Foul menstrual blood odor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Foul menstrual blood odor

I have never noticed much of an odor with my period, up until last month and now today.  It is absolutely revolting!!!  The blood has gone from being a lightish red to a deepish red-brown and it's kinda gooey and ickey.  I have not experienced many vaginal infections of any type in my life (I'm 38), so I'm very concerned about this smell.  I tried using the 3-day Monostat, but it appears to not have worked.  I'm really scared about this abrupt change in the odor.  On top of it all, I don't have any health insurance.  What should I do about this?  I can't risk getting naked with my man because the smell is literally that bad.  
Go to a clinic like Planned Parenthood.  They have a sliding rate scale.  It could be a bacterial infection, in which Monistat won't help you.
Thank you!  What a relief to get that as an automatic answer instead of.....the dreaded c word.  I shall take care of it.  I'm assuming one would have to wait until the period is over before going in or not?
If the problem is odor with your period, go when you have it.  I wouldn't wait.  If they want to see you after your period, they will tell you so.  If they don't tell you so, ask.
gd day sir my name is francisca i also have the same problem as annie mine is that any time am on the blood gushes out to nuch that i use 2-3 tampoons a day and the odor of the blood is just badddd
i need your help
I went to the doctor and I have a bacterial infection.  I'm taking these revolting antibiotics, but they are taking care of the problem.  I would recommend that you go to a doctor or clinic as soon as possible as you don't want the problem to escalate and get out of hand.  Good luck.
I experienced an increase in mentrual blood smell and a darker color in my early 40's...I thought it was part of pre-menopausal effects.  Then I learned that I had heavy metal toxicity.  Years of eatingout of cans, drinking tap water and taking antibiotics for all my ailments caused it. Once I detoxed my body, not only did the odor and dark color go away, but I no longer have pms or pain during my cycle!  I feel better all the way around.  Juice fasting and eating fruits and veggies for a few weeks will clear your mind, your body and is the way our ancestors used to take care of illness.  Stay away from antibiotics if you can.  
I have been searching the web too for any help determining why I have such a horribly strong odor to my menstral blood.  I have been getting steriod shots in my neck and it has really messed up my periods and this is the first time I have had any mentstral odor.  I have started eating yogurt.  That always seams lto be a  suggested home remedy for vaginal problems.  I am too embarrased to call the doctor.  I hope someone can tell us if this will run its course, and if not, why is it so important to get to a doctor right away.
I am 51 and still having my period.  I have always been normal and on time each month all of these years...until this month.  My flow was very light and also dark reddish-brown in color with an odor.

Never has this happened before.

The only thing I have done different in these last few weeks was started drinking Glacier Water 10.  This is a water with Stevia in it.  I normally do not drink anything but water.  No soft drinks...just water with lemon.

I did some checking and saw that there was some older research where Stevia affected the reproductive system in lab animals.  I stopped the beverages immediately.  I will monitor this and see if things are different next month.

I do not know if you have made any changes to your diet lately, but if you are ingesting Stevia...you may want to look at it as a potential culprit.

