D&C without anesthesia??
Hi!!

I just had a miscarriage and my ob doctor told me to choose the D&C option. But when I asked about anesthesia, she said that they would only give me something to relax and I will not be pain free. No anesthesia. I have heard from my friends that D&C's are pretty painful. I have no idea if this is legal or not. Has anybody had such an experience? FYI, my insurance is Kaiser.

Helllllllllllllllllp!!
I had a D&C at Kaiser.  Maybe what your doc is referring to is that they give you something that "almost" puts you to sleep, (in my case, it did).  Don't worry if that is what your doc is talking about, it provided all the pain relief I could have wanted.  Ask your doctor really specifically what they do, and if you are still nervous, talk to the nurse- anesthetist for details.
Thanks for your answer, Annie.

I did talk to my ob and she told me they would only use some lidocaine. She also mentioned that they will use conscious sedation if i am nervous about the procedure.

I hope it wont hurt too bad, I am thinking of getting an appointment for next week.

Will update you on how it went.

Regards.
Im gonna talk about my non anesthetic D&C procedure, for those who are afraid or cannot get a general anesthsia for any reason.  

At first i had taken 30mg of some form of valium/antianxiety/relaxer 1 hr prior to my procedure. although i was not ``out`` of it, i felt much more calm then i was before. AND BELIEVE ME I WAS CRYING LIKE A BABY THINKING I MIGHT DIE AFTER THE D&C PAIN.  Lollll

An hour later my husband and i went into the office, im still trembling from fear of the unknown.  

A nurse came in and gave me a injection near my buttocks (pain reliever) which felt like a normal shot but it stinged for about 5 seconds after but quickly went away.

The doc came in, told me what he will do step by step, very slowly.  He was very nice and said he will try his best to make me feel comfortable because he saw how terrified i was to start.

He lubricated that Metal thing they use during a pap smear and inserted it very slowly and went well didnt feel a thing.  He said he is about to numb the cervix with local anesthtics (this was my worst fear) but i kid you not it did not even feel like a injection and couldnt believe he was already done so fast.  My husband was supportive and talking to me the whole time while he injected me so i was in my own lil world.

He then left for about 10 mins for the numbing to take effect. He began to insert many rods to dialate my cervix, again NO PAIN AT ALL if anything maybe a little pressure, but very simple.  Just make sure u get ur mind off of it, talk to someone near you, or just breath.  But honestly without doing all that, it did not even hurt.

Next he took a small vaccum device and inserted it into my unterus, this is when it got a bit uncomfortable, not painful, but pressure and kind of like cramps.

Next thing u know, the doc said u are done.  Everything went great.  And im here now at home doing chores.  

It can be emotionally tough but God made us strong. We can do it but DO NOT CRY AND DEPRESS URSELF IN FEAR OF PAIN, IT IS NOT PAINFUL AT ALL.  trust me plz because i want no women to be scared thinking they NEED to be put under.  I was thinking i did, but if god forbid for it to happen again, i would def do it this way again but this time with no fear or anxiety.

I really reccomend having someone with u in the room to talk to u about funny random stuffand squeeze ur hand.  BELIEVE IT OR NOT MY HUSBAND MADE ME LAUGH THROUGHOUT THE PROCEDURE!

BLESS U ALL BE STRONG:hugs:
I just had a D & C done in the doctors office.  No pains meds, freezing etc. and I would never recommend this to anyone.  It was so excruciating painful.  I had the option of having it done in the office or hospital and figured I could tough it out at the doctors office.  In hindsight, I would definitely opt to have it done at the hospital where I likely would not have felt a thing.  Unbelievable pain.
I just had a D&C this morning.  Valium and ibuprofen and of course numbing of the cervix.  I can't even describe the amount of pain...excruciating, unbearable.  I actually almost passed out mid way through.  I would NEVER recommend this method.  A woman doesn't deserve this amount of physical pain on top of the mental and emotional pain leading up to it.  

Sending love and positive thoughts to those who are going through this.  
My wife had a D&C done at her then OB/Fertility doctors office. She had a tubal ectopic pregnancy and the Dr said she needed a d&c. I'm a nurse so I assumed she'd do twilight sedation and analgesic.

Nope.

No meds.

She just broke out the instruments and went for it. I was stunned. I had to hold my screaming wife down while this quack did it. Might as well have broken out the rusty coat hanger. My wife said later the pain was so excruciating she thought she'd pass out. And she has a HIGH pain tolerance, normally doesn't even need lidocaine for fillings.

Needless to say we never went back.. ..

This was NOT an emergency D&C. It wasn't even necessary as the ectopic was tubal. They also gave methotrexate injection.

Months later we did end up in the ER as the methotrexate hadn't worked and there was a 1cm X 2cm fetus in her fallopian tube with a beating heart. More methotrexate and some morphine. I won't go into that while ordeal it's off topic.

Summary: DON'T allow a Dr to do a d&c without proper medication it is HORRIBLY painful. You don't need general anesthesia, light sedation, analgesics (more than just ibuprofen!) or even lidocaine (or both) is sufficient depending on your pain tolerance
Hey there everyone!

I am actually looking for some advice.

Just some quick background, I am always regular. Around the same day of the month. I have had very heavy and painful periods before, and have had them since I started bleeding (which happened when I was in the first grade.)

I started to bleed on October 4th, 2015. Pretty normal period for me, heavy, painful, lots of blood. Lots of clots. The only weird thing was that I never stopped. I saw my doctor in November and he referred me to a gynecologist. I have been to a gynecologist before, and they are always men. I was told that I had PCOS by a doctor who wouldn't even listen to me explain how painful or large my clots were. I had photos to prove what I was saying, but he didn't listen. He never prescribed me any medication for PCOS, but he did recommend that I go on birth control. I was on it for a very short time, and I noticed that I had severe depression. (I was imagining myself killing myself. This happened because someone had eaten the last Oreo. I kid you not.) I stopped the birth control right away and things returned to normal in a few months. (Note: I am a VERY happy person. My job title is Happiness Expert.)

Back to my story, I went for tests, ultrasounds, was prescribed Fibristol and Tranexamic Acid (to be taken when the periods were extremely heavy.) I was on Fibristol for three months (as normal) but did not stop bleeding at all. I get these large Poise pads from my mom, and I had soaked through one of those and into my pants in a half an hour (filled brim to brim). I changed, cleaned up, etc, and soaked through again in another half hour. I took the T. Acid and the bleeding slowed, but did not stop. This was the only time I took this medication. I felt very nauseous and shaky and awful after taking it.

The ultrasound results showed I had a polyp and enlarged endometrium. My gyn thought the polyp was causing the bleeding.

I went to go see her sometime in late February, early March. I am unsure of the exact date. I was her last patient for the day. I went in, and she read me the ultrasound results, then asked me to go into the stirrups. I stripped from the waist down, and saddled in.

She exclaimed, "Your cervix is open!!!!" She continued to go on about the cervix being open, and how rare it was to have a patient with an open cervix. She then put the clamp in to keep it open, and with no warning whatsoever, proceeded to do a D&C. I was in so much pain. I screamed, I tried to move from her, and she told me to be still. I tried, but it was so painful that I jerked again. I thought I was going to pass out. I remember the room spinning and I felt like I was not in my body anymore, but I could feel her going at me, and I remember the sound of my screams echoing off the walls. I was finally able to ask her to stop, and she did as soon as I said it. It was too late though. Damage was done. In any case, she got some of the scrapings in a jar and sent them for biopsy.

She would not allow me to get off the table after for about ten minutes. I tried. I was so pale and sweaty and shaky and weak. When I was able to stand, my left leg really hurt. I got my pants on, walked out of the office, to where my boyfriend was waiting. He said I looked like a deer in the headlights, I was so frightened. I got all the way home, was walking up the steps, and then I couldn't walk on my leg and collapsed onto the ground. I had to take a week off work after because I could not walk on my left leg.

So now that I have my story out, is this a normal thing? No warning, no anesthetic, no nothing?

My friends think I should sue my doctor for this. I do not know what to do. Should I contact a lawyer?

Anyways, I started bleeding again on March 28th, 2016, and have been bleeding since. Because she is my gyn, I have an appointment with her tomorrow, but I am terrified she is going to do it again. I am going to tell her as soon as I go in, that under no circumstances is she to do any procedure without talking to me first, but I still need some advice.

Thank you so much for reading through this. I realize now it is very lengthy, but your patience with me today was remarkable and I cannot thank you enough. I hope you do decide to respond!

I would be very careful about having a D&C and I would only take one if I were you as a last resort.  Has your doctor explained the risk of adhesions and scarring which could possibly effect future pregnancies?  I would want to avoid one whenever possible.  Have you been offered cyotec at all?