IS IT OKAY TO SWIM DURING YOUR PERIOD?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

IS IT OKAY TO SWIM DURING YOUR PERIOD?

WELL, I'VE BEEN READING A LOT ABOUT WHETHER IT'S OKAY TO SWIM OR NOT DURING YOUR PERIOD BUT I AM GETTING DIFFERENT ANSWERS. PLEASE LETS KNOW IN PLAIN ENGLISH IF IT'S OKAY OR NOT AND WHY? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
EXCEPT if you're swimming in shark infested waters.  (I'm not kidding,  maybe that's what you've heard,  and misunderstood).  

Don't go snorkeling in the ocean if you're on your period,  your chances of being attacked,  even by small sharks,  is high.

Otherwise,  fine.

The reason I know this is I love to snorkel,  and do  it a lot,  but you have to plan around that time.
It is perfectly fine to swim during your period.  It is perfectly fine to do any activity during your period.  It is an old wives tale that you should be couped up doing nothing.  I swim, I take baths and every other normal thing I normally do.  If you are a pad wearer and don't feel comfortable going without one during your time in the pool--wear a tampon for that short period.  But usually when you are in water your blood flow will slow way down or stop.
I never heard that you can't go swiming while having you period, But you need to wear a tampon. Wear a fresh one right befor going into the water and if you have heavy periods, change about every hour. Also if you do alot of activity in the water you may what to change it when you get a chance.
It's good to keep active and exercise during your period. It increases the hormones that are responsible for lowering pain thresholds. Yes, it is ok to swim during your period. I use tampons. Best wishes to you.
I had my menses on the 15th may and i went out with my bf on the 21st(the day i finished my period). We did not have sex but instead i did a handjob for him and stained myself wid a little abit of sperm on my finger. We went to the shop behind my block to get a drink and after tat i went home. Will i get pregnant if i touch my vagina with the finger which is stained with sperm? I did not really insert it all the way. Just a little deep. But i held a cold canned drinks before doing that and the sperm is already dried out. Will i get pregnant?
Yes, it's completely fine to go swimming while on your period.
If the sperm is already dried out then no you can't get pregnant.  
I am on verge of finishing my period. But there are still traces of blood occasionally. I've got my swimming lesson coming up tommorrow morning. Do you think it will be ok for me to swim tommorrow. Thanks for you advice
im on my fourth day of my period and i have water polo practice in 3 hours and im hardly bleeding at all and i dont know if i should use a tampon and take it out when im done just to be safe...
YES you can swim on your period. it is fine, safe. ritzyb, tampons are ok to wear even while light.
my daughter is in 4th grade and she is in the swim team. she swims everyday for 1 hour. i don't know when she's going to start having period but i have to know what should i do when she finally got her first period. i don't want her to wear tampon either so can she swim with pad? pls help.
HELP !!!

i have got swimming in 1 hour and i have no tampons or pads and my period started 30 years  ago it keeps flodding my pants with blood

wat should i do ?????
Hey guys!!
Umm, well i have only had my period since september last year (2008) and im due in a couple of days. But i am oging on a surf camp next monday, and we are swimming in the beach.. i will ahev my period but it wont really be heavy, maybe just medium or even light. But i really dont want to use a tampon, is it alright to swim in the BEACH? cause it wouldnt show, and it wouldnt be much, is this alright, or not?
you either need to use a tampon or not go swiming. no one will be able to tell when you in the water but you will eventually have to get out of the water and you will start leaking if you dont have a tampon on and you wont be swimming with a pad on
I actually can't even have a bath during my period.  I wear tampons, but they tend to soak up the bath water and shortly after the blood starts to leak out.  Unlike what most of you seem to be saying, my blood flow doesn't seem to slow down or stop at all when I'm in water.
HELP!!!!!! I had my period (I think cus it was a tiny winy spot of blood) then I had it da next month but then I did not have it fo like 5 or 4 months and now I just got it I think (cus I u know wipped and saw blood) and idk is that mee period or wat????!!! Help idk ways rong wth me!
i tiny spot of blood is not a period....its just a tiny spot of blood that can be from a number of reasons. and if you wiped and saw blood...and it keeps comming and lasts 5 days and your feeling pain...that would be your period.
im confused and worried. your not sure if your getting your period for the first time, but your name is SEX ADDICT. if  your young enough to be getting a period for the first time...you shouldnt be even thinking about sex. wayyy to young
I'm travelling to the maldives tomorrow and i just got my period. I payed a lot of money for this and i don't want it to be ruined just coz of my period, so is it safe to swim while on my second or 3rd day? I've heard that salty sea water is not good
im going swiming and its a regular apartment pool i dont knw if it will leak or not and i DONT i mean i DONT REALLY WONT TO USE A TAMPON im 11 yrs im SURE its really uncofroable and ive heard on here tht