No Stevia for me ever again!
I am 42 (and married) and went to the clinic approximately 3 weeks ago because of a fishy odor I had. They ran all of the STD tests and told me they were negative. However I had vaginosis and gave me an antibiotic "Flagyl". Withing days the smell was gone. However I am now on my period and the blood has a very strong, almost soured smell. Is there any chance I have the same problem again?
I'm married, 39yrs old and have a child of 7.  I had a week of really smelly discharge but didn't have time to see a doctor so I bought some canisten with oral capsule thinking it was 'only thrush'. Now I have my period and the smell is so bad it's making me feel sick, the only way to describe the smell is that it is like a dirty nappy, it's terrible.  I feel like everyone around me must be able to smell it because it is so strong. I have a mirena coil so usually don't bleed much, but there has been more this time. I have also had swine flu in the past 2 weeks and a chest infection so had anti biotics for the chest infection which I thought would have cleared up any infection 'down there'.  Can anyone offer any advice please, its driving me mad!
I stopped taking the last 7 days of my b-control pill so I wouldn't get it when I went on vacation. I still ended up getting it and this time it caused the fishy smell. I never had this issue before so I freaked out.  I doushed even though I was on my period and called the doctor for Diflucan (yeast infection pill). This cleared me up.
I had a foul odor yesterday and today and went to the OBGYN.  Surprise surprise, she found an extra tampon inside.  Ugh!  I was mortified.  Make sure, if you are using two tampons for a heavy flow or just under a lot of stress and thus perhaps forgetful, that you have taken everything out.  
I am 21 and have RA and ever since I havestarted the treatments I have noticed darker blood and a unpleasant odor with it. Could this be because of all the medication I have to take and of my immune system being so low? I have asked the doctors about the situation and have not done anything to help me. What should I do?
I have been experiencing a really bad smelling period. HOwever, i am on antiobics for an abscess in my mouth and have realised that the smell has gone? I am sure this is not a coinscidence.
However, if i had an infection, should my husband get checked?
i also had a foul brown coloration in my period and i also had a tampon stuck up there...it was really REALLY embarrassing....but turns out it's actually pretty common...most of the time when that happens you develop bacteria vaginosis, i got antibiotics from the OBGYN took it for a week and was fine!
I have a really weird problem... I have been on my menstral period for about 7 weeks now and I have been to my doctor twice and have been on two different bouts of Hormone therapy....neither of which worked and my doctor is sending me to an OBGYN next week. but I just noticed the other day a horrible smell and its really gross...I don't know if it is a result of being on my period for so long that i got a bacterial infection on top of it all but I am really scared about going to the doctor.... I don't know whats wrong.... and the week seems so long...
Just so you all know if you do have a bacterial infection you should get antibiotics for your boyfriends too. If you developed it and then slept with your boyfriends then they can give it back to you. Also, the treatment takes away all bacteria (good and bad,) so it will come back in about 3 months if you do not eat correctly. Take folic acid and acidophilus pills to keep from getting a yeast infection and replenish the good bacteria. Also, try to limit your sugars during this time. Greek yogurt is also good.
I noticed my menstrual blood was darker and smelled really bad this period. It's so gross and super embarrassing. Sex wise I have been with the same partner for over a year, and we are monogamous. He is not circumcised. We recently switched to condoms because  I was warned other medications I am on for headaches could make my birth control less effective.  I was just on antibiotics two weeks ago for a sinus infection. My mom has a history of endomitriosis. Any suggestions? I'm trying to get in at my health clinic to get checked out but they won't call me back!!!!
I yanked out my tampon earlier to examine it to determine how heavy my flow was and noticed the blood was a copper color.  I wondered if it even WAS blood.  Anyway, the smell wasn't BAD, but it WAS different!  Also, my period was nearly a week late and my cramps have been GODAWFUL!  Does anyone know what's up?
Hi ladies,
I have the same odour problem...been going on for months and months and I've been traveling so haven't looked into it.  I'm a naturalist though, never take antibiotics and only go to the doctor for the occasional PAP...I'm headed to the clinic soon, so I'll let you know what they tell me.  

Personally I have studied Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture for over three years and it is the BEST medicine for any gynecological problems.  If you're over bleeding or smelling funny I would check it out to rule out something nasty and then go to your nearest Acupuncturist and TCM Herbalist.  Over bleeding can be stopped sometimes with the first treatment (but you should continue for a while to make sure your body is rebalanced).

With acupuncture you will likely be able to cure what you have WITHOUT antibiotics and your system will not be raped of all it's healthy bacteria, thus your body will not be exposed to all the other nasty things out there you can catch by killing all the defense mechanisms in your body...I really really do not recommend anti-biotics as they're just so very harsh for your body...even most bladder infections and lung infections can be cured with gentler Chinese Herbal Medicine.
Thank you, realhumans!!!
I had a forgotten tampon inside me...I'm so glad you commented on here!!
Thank you!!!!!!
Go to the doctore for BV ladies.....I have had it since I was atleast 11 maybe younger. My vagina is just unable to regulate the bacteria down the to I get it reccurently. BV BV BV= Bacterial Vaginosis

Can cause-

Odor
Sexual Pain
Cramping
Itchiness among other things! Antibiotics and its gone! TAKE THEM ALL!
Go to the Dr. and get it checked out!  I am not a Dr. person...per say.  I am all about home remedy whenever possible.  However, this same thing happened to me--I started smelled an incredibly foul odor towards the end of my period, the blood turned darker red and I knew I would be ending my period soon.  I initially thought the smell would end with my period...but nope!  So I hopped on the internet to find answers.  I "self diagnosed" a bacterial infection, douched with colloidal silver (a natural antibiotic) for a while, and on the third day of TERRIBLE, revolting smell, called the Dr. in desperation.  Turns out, there was a tampon that I left in--sounds dumb, especially since I've had 4 kids and usually even the largest tampons fall out when I sneeze, but the Dr. said it happens all the time.  They get lodged behind the cervix and kinked up, the string wiggles inside and you never know it's there...can stay for weeks.  So I highly recommend getting checked out.  If it turns out to be bacterial, then take your antibiotic prescription from the Dr. and go to the health food store instead. (if you prefer)  But you never know...I sure didn't.
help
I have this same odor-on my period and after sex. My doctor told me that it's a ph imbalance. In other words, anything that goes in there will affect the ph. Of course, you want to get tested for STDs first. If you test negative for STDs, then you can try yogourt. It saved my life. The odor was so bad, I could have smelled up an entire room. Use about a teaspoon of yogourt, and with your fingers, apply it directly into your vagina as far up as you can go. You should then be good for the day. Do this daily until the odor goes away. Once yogourt is applied, the smell goes away instantly. Must be natural yogourt with live cultures. Although I once tried regular natural yogourt in another country, and it worked just fine. Yogourt kills bad bacteria; where your gyno will probably prescribe anti-biotics even though you tested negative for STDs. Problen with anti-biotics, they kill good and bad bacteria.
I had this problem. My period came late, and when it did it was horrible smelling and brown instead of red. I saw some comments from women who said they found out they had left a tampon up there.. Decided to go check and OH MY GOD. That was the problem. I had forgotten a tampon a -month- ago. If you are having this problem go check that first. Terribly embarrassing but a major relief to know that's what it was.  
HA HA HA.....after finding these answers, did the easiest thing first and WA-LA, an old tampon stuck way up in there.  UGH - so disgusting but I'm so glad there are others just like me.  Thanks ladies!!!
OMG...After reading all the comments on "foul dark menstrual blood"...I went sraight into the bathroom and low and behold, there was in fact an old tampon stuck inside. What a relief. Looking forward to NOT BEING stinky anymore. This is DEFINTELY the 1st thing one should do if you are having this problem. If you dont find one right away, try again later. It could be kinda far up there. Good luck ladies. thanx for all your advice. Now Im returning the favor.
Okay I am 19tn I been with my boyfriend for 3 yrs, my issue is that my (V) is going through a lot.  It smell very bad so bad it seems to be loud and I work in retail and its embarrassing! I was very young when I started my menstrual cycle but never knew what to do about the smell.

Its very embarrassing and it brings down my confidence.  I feel like I'm always in the shadow ...So now that I have read majority comments I will be going to the Dr. Office tomorrow.

Ill check back and update. THANK YOU LADIES FOR POSTING . YOU HELP ME OUT ALOT.# Stay Strong
I really appreciate your comment. I have not sought medical advice for over 3 years for the reason of the quick fix they have in their system. I have been dealing with the bad odor as well during my period not to mention dark in color, heavy flow, and 8 to 10 days of duration, only to return within < 3 weeks and start all over again. I will be making an appointment to see a gynecologist to see what they have to say but I definitely do not believe in taking medication and I haven't for the past 3 years. I will try what you mentioned hc4health. Thank you for your response to the previous person and I appreciate your insight.
Ok guys ive been reading comments and think possibly you may be able to help, i have no idea whats going on, ive been on the injection for about a year now, am still having my periods, although they are now very random, sometimes very light or like today, one min nothing next i need to sit in the shower for half an hour as nothing else can be done :( ... i mean i went through a tampon in about 30 seconds! no joke! :(.. Also it smell very very metallic to the point first i thought id cut myself, but even then its way too metallic for just 'normal' blood, im wondering maybe an too much copper/zinc or iron in my system? im lost for ideas tbh, other than the metallic smell this has been happening for a while i have been to the drs but they say there is nothing wrong.

Also even though i bled so much earlier (as mentioned above) within 2 hours it stopped.

