How Long Do Antibiotics Delay Period?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

How Long Do Antibiotics Delay Period?

I was prescribed cipro to treat my UTI a week before my expected period.  I usually feel symptoms a week before hand that my period is on its way.  This did not happen.  In fact, my period never came at all.  It is now a week late.  I started getting period cramps and bloating a few days ago, thinking it was on it's way.  Never happened.  Instead the cramps and bloating just seem to be getting worse by the day.  I am NEVER late.  And there is NOT a chance that I am pregnant.  The only possibility is the antibiotics.  I avoid antibiotics, because I am a real health fanatics, and I know how damaging they can be to our biological systems.  I know many women have experienced late periods from antibiotics.  I'm hoping that someone can tell me their experiences, and how long it took for their period to come.  
You should get your periods in a few days. However if the periods are delayed then get it evaluated from your doctor. Apart from pregnancy, there are many other reasons for a delayed period. The other causes are hormonal imbalance like in PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome), stress, obesity, malnutrition, anemia, hypothyroidism, illness, etc.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.
This is a reply to my original post:
I wanted to update you on my experience with the antibiotics.  I got my period 10 days late.  I have not taken any antibiotics since and I have been on time ever since my original post.  This leads me to believe that it was 100% the antibiotics.  I went to a naturopathic doctor, and he absolutely agreed that the antibiotics were the cause of the late period.  His and my advice to everyone: AVOID ANTIBIOTICS at all cost unless they are absolutely necessary.  In my case unfortunately antibiotics are the only treatment for a UTI at this time so I forced to take them.  Hope this helps some people.  
Thank you. I was prescribed antibiotics and the same day I started my period. I have taken antibiotics before but never had a delayed period, on or off antibiotics. The doctor said nothing about a change in period! I take responsibility for family planning but did not know these meds would change the whole equation. Thanks for the 10 day example! I'm 5 days late and will let you know.