Heavy/painful periods, surgical procedure NOVASURE

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I am 35 and have had three kids. I have had painful, heavy periods since starting at age 12. After having a breech baby, I ended up with a stage one bladder prolapse. Because of my heavy periods and the prolapse, my doc suggested surgery for the prolapse and a possible hysterectomy when I am closer to the age of 40. He felt I was still to young for a hysterectomy. Anyway, I recently read about a surgical outpatient procedure called NOVASURE that can kill the inside linning of the uterus causing a women to have very light periods or none at all. This procedure can only be done if your done having kids. I AM JUST WONDERING IF ANY OTHER WOMEN OUT THERE HAS HAD HEAVY/PAINFUL PERIODS AND IF THEY HAD THIS PROCEDURE DONE TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM. I have tried the nuvaring, and the pill to combat this problem, to no avail. Any thoughts or advice on this issue would greatly be appreciated! GOD BLESS!
I have no clue. I just didn't want you to think that we are ignoring you. I know sometimes it can seem like that but many of us just don't post a reply if we don't know about the topic.
Mandi
Hi I don't know why your doctor,want go a head and do the hysterectomy.I was 31 years old when I had mine.There are women way younger than me that have had hysterectomy.As for the Novasure,this is the first time I have heard of it.What you need is a second opinion.Your bladder needs to be proped back up,but it all so sounds like you could use a hysterectomy.I am not a doctor.I am only giving you advice.Take care of your self.TNT406
I'm having a hta (hydro thermablator) done Wed. I believe it is similar to the novasure.  I'm having done for heavy periods.  I'll let you know how it goes.
I have been having periods that are causing be to become anemic to the point of risking heart failure (so my doctors says anyway).  Personally I don't want to go through a hysterectomy if I don't have to. I simply can't afford the down time of 5-6 weeks recovery, so I'm having Novasure done on Tuesday.  My doctor seems to think this will work out well for me and I won’t have to go through the other side affects of a hysterectomy.  I hear it’s about 96% effective.

I'll let you know how it goes....
Hello,I am  37 years old.  I have had four pregnacies.  My first two pregnacies were miscarriages, my third was a stillborn, and my last was a beautiful baby girl.  My daughter is now 6 1/2 years old.  She is my pride and joy.  I went for my annual exam with a new OB/GYN physician.  She obtained all of my medical history along with my family history.  Then she introduced me to the surgical procedure called Novasure.  I found myself wanting to know more about the procedure.  I felt that I was a good candidate for the simple reason of reaching the pre-menopausal stage, heavy bleeding, and experiencing anemia.  I felt as if I was exhausted all the time.  Even when, I got eight hours of sleep or more, I looked as if I was ran over by a semi-truck.  I asked my doctor for the specific name and I researched it on the internet for myself, because the brochure that was in the office, just did not state specific information to lead me to a definite decision to whether or not I wanted the procedure or not.  I made a decision and decided to go for the Novasure Procedure.  I had the procedure done yesterday as an out-patient procedure.  I feel as though having the procedure was right for me because, I feel better because the procedure was done yesterday and I am feeling up to going to work on Monday.  If I were to have had a hysterectomy, then the recovery time would have been greater.  If I had it to do over again , I would.  I am a single parent  and I have both of my parents with cancer and they need me, so I felt better choosing the Novasure Surgical Procedure, because it is modern technology at it finest.

Rhonda
Houma, LA
HI........I HAD PAINFUL, PROLONGED PERIODS SINCE EARLY TEENS.  HAD ONE DOC MIS-DIAGNOSE MY ABDOMINAL PAIN AND SWOLLEN OVARY AS A "LARGE" OVARIAN CYST AND OPENED ME UP,CLOSED ME AND SAID "OOPS".  BUT ANYWAY.....I ENDED UP WITH 3 BOYS, FULLY GROWN NOW AND I DID OK UNTIL I WAS IN MY MID 30'S WHEN THE PERIODS BECAME LONG AND STRONG.  MY OB GUY SUGGESTED A HYSTERECTOMY BUT MY COUSIN WHO WAS A DR SAID THAT WAS RIDICULOUS.  WRONG....I WAITED UNTIL I WAS 50, SUFERED (WHY?) AND WAITED UNTIL IT DEVELOPED INTO ENDOMETRIOSIS... BECAUSE IT WASN'T COMMON PRACTICE.  MAYBE MY OB GUY WAS AHEAD OF HIS TIME BUT I WISH I HAD LISTENED TO HIM.  INSTEAD OF A PARTIAL HYSTERECTOMY I HAD TO HAVE A TOTAL ONE, AS AN EMERGENCY AND HAD SOME MINOR COMPLICATIONS BESIDES.  IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO HAVE ANY MORE CHIDREN, ARE SUFFERING WITH PROLONGED PERIODS AND PAIN, WHY NOT HAVE THE SURGERY DONE UNLESS YOU HAVE EXTENUATING RISK FACTORS.  I REALLY WISH I HAD.  I SPENT AN ADDITIONAL 15 YEARS, MISEREABLE FOR 1+ WEEK A MONTH. I DON'T WANT TO "RAG" ON THE MOSTLY MALE, DR. POPULATION (NO PUN INTENDED)..  BUT I TOLD MY CLAN OF MEN WHEN I WAS "HORMONING AND THEY JOKED"  THAT I WOULD GIVE A LOT IF THEY COULD JUST ONCE HAVE CRAMPS......ETC.  I HOPE THIS HELPS.
I had the Novasure done on Friday. Today is Sunday. I am doing well. Friday I had cramping after having Novasure done. Just a small amount of spotting. Not bad at all, only used 2 pads since Friday. I thought there would be more bleeding.  I will be back at work on Monday. Don't watch America's Funnest Videos after having the surgery. I laughed so hard I cried. It was a little painful. My husband and son were laughing too, I kept telling them it was not funny but none of us could quit laughing. OUCH.... Just dont do that. Other than that all is well. They knock you out for the surgery so you wont feel a thing. When they wake you up, you wont remember that either. They gave me Vicadan for pain 1 every 4 hrs. I only took 2 on Friday 4 hrs apart and I dont think they worked for cramping but by bedtime I only took 3 advil and slept fine. I have not taken any meds since. It's not bad. Just lay low a few days with a heating pad. I will write more later as I know more. Dr. said can take 3 or 4 months to know the results. But she said my surgery went fine and I was a great canidate for it. Good luck to all of you.
i had the novasure done five weeks ago a little light bleeding ithink the novasure is areal convienant surgery and it allows you to a easier recovery.
I just yesterday spoke to my doctor about this procedure following an ultrasound revealing a cyst, a fibroid tumor and a little swelling of my uterus.  I am 41 years old, 42 in a month and have been experiencing extreme bleeding, clotting, cramps and pain so bad I'm out of commission and popping advil like crazy to no avail.  My bones hurt...my doctor suggests this procedure and I told her let's do it.  I'm a little nervous after reading posts of periods continuing, months until you know for sure if it works, and what symptoms continue after this surgery?  do you still have pain?  Do you still feel "foggy headed" and have trouble focusing and feeling like you can accomplish your goals?  Anxiety etc...it's ridiculous.  Just praying it works as I'm an event planner and spend hours on my feet and of couse "the curse" seems to always happen to me on weeks that I have huge events with multiple vendors and 1200 guests plus...I can hardly get it done due to 7 days of period and the before and after symptoms.  Will this work?!?  
I had the Novasure procedure done on August 7th this year, due to very heavy periods and being very Anemic.  I had a watery brown discharge and on the 18th had a 5 day period.  I was very discouraged so I called my doctor and they said that it was not abnormal for this to happen.  I ended that cycle and continued the watery brown discharge until September the 7th when yet again I started another period.  This time lasting 10 days and then continuing with the watery brown discharge.  I have to admit they were much lighter then before the procedure;however, I have litterally been draining from down below for almost 2 months (because I ended my period 1 day prior to the Novasure procedure) ugh! I am started to get very upset with the whole ordeal.  Is there anyone else that has experienced the same problems?
Hey, I had the Novasure procedure done in the office. Recovery was tough for one day because I took Vidcon. Those pill made me sick. On my 2nd day, I was complete 100 percent better! I had brownish discharge going on for three months and worn thin pads. After that, I have nothing!! I haven't bought tampons or pads in five months! It is awsome! I assumed it is normal to have some watery brown discharge for a few months.
I had the Novasure procedure on Dec 20th 2007. I had some drainage/light bleeding  a couple days after the surgery. That come to a complete stop. However I was on my period when the surgery was done. I started light bleeding on Jan 2. On Jan 6. I experienced some really bad cramps, and heavy bleeding, passed a couple of clots. I contacted my Dr. on Jan 7 and was called in to be checked. My Fibroids where inflammed and kicking against the surgery. I was placed on some hormone pills to shrink the fibroids, today is better than yesterday.
hi i am scheduled to have the procedure the 18th. i am 30 and have only had heavy bleeding for a year and a half but am severly anemic....the novasure seems to be a very safe procedure, and has a very short easy recovery time. it is much safer than a hystorectomy because it is not as invasive. my dr said down the road, depending on the success of the novasure, i may still need a hystorectomy...but i chose this route first rather than major surgery. hope it helps
hi i'm going in for my novasure on the 26th of feb.I also have a fibroid my dr. gave me a med that stopped the bleeding you take for 25 days and the you start on the 1rst of the month again.But I have had heavy cycles ever since i was 12 so this hopefully will stop the bleeding.My dr.says there is a 50 50 chance I might have to have a subtotal hysterectomy.I know one of you ladys was put to sleep my dr. gave me all kinds of meds to take before the surgery.He says he will be injecting the wall and then the novasure will start.I praying that it will not hurt at all. How did it feel during the surgery for the ladys who have already gone through it.PLEASE!!!!!!!!! let me know thanks sooooo much GOD BLESS!
I know how you feel I had the nova sure done back in November and yes I have lighter periods then before however I still bleed pretty heavy I am waiting to see my doctor again.I hope you have better luck as time goes on.
Novasure is awesome, may not work for everyone but for those that it does it really improves those periods until you finally go through your changes.
I'm 37 years old and suffered from long heavy periods to the point of being anemic. I had the novasure done in August of 2007.  No pain at all.  I had about two weeks of light discharge.  Thats been it.  Nothing for five months now.  The novasure worked great for me, glad I did it.
I had NovaSure in December 12, 2007, I had a discharge for about two weeks and nothing until now maybe a little brown discharge. A couple of days ago I experienced some mild cramping and a little brown discharge. Today, I have a massibe migraine has anyone experience headaches?
I will be 40 next month and I had the NovaSure procedure done in August 2007.  I went in on a Thursday.  I had cramps for the rest of that day.  Friday when I woke up I felt like I had been stood on top of my head when they did the procedure, i was SO sore all over.  Saturday I was fine, took my girls school shopping and on Monday my girls started back to school and I went back to work.  I have never regreted having this done. I was sick of having to go home and change clothes in the middle of my work day, leaving a basket of groceries in the isle because I could "feel" myself loosing clots.   It was the best $$$$  I have ever spent!  I would recommend it to any.  3 days recovery is monumental to a working mother!!!
I am scheduled to have the procedure done this Thursday in office at 4pm. I am planning on going to work on Friday. What do you all think? Also, does the actual procedure hurt? Thanks! ARM
i had novasure on 2/28/08. i was given a valium and vicodin and eventually a shot to help with pain. Then i was given shots in my uterus before the procedure. LADIES PLEASE LISTEN UP! the pain was severe. the worst pain ive ever feltin life and i have given birth to 3 kids one 8lbs naturally. i cried yelled and screamed, even begging them to stop. i am now traumatized. I havent found anyone else who has experienced this. I feel like i was tortured. i dont know if the medicine didnt work or what but please talk to your doctors aout pain management before hand. Today on 3/6/08. i am still cramping whenever i move. i discharge is clear and i have no fever so i dont think i have an infection but i am literally scared to go back to the obgyn.
Please address the pain issue.  I was fine until I read the post from lyricalnik; is this normal?
I'm scheduled for 3/18.  Please give all the "gory" details.
Hi Lisa,
I had my procedure in the hospital and it was a piece of cake, I didn't even have any pain when I got home I took motrin just to be on safe side , but other then that you will be ok.  I had my procedure done 12/5/07 spotting on and off since the procedure but my doctor told it's normal but she wants to give me an ultrasound just to make sure everything is ok. Keep in mind that everybody is different!!!!
I had my novasure and D&C procedure done in the hospital on 3.21.08.  There was no pain involved.  My doctor and the hospital followed up with my by Monday and everything was great.  Since then (three weeks to be exact) I have had off and on bleeding.  The bleeding was totally gone for almost a week before returning today.  Of course I am awaiting a phone call from my doctor just to make sure this is normal.  My problem is simply if my doctor scraped and burned the lining of my uterus what else is there to be bleeding?
I just had the Novasure procedure, as well as a miniarc done yesterday.  All went extremely well and I was totally pain free!  Was done as on out-patient in the hospital and was put completely out.  With both procedures, I was in and out of the hospital (recovery room included) in less than 4 hours.  Haven't had a bit of problems or pain thus far...even went to my son's baseball game the same evening.
As of right now, I would do it again in a heartbeat!
I am scheduled to have this done on Tuesday, a bit nervous-unsure of what to expect.  It seems to vary depending on your situation; according to the doc, my uterus is small and clear.  I just have had very heavy bleeding for years, like many of you in the bathroom every hour on the hour to change, very large clots, pain and i can't take it anymore.
Last week i had the pre-testing done and sat with the heating pad all afternoon along with advil; i assume it will be the same when the proceedure is done?

any advice will be appreciated!
I had this done yesterday, 5-28-08 doc said I won't need any pain meds!  I was wake and screaming the whole time.  90 seconds is to long.  Today I am sore but better, I never want to go back there again.  And I won't recommend this to anyone...
I had the Novasure procedure done 4 yrs ago /April of 2003 for heavy/painful periods that I was taking demerol for and being checked for hemorrage.  It went off without a hitch. I am now going to be 47 and have just started havin arua migraines..and I journaled the last 2 and it seems to be the pre cycle migraine and the post cycle migraine..anyone experienced this? Thank you!
Oh correction! it's been 5 yrs lol Now I know Im going into menopause because my memory is shot! lol
I had this procedure done July 7th, 2008. I wish I would have gotten another opinion first. My Dr. did not listen to me at all. I guess my question was this, I have had havy periods and pain for 2 years. I never knew when I had my period or not. It lasted sometimes for months. It wrecked 2 vacations, pants and embarressed me on more than 1 occasion. I am 40 years old and not having any more children. I wasn't interested in having "lighter" periods, I was interested in having no periods. I am a Poilce Officer and have to carry around my waist an extremely heavy belt containing all my equipment. I kept asking the Dr. if I could still carry my belt after the procedure. He assured me it was fine. The morning after the procedure I was in extreme pain. I can't describe it, it was awful. I have a pretty high pain tolerence and couldn't take it. My husband called and ambulance and I was treated at the hospital for a perferated uterus. Caused by the machine. Apparently the machine has a device on it to shut off if they feel any air in it. So the risk of perferating your uterus is slim. There is no study though that shows what happened to me. The machine was burning a hole in my uterus, only to be seen after they remove it. I learned a big lesson. I should have listen to my gut. Women, we know our bodies!!!! I did not want a period and they could have removed my uterus and left my ovaries and the problem would have been solved. But the Dr. dangled the carrot in front of me. 50/50 chance of no period. I told him I wasn't interested in this procedure from the get go, but I allowed myself to be talked into it. It is now almost 2 weeks after the procedure, Iam back at work, but with pain and swelling still. I have a period which is worse than before. It also has an odor now. I have since traded Dr.'s and health clinics. I am doing my follow up from this procedure with my new Dr. Who has confirmed with me that I run my body, not the Dr.'s. I need to stress to everyone, each procedure is different. You know your body and what you want done. I WANT NO PERIOD!!!! NO PAIN!!!! I want to feel normal again, but know now I have to recover and start all over. Stress what you want with your Dr. If they don;t listen, go else where. YOU HAVE THE CHOICE.
Hi, I am scheduled to have the procedure done on 9/22. I have had heavy and painful periods since age 12. I have two kids and I do not want anymore kids.  I also have irregular bleeding and spotting between cycles. I am wondering if anyone had the tubal ligation with this procedure. What was the recovery period like? Wondering if I should have the ablation only?
I had the NovaSure procedure done about 3 years ago.   I used to have very heavy, long (7 - 8 days) periods.  I could not have a job, could not go anywhere on my heaviest days of my period.  No swimming for me when on periods.  It ruined our disney trip for the family, had to watch kids and hubby do the disney waterpark.  Now after simple surgery, my periods do not take over my life!  They are still long, but not out of control.  I don't have to wear heavy pads.  Before surgery, I had to wear tampon and pad, now I just wear a light pad or if I wear tampon, it last for a long time!
There are 2 negatives (I think from surgery) 1. periods are light, but longer -  last around 10 days.  2. i know when I'm ovulating and it makes me very tired and sick feeling.  that last for about a day.
But for me, I'm still glad I had procedure done.  I can go swimming anytime of the month!  And now I have my own house cleaning business, that I could of never done before!
I was sorry to hear about the poor woman who had this procedure done AWAKE.  I never heard of that.  I was sedated, as I am sure most are.  I cant imagine being awake for this.  I had it on monday afternoon at 1:40 and at 2:45 was at the pizza hut having pizza and soda!!  My procedure was on the 22nd of this month so I havent had the periods yet to compare anything to.  I was in a little pain after the procedure but my Lortabs took the edge off.  So far though I have had no pain or discharge.  I had a sonohystogram before this procedure and that hurt more than anything I had ever experienced, EVER!!!  So ladies if you have to have that done, be prepared!!  IT HURTS.  The novasure was great, easy and fast.  Hope it turns out well for everyone, and Lyricalnik, I am so sorry to hear about what you went through.  I hope every thing works out for you.  I dont know your exact situation, but it sound like you WERE tortured.  Hpe things get better.  I wll be thinking of you...
Hello - I am scheduled to have the Novasure procedure on October 21st.  I am 45 years old and have two adult children so I am definitely done having kids.  Thus meaning that I will be getting my tubes tied at the same time the Novasure procedure is done.  I have been dealing with heavy bleeding with my periods for two years now.  The first time I even talked to my GYN about it was when I had my regular monthly period that lasted 7-10 days (that was normal for me since I first got my period at age 12), it stopped for one day, and then WHAM! another full blown period.  My doctor had at that time discussed (slightly) this procedure, but since no abnormalities had been found when I had an internal ultrasound, I put it on the back burner figuring maybe it was just a fluke period.  
How wrong I was.  My periods kept getting heavier and heavier, and lasting longer and longer.  In the interim, I had another internal ultrasound which again found nothing.   What eventually sent me back to my GYN again was that between August 7 and September 7 I just never stopped bleeding.  I was beginning to be used to bleeding for two weeks straight (1st week light brownish, second extremely heavy with many passed clots), but this time after the heavy bleeding week I went back to brownish and then heavy AGAIN.  
So, back to the doc again and another ultrasound.  Guess what?  This time they found something.  Cysts on both of my ovaries.  Not bad, but I am scheduled for another ultrasound (my fourth at this point) to see just how bad it is.  Diagnosis:  Endometriosis.  Cure:  (hopefully) Novasure.  
Wish me luck because all this bleeding had also made me very anemic.  Almost to the point of needing to be in the hospital (per my GYN).  I am kind of nervous about getting this done, and dont want to two months down the road end up having a hysterectomy anyway, but at this point anything is better than living my life around my period.  Even if I still get it, if it is half of what it is now, I will consider it a solved problem.  Wish me luck.  I'll let you all know how it goes.
Had the nova sure procedure done on July 11, 2008 as an outpatient.  Surgery went fine, hardly no pain or bleeding afterwards.  It is now October and started having abdominal pain.  Had an internal sonogram done and was found to have a pocket of blood that was built up in my uterus that burst finally on its own, doctor didnt seemed to be concerned and have also found out now that I have a fibroid that is 5 cent.  Dr. doesnt seem to be worried about that either at this point since I am 50 and approaching menopause.  Im wondering now if the surgery worked for me as I am now bleeding again and wonder by now having the fibroid if that will mean the nova sure was a waist of my time and money.  Anyone else had this problem.  I think they should do an internal sonogram before you ever had the procedure done and this was never mentioned to me.
Hello again - so, here is an update on my progress.  I  had another internal ultrasound on the 14th and the cysts that are on both of my ovaries have grown.   Considering this fact and the fact that the Novasure procedure might help with my bleeding problem but not the endometriosis that I have, I decided to discuss with my doctor having a hysterectomy instead.  I just want this entire thing over with.  I dont want to have to worry about coming back for more surgery because the Novasure didn't work.  
My GYN agreed, and told me that the procedure she had thought would be a 1 hour procedure (Novasure and tubal ligation) was turning out to be more involved anyway.  She also told me that she would normally try to talk someone my age out of having a hysterectomy, but due to the other complications I have (the cysts) she was not going to even try talking me out of it.  
Next GYN appt. is this Friday for a pre-op.  At this point though, the Novasure has been cancelled so that we can discuss a hysterectomy.  

More to follow................
Recently as last Thursday, I had the novasure and essure procedures. My Dr. whom I researched first and the procedures, went off without a hitch.
I was knocked out for the procedure, but not general anthesia. And it was in a surgical unit at the hospital.
The first day, it did feel like I had just given birth. A heating pad and ibuprofen worked for me.  The second day, I felt pretty good.
I am 48, have had bleeding for the last 5 months. I have fibroids and a cyst on my left ovary.  
My Dr. was very thorough, regular exam and ultrasound before even discussing which way to go.
So far, my recovery has involved minimal bleeding.. more like a watery pink discharge. Some cramping, but nothing ibuprofen can't handle.
I was anemic and exhausted.  I know some of my recovery will be because of what I had been through before with the relentless bleeding. Maybe a bit from the procedures. But panty liners vs. tampons and pads too.  Nah!
I am hoping that the periods will stop all together.
Everyone is different in their recovery and what works for them.
This was definitley my best option.  
I'll try to update you all in a week or so.  

Make sure you do your homework ladies!
Thinking of having the Novasure done for pain and heavy bleeding. Wondering how you are doing almost two weeks out?
I just had 3 biopsys done in the doctors office, it was horrible and more pain than I have ever experienced in my life!!  I am scheduled to have novasure done in the 1st week of December, I am scared.  After my last experience which I'm still recovering from coupled in with this procedure...confused about what to do.  There are many mixed reviews.  My periods are so bad, I walk and feel like I'm releasing golf balls...not normal...any advice, do I go for it or not?
I am 47years old  , 2 kids and just had novasure procedure done  last monday ( dec  22, 2008  ) ...I had very heavy  periods (9-12 days then off for 2/3 then right back again) foralmost 2 years .  I also had a 6" mass removed from  my left hemipevis and  2 complex  crysts removed from my  rt ovary. Anyway,  I never thought that  anything could be worst then the pain u have giving birth..I was wrong:(  I woke up yelling in pain :( it was so bad that I actually begged for painkillers. I   was given something after  an hour of hearing " lets see if the motrin helps" well it didnt !  My husband didnt understand  why I wasnt told  that  this " could happen" ..neither did I..   3 hours after the procedure I was  told by a nurse that I hada fever  but it had gone down and that  I could stay longer if I wanted to..  I decided  to go home and  wait it out there ..   I was also told by my doctor that the reason  for all the pain was" trapped air" and that she did the best she could to get it  all  out ..  the best advise  I received was  from  a nurse  ( she had it done )  "give yourself an enema  when you get home" It  can help relieve some of the pressure .. ( air? ).  Before my
( been with her for  2 years now )  doctor left  she  gave me  a prescripition for pain killers as a " just incase"  and told me that all went very well  and  ( thank God )  no cancer was found.
So I get  home , barely  able to get into  some PJ's  and  flopped into bed.. ( no bleeding what so ever)  I woke up  and  made  my hubby  fill that  prescripition ASAP ..Popped 2 pills  and an enema and fell  right back to sleep.
I woke up tuesday morning (a very small amount of spotting), still very crampy and in alot of pain..   wed  same thing  but less pain .. I was also  up and about  getting things ready  for xmas ; pain was more tolarable (sp) ..  Thursday morning..  pain..same amount of cramping but  no bleeding  ..   ..as  you can see by the time stamp of this posting  I cant sleep as the cramps  are a little too much to bare;  pain is still there but not as extreme.. but NO BLEEDING!!   GOODLUCK  to everyone  who is thinking of having this done   and please remember that not everyone has the same reaction..  some of you may have pain and cramping
( from ok  to very bad ) and some may not feel anything at  all..  YOU  HAVE TO DECIDE  if it's worth  it..   and PLEASE  make sure you have all the details  concerning  this procedure  before  you  decide..
Can you tell me the approximate costs of this procedure?  My insurance is crazy and I just want to be prepared.  thanks!  
Hi, I had the Novasure procedure done on Sept. 29, 2009. I was having 7-10 day heavy periods so my Dr. recommended it. They put me to sleep and it was off to the races... I woke up in pain and was given meds.. After the procedure I had light bleeding and discharge for about 4 weeks, and cramped for about three days.  I got my regular period almost a week later. I am now on my second cycle since the procedure and haven't seen any changes. My period still flows heavily as if nothing happened. My question is how long should It take to see any results, or is this a sign that the procedure didn't work?
I am a 49 year old mother of a 6 year old.  I had the NOVASURE procedure done in 2007 and haven't had a period since (going on 3 years)!  I elected to have the procedure after consulting with my OB/GYN about extremely heavy periods and having an Iron deficiency as a result.  I thought she would recommend a Hysterectomy but was encouraged to learn about NovaSure as the recovery time is considerably less:  days vs.weeks!  I couldn't keep up with the demands of my toddler including trips to the park, pool, Target, etc. because the bleeding was so bad, not to mention flooding overnight.  It made an amazing difference in my life as a stay home mom.  I see that there have been issues and complications as noted in other posts, but you must trust and have faith in your own doctor.  If you don't feel good about them get a referral from a friend or from your PCP. I AM SO GLAD THAT I HAD THE NOVASURE PROCEDURE DONE.  I COULDN"T AFFORD THE RECOVERY TIME OF A HYSTERECTOMY - I WAS FINE AFTER A DAY OR TWO.  I WOULD SUGGEST THAT YOUR DOC PERFORM THE PROCEDURE IN A HOSPITAL AS I FELT SECURE THERE IN THE EVENT THAT THERE WERE ANY ISSUES DURING THE PROCEDURE OR UNDER ANESTHETIC.  
hi, i wanted to post my experience.  i had novasure back in 2007, i was 47, had heavy periods, cysts (they removed 1 huge one on right ovary) and removed about 12 smaller fibroids on cervix.  i had 1 year of bad drainage...and it smelled awful, sorry everyone but true.. i had lots of pain, cramps with it too.  my periods were awful painful for that 1st year, worse than ever, but bleeding was light. after that year, the bleeding increased, more and more, i am now almost 50 and i have heavy periods, i have clots, very painful, and i have known for the last year that i have cysts again.  i am also having a lot of pain in my ovaries, maybe it's cervix, can't really tell... sharp,twisting stabbing pains, before, during and right after my period ends.. the doctor tells me i'm in the other 50% that the novasure didn't take. doctor keeps me encouraging to get a hysterectomy, take ovaries out, i'm terrified, i didn't heal quickly or easily from novasure, cysts and fibroid removal.. i am holding on and praying GOD lets me get thru this all the way to say done.. but it's hard, and sometimes i want to run and have them take it out.
I am 38 years old. I have two children.I had periods that lasted 5 to 7 days , with 2 or 3 of those days being very heavy with head aches and extreme fatigue. So long story short , obgyn suggested novasure. I also was sceptical, reserched it a bit and desided to go ahead , I mean it sounded alot better than hysterectomy ,considering the down time with that type of procedure.

-First of all , I was awake for the novasure procedure, and there was some pain.
-secondly, I had alot of pain AFTER ,while I was in the recovery room.
-Third,I had terrible pain for the rest of the day .

Woke up the day after the procedure and felt fine.

Now for  my results:

-first period after procedure was pretty much the same
-second period was a bit less
-third less still
-5th or 6th Not sure what number I am at now ,but it is all most  completely gone, I can just use a litedays pad for the entire time , I am hoping it will completely go away , but if this is  what it will be like, then I can live with it .By the way it lasts for 2 or possibly 3 days .
To sum it up , I am glad I had the procedure done and I would recomend it to anyone.
Also a friend of mine had the procedure done, her results were also VERY good.

I had the NovaSure done in 2008, because of my heavy, heavy bleeding. I am a mother of 4, and very fertile and I decided to opt for the NovaSure instead of the hysterectomy. I am 39years, old and divorced I found myself back in the dating scene. Not being able to have a child had never been a concern of mine until now, I'm not sure if i want to remarry because if my new husband wants a child I can't give him that. I would say if you have to have it done then go with the novasure instead of a hysterectomy, I love not having a cycle, I havent had a cycle since I had the procedure performed...........NO PROBLEMS AT ALL FROM IT...but make sure you are done having children, things change...
Think this is wot we call a TCRE in UK. Trans-Cervical Resection of the Endometrium..

Had one way back in 1992. Brilliant. All PMT symptoms gone in an instant and no more periods.

Ask to go to the hospital with the best records for that op. (we have the wonderful NHS here) I went to Queen Charlottes. In those days it was done under general. U had to be sterilised at same time. Nowadays it might be done under local and its still poss for those who need to get pregnant (dont understand that bit).

I lost lot of blood in surgery so woke up with a drip in hand and had to stay a week.

Only lost some blood for 2 weeks say and only pain was "kicked by a horse". This was ok if u think about the poking your body has just had! Exoect to be very tired for a spell.

They did mention Id have an earlier menopause but what I didnt realise was that for me it would be pretty immediate and I wouldnt realise! Had problems for years due to lack of oestrogen and I cant use replacements (migraines).

So Id rec. it cos no periods and no stress is wonderful.

Had a pal have it in her local hospital and she does still have light periods.

Hope this helps.

I notice that everyone who had the novasure done in the hospital put to sleep felt nothing (obviously) but some dr's do it in office with you awake but medicated. I just got the novasure 2 days ago in my dr's office. I have to agree I did feel pain but the worst part was the cervical block where they have to numb your cervix I think it was about 5 shots and OMG that hurt I squeezed the nurses hand so bad! The 90 seconds werent too bad the cervical block was the worst part of it. If you have it awake the dr gives you lots of meds to fill before your procedure...you take a valium and 2 vicodin when leaving your house then another med dissolves in your mouth and a shot in your arm...along with antibiotic and cytotec you start taking the night before. Oh and anti nasea meds...I slept most of the day when I got home and felt ok pain wise just cramping but vicodin handled that. The next day I was feeling good. Now today I'm kinda sore if I sit down too fast. Other then that it wasnt so bad. BUT if I could do it again I would be put to sleep. The cervical block is painful! even medicated it's painful!! I have just a small amount of discharge and little bit of cramps today other then that so far so good. cant wait to see how periods go now. Good luck to all of you!
I had the novasure procedure done in my dr's office on June 21st.  I am now 6 weeks out and still don't know if I am happy I had it done or not.  First of all if you can get it done while being put under, GO FOR IT!!!  I have 2 children and this was the worst 90 seconds of pain I can remember.  It was AWFUL!!!! The shots to numb the cervix hurt too but not nearly as bad as the procedure.  I didn't think it would be as bad as it was.  But once the procedure was over the pain subsided and I was just a little sore the rest of the day. My problem with the procedure has been after I had it done, I had a pinkish bleed for about a week followed by clear fluid for about a week and then brownish stuff for a week and then had a full period for 10 days.  I saw my doctor and she told me that I have to wait until my second period to see if there is any change.  And it can take 6 weeks for everything to stop.  So today is exactly 6 weeks and as of yesterday I wasn't bleeding or leaking anything.  So I am keeping my fingers crossed for the next few weeks until my next period is due.  I really can't say one way or the other on the procedure yet but I can say it HURT LIKE HECK and I had to wear a pad for the past 5 and a half weeks.  So I am kind of skeptical about it all right now.
I did the Novasure procedure about three weeks ago so far sooo good I still spot once in a while but I'm happy too wear just a pantiliner instead of pads. Since I have had my second daughter Iv'e had horrible periods and my obgyn would put me on different birth control pills... Nothing would help me and endrometriosois runs in on my moms side of the family. My moms sisters had it my mom and my sister has had hysterrtomys... I went too see my family doctor and she remmonded me too a different doctor...I went too my first appointment told him my history and he said we can do laproscopy surgery too find out whats going on. I had a ultrasound done and it showed my lining was too thick so he told me about Novasure and suggested tying my tubes and removing the endometrosis and a dnc if I needed it. I had the procedure done on August 17 2010 so far soo good my back doesn't hurt like it did and I have my energy back the surgery was done in the hospital and I was asleep for it... I woke up with mild cramps and just spotting so far... My doctor said if this doesn't work the next step will be a hysterotmy I'm just thankful I found a good doctor........Melissa from Michigan
Hi, I had the novasure and a fibroid tumor removal  done April2009.  I was only light if you call it light for the first week after having it done. Then I got my period. Yup, it was not what I had hoped for at all.  Instead of getting better it was as if I had a "normal" cycle.  So at my follow up appointment I told my doctor that I was still getting my periods and he said ok lets shoot for no periods because that's what that procedure was supposed to do.  Well No they only got worse.  My fibriod tumor is back.  Last May it was as big as it was when I had it removed 11 months earlier.  Now its so bad I've had my period for 2 weeks and got it again after only 11 days.  This time its really worse and I am feeling really exhausted and painful.  Are there any other options besides going thru the novasure again???
There is a "dark side" to the Novasure treatment. There are serious side effects that I wish I knew of before I had it. All in all, I had the treatment which went fine. But then I had a side effect MONTHS after in that my period stopped coming OUT and started BACKING UP behind the uterine scar tissue left by the Novasure procedure. Then it started LEAKING out of my uterus into my abdomen. Pain...hideous "should I go the hospital?" type pain. Read this thread and become informed before you do this procedure. I wish I had. :-(

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Womens-Health/Pain-starting-2-weeks-after-Novasure/show/35456?personal_page_id=1415269#post_5705661
I had a tubal ligation and a DNC done yesterday  in out patient surgery. I was scheduled for NovaSure too. But after reading these and other things I have searched, I chose NOT to do the NovaSure at the last minute. I'm very glad that I did NOT have this procedure done. Thank you for all the warnings!
I am highly considering the NovaSure. As many ladies mentioned why they choose the procedure, I am in the same boat.
     Very heavy cycles, clotting heavly, last 7_10 days, heavy cramping to whear I have to use heating pad and motri. And hot tea to help. Sometimes layi.g in fetal position helps.
     In addition to being Anemic with Leg pain. Thank all of u for sharing.
     *****for the several woman who had it done in 2007, please update your pros and cons. Thank you
I had the procedure done 2 years ago and it has really worked for me. I have a light period that lasts one to two days, where as before it lasted 4 to 5 days of heavy bleeding. It was to the point that when i stood up at work that it flooded my clothes. The procedure itself was painless and I really didn't even take the pain medication afterwards. I would recommend this procedure. I was scared at first but I had enough and decided to go through with it. I really have had no problems since then. My friend had it too and it has changed her life also. I say it really works. I read all the reveiws before I had mine and I'm glad that I chose to have it done.  
had the procedure done 2 weeks ago.  I am 56 and still having reg heavy periods. I had had enough.  I had it done in the dr's office and yes it hurt a little but only lasted 90 sec.  nothing compared to the kidney stones i have had. but I have had constant cramping since the procedure and bleeding just like a period. I have to change pads every 2 hours. I also am so tired. Not sure I thought this is what would happen.  I am going to wait few more weeks before giving full opinion. just very tired of the bleeding.
I went in to have novasure this last friday. They took out my mirena and did the d and c they found polyps they removed those. They went to deploy the novasure and poked a hole in my uterus. My doc said my uterus is to small that is why it happened. I now have 8weeks of recovery for the hole in my uterus and didnt get the ablation done with the novasure which is what I went in for. Hopefully my uterus can heal and i dont have any internal bleed... Ifit doesnt heal and/or i have internal bleeding i will have to go infor a repair surgery.  if my heavy periods come back my dic said my only option is to have a hysterectomy... I hope all of you thar are looking into novasure or have it done have a better experience than i did...
Had the Novasure procedure done in the doctor's office yesterday. Took a valium and vicodin beforehand, given a shot in the arm before as well. This was probably the MOST PAINFUL experience of my life (I have 3 kids). After taking the above medication and then given 2 internal shots to numb the area, I had to ask them to stop and give me 2 more! This was before the procedure even really started! I have a fairly high pain tolerance,but OMG this was the most TERRIBLE 93 seconds of my life!!!!!!!!! Hopefully the results will be worth it. On the positive side, as soon as the instruments are removed and the procedure ends, it immediately just feels like menstrual cramps.
I am also thinking about getting this procedure done in my doctor's office while awake.  He told me he would give me 2 valium, 2 percocet, a lidocaine shot down there as well as rub lidocaine jelly on the inside.  Do you think this would be sufficient for the 90 second procedure?  Wondering what you took for your procedure?  Any feedback would be welcome if you could email me back at: ***@****
I am having heavy bleeding,and long & painful periods that last for 15days to a month this has been going on since 2005. I have had an D&C, IUD, Tubal Ligation,& Norethindrone medication & now the doctor wants to try & do an ablation. I am just sick of all of this and would like to just get an hysterectomy I'm only 28 & their get an hysterectomy I'm only 28 & their refusing I DO NOT WANT ANYMORE KIDS EVER what can I do. refusing I DO NOT WANT ANYMORE KIDS EVER I already have 3, what can I do?
Had tcre (transcervical resection of the endometrium) done in 96 and was the best thing I ever did. I didnt want kids but they made me wait till I was 40 before doing it cos back then it PROBABLY made you infertile and u had to have a tube-clamping at same time to be sure.

Never had a period again nor pmt. Had an early meno. which was ok.

Friend had op in different hospital and she had just very light periods from then on.

I would have had this from 13 onwards given the choice LOL. Felt a bit like id been kicked but didnt even use the painkillers... it was amazingly effective and easy all round. Hyst. leaves you unable to lift and stuff for 6 weeks(?) and its a full medical procedure. No competition!!!!

Good luck.
ok so my memory is shot these days LOL it WAS 1992. (see my earlier post to understand my confusion!!!

U do have to sit carefully for a couple weeks but small fry compared to the mega disaster that very heavy long periods was.

go for the place with the best results for the op would be my advice.

remember we are perhaps more likely to post to warn others of problems with op rather then when we get good results so you have to weight up what you have to gain with the likelihood of any complications.

search/ask for current info on particular op and the percentage who are disatisfied after.

Hugs ladies xxx
Thank you, I feel as you I want NO period, period!  I have severe painful flooding periods lasting 15-20 days and went to doc he gave me the pamplet for Novasure, my husband and I agree a hysterectomy is the right choice for me and I AM gonna tell them I want the hysterectomy so I can be done with the period, period.  Thank you your post nailed it for me.  I am 46 yrs old and I want this period to stop altogether.  I figured I would have hit memopause by now, and since I am about the right age for it, lets just take the monster out and be done with them.
I had the Novasure procedure done 5/9/12 after having 2 months of a very heavy non-stop period.  I am 47 years old. The doctor gave me 1 valium, 1 vicodin and a shot of tordal in the butt.  I was still pretty anxious and nervous.  She also gave me 4 shots of lydocane in the cervix, which were very painful.  Then the actual novasure procedure was 90 seconds.  Recovery was uncomfortable moreso on the day after - when I felt like I was having back labor and nothing I took relieved it.  I used a heating pad constantly for 2 days.  Had the procedure on a Thursday and was back at work on Monday, but not feeling 100%.  Have not had a period yet, just a small amount of liquidy discharge for a couple of weeks after (which I've been told is normal).   II did have a 7 pound weight gain since I had the procedure which I am working hard to get rid of.  The doctor insists it's not sue to the surgery, but I'm not sure what else it would be related to.  All in all, it was a positive experience and I am hoping it carries me into menopause without the heavy bleeding issues.
I had my novasure procedure done in 2007, a mother of three and bad periods since about 12. The first 3 months after the surgery I had heavy bleedind off and on then everything went normal. In the last year or so I have had a little bloating and light bleeding, maybe just a panty liner or two a day for 1-3 days then it's done. Some people say it's just stress but I'm getting worried that something else is going on. We don't have health insurance anymore due to my husbands job shutting down three years ago and we lost everything, house, cars, credit cards, everything. We r starting over as we speak with new jobs but below the pay we was getting back then and can't afford the insurance. I thought the novasure procedure was suppose to last forever but maybe not. I would like to know if anybody is going through the same thing and what did they do about it.
I had this done about 6 months ago because I have had such heavy periods and cramping. I used the nova ring and birth control pills for a while but thought I should stop taking them as I approach 50. I have had friends have good results with NovaSure so I decided to to do it. It Cost 20,000 and I bleed for the first 3 months. Now I have short but heavy periods and still very bad cramping. I am not worse than before but I certainly do not think I am any better.