Any thought/idea would be fab, thankyou.
There is a very good antibiotic called cyprotab that will help clear bacterial vaginosis. Also a good idea to detox with fruits n veg for a few days.
I noticed just this last period that the blood smelled like feces this is scary any advice
im soooooo glad also !!!!!! i read these also i never been threw this before and because all the comment help me  !!!! it was true that what happen too me also . i had a tampon also i was so scared but i took it out and went to the dr. also too get pills and im all good she said im ok lol THANK GOD
Why would your doctor refer someone to a hemotologist after havinh a blood test?
Thank you to all the brave women who admitted they had a tampon stuck up inside! I started having the very foul odor and dark burgandy blood a few days after I thought my period should've been over.  Read the posts, decide to check myself, and found a tampon that was wedged up inside! Thank you, thank you.
I'm 16 and I started a birth control and did it for a month and wasn't satisfied with the way it worked so I stopped using it. I didn't have a period for 2 months and now that I just got my period it's really really heavy and it smells horrible.. I can't figure out what's wrong and it's really bothering me and making me upset. :(
I found this site when searching for the reason for my continuous bleeding, dark blood, and foul smelling period. After reading the posts I decided to check and  it was a tampon that was forgotten. It's embarrassing (and gross) but with having three little kids and a busy schedule, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner!!! thanks for the honest posts ladies!
I have my period on the 26 of Aug fr thathat am still spotin its very dark with a bad smell very bad smell its somthing I should be worry about
Hi, have u seen a doctor already ? A very bad smell usually indicate a common symptom for  Bacterial Vaginosis (BV).or possible sexually transmitted infection (STI).

If u have not gone to a doctor yet, i suggest u do it as soon as possible. At least the doctor can perform a pelvic examination and take samples for testing of possible infections.

Let your doctor clear u of any infections first before attempting to try home remedies. Hope to hear from u soon.
If u feel embarrassed to go to a doctor for your condition, there is a possible way to self-diagnose  (warning : not 100% accurate) that is to test ur vagina's ph level.

A healthy vagina ph level is between 3.5 - 4.5 . Anything off that range may indicate some possible infections. Common infections like Yeast infection is measured below 3.5 while bacterial vaginosis (BV) n Trichomoniasis (STI) are above 4.5

For more accurate diagnostic, go to a doctor because they can send samples to a lab for testing.

Why does my period stink so bad? It has never stinked this bad....
Wow! After reading so MANY comments on forgotten tampons I decided to go check... NASTY foul tampon was found and definitely the perpetrator!  
Add me to the list.  Seriously ladies, if this smell is something new for you, go to the bathroom right now and find that forgotten tampon.  It's there.  Gross, but there.
Thanks for the posting .  I had my period two weeks ago.  I had that foul smell ever since.  I looked at several things on the internet.  I kept seeing the forgotten tampon remark, so i decided i would check to see.  I was very suprsed to find one but i did.  It was really disgusting, so i am glad i checked.

An entire month? Did they check you for TSS??
Lmao! are you serious? how can you have something like that stuck up there and didn't noticed or even remembered?
Someone said how could you forget you have a tampon up there. Well this is how As a mother of three I'm constantly thinking of  what's next on my to do list. That sometimes i over think myself and find I've already done something I thought still needed to be done. I went to the bathroom to change my tampon and i assumed it had Fallin out when i peed. (cause if i push really hard it does) i know tmi. Anyhow i had two tampon at once thing going on and the other sneaky Lil guy was unwelcome! This post was very helpful for finding the culprit of a stinky situation! I'm so releaved that it was just that because i felt otherwise healthy! Thanks to everyone for their honesty!
ME TOO!  I just read this post and found it!   ARGGH!  :)  Thank God.  It's interesting how you automatically feel one thousand times better, more energy, etc.  The human body can tolerate A LOT
HI,

IUD are mediums for infections, you may have a bacterial infection that may not go away until the IUD is removed.  See your MD and let them culture the discharge and diagnosis what you have.  All the best.

