Has anyone got pregnant from a failed vasectomy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

My period is 2 weeks late as of today. I took two home pregnancy tests last week and both said negative. I have been late before but only by 3/4 days tops. I have been having some symptoms, but if I am pregnant why would it say no on the test? I don't have insurance so it's hard to just go to the doctor. Does anyone know the failure rait of a vasectomy? My husband had it done in sep 2005.

Any info would be great.
thank you :)
Try going to a free clinic and getting blood test. I'm not sure my husband hasn't had one but I'm sure its still possiable, I know if my mother could get pregnant with her tubes tied anything is possiable.
very possible.
Yes, quite possible.  My son is friends with a child who is the product of a vasectomy after 8 years.  They were in disbelief.
If your period is late then the test should be showing so the negative is prob right - there are other reasons why your period could be late
i agree with sares. i understand there are stories out there of getting pregnant when the husband had a vasectomy. however it is VERY rare. i don't know how old you are but periods can change as we "age"
there are many other reasons besides pregnancy that you are late. if it would put you at ease, go to the dr. for a blood test. that will tell you for sure but pregnancy tests are very accurate and it would most likely show (being 2 weeks late) a positive result if you were.
I was posting on another board and someone mentioned that it could be because I posibly ovulated late. I think that probably is it. After all, I usually don't pay attention because I am not trying to conceive.

thanks for all the responses.
:hugs:
well, i was actually going to mention that and ask.. are you sure you "calculated" correctly? i didnt want to insult you that you didnt know what was going on with your body. there have been many times where i think that i am supposed to get it and it doesnt come for a whole week. or.. i thought i had another week before i got it and oops..there it is. i was questioning why so early? i checked the calander and it was right on. just not paying attention ad the simple fact "time flies".
dont forget, feb. was a short month and i think that can effect it too.
other possibilities..anxiety/worry, new medications, vigirous exercise, change in diet..blah, blah, blah! LOL! i would try to not think about it so much, take a nice, long, relaxing bath and watch your worries go down the drain. AF will come knocking soon. if she doesnt, give your dr. a call and see what he/she thinks.
Did your husband return to the doc after the vasectomy as ordered to do a "count" and make sure that there were no lil swimmers? A LOT of men fail to make that trip. If he didn't, maybe he should pop in for a quick visit and sperm count. If he did and all checked out, then I wouldn't worry too much. Good Luck!
--J
yes!^^^^you are right on jo and good point! she didnt mention whether or not he went to his follow up appointments. my friends husband had a vasectomy a few months ago. she will not have unprotected sex with him until he goes back for that count!
I nagged my husband every month to send in his sample and he never did. If I get pregnant I wouldn't be upset, so If I am I will just tell him, "Hey, I told you to do it"
I am 28, and usualy my periods are a 27-28 day cycle. So this being two weeks later is way off. I am going to go to the doctor on Thursday to get blood work done, if I don't start by then.

So, I will keep you girls posted.
ahhh haaa! so that's a different story! he needs to go for his follow ups and give that sample or why did he go through all the anguish of the operation/process in the first place?
that's good that you are okay with it if you may be pregnant but i just hope if you are, he doesnt turn it all around on you and make it your fault (like men have that ability to do). well, let's not think that far ahead. it's best that you made an appointment to see your dr. somebody has to! please let us know..i am quite curious. hope it all turns out the way you want it to.
Did you get to the GYN for a blood test?  If so, are you
pregnant?
The answer to your question. Has anyone got pregnant from a failed vasectomy. YES. I am 41 years old and have 3 children 17, 14, and 9. I remarried 3 years ago to a man who never wanted his own children but has one of his own he never sees. He had a vasectomy 8 years ago. I was 3 weeks late and having symptoms of pregnancy. Thought it was a thyroid problem or a sist or something anything but pregnancy. I went to the Dr. to be testing for everything except preganancy and she insisted we do a preganancy test. I almost died right there when she told me it was positive. My husband went in and did the semen test he never did 8 years ago and sure enough there are little fishies in the sea. His entire family is telling everyone I cheated on him and got pregnant. It has destroyed our marriage and future. I have spent the last 3 weeks researching this and it is not as uncommon as people think. I recommend for anyone not wanting this to happen to them to have their husbands or boyfriends get checked periodically. Not only can it be there all along but a vasectomy can recanalize or reconnect.

Good luck to you.
I was just browsing for the same subject.  I'm a week late which is unheard of for me and I've been feeling the morning sickness/breast tenderness thing.  My husband was sterilized almost 2 years ago and we have two young children.  I'm thinking that I'll take a test if I still haven't had my cycle in a couple of days.  I know it's not terribly common, but it's not too uncommon either.  My sister took self pregnancy tests that turned out to be false negatives.  I'm dying to know how your tests come back!
Well, took a total of 3 home pregnancy tests and they were all negative. Last time I tested was Saturday. I havn't went to the doctor yet. I guess I am just waiting a bit more to see if maybe I just ovulated late. This is so fustrating. It is driving me nuts waiting for my period to get here. Hopefully I will find out something soon.
Called Planned Parenthood and they cant get me in until the middle of April for a pap. Just the waiting game now.
Has your period started?  Have you taken any more HPTs?  I hear
digital pregnancy tests are good because you do not have to
determine if you have 2 lines or +s on other HPTS.
I have a question 4 u all-i just found out that my love of 5 years had a vasectomy. now im reallly upset. do i have a right to be? i found out by a april fools joke. i called and left a message on his fone saying i was pregnant. well then after hours going by and no word i called him and said april fools on his machine. so then today i spoke with him and he says real nice joke you nut. im like hhehehe the he says "i was wondering if the doc cut me wrong" well it hit me like a brick but i did not let on at all and went into another conversation. hes coming over 2nite and im really ticked off-but do i have a right to be?
I think I would be angry, too.  Have you guys ever talked about
having children?  If he is lying about a vasectomy, it would
make me wonder what other things is he keeping from me.
Has anyone ever heard of a failed vasectomy and tubal ligation.  I am 37 and over 4 weeks late for my period.  I have ALL the symptoms of being pg.  Nausea, breast tingling, tired all the time, and on and on.  I had a tubal over 11 years ago and my husband had a vasectomy over 20 years ago.  Any info would be great.

