Endometrial biopsy
I'm going to have endometrial biopsy because of irregular spotting. The doc said it'll be uncomfortable because I've never given birth. Anyone in my situation and had endometrial biopsy? Was it unbearably painful like the WORST period cramp?  I'm advised to take 4x200mg motrin. Thanks
Well, I wonder if I wish I read these posts before or after my endometrial biopsy today...it was the most painful experience of my life so far.  And this coming from a woman who has recuperated from over 10 surgeries over the years, ranging from heart surgery to breast implants.  Why in the world has someone not come up with a less painful method for this procedure?  You would think with all of the medical advances, they could at least shoot some novacaine in there!  I am imagining that a man came up with this idea!  Apparently, my cervix door has been "slammed shut" according to my ob/gyn, and even with the smallest instrument, she was not able to enter, after trying for an eternity of 15 minutes.  I had to have the medical assistant fan me so I wouldn't pass out from the pain as I got very clammy.  Wish I had reconsidered vaginal delivery before opting for C-section, sometimes that helps your cervix to cooperate.  I took 600 mg of Ibuprofen an hour prior, can't begin to imagine how bad it would have been without.

My advice?  Insist on something stronger for sedation.  My Dr. said they will probably have to repeat, and the very thought of that brings terror to my emotions.  Hope in the next couple of weeks, they come up with a better way!
I have to go see a  gynecologist because the internal ultrasound I had done showed thickening and irregular area in the lining of the Endometrium wall 12 mm in size.The uterus and ovaries were not enlarged. I need a biopsy to test for cancer.I'm scared.What are the chances this is cancer?I am 39 years old and have two children.I have been spotting off and on for years.Some months every month but other months ot at all.Thank you.
I had an endometrial biopsy for the first time today. The purpose was to rule out uterine cancer, and I now have to wait about a week for results. I am 30 years old, and I've had one pregnancy/birth with my daughter, now 5 years old. I had researched how other women responded to the procedure, and since the reactions range from mild discomfort to terrible pain, I was quite scared. I asked my dr to prescribe a painkiller and an anti-axiety pill, and she did without hesitation. I took two vicodin tablets and one zanex an hour prior to the appt. The procedure was painful, but the pain was very brief, about 30 seconds or less. I'm assuming the drug cocktail helped a good deal. In my case, the pain was not as intense or as long as I had prepared myself for. Just another note though, I was menstruating at the time, which my dr says helps, because one's cervix is naturally a bit dilated during menstruation, making it easier to insert the necessary instrument. To those facing this procedure, I would recommend discussing any fears you have with your dr and asking for a pain and/or anxiety prescription if you feel you need it. I would also recommend trying to time the test to coincide with your period (unless the test is being done as part of IVF treatment, in which case the test prob. can't be done during your period.) I would also suggest having a friend or family member in the room with you for support. My husband came and held my hand the whole time, and it was immensely comforting to have that support. My heart goes out to all of you who have had truly horrific experiences with this test. I  can only imagine how traumatic that must be, and I'm so sorry for your pain and suffering. I know that every person's body responds differently to pain, and while some women find the test unspeakably painful, I just want women to know that for some women, this test is not unbearable, and you may be able to lesson the pain of your own experience by asking for strong pain relief and bringing a supportive person with you. I hope that more dr's begin to realize the physical and emotional pain that can be caused by this test, so that more women are given pain management options beyond taking a few advil in advance and not left traumatized later wondering why they were not warned about how much pain some women experience. Know your options, and discuss them with your dr. Much love and support to women everywhere facing this test and the uncertainty of the results that follow it.
Shame on you who give horror stories to those seeking comfort.  I have spoken to many nurses to be advised as to the truth good or bad about the pain of an endometrial biopsy.  They all said that it is like a rough pap smear, and that the pain is not really a big deal.  I was so scared to go for mine after I had read all of these posts.  I am glad I trusted all of my nurse friends, some of which assist with this procedure and some of which have experienced it.  I took 800 ml of ibuprofin and because I was so scared, I got some ativan from my Dr and took this all 1 hour before the procedure.  It was just like a pap smear but took a few minutes longer and when she took the samples, I could feel the cramping pain but it was tolerable and short lived.  I had no bleeding and no cramping from the time I sat up and the procedure was over.  I know that this is probably different for all patients, but for the most of us, it is nothing to lose any sleep over.  I hope this helps.  I am 52 years old and have heavy bleeding coming off of the birth control pill and an US found my lining of my uterus very thick.  So Hopefully my results will just prove this is some effect of menopause.
I had a very painful and traumatic biopsy today.

It would have been so nice to have had a warning that for most women it's not a big deal but for some women it is terrible.

I relate to a lot of these stories. Thanks for sharing them. It's helping me heal emotionally.

Do you think the pain might not be due to the woman but due to the doctors making mistakes?
I am 28 years old, I have no children, I'm schedule to have a Endometrail Biopsy on the 15th of December, I'm not going to lie I'm scared. I don't like anything where I don't really know the outcome. I want to have children one day and I'm afraid that this will cause me not to be able to conceive. I know women go through these sorth of things everyday, but I'm really scared of the outcome. If some of you don't mind and if I'm not being to personal can some of you share your results. Thank You so much for your help
Thank You for your sensibility ! I think anyone will feel the procedure, but pre-medicate, relax, and release resistance. If you clamp down...the doctor has to work harder against the tense tissues !
I just got back to work after my biopsy.  I have a very high pain tolerance I go to work with wicked cramps and migraines and even right after two root canals.  This was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life.   I yelled on the table and I never do anything like that.  I took TWO, yes TWO vicoprofin and two motrin TOGETHER 2 hours prior, it did as much as drinking a glass of water! I would never do that again.  I now need an SIS, anyone know if it is as painful?  My doc said yes, since I have no biological children. Mari
worst pain EVER i was yelling and sobbing on table could barely go through with it only reason i did was cuz i didnt want to wait another month to do it     def tell your dr you want it done in the OR so you can be sedated and numbed
July 11,2011
I was suposed to have endomentrial biospy today, but when I got to the doctor office she said that the pharmacy gave me the wrong medication which I took the night before, it was misoprostol pill 200mgg. She said   that I was suppose to get the cream. So she would not do the biospy and now I go back on July 14. Have not given birth . Am post menphousal.
does anyone know if the pill I took will cause any problems?
and what does the cream do?
My lining of the uterus was thick, No bleeding.
by: dcmattingly
now i was told on saturday 7/23 that i need to have a biopsy. i have 3 children but for some reason i do not handle pain well. so now i am terrified :-((( i have a feeling that if i take the pain meds it will still be a mess.....my uterine walls are thick 11mm (is that thick) if not then I will NOT have it done......#imjustsaying. I am 49 years old i have fibroids and cyst and the report says my cervix is closing.....IF YOU HAVE TO GO INTO THE CERVIX THAT IS MORE PAIN....ughhhhh I dont think I can handle it...is there an alternative ?
I had one three weeks ago tomorrow and have to say I'm still hurting from it or so it seems..

During the procedure, she had a hard time getting the tube in, so she had to use a tool to dialate my cervix enough to get it it which hurt like ****. I got the clammy, sweaty feeling until after it was done. Afterwards, I had awful cramping. Enough to bring tears to my eyes. I was crampy the next day and spotted for about a week until my period started again.. (So much fun since I had a whopping 3 days between end of last period and biopsy of no bleeding.) Now, I am still spotting from my period and I have been having cramping through the whole period, which is not normal. Now the cramping is so bad that I am sitting here at work fighting back tears and PRAYING for the end of day to come so I can go home.

I'm not trying to freak anyone out, but this has been my seemingly neverending experience. :(.......
The original poster wasn't seeking comfort; she was asking about the level of pain associated with this procedure. I just had it today and wish I had found this forum beforehand, as I did do research on it up front and had been warned about cramping, which doesn't come close to the pain I had. You are fortunate your experience was relatively minor, but that was YOUR experience. Not everyone is so lucky. It's helpful for those of us who had extreme pain to hear that we're not the only ones in that position - you can't help but wonder if something is wrong with you (physically OR mentally), and it's nice to know you're not alone. I, myself, would like to have known it can be really bad so I wouldn't have been so scared. My level of pain was akin to labor with no drugs (been there, done that), and since I was told to expect cramping I was scared something was wrong. You shouldn't make people feel worse than they already do by trying to shame them into keeping their experiences to themselves.
I got an email today about my post immediately following my biopsy in May 2009, so I'm updating.

I had a mastectomy with reconstruction for breast cancer three weeks ago.  My biggest fear was not the cancer -- it was that I would feel the same level of pain caused by the endometrial biopsy.  I seriously considered not having the surgery rather than risk feeling that kind of pain again.   I was a complete pest in the hospital about getting my pain meds immediately on the 4 hour mark.  No one understood -- family, friends and medical team.  I felt patronized but I didn't care.  