Horrifying as it was, I've been going through this for two weeks - dark, very foul smelling for the first time in my life.  Thought for sure it had to be cancer.  Sure enough and I sure didnt' believe it it until I felt and saw it.  Tampon.  OMG!! Thank GOD it's over.  I feel like an idiot.
Omg I been having the same problems since I just started my period yesterday, foul smell, blood was heavier and darker. But the smell was far the worst I ever had to smell.. I know i know...gross... Well after reading all these helpful comments; I went yo the bathroom and guess what I can feel.. Yes a nasty old tampon, (from the month before) ugh... but i can't take it out no string and to high to reach. Im currently at my gyn waiting room to help me out and hoping I didn't get an infection.. I'll keep y'all posted and thank u so much for the comments. Im glad I was not the only one..
seriously? how on earth do u forget a tampon? font u have string dangling?
What antibiotic do they put you on for that?
gross. only foul women leave tampons up themselves. if you cared about keeping yourself fresh while on your periods, it wouldn't happen.
if you use tampons you should change them at least 3 times a day. keep yourselves fresh while on your menstral. you can go back to being lazy afterwards!!!!!!!!!!
Hey Ladies.
I recently discovered the DivaCup and used it my last period. These last few days however, I've noticed an odor like never before. The blood is/was reddish/brown and creamy looking... however, its the scent that's bothering me, as i've never noticed such a high odor.. I am thinking to give it another cycle to observe the findings..
Nikki
Your an idiot for your comments maybe a super busy mother or someone that just has a lot on their hands or how about someone that doesnt use them every month its easy it doesnt make anyone unclean or lazy!!!! and again why are you on this site???? You must be just as unclean as everyone else lmao get a  life and stop judging!!!
Thanks everyone for commenting on this post!!! I never would have thought to search for a missing tampon, but that was the problem! I'm 33 and haven't had this issue in the 20 years I've been using them, so I guess there is a first time for everything! So glad it wasn't something more serious.
excuse me.... you need to really open your eyes to the world... women get busy,kids careers, LIVES.... i am ashamed, if you are a woman, that would even say a thing like that... we come on here for advice, open ended, not someone making some snap judgement... Sorry but I as a RESPONSIBLE, Married and faithful for 12 years, church going PTA career mom of 2 (15&7) boys in all sports, that certainly knows how to take care of myself and my family and it has happened to me. We forget, or get distracted by kids(and hubbys) knocking on the bathroom door asking us to fix the world now and we forget. These things happen...get used to it
Exactly same thing happened to me. I was staying away from tampons for years, but started them a  year ago or so. I will not use them again. Every woman out there that feels weird prolonged cycle and smelly bleeding, should check herself inside to see if tampon is lost, as it can happen to anyone.
I am 18 years old and I have a bad cycle I miss it for about 4 mnths and when I get it its only for 2-4 days long.... My pd blood is dark dark black redish! It also smells a lot and it is just bad... can it be an infection also or something else??? I dont eat a lot and I bearly started working in my first job.... Do you think that is why or what can it be???
So I did what you ladies said to , i checked for a forgotten tampon and that wasn't the case. i have been on my period for more then two weeks now i went to the doctors and they said everything seemed ok and asked me to check my iud strings, they were in place and said to come back in a week if i still have or or they could give me a shot or something to stop my period. i said no, it has been almost 3 weeks now and im getting worried cause now im getting a foul odor now and really bad cramps just at night. i have no idea what wrong, iv read it could be cervical cancer or even a miscarriage but i dont have the symptoms of a miscarriage tho. im just so confused. i go back to the doctors in a few days.
hi ladies,
I have to admit I did have a few fun but sympathetic laughs over the comments, im glad we can make light of the less harmful vaginal issues.
I have been having foul poopy smelling periods towards the end of my cycle for about 4 months now and they have been not as heavy in th begining and taking longer to start up, and I noticed some slight sexual discomfort however I thought my fiancé was maybe just getting too far up there, but this seems to be making too much sense. I have never been a tampon fan because i forget to change them often enough but I am very active so it is sometimes necessary (yes I am also a mother) so thanks to some of your input I was convinced I had a tampon up there.
I checked as far as I could reach for a nasty tamp and didn't find anything, off to the doc tomorrow to find out if theres one really lodged or if I maybe have this BV infection... wish me luck! hope I can be just as good of help as most of you wonderful ladies when I reach a verdict!

PS. to the ones making mean comments, you shouldn't be participating on this site, it is for honest people who want to help and be helped, we don't deserve to have people trying to threaten our self esteem.
Stevia is known to be a reproductive inhibitor in South America, where it originates from....so it goes without saying those poor rats and rabbits stuffed in a lab would have the same problem.  How sad our society conducts these silly tests on information we already knew !  (getting off the subject, sorry), but  I am 52, still menstruating and have noticed a very strong odor to my most recent periods.  It is bad, but it goes away after my period and my hoo-ha smells totally fine mid cycle (normal for me at least).  I am about knocked out cold by the smell of the blood at my ripe old age...he he...but after reading all these posts, there could be many culprits.  I drink tons of coffee, I live in a city  that might have bad water (Burbank, CA), and I do use Stevia on occasion.  Since the scent goes away after my period ends each month, I am not especially worried, but it is more of a self awareness issue.

Keep up the humor....and yes we all have a hoo-ha, let's share our dilemmas nicely.  
THIS I can try!!! Thank you!!!!
Using Summer's Eve or the Walmart brand of vaginal wash can cut smell down, but my periods did that a few times before I got pregnant. Still ask a county. Clinic or planned parenthood, some clinic are free though.
Thank you women for not getting offened at the come someone made about how do you for get a tampon, its your life , you know what you face, you know what you deal with , you know you
Girllll I can't imagine!!! Leaving a tampon wow!  I know this is a old post but here I am commenting 8/31/2013
Just since halfway through my last period, I had noticed the same symptoms, with a nasty funky smell I had never smelled before (I'm 33), and a brownish red blood (when it had always been bright red before, and actually light pink by this time in my cycle). I did not notice the smell on a constant basis, but only when being sexual with my boyfriend. We both said that smell had changed and had become foul, a smell I had never experienced until 2 weeks ago. I blamed it on lingering period blood (although I was a bit worried about the abnormal brownish red blood). Then a couple days after I stopped spotting we had sex and ended up with a huge blood stain on my sheets. The sudden rush of blood just seemed out of place to me, and I actually started to worry. After the next sex experience became painful, I googled the symptoms, and saw the comments about a stuck tampon causing similar symptoms. I "looked" for it last night with no luck. But tonight I relaxed myself, tried again, and sure as hell I felt a sideways tampon very deep up inside me. It was rather easy to get out with two fingers once I knew it was in there. And as gross as this sounds, that tampon reeked of that smell I had been smelling. Thank you ladies for the advice and saving me a trip to the gyno! I also hope this info is helpful for future ladies who stumble upon this page in the future
OMG!!!!! I can't believe I found a disgusting old tampon inside of me!!! I was so scared didn't know what was wrong with me!!!! If it weren't for you guys commenting about the same foul odor and dark blood I never would have known!!! THANK YOU ALL!!! I still can't believe this happened to me. Don't think i'll be using tampons ANYMORE!!!!
I'm like the others . Read the posts because I was so embarrassed about this horrible nasty odor  Cannot believe I found an old Tampon  too!! I agree that it's crazy that I forgot about it with string and al.  I could not believe it but so relieved.  Thank you all for posting.
Nikita9, I used the Diva cup for months - maybe up to two years.  It did not cause any foul smell.  I stopped using it because it leaked.  I was very disappointed in that, I really wanted it to work.  I tried a different brand, from the UK, called the Moon Cup.  It was slightly better.  More flexible and a bit more rounded in shape.  Still leaked though... maybe just me....
Happened to me this week....so awful and unbelievable! Read this post before I went to the doctor and thought it could not be! Yep it was a forgotten tampon... Terrible!
I have has this problem for a few month AFTER I left a tampon in for 3 weeks.  The smell never went away even after a visit to the gyne and antibiotics.  I got my mum to send me some of this from England : www.balanceactiv.com and it went away in 2 days. This stuff is akin to a miracle for odor, itching and general healing in this area.
I had the copper coil in a month ago n since ive bin bleeding almost constantly but the smell ov blood is that strong and smells sooo bad I am embarred to go out cuz you can smell it thou me clothes and if I have sex the smell lingers in the air n all u cn think bout please help
I just wanted to thank all of the ladies that were brave enough to share their stories about losing a tampon. I found this site by searching for reasons why my period blood suddenly had such a bad odor.

Suspecting a lost tampon might be the cause, but feeling both embarrassed and nervous about removing it myself, I then came across a video from a doctor named Doctor Gurley. I highly recommend looking up her video if you think this is your problem. Her humorous approach might help put you at ease and make you feel more comfortable and informed about what your options are to fix the problem.

