HCG lab error?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

HCG lab error?

I am a little over 5 weeks pregnant and not considered high risk. My first HCG was normal (176) for where I am in my pregnancy. I went in to the lab two days later and it was hard for the tech to draw my blood. The vial was not full but they said they could run the test anyway. The results came back as half (no number specified) of the previous HCG test. I am having no spotting, cramping, and I still feel as pregnant or more. I went to the lab on Friday but won't receive my new results until Monday and my results don't seem to be a priority for my doctor's office. So my question is what are the chances that it could be a lab error as I suspect and not a miscarriage and would I be spotting if my HCG levels were dropping in half and continued to drop?
Avatar n tn
I hope that your bHCG is incorrect, but the test result you recieve on Monday will be more conclusive. Generally, your HCG should double every 2 days. If yours is decreasing, it can mean that the fetus may not be forming...something called a "blighted ovum". I have seen this condition go to 12-13wks and be totally asymptomatic, and when I do a routine U/S, BOOM, no baby, but all the symptoms of being preg. I had a miscarriage prior to my son, and my numbers halved every 2 days. I was bleeding though. Good Luck, and I will keep my fingers crossed for you!
Avatar n tn
Also, I should have mentioned..a tubal preg can also cause HCG  not to double every 2 days either.
Hormones For Better Sleep Better, G...
16 hrs ago by gymdandee
KTowne, and Belle313 commented on Belle313's status
KTowne 5 more sleeps!!! :):) Comment
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals