Extreme bloating with abdominal and lower back pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

For the past year I've been having problems with extreme bloating. I had a colonoscopy done which revealed that I have internal hemorrhoids. I was given treatment for the hemorrhoids and told to take acidophilus for the bloating. Unfortunately, the symptoms persist and they get worse during my menstrual periods. Now I'm experiencing abdominal pain and lower back pain along with the bloating. I have an appointment with my OB/GYN in three weeks and I'm hopeing that he can give me the proper diagnosis. There are days that I wake up with a flat stomache and start getting bloated as the day progresses. The bloating gets so bad, I even look pregnant.
Tags: extreme, abdominal, Health, hemorrhoids, s, Back Pain, back pain, Reproductive Health, Women, Pain, Womens Health
Hi!  I have the same problem, but no diagnosis yet.  But, in addition to your acidophilus, try also taking garlic pills.  They work wonders for bloating!!!  I take all 3 pills at one time, but they recommend 1 pill 3x's/day.  When I don't take my garlic pills, I definitly feel the difference-major bloating. I use the odorless garlic pills.  Don't want that garlic breath! ;)  Yeah, I feel like I look 6 months pregnant w/my bloating, so I understand where you're coming from! Good luck at your appt, hope you find some answers.
Thanks a lot for the info. I will get the garlic pills first thing tomorrow. I will keep you posted and thank you for your well wishes.
I just wanted to thank you for the info you gave me the other day. I got the garlic pills today and I didn't get bloated as badly as I usually do. Usually by the time I go to bed I'm extremely bloated and I am not bloated tonight. I feel great!!! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Just wanted to let you know that I still feel great!!! No bloating! Thank God and Thank you.
I have been going through the same thing for a year. I had all the OB tests done. Internal and external ultrasounds.......they turned up fine. I had a test for UTI and it was negative. I have bloating so bad that my ribs in front feel like they are digging right in to the bloated abdomin (abdomen). I don't eat much so I dont understand it. I have back pain also. Have you found anything out? Ive been taking the physician formula probitics for almost a year. ....no help. Any help would be appreciated.
Your symptoms sound so much like mine. A couple of mo. ago I saw a gastro doc. and they did a colonoscopy which revealed nothing of concern. A month ago he sent me for a CAT scan to see if there was anything there, but there wasn't. They did however tell me about an enlarged uterus. My pain has been going on for over a year along with constipation. It can hurt so bad I have to grab pillows and stuff them around my stomach with heating pad and go to bed. Many times I wake up with pain and extreme bloating. Is it possible that the enlarged uterus is causing all of this? I've taken probotics, enzymes, citrucel, gas pills etc.. and nothing ever works long term.
I will be seeing a gyn. soon, but wondered if anyone else has experienced these symptoms.

I have the same symptoms all of you have but I had two C-sections and have a large flap of skin hanging on top of the bloated stomach.  I can't wait to get a tummy tuck.  I feel like I have another ten pound baby inside my stomach all the time.  I am going to take garlic pills today and tommorrow I will be going for massage therapy and accupuncture.  I will let all of you know the outcome.  I bet my uterus is enlarged too because I had two babies over ten pounds.  Maybe, we all have enlarged uterus syndrome and that is why we are always bloated.
I realize this is bit of an old post but I am wondering if you ever resolved your issue. I too have hemorrhoids and pain and bloating. Not sure if they are tied together or totally separate issues but curious what you found out.
i am curious if this was resolved for anyone as well.
similarities are that i do have at least one external hemrrhoid, but it is not excruciatingly painful or anything like that. bothers sometimes, most often not. i'm noticing bloating of course when i have PMS, but i have been noticing a trend lately that has called for a bit of concern. albeit kind of odd to be honest.
i have always bloated easily with eating carbs etc... and my weight fluctuates a lot compared to most ppl, so i am used to that. however i'm noticing that about the time of ovulation each month that i start off w/ a nearly insatiable sex drive that i certainly do not have the rest of the month. after about 3 or 4 days of that, i feel that my abdomen is very heavy like it was when i was very pregnant. i get very bloated, its uncomfortable and sometimes slightly painful. i notice a dull pain in my lower back and i am one that can feel ovulation as i've always had ovarian cysts. i try gas medications to no avail even though i feel gassy and that is not ever a problem any other time. it is JUST this time of the month and i've noted the exact same trend for 4-5 months now. this will last for a couple of days then i got back to being the same old regular me.
