HTA procedure: What's it like?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

HTA procedure: What's it like?

Has anyone had an HTA procedure done recently? My doctor is sure this is what I need. It sounds like a better option than hysterectomy but I'm not sure. My doctor told me the procedure is similar to the Hysteroscopy I recently had done...is this true? I know I need to do something about the never ending periods I have been experiencing lately. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
HI shadow I had the HTA done may 23 of this year.  It was super easy.  I had no cramping or any pain what so ever afterwards.  I had (& is normal) a watery pink discharge for 2.5 weeks and now  I have nothing.  Still too early to tell if the periods will stop all together but even normal periods will make me happy.  I am glad I did it!  You are aware that you can have no more children after.  I have 2 and am done so it was a good choice for me.  Just a down side to the procedure.  If you have any ?'s I will gladly answer for you feel free to email at babymelyo at yahoo dot com. of course fill in the at and dot with symbols!
Thanks for the info. I am aware that pregnancy afterwards is not an option. My husband and I do not have any children due to various health problems. We are planning to start adoption procedures in 2007 if all goes as planned. Thanks again.
adoption is wonderful!!!  Congratulations I hope the procedure works for you if you decide to go that route.
What is HTA??
HTA is short for Hydro ThermAbualtion. Basically the doctor inserts a thin tube filled with heated saline into the vagina to eliminate or "cook" the lining of the uterus. I am hoping it greatly reduces my menstrual cycles as 15 days is getting a bit bothersome. If this does not work, a complete hysterectomy may be needed. My procedure is scheduled for July 13 and I am on a low level hormone until then to reduce the build up. I am not thrilled about needing to have this done, but I need some relief.
I had one done about 4 years ago, and praise the Lord, haven't had AF since.  One note of caution though, don't have ANY sex until after the two week mark, like they tell you.  I felt fine and thought everything was "good to go".  I ended up with yeast and BV infections for a year and a half.  They said it was from all the antibiotics they run thru you during the surgery, but I still think the sex played a role as well.  But no biggy and it does work.  Good luck!

Pam
I had this procedure done abou 2 weeks ago in the docs office under just pain medication.  I wouldn't recomend being awake during this to anyone, it hurt really bad.  I would do it under anesthia though.  Im not sure if it has helped my bleeding probs yet its too early for that.
I had the a hta done July 9,2011 It's Aug It's a month now, and I still came on bleedin heavy.My doctor told me give it sum months I should see a change.So I don't know if it really work right I'm sayin no,But if I see a change sum months from now I will keep you post.
Sorry to hear your woos, I am considering getting this procedure as well but the more Im reading I am concerned I will eventually need a Hysterectomy in my later years...so Im thinking I should just do it now (Uterine hysterectomy)...??

hi I've got 6 Weeks to decide wetha to have this procedure done im rather worried about it as my stomach bloats regular now!!! and don't fancy a hysterectomy later in life im 44 with 3 children so children isn't my worry ...I just don't think I can live with a constant bloated stomach I no it sounds daft but this gets me really down!!! I have 6 weeks plz help im very emotional about this and cannot stop crying x