It changed who I am.  I still shudder and flinch when I think about it.  

Would I do it again?  NO WAY.  I will cheerfully die of endometrial cancer before I would do that again and you are talking to someone with a 4 inch chest scar and rounds of chemo ahead of me.  NO WAY.

If you have this in your future, I implore you to refuse the test unless you are given at least twilight anesthesia.  There is no legitimate reason that is not the accepted protocol in the US -- male driven insurance machines if you ask me.

I'm STILL mad.
I have to say I had a endometrial biopsy a few days ago and felt nothing. NO PAIN AT ALL! I have had two kids both vaginally and it was the last day of my period. I am not sure if that helps at all. I do think I have a high tolerance for pain but I honestly felt nothing. I actually feel more discomfort now gas,bloating,pressure, lower back pain, fullness all of which I didnt feel before.
I thought it was AWFUL.  I was in so much pain during the procedure that I asked her to stop.  She was almost done so she told me to hang in there. I have had 2 kids and have never felt this type of pain before.  My was done to rule out cervical cancer before I have an ablation.   I agree that there should be some sort of pain med administered.  I feel that I have a high pain tolerance also, but I was in some much pain during this procedure and the cramping i am having is awful!
Shame on you for dismissing other women's experiences! How DARE you? You were lucky- yours wasn't painful. That doesn't mean that that is the case for all women, and it doesn't have a thing to do with one's pain threshold.
For some women, the procedure isn't bad. For other women, it truly is the worst pain they've ever felt, and it isn't about their pain threshold, it's about luck. You should be grateful that you got lucky, not berating women for whom it was an incredibly painful, traumatizing experience.
I agree with Randombana, shame on you. You are one of the lucky ones.  I have had two endo biopsy and going in this Monday for another.  I have a very high threshold for pain.  I have had two children naturally, treatment for cervical cancer, breast explant, cone biopsy, and the list goes on.  the pain form this procedure is the worst I have ever felt.  and even though I have pain meds to take before the procedure I am freaking out because the pain is so intense.  
I had an endometrial biopsy yesterday, and I asked my sister beforehand if she had had one before her ablation, and if it was painful. She said that she had, and that it hadn't been painful, just a small pinch and a little discomfort.

Now, let me explain something- my pain threshold is orders of magnitude higher than my sister's. She has a friend who is a massage therapist, and who has commented on how low my sister's tolerance/threshold for pain is, and how high mine is.

I have had numerous migraines. I have had surgery on my spine, sinuses, knee and feet. I have had my sinuses form a vacuum when planes would descend too quickly, and if you ask anybody who has experienced THAT, it is excruciating, no matter how high your pain tolerance and threshold.

My endometrial biopsy yesterday topped that pain. As somebody else posted, I feel like I have PTSD. I never even NOTICED a PAP smear, so comparing it to that is ridiculous. While it may feel about the same as a PAP smear for some, it didn't for me. I literally SCREAMED. I have NEVER before screamed in pain; even when I've experienced excruciating agony. I tend to be one of those people who goes silent and starts panting, not somebody who screams.

The reason I had the biopsy is because my doctor put me on the lowest-dose BC pills on the market, and I'd had spotting while on them for the first three months. Because I'm over 40, he said that if I had any bleeding this month or the next couple of months, to come in to see him. Well, I started spotting on Monday, so I went in to see him the next evening. As I said, I asked my sister, as well as a friend, about the pain, and my sister said what I've already reported. My friend had never had one, but a friend of hers had, and had said that the cramps afterwards were the worst of it.

I had no expectation that this would be painful, so I actually wasn't even stressed about it. When I asked my doctor if he was going to do an endometrial biopsy, he said 'yes', and that the other option was for me to go to the hospital and have a D&C. I laughed and said, 'no', and that the biopsy was my preference. I was wrong. When I casually asked him, "will this hurt?" as he was getting started, he said, "small pinch", and a nanosecond later I experienced the most excruciating pain of my life. It honestly felt like he was trying to pull out my uterus with a pair of pliers. I will NEVER have one of these done again- I don't care what the test results are, if they want to get any other tissue out of my uterus, they will need to do it in a hospital and they'll need to sedate me, because I will never, ever let somebody do that to me again.

So for those of you who have had mild pain or no pain, or even moderate pain, I'm genuinely happy for you. For those who haven't, please know that this has nothing to do with your pain threshold/tolerance, and that there is no way to know beforehand whether it's going to be moderately uncomfortable or a psyche-scarring experience. Period. (no pun intended)
P.S. I have never given birth, have never had an abnormal pap smear, am not menopausal and am over 40. I have no idea if any of those are factors, but as I said, this was an incredibly horrific experience.
Katie1960, I am right there with you. Thank you for writing something that shows that it has nothing to do with pain tolerance or with bravery when it comes to this procedure- as far as I can tell, it's all about luck. And some of us had very bad luck.
I will never, ever, under any circumstance let somebody do this to me again unless I am sedated AND have local anesthesia, plus painkillers afterwards. And I'm not even sure I'd do it then.
i just had mine done yesterday and it was also the most painful procedure i have ever had done..there is no way i would ever have it done again with being put under..i had a biopsy of the cervix 2 weeks prior to this and that wasnt that painful..so when i asked this nurse if this one hurt she stated it was less painful..boy was she wrong..i screamed in the office"are you done, please be done, please, please, please be done, are you done"
I had a biopsy. I did not experience any pain or cramps. I do feel a little sore down there, but thats about it. I think the reason i didn't have any bad symptoms is because they played meditation music in the room. The doctor wanted to know if I wanted to hear the sounds of birds or rainfalls. I didn't think doctors play music during biopsys, but I said okay. I think the doctor will play meditation music as a calming effect since some patients get discomfort or instant cramping. Since I meditate at home using meditation music. I decided to let the doctor play the music so I can go into a meditative state.I think it helped. the only thing i felt during the procedure is when they stuck the needle down there to numb the area, adn afterwards when they started the procedure it felt like they were just poking something down there, but it didn't hurt.
Just had an endometrial biopsy yesterday. VERY PAINFUL, no matter how short (longest '30 seconds' of my life).

I will never do it again without full sedation.  I had taken the suggested ibuprofen, augmented with a little Ativan ahead of time.

I have had 3 vaginal births, 2 babies over 9 lbs. Two culposcopies within the past 4 years. Breast biopsies of 2 kinds, and mastectomy. Nothing compared to the surprise of the level of pain - very traumatizing. Wish I had read this forum first, as typically I rate my pain tolerance pretty high.

Oh, and I'm not having any cramping, etc., afterwards so I have no reason to assume my doctor "did anything wrong" or perforated me, etc. But never again without being knocked out.
My heart just goes out to everyone who was not given STRONG medication before this procedure!!  I am so sorry that you had to endure what really amounts to a form of torture!

Last week, I had a D&C, uterine biopsy, and a endometrial ablation after an ultrasound (and my symptoms) indicated a thickened lining and polyps.  My wonderful (female) doctor gave me two tablets to insert vaginally the night before (to dilate my cervix) and a prescription for Tylenol #3.  She told me that some women have pain and some don't (I think that she downplayed the possibility of pain so that I wouldn't get freaked out and cancel), so she was giving me the 'script just in case.  She also encouraged me to just try doubling my OTC Advil first and if that wasn't doing enough, then I could layer it with the prescription med.  (Apparently, the layering is possible since the painkiller works better when taken with an anti-inflammatory.)  She warned me that I might get some cramping and spotting while my cervix was dilating, as well as the cramping and spotting I would have afterwards.  When I asked about pain meds during the procedure (scheduled to be performed at an outpatient surgical center), she said not to worry because I'd be sound asleep; I was getting a general anesthetic!

I am 51 years old, have PCOS, am not yet in menopause, and have given birth to 3 children without pain meds (as well as enduring a very painful miscarriage), so I know a little bit about pain.  When I awoke in the recovery room, and they were getting ready to send me home, I was told that I couldn't take anything for pain until after 3:00 p.m. because of the strong drugs still in my system.  I was already feeling the dull throbbing of cramps, and it was only 9:30 a.m.!

What a long day that turned out to be.  Even under these comparatively "cushy" circumstances, every hour that crept by seemed to multiply my suffering!  I sent my husband to fill my "emergency" prescription by noon so that I would have it on hand at the stroke of 3:00.  You can bet that I began my layering asap: 2 Tylenol #3 tablets and 4 OTC Advil capsules.  And I still barely felt that they were taking the edge off of the pain.  I would definitely rate the level on par with most of my strong labor pains.  Exhausted on all levels, I was luckily able to sleep well that night and felt so much better, I was able to begin cutting back to just the Advil by morning.

