Discharge and Bleeding From My Belly Button

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

For quite a few months now I have been experiencing discharge and burning coming from my navel and it smells really bad, it's usually like a brownish whitesh color. I had hoped that this would go away, I've tried salt water and drying it after showers but still nothing.Also when i clean it off a rash occurs around the area.
Today was very scary it started bleeding (not a lot but still) and its burning, also last week i experienced really, really sharp lower back pains, to the point where it hurt to breathe and walk.I dont know if this relates to subject. I dont know what to do. Is there anything i can buy over the counter? Due to the fact that I do not have health insurance.
Here's a link to what it could be.  Please see a dr. and get on antibiotics.

http://drdrew.com/Office/article.asp?id=1260
i've had the same problem for years
usually pouring a bit of rubbing alcohol in my navel helps for me
the same thing is happening to me now and the doctor i went to did not know the cause. so im not sure what to do about this if some one knows if there is a doctor who can help please post his name. thanks elaine
I am also having this. Except I started out with bleeding. And a chunk of somthing soft and mushy came out with the blood. I went to the doctors and I have a blood bliser with an abrasion. But I have also been having direa. So I am going to the dcotors tomorrow. Hoping it has no connection.

It's possible you have the same. If so you need some creme prescribed from a doctor. Also clean it out with half water and half paroxyde until and during.

Hope this helps you.

It's scary. I know.

You'll be in my prayers. Keep me in your please.
My mother has been bleeding since thanklsgiving from her belly botton. the doctors just said she scrapped it in her sleep. well after a couple of days of this bleeding continuing. we know there is something else wrong. now she is in extreme pain. they've done blood work and an ultrasound and still can't figure out what's wrong. if anyone has any ideas to what might be wrond please email me at. derideo_te10***@****

Am having the sam problem now, bleeding bellybutton, severe back pain and bloatedness. What was the outcome for anyone else. Have seen my doctor three times, been on three couses of antibiotics and ointment but no joy. Thanks.
i think i bleed from the belly botton ,its like pinkish color and it feel like it always sweaty and smelly im kinda scared to go to the doctor . im 24 and its been going on for aleast 3 yrs and o i kinda get a rash on the belly botton also so anyone with advice i know go see the doctor but other then???? i hope i make sense cause imkinda in a hurry
last night my bellybutton was oozing a little blood and a clean non sented liquid. Im freaking out. please help
I have had the same pains in my belly button with my belly button bleeding.  I have gone to the doctors with CAT scan and nothing came up so it wasn't apendicitis.  After I've been to the doctor several times and after trying antibiotics and cremes nothing seemed to work.  I have researched online through the years that I have had this problem and I read that it can be a fungus developing in the belly button similar to athletes foot.  This causes your belly button to dry out and crack.  Then the bleeding comes with the horrible smell that follows with the discharge and blood.  I went to the store and bought some athletes foot creme and spray and both seem to work.  I recently had a flair up and I just took a shower and sprayed it really quick on my way out for work and what ya know the bleeding stopped and it has been several days without any problems.  I would say to do this weekly so you don't have any fungus get the chance to develope.  Fungus grows in dark and moist areas and after thinking about it only makes sense.  You don't have to take my word for it but seriously I read about this online and didn't do it right away.  I wanted to make sure that this would be ok and now i'm positive about the results I have.
I have had the rash, wetness, discharge and odor in the navel too.  What I have always done was keep it clean and dry by cleaning it out in the shower with soap and water and drying it out really well with q-tips. After that I use cotton pieces or 3-4 more q-tips and saturate them as best I can with stick deodorant and apply it inside the navel. This keeps it dry, clean, and smelling fresh. Lately I have been bleeding inside the navel where it attaches to my body, nowhere else, and this symptom is new-past few months. What I have been doing is using the cotton pieces with deodorant on them to soak it up just leave them in till my shower the next day and then the same routine of showering, drying and deodorizing it-only leaving the pieces in so that the blood is absorbed. I am going to the doctor b/c of the blood though. Just thought this might be helpful for others.
A while back I thought I just had moisture or sweat in my belly button and when I wiped it out it was blood and a mucousy substance and smelled horrible. I also have been having stomach and back pains for over a year but the docs cannot find a reason for it and I just got tired of looking like a hypocondriac so I just stopped saying anything about it. I hurt every day and it is getting worse but I don't know what to do about it. I even get nasuea and have random vomiting. Bowel movements have increased from maybe 2 a week to 2 to 3 a day. I often wonder of it could have anything to do with my female menstraul periods as at the age of 39 they just stopped and I have not had one since and I am 50 now. I did not have hot flashes or any of the usual things for menapause and the gyn doc did a blood test and told me I was not going through menapause but had no explanation for why my periods just stopped abruptly. My mother is 70 and still has hot flashes and occasional spotting. If anyone has an answer for me I would appreciate it as I am tired of always being sick and really would like to feel good and enjoy life once again as I can hardly remember what that is like.
Ask your doctor to use a swab to test the belly button for a yeast infection. I have a friend whose daughter has to use a G-tube to eat a special formula because of a deadly protein allergy, and the tube site (similar to a belly button in a lot of ways) gets yeast infections all the time. The skin gets irritated, burns, cracks, and bleeds. It also puts out discharge if they don't catch the infection in time. The belly button can be a very wet environment which is very favorable for the growth of the yeast bacteria. I don't know if this is what's happening with you, but ask them to test for it and see, it can't hurt and it might be very simple to treat. Good luck.
i had a little discharge of blood from my belly button but it does not smell.  is it a serious thing.
Okay, I scoured the internet while I FREAKED out that I must have knicked the inside of my belly button about 10 days ago when I was too aggressively cleaning it out.  Well, a few days after the cleaning, I woke up to DRIED blood outside of my belly button. I freaked out, saw, far in (bareeeely) that it looked like there was a bump in there that was red and bleeding.  Next day, yellow/white/light greenish PUSS showed up! I freaked.  I reading all of these blogs, cleaned it with alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, added neosporin to it...would check it in 4 hour shifts..still, no BETTER! So, I went to Rite Aid and bought some Iodine (it was 10%), dropped some drops in there, then soaked the remainder up with Qtips and cotton balls and guess what! I'm FIXED! It's healed and is no longer red.  It's no longer oozing anything and appears NORMAL! I hope this helps somebody!
I have this same problem that most of you have right now. I had a kiloid on my belly button and had it removed. This is how it all started. I have been hospitalized because of this and the discharge is creamy looking with an odor. I went back to my Dr. who did this procedure on me after all the others falied to solve the problem. The problem was an bacterial infection that came from me scraping the incession after it healed. My doctor gave me some steriod injections in my navel and antibotics. Yes this solved the problem for me. His name is Dr. Rustad and he is located in White Bear Lake. The name is Advance Skin Care. Hope this helps you guys/
Mine started about 3 years ago and it comes back every couple of months now. I have tried everything...neosporin, alcohol, peroxide, keeping it clean and dry. None of this lasts because the occurance doesnt have to do with cleanliness. I have discussed this with 2 R.N.s that gave me the most moronic reasons for what was happening, so I started resurching on my own. Through years of blog reading and medical journal reading I have narrowed it down to this...either it is a cyst(or tumor) at the core of my linea alba attched to my umbilici or it is an ulceration in my upper G.I. tract. I believe it may be the later because I have noticed a flare up after eating hot/rich/ acidic foods. Or being upset for long periods of time. So, time to get my stomach scoped.
Do you have an outtie? Most times outties ( If messed with too much) coul open become infected and even fall off..
My Mom had the same issues. Bleeding an terrible odor from her belly button.Since she was a little overreative my sister and I kind of dismissed it...She needed to have a c-125 done..Please, Please, Please Ladies find out why..It can be, not saying yours is,,very serious,,  
hi. a while ago when i removed my shirt i saw blood on it and i was so sure it came fro my belly button. when i cleaned it it still has blood inside.. i was so scared considering me being obese.. can anyone help me plsss.. tnx
I have had a funky smell for at least the last 5 years, followed by small amounts of blood and discharge over the last year. The bleeding has now increased to large amounts of dark red blood and severe pain and sweeling around the naval area itself. Some simple antibiotics have slowed the redness and infection on the surface but it is still sensitive to touch. Contrary to what you read on the internet it IS NOT a hernia, as hernias do NOT bleed. I was diagnosed with a urachal syst and am going in today for a CT Scan to locate the cyst and its size. There are 2 different types of surgery that results in different lengths of stay in the hospistal post-operation. My suggestion is to go with the two stage removal. I'm being told it's a much easier option with less side effects.  If your belly button is bleeding, get to a general surgeon, DO NOT go to your family practitioner, they know nothing!! Also it is VERY RARE but some urachal cysts can be carcinomic or cancerous as we know it. Get it taken care of immediately.
okay so this morning I woke up and I had some blood around my belly button and this has happened before and when it happened before I had went to the E.R and they burned the inside to stop the bleeding and this morning it was there again.. I have no pain,No burning nothing just bleeding and it smells Horrible.... I am obese PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Ugh! This has been going on for me for maybe a year? I dont rememeber having pain, but the discusting bleeding, wetness and smell. Im wanting to say it occurs when i eat junk food. Im on a pretty strict diet, and i stopped having it after i started working with a personal trainer, and eating healthy, but i have been cheating some, and its acting up again. IM ONLY 16 TOO!! I think im too young to have something like this, and it started after i turned 15. Anyone have ANYthing?
Two yrs ago I had a Complete hysterectomy due to bleeding that could not be stopped and pain during sex. After bleeding for 2 yrs with not end in sight I had the hysterectomy done. I still have the pain, while it not as bad it's still there. About 6 mo ago I started bleeding from my rectum, I have hymroids now also. The bleeding is not due to the hymroids. On my daughters 16th bday i started bleeding from my belly button. When I called the doctor they acted like it was not a big deal. Yesterday I went and had a colenoscolpy? done. While they was doing it they hit the spots that cause me pain, this morn when I woke up I was bleeding from my belly button again. They say to call back when if it starts gushing. ????
I don't understand im 30 yrs old.
i have the same problem as all of you lot, smelly discharge and bleeding i try to clean it all the time but it only seems to irritate it and make it worse. i eventually plucked up the courage to go to the docs and he said to use the syringe he provided to clean with fresh warm water NO SOAP, then to dry use a hairdryer and should then clear up in a few days or so but if not i will have to go back for some anti-biotics what i would really like to know if any one has found out the cause of it, what started it? how can i prevent it from happening again?
cheers people and thank you
I am having the same problem recently,. i have been through a total of 3 surgeries since oct 14,2009, and i have had a colostomy bag placed on me for the last 9 months and now i have a surgical wound between the vagina and rectum from this last attempt to repair my rectalvaginal fistula... and i told my nurse that came to my house daily about the recent severe pain in what i thought was my incision scar from 1cm below my belly button down to the bottom of my stomack, my nurse said its nothing, but later that night i put my son to bed and roll over onto my side and i felt wetness coming down my side... i quickly realized the bloody, clearish/yellowish ***** liquid was coming out of my bellybutton and the pain got more severe and felt bloated, crampy, burning, heavy and just felt like i was overly full from eatn which by the way i hadnt eatn so that wasnt the case, i ran to E.R cuz i was horrified and worried, that dr. didnt know why, so i askd my doctor when i went to the wound center and again he knew nothing. so im still in the dark and dont know why it bled or had discoloration, but it hasnt bled since i was gonna clean it again but im scared that might make it worse and bleed again..... it still hurts but not as bad.
Belly button smell and even bleeding can be a symptom of a systemic yeast infection, called Candidiasis. Cutting out junk food, esp sugars, adding probiotics [supplements, not just yogurt], drinking lots of water helps. There's a ton of information on the web about Candidiasis; I encourage everyone to do some reading and see if the info fits. Most doctors don't know about and/or don't believe in the problem of systemic yeast. Take care of yourself......
Urachal cyst!  My surgeon just diagnosed it.  I get an ultrasound tomorrow then see a Urologist so they can decide on the surgery.  This is VERY RARE in adults so many doctors don't even consider it.  Please see:  http:www.****.com  You wilol have to sign on (free) and then see the article.  Don't play around with this it is serious.  It first presents with umbilicus pain, then bleeding and/or nasty discharge and odor from the belly button (umbilicus.)

PyrateLady
I'm Having the problem that most of you are having i just started having that today when i got back from school. there was a blood all over my belly and its smells really bad i don't know why its being like that. i never had that before i just started taking birth control for the first time 3 weeks ago, and i haven't had my period for 6 month and went to 3 differents doctors and they all said that im Not Pregnant. So they put me on birth control they said it might help my period to comes. I've been taking for the passed 3 weeks and now my belly bleeds. i don't know if that have anything to do with the bleeding. and i also been having a sharp pain on my tummy:( so please if someone know anything please let me know. or u can e-mail me ***@****
I have had the same issues on and off most of my life. All I do is use a q-tip loaded up with alcohol and clean out the belly button really good. Usually I only have to do it a couple of days ( morning and afternoon after shower).... I'll be honest... It burns like hell..... But it totally works!!!
What's a c-125?
i have the same problem and i had a mecil scan done (its like an MRI) to look something that may have been wrong and the condition i got was that is was much like dry skin but inside my belly button.
I am a Hispanic 42 yr old Woman who just started noticing that my belly button area is always hurting me nowadays. I am a bit overweight and have always cleaned my belly button area with Q-tips just as I clean my ears out everyday I shower. I have been experiencing sharp shooting pains in my stomach and on my sides. I too have noticed a awful smell after I usually cleaned. Never have I ever experienced the blood or oozing of some discharge. I just have noticed a smell and just yesterday after I showered I noticed some spotting of blood on my Q-tip and I freaked out! along with this sharp pains, I experience alot of weakness and I feel Lethargic alot of times. I think the most unbearable things I experience is the Sharp shooting pains going thru my body and My Belly feels tight at times.

