Endometrial biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Endometrial biopsy

I'm going to have endometrial biopsy because of irregular spotting. The doc said it'll be uncomfortable because I've never given birth. Anyone in my situation and had endometrial biopsy? Was it unbearably painful like the WORST period cramp?  I'm advised to take 4x200mg motrin. Thanks
Hello and welcome.  I have never given birth and had an endometrial biopsy about a month or so ago and it really was not that bad.  I had taken 3 200mg Advils before the biopsy, that is actually my standard dosage.  It was uncomfortable but bearable.  My doctor told me when the "big cramp" was coming and when it did I just tried to relax and breathe deeply.  That seemed to help.  Taking the pain medication before hand definitely helped.  Good luck.  Let us know how things go.
My (former) doctor FORGOT to mention the pre-medication idea. I think I had a headache or something and I'd taken some ibuprophen (this was about 12 yrs. ago, before Motrin was the recommended pain med) on my own, and I, too, take about 3 at a time. I was very grateful that I'd taken it! Would have liked to have heard from my doctor's office about this, though, so it is good to know that your doctor's office is on top of things. And, I would agree that it was bearable...in my case not horrible. I had given birth about 8 years prior to the procedure...Let us know how it goes. Mary
Thank you both for sharing your experiences!  If you both say it's bearable, then it should be for me, too :)  How long did it take for you to recover from the pains/discomfort?  I'll need to go to a meeting about 2 hours after that :(
I had an endometrial biopsy several weeks ago and it was bearable, just take some pain medication.  It was a relatively quick procedure
Yes - very quick.  It's not that bad - and the crampy feeling was essentially gone before I got out of the parking lot leaving.  I left and drove to O'Hare for a three hour flight - no problems at all.  
Make sure you take the meds before. They didn't tell me to take anything before, I cramped for awhile afterwards. The procedure wasn't bad itself. One big cramp. It was afterwards that I cramped alot.
I have to say, take the meds - mine really hurt.  I did it while I was in the office so I wouldn't have to come back and she never said anything about any discomfort.  I was on the ceiling and yelling - they must have wondered what the heck was going on in the waiting room.  She told me that most people don't react that way.  I did cramp for about 2 days after, but nothing unbearable then.
W.
I had an endometrial biopsy before work one day - I think, as an afterthought and extra precaution to my doc. I have never had children, but started having contractions as he was doing the biopsy.  He had a name for them (something akin to labor contractions). Anyway, I had taken no pre medication. My blood pressure dropped and I almost passed out, although I was deep breathing. They had to give me juice and let me hang around awhile after. It was a pretty short procedure, though, and I went to work in only mild discomfort.
Wow, sounds like the experiences are really of all kinds!  Probably it depends a lot on the skill of the doc?  I'm a little worried about the aftermath.  I'll have meetings and other things the same day and the following day, whole day, I really hope the pain/discomfort won't bother me.  Will there be spotting afterwards?
My doc was good, I think, but I still had the contractions while in the office. He said there might be spotting, but I had none. I went to work afterwards, than to a funeral, then to a after funeral reception, then went and worked out. I was in mild discomfort, but it didn't hinder anything at all......
Hi cip, thank you so much. Another thing just occurred to me: I have endometriosis, I wonder if the biopsy procedure could bring the endometriosis tissues somewhere where they are not supposed to be, thus worsen the condition. Ok I understand it will be within the cervix...  just a little curious ;) Also, will that area where the biopsy is done--will that area of the uterine wall be thinner thank elsewhere ever after? Could that affect future pregnancy?  Sorry if I appear to be over worried...
It makes sense to wonder and worry about procedures that are new to us! My understanding is that they only take a very ,very small sample to biopsy. It shoud not effect any future procedure or a pregnancy.....
Hi cip, thanks. I agree with you. However I'm beginning to hesitate whether to do it or not. The reason the doc suggested it was my spotting, but I think it's most likely because of endometriosis (maybe the fibroid, too--I have a small one).  As far as I've read, endometrial biopsy is for detecting cancer; anything else it's for?
I had mine to be extra sure of ruling out cancer. I also have fibroids, but it had nothing to do with that. I am not sure whether or not it is also used to rule out or measure endometriosis somehow.As far as I know the main reason it is done is to rule out cancer cells, but there may be uses that I'm not aware of.
Thanks, cip. Hope everything is ok with you now. It's so wonderful to meet you and others in this forum.  To feel one is not alone is one of the best medicines.  Have a great weekend!
Hi I've given birth to 4 children.  I'm 53 and been on prempro for one year and had break through bleeding for a month so my OBGYN wanted to do an endometrial biopsy.  She told me I'd feel slight cramping and they gave me 600mg ibuprofen.  Ok if everyone says it wasn't unbearable then there must be something wrong with me because it was the most painful thing I've gone through w/o gas, or some major pain killer.  I have always handled pain well but this was so painful when the OBGYN said it would be 15 seconds more I told her she better hurry bcos I couldn't take anymore. They also said I would stop cramping immediately and that I'd stop bleeding within an hour.  NOT! I bled for 3 days..(spotting) and cramped into the night. Like back labor.
Either something is wrong with me or perhaps my OBGYN isnt as experienced as others or shes sadistic.  I would never recommend having this done without some great perscription pain killers first.

Please pay attention to the dates on these threads.  This forum is getting overrun with outdated posts.  This one is over two years old and I don't even know if most of these posters are still around.  Instead of dredging these old ones up, please start a new one IF it is relevant to ovarian cancer.  If not, please post on the ovarian cyst forum or another more appropriate forum like women's health in this case.
My gynecologist attempted the biopsy about a month ago and it was very painful!  I did not take anything for pain prior to the procedure and my drs. office didn't advise me too but did inform me that it could be "uncomfortable" and forewarned me about cramping.  I have had children and the closest I can remember from my experience delivering children that would compare would be that I had to have a DNC right after one delivery due to previous complications and it, too was very painful.  If you have a low threshold for pain you may consider what others have advised and pre-medicate yourself.  Unfortunately the procedure was unsuccessful and the dr. advised a hysteroscopy and DNC that after a second opinion I decided against.  My symptoms did not suggest a problem that would call for this but I am concerned now that I have taken the advice of the other practitioner and have set an appointment to see my dr. of record.  Good luck to you.
Hope it may help me get over what I think is a mild case of PTSD.

