somewhere in that time. If I get a severe cramp and vomiting, and possibly fainting, I have to go see him. If I get just a mild cramp, I will wait until my next period. This is only the second time in 7 years I have had a severe cramp.
Be really careful about your fainting spells. My daughter (who is now 13) started her period at age 11. She's always had terrible, painful periods. In January 2008 she fainted for the first time during the first day of a period. She broke her jaw and had to have her jaw wired shut. Then last week (June 2008) she fainted twice in one day during her menstrual cycle. Luckily, she called my husband saying she was going to vomit and when he came into the bathroom to help her she fainted and he caught her. She's going to the OB/GYN in a couple of weeks. She has also missed so much school you wouldn't believe it! I'm concerned about endometriosis as well....
I have the same problem. I was losing consciousness when I was driving to work one day, and unfortunately I was not only stuck in Sydney traffic, but I was somewhere where you couldn't pull off to the side of the road. I don't know how I managed to keep myself conscious to get to work and drag my bum into my friend's office and ask for help.

BE CAREFUL.

My Doctor seems to think it was just low blood pressure during me period. Who knows. If it happens again, I'm going back. I hold no hope in the local Drs though.
i have fainting spells  followed by severe period like cramps but i don't have periods  regulary i have not had a period since feb 09 but i am not pregnant  i use to be on the depro shot when i was younger i was on it four yrs and every since i got off it it i haven't had a regular period since. but when i get these bad cramps i go to the restroom and i sit there  after a few mins the cramps will get worse and i lay my head down next thing i know i am on the floor  i know i felt my self jerking when i came to but i couldn't move and i felt like throwing up  .. i have been having these fainting spells since i was 12 doctors can't explain they did every test they could and found nothing . i am thinking it has something to do with me being constipated alot thts where the cramps are  but i don't know
My Mum, Aunts cousins have all had cramps painful to the point of fainting spells. I have irregular periods, so I have about a 2 minute window from when the cramps & heavy bleeding begin to when I am going to "DROP" . I looked on this site for info from other women bc my periods have become more irregular over past year... Curious to know others have fainting & painful cramps ( I tell my gyno they feel like contractions.. He doesn't seem to get it).