I notice when I put my hand or cover my belly button with something warm that it makes me feel better. I just also noticed that since November 30, 2010 was the last time I experienced a period....I have never ever missed any periods in all my Life! So, just recently on February 20th, 2011 I started my period again....and it was heavier than ever. I have been going thru Menopause since 2009. Some may say it's my Hormones and my age that is making me experience so many changes in Life. The most scary part of this all is the Charlie horse pains that my body goes through and it makes me hurt so bad that during the sharp charlie horse pains on my sides or my upper body torso that I can't breathe during this attacks. I have to gasp for air and breath very slowly while this is going on and until it all goes away.

I found out through old Mexican Wives tales that when you have had a tubal litigation that sometimes the Dr's may leave your incision slightly opened or it was not stitched all the way closed that it can cause some discomfort throughout your years and cause air to enter your body and cause you to look like your very bloated and or Pregnant! and in my case I look preggo even when I am not. So, although I am overweight looking I'm not a junk eater nor do I over eat at all...matter a fact I am totally the opposite I am a very healthy eater and still I look as if I sit around eating chips, candy and all kinds of junk food all day!

So, had'nt gone to the actual dr just yet...don't think American Doctors even know about what this old wives tale could be...But, when I went to this lady who did (Ventosas) on me a practice just like the Chinese or Japanese whom use glass like jars to take out air out of your body, well, they place it on your back and light some fire inside the glass and you will see air being sucked out your skin through your back and or your stomach and it looks like a booby filling the jar inside...I kid you not that it started working and my Stomach within a week or so I noticed the difference. It started going down big time, almost like deflating a tire or a Balloon....Weird but, true!  She's a Iridologist/Herbalist and only uses herbal anything to help treat you.

I'm in Dallas and she's way out in the Ft. Worth, Texas area so gas and the treatments can be costly...Well, her treatments are'nt all that expensive just $20-$25 dollars a visit plus any herbal pills or teas she may recommend....I know it's way cheaper than going to the Dr. But I'm not working right now so until I can afford it I will go again...This really works! and she gives you a little body massage and pops your neck and gives you a tea to drink a sugarless drink and its very dark green looking and smells like spearmint (Chloraphyll) whatever they use to flavor gum... at the end of your treatment...and it leaves you feeling woozy but that's only because I had never had a Ventosa done and or body massage like the one she gave me...I felt so Energetic and stress free way afterwards.

This is recommended for anyone who who like to give this a try!!!! I have her name and number...My Name is: Anna Maria and if any of you would like her info e-mail me at: ***@**** in the title: Ventosa.....she speaks Spanish Only...But, I have seen some India/Indonesian people even go to her...she must be good if they are even coming to her!

