How Long Do Antibiotics Delay Period?
I was prescribed cipro to treat my UTI a week before my expected period.  I usually feel symptoms a week before hand that my period is on its way.  This did not happen.  In fact, my period never came at all.  It is now a week late.  I started getting period cramps and bloating a few days ago, thinking it was on it's way.  Never happened.  Instead the cramps and bloating just seem to be getting worse by the day.  I am NEVER late.  And there is NOT a chance that I am pregnant.  The only possibility is the antibiotics.  I avoid antibiotics, because I am a real health fanatics, and I know how damaging they can be to our biological systems.  I know many women have experienced late periods from antibiotics.  I'm hoping that someone can tell me their experiences, and how long it took for their period to come.  
You should get your periods in a few days. However if the periods are delayed then get it evaluated from your doctor. Apart from pregnancy, there are many other reasons for a delayed period. The other causes are hormonal imbalance like in PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome), stress, obesity, malnutrition, anemia, hypothyroidism, illness, etc.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.
I was taking homeopathic treatment for my painful manustrual cycle just after I completed my period. So overall i took a treatment for 1 month and now I missed my period. I am 6 days late. This is the first time ever since I am getting period (10 yrs) that I am late. My date is always fixed. I am never never never late. What could be the reason for it? Those homeopathic medicine can cause delay in period? I even took mensorine drops for getting period still it didn't come. Now I am tensed I hope I didn't make any mistake by taking this pain relief period treatment.
This is a reply to my original post:
I wanted to update you on my experience with the antibiotics.  I got my period 10 days late.  I have not taken any antibiotics since and I have been on time ever since my original post.  This leads me to believe that it was 100% the antibiotics.  I went to a naturopathic doctor, and he absolutely agreed that the antibiotics were the cause of the late period.  His and my advice to everyone: AVOID ANTIBIOTICS at all cost unless they are absolutely necessary.  In my case unfortunately antibiotics are the only treatment for a UTI at this time so I forced to take them.  Hope this helps some people.  
Thank you. I was prescribed antibiotics and the same day I started my period. I have taken antibiotics before but never had a delayed period, on or off antibiotics. The doctor said nothing about a change in period! I take responsibility for family planning but did not know these meds would change the whole equation. Thanks for the 10 day example! I'm 5 days late and will let you know.
Oh my gosh THANK YOU! I'm having this almost very same problem right now! I took sulfamethoxazole-tmp 2x a day for about 2 weeks for a staph infection under my arm that I caught very early. There is ZERO chance I'm pregnant, and am not nor ever have been on birth control. My period is now 9 days late and I am always right on time. I'm hoping mine shows up soon!
Update! I finally got it!!

I got my last periods on 26 April, 2014 and since then I am waiting for my next cycle, n haven't got it. Last month I suffered from a multiple hair boil ( baaltod ) and was on antibiotics for almost 15 days. Does that affect my periods, besides knowing that I am not pregnant. Please advise.
I'm late on getting my period. I was on an antibiotic about two weeks before I was supposed to start my period it was to treat a uti. I'm cramping a little. I'm also took a pregnancy test and it came back negative but I still haven't started. Is it the antibiotics or was the test wrong?
There seems to be several girls our there who have experienced similar side effects to antibiotics.  I for one am COMPLETELY against antibiotics because of the havoc they cause to your body.  Be sure to take acidophilus for a good month after using antibiotics.  This will rebalance the good bacteria in your stomach!  In the meantime, avoid antibiotics at ALL COST unless completely necessary.  Many doctors will prescribe antibiotics for a common cold.  This is unbelievably ridiculous!  Our bodies are meant to fight infections as this builds our immunity.  Antibiotics destroy the immune system.  Fortunately, acidophilus can build the immune back up.  Also, if you are prone to getting UTI's like me, start taking cranberry supplements daily.  This will help flush our e-coli bacteria from building up in your urinary tract.  
Hi Laprilw,

There is a great chance that you're late due to the antibiotics.  Don't worry!  Common medical doctors refuse to believe this is the case.  I've asked quite a few... From my own research and similar stories I've read, I 100% believe that certain antibiotics can manipulate the body, especially the function of sensitive organs such as a women's menstrual cycle. Like I told "respPeriod" be sure to buy yourself a bottle of acidophilus to help rebalance the good bacteria in your stomach once you have finished your supply of antibiotics.  And again, avoid antibiotics at all cost!
Thanks!! for providing your experience.
My wife is going through the same problem. She had Ciprofloxacin and delayed by 7 days now. I will also check her pregnancy to be sure.
Your posting is most appreciated as I have had the same experience. I was on extensive antibiotics due to dental surgery and it appears to have about a 10-12 day delay in the onset of my period.
I have PCOS and am under medication. A week before my period, i was hospitalised for UTI and treated for the same. My period is late but i ve got cramps and bloating which is increasing by the day and is intolerable.
Thank you for sharing your experiene and information!
I am so happy you post this. I am going through the same thing to the TEE. I had to take antibiotics early in the month for a UTI. I hate them as much as everyone else because of what they do to our bodies. I am always on time like clock work. I am never more than a day or two off. I am going on 3 days and no signs of starting. I had cramps a few days ago and now they are gone. The only I am dealing with is really bad headaches, bloating, (gas) sorry for the TMI and tired.I thought I might be pregnant, but I took a test and it can back negative.SO the only thing I could think it could be is the antibiotics.... Unless a 38 year old can start menopause... I am so happy to see I am not the only girl that has gone through this.
Yes this is what i want! I am also taking antibiotics to treat UTI and even worse, because of that, i have yeast infection. The doctor told me that, the antibiotics that cause me to have the infection. can u imagine it? and the side effect of the antibiotics is killing me, got fever, watery diarrhea and yeast infection. now my period is delayed for 4 days already and til now i dont have any symptoms that im going to have my period sooner. im not pregnant because i already checked it.
I'm in the same boat!!! I was on Cipro starting Nov 22nd  for 10 days 2 pills a day. So I quit taking them on Dec 1st. I was suppose to start my period on Nov 30th. Its now Dec 12th no period. I have been spotting since Tues Dec 8th but no actual bleeding. I have taken 2 preg test and both say negative. I have no idea. It has to be this freaking medicine. Its just weird because i have been off of it for 11th days now. You would thinks this would be out of my system. grrr
I don't recommend cranberry supplements for UTIs , they could only mask your symptoms. I took it thinking I was okay, but found out in the emergency room (there was blood in my urine) that the infection went into my kidneys. The doctors were surprised I wasn't doubled over with extreme pain.
Thank God i found this page... I have been stressed and worried as im havng stomch bloating i have been on sooo many anti biotics frm the past two months but took more this december.. For urinary and othe infections like chest Now im 6 days late on my periods i know i am not pregnant but was just wondering why im havving all this i hope they will come really soon... I will update when i get em and thank u for all your updates they just solved half my problem.
Thank you so much I found this page! I also experience this situation I take antibiotic for 1week twice a day as prescribed by my doctor to cure UTI..I was suppose to start my period on Jan 14 but its already 3 days delayed i'm very confused if i could be pregnant or its just because of antibiotic but thanks I discover on this page that theres a big possibility that its just because of antibiotic! I'm already 23 yrs old but not yet ready to be pregnant!
So glad I'm not going CRAZY!! I had a UTI right before Christmas, went to the ER, and was put on an antibiotic. After taking it for a full week I wasn't much better, so I followed up with my Dr. She was puzzled at what antibiotic they had given me and wasn't surprised I was still hurting. So another full round of a second antibiotic. I'm about 7 days late but feel like it's going to happen any time now. My husband's had a vasectomy, but I was starting to wonder if it had grown back. After researching the odds of that online, I decided to check out the antibiotic possibility. So glad I did. Thank you for sharing!
Thank you for this useful information! Glad I wasn't the only one.. I am experiencing the same thing too. I have diligently been tracking my periods and I usually get my period on my 30th-33rd day. Here's my story:

- 10th day of my cycle: I had a boil that had to be surgically removed and naturally, I had to be placed on antibiotics. I had to take Ciprofloxacin for a total of 18 days since along with the boil, during my recovery from surgery, I had to extend my medication as I have contracted tonsillopharyngitis.

- 17th day of my cycle: (my 8th day of antibiotics), this was supposedly my time of ovulation but I experienced light bleeding and it lasted for quite a while. I have experienced ovulation spotting before, but not this heavy so I'm ruling it out. My spotting is more like a light period actually, with occasional solidified blood and all.

- 22nd day of my cycle: (my 13th day of antibiotics) This is the last day of my bleeding. I don't think I should consider this as my period, should I? I'm supposed to be experiencing very, very mild breast tenderness (as I previously would in my past cycles) but didn't get any.

- 26th day of my cycle: (my 17th day of antibiotics) I spotted again that lasted the whole day. I didn't experience any other symptoms aside from that. I can tell that my ovaries and uterus are quite as confused as I am.

- 27th day of my cycle: (my 18t and last day of antibiotics) I am beginning to feel my usual tightness in the abdomen. I usually get this whenever I am about to get my period (estimated 4-7 days from the time the symptoms start). My usual breast pains (though not as intense as my previous cycles) are starting to make its presence known now.

- 33rd day of my cycle: I am supposed to have my period now but didn't get anything. I only have mildly sensitive breasts and occasional abdominal pains that I would usually experience whenever I am about to get my period.

- 37th day of my cycle: (this is today) Still no period. Only sensitive breasts and occasional abdominal pains. I have also been feeling gassy and bloated today. Where oh where is my period? I don't want it and the dysmenorrhea that comes with it to ruin my trip to the theme park tomorrow..

Also, for important additional info: I am 23 years old. South-East Asian. I am no way pregnant because I am a virgin. I am not taking any birth control pills. I am also tracking my cycle and have been doing this for three years now because I got scared before when I got delayed after getting confined for an infection (thus had antiobiotics placed in IV) and then bled blackish colored blood on the 14th day of my menstrual cycle. I have been told a lot of times before that the changes in my cycle are affected by something else but I believe otherwise, hence my drive to track a daily diary of my cycle, tracking my secretion types, the kind of physical activity I'm in during that day, my alcohol intake (since in my past cycles, I have noticed that alcohol sort of kick starts my delayed cycle) and medicine intake (which so far delays my period).

I hope this helps. I'll update this as soon as I notice something different in my body. Take care!
I am now making an update for my previous post.

It is now my 41st day and lo and behold! I have my period now :) It started out as brown spotting until it turned to red and became heavier and heavier. I am expecting to have severe cramps and nausea today due to me being delayed for so long.

So to summarize it up, antibiotics got me delayed for 7-8 days. That thing really messes up my system. Hope that helps! Take care!
January 28, 2015 my girl friend started to have her mens. Feb 3, 2015 we had unprotected sex. I know she's safe. Feb 28, 2015 is the expected next mens cycle. But it is now March 4, 2015 yet no signs of mens, only white and clear discharge and mild cramping. By the way she took antibiotics last Feb 3, 2015 until Feb 5, 2015. Twice a day, 500mg amoxicilin, because of tooth ache. Is she pregnant? Please help.
Hi. I have been having UTI ever since I last had sex with my boyfriend. My period is always regular and it happens within 28-32 days. My last period was on 17th February & I was expecting my next period on 17th March. I am 5 days late now. I went to  see a doctor on 16th March regarding my UTI & its symptoms. He prescribed Co-Trimoxazole and Metronidazole tablets. A week before taking these tablets, I took 3 TMP antibiotic tablets. I have been experiencing cramps & stiff muscles while taking these and I'm sweating a lot. Plus I took a PT today which was negative, and I am very much sure that I am not pregnant because we had protected sex (no pills, just condoms).

Can anyone please tell me if this is really the antibiotics that's causing delays in my period?
I was given a 14 day course of antibiotics and my period was 13.5 days late. So it's really a thing.
because of UTI, doctor prescribed me 500mg antibiotic 3 times a day for 7 days, it was last feb. 25. until now i dont have my period yet.. 28 days late but i felt breast tenderness last week which i think some sort of symptoms for the my period.. i really am starting to worry -.-
snowstorm, have you taken a pregnancy test?
hi, i already took a test earlier today and its positive. im so happy right now, but the thing bothering me is that the antibiotics i take, is there any possibility that it may affect my baby? Im planning to see the doctor by monday.
No, antibiotics generally do not hurt a baby and are often given during pregnancy if needed.  good luck and congratulations
Am five days late and am on anti malaria treatment for days now.initially i saw whitish discharge from my private part and thought it was my period but it was false alarm.my nipples have been hurting me for days now and i dont know why.please i need help or someone please explain to me what could possibly be wrong with me.could it be that am pregnant or my period is just delayed due to the anti malaria treatments am undergoing?
I was on nitrofurantoin mono/mac for 7 days right after my period in March for a UTI. If I'm pregnant, it's a miracle baby and I need to be in a news paper or on the Today show. Right now, 10 days late. Good to know it's probably the antibiotics and not something more severe (like cervical cancer as my overactive mind suggested a few days ago).
I had a severe bout of flu 4 weeks ago, followed by bronchitis and received 5 day course of 500mg amoxicillin. My period is 6 days late, I'm not pregnant but the bloating and temper are horrendous! I just want to move on ( as does my husband!) which generally happens as soon as It comes! Thanks for giving these reassuring posts as I am never late and this would explain everything.....and relax!
eiy im having the same problem I took antibiotics a week bofore in suppose to get mi period and im stil on them now nd I was suppose to get mi period but nothing is happening and I keep feeling mi underwear is wet when I check iz a false alarm. im really worried please help
eiy im having the same problem I took antibiotics a week bofore im suppose to get mi period and im stil on them now nd I was suppose to get mi period like two days ago but nothing is happening and I keep feeling mi underwear is wet when I check it a false alarm. im really worried please help
If like to add that this has happened to me twice. UTI diagnosis > antibiotics prescribed and taken > period very late. My periods are never like clockwork - usually coming 30-38 days after the beginning of the previous one - but after UTI and antibiotics the first time it came 65 days after day 1 of previous period, and this time it has come 70 days after day 1! Just googled it to see whether it has happened to others.
hi I have the same problem the doctor gave antibiotics because she took my tooth out I had to drink those antibiotics for a week then something went wrong with my took then she gave me another set of antibiotics that was another week again now my periods  are 12days late and I am always on time. I cant be pregnant. I pee every time and if I have to pee one more time I m sure im goanna kill someone that makes me think I am pregnant when m not...I am goanna update when I get my periods
I got the situation... i had my antibiotic 1 week before i should have my period... until now my period still not come.. its already 11days late... i do take the pregnancy test but its turn negative.. im a bit worried because i dont have any symptom of period... no cramping at all like i usually have before my period..
i am currently concern about my missed period as I am so taking taking antibiotics. At first I thought I may be pregnant because I had sex with my partner on the 2nd & 5th of this month during my ovulation period. I didn't start taking the antibiotics til the 9th for 3 days, and was off of it for a week til I was given another 10days worth of the antibiotics, which i had started taking on the 18th. I normally start my period on the 19th of every month or 1-2 days late or early before/after the date. I started to feel like I needed to eat on the 17th and the 18th. The next day, I felt quickly felt exhausted after about 10-15mins while I was working out, which doesnt happen at all. I kept researching and reading about the effects of what antibiotics could do to your body and most of them said that it delayed their periods. I want to assume that that is true but I was also assuming that i may be pregnant also..I wont do a pregnancy test till I'm off the pill to see if my period would come. If not after a few days, I would do a test if I have to. Does anyone have the same problem similar to me?
Hi and I'm having that same problem I had UTI two weeks ago and my period suppose to start on the 26 but it's now the 29 and I still haven't gotten anything I am sexually active but always with protection I searched up other stuff on like and they say antibiotics can't stop your period from coming but mine is delayed and I'm freaking out please help how do I know it's the antibiotics
One week back I was having gum problem, gum just behind my wisdom teeth, it was swollen and couldn't open my mouth, which effect my tonsil and it pains terribly . I had antibiotics and I believe because of this antibiotics my period has been delayed. I was suppose to have it by 28 Oct and now its 3 Nov.  My period are always on time never delayed for this long. I am having moodswings, body pain, breast pain and I'm waiting for my period to come.
I was on antibiotics for 2 weeks to treat a harmful bacteria in my stomach and I was required to take 4 in the morning and 4 at night. I missed about three days so I had to finish it. Now I am 6 days late and have a yeast infection. I am convinced it is the antibiotics for the simple fact that it is a ridiculous amount for a 16 year old. My mom has accused me of being pregnant but I know for a fact that I am not even without a test. I don't want to take more medication for the infection for the fear of having my period delayed even more. My parents want a confirmation of what is happening but from reading about everyone else and their doctors, I'm sure theyre going to deny it and want millions of tests when they see i'm not pregnant, which is going to be money going out the door. I really hope I get it soon so it could make this nightmare go away.
I am undergoing exactly the same thing. My period was supposed to be due on 26th Nov.
the antibiotics have taken a toll on my health and i have never had delayed periods. I hope it will be back to normal and there's nothing to worry. Need to some assurance here.

thank you
I did a surgery. And I took antibiotics for close to a month which resulted to my 5days delayed period!!!!!
Here's the deal, antibiotics don't necessarily delay periods but what you are taking the antibiotics for will.  Sickness, illness, traumatic events (such as surgery) can all delay the period.  good luck
Yeah no. I've had my issue and just dealt with it for months before going to my Dr where I was prescribed Cipro. All along my period was still on time. 5 days of Cipro and I'm now 2 days late.
I am so happy I found this because I was treated for a uti and given amoxicillin a few weeks ago and now my period is 13 days late. I have period symptoms accompanied by dizziness and feeling a bit off but no period. I have taken 5 PT different brands and times but all negative. I was really worried because I have never been this late but now I see this is common.
I am on Oxytetracycline and am now 13 days late for my period.... Should I worry or will I get it soon? What's the longest others' have been delayed?
i took Roxin 500mg,for a week on the 17th of February and my period was to start on 3rd march its 11th march today and am still witing.getting the usual signs but still no period,am 9days late and so worried.
Does your period came? I have the same problem with yours. I took clindamycin on 24th of february for 7 days and my period should be on march 3. and Up until now I still haven't.
Some one help? I started taking Anti biotics for almost 2 weeks now for STD. So far i am feeling good but as my period will be due on the beginning of next month (April around 5th to 7th)  now i start having period feeling like ( started from 28 till now 30 of March) and I was wondering, shouldn't i feel completely cure after 2 weeks on anti biotics??

I read that anti biotic can mess up with the gut and delay period, what about having slight boiling movement up in the belly button and period feeling before the period start in a week

Can anti biotics affect the way my body feel about period??

thanks
Yeah its true.I am also experiencing delayed period because of the antibiotics I took.
June 23 we had a sex with my husband, we used withdrawal. June   24-28 i took cloxacilin because I had an insect bites. My period will be around 26-27-28 but i am  2 days delay! On june 29 i took PT then the result is negative. Am i pregnant or it is just a cause of the antibiotics? Plz answer
I took antibodic tabs around a week before my period and I'm experiencing late periods and around the same time I had sex but I doubt been pregnant can it be the antibodic tabs delay my period?
Really if you take antibodic it delay your period
I finished taking Antibiotics 2 weeks ago and  now i'm 5 days late. Why don't doctors warn their patients before taking them..... I'm so upset.  :(
SAME HERE! I was on 3 days of Cipro then had 1 shot of rocephin then the next day had two shots of rocephin (3 total) 10 days of Valtrex and 10 days of Clindamycin an had spotting for a day after the antibiotic (by period had just ended 5 days before Meds) an I was suppose to start around 7/11-7/13 and here it is 7/21 and nothing but have had cramps bloating acne break out and yesterday a tad bit of blood wen I wiped so I'm getting worried
Hi Dark_Pie, Its way to early to test for pregnancy.. Also if you are not trying to conceive you might want to use an alternative contraceptive method. Even if he is withdrawing the chances of some some sperm entering your body (pre-***) before he releases is still there.  If i were you i would wait another week to see if your period comes, if it has not, test again for pregnancy or go to your doctor but there is a big chance that the medication is to blame..  I was also on some antibiotics and am now 11 days late with a negative pregnancy test. I will wait another 4 days before testing again or going to the doctor if it doesnt come :)  Good luck to you!
i had my period on 15th July  and it s 21st August today, and still no period. Instead I have hot flashes and sweat a lot which make it hard to fall asleep as well. That has been going on for a few days now.  I was checking symptoms and what that might be and what is causing it etc..and found out that it could as well be pre menaupause syndroms. But I was a little sceptical about that even though I am 42 ,cause my last period was totally normal and also I had my first period quite late, so I think menaupause or premenaupause will be late as well. I found some other answers as well, but it most likely has something to do with what you all wrote on here. I did have a flu just around my ovulation phase and i took some medication. Now I am not sure if these were antibiotics, not necessarily, it s one of those: day/night nurse things, I do not even think it is an antibiotic. I saw an article wehre it says even a small flue can cause a period being late because it can disrupt a menstrual cycle if it happens around ovulation time. So the cause does not even have to be a medicine, but just a flue. So I am still waiting for my period now. This would be the first time it s late, and I am 42, ok, maybe 2nd time, but never THIS late! My cycle is from 23 to 26 days normally, so this would be 12 days late if I take 26 day cycle....which never EVER happened before. I was a bit comforted by these posts, so I am still waiting for my period.....I am totally healthy, always have been and my menstrual cycle is totally normal, always, always...I ll update the page once I get my period. :) Ok, and no way I am pregnant.
I was on Amoxil for 7 days for a throat infection and my next period was late for four day. When it finally came it was very scanty. I know there is no way i am pregnant
Thank YOU for posting this! Really helped me to calm down my nerves. Now that my period finally came I can post my story as well.

I am a 21-year-old healthy woman. Since I got my first period when I was 11, I've always been on time. Sometimes early, but never late. A couple of months ago got diagnosed with UTI and prescribed antibiotics. Before that, I only took antibiotics once in my life which also messed my immune system. I did not want to take them but had to for medical reasons and the pain was unbearable. And of course my period was late. Doctors never said anything about it, so I was worried. I was absolutely sure I wasn't pregnant but I took pregnancy test just in case (which turned out negative, of course). My period came on the 52 day. Like what?
I am sure the antibiotics were the cause because I did not dramatically change my lifestyle or anything prior. I think for me, the period was supposed to start 4 days later after I got the UTI; I guess I kind of just skipped one and went on to another one.
Anyway, I definitely agree with the author, please, avoid antibiotics unless they are absolutely necessary because they do mess up your system.
Get better everyone and believe that your menses will come :)