• Don’t do this without exploring in detail with your doctor:
o Has he/she offered you every possible drug that might help make this procedure easier on you?  If you are reading this blog because your procedure is scheduled for the future, you have absolutely no idea where on the pain spectrum you might land.  Some women experience it the way I did the first time, others the second.  There is no downside to pre-medicating that I can think of, and a lot of upside.  
o Why??  “Given, Dr. _____ what you know at this exact moment as you prepare to grip my cervix in your needle nosed pliers and insert a metal drinking straw into my uterus, what exactly do you hope to learn?”  If you aren’t positively gripped by the answer, kick your doctor out of the room and give yourself 5 minutes to think.  
• 48 years old, mother of three, vaginal births with epidurals, perfect health, endurance athlete.
• Not menopausal according to hormone tests.
• 2004 ablation to remove endometrial lining for heavy periods (if you are thinking about doing this -- do it!  Biggest non-event ever.)
• No periods at all for several years, then light periods about every three months for a couple of years.
• September 13, 2008 -- first Big Bad Clotty Horrible Awful Excruciating Period (BBCHAEP).  Blew it off.  
• Another BBCHAEP in January 2009 -- blew it off.  
• Another BBCHAEP in April -- blew it off.
• Early May, in for annual and told the physicians assistant about weird periods.  She did  the endometrial biopsy on the spot.  No walk in the park, but not nighmarish. Scheduled a follow up sonogram for today.  
• Two days after the biopsy, get a call that the sample wasn't big enough to test so when I came in for the sonogram, they would have another go at it.  I wasn’t surprised since I am actually not supposed to have an endometrial lining anymore.
• Started light bleeding two days ago.
• Appeared this morning and had the sonogram, which revealed 4 fibroids grown since ’04. Dr. as opposed to PA to perform  biopsy.
• Given no drugs, nor was it suggested that I take something before going in.  I have vials of Percocet and Xanax set aside for just such an occasion.  Considered taking something before the appt. because I knew based upon my prior biopsy it is stressful to lie there while someone digs around your uterus, but then I would not have been able to drive which would have required me to ask for help which I don’t do.  
• My doctor walked in and I asked “now why, exactly, are we doing this again?”  I was a trial lawyer for many years and both of my brothers are doctors, and I am just now asking this question???
• Looking for pre-cancerous cells, to which I responded “feel free to just take my uterus out – I have no further use for it.”  She laughed and said that was certainly something we should talk about because of the fibroids.
• 8 hours later, it is now clear that at that moment, I had all of the information needed to make a decision on a hysterectomy:
o Oct. ’08 MRI --bulging disc in my lower spine – likely from running too many miles.  Fibroids explain the random bouts of horrible back pain over the last several years so severe I have trouble getting out of bed, then “poof” – pain gone.  Pain appeared unrelated to anything external as ablation stopped my periods.  
o My gynecologist knew nothing about the back pain/MRI.
• Because I am a compliant woman who wants everyone to like me, and an independent woman who would vastly prefer experiencing a little “discomfort”, a “pinch”, some “pressure”, to disappointing someone, I meekly spread my legs.
• There are no words.  The pain was beyond the beyond.  I almost passed out but they roused me with smelling salts to finish.  I should not have been allowed to leave the office but all I could think of was “I have to get out of here.”  Put my head down in my car in the parking lot and passed out for some indeterminate period of time.   Made my way home on the back roads, pulling over several times.
• No post procedure cramping and very little bleeding.  But emotionally I feel raw – very quiet and find myself staring into space a lot.  
• I can’t say that I much care what the test shows – it wasn’t worth it.  I know I should feel differently, but I don’t.  There are places my brain is not meant to go, and that level of pain is one of them.  I hate knowing that I can hurt that much.  It makes me feel scared that I might ever be in that much pain again.  And I can’t.  I seriously can’t.  

I feel your pain, dear.  Literally.

The endometrial biopsy I had July 3, 2009, was the single most painful experience I have EVER had to go through.

The doc's office told me to take the meds the night before which would dilate my cervix and help them get into the uterus, but they failed to tell me it would cause the most horrible cramping of my life.

By the time I got to my appt at 1:30 the following afternoon, I had already been in pain for 12 hours, and was exhausted from pain and no sleep.

The doc injected lidocaine but did not give it any time to start working.

You're right.  There are no words.  She kept telling me to breathe and all I could do was gasp and sob during the procedure.

The lidocaine kicked in about 30 seconds *after* she left the room.

Once I got ready to do my endometrial ablation a month later, I made sure they were going to knock me good and unconcious beforehand.

I've told all my friends and relatives how miserable to biopsy was and what they should look out for.  

I know what you mean about PTSD.  I feel it, too.
I had this biopsy done yesterday...  Let's just say I had know idea how bad this would hurt!!  A co-worker of mine tried to prepare me on how painful it is, but I figured everybody has a different pain tolerance...and it wouldn't be too bad...  I was wrong.  This truly was the worst pain I had felt in my life.  I have not had any kids and my doctor told me that it is easier to do the procedure if you are on your period because your cervix is already open a little.  Well, I am on mine, I also took 800mg of Advil...still the worst pain ever!  The pain shot down into my rear end and up through my back...and of course she didn't get enough fluid the first time...so, we had to do round two.  Luckily my husband was there to hold my hand for the second round.  I too felt like I was going to faint or throw up...I got a cool towel on my head and some juice as well.  Even today (a day later) my ovaries feel like they are cramping off and on, I've been dizzy off and on, and my lower back hurts.  Honestly...I've always thought that I have a high pain tolerance...I have three tattoos and had my tongue pierced (when I was alot younger-happy to say it's gone now), but I have obviously felt pain before...but, not like this...
Hi, I just had Endometrial biopsy on last Thursday, and it still hurts. I agree with you. It was one of the most painful procedures that I had to. I am bit upset because doc did not warn me about any side effects of this and she said I might have ''some cramping''. Some cramps? My back hurts, my lower abdominal area hurts, and I do not even want to walk around to do grocery shopping. It is so uncomfortable. How long did it take for you to recover? I am wondering what my dod did wrong....
Hi, I had this procedure done on Tuesday, today is Saturday and I am still having trouble getting up and walking around, my lower back hurts and my abdomen hurts. And I was also not given the list of side effects, I was told there was nothing to worry about once the procedure was finished!  Ugh worst pain I have felt during and after the procedure and I have given birth to 2 children! Is it still normal to be in pain like this almost 5 days after?
Hi Everyone, I can relate to all your stories.  I had my first biopsy done in 2003 and it was awful.  The doctor recommended another one in 2007.  Remembering the pain I had during the first biopsy, I refused to have it done again unless I was sedated, so my doctor preformed a DNC.  Well, I just had another biopsy on Friday.  Though I was worried about the pain, I decided to have it done in the office.  I took an 800mg Motrin table before the procedure, and I was fine.  I had relativeyl little pain and only light cramping and bleeding.  I don't know why there was such a difference between each one.  The first procedure I had without pain medication, the second I was unconscious, and the third, I had Motrin.  The procedure was preformed by the same doctor each time and I have given birth to one child.  He did tell me that the Motrin I took an hour before my appointment helps to relax the cervix.  
I just had this procedure today.  Have had horrible periods for over six months.  Have had 2 children both delivered by c-section - huge babies. This was my first visit to this specialist and she thought it would be good to get this test done to rule out a few things.  Hadn't taken any ibuprofen or anything this day.  She said it would feel like a cramp as the sample was being taken.  HOLY SMOKES!  It was like two spikes were pushed out through my hips.  Very shocked at the pain.  I was dazed afterwards.  Cramping and bleeding, tired and generally zoned.  Still had to get home afterwards - bus, walking, blech.  Had a nap and took about 4 ibuprofens.  Hope I feel better tomorrow.
I have to agree Lisa, Proudmommy and several others...it was the worst pain i felt since being in labor. At least I was given Stadol while I was laboring! I almost passed out from the pain and became extremely nauseated, My thought was also to get out of there as sonn as I was able. I sat in my car for about 10-15 minutes until I felt okay enough to drive home. I had some milder cramping once home along with some intermittent back pain. My doctor told me she had not had a patient experience that reaction before. I am totally re-thinking my pain threshold. Good luck!
Is cramping on just the right side normal (afterward)?  I had a surprise biopsy today & on the way home started to feel poorly.  Now my right side hurts & Advil doesn't help.  I want to curl up in bed with a cat snuggled against my tummy.  
I had an endometrial biopsy done this morning. I have PCOS and my endometrium lining was found to be thick on the ultrasound they did a week ago. I also have irregular periods and spot between cycles. I have not had children and was told there would be mild to moderate cramping so I took 600mg of Ibuprofen before my appt. Also the doctor prescribed 2 tabs of misoprostol (200 mcg each) to dissolve in my mouth for 30 min 2 hrs before my appt.to help "soften" and dilate my cervix. Some cramping and spotting with medication but similiar to a menstrual cramp.

Initially this procedure was tried in the exam room with a doctor and medical ***'t. My cervix was "stuborn" and after about 30 min. of continual cramping from the "poking", they decided to move to the procedure room where another doctor would use an ultrasound to locate the cervix while my doctor tried to get the sample. At this point in time, I felt that I was poked enough, but didn't want to seem wimpy so I continued to endure.

I'm not going to lie, the pain was severe cramping. I didn't cry or yell because I didn't want to be "weak". I figured if other women can birth a baby's shoulders through their cervix, I can get this tube through mine. But it hurt, a lot. The doctor kept apologizing and said that I was just one of those women whose cervix was not dilating from the meds and was very hard to find the opening.

For a procedure that was only to take a "few" minutes. I was in the office for almost 3hrs. My doctors were very nice and as gentle as they could be, but still I feel that I shouldn't of endured that severerity of pain for that long of time.

For those of you who have experienced this level of pain in a procedure- this is not the majority here. We are a select few. So women who are about to have this done for the first time, please don't get too scared. Most women feel moderate cramping in their abdomen like a very bad menstrual cramp and then somewhat of a sharp pain for just a few seconds. It's worse than a pap, but not really that bad.

It has been over 12 hours and I still feel some cramping, sort of like your worst day during menses.

But, even after all of this- I still think the worst part is the week I have to wait for the results. I guess the best advice I can give for anyone about to have a biopsy done is this: breathe! Don't tighten up or at least try not too. Most people who pass out afterwards do because of tensing up and forgetting to breathe. Take the Ibuprofen before hand and definitely ask your doctor for medication to help dilate your cervix for the procedure...although it didn't help for me, it might for you. I just don't want women to get too scared reading all these msg's and then back out of it. This is a much needed test and your doctor would not prescribe it if it wasn't needed, so please go through with it. Remember, every situation is different. Good luck to all and wishing everyone a good result.
After today's biopsy I had to search for a forum related to the pain involved with the procedure. I am trying to understand why and how they manage to have this procedure approved without any type of sedation. This procedure was truly the worst pain I have ever experienced. So painful I vomitted, then fainted. I have two children, both natural vaginal deliveries and there was no comparison. Something should be done about this. I am dazed from the trauma, words cannot describe. However, I do feel relief that I am not alone and I found this site. I would never want anyone to have this same experience, but I see it's not uncommon. I would recommend what one of the other posters said...refuse to have this performed without sedation. If I only knew prior.

I want to know if 600 mg of Ibuprofen is going to be strong enough for the  endometrial biopsy I'm having July 8. I have read too many women on health boards including HysterSisters like this one who even took 800 mg of Ibuprofen and they said it was still very painful some still said it was the most painful test they ever had. Like susadia said she gave birth to 4 children and is 53 and she took 600 mg of Ibuprofen and that it was still the most painful thing she had ever gone through without gas or some major pain killer.She said she's always handled pain well but that this was so painful that when the OBGYN said it would be another 15 seconds more,she better hurry because she couldn't take any more.They also told her she would stop cramping immediately and stop bleeding within an hour but she bled for 3 days and cramped into the night! She said she would never recommend having this done without some great pain prescription pain killers first.

I had asked the oncology gynecologist's nurse if the doctor could proscribe 800 mg and I have to take a liquid because I can't swallow pills,but the nurse said for some reason she proscribed the 600 mg of Ibuprofen instead. I had asked my regular gynecologist a month ago if he would proscribe a pain killer for the biopsy and he said yes  but he didn't say what type.He usually does the TruTest brush biopsy and not the regular type but even GYnecor who makes the TruTest admits that the regular bippsy has an advantage over this for uterine polyps.I asked my gynecologist if he could do the regular biopsy and he said he could but the reason he uses the TruTest is because it's 90% accurate.I said I know it tends to be less painful than the other biopsy and he said it usually is less uncomfortable.

I had gone to my internist las month because I hoped she would give me a proscription for the stronger pain killers percocet or vicodin because many women on different health boards said they really helped.But she refused and wanted to just proscribe 800mg of Ibuprofen.So what should I do I'm very sensitive to pain and I'm really afraid the 600mg isn't going to be strong enough.On May 13 this oncology gynecologist was going to do a biopsy without even preparing me so I had no pain medicine at all,and because I had read this topic and all of your posts and so many women on other health boards also saying how painful it is,I refused! I asked the doctor don't you numb with anything first and she said no.I had a possible uterine polyp found on a transvaginal ultrasound in March because I had been spotting in between my period since the Fall of 2005 age 40 and half .

My internist gave me a prescription for my first transvaginal ultrasound and I had it done in October 2006,and there was nothing there not even one fibroid.Then in July 2008 I had endometrial cells turn up on my Pap test and the gynecologist I was seeing at the time wanted to do a biopsy but because I had heard so many horror stories I looked online for alternatives,and I happen to find out about the TruTest Tao Brush biopsy from actress Fran Drescher who was misdiagnosed with endometrial cancer for 2 years,and she is very big on educating for early detection,and she recommends this test.So I contacted GYncor the company that makes it and I asked them if any local doctors in my are use it,and they told me the email address of the sales rep who teaches doctors how to use it and she emailed me back with quite a few women gynecologists who were not close by and booked for 3 months who use it.

But she told me about a good nice gynecologist who is just 2 blocks away,and I had never ever been to a male gynecologist before,anyway he did this biopsy and he told me it would hurt to open my cervix because I never had children and it was never opened before,and that did really hurt! But the brush biopsy itself hardly did. I had only taked 2 regular strenth asprin before the test.Everything came back benign and I wanted to have another transvaginal ultrasound right away but my internist asked me to wait because she thought the biopsy could have upset the uterus so she wanted me to wait 3 months so I did. The only thing that was found was one small fibroid,now I have 2 and a possible polyp.My mother died at age 49 from endometrial cancer stage 4 in both lungs,she put it off for many months though after  she started to feel sick.

I always asked every gynecologist I went to since my mother died when I was 20,if endometrial cancer is genetic and they all including the oncology gynecologist always said they never heard of it.Yet the site for the hospital where my mother died from it,and The Gynecological Cancer Foundation,The American College Of Obstetrics and Gynecology,say that it increases your risk and chances if you have a close female relative who had it,a mother,dauther or sister.And The American Cancer Society includes Family history as a risk,I spoke to several representatives at The National Cancer Institute who said they have no information about it specifically being genetic,but one said there is still a lot we don't yet know about cancer,and my regular gynecologist said thats true when I told him and he said we're not God.Another person at The National Cancer Institute told me they have information on cancer in general and why some people get it and others don't and they include family history of having cancers in general.

My oncology gynecologist's nurse told me the day I was there when I refused to get the biopsy with no pain medicine first,and since said this again on the phone,that it's not that painful or bad a procedure,she said this doctor has done several biopsies on her and it was just a short cramping.I asked her if the doctor uses a metal instrument because some women said that's what was used in their biopsies,she said it's plastic and the biopsy takes about a minute or so.Anyway I'm even more terrified now to have this done after I just read a recent post by italgal! What other pain medicines can I take in addition to the 600 Ibruprofen? If anyone has a helpful suggestion I really would appreciate it.
I meant that my regular gynecologist said the TruTest is 99% accurate.
Also I have several risk factors for endometrial cancer,I was always thin until I was 34,I used to eat almost anything I wanted and do no excercise,and was naturally thin,I have been struggling with my weight since I was 34 and I had to go on a diet for the first time.I lost 20 pounds 7 years ago,but I gained some back since,I'm far from obese but still somewhat overweight,and this is risk factor for endometrial cancer.I only usually eat 2 low fat low calorie meals a day,only drink diet drinks,and only cheat occasionally.I don't do enough excercise though,but I try to sometimes take long walks.Even when I lost 29 pounds,by only eating 2 low fat low calorie meals a day and rarely cheating,and walking long walks 4 times a week,I could only get down to a size 10(I'm a missy 12 now,though my weight sometimes goes up and down and I'm more like a 14 when that happens,I know because the 12 pants are tight)  and I'm 5/4 and half.I used to be an 8 in my early-mid 20's with no dieting or effort at all.

My other risks are never having children and never being on birth control pills,plus even though they say it's not a strong genetic link,my mother dying of it at 49.

Sorry, I meant even when I lost 20 pounds.
My doctor was sitting on the fence whether or not I should undergo the biopsy as I only had a little bit of spotting about a month ago just before I went for a colonoscopy (which was quite uncomfortable as I was wide awake). It was found that I had hemorroids (hemorrhoids) (which may have caused the spotting ... not 100% sure if I had vaginal spotting) and divertiticulous.  Subsequently I was sent for a pelvic ultrasound and things seemed quite normal.  She decided that I should go for a biopsy as a precaution but after reading all your comments, I'm scared.  I am 56 and had 2 children by c-section as my cervix wouldn't dilate (only 1/2 cm).  Should I forego the procedure\?
Well, I wonder if I wish I read these posts before or after my endometrial biopsy today...it was the most painful experience of my life so far.  And this coming from a woman who has recuperated from over 10 surgeries over the years, ranging from heart surgery to breast implants.  Why in the world has someone not come up with a less painful method for this procedure?  You would think with all of the medical advances, they could at least shoot some novacaine in there!  I am imagining that a man came up with this idea!  Apparently, my cervix door has been "slammed shut" according to my ob/gyn, and even with the smallest instrument, she was not able to enter, after trying for an eternity of 15 minutes.  I had to have the medical assistant fan me so I wouldn't pass out from the pain as I got very clammy.  Wish I had reconsidered vaginal delivery before opting for C-section, sometimes that helps your cervix to cooperate.  I took 600 mg of Ibuprofen an hour prior, can't begin to imagine how bad it would have been without.