Much Luck to all of you and God Bless all your efforts! <3,

Anna Maria
Dallas, Texas
did you have a c section
Im 21 years old and I discovered the discharge about a week ago. I am overweight so I asked my mom about it and she said its from our weight. She also is overweight and experienced the same thing. The one post  about candiasis or w.e it is called makes sense.
C-125 is a test for cancer... shows somehow or another.. I used to get them when I could not have pap tests...
I am very fit and eat right and found caked blood in my BB and was shocked, but I took it out, then a little blood came out and it smelled worse than horrible, it reeked, it stenched worse than all my sweaty socks ever combined, so I put a natural antibiotic there: Honey and it seems to work, but it still smell like hell (at least). I know many mentioned neosporine, 10% idodine and Athletes foot creme and spray which all sounds good, but I like natural options.
there's burts bees natural foot powder....
I read a lot of women's comments, but my husband is having the issue. Ever so often, it comes and goes, his belly button will bleed. Not a lot a small amount n it is thick. Kinda like a bloody mucus. He says their is pain from his belly button to his penis. We don't have insurance so he is dealing but I would like to know if it could be a hernia or just an infection as some talk.
hi a week ago i noticed my belly button start to smell and it was really bad, then i found alot of blood coming out and mucus or pus coming out to.. over the week the pain moved from belly button to just above my belly button the to the left of the belly button. i am worried hoping its not serious but i dont want to leave it til to late because i have a young son and if it is serious then want to get it fixed looked at as soon as possible but scared. i did have a pain in my upper back area a couple of weeks ago and comes back now again i dont know if that is related, just wondering.
Please, all of you guys look into adenomyosis.  Tell your doctors you need MRIs, not ultrasounds.
A CA-125 is a protein marker in the blood that is also used as a prognostic tool for following cancer cell growth for ovarian cancer.  It is also used to help determine if a woman might have ovarian cancer although it is not always accurate.
What I recommend for those with this problem, is to do water fast with powdered cayenne and turmeric to help cleanse your system of built up toxins and food debris that have become stuck in the digestive track.. Also, you may want to consider removing red meat from the diet completely as it does not pass through the digestive system well at all. With the system being clean and no longer toxic the bellybutton will not bleed or have these issues.
hav u got solution ??
i am also suffered this problem please reply??
I recently had this same issues.  I looked all over the internet for a solution.  Nothing....

Went to family physcian, ER, everyone said the same thing...nothing is wrong. It was unexplainable.  

I was really frustrated...went to Redi Med with my husband for a seperate issue he was having...Out of the blue I decided to ask the lady Dr. there...she stated that its something serious, not to ignore it, and to make an appt with a General Surgeon.  

Thats exactly what I did.  I went into a Gen Surgeon...he scheduled me for surgery the next day....the skin behind my belly button has become detached somehow and was causing internal bleeding...they went in, made a small 3 inch incision and took care of the issue.  The other cause of my problem was the fact that I had scar tissue that was literally pushing itself out of my body....through my belly button.

Basically, if you are having a serious problem, make the General Surgeon appt.  My pain has since stopped and no more discharge or foul smelling anything.  I feel better too!

Hope this helps!  
I've read what u posted and I'm going 2 ask my doctor tomorrow I thought this was only happening 2 me.Last year when I ask my old doctor she told me it was a bacteria but now I'm going 2 look into it more.
You are right! I am from Melbourne and the GPs had no idea what to do when I explained to them the issue. When I flew back to India to meet my parents, I decided to show it to a specialist doctor. He told me that a portion of my skin has extra growth on my belly button.
I can see it through my belly button. When I work out in the gym or have a bit of extra food/water, there is immediate discharge and blood. e.g. When I have ice cream on top of food, I can see the discharge more of a white substance.
I have had this for 2.5 years now.

