Folic Acid Eases Menstral Pains?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Folic Acid Eases Menstral Pains?

I usually have cramps the first day or two of my cycle. The pain is usually uncomfortable and I sometimes have to vomit. I was talking to a friend and she said to go on birth conrtol - I said I did not want to do that.

so she suggest I take folic acid, 400mcg, which is a daily vitamin suggested for women. I tried it, and to be honest, my monthly cramps subsided tremendously. I sometimes get my period in the early hours of the morning and the pain usually disrupts my sleep, but with this folic acid, I feel so much better and sleep through the night. I mean, I get cramps, but they are so much milder now. And I'm so happy for that!!

Has anyone experienced this? I can't say I take them every day, however, I would say I take them 20 out of the 30 days (along with a multivitamin.) And I guess it helps my fertility as well...
Avatar dr f tn
How are you? Folic acid is used for preventing and treating low blood levels of folic acid as well as prevent miscarriage and neural tube defects in women who are pregnant or might become pregnant. It is involved in producing the DNA and in numerous other bodily functions. And according to some articles, it can indeed act as a painkiller in high doses, though more studies may need to be done. Take care and  hope everything is well. Do keep us posted and best regards.
AnnieBrooke busy, busy, busy Comment
AnnieBrooke commented on Cindy's status
MH Community Mgr uploaded new photos
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals