Hymen removal surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hymen removal surgery?

Is there any way to tell if you are still physically a virgin? I have never had sexual intercourse, but I have used tampons since I was 13 and I read in a magazine that this could cause the hymen to break, but I didn't know for sure. Also, if you are still physically a virgin, is there a doctor out there who will remove it for you? I want my wedding night to be pleasurable not painful.. Thanks.
  • hymen removal (1 replies):
    Is it possible for a woman in her 30's to have her hymen...[more]
  • hymen (4 replies):
    Is it true that there are creams to repair the lost hyme...[more]
  • my hymen hurts (2 replies):
    my hymen hurts. it feels like it is ripping. it only hur...[more]
  • hymen (10 replies):
    i was intrested in ur site when i was searching the web ...[more]
  • Septate hymen help (2 replies):
    I have a septate hymen, within the past two years a part...[more]
Does anyone know anything about this? It's alright if you dont, but if you do, please speak up!! I NEED you!! thanks.
Generally, if you have been using tampons, you shouldn't have much of a worry about what will happen on the occasion of your first sexual intercourse.  You don't say how old you are, but if you are having regular visits to the gynecologist, he/she would know if there were something wrong--it would probably be very difficult to insert a speculum, too.  

Of course, it goes without saying that the partner needs to be gentle and understanding, go slow, and use plenty of lubricant.  

It is rarely indicated to have surgery in that area, unless there is a congenital deformity such as an imperforate hymen (one that completely covers the vaginal opening--you wouldn't pass menstrual fluid or be able to insert a tampon or speculum at all), or an unusually small opening, (which you would probably know about, because you would have difficulty inserting tampons.)

If you are still concerned, make an appt. to talk to your gynecologist and see what he/she says about it.

Hope this helps answer your question!
Ah, yes that does answer my question.. So you mean to say, that if I am comfortable inserting tampons and have been, then my first experience won't be too painful?
I agree with Christie, lubrication would be most helpful the first few times. Aside from the hymen, it will be somewhat uncomfortable just having intercourse for the first few times for other reasons. Tampons differ from actual intercourse with respect to the size of the object going in (I am trying to sound dignified saying all of this,lol).

As time goes on, it gets easier and better. Even after having both of my children, it took time for intercourse to be comfortable again.

Relax, go slow and you should be fine. I hate to sound awful but the first few times won't be sunshine and roses, but it should get better.

Good luck!
Andrea
Thanks guys! xoxo
Hey Greeneyes,

I am 24 and was married last year. I was a virgin when I got married. I had no painful experience on my wedding night. It was great. I didn't climax, but it wasn't painful at all. I've used tampons since I was 16, so maybe that's why. I hope this makes you feel a little better!
I am also 24 and also was a virgin when I got married... three weeks ago. I have never had a problem using tampons. Husband was a sweetheart and gentle. I experienced slight discomfort (you know, because your body has never done this before!), one moment of slight pain, and a little bit of soreness the day after that kind of feels like when you put in a tampon wrong. After that, there's been no problem, aside from geography... it takes getting used to, to coordinate two people! (Tee hee)
Kennedy
Aww thanks guys! I feel much more confident now. You guys rock! (well,you ladies rock!)
did you get married? if so, how was "it"??? details, girl, details!
hi. did you read christies post above? there is some good info/advice there. you have a period right? so an "imporforate" (sp?)hymen is out. often times this is detected during puberty cuz menstrual blood cant pass. i recall when i first began using tampons, they were hard to insert and hurt. i think i was nervous and tightened up down there.
i wish you wouldnt be so hard on yourself about trying to have sex. may i ask how old you are? also, you should not be embarrassed if you are with the right guy who is patient, understanding and takes it slow. dont try to please him! i can understand the pain but part of it may be your need to relax.
do you see a gynocologist? have you tried talking with him/her about it? if you have been, are they able to insert that metal thing? what is it? speculum? i call it a car jack. anyway, i may avoid any surgery but talk to your dr. i have heard of something called "vaginismus" which has to do w. the hymen. i know nothing about it, just heard of it but go ahead on line and look it up. see if it relates to you.
not to get personal, but when you are alone w. your self maybe you could use "things" to help ease it in on your own time. practice. if it hurts, stop. try again. some woman are just "tight" some are not. some hymens are thin and can break horseback riding, some are thick and do not break as easily. be patient w. yourself and PLEASE tell me your guy is understanding and doesnt get frustrated. guys can do that when they're "all worked up". just be careful and take it s..l..o..w. when it does break, you'll see a bit of blood so dont be concerned. by the way, you should be proud to be a virgin. not too many out there. make sure the guy is the one you want to lose it with ok? cuz ya cant take it back.
Hi, girls. I wonder if you can help me with some answers to my very big and embarassing problem. I seem doomed to be a virgin forever. I've tried to have intercourse several times by now, by my hymen does not want to break. Needless to say that these have been among my most painful and humiliating moments in my life. You may think I'm exaggerating, but i was left really traumatized by these experiences and i just don't want to go through this ever again. I'm prepared to accept the pain, i don't object to that, but it just seems that guys simply cannot penetrate me and it's frustrating both for me and for the guy. It's not lack of lubrication, i have enough of that most of the times, and it's not that i'm not aroused, i can reach an orgasm fairly easy, but not through penetration, of course. is it possible that my hymen is too thick? After each try, i check it in a mirror, but i don't see any changes, it's the same as it was. Is this normal, is it normal to be so very difficult? I should add that I've never been able to insert a tampon in my vagina either.

Is it possible to have the hymen surgically removed? Please, can you help? I am so tired of this situation, since I cannot have plain simple sex or a normal relationship, either.

Lucy
Vaginismus is actually not related to your hymen, it's an involuntary contraction of the PC muscles (also known as pelvic floor muscles) which close the opening of the vagina when they go into spasm. This can be for many reasons, but is usually when the person associates sex with pain and so when they're about to be penetrated, there is an unconscious decision to prevent it from happening. If you've had painful experiences in the past this is quite likely. Try and find a supportive doctor, you may feel more comfortable with a female gynaecologist. They will usually perform a pelvic exam and if they do diagnose vaginismus you'll be given some vaginal dilators to practice with at home (don't worry - they start very small!). Eventually you work up to bigger sizes until you'd be comfortable enough for you and your partner to try intercourse.

Make sure you're happy with the treatment program, keep going back until you get results or ask for another doctor.

Vaginismus has a very high rate of being successfully treated if the treatment regime is adhered to.

But if you say you can see your hymen, it could be something else. Either way, hope you get it sorted :)
yes, you are right about the vaginismus. i seriously didnt know anything about it but i did a quick on line check and its pretty much what you said. thanks for clarifying.
Thank you very much, girls, for your encouragement and the info. No, I haven't been to a gynaecologist up to now. That's my plan, actually, but i wanted to do some research on my problem before and to get some advice. I'll have to make an appointment and see what the doctor says eventually. Hope everything turns out for the best for me.
Thanks again!
Lucy Ann
i am sure that it will turn out just fine for you. woman should begin seeing a gynocologist at 18 if sexually active or if a medical concern. im glad you made an appt. you will feel so much better and you will also realize that this happens to tons of woman and you certainly are not alone in this.
Hey guys, I haven't updated in a while..To answer your question, things did not work out with my fianc
I didn't have my hymen removed but I had what is called a vaginal dilation. I couldn't even insert a tampon, so I was scared to death to have sex with my boyfriend. I was put to sleep during the procedure. The next day my vagina was painful,purple, torn, and bruised. I was soo glad I had a Dr do it rather than be torn apart by a reckless boyfriend. I would have been really pissed at him for doing that kind of damage.
Hymens have different types
Imperforate  : that is closing the vagina since birth and the girl will not experience menses as no passage of blood
Elastic hymen that is reselient and will not be torn with sexual intercourseand allows penetration , then returns back to its shape after sex
normal hymen  : that is normally tornwith first sexual intercourse, leaves some blood and pain for different period of time
The hymen that is removed surgically is the "Imperforate " one to allow the mensetrual blood flow normally
I read all these articles. I'm on coming from the other side of the hymen, you know, the male side. I recently spent a few nights with a woman who was a virgin in her mid 30's. She had a hymen similar to the image at: http://tomrue.net/infoavenue/health/images/hymens.jpg
-- that is
-- that is
you are just asking for trouble posting that here. no problem if you are sincerely looking for help/advice since some "men" do and we are more than happy to help a male in need. however, your choice of words and unsympathetic attitude is not welcome here. you are making people angry (including myself). its disappointing to know there are "men" out there that feel this way.makes me appreciate my husband more. when we were together for the "first time" things were tight down there. he was patient and caring. stopped when i needed him too. i managed to get more than 3 dates out of him when things were rough sexually. hell, i got 19 years out of him. also, what makes you think that its only woman in their 20's that want gentleness, loving? i dont care if you are 90 thats what woman want. there is a reason why you hooked up w. this lady. theres a reason for everything. it was probably to teach you how to be w. a woman. i hope she cuts off the relationship if she knows whats good for her. i think your plan was to get us all worked up. i will try hard not to let you.
The dialogue is getting better. You're correct. I'm not in love with her. But I
i will be quick because i have a habit of going off and dont know when to stop. i will be as calm as i can. i am a few years shy of 40 so this isnt a 20 yr old posting or anything.

if you two are not compatable then why are you with her? are you still with her? if you were in love, truely in love, this whole thing would not matter to you at all. you would be there for her, be patient and not talk the way you were talking. it would not be an issue. it is more than clear that you are not in love w. her and im not sure whether or not you ever have been. what would happen if this were a medical issue w. her? would you think/feel differently? what if she waited to "make love" until she was married and you married her? for better or for worse right? what if she were raped at some point and having difficulty letting go? just end the relationship if you are not compatable and you dont like it. do her a favor.

i would hate to think that if you ever do get married if she got into a accident or develops something wrong medically how you'd feel then. you need to do some soul searching my friend.
get bent out of shape if you want. i might have been a bit flip and light hearted, but the truth of the matter is inherent in the honest message. I tend to think men and women aren't actually very different. We all basically want the same thing, the same level of intimacy. But fairy tales seldom come true. I'm happy for anyone who's had a fairy tale love life. One possible difference between men and women is that women predominantly want men to love them before sex, while men probably don't have the same standard. It makes sense evolutionarily. Perhaps I'm typical or perhaps I'm not, but when I'm looking for a tennis partner my partner at least has to have a racket. Even if she's not experienced, she should at least be able to come out onto the court and hit a few balls over the net. Especially if it's late in the afternoon. It's not about the racket or the ball or the experience, but most gals aren't going to get a second or third chance if each time they are unable to participate, for whatever reason. This is true for guys too. It's true for people. The reason I'm here is to offer up a perspective. Women are very supportive of one another, but there comes a time the gather ye rosebuds, and ye had best be able to gather a few when the time is quickly passing. Prince charming may yet come to the 40 year old virgin. But he's only human. Be ready. That's all I'm saying. Most likely he'll be frightened by the lack of intimacy in the life of such a late bloomer. Would a woman go on more than two dates with a 40 year old guy who was unemployed, living at home, and had never had a checking account? Why should she? It's called life experience and at 40 we're frightened by anyone who's watched life pass without taking a chance and grabbing for something. Perhaps it boils down to fear of rejection, but even that is something we should, by the time we're 40, have come to terms with -- at least to the point where we're able to participate.

i forgot to add that you keep mentioning not getting to the 3rd date or so if they arent going to or arent capable of putting out to your expectations. they have "other woman" out there for that. what man in there right mind (if they truely cared for the woman) would expect her to put out by the 3rd date? as a man that would make me worry. you are not serious about each other if that is the case. wouldnt you wonder "where" she has been? what about std's? hiv? c'mon now. i just honestly cannot believe you feel this way and am beginning to wonder the credibility of your post.
i KNEW i had something else to say.see what i mean? i guess its about that roomate you mentioned. whether or not anyone realizes it, maybe they were together for 4 yrs w. no sexual relations but dont tell me neither one of them got anything constructive out of that relationship? what about caring, loving, friendliness, laughter, compassion, arguing (and thats ok) touch, talk, sensitivity, these are all (and more) stepping stones to a full relationship. no relationship is a waste. they are all learning experiences.
if you are sleeping w. a woman after the 3rd date than you can guarentee it wont last and thats all it is..sex.hopefully you are wearing a condom. somehow i feel you do not cuz i bet you are the type to say it interferes w. the feeling of it all. maybe just sex is all that you are looking for? that is all fine and dandy if you both are under the same "agreement" and understanding. again, i reiterate, if i were a guy, i would wonder where she has been if she is so willing to give it up by the 3rd date. thats CRAZY. ever hear of men are from mars woman are from venus? totally different between the 2 sexes. perhaps that is why you are not married at near 40 is it? you have not met the right woman for you. when you do you will know it because you will want to take it slow and you will want to get to know her as an individual for a longer period of time than 3 days. you will be GLAD that she isnt "easy". what the *%## do you have to look forward to if you do everything by the 3rd date?. i maaayyyy agree with you and on one thing ONLY. that is you should feel compatable in all areas or at least willing to accept faults if you are in love. do you think my husband is perfect in all areas?? NOT! hey man,now that you mention it i didnt get the whole package here! im getting jipped! he's always late, watches too much sports, isnt emotional/sensitive enough..but he's mine and he's an awesome daddy. im not gonna dump him for it. im mature enough to know no one is perfect and take the good with the bad. sometimes we go w. out sex for months..GASP!!! is he gonna dump me? should i worry? no, we get busy with life, stressed,tired,different schedules and so on.sometimes its me sometimes its him. does it make it more interesting when we do finally get "reaquainted"..sure. does he just suck it up and please himself at times? yup. do i? yup. its just the way it goes and sometimes there are more important things than sex. like a person. let me just tell you one last thing. when you do finally (if you do) meet that one woman you will marry, you will not feel the way you do now.if you do, its not going to last. its just youre not in love and i hope for both your sake that you end the relationship. you are clearly not compatable and you will only make her feel worse. as for that roomate, that was a long time ago i assume, people grow up. she had a good head on her shoulders not to sleep w. someone when she probably knew in her heart he wasnt the right one for her. there are some people, yes, there are that will wait until they are married to make love. woman respect men more when they are willing to wait more than 3 days. please think about what ive said. i have to stop now.....
This is what makes the world interesting. People are all completely different, living different lives, different realities. Just check out some of the photos of Iraqi people
this is my last post because it it very clear that you are set in your ways and you obviously believe that your method on getting woman is working.(but who is the one not married or in a long term relationship?) i have tried to help shed some light on how woman feel but again, you have all of your little analogies and viewpoints and you are not going to change. as a woman and knowing many of them, your example of that woman you were dating and having 30 orgasims in a 3-4 hr span??? HELP ME OUT HERE LADIES but i would bet a lot of money she was FAKING. probably to get it all over with. most woman (and you did state you are not that experienced) do not have an orgasm during penetration.just so you know. about the 25 yr old virgin you were talking about and how thats too old? there are woman who either wait until they are married or simply make a conscious decision to be one. about that roomate..now i KNOW you arent blaming that ex girlfriend of his for his $400 phone sex bills. that was his horney decision. he made the calls. he should have gotten something cheaper like a magazine or pleased himself. thats free. i hope one day you find the whole package you are looking for by the 3rd date just so to spare any other ladies along the way from your lack of sensitivity.
I keep trying to make this broader than the two of us, but you keep trying to discredit and/or invalidate my experiences/knowledge. I suspect insecurity, but that's fine. We're different and as earlier mentioned, that's a fundamental concept to any discourse or dialogue. I'm glad you're happy. So am I. "Success" in relationships isn't measured in years or whatever. It's measured in moments (thought milliseconds) and the connection. Some of the least happy people I know are those who are stuck in long term relationships; Stuck because they're more afraid of being alone than of being unhappy. That's an awful existence, but extremely common.  As for the call to the ladies for support, granted I don
alright, alright so i posted again. sorry if i made you feel as if you've been discredited. i usually am a very positive person and try to see good in all. yes, i am an insecure person but not in the context in which you described. you did say something very important and i will agree with you (whoa..) that many people in a long term, not so great relationship fear being alone. that is true but both need to work at not letting that happen and after so many years it certainly can happen. i highly understand differences esp. in men and woman. hope you meet the one that does it all for you.
I'm taking a quick guess, but I have a feeling that he hasn't expressed his feeling to any of the females in his life. They'd probally lynch him. Anyhow, I have been told that I have an imperforated hymen and would need surgery before I could have intercourse, and yet I have periods. I can't wear tampons but its not that I can't insert them they just feel uncomfortable. Does this sound right? I am in the military and was told this by a military GYN. Not that it really makes much difference far as I know.
forgot to mention they have never been able to do a complete papsmear which was also blamed on my Hymen. Not sure what that means, they mentioned something about me being particularly small.
Where exactly are you from?  You say the Bible belt is filled with "fear and ignorance".  Why would you make such a statement?  Just because beliefs are not your beliefs do not make them ignorant.  You talk a good talk, but you know what, you are still narrow minded.  If people choose to wait, good for them.  If people choose to sleep around to gain this wonderful experience of sexual conquests, good for them.  But keep this in mind, when you and your partner are 90 years old and unable to be as intimate as before, are you going to have a friendship to last a lifetime?  I hope so.
test
Admittedly I cannot relate at all to 48% of the population. Anyone who thinks that being anti-abortion or who will support our president no matter what or who thinks that oil wars are justified. When I think of the bible belt i think of the red states where my family is from and where religious beliefs replace common sense and the ability to think. There is little culture in those red states. Mostly "culture" = television. There are epic changes happening in the world and insulated areas tend to harbor the most patriotic communities. But patriotism isn't what's needed now. We need to think globally. We need to invest in education. Thanks to Bush's borrowing for the war ($400 billion) we're basically going to be unable to support our spending. In 20 years we'll see where we stand. I suspect we
OMG LOL!!, "...45 orgasms to a woman within the course of 24 hours (yes, I was counting, but only because it was so amazing. No faking; I assure you.)"

I assure YOU, willy, that is faking!!  And the Oscar goes to...

I totally agree with JoAnna, LMAO!!!!
I'm sorry, but I just have to jump into this one for a minute. I am finding so much of this humerous, and a bit pathetic. First of all, I am having trouble understanding what George W. and the War and economy have to do with relationships, this is really not a political forum, but whatever.
I feel the need to inform you, freewilly, that you have been had! You think you are the one controlling your relationships as well as your sex life, but in fact you have been controlled by the women you spoke about. We women are REALLLY good at convincing men that they are driving when in fact you are lucky to be in the trunk. You have been dupped. And rightly so. Are you still with any of the women you have supposedly given multiple orgazms to? 45 in 24 hours. 20 in an hour. 30 in 3-4 hours. Sorry to stab you in the ole ego, but that didn't happen! Believe me, if it did, they'd be beating down your door.LOL
I have read all of your posts and come to the conclusion that you are very insecure in your own sense of masclinity. You are trying to validate your manhood by bragging about pleasing these women. When in fact I'd have to say that kjsk was right on the money. They were faking it in hopes of getting you to hurry up and finish so they could clean up and get the heck outta there. And counting them.. Please. It must have not been very good for you if you were still able to maintain the ability to count. Good sex makes it difficult for me to remember my own name let alone count to 30.LOL
I have found that the art of making love takes time to perfect. It's not something you can jump into, have the woman fake it and then KNOW if she is the ONE or not. After 18 years of marriage, my husband and I KNOW exactly how to please the other. There is no doubt as to the validity of pleasure as we have an honest relationship. This comes with time, knowledge, understanding, trust, experience, concern, caring, desire, and LOVE. These are not things you can obtain in the span of three dates. You are having cheap experiences. But to use an analogy, which you seem to enjoy.. If you play tennis with a different player every day, then how will you ever learn one's individual strategy? You won't. You will judge Thursday's competition by the match you had on Wednesday. And chances are, if they have the same level of expertise as you, you will lose. If you play tennis with one person with the same level of expertise as yourself for 6 months, you will learn their little quirks. All the in's and out's of how they play the game. And chances are, you will win. Sounds like most of the players you meet on the court throw the game and let you win so they can go play with the instructor who pays attention, gives pointers, and doesn't judge them.
I suggest you keep your racket in the closet until you learn the rules of the game.
20 in an hour LMBO ROFL tears in my eyes..
I completely agree with joannarf.   As i was reading the posts, all i kept seeing was insecurity, insecurity, insecurity.  Goog luck in finding what your looking for freewilly. but with your attitude you'll be alone for a long time.
hi,
I was told that i have a thick hymen by my doctor.and small one by a another.  i was also told if I was planning on have sex that there are ways to get ready for it. I was wondering with a thicker and small hymen would surgery be a good idea?
hey im 19 years old..and i have never gotten a period. i am attending many clinics about this.. my gyne said that i have POF. im nervous because i have not fufilled puperity properly and when i have had sex it hurt so much. i have partner now he knows about me having POF i keep putting of the idea of having sex together because im afraid that he will think im a freak. can anyone please give me some info?? do u think i should tell my gyne that im having trouble having sex?
would surgury be a good idea and if so where would be a good place to start looking???
please help me out...i have msn also if people are serious about helping me..
Look...Im not an expert at this type of stuff but i can definatly say that you should see your gyne if you are consistenlty haveing pain with intercourse. It could be a problem with the type of hymen you have or you might just suffer from vaginal dryness. Nevertheless just to be on the safe side...make an appointment. It never hurts to be sure. LOL. Goodluck girl!!!
just wanted to say I agree gonza. Just because it's the Bible belt doesn't mean everyone who's religious, conservative, "born-again" Christian is fearful, close-minded, and ignorant.
Speaking as a man (not a womanly man, in case anyone thinks of labeling me that-I'm a Marine Officer) who was doing research for my girlfriend and came across this page, I just wanted to assure you ladies that not all men are like freewilly. There are indeed still Prince Charmings (I prefer the term knight myself) out there: rugged, strong, protective (not jealous), stable, men who genuinely care for the woman he'll marry, who's not afraid of her virginity, but prizes it (not as something to take from her, but to receive from her since it's hers to give.)
Call me old-fashioned and backward if you will-I'm still saving myself for my girlfriend, and she's saving herself for me, until those gold wedding bands slip on our fingers. No, i'm not criticizing you if you haven't, I merely state my choice and say there are others out there like me.
It's what you give, not what you take. Gonza, you're right, in the end, it's the relationship. And ladies, there are strong knights still out here, granted we may think completly different and sit around watching TV, but we're still here. For what it's worth, just thought you should know.
To the woman who has problems with intercourse, due to pain --and others who commented on "Free Willy": Fact is, men WON"T continue to date a woman with a tough hymen. I know. I didn't start having sex until I was 43, and tried to have intercourse, but it was agonizing. My hymen was like the Great Wall of China. No, men don't want to hurt a woman, so they didn't last. I want to have MY choice of men, not just the kind ones who feel dorry for me. I finally got deflowered at 44, and it was so painful I screamed. I wondered why intercourse was still painful even after. I searched the internet for anything that would give me answers, and there was nothing! This site is great. Now I realize that I still have part of my hymen and that is what's hurting me. If I could get gyn surgery for free, I would. I want so much to enjoy sex and have any partner I want, and be GREAT at sex, too. I don't want to be limited anymore.
And
Don't be hard on Free Willy. He only said what was true. I know, I've been there. with around approximately 30 men trying to enjoy myself.
i had hymen surgery six months ago and ever since the surgery i've had absolutely no sex drive. before my surgery i loved sex and now i think i could go my whole life without it. has this happened to anyone else? should i seek help from gyno?
ok i live in lincoln nebraska and i was wondering how much does it cost to get your virganty back. i cant get married because its againt my culture to not be a vargin and i need help.
Is there aything that can go wrong with the surjery? Like excessive bleeding or anything like that cause im thinking about getting the surjery but idk if i'll be in pain or just sore after and be able to go back to school like the day after.
I HAVE THE SAME PREOBLEM!!!!! you took the words directly out of my mouth. i would also like to know if there is such a thing as getting it proffesionally removed. i have tried many times with my boyfriend to try and break through. and i mean, it hurts alot, but im willing to get it over with, but its not like that, he just physically cannot break through. its been very frustrating and discouraging.
oh and by the way, not to be rude or anything, but i think this might be an odd place to fight about politicts, dont you think? i mean this is kind of a place for discouraged women to get some help and reassurance, not political lectures...
haha i compared mine to the berlin wall!
That is not necessarily true.  I have used tampons for a long time as well & just had sex for the first time.  Unfortunately I found it to be somewhat painful.  I don't want to be too disgusting here but there was also a lot of bleeding.  I just wanted you to be aware because that freaked me out a bit.