Fingers and arms tingling/ arm pain! HELP!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Good morning ladies! Here is my issue! For the past 3 days I have had TERRIBLE tingling and numbness in my fingertips and it goes all the way up to my elbow sometimes. I have even had it go up to my shoulder on the right side. The right side is worse but it does happen in both arms. It is worse when I am sleeping but does happen other times during the day. My right arm now feels constantly weak! I am in pain at times. I know some tingling/numbness is normal.... but is it supposed to happen like this where it actually makes me miserable and not be able to sleep?
I had carpal tunnel in my late teens, and my fingertips, wrist and lower arm up to my elbow was numb and throbbed.  That may be what it is.  Now, I had a friend who had the same symptoms, and it was a nerve problem. Good Luck!
Do you type a lot or do any other kind of repeditive work? It could be carple tunel. I don't know a lot about it, but it might be worth looking into. Hope this helps.
I am also 23 weeks prego.... I don't know if this changes anything. I do some typing but not a lot.
My friend has a thing in her wrist that causes her to do that. I can't remember what it's called and definatly couldn't spell it. It's something like ganglian ..... Does anybody else know what i'm talkin about????
do you have problems with your blood pressure?
I watched a Mother/baby tv programme once and they said it can be caused by preg. That said i had carpel tunnel(i was  not preg) and it only affects certain fingers,mainly the thumb and the next 1 and half of the middle finger. You have what they call the median(i think) nerve that travels through the lots of little bones in the wrist. During preg and r.s.i fluid can collect causing pressure on the nerve. I used to have to hang and swing my arm over the side of the bed when it woke me  at night. It also affects your grip.They do nerve study tests and then depending on results, offer an op, which releases the nerve.I had the op about 6 yrs ago and have not had the problem since.I can see where its getting you down(not enough sleep) as this as well as preg can make you very weepy(hormones i think)but have a chat with you doc they may be able to offer another solution other than surgery. Good luck.
well if all health is good you can invest in those wrist gaurds. it has a slim metal shaft that keeps the wrist from bending in your sleep. i do that and wake up with numb hands. it is a possibility. you should get a massage. the nerves that come out of the spine down the shoulder sometimes get compressed by tight muscles. just a couple of the easier ways to try!
My blood pressure is fine, I just checked it. All I know is I haven't slept in about 4 days. I am miserable. My right arm feels so weak! I was reading that being prego can cause carpal tunnel and if it is bad enough to keep you up at night(which mine is) than I might need to see a specialist. I just want to go home and cry that is how miserable I am!
have you called your gyn's office to see it's true that pregnancy can cause this?  could you have a pinched nerve somewhere?
I think that pregnancy can do that, because of the added pressure to the joints.  I hope for your case that is what it is.
I, on the other hand, and having some real issues with the same thing.  Both hands go numb..tingle, whatever, while I'm sleeping, while I'm putting on makeup, while I'm doing my hair, any time when my limbs are basically raised above my heart level.  I'm also having the same issue with my feet, when I sit at the computer (which rarely happens, lol).  My feet start to tingle.  I "thought" it was because I have a pinched nerve in my back, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's something more serious.  It's getting worse.  I do see a chiropractor, and he thinks its related to back injury because he can see it on my xray.  I don't know. What do ya'll think?
I think its Carpel tunel syndrome.Iget pain in my left wrist and numbness in my fingers as pms.I was told by a doc that if u have carpel tunel then the symptoms r very prominent during pms,pregnancy tc.I ont think its anything to worry abt.A wrist band would be a good idea.Else u can use a hot water bag or a light massage in the area.Wish u good luck and hope u feel well soon.