D

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

D

My question is this...I had a D&C due to me having a miscarriage because of a blighted ovum.  Is a D&C the same as an abortion?  I have so many regrets of having this done.  I found out I was pregnant in March of this year and within a week of finding out that, I found out that my baby was not growing (blighted ovum) and I needed to have a D&C to extract the tissue.  It breaks my heart to know that I did this.  I wanted a baby...I want a family.  I'm scared to try again, fearing that this will happen again.  But that is another topic.  I'm against abortions, but isn't a D&C a "legal" way for an abortion?  I have to keep telling myself that my baby was dead and the D&C was the only option and I put my health and everything in my doctor's hands.  If it's not the same, sorry to go on about the misunderstanding.  Thanks a bunch!
D&C and Abortion are two totally different things! What you did was NOT abortion! There was no hope, or else the Dr. wouldn't have suggested it! Please don't beat yourself up over this! You had to do the D&C for your own health and the future health of your babies :)
According to my doctor my HCG levels put me at 14 weeks, but the u/s measured the sac at 8 weeks.  I understand the blighted ovum and the doctor told me it was a fluke thing and it doesn't mean it will happen next time.  Just there was a chromosome mix-up.  I wanted to wait because my HCG levels were still increasing, but not at the rate they were supposed to.  My doctor wanted to go ahead and have the D&C done.  I just have regrets about it...and the "what ifs".  Thanks for the responses.  I appreciate it.
Hi sorry to hear of what happened. I think from wat ur saying there was no real choice. The baby wasnt growing did he say there was no heart beat or anything? Im not sure what a blighted ovum is but maybe it was dangerous for you? I know D&c is used in abortions but Ive read ladies on here who have had it because of natural miscarriage etc. Dont beat urself up about it, some things happen for a reason, and like I said it seems u had no choice. Before trying again try and ask your dr about what the chances are of this happening again etc, maybe its a slim chance.

Hopefully ul get some better answers soon but please dont blame urself, u didnt do this diliberately it couldnt be helped. (HUGS)
If you had a blighted ovum, the embryo did not develop.  A blighted ovum is when cells develop to form the pregnancy sac, but not the embryo itself.

Doctors often recommend a D&C after blighted ovum is confirmed, to clean out the remaining tissue.  Another option is to let the body pass the tissues naturally, but there is concern about retained tissue causing infections.  

What makes something an abortion is the presence or absence of a viable embryo.  If it was a definite diagnosis of blighted ovum, confirmed by hCG numbers and ultrasounds, your D&C was not an abortion because you had no embryo.