what i find so odd about this, the feeling of heaviness etc... is that i had a total hysterectomy a little over a year ago. obviously i still have my ovaries but everything else was removed. i loathe to have to speak to a dr. about bowels and such, but am to the point of concern where i may have to subject myself to such. obviously not a lot of internal checking can be done here from the ob/gyn so i prefer not to think about the rest. i just feel like i have a basketball in my stomach for a few days with a lot of pressure all through out my abdomen, dull back pain, random sharp pains in my lower abdomen and overall discomfort. then it's gone.
am going to try some garlic pills though. off to the store just now!
hopefully someone can chime in with any answers???
I have been on the same tip kooloo...I have that insatiable sex drive, and then I'm bloated with a migraine/headache and neck and back pain for several days starting when I ovulate till I get my period, and then it all evens out again. I eat well and have been excercising, I drink lots of water, but it doesn't help. It is so bad that I can't close my pants. I had my daughter 6 years ago and feel like my horomonse haven't been the same since.  My skin breaks out badly right around the time as the heavy bloating. I've had my thyroid checked and my horomone levels and everythign was fine. I had an utra=sound and also nothing. I will try the garlic pills cuz two people above said it helped, whereas nothing else is or did. Sigh, why did Eve have to eat that darn apple :)  lol
Hi Everyone,
I've read all of your posts and it sounds a lot like what I experienced when I had endometriosis, an ovarian cyst, and an enlarged uterus. The pain would just become so severe in my back that I couldn't stand it.  I went to the emergency room during one particularly bad bout and it was there that they found that I had a large cyst on my ovary (about the size of a grapefruit!).  I ended up getting a total hysterectomy and I cannot tell you how much better I have been.  The hysterectomy has so far been the best decision I have made (I had it 9 months ago).  My complaint now is that I still get bloating and the pain radiates to my back when it happens.  I will try the garlic pills to see if this helps.  For all of you with these symptoms who still have a uterus/ovaries, I would talk to my OB/Gyn about endometriosis.  Good luck to you all.
I noticed this old post as I am frustrated that I can not figure out what is going on with my body. For almost the last year I have had an intermittent dull ache in my lower back, the very full feeling, bloating and loud gas with occasional constipation. This usually happens monthly around the time that ovulation would occur. The symptoms seem worse at night. It makes sleeping a challenge at times. I also get muscle/body aches in my back and neck that sometimes require a heating pad. I am happy we have a hot tub because that seems to help the muscle pain a lot. I have had two c-sections. After the first birth, by abdomen seemed normal. But after the second, I have always had that pregnant looking bulge that I can not get rid of. Both of my children were on the large side, with the first being over 9 lbs. and the second just under (delivered a couple weeks early). I am of normal weight (my dad's side of the family has this strange trend of having very large babies, and these are not large women having them). I have just had a visit to my OBGYN and had an internal and external ultrasound done. Nothing came up abnormal, but I certainly do not feel normal. I don't know what to do next. My doctor said to not worry because I don't have cancer or anything and that it is just one of those things that happens with age. I am only turning 40 next year. Sheesh! Maybe I need a female doctor who can relate a little better. I guess I'll be getting a second opinion next, but based on my research, I don't see a lot of women getting answers on this problem. If anyone has any new information, I'd be glad to hear it. Good luck ya'll.
Are you eating any kind of sugar substitute (i.e. splenda, xylitol, ect.)  No/low calorie sugar substitutes have sugar alcohols that cause SEVERE gas and bloating, and other symptoms such as low back pain result from there.  Read lables -- many items that say "no sugar added" or "low carb" use an artificial sweetener.  Instead of drinking several diet drinks per day, drink one real one.  Instead of eating a bag of sugar fee candy, eat 1-2 pieces of real candy.  Not only will your GI issues resolve, but you will have less sweet/carb cravings, feel healthier overall, and probably lose weight (sounds backwards, but I swear it's true).  
Did you ever find any answers to your problem. I have been having similar issues for 2 years and I am 42.