My advice?  Insist on something stronger for sedation.  My Dr. said they will probably have to repeat, and the very thought of that brings terror to my emotions.  Hope in the next couple of weeks, they come up with a better way!
I have to go see a  gynecologist because the internal ultrasound I had done showed thickening and irregular area in the lining of the Endometrium wall 12 mm in size.The uterus and ovaries were not enlarged. I need a biopsy to test for cancer.I'm scared.What are the chances this is cancer?I am 39 years old and have two children.I have been spotting off and on for years.Some months every month but other months ot at all.Thank you.
I had an endometrial biopsy for the first time today. The purpose was to rule out uterine cancer, and I now have to wait about a week for results. I am 30 years old, and I've had one pregnancy/birth with my daughter, now 5 years old. I had researched how other women responded to the procedure, and since the reactions range from mild discomfort to terrible pain, I was quite scared. I asked my dr to prescribe a painkiller and an anti-axiety pill, and she did without hesitation. I took two vicodin tablets and one zanex an hour prior to the appt. The procedure was painful, but the pain was very brief, about 30 seconds or less. I'm assuming the drug cocktail helped a good deal. In my case, the pain was not as intense or as long as I had prepared myself for. Just another note though, I was menstruating at the time, which my dr says helps, because one's cervix is naturally a bit dilated during menstruation, making it easier to insert the necessary instrument. To those facing this procedure, I would recommend discussing any fears you have with your dr and asking for a pain and/or anxiety prescription if you feel you need it. I would also recommend trying to time the test to coincide with your period (unless the test is being done as part of IVF treatment, in which case the test prob. can't be done during your period.) I would also suggest having a friend or family member in the room with you for support. My husband came and held my hand the whole time, and it was immensely comforting to have that support. My heart goes out to all of you who have had truly horrific experiences with this test. I  can only imagine how traumatic that must be, and I'm so sorry for your pain and suffering. I know that every person's body responds differently to pain, and while some women find the test unspeakably painful, I just want women to know that for some women, this test is not unbearable, and you may be able to lesson the pain of your own experience by asking for strong pain relief and bringing a supportive person with you. I hope that more dr's begin to realize the physical and emotional pain that can be caused by this test, so that more women are given pain management options beyond taking a few advil in advance and not left traumatized later wondering why they were not warned about how much pain some women experience. Know your options, and discuss them with your dr. Much love and support to women everywhere facing this test and the uncertainty of the results that follow it.
Shame on you who give horror stories to those seeking comfort.  I have spoken to many nurses to be advised as to the truth good or bad about the pain of an endometrial biopsy.  They all said that it is like a rough pap smear, and that the pain is not really a big deal.  I was so scared to go for mine after I had read all of these posts.  I am glad I trusted all of my nurse friends, some of which assist with this procedure and some of which have experienced it.  I took 800 ml of ibuprofin and because I was so scared, I got some ativan from my Dr and took this all 1 hour before the procedure.  It was just like a pap smear but took a few minutes longer and when she took the samples, I could feel the cramping pain but it was tolerable and short lived.  I had no bleeding and no cramping from the time I sat up and the procedure was over.  I know that this is probably different for all patients, but for the most of us, it is nothing to lose any sleep over.  I hope this helps.  I am 52 years old and have heavy bleeding coming off of the birth control pill and an US found my lining of my uterus very thick.  So Hopefully my results will just prove this is some effect of menopause.
I had a very painful and traumatic biopsy today.

It would have been so nice to have had a warning that for most women it's not a big deal but for some women it is terrible.

I relate to a lot of these stories. Thanks for sharing them. It's helping me heal emotionally.

Do you think the pain might not be due to the woman but due to the doctors making mistakes?
I am 28 years old, I have no children, I'm schedule to have a Endometrail Biopsy on the 15th of December, I'm not going to lie I'm scared. I don't like anything where I don't really know the outcome. I want to have children one day and I'm afraid that this will cause me not to be able to conceive. I know women go through these sorth of things everyday, but I'm really scared of the outcome. If some of you don't mind and if I'm not being to personal can some of you share your results. Thank You so much for your help
Thank You for your sensibility ! I think anyone will feel the procedure, but pre-medicate, relax, and release resistance. If you clamp down...the doctor has to work harder against the tense tissues !
I just got back to work after my biopsy.  I have a very high pain tolerance I go to work with wicked cramps and migraines and even right after two root canals.  This was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life.   I yelled on the table and I never do anything like that.  I took TWO, yes TWO vicoprofin and two motrin TOGETHER 2 hours prior, it did as much as drinking a glass of water! I would never do that again.  I now need an SIS, anyone know if it is as painful?  My doc said yes, since I have no biological children. Mari
worst pain EVER i was yelling and sobbing on table could barely go through with it only reason i did was cuz i didnt want to wait another month to do it     def tell your dr you want it done in the OR so you can be sedated and numbed
July 11,2011
I was suposed to have endomentrial biospy today, but when I got to the doctor office she said that the pharmacy gave me the wrong medication which I took the night before, it was misoprostol pill 200mgg. She said   that I was suppose to get the cream. So she would not do the biospy and now I go back on July 14. Have not given birth . Am post menphousal.
does anyone know if the pill I took will cause any problems?
and what does the cream do?
My lining of the uterus was thick, No bleeding.
by: dcmattingly
now i was told on saturday 7/23 that i need to have a biopsy. i have 3 children but for some reason i do not handle pain well. so now i am terrified :-((( i have a feeling that if i take the pain meds it will still be a mess.....my uterine walls are thick 11mm (is that thick) if not then I will NOT have it done......#imjustsaying. I am 49 years old i have fibroids and cyst and the report says my cervix is closing.....IF YOU HAVE TO GO INTO THE CERVIX THAT IS MORE PAIN....ughhhhh I dont think I can handle it...is there an alternative ?
I had one three weeks ago tomorrow and have to say I'm still hurting from it or so it seems..

During the procedure, she had a hard time getting the tube in, so she had to use a tool to dialate my cervix enough to get it it which hurt like ****. I got the clammy, sweaty feeling until after it was done. Afterwards, I had awful cramping. Enough to bring tears to my eyes. I was crampy the next day and spotted for about a week until my period started again.. (So much fun since I had a whopping 3 days between end of last period and biopsy of no bleeding.) Now, I am still spotting from my period and I have been having cramping through the whole period, which is not normal. Now the cramping is so bad that I am sitting here at work fighting back tears and PRAYING for the end of day to come so I can go home.

I'm not trying to freak anyone out, but this has been my seemingly neverending experience. :(.......
The original poster wasn't seeking comfort; she was asking about the level of pain associated with this procedure. I just had it today and wish I had found this forum beforehand, as I did do research on it up front and had been warned about cramping, which doesn't come close to the pain I had. You are fortunate your experience was relatively minor, but that was YOUR experience. Not everyone is so lucky. It's helpful for those of us who had extreme pain to hear that we're not the only ones in that position - you can't help but wonder if something is wrong with you (physically OR mentally), and it's nice to know you're not alone. I, myself, would like to have known it can be really bad so I wouldn't have been so scared. My level of pain was akin to labor with no drugs (been there, done that), and since I was told to expect cramping I was scared something was wrong. You shouldn't make people feel worse than they already do by trying to shame them into keeping their experiences to themselves.
I got an email today about my post immediately following my biopsy in May 2009, so I'm updating.

I had a mastectomy with reconstruction for breast cancer three weeks ago.  My biggest fear was not the cancer -- it was that I would feel the same level of pain caused by the endometrial biopsy.  I seriously considered not having the surgery rather than risk feeling that kind of pain again.   I was a complete pest in the hospital about getting my pain meds immediately on the 4 hour mark.  No one understood -- family, friends and medical team.  I felt patronized but I didn't care.  