I have a feeling that whether or not a woman experiences pain or merely "discomfort" has less to do with the competence of the doctor (although I know that there are some really bad ones out there, how hard can the procedure be to perform, really?) and more to do with what is going on with our individual bodies and with our expectations.  With proper preparation (definitely including PAIN MEDICATIONS), there isn't a whole lot that women can't handle (I believe there's a reason why God chose the women to have the babies instead of the wimpy men)!  Which is why it's so sadly ironic that so many male doctors seem to expect their patients to endure at their hands what there is no way they would be able to handle themselves!!
Wow....I  must be pretty storng...i have had no chldren , 47 and in good shape.. i stopped my period 14 months ago and my period started back 3 weeks ago.. and it is a period and i kept trying to tell the Doc... she said it was NOT a period at all... how does she know??.. just cuz  of the 12 month rule... is the 12 month rule with no period mean post menopausal  for every human.. ? ......... i know my body....... any way i went in for a paps smear 7 days ago and no pain at all then she said let me do a quick endo biopsy i said ok go ahead. a few minutes later.... it did pinch and i had to sing through the process out loud ( I sing ) of course the nurse laughed at me.. but the pain sucked with bad cramps.... wow..... and then i cramped and then she said oh lets do an ultrasound next i said ok... but i felt like i was put through the ringer... having within one hour------ a paps, then the endo biopsy (which i did not like) and then the transvaginal ultrasound.... wow that was alot... at one time... the ultrasound looked good but do not know other results as of yet.... i think not all doctors know everything (like when i had my period) ... sometimes you have to tell them what you think... and in most of my cases i have been correct about my body... lol
My question is this (in case you want to skip the rest): Has anyone every refused an endometrial biopsy?

I had an EMB about 2 years ago with no pain meds, not even OTC. It was VERY painful, I yelled "stop you're torturing me!!!" as they (doctor and trainee doctor) were getting the sample. Reason for EMB was suspicious cells on Pap smear, but the EMB showed everything normal. I probably had the pap smear too soon after my period.

Back in May I went off Nuva-Ring, and did not have a period in June. I went on Climara pro, but the patch gave me a rash, so switched to prempro, but I got bad breast pain. So I went of that, but just as I started to taper off, I had what I think was a light period (same duration, same characteristics as period, only very light). Well, when I told my Gyn that, she diagnosed me with postmenopausal bleeding (I'm 52 but my periods hadn't stopped til I went off Nuva Ring). Got a vaginal ultrasound that showed my endometrium was 2mm thicker than the cutoff that would've spared me another EMB.
So when my EMB was ordered, I asked for pain meds. I was offered option of 800mg ibuprofen or narcotics and stupidly opted for the former. The EMB was incredibly painful, and doc could not get the instrument into my uterus. So she gave me option of D&C or another EMB but after taking cytotec to help open the cervix. I chose the latter, just to get out of the office. HORRIBLE cramps for a couple of hours after, and I was barely able to function at work.

Thinking about my case, I have decided to refuse the EMB and the D&C. I am extremely angry at the doctor -- she told me I HAD to go on hormones after coming off nuva ring or else I'd have TERRIBLE hot flashes. Well, I have not had a single one, nor have I had any other adverse symptom of menopause. She doesn't even know whether I'm post-menopausal or not; she's just being cautious, but she's not the one on the table for the procedures. I AM.

Would like to hear from other people who might have made a similar decision.
I know what you are talking about.  I had one couple years ago and it hurts so bad that the patients in he waiting room heard me.  I know have to get another one so my Dr. give me misoprostol to take.
I had an endometrial biopsy about 3 weeks ago due to abnormal uterine bleeding (I've been bleeding for over two months straight).  My doctor had me take 800mg of ibuprofen three times the day before the procedure and once the morning of.  Actually since my appointment wasn't until about 2:30 I took the last dose of ibuprofen about an hour and a half before the procedure so it would still be in my system.  I was very nervous about it.  The pinch as she was opening the cervix was the most painful part.  It did hurt, but I wouldn't say it was excruciating.  I never felt the need to cry out.  After that came the extraction of tissue.  It's a twisting of the instrument that gathers the tissue.  That felt like a bad cramp.  That happened 3 times.  Another strong pinch when the clamp on the cervix was taken off.  That was it.  Afterwards, my bleeding was actually a bit less than it had been. I wasn't really crampy.  I felt more sort of bruised.  It was definitely more comfortable to recline or lie down than sit.  I took it easy that night and the next day, but after that I was completely fine.  Except for the bleeding that's been ongoing.  I am scheduled for an ablation soon.

