I have a Bicornuate Uterus, will Mirena work for me?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hi, I am 35 years old and have had 3 children, one has passed away due to congenital heart disease, which could have been due to my uterus. I have a bicornuate uterus-heart shaped-(which I just found out about, a small fibroid (2 cm), heavy long periods with a brown mucus discharge, painful intercourse, bad headaches during the end of my periods and horrible lower back pain. I went to my obgyn for several years with complaints and she never did tests or anything on me, so I just switched doctors and she have been running tests on me. The ultrasound showed heart shaped uterus and a fibroid. She also did a test to check for cancer which was negative. She said that I could possibly have endometriosis. She said my options are Mirena (iud- used as birthcontrol) or a hysterectomy. The pill is out due to past issues with headaches and the pill. So we talked about trying the Mirena first to see if that would help me, but I am have second thoughts about it. The more I read about it the more it makes me wonder. Like it is mainly used for birth control, not problems with periods. I am not having any more children and my husband has had a vasectomy, so I don't need to worry about birth control. Also does it work with a heart shaped uterus? Then do I want to feel better for a few years then have the same problems again later with the same options? With the Mirena it will make your periods heavier before they get lighter, what fun! Has anyone else had the same problems or used a Mirena for the same reasons? Should I try the mirena first or just get a hysterectomy? Thanks.. dsmegnky
I forgot to mention that my uterus is also enlarged, it should be an 8 and it is a 12. I also have horrible pain in my legs prior to my period that shoots down the top of my legs to my knee cap. When I am on my period I have a heavy feeling, like you do when you are pregnant right before you deliver.

Any information or advice would be helpful, Thanks.....
Hi, I am 34 and have had one child.I did not find out I was pregnant until I was four months due to continued heavy and irregular periods.Went for scan to test for eptopic pregnancy after cramping pains, this is when they found that I had an bicornuate uterus and fibroids, one baby in one side of my uterus and a cyst in the other side as I have a complete split.My pregnancy was not the best, constant pain and sickness throughout. Had to see a consultant every month to make sure baby was growing and forming correctly.My daughter is now 5 years old and nothing has changed with my periods they are stiil very heavy and irregular and very painful which made me think of endometriosis . My doctor suggested the Mirena to help control the bleeding and have it as birth control as well. After alot of consideration I have had it fitted, I have continually bled since fitting but stayed the same for a month now so I hope that I have had my period for this month and it has passed without noticing it.The only thing that has not gone as planned is I now have the occasional pain that I had when I was pregnant and I have to go to see if its in the right place by having a scan. I am panicking on the birth control front but I think its more due to the fact its new to me and nothings ever straight forward when it comes to these womanly pleasures. I hope this works for me as not many other options left.
i'm a 16 all most 17 year old girl who just found out i have a split utarus. and i'm trying to find out information i was told i cant have kids unless i get surgary. and i'm scared i dont know if after the surgary i will be able to have kids and i also whant to know if it makes you fell achy or like you have cold symptoms.?? and i hurt when i have to go to the bathroom or when i walk a sertain amout of distance so can you or someone please help me about it?? my step father will not take me to a girl doctor or pay for surgary so will i live if i dont mess with it??
please E-mail me at jaz_spazz42069***@****
I'm 40 yrs I've just been told i have a bicornuate womb ,which really surprised me after having to two  healthy pregnancies and i went over my full term with both, i had a miscarriage befor my two boys , i'm  also on the mirena and yes i've had ups a nd downs but it has sorted my peroids out now the only problem is that i'm not fully protected i've been told (contraception) and with my migranes (migraines) which have eased up , i was thinking of getting sterialized befor i had the mirena as that was supposed to be the better option until i found out my predicament  
I was diagnosed with a heart shaped uterus during the first couple weeks of my first pregnancy, my son was preterm, delivered at 29 weeks and 6 days.  I have had no problems with my periods, but was afraid to have an unplanned pregnancy and have another preterm baby, so I was told I had the option of Mirena or Paragard (an none hormonal choice), because my body reacted badly to all other hormonal birth control, I choose Paragard.  Within 6 months, I became pregnant again, because my uterus pushed my iud out of my cervix, but it never fully fell out so I was unaware.  I went to research this, and it actually states that if you have a misshapen uterus that it does not recommend using an iud for birth control.
I have been suggested the mirena coil but i have a Bicornuate uterus and having a hystoscopy this month, wondered if anyone has had this procedure done and had the mirena coil fitted. Does it work because i cant take no more bleeding or the pain.