It changed who I am.  I still shudder and flinch when I think about it.  

Would I do it again?  NO WAY.  I will cheerfully die of endometrial cancer before I would do that again and you are talking to someone with a 4 inch chest scar and rounds of chemo ahead of me.  NO WAY.

If you have this in your future, I implore you to refuse the test unless you are given at least twilight anesthesia.  There is no legitimate reason that is not the accepted protocol in the US -- male driven insurance machines if you ask me.

I'm STILL mad.
I have to say I had a endometrial biopsy a few days ago and felt nothing. NO PAIN AT ALL! I have had two kids both vaginally and it was the last day of my period. I am not sure if that helps at all. I do think I have a high tolerance for pain but I honestly felt nothing. I actually feel more discomfort now gas,bloating,pressure, lower back pain, fullness all of which I didnt feel before.
I thought it was AWFUL.  I was in so much pain during the procedure that I asked her to stop.  She was almost done so she told me to hang in there. I have had 2 kids and have never felt this type of pain before.  My was done to rule out cervical cancer before I have an ablation.   I agree that there should be some sort of pain med administered.  I feel that I have a high pain tolerance also, but I was in some much pain during this procedure and the cramping i am having is awful!
Shame on you for dismissing other women's experiences! How DARE you? You were lucky- yours wasn't painful. That doesn't mean that that is the case for all women, and it doesn't have a thing to do with one's pain threshold.
For some women, the procedure isn't bad. For other women, it truly is the worst pain they've ever felt, and it isn't about their pain threshold, it's about luck. You should be grateful that you got lucky, not berating women for whom it was an incredibly painful, traumatizing experience.
I had an endometrial biopsy yesterday, and I asked my sister beforehand if she had had one before her ablation, and if it was painful. She said that she had, and that it hadn't been painful, just a small pinch and a little discomfort.

Now, let me explain something- my pain threshold is orders of magnitude higher than my sister's. She has a friend who is a massage therapist, and who has commented on how low my sister's tolerance/threshold for pain is, and how high mine is.

I have had numerous migraines. I have had surgery on my spine, sinuses, knee and feet. I have had my sinuses form a vacuum when planes would descend too quickly, and if you ask anybody who has experienced THAT, it is excruciating, no matter how high your pain tolerance and threshold.

My endometrial biopsy yesterday topped that pain. As somebody else posted, I feel like I have PTSD. I never even NOTICED a PAP smear, so comparing it to that is ridiculous. While it may feel about the same as a PAP smear for some, it didn't for me. I literally SCREAMED. I have NEVER before screamed in pain; even when I've experienced excruciating agony. I tend to be one of those people who goes silent and starts panting, not somebody who screams.

The reason I had the biopsy is because my doctor put me on the lowest-dose BC pills on the market, and I'd had spotting while on them for the first three months. Because I'm over 40, he said that if I had any bleeding this month or the next couple of months, to come in to see him. Well, I started spotting on Monday, so I went in to see him the next evening. As I said, I asked my sister, as well as a friend, about the pain, and my sister said what I've already reported. My friend had never had one, but a friend of hers had, and had said that the cramps afterwards were the worst of it.

I had no expectation that this would be painful, so I actually wasn't even stressed about it. When I asked my doctor if he was going to do an endometrial biopsy, he said 'yes', and that the other option was for me to go to the hospital and have a D&C. I laughed and said, 'no', and that the biopsy was my preference. I was wrong. When I casually asked him, "will this hurt?" as he was getting started, he said, "small pinch", and a nanosecond later I experienced the most excruciating pain of my life. It honestly felt like he was trying to pull out my uterus with a pair of pliers. I will NEVER have one of these done again- I don't care what the test results are, if they want to get any other tissue out of my uterus, they will need to do it in a hospital and they'll need to sedate me, because I will never, ever let somebody do that to me again.

So for those of you who have had mild pain or no pain, or even moderate pain, I'm genuinely happy for you. For those who haven't, please know that this has nothing to do with your pain threshold/tolerance, and that there is no way to know beforehand whether it's going to be moderately uncomfortable or a psyche-scarring experience. Period. (no pun intended)
P.S. I have never given birth, have never had an abnormal pap smear, am not menopausal and am over 40. I have no idea if any of those are factors, but as I said, this was an incredibly horrific experience.
Katie1960, I am right there with you. Thank you for writing something that shows that it has nothing to do with pain tolerance or with bravery when it comes to this procedure- as far as I can tell, it's all about luck. And some of us had very bad luck.
I will never, ever, under any circumstance let somebody do this to me again unless I am sedated AND have local anesthesia, plus painkillers afterwards. And I'm not even sure I'd do it then.
i just had mine done yesterday and it was also the most painful procedure i have ever had done..there is no way i would ever have it done again with being put under..i had a biopsy of the cervix 2 weeks prior to this and that wasnt that painful..so when i asked this nurse if this one hurt she stated it was less painful..boy was she wrong..i screamed in the office"are you done, please be done, please, please, please be done, are you done"
I had a biopsy. I did not experience any pain or cramps. I do feel a little sore down there, but thats about it. I think the reason i didn't have any bad symptoms is because they played meditation music in the room. The doctor wanted to know if I wanted to hear the sounds of birds or rainfalls. I didn't think doctors play music during biopsys, but I said okay. I think the doctor will play meditation music as a calming effect since some patients get discomfort or instant cramping. Since I meditate at home using meditation music. I decided to let the doctor play the music so I can go into a meditative state.I think it helped. the only thing i felt during the procedure is when they stuck the needle down there to numb the area, adn afterwards when they started the procedure it felt like they were just poking something down there, but it didn't hurt.
Just had an endometrial biopsy yesterday. VERY PAINFUL, no matter how short (longest '30 seconds' of my life).

I will never do it again without full sedation.  I had taken the suggested ibuprofen, augmented with a little Ativan ahead of time.

I have had 3 vaginal births, 2 babies over 9 lbs. Two culposcopies within the past 4 years. Breast biopsies of 2 kinds, and mastectomy. Nothing compared to the surprise of the level of pain - very traumatizing. Wish I had read this forum first, as typically I rate my pain tolerance pretty high.

Oh, and I'm not having any cramping, etc., afterwards so I have no reason to assume my doctor "did anything wrong" or perforated me, etc. But never again without being knocked out.
My heart just goes out to everyone who was not given STRONG medication before this procedure!!  I am so sorry that you had to endure what really amounts to a form of torture!