I would absolutely insist on some sort of ibuprofen or something before this procedure.  
Thank you for your post. Most women on this forum say that the endometrial biopsy is very painful. You say it's bearable. I'm scheduled to have this procedure later on this week and I'm concerned. I've been advised to take 2 misoprostol 200 mg 4 hours before the procedure and to take 2 advils, 200 milligrams each. Anyway, thank you for posting your
comments. I'm still a little worried, but not as worried as before.
The single thing you should take away from this forum is that the experience can be mild, or it can be excruciating. It has nothing to do with one's pain tolerance or pain threshold, and it probably doesn't have a lot to do with the skill of the doctor.
I DO think that being prepared in advance that it can be incredibly painful and taking painkillers (I wasn't and I didn't) actually has a lot more to do with whether the experience is mild or horrifying than anything else does. Just because one person inappropriately and rudely dismissed others' experiences doesn't make her right, and it certainly doesn't make her an expert. I encourage you to prepare for yours in any way that you can, to take painkillers, and to ask your doctor for any tips that can help ease the procedure. Taking one person's presumptive, inaccurate proclamation that it simply isn't painful is very foolish. I hope that yours was NOT painful, but that doesn't change the FACT that for many women, it is.
It's not a moral failing; it's not a pain threshold issue. It's an experience and is therefore unique to every single person who has it. Choosing to treat one person's experience as factual and others as fallacy is pretty darned foolish, however.
Actually, from what you wrote, your doctor did help you to prepare for yours, which is better than what mine did. I do hope it went well and was pain-free.
I had my biopsy done today. My experience was very bad. It hurt like all h***, I screamed and cried. I became clammy and very hot. They had to remove my shirt and cover me with cold wahs rags and used alcohol swabs to cool me down. I became flushed and my lips turned bluish purple. I almost passed out several times, and became very nauseas. They had to help me into the bathroom when I sat having loose stool for about 35 min. They said it was a rare reaction but they have seen it before in women. I felt very weak and had to be rolled out in a wheel chair to our car. Thank God my husband went because I have no idea what the specialist was saying I was in too much pain. It is about 6 hours since the procedure and I have some minor pressure and cramping but feel much better. You women who have gone through this and came out fine y'all are soldiers.
What a relief to read these stories.... I thought I was just overly sensitive.  It really did hurt and I am not a wuss.  Slight discomfort my fanny!!!!

I was supposed to have an endometrial biopsy a few years ago.  The doctor assured me that while uncomfortable it wasn't much different than a pap smear.  Yeah right!  When they tried to insert the tube though the cervix, the pain was so sharp and deep  that I became instantly nauseous and nearly vomited on the nurse. My cervix is not centered so they had to grab it and turn it to insert the tube...  

They tried again with the same results. At which point,  I refused to go through with the procedure to which they said, well we could do a vaginal untrasound...  

And I shouted, what the hell were you thinking in doing this procedure when there is a NON INVASIVE one that will provide answers to your questions?  

Now some 5 years later, much to my dismay, I discovered some spotting and I am dreading a another go round.  My plan is to find a nice doctor who will knock me out for a few minutes...  Thanks for sharing ladies.... it has validated my response to this.  And I agree with the many who have stated that the doctors and nurses are NOT accurate in their description of possible pain levels in this process.  
I had an endometrial biopsy today. Thank you to all who posted. My Dr informed me that it would be very painful but it only last 15 sec and "you can endure anything for 15 second right?" She said, one lady said never again, then she said I could do it. after these comments, I researched this and saw all the comments here. I also researched this on medical sites for peer review articles. here's what i found out.  My dr uses a device which collects multiple samples from multiple sites  for 15 seconds. This is the best for ruling out cancer since it gets all locations. it is used commonly by many doctors and is called vabra aspiration. some doctors collect only one small sample from one location and this may be why some biopsies are less painful. my doctor does lots of biopsies so she is good at it. I decided to have her do this procedure, but, I insisted on Valium, lortab, cytotec (to dilate the cervix) and I also,took aleve. I took  400 mg cytotec the night before and 100 mg the day of the procedure and getting the device in my uterus was so easy, even though I have never had a vaginal delivery.  I also insisted on intra uterine lidocaine. After she inserted 5cc of lidocaine gel, she waited 5 min. For it to work. Make sure to wait these 5 minutes.  There was no pain, only slight pressure even when she took the biopsy. I think she was surprised I had no pain. Please ask your doctor for these meds. Btw. The cost for the meds was very minimal after my insurance. I think I paid $5 after insurance for all this. Please ask for this! I am so thankful for the prayers  of my church family and for the medications that made this procedure painfree!
This is crazy.  Way to scare the crap out of people who MAY DIE if they do not get this test.  I am one such woman.  I am 48 yo.  Have 3 kids and now after no period for 3 years, I got one.  Had ultra sound now they want biopsy.  Came on here to see what people say.  See some lawyer talk about "Post tramatic stress" and how she is messed up because of this test.