She made me comfortable enough to try and tackle the problem myself. Lo and behold, I found a forgotten tampon and easily removed it. It was quick and painless. (I will add, though, that she doesn't mention 'bearing down' while removing it, which definitely helped me). She does give some great, very simple suggestions for what to do and not to do for aftercare once that lil rascal is out.

Thanks again, and good health to you all.
OH MY GOSH, I had noticed a very very foul smell from my period, with dark red/brown blood and just a lot of nasty stank..I was sure there was no way it could be a forgotten tampon. However because of everyone's HELPFUL comments about "go to the bathroom right now and just check!" I pulled out the nastiest culprit- a tampon! Thankfully I am just now finishing up my period, thank God I didn't go into Toxic Shock. I really hope the foul smell is gone by tomorrow! LADIES- GO CHECK FOR A TAMPON. GET DEEP IN THERE JUST DO IT.
Thank you!!!!!!!
Hi,I am so grateful for these comments.like most people on here, I googled foul smelling periods! After reading all your comments I went to the bathroom and low and behold found the 5 week old tampax!! I remember waking up one morning without the tampax in but thought it had come out by itself as it sometimes did whilst I went to the toilet.thought no more of it until that horrid,foul smell! Thank u all so much xxxx
Me too.  I didn't think I'd forget something like that but I did.  After reading this thread I checked.  Thanks!  It grossed me out but saved money as I was about to call the Dr.
Thank you to everyone for your comments / posts. After having similar issues with odor and unusual color (first time ever), I also heeded the advice provided (albeit reluctantly). And, to my dismay, found a tampon as the culprit as well!

I am 40 with a 4 year old son.  Last month during my period I was on heavy medication for a serious viral infection and lots of other major distractions. My point: similar to many other women, our lives get very hectic taking care of many people and things. Most of us, including me, put so much ahead of ourselves managing so many things,  that, sometimes, habitual items or of a second nature get forgotten...

My sincere thanks to all the honest posts. Without them I don't think I would have checked. I am relieved it was not, and did not become, more serious. I also want to say to anyone else, even if in doubt, please go check for a tampon first! It was a quick and easy to do in order to rule this out.
Could I just say thank you!  I cannot believe that something like this could happen to me but I just checked and yep! There it was!  Old tampon.  I've really scared myself here twice.  First scare, the smell was so unholy - I thought only a terminally ill person could make that smell.  Second scare, this level of negligence - I was sceptical up to the second when I found it.  Must have been there 3 weeks.  There are probably some women out there who are pretty sure this can't happen to them and won't check, because they think they know their bodies so well.  Check NOW!
I had a really long period lasting for weeks. Went to my OBGYN whom I trusted very much. Turned out to be fibroids. He laser cauterized them (I was asleep) and no more trouble. I changed my diet to help. There is a product by Thorne Research called Indole-3-Carbinol which helps to get rid of excess estrogens (which we get from hormome injected meats, milks, & because of plastics) which our bodies don't need and cause the fibroids. It's been almost 10 years and no more trouble except for now with this bad smell I'm trying to figure out... These comments from your experiences are wonderful. It makes this embarrassing situation so much less so knowing that we are not alone! Thank you for your open sharing as the MD we have now is running a cattle mill and the office never listens - seems they just have an agenda of pushing the latest pharmaceutical of the month on us.
Thank you so much for all your honest posts...I thought I was dying...Lol!!  OMG...After reading all the comments I went straight into the bathroom and there was in fact an old tampon stuck inside. What a relief!!! Thank you all!!!
I had to reply to this to help anyone else who had the slightly differing symptoms I had.

I first noticed a strange smell after having sex just after starting the 2nd week of microgynon pill packet (I've been using this contraceptive for years - this is just to pinpoint my place in the cycle).

It wasn't a fishy smell but it was very strong and rank. Showers didn't fix the issue. I had a strange, very watery grey-white discharge and once after a pee I noticed red on the tissue.

I went to the doctor thinking yeast infection or something similar. They tried me on caneston for thrush. I had no itching or other symptoms of thrush. That didn't improve the situation much and then I began to get the usual burning of cystitis and blood when I peed. All the blood on the tissue smelt bad too.

I occasionally had cramps in the lower pelvic area and tummy but these were not consistent and only low level rather than the time I had a bad kidney infection and it was constant, awful pain in one place. So, I discounted a kidney infection but wanted to be sure so went back to GP.