Last week, I had a D&C, uterine biopsy, and a endometrial ablation after an ultrasound (and my symptoms) indicated a thickened lining and polyps.  My wonderful (female) doctor gave me two tablets to insert vaginally the night before (to dilate my cervix) and a prescription for Tylenol #3.  She told me that some women have pain and some don't (I think that she downplayed the possibility of pain so that I wouldn't get freaked out and cancel), so she was giving me the 'script just in case.  She also encouraged me to just try doubling my OTC Advil first and if that wasn't doing enough, then I could layer it with the prescription med.  (Apparently, the layering is possible since the painkiller works better when taken with an anti-inflammatory.)  She warned me that I might get some cramping and spotting while my cervix was dilating, as well as the cramping and spotting I would have afterwards.  When I asked about pain meds during the procedure (scheduled to be performed at an outpatient surgical center), she said not to worry because I'd be sound asleep; I was getting a general anesthetic!

I am 51 years old, have PCOS, am not yet in menopause, and have given birth to 3 children without pain meds (as well as enduring a very painful miscarriage), so I know a little bit about pain.  When I awoke in the recovery room, and they were getting ready to send me home, I was told that I couldn't take anything for pain until after 3:00 p.m. because of the strong drugs still in my system.  I was already feeling the dull throbbing of cramps, and it was only 9:30 a.m.!

What a long day that turned out to be.  Even under these comparatively "cushy" circumstances, every hour that crept by seemed to multiply my suffering!  I sent my husband to fill my "emergency" prescription by noon so that I would have it on hand at the stroke of 3:00.  You can bet that I began my layering asap: 2 Tylenol #3 tablets and 4 OTC Advil capsules.  And I still barely felt that they were taking the edge off of the pain.  I would definitely rate the level on par with most of my strong labor pains.  Exhausted on all levels, I was luckily able to sleep well that night and felt so much better, I was able to begin cutting back to just the Advil by morning.

I have a feeling that whether or not a woman experiences pain or merely "discomfort" has less to do with the competence of the doctor (although I know that there are some really bad ones out there, how hard can the procedure be to perform, really?) and more to do with what is going on with our individual bodies and with our expectations.  With proper preparation (definitely including PAIN MEDICATIONS), there isn't a whole lot that women can't handle (I believe there's a reason why God chose the women to have the babies instead of the wimpy men)!  Which is why it's so sadly ironic that so many male doctors seem to expect their patients to endure at their hands what there is no way they would be able to handle themselves!!
Wow....I  must be pretty storng...i have had no chldren , 47 and in good shape.. i stopped my period 14 months ago and my period started back 3 weeks ago.. and it is a period and i kept trying to tell the Doc... she said it was NOT a period at all... how does she know??.. just cuz  of the 12 month rule... is the 12 month rule with no period mean post menopausal  for every human.. ? ......... i know my body....... any way i went in for a paps smear 7 days ago and no pain at all then she said let me do a quick endo biopsy i said ok go ahead. a few minutes later.... it did pinch and i had to sing through the process out loud ( I sing ) of course the nurse laughed at me.. but the pain sucked with bad cramps.... wow..... and then i cramped and then she said oh lets do an ultrasound next i said ok... but i felt like i was put through the ringer... having within one hour------ a paps, then the endo biopsy (which i did not like) and then the transvaginal ultrasound.... wow that was alot... at one time... the ultrasound looked good but do not know other results as of yet.... i think not all doctors know everything (like when i had my period) ... sometimes you have to tell them what you think... and in most of my cases i have been correct about my body... lol
My question is this (in case you want to skip the rest): Has anyone every refused an endometrial biopsy?

I had an EMB about 2 years ago with no pain meds, not even OTC. It was VERY painful, I yelled "stop you're torturing me!!!" as they (doctor and trainee doctor) were getting the sample. Reason for EMB was suspicious cells on Pap smear, but the EMB showed everything normal. I probably had the pap smear too soon after my period.

Back in May I went off Nuva-Ring, and did not have a period in June. I went on Climara pro, but the patch gave me a rash, so switched to prempro, but I got bad breast pain. So I went of that, but just as I started to taper off, I had what I think was a light period (same duration, same characteristics as period, only very light). Well, when I told my Gyn that, she diagnosed me with postmenopausal bleeding (I'm 52 but my periods hadn't stopped til I went off Nuva Ring). Got a vaginal ultrasound that showed my endometrium was 2mm thicker than the cutoff that would've spared me another EMB.
So when my EMB was ordered, I asked for pain meds. I was offered option of 800mg ibuprofen or narcotics and stupidly opted for the former. The EMB was incredibly painful, and doc could not get the instrument into my uterus. So she gave me option of D&C or another EMB but after taking cytotec to help open the cervix. I chose the latter, just to get out of the office. HORRIBLE cramps for a couple of hours after, and I was barely able to function at work.

Thinking about my case, I have decided to refuse the EMB and the D&C. I am extremely angry at the doctor -- she told me I HAD to go on hormones after coming off nuva ring or else I'd have TERRIBLE hot flashes. Well, I have not had a single one, nor have I had any other adverse symptom of menopause. She doesn't even know whether I'm post-menopausal or not; she's just being cautious, but she's not the one on the table for the procedures. I AM.

Would like to hear from other people who might have made a similar decision.
I know what you are talking about.  I had one couple years ago and it hurts so bad that the patients in he waiting room heard me.  I know have to get another one so my Dr. give me misoprostol to take.
I had an endometrial biopsy about 3 weeks ago due to abnormal uterine bleeding (I've been bleeding for over two months straight).  My doctor had me take 800mg of ibuprofen three times the day before the procedure and once the morning of.  Actually since my appointment wasn't until about 2:30 I took the last dose of ibuprofen about an hour and a half before the procedure so it would still be in my system.  I was very nervous about it.  The pinch as she was opening the cervix was the most painful part.  It did hurt, but I wouldn't say it was excruciating.  I never felt the need to cry out.  After that came the extraction of tissue.  It's a twisting of the instrument that gathers the tissue.  That felt like a bad cramp.  That happened 3 times.  Another strong pinch when the clamp on the cervix was taken off.  That was it.  Afterwards, my bleeding was actually a bit less than it had been. I wasn't really crampy.  I felt more sort of bruised.  It was definitely more comfortable to recline or lie down than sit.  I took it easy that night and the next day, but after that I was completely fine.  Except for the bleeding that's been ongoing.  I am scheduled for an ablation soon.