I'm having the same problem.I am going on aboout 9 days late and i always start by the first of the month even if i'm running late. My husband had a vasectemy summer of 2006, and went in for his count and it was negative no swimmers. So my question is is it possible. I have 2 children and i have recently gone back to work. I get dizzzy sometimes and i have to get up and go to the potty a little more than normal. o you  think it is pregnancy or what else could it be???
i am 35 and my husband is 40,he had his vasectomy 2 yrs ago and 3mnths later we were pregnant with our 5th,we put it down to being our fault and accepted it,and carried on hubby didnt send in any samples and we were using protection until july and then i find out i am pregnant again with no 6 now,we are pretty upset about this,and because my husband dosent want to go thru the vasectomy again the dr has fobbed us off,and couldnt care less grrrr,the dr reakons that my husbands tubes re joined within weeks of the vasectomy which if this is right it would have had to have been within 6-8wks of having it done.
I'm sooo confused. I'm 27 never with 2 kids 7 and 6 and my husband had a vasectomy 5.5 yr ago. My period is 1 week late (for sure) witch has never happened before and major wave nausea for 2 weeks now and 2 HPT test neg. went for a blood test and just waiting for results. anyone know of any other reason why i'm feeling liken this??
sorry about the "never" with 2 kids" comment obviously didnt look over when posted LOL
I know a couple who had a failed tubal and vasectomy. She was 45 and he was 50. SURPRISE! He had grown chldren and she had none and wanted none. But they have a beautiful daughter, she's 14 now. I think he had another one later.

Now I'm a few days late myself, which i never am, I'm 43 mother of 5 ages, 25, 23, 19, 14, and 6. Grandmother of 2yr old and 3 week old.  My husband had a vasectomy 7 1/2 yrs ago. Iv'e heard they could reconnect after several years. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world but the end of a lot of stuff for me. ha, ha.  
Hi!  I am 39 year old who thinks I may be pregnant.  I have two children, 9 and 6, and miscarried 4 years ago.  I freaked out and made my husband get a vasectomy.  Now, I am 6 days late and have only been late with each pregnancy.  I took 2 HPTs and they were both neg.  I can't fathom the idea of a failed vasectomy, but reading about everyone else makes me believe it can happen.  I am very nauseous, have cramping and feel like it is coming any minute.  But it is not.  Do you think I have a disease of some kind?  I am nervous.  It is like, what are the chances that the vasectomy failed and the HPTs are wrong?  What do you think, anyone? Help!
Hey everyone, well the weekend went by and lastnight had some cramping and thought for sure my period was coming but no sign of it still. Now i have a new symtom, After I  showered my nipples were tingling a bit and I noticed that there was some leakage of collostrum wich I now is a bit early for that if I was pregnant but it also happened to e while i was pg with my second so now I am really confused. My test results come today and I cant wait. If they come negative I think my hormones must be totally out of wack. everyone please keep us updated
This could also be thyroid problems.  About 20 yrs ago I was diagnosed with hypo-active thyroiditis. My period was 19 days late I gained 17 lbs in a month. Thought for sure I was pregnant, took a couple of home tests both neg. I knew what it was and asked the dr to do a thyroid test and sure enough. As soon as i was put on meds everything got back to normal and  3 months later I was pregnant. We had been trying for several months.  Your thyroid controls so much in your body especially for women.  According to statistics thyroid disease is high on the list of conditions that go undiagnosed and can be potentially fatal (after many years) if left undetected.  10 yrs ago I had my thryoid surgically removed because of a goiter.  This could also be the reason I am late this month also, although since being on my meds I havn;t been before.  The chances I am pg are soooo slim. Would truly be close to a miracle.

My recommendation for those of you who are getting neg reports on home tests. Ask for a thyroid (TSH) test. Actually INSIST  on one.  I had to. Even if it's a little low (or high) this can cause problems with menstration.  Hope this helps.
Hi everyone!  Still no period but have crapming and I keep thinking it is coming.  I  was not nauseous today.  Thank goodness because last night was terrible.  I called my gyno to make an appointment and no one called me back so i have to call again tomorrow.  Every time I think I could be prego, I say no way!  I don't know what to think.  It is driving me crazy.   Good luck evryone.  Keep us posted and I'll do the same.  

hey ladies, well went and seen the dr for the results and it was neg. He thinks i have a cyst on my ovaries that is causing my hormones to be unbalanced. Got my AF this morning with wicked cramps. I knw it was a very slim chance that i was pg but I almost feel like I lost a baby so now  we are going to discuss having a vasevcomy reversal done with the dr..Anyway good luck to you all.
I am 42 years old and my period was late, so I thought I might be going through the change, I have just took a pregnancy test to put my mind at rest and it has come back positive.  I am devastated because my husband had a vasectomy 10 years ago after we have our child and he told me he went back for the check ups to check that it had worked.  Has this happened to anyone else out there and does anyone think we have grounds to sue.  
Well...I think this is an Emmaculate Conception or something, and so does my former boyfriend, (as of when I found out I was pregnant!). I'm 41, w/ a 3 1/2 yr old son.  He just came out of a divorce two weeks before I found out. I was having symptoms of being pregnant, and my brain told me I was, however, after many sleepless night, I decided to take a test and put my fears to rest. It came back positive. He had a vasectomy 10 years ago, conceived his daughter through invitro 8 years ago. In 2001, he got checked and no swimmers were present. He went to get tested the other day, and the doc said there were a couple, but probability is extremely low for him to get anyone pregnant! Now, we're both flipping out! I don't think he believes me when I tell him I haven't been with anyone else...and this has ruined everything! I wouldn't have done that to someone I truly care about! This absolutely sucks!!  His daughter is going to freak when she finds out, she wants them to get back together... Any help on this one would be MUCH appreciated!
Well... my husband had a vasectomy April 07 when I was pregnant with my now 6 month old.  He brought in his sample and they said it checked out fine.  I was 2 1/2 weeks late and we have all been joking around about being pregnant.  So, I decided to take a test just to lay it all to rest.  Well it came back more positive than any of my 3 other pregnancies did.  Now how do you convince you ENTIRE family that you got pregnant after your husband had a vasectomy.  I am the most faithful person in the world and have only been with my husband sooooo clearly it is his.................................  So I guess this time I will take my hubbies advice and get my tubes tied after the baby is born.
My husband had a vasectomy in January 2007.  He was given the okay by the lab approximately 2 months later.  At the end of May I found out that I was pregnant.  My husband didn't doubt for a minute that it was his.  (My dates confirmed that I had conceived while on holiday anyways.)  The doctor ordered more tests and they came back negative as well.  He had no explanation for us.  No one has been able to give us an answer.  Our child, we believe, is a gift from god.  He is our fourth, and although we are using another form of birth control now, I don't regret having him.   He is a joy.  I do feel bad for people that would like to see it as that but for whatever reason , are not happy.  I wouldn't sue anyone because it would be like saying I wish I didn't have my son.  He's meant to be here for some reason.  One more thing, it is important to do a preg test as soon as you suspect  - even if you think it can't happen, just to make sure you get proper prenatal care early on.  
I am a 30 y.o second wife of a 46 y.o. husband who had a vasectomy in 1997.  I only wish and pray that I am as lucky as you and his recanalize.  The reversal procedure is $6,000 + dollars.  I want to be a mom so bad.  Please don't sue anyone.  God doesn't make mistakes.  I would trade with you in a heartbeat.  My husband really doesn't want the reversal, so it has to be a God thing.
I am a 42yr old mum of three..9yrs 8yrs and 6yrs. My husband had a vasectomy 6yrs ago and i am now 9wks late, I did a home pregnancy test which was neg so went to my doctors today, I think he just thought i was pregnant he said its more commen than people think, he took some blood tests anyway. Just have to wait and see now?

Bye for now
I am a 41 year old mom of 3..16yrs 5yrs and our surprise who is now 3
my husband had a vasectomy after the 5 year old, he did 6 sperm samples over a period of 1 year,which was surprising as it is only supposed to take approx 25 ejaculations to clear the vas and we still like each other.we got the all clear but 6 months later i was pregnant,again he did more samples i insisted we use another hospital for these tests they came back negative for sperm. so i was 5 months pregnant somehow with a no sperm husband, I knew i had been completly faithfull things were a bit strained and i felt i had to be on my best behaviour, anyway ryan arrived hes was and is perfect,hubby has been done again but i am still on the pill.i swore no other women would be left so confused so i went to the media once i had been vindicated via a D.N.A.test(my choice ) so if you look up BBC news julia garrett vasectomys. you should be able to show any doubting husbands that this can happen
Well yes Vasectomy happen  and with all the correct procedures and checks done.I Had a Vaectomy approx 8 years ago after we had two healthy children, after the procedure I went  back for the two clear tests that were fine.
My wife recently wasn't feeling well with some on going nausia, after a week or so of this and me making a few jokes about being pregnant that she didn't really find all that funny I suggested that she have a  home pregnancy test, this first test showed positive, we were  suprised but thought it was a mistake so tried again, and guess what, again positive, she was shell shocked, she imediatly went to the doctors and we went for a blood test but because she had been taking a drug "Promethazine" which from some study we found can lead to false positives and also with blood tests we didn't want to wait  for another incorrect test ! so we went in for a scan, sure enough this showed she was pregnant, unbelievable !   We have a  great relationship and infadality was not a concern but as a sperm test would still be needed  anyway for another vasectomy etc she sugested I go straight away as she says would also make me completely doubtless.
Well I have been searching the web  and this site while we have been waiting for the results to come back and now sure enough they have come back as sperm present, not a huge number but only one is needed.
My procedure was done by a specialist not just a doctor alamost 8 years ago and here we are, my doctor has said he has seen 3 cases in his career, he said about 1 in 5000 faliure rate after this period of time,
Hope this helps some of you
Been reading everyone's comments. My husband had no scalpal vasectomy where vas tubes were banded and ligated back in Sept of 2005. I have 2 beautiful daughters and have suddenly hit the point where I want another baby! My husband won't consider it....I am just praying that the good Lord will intervene and mabye he still has some swimmers! The last count we had sent in was shortly after having it done back in 05 and it said that there were still some sperm present but didn't specify if they were volatile or even mobile....Any thoughts or words of encouragement would be appreciated. And, yes we have talked about adoption, but I strongly feel like I have "another baby to come from me" in the future...I feel like I have unfinished business...does that make sense to anyone else?
It is certainly is not as uncommon as all the medical journals and doctors wish you to think. It has been the bringer of many relationship endings, abortions and other horrific incidents. I would like to state, my husband had a vasectomy just a little over two years ago. However, the doctor only snipped and stitched... there was no tie or cauterized/burnt which most undergo. He was only advised to go for his 8 week semen check... sperm was present but it was immobile. They told him he did not need to visit again and produce more samples.

I am now 5 months pregnant. I could have walked outside and got hit in the head with a meteorite after I saw the second pink line show on the pregnancy test. I have only had one scan. It is not that I am happy, I see this baby as 'our' miracle baby and it is truly a blessing since we did not want any more children- and was happy with the 3 boys we have. I did not cheat on my husband and I am really tired of reading over multiple forums where some have been accused of being 'easy' and 'sleeping around'. Perhaps in "some" cases this may have been proven to be true... but it is not in every case that it is. Many children have been proven by DNA. And the father has been the one who supposedly had his swimmers 'fixed'

The common myth seems to be that people think that if a test comes back with immobile swimmers, that they cannot get pregnant... no sperm is meant to be present 7-12 months 'after' the procedure. Because it takes at least 60+ ejaculations to empty the bags... pardon the pun. That it is not so rare for the vas to reconnect itself or another passage develops through the scar tissue. As they say... nature always has its way.  It is VERY possible.

Nothing is 100% proof to succeed, especially in a very fertile male. All I can suggest to any one whose partner has had the procedure... to go for the 3mth, 6mth and 12mth check up and every year after. Stay on some form of birth control for at least that first year. IF you do not wish to become pregnant. Operations fail every day, so this should really be no surprise to people, nor should they be judging to another's pain and stress. Pregnancy is stressful enough without having to explain yourself to people who will more than likely judge you as 'unfaithful'.

It has happened to me, but since then I have read up on it. And come to the realization that I really do not care what other people think; it only shows them as ignorant and judgmental. That is not my problem, it is theirs. All I can be concerned about is bringing another child into a world swarming with hate & prejudice.

If anyone would like to contact me, who is experiencing the same please do so bundy.***@****
ok put it this way, my partner got it done 8 years ago and i got clips put on my tubes 2 years ago.  IM BLINKING 4 WEEKS LATE and got borking/sickness syptoms (symptoms) every blinkiing day that come on without any thought.  So anything is possible!!!  I keep hoping that I have missed a period  out, going to give it 2 more weeks and then I am getting a pregnancy test.  Home pregnancy kit tests girls dont show up until 5 - 6 weeks after conception!!!
2 Days ago I woke up with my boobs hurting so bad i couldnt bare to even put a bra on. My back is starting to hurt today as well and some foods i normally like taste very different. I took 2 home prego tests both Neg???? I have been prego once before with this pain but the home test showed postive then ??? Im going to the docters tmw too see but my Fiance also have a visectomy that he never got checked out 3 years ago we are both young hes only 28.
I wanted to come on here and let you all know that I got pregant back in 2004  two years after my husband had his vasectomy.   A couple of things I wanted to mention.  First of all he had tremendous pain after the procedure.  Had a fever, etc.  I thought he was being a baby.  No offense to any men out there but I wasn't giving him any sympathy really.  Well two years later I end up pregnant. It takes me three months to realize I am pregnant.  I never even considered the possibility even though I was late on my period ( I wasn't paying attention to that) and after while of being dizzy and just sick constantly a friend talked me into doing the test.  The second point I wanted to mention is that my hubby never took his sperm back to be checked.  We just sort of assumed it worked.  Well the best advice I can give to anyone is to take it back if you seriously do care about becoming pregnant again.  We ended up going on to have baby number three and love her dearly ( in fact she is just the easiest going child and a true joy) .  We did go back and find out that my hubby had TWO swimmers.  No kidding. TWO.  After that I got my tubes tied.  Now sitting here six days late wondering HELLO is this happening to me again???  I know I sound paranoid but screw me once shame on you screw me twice shame on me ( no pun intended )  I guess we will just see. ....  It may not be the worst thing in the world but it would lead me to wonder is this kind of thing going to continue to happen to me.... if so I could be seventy years old and still popping em out :)
Well my dear hubby had a vasectomy 2 years ago and got the all clear!  So needless to say, a few days after intercourse I had the same feelings I had when I was pregnant with my other two daughters.  My gut was telling me that I was expecting!  My husband told me that I am just imagining it.  It was 2 days before xmas (Dec 22nd my daughters 3rd bday) I took the test and that positive appeared in seconds!  I went into the doctors where they did another urine test and sure enough it was positive.  I then went to do the blood test to see if it was a pregnancy or menopause (I am 43) and got the results back that I am pregnant, about 4 weeks!  My hubby and I cannot believe it.  He is going in to have his sperm checked to see what is going on.  I am in shock!  We had gotten rid of all our baby stuff etc... must be a miracle!  it is meant to happen.  I just pray for a healthy baby!  
My husband got fixed a year ago and now am 9 days late and it is so scary i already 3kids and really dont want another one i thought once he got this done i would have nothing to worry bout any ideas of what eles it could be.
When gods in controll anything is possible! Please let me know if u r? Thanks
I am 42 and now 2 months late.  My BF had his vasectomy 14 years ago but I am having all the symptoms.  Haven't taken a test yet but plan to do so today.  Here's the funny thing.....I have a BS in Animal Science with an emphasis on reproductive physiology (specifically equine) and guess what....AI is a common procedure in horses and I have had diluted semen samples come in that when tested multiple times had no live swimmers.  Seeing as shipments are costly when dealing with expensive stallions you just put it in the mare anyway and just hope.  I can't tell you the number of times we ended up with a pregnant mare from "dead" sperm.
I am 40 and my husband is 33. He had a vasectomy over 7 years ago and I found out I was pregnant in April. Unfortunately, I had a miscarriage 2 weeks ago. When I called to make an appt at the OB/GYN office and told them they weren't surprised. They said it is rare but more common than you think. I didn't think it possible, but it happened to me, and I've been premenopausal for over 3 years now. Just goes to show you that God is in control of everything. <3 Julie
Im 36 yrs old and between my husband and I we have 3 kids 18, 16, and 7. He was able to get me pg by breathing at me. (we've lost 3 babies). after my 7 yr old we had the last ups but unfortunately it was a miscarriage so my husband had a vasectomy right after that one... about 4 years ago. but he NEVER went back for his "final countdown".  My husband in the last year has been complaining that one of his testies gets real tender. I've always wanted to have one more. I'm not "late" but i can't get enough sleep, i even leave work after lunch to nap for a couple of hours (im in sales so I manage my own schedule) and I get hm after wk and im sleeping as well as going to bed earlier. been nauseaus on and off for a week but I also want to eat the entire kitchen... at work they say I have a "glow" and i'm finding myself drinking mineral water just like i did when i was pg with my 7 yr old. i guess after reading all of the comments above i've realized that it is possible since most of the research i've done say's its NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE... if it was cut, burned and put away... it aint happening!... but i kindda would like for that little miracle to happen.... should i get my hopes of a possibility?
yes,yes,yes  I am pregnant.  My husband had a vasectomy 5 years ago, never went back for confirmation, but figured since the doctor cut, cauterized, and removed about a 1-2 inch piece of the vas that he SAW, that he was OK.  Well, 5 years later I am 6 weeks late and have all the symptoms of being pregnant.  I took a home p.t. (positive), one at the doctor's(positive), and an ultra sound (definatly).No one could believe it--the doctor has done over 1,000 of these, and said the chances are 1 in 20,000.  I knew, of course, it had to be my husband's, but after researching realized that the chances of finding sperm in his semen (dead or alive) were close to nill.  We submitted the sample and.......there were hundreds of them swimming around THANK GOD.  So no doubt he is the father.  He said he believed me that it was his before the test, but how can't you have some doubt?  I did.  The doctor's had me convinced that this couldn't happen.   I was convinced the semen sample would show up nothing, and that if I did have a DNA test who knows? I hadn't been with anyone else, but even I had doubt--if this could happen when everyone else said it was practicaly impossible.  So it turns out my husband is a medical miracle.  The doctor couldn't say for sure but he thinks the sperm somehow made their own pathway out, or the vessels regenerated?  I feel horrible for the people who have gone through this and can't prove that there is sperm, but I know if this can happen to me, it could happen to anyone.  I can deal with an unplanned pregnancy, but not with my husband wondering if I cheated, and all the "facts"  saying I must've.  
So WOW is all I can say! I kinda feel a little better now.  My husband had a Vasectomy over three years ago (aprox Aug. 10, 2007) and we have four children.  I never felt that I was done having kids, but my hubby didn't want to have any more so I agreed to him having one.  Anyways, he came home on leave in Nov. and it is a month since he's been gone and I have every pregnancy symptom except the being late part - waiting on that one, but I am way too scared to take a test.  Symptoms are: cramping, sick, headaches, back ache, tired all the time, bumps around nipples and darker, and peeing all the time too.  There are more on certain days like cravings.  So, my hubby never went in to get his swimmers checked when supposed to, but it's been three years without any other method of birth control.  Can this really be happening?  I would be ecstatic and actually have been praying that God would allow his vasectomy to grow back so that I could have more of his children.  I know so many say it's not possible, but then I read so much of where it is.  Kinda crazy and I may take a test soon, but trying to wait for a couple more weeks to see if I really miss a period.
I was researching online about vasectomy failure rates and ran across this site.  My husband had a vasectomy about twenty years ago.  We have been married for almost ten years.  When we got married I thought I didn't want kids then five years into the marriage my heart started to change now I want one more than anything.  I am 39 and do not have any children.  The research I have done does not recommend a reversal after ten years.  So the only way for us to have a biologically related child is sperm retrieval and ivf, which is very expensive and invasive.  Also the research I have done, show adoption even more expensive.  Sperm donation from a sperm bank is a inexpensive way but then what do you tell the child?  
I have been praying for things to regenerate so he can become fertile again.  I figured it was a lost cause until I read all the vasectomy failures above.  I know it's still a long shot, but I know all things are possible with God.  However, I hate to get my hopes up too high then be crushed.  I know my age is such that I don’t have a ton of time to "wait and see".  So I am left confused, but encouraged by others experiences.  
Thank you to all the people who shared their stories.

PS.  My brother is a confirmed result of a vasectomy failure!  I never asked my Dad any details like what method his vasectomy was, but it was performed in the early eighties.  
I am 41, mother of 5.  My youngest are 17 and a half years old(twins). My husband had his vasectomy when I was 7 months pregnant, I had been regretful for signinig the 'permission slip', praying for a good 12 years that his body would somehow repair itself. These past 5 years have been great, all my kids are indepndant, responsible, young adults. alowwing my husband and I to enjoy travelling and each other in a whole new free kind of way.
I have not had my Cycle now , for at least the last 3 months.  I say 3 because it could possibly be 4. I have not had to worry about 'paying attention' to my cycle for the last 17 years, so exact dates are unknown. I was not going to post any thing here, but changed my mind, because I am going to doctor for THE results tomorrow. And if I found out I am actually Pregnant well then I would definitely post it here anyhow, because either way pregnant, thyroid, menopause or even cancer, we have all come here to help or be helped via info... so, I sure have been helped so far by these posts(not feeling so crazy in my mind anymore, wishing I would have found this sooner, tho)     LOL
And tomorrow I will definitely tell y'all how the story goes! (but not before hubby finds out) P.S. If I find out I am blessed with Life again, we will be overjoyed, BUT a DNA is a must...I insisted, even tho I know the truth, I understand what obviously goes on in anybodys head
I'm 38.  My fiancee is 38.  I had my tubes tied six years ago, he had a vasectomy four years ago.  We are not testing to see if I'm pregnant.  I feel like I'm insane for even thinking it..... never in six years did it even cross my mind!  however, I had my period on 12/20/10... on the 6th of January I started feeling strange in my breast, tenderness, very erect and sensitive nipples.  Smells were driving me crazy!  Onions!!  Love them and the smell made me want to puke!  I thought, crazy.  Blew it off.  And then montgomery glands formed around my nipples, and blue veins across my chest... and I was sooo bloated.... and sick to my stomach.  I'm thinking.. flu.   Now, a red flag like when I was prego with my boys, I can squeeze my nipples and colostrum comes out!!!  So on 1/20 I thought I started my period.  Nope.  It was only a few spots of blood, started brown, then reddish/watery.  It did that for a little bit for a day and a half.. and then two days later, one time.   I feel like I'm sea sick.  I've taken hpt test, negative.  However, I tested late with my other two kids.  I made financee go get his swimmers checked!   We should know his count by Friday.... I'm hanging out and waiting.  Yes, I called my doctor.  They said wait two weeks and see if symptoms go away.. they're not.. and if I severe cramps, go to ER immediately.  I have cramps now, like nothing but they're there.. and I never have cramps.  I've felt like my period started, run to the bathroom and nothing.  I feel like a crazy woman for even writing this out.. but after reading this.. holy crap it's happened!!!!!   I'll keep you posted.... and if anyone has heard anything about this, please let me know... I'd be interested.   I never get sick.  I had a full blood work up in Nov of '10, and I'm assuming that if something was wrong, they would have caught it then..... any comments?  would appreciate it.  
we are now testing to see if I'm pregnant.. not "not testing!!"  SORRY.
My husband I have three children, ages 6, 5 and 4 yrs of age. In February 2007, three months after our youngest was born, he had a vasectomy. He went back a couple times to see if all was "clear" and it was. Well now, 4 years later, Im sitting here with no period. My last period was January 19, 2011. I have 28 day cycles, and Im 5 days late. When I was 2 days late, I had this slight cramping for about an hour, and then it went away. Since, then Ive been noticing my breasts seem "fuller" and "tender". Other than that and a missing period, I dont know what it is. In the back of my mind, I thinking could I be pregnant? I havnt tested yet. Im too scared to. apart of me doesnt want to be pregnant, but then before my husband had a vasectomy, I always wanted 4 kids... I dont know if I can handle 4 kids though. Im still going back and fourth as to either wait it out, or test.
Hi I read your story and felt I had to reply as your situation sounds similar to mine. My husband had vasectomy in Feb 2006 whilst i was pregnant with our third child. My last period was November and when I went to my GP about some blood test results (Thyroid probs) I happened to mention my period was 3 weeks late. Test showed positive and I was sent for early US due to previous pregnancy complications. This was my 5th pregnancy. I carried baby for 9 weeks then started to bleed and unfortunately had a missed miscarriage. My advice if you feel it do a test put your mind at rest I dont think i will ever take anything for granted and anything can happen the emotional stress is just not worth waiting.
Im so sorry to hear about your loss. My husband went to the drs that actually performed the vasectomy, today. About a year after he had the vasectomy, he started to get depressed, gained weight, and had alot of health troubles, it also effected his sex drive. In may of last year he had his testosterone levels checked and turned out to be really low! 150 for a 32 year old male! He has been on testosterone suppliements since then, and now there is a new procedure out that they can insert pallets in the hip area that contain testosterone instead of getting the shots, or taking medication. He has a problem remembering to take his meds. So we actually went back to the dr that did his vasectomy for his testosterone problem. We brought up how I was a week late and the dr gave me a kind of foolish looking face, Like he doesnt believe me. Ive heard of stories of couples who have had a vasectomy done and turned out to be pregnant. It makes me mad that he thinks I couldnt be pregnant after he did the vasectomy four years ago. What was really kind of freaky, was that it was exacly 4 years ago TODAY that my husband had it done! And we end up in the same office where it happened today! Kind of spooky.,,,,

I did pick up a cheap test tonight on our way home. I havnt taken it yet, but Im thinking of waiting til the morning.
well, I took a pregnant test tonight. It was negative. It was the dollar tree kind. I didnt want to spend alot of money on a test, so I picked up one from the buck store.

Kind of bugs me to think that my breasts are so sore, and Ive been hungry, something over the past couple of days Im not like. So, Im thinking maybe its due to stress? I have no clue... all I know is that I normally have 28 day cycles, and today was day 34. I didnt use first morning urine, because being almost a week late, I thought any urine should be good now that Im that late.

I guess I will just see what comes about in the next few days ahead.
I am married been with hubby since I was 17 , I am now 37
my story goes like this
I have four children aged 17,15,11, and 8
after my third I got very ill with post natal depression infact I had it sooo bad I was hospitalised , at this stage I thought I have two boys and a girl and cannot afford to get so ill aagain , so hubby went to see dr and it was agreed at the age of 25 he should have a vasectomy .he went ahead in 2000 ...we got on with life and I got well again . He went back for tests all good . then in april  2002 I missed a period boobs were killing me , although I knew he had the snip , and I can't be pregnant I still felt a niggeling doubt I may be pregnant ........so I bought a test low and behold it was positive , I fainted in the shop chemist that gave me the result ..no it can't be true , I called my husband he was in disbelief also , we went to the drs who suggested andy go for semen analasis test ......he did this and it came back clear , so we were confused , it could of got messy with our relationship if my husband was not supportive and believed me .
he was asked to do another few tests over several weeks all came back clear .........(firing blanks) so he said to the dr how come my wife sharon is pregnant if I am clear , the drs responce was " GO HOME ASK HER "
HE CAME HOME THAT EVENING AND SAID IF THIS BABY IS NOT MINE YOUR OUT THE DOOR .i screamed at him how dare he think that , but no wonder !!! as he is clear I am pregnant ,
next step we wrote for answers to the hospital , no answers to it , they said he is clear and thats that , so I got a top london solicitor he said ask the hospital to fund the dna tests ,
they agreed providing he was the biological dad , if it prooved he was not they wanted to be reinbursed the £890 fee for the test ,
of course I agreed ...to cut a long story short , we had a little boy (my fourth )
in 2002 , we named him zebedee meaning gods gift , desite the fact I am non religeous , I felt he was a miraculous conception .
we had mouth swab dna tests done in hospital by a private dr paid for by the nhs ......a week later the tests came through the post
HUSBAND IS THE BIOLOGICAL FATHER !!!
which we knew however all I got from the NhS WAS A LETTER TELLING US THAT HE IS THE FATHER AND THEY HAVE NO POSITIVE RESOLUTION ,
WELL despite all this I wanted to sue for pain and suffering of all this I could of lost my marrage over this .my solicitor got an independant urologists report stating that it is possible for a vasectomy to recanalise produce a baby and de canalise again , due to this we could not sue !!!! .............as he signed a disclamer saying he agreed that the vasectomy is only 99,9 % there is that  1 % it can fail ...........however his tests showed it didnt fail , but they say it failed even if he is clear as I was pregnant ............we moved on with our life after being in every national paper
HEADLINES ........STREILE FATHER PRODUCED BABY .
we were in the closer magazine too .
After alll this I decided to get my tubes clipped , I had pain so paid £3,500 to  get professor winstons(he does life tv documentary programmes) the one with curly back hair and thich black mustache ...I  got his  collegue to reverse it up in hammersmith hospital , they took 3 hours to put my tubes together I didn't want more kids however didnt want the pain from clips ......this gave me a 50% chance of falling pregant ....who cares I thought .
my son zebedee is now nearly 9 years old ....
We decided to move to Australia with our 4 kids and 3 cats last year , we have been here for 6 months now , I have missed 2 periods which is not normal for me , boobs hurt bad had some brown spotting no period .
definately can't be pregnant after hubby firig blanks and now less fertility chance as been messed around with tubes , not only that I am now 37 .......

BIG MISTAKE i did a test as to put my mind at rest ....two lines came up ...
I cried and cried , my life I thought after my last baby 9 years ago I would start having my life back ........no such thing , I went with hubby to see a obstetrician here in perth , he did a scan in his office , there it is I am 8 weeks ...................vasectomies are **** .........modern science is **** .
I am against the killing of animals let alone my baby .......I can't get my head around this to happen twice .............this dr wants all the paper work from england to look at newspapers etc , he said this will make the history books ....hubby went for semen test yestaerday ...will follow up on findings next week .
story in paper ............

Our baby had a DNA test

SHARON Legg, 30, and her husband Andy, a 31-year-old double glazer, live in Southbourne, Bournemouth, with their children Aaron, 11, Harley, nine, Cherry, five, and two-year-old Zebedee. Sharon says:

I'D suffered from post-natal depression and after having Cherry we decided not to have any more children.

Even though he was only 25, Andy decided to have the snip four months after she was born, in November 1999.

The sperm tests were clear, but just to be on the safe side we used contraception for a few months.

Things started getting back to normal, but then I missed a period.

I told Andy I was taking a pregnancy test, but he said it was a waste of time. When I saw the result I nearly fainted.

Andy rang the doctor, who said it was very rare for a vasectomy to spontaneously reverse. So he went back for another sperm test, which showed he was still sterile.

When Andy asked how that was possible, the doctor said, "I suggest you go home and ask your wife". They even sent a letter to say that he was sterile and they could not provide a "positive resolution" to our situation.

My so-called friends joked about the baby being the milkman's. Even our families were not sure what to believe. I was so worried that I kept having nightmares where my baby turned out to be an alien.

When he was born, we named our son Zebedee because it means "God's gift".

I was shaking like a leaf when we got the DNA -
but they showed that he is 99.9 per cent Andy's son. highest possible result

I was so relieved that we could just get on with our family life.

Zebedee is our little miracle.
I'm late on my period but my husband has been clipped, I have two kids and he has two kids from a previous marriage but I asked him if he went back and got his sperm count checked afterwards, he said no! He never went back. I always wanted one more baby but I didn't think it would be so soon, I'm never late but I still haven't started and I'm also taking diet pills and working out. So my question is am I over reacting? Or can it be a result of the pills and working out?? Or is it really possible that I'm pregnant? I know I'm fertile but I didn't think this could be possible.. any help would put me at ease!!!

Hi there, I am 31 years old and I have been experiencing some weird symptoms.  I am leaking a white/clear substance from my breasts, headache, dizziness, slimy/sick feeling only in the morning and I am over a week late for my period.  I have had some cramping and just when I think I am going to start....nothing.  My husband had a vasectomy about 10 years ago while our daughter was 6 mths old.  BUT....he never went back to get checked & I know it sounds naive of me to say "it hasn't happened yet, how could it now?" but that's what I am thinking.   We haven't made love since last month (because of an injury) so I don't think I am pregnant but obviously it's possible from all of the posts I have read here.  I think I will wait to test and wait to see if I start AF soon.  Any comments welcome :)
I guess I should also mention my weight gain, I have gained about 8 lbs. in the last 3 weeks, I cannot stop eating, day or night : (
Hi everyone. My husband had a vasectomy almost 4 years ago while i was still pregnant with our twins, we already had 2 children and he decided 4 was enough. For the past 2 weeks i have been feeling sick, faint on a few occasions, am sensitive to smells, peeing more often and i'm really aware of my uterus. I have tested twice but my period wasn't late at that point, i am now 2 days late but i'm too scared to test. I'm scared of what it could be if i'm not pregnant and what everyone will say if i am cos he's been done.

It's reassuring to see it has happened to other people. I have expressed my concerns to my husband and although he seems sure i'm not pregnant he has never once asked if i have been unfaithful, so if i am i know i wil have his support even if he is somewhat reluctant.
My husband had a vasectomy six years ago.  Our kids are 10, 8 and 6.  Last spring, I felt pregnant and sure enough, I bled out like a miscarriage as soon as I caught on.  But a person always questions themselves so I didn't mention this to my hubbie at all.  I miscarried before my first child twice so I guess I should have trusted my intuition.  Sure enough, I was really sick, confirmed pregnancy and within a week, I'd miscarried again.  It's kind of a sad thing.  I'm starting to think of myself as a failure.  But if as some of you say, what's meant to be is meant to be.  I hope we have another one and that I can carry it now that I know his vasectomy must not have done the trick.  Robyn
I'm going through the same problem my fiance had a vysectomy because he didn't want any more kids. Well two years later Igot pregnant and  was upset that I wouldn't abort. He went to his Dr. and they told him his spem count was negative but he has to do another test next month. Well to make a long story short he has moved out, got a girlfriend and left me and our other two children to suffer with the mortgage and finance's. I'm really hurt because I know I didn't cheat and for him to move on so fast I feel like he was already dating someone else and thhat why he got yhe vysectomy in the first place.
My husband had a V 7 years ago.  Our children are 11 and 9.  Life has been so crazy the last few moths I didn't connect the dots.  I have been extra tired I come home and take 4 to 6 hour naps sometimes.  The Last week my boobs have been swollen and sore. I even yacked up my vitamins a few weeks back. It wasn't til yesterday that I looked at a calender and realized it's been 8 weeks atleast since my last cycle.  Generally I wouldn't consider pregnancy, maybe I should.
I am going thru the same thing. My boyfriend had a vasectomy many years ago. I am about a week late. Nausea and sore breasts, cravings I don't normally have. My boyfriend says no way! It can't be. He was married for 15 years and I think his V was about 12 yrs ago. I'm freaking out! I don't know what to do or think. Has anyone been there? I feel a bit better reading everyone elses posts. But I am so scared. Help!! it would be amazing because we want to try to have children together. But I am so scared he won't believe I didn't cheat. I have always been 100% faithful.
21 year old i have a tw0 year old boy and my husband got clipped a year ago.  About two weeks after my last period i just felt pregnant.  little bit og nausea, just feeling off.  My periods have always been 28 days bang on since i was 11 never been late or missed (except for my first pregnancy).  expecting my period in three days i took a pregnancy test two days ago and it was negative (i knew it was to early :s) so trying to be patient to wait for my period but my gut and my head all tell me i'm pregnant.   I wish i could just know!  updates later.
My hubby had a vasectomy 6 years ago.  I had a chemical pregnancy two minths ago and can only hope that I will become pregnant again.  I didn't think I wanted more children until the chemical preg and now it's al I can think about.
I'm 38 years old ,i have two children from my first marriage age 19 and 16. I have three children with my second husband age7,4 and 3,one to many for my liking in fact we  found out i was pregnant with the last one the day before my husband had his vasectomy it was a complete schock and lets just say i had a fair few tears. Oliver was born and he had really bad colic and i got postnatal, the last three years have been so hard for me and my marriage, getting better and getting my marriage back on track. It's only just getting better and a little easier!
Then guess what! ....Yes three and half years after my husbands vasectomy my period is a week late then i just have some spotting for a few days which is not like me, then sickness kicks in. I'm thinking no it's not possible, but to put my mind at ease i ask my husband to buy a test ,he thinks i've gone mad but reluctantly goes and gets one.
POSITIVE  ,we can't believe it ,i think it must be wrong until i come across this website      what am i going to do?     help     six kids  !!!  Kerry
Hello. My husband had a vasectomy over twenty years ago. I'm a month and half late. Never this late. I've made an GYN appointment. We are hoping I am. I have all signs, but it might be in my head since WE want one. Pray for me too. If Sara had a baby at her later age. With God anything is possible. Ask you shall receive. Deligiently seek him.
Hi can u help I'm late n my boyfriend ad the ssnip 4)year go can't get pregent
Hi everyone
I'm 34 & have 4 kids 14,11,9,7 my husband had a vasectomy 8 yrs ago while i was pregnant with baby no 4 .he went back & had all the checks done and all was fine (no swimmers) Ive now missed 2 periods , I've seen my gp a few wks ago as was feeling tired & have swollen glands in my throat ,I was sent for blood tests checking my thyroid & a full blood count was done (apart from looking for pregnancy ) they all came back fine ,I'm a bit emotional but don't have any other pregnancy signs ,but then I didn't with my other pregnancys either , I just can't get the idea of being pregnant out of my head but keep telling myself don't be stupid it's almost impossible , think I'm gonna do a test just to put me out of my misery ,
My fiance' and I are pregnant. I had a v done over 20 years ago.About 6 months ago we went on a romantic 2 week cruise for holiday.It was VERY romantic..We figure she caught a little fish while we were on the cruise.(I have since tested positive for sperm) We have been together for almost 6 years and were stunned.
About a year ago I noticed a small amount of pain after ejaculation.I also could feel what seemed like the two cut ends had now formed back into one.I consulted dr,got ultrasound which confirmed the rejoin. He said since it had been 20 years,there wasn't much chance of planting a seed, so we went about as normal.All to say,my libido has been very high since noticing these changes.Well, now I guess I see why.I guess Nature will have it's way no matter.We should have been more cautious,but she HATES condoms,and I let myself believe the dr was right..Oh well,we will manage somehow.I wish I had done the sperm count before, but then again,the way I love her, would it have mattered..