Solution: It needs to be operated. I have used solutions, medicines, including homeopathic. Nothing works. Until you get operated, cleaning up with dettol is very important.
Iodine is natural and anti-fungal options are derived from nature and are life saving products; there is nothing wrong with using them.
This started for me 1 1/2 yrs ago. Finally saw a Urolgist who said it was due to a leftover umbilicol cord problem. I am 62 yrs. old! So 3 months ago I finally got in and he went in and said he removed a remnant. 2 Weeks later had the staples removed and the incision opened up so for the past 2 mnths I have been dealing with the wound clinic and waiting for this to heal over. In the meantime the bleading and discharge has started up again after I finished with the 2 wks of antibiotics. So now I am back to square 1. Rather than ever have another operation I am dealing with this on my own. It is a pain in the ..... BB but maybe one day someone will find out why this is. The doctors have no clue!!!!
hello I have been having this for a month now I have been to the doctor and they just give me anti-fungal and antibiotics and it worked. then 2 weeks after that it came back. then the doctor said to go to a surgen but I don't want to be cut open so im trying to fined out whats going on. it started 2 1/2 weeks after having my wisdom teeth pulled. I have polycystic ovaries, so I don't have my period only 2-3 times a yr since I was 16yrs but I haven't had one in over a yr. so Im getting a little worried about that. and I told the doctor that when I seen him and he said that's normal polycystic. but im going to find me a ob doctor. I was eating a lot of food out but I have been on a strick diet for almost 3 months now. I have never heard of anything like this before. I am looking in to this so if anyone would like to help plz send me an email with symptoms, how often, how, long, past surgerys, periods (so I can compare if you don't want to that's fine) I just realy want to know whats going on with this my email is ***@**** thank you I will post if I fined anything
Alas I am as puzzled as you. I have been for surgery but it did not help, am still bleeding from my belly button so do NOT get cut open until you find a doctor that knows what it is.
I started using Advair, which is an inhaler for Asthma, 2 months before these symptoms started so I wonder if it is that. I do need the Advair so cannot stop using it.
Am just having to live with this bleeding condition, use bandaids and vaseline to help. Agonize over what to do but until I discover something on the Internet I will not get cut open again!
I have had this same problem for many years... I get a blood/yellow drainage also pain. the dr prescribed a crean called ketoconazole for yeast infection.  Well after I use the whole bottle it vomes back a cpl weeks or so later. Never use peroxide as it kills good cells also. I ja e been on anti biotics and the cream nothing works it has discharge smells and hurts also scabs if I can dont clean it. I am very sick of having this happen I have done everythibv yhe dr told me even use a swimmer ear drop b4 shower or swimming.nothing works
hello its is what I fond, I believe its a bacterial infection that's why the anti-fungal and antibiotics and the stuff for yeast infections "works" because it "kills" it but as soon as we stop using it, it come right back. you should look up "candida yeast" it "hides" from meds that's why it doesn't die. I'm not saying that I think that's what this is but I have been following the candida yeast diet and taking a good digestive enzyme complex (I brake it open and take it before I eat) and I take live cultures (I will make a lest at the end) and a real good dietary supplement.

I found out about the candida yeast and how it (and other stuff) can live in the body, and why some bodies cant kill it. there is a bacterial imbalance in these bodies. that's why I started taking the live cultures, so I could get good bacteria, that kills the bad bacteria naturally. I take digestive enzyme complex to help the good bacteria thrive.

Ok so, why is this happening? from what I fond is that the anti-fungal and antibiotics and the stuff for yeast infections (and other things) kills all the bacteria good and bad. There are plenty of bad bacteria in are every day life but a lot of are food is missing the good bacteria (even the food that should have lots of it like yogurt). And from what I fond it does take 2-6 months to get completely balance again. I have been doing this for about 1 month and I order my stuff so it came in late and I ran out for a week and it didn't come back no pain but I'm not taking any chances I'm back on and staying on for 6 months. Now I do take 2x's the normal amounts, so after the 6 months I will starting the normal amount.

I'm not a doctor. But this is what is helping me. I first went to the doctor and it helped but when it came back it was way worse than the first time. so I started looking, and this is what I found and I hope it helps as it is helping me. and I just want to let you know its not some thing you did things
like this happen, so keep strong.

ok so here is my list this is what I use.
    Intestiflora (live cultures) 2x's a day,
    digestive enzyme complex  before each meal(break open)
    double x (daily vitamins) 2x's a day w/ meal
and I follow the www.NaturalCuresStore.com candida yeast cleanse diet (just the diet) and you can find more info on there to (I always look for additional info to back up what I find, never just go by what one person said) and I do use nutrilite supplements the are all organic and have the highest amounts of probiotic bacteria and in different strains that I could find and my mom sale it so. but fill free to use what ever you fill comfortable using

As you can follow from my past comments I have been confused as to what this bleeding from the belly button is BUT I now know. It is without a doubt a Urachal Cyst. Developed from your umbilical cord. Having had one surgery already I now will need a second one to completely remove my belly button. This is if I opt to do this or live with the periodic bleeding, at least I do not have anymore smell, which I am assuming the 1st operation/procedure cured. Cosmetically it would be hard to decide to remove my belly button but because I am older it probably really does not matter in my case. Of course please realize that this is not always the case that you have to remove it. It is only in my case because the bleeding did not cease.

It has been 5 months since my operation and a follow up with my Urologist Surgeon a couple days ago, who was quite surprised that it was still bleeding, told me of the BB removal option. A General Surgeon can also do this operation but does it differently as per one of these comments here but it is ultimately the same thing.

I did have a couple of swabs done to test for Candida or yeast infections and both were negative.

Please feel free to send me any questions as am not sure I covered all points. Also I do not presume to know it all but I can only go on my experience.