I would absolutely insist on some sort of ibuprofen or something before this procedure.  
Thank you for your post. Most women on this forum say that the endometrial biopsy is very painful. You say it's bearable. I'm scheduled to have this procedure later on this week and I'm concerned. I've been advised to take 2 misoprostol 200 mg 4 hours before the procedure and to take 2 advils, 200 milligrams each. Anyway, thank you for posting your
comments. I'm still a little worried, but not as worried as before.
The single thing you should take away from this forum is that the experience can be mild, or it can be excruciating. It has nothing to do with one's pain tolerance or pain threshold, and it probably doesn't have a lot to do with the skill of the doctor.
I DO think that being prepared in advance that it can be incredibly painful and taking painkillers (I wasn't and I didn't) actually has a lot more to do with whether the experience is mild or horrifying than anything else does. Just because one person inappropriately and rudely dismissed others' experiences doesn't make her right, and it certainly doesn't make her an expert. I encourage you to prepare for yours in any way that you can, to take painkillers, and to ask your doctor for any tips that can help ease the procedure. Taking one person's presumptive, inaccurate proclamation that it simply isn't painful is very foolish. I hope that yours was NOT painful, but that doesn't change the FACT that for many women, it is.
It's not a moral failing; it's not a pain threshold issue. It's an experience and is therefore unique to every single person who has it. Choosing to treat one person's experience as factual and others as fallacy is pretty darned foolish, however.
Actually, from what you wrote, your doctor did help you to prepare for yours, which is better than what mine did. I do hope it went well and was pain-free.
I had my biopsy done today. My experience was very bad. It hurt like all h***, I screamed and cried. I became clammy and very hot. They had to remove my shirt and cover me with cold wahs rags and used alcohol swabs to cool me down. I became flushed and my lips turned bluish purple. I almost passed out several times, and became very nauseas. They had to help me into the bathroom when I sat having loose stool for about 35 min. They said it was a rare reaction but they have seen it before in women. I felt very weak and had to be rolled out in a wheel chair to our car. Thank God my husband went because I have no idea what the specialist was saying I was in too much pain. It is about 6 hours since the procedure and I have some minor pressure and cramping but feel much better. You women who have gone through this and came out fine y'all are soldiers.
What a relief to read these stories.... I thought I was just overly sensitive.  It really did hurt and I am not a wuss.  Slight discomfort my fanny!!!!

I was supposed to have an endometrial biopsy a few years ago.  The doctor assured me that while uncomfortable it wasn't much different than a pap smear.  Yeah right!  When they tried to insert the tube though the cervix, the pain was so sharp and deep  that I became instantly nauseous and nearly vomited on the nurse. My cervix is not centered so they had to grab it and turn it to insert the tube...  

They tried again with the same results. At which point,  I refused to go through with the procedure to which they said, well we could do a vaginal untrasound...  

And I shouted, what the hell were you thinking in doing this procedure when there is a NON INVASIVE one that will provide answers to your questions?  

Now some 5 years later, much to my dismay, I discovered some spotting and I am dreading a another go round.  My plan is to find a nice doctor who will knock me out for a few minutes...  Thanks for sharing ladies.... it has validated my response to this.  And I agree with the many who have stated that the doctors and nurses are NOT accurate in their description of possible pain levels in this process.  
I had an endometrial biopsy today. Thank you to all who posted. My Dr informed me that it would be very painful but it only last 15 sec and "you can endure anything for 15 second right?" She said, one lady said never again, then she said I could do it. after these comments, I researched this and saw all the comments here. I also researched this on medical sites for peer review articles. here's what i found out.  My dr uses a device which collects multiple samples from multiple sites  for 15 seconds. This is the best for ruling out cancer since it gets all locations. it is used commonly by many doctors and is called vabra aspiration. some doctors collect only one small sample from one location and this may be why some biopsies are less painful. my doctor does lots of biopsies so she is good at it. I decided to have her do this procedure, but, I insisted on Valium, lortab, cytotec (to dilate the cervix) and I also,took aleve. I took  400 mg cytotec the night before and 100 mg the day of the procedure and getting the device in my uterus was so easy, even though I have never had a vaginal delivery.  I also insisted on intra uterine lidocaine. After she inserted 5cc of lidocaine gel, she waited 5 min. For it to work. Make sure to wait these 5 minutes.  There was no pain, only slight pressure even when she took the biopsy. I think she was surprised I had no pain. Please ask your doctor for these meds. Btw. The cost for the meds was very minimal after my insurance. I think I paid $5 after insurance for all this. Please ask for this! I am so thankful for the prayers  of my church family and for the medications that made this procedure painfree!
This is crazy.  Way to scare the crap out of people who MAY DIE if they do not get this test.  I am one such woman.  I am 48 yo.  Have 3 kids and now after no period for 3 years, I got one.  Had ultra sound now they want biopsy.  Came on here to see what people say.  See some lawyer talk about "Post tramatic stress" and how she is messed up because of this test.

Ladies - who the hell cares if it hurts - YOU COULD DIE WITHOUT IT!!!!! Do you get that?  Get the test if you need it.  IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!!!
I had 2 labor plus C-section births at ages 33 and 37.  I am now 66 and had been bleeding for 5 days. My female OB/GYN wanted to do an endometrial biopsy. I also have a large fibroid benign tumor.  The morning of the procedure my doctor had me take 1 Cytotec/Misoprostol 200mcg tab to dilate the cervix, plus 4 - 200mg Advil in case there was cramping.  There was no cramping.
Then that afternoon, 1 hour before my appointment I was instructed to take 4 more 200mg Advil. First I had a uterine sonogram to check the benign tumor, look for polyps and measure the thickness of the endometrium. I was told the endometrium should be less than 5mm thick.  Mine was 2mm, which the tech said was good. The sonogram did not hurt at all and there was no discomfort. For the biopsy I was told I would feel a pinch.  That was not true.  I felt about 4 large hard pinches and 2 "hurt like hell" feelings that took several moments to complete.  I held still but started to sweat, and moaned. The female doctor apologized to me and was very caring. I am grateful I had all that Advil in me.  I did bleed and spot a little for about 2 days, but did not have much discomfort or any pain after the procedure was done.  I took my husband along as a designated driver.  The pain meds made me dizzy. I am glad the test was done to see if I have cancer. The doctors office will call in a day or 2 to let me know the results of the tests.
I had one 14 years ago and it was unbearably painful.  Now, at 66 without having given birth and significant atropy, I cannot believe how difficult it is to find a gyn who will give me pain meds or meds for conscious sedation.  What is the reluctance of the medical community to protect women from this kind of unnecessary pain???!!!!!!!!!!!!