Ladies - who the hell cares if it hurts - YOU COULD DIE WITHOUT IT!!!!! Do you get that?  Get the test if you need it.  IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!!!
I had 2 labor plus C-section births at ages 33 and 37.  I am now 66 and had been bleeding for 5 days. My female OB/GYN wanted to do an endometrial biopsy. I also have a large fibroid benign tumor.  The morning of the procedure my doctor had me take 1 Cytotec/Misoprostol 200mcg tab to dilate the cervix, plus 4 - 200mg Advil in case there was cramping.  There was no cramping.
Then that afternoon, 1 hour before my appointment I was instructed to take 4 more 200mg Advil. First I had a uterine sonogram to check the benign tumor, look for polyps and measure the thickness of the endometrium. I was told the endometrium should be less than 5mm thick.  Mine was 2mm, which the tech said was good. The sonogram did not hurt at all and there was no discomfort. For the biopsy I was told I would feel a pinch.  That was not true.  I felt about 4 large hard pinches and 2 "hurt like hell" feelings that took several moments to complete.  I held still but started to sweat, and moaned. The female doctor apologized to me and was very caring. I am grateful I had all that Advil in me.  I did bleed and spot a little for about 2 days, but did not have much discomfort or any pain after the procedure was done.  I took my husband along as a designated driver.  The pain meds made me dizzy. I am glad the test was done to see if I have cancer. The doctors office will call in a day or 2 to let me know the results of the tests.
I had one 14 years ago and it was unbearably painful.  Now, at 66 without having given birth and significant atropy, I cannot believe how difficult it is to find a gyn who will give me pain meds or meds for conscious sedation.  What is the reluctance of the medical community to protect women from this kind of unnecessary pain???!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi everyone! I read these comments yesterday as I was googling for information about the endometrial biopsy that I had scheduled for this morning.  After reading some of y'alls painful experiences I was TERRIFIED of the procedure!!  So, I thought I'd come back and report on how mine went.  Long story short, my doctor answered all my questions and really put me at ease beforehand.  My procedure was not "painful" at all.  There was about 10 seconds of an uncomfortable feeling...but it wasn't bad.  I promise! He used a numbing spray and then an instrument called a Tao Brush. He says that the Tao Brush causes less pain than the traditional methods.  Ask your doctor for the numbing spray and that "Tao Brush"!  It will go smoother than you think!
I just had an appointment where my dr suggested an endometrial biopsy due to heavy and irregular bleeding (perimenopause).  After reading sites such as this and in talking with family and friends, I've decided to have it done as an outpatient procedure under anesthesia.  I've never had children and have anxiety and just know how much pain I could be in, i'm willing to put if off until I can be sedated.  
Regardless of whether one's doctor uses a Tao brush, the procedure can be mild or extremely painful.

What irks me the most about mine is that the sole reason mine was done was because my doctor put me on the lowest-estrogen form of birth control pill available, which did not provide me with enough estrogen to sustain my uterine lining. As a result, I spotted constantly. There is LITERALLY a flow chart that gynecologists use that says "is patient 40+" and if so, says to perform an endometrial biopsy. My biopsy was completely normal and was only performed because my doctor was checking a box in a flow chart.

Contrary to what a few (e.g. wendysayswtf) of the women posting here seem to think is the case, not all endometrial biopsies are done for a genuinely good reason, not all of them "save your life", and not all of them are free of excruciating pain and trauma.

While I appreciate that for many women, the procedure isn't bad, it is not for us to say whether another person's experience is valid or not. I have an extremely high pain threshold and pain tolerance- I didn't even notice when I separated my shoulder, nor when I herniated a disc in my spine. I am no weakling, no cry baby, no shrinking violet, and no stranger to pain, and none of that changes the fact that my endometrial biopsy was one of the most painful, scarring experiences of my life. SHAME on anybody who belittles others for pain they experienced; consider yourself lucky you didn't have the same experience.
Shame on YOU for belittling other people's experiences. You got lucky; yours wasn't bad. Be grateful for that and don't take others to task for something they experienced that you have not.
My endometrial biopsy 8 years ago was one of the worst experiences of my life.  I was literally screaming, I'm sure they heard me way down the hall.  The operating table was covered in blood and I continued to bleed very heavily for three days.

I was 53 at the time and have never given birth.  I had no preparation of any kind, not even an Advil.  The doc had a hard time forcing that rod through my cervix.  When she stopped trying, I thought good, it's over, only to have her tell me that she never even got in. When it WAS finally over, the doc walked out of the room and I just lay there alone in a pool of blood, sobbing my heart out.    

Saying it's like a bad pap smear is ridiculous; there is no comparison.  I could talk on the phone while having a pap smear and no one would be the wiser.  However that endometrial biopsy was so bad that I will never have another unless I am OUT.

I should add that I had shoulder surgery the previous year and the nurse went to great lengths to tell me how to deal with the post-op pain.  But I never even used the pain pills they sent me home with.  

I hate that docs lie about the pain of this procedure.  I suspect they think that it’s all in our minds and that if they just tell us it won’t hurt, then, hey, it won’t hurt!  So I wasn’t expecting it at all.  

I have had some watery discharge so am going to see my ob-gyn and do this again. But this time I will insist on anesthesia.  

Five years ago I did have an endometrial biopsy when I was 51 and it was uncomfortable, but bearable, and my regular doc could get in to get the sample.  Unfortunately now that I'm older, 56, it's more complicated, requiring that  I take cytotec and insist on a pain pill, etc.I had to ask my Gyno for a pain pill that I could take before having my endometrial biopsy scheduled for today.  She and her nurse acted like I was a wuss for asking for one, but I don't care.  I have read the stories here and what's the harm in taking a pill for pain?  She prescribed hydrocodone-acetaminophen.  I hope it will be strong enough.  I had to insist on it, though.  My regular doctor tried, but was not able, to do the EB at my regular check-up a few months ago.  It hurt like hell and she couldn't get past the cervix because I am older now, so I'm going to this OB/Gyn lady doc today to have it done.  I always thought lady docs would be more understanding and usually that's true, but I've had two lady Gynos that seem less than compassionate about pain so I'm starting to rethink my theory on that. If I have to do more than this EB today I will find another doc if this lady won't work with me.  I do not want a hysterectomy.  I want to go on progesterone to thin my uterine lining which is 12 mm thick.  I will let you all know how it goes.    I will post about my experience after it's done today.  Not looking forward to it.  I can definitely say that.  :(
Ladies, I just had an  "Endometrial Biopsy" today 2-12-15,  and let me tell you...... it was HORRIBLE! I hope to GOD I never need one ever again. I do not understand how doctors are allowed to perform this without putting you out. All I can say........ pain killers before and after.  God Bless!
Sorry for the pain you endured! Hopefully, the results show that all is fine or at least nothing more than hyperplasia which is usually curable with hormonal medication. So many women have unnecessary hysterectomies. I did and have nothing but regrets and more regrets. Let us know what you find out. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is nothing serious.
I am thankful to have found your post.  I feel like EVERYONE else has had less painful experiences than what I went through.  I described it as back labor pain and that is what I googled to find this thread.  This was my second biopsy and the worst even though the doctor is very experienced.  Obviously I wouldnt know what back labor feels like if I didnt experience it (21 years ago).  Maybe that is why this procedure was so bad, maybe something about my body.  If I have to do this again I will pay for anesthesia if they let me.  
I am having the biopsy this week and am scared to death!!  Sounds painful and I am a chicken - I have high pain tolerance BUT a chicken!!!
I had my endometrial biopsy done couple of days ago.  Since the doctor could not find my cerivx she had asked me to use 2 Misoprostol pills (which is usually given to pregnant people to help them give birth) 3 hours before the precedure.  I was also asked to take one Hydrocodine medication before the procedure -which I did. The procedure itself was really painful and it took half an hour.

I have never given birth before. However, few hours after my endometrial biopsy I started having a lot of pain.  I  felt like I was giving birth to a 3 headed alien baby without any anesthesia.

P.S better give 911 a heads up to come and take you to the ER after the procedure. That is exactly what happened to me!
P.S. I don't want dissuade women who need this procedure done. Hopefully they have a better experience then me.

If I have to do it again I will. But next time I will make sure to do it in the hospital.