Went back to the doctor and got pee tested. It had blood in it so I was given three days of antibiotics. I began these yesterday but this morning woke up to a sudden flow of blood into my knickers that smelt really really rank, almost like bird poop or something similar.

This really worried me and my symptoms seemed off from most vaginal problems so I started researching online and found this thread. I found it amazing how many women had lost a tampon up there and figured - like many - that I should rule it out.

I lay down on the bed, relaxed and searched with finger and thumb up there. I immediately found the head of a tampon in and up around the bone. I couldn't believe it, like many others here! I was switching between pads and tampons during the period I'd just had so I could understand how it might have happened. Tampons are designed not to be felt once they are up there, after all! It is gross and I will have to dispose of the tampon immediately now it is found (also I'm glad I'm on antibiotics anyway for the cystitis!) but please please check if you are worried or your symptoms are anything that doesn't match with the symptoms for other issues in particular. Also, please check if you are a week or so into your pill packet as that's when the symptoms first began for me.

Good luck and good health down there!
Over the past year I had noticed the same, extremely foul smelling (even fecal smelling) odor present in my  menstrual blood.  Between my periods of menstruation, there is absolutely ZERO odor.  This is how I KNEW it was something more internal and not simply a forgotten tampon or infection. Any such cause would have an odor that is continuously present.  After months of searching for an answer, I found it…at my DENTIST'S office.

Ladies, the cause of the foul menstrual odor is the presence of periodontal (teeth and gums) bacteria that is present in your blood.  If you have poor oral hygiene or even simply do not floss daily or have regular teeth cleanings, the build-up of periodontal bacteria gets into your blood, accumulates in your uterus over the course of the month and literally "cooks" until you menstruate. The smell results from the bacteria in your blood.

The key to getting rid of the problem is to take care of your teeth and gums…EVERYDAY! FLOSS EVERYDAY!  My dentist gave me a 2-part dental rinse solution that I mix fresh with each use. I dip my floss into the solution and floss my teeth…really well.  I start doing this and after the first month noticed a significant reduction in the odor and after 2 months…NO MORE ODOR AT ALL ! And, it has not returned.  Admittedly, I hardly ever flossed my teeth before now however, now I floss with this technique everyday if not twice a day.  Ask your dentist for an anti-bacterial dental rinse.  I don't promote any one product but if anyone wants to know what I use, please ask.  I think they all probably work, the key is to get anything antibacterial and floss WELL…I mean get that floss way deep down into those receding gum lines…even until your gums bleed, you will know you are getting a deep clean and over time, your gums will become healthy and stop bleeding.  

Thank goodness I finally feel normal again and do not have this awful, gross and embarrassing issue anymore. And..I know I am healthier and my heart is healthier as well for reducing the bacterial load of my blood.  Hope this helps you all. Try it. I am 99.9999% confident you will see an improvement.  Love to you all!
Sorry for the typing errors in my post..it's late!
Oh my god, I'm so glad I found this forum! I'd been experiencing foul smelling discharge for about two days and still spotting. Lo and behold, I had a tampon that had traveled up, couldn't even feel it! That was the source of the smell! Ugh!

Definitely switching to a diva cup after this, yikes!
After using commercial brand pads i always notice a weird odor coming from my menstrual blood.  I don't use tampons because they may get stuck or cause an infection.  This was the culprit for me.  I'm pretty healthy and got a full check up done a few months ago and No infections.  After a hot bath and clean underwear I don't notice an odor ... until i put on a commercial pad.

The chemicals in these pads make you smell awful and weird. They throw off your vaginal PH and create a nasty smell
Switching to 100% cotton pads definitely make you smell less ... especially if you don't have any infections or other issues going on.
Toward the end of my period... i notice the dark brown blood ..
i smelled it on a pad and it was awful ... after not using pads or tampons the blood doesn't have  any odor.  Using commercial products make me smell strong!  ... also drinking enough water and staying hydrated helps.

Vaginal PH is a big issue with menstrual odor.  If you get checked at the doctor and no infections or stuck tampons ... this maybe an issue.

Commercial brand pads and tampons have chemicals in the fabric that mix with the menstrual blood and create a Foul odor.

I used commercial pads for 3 days and my PH was thrown off ... Big Time!
It took another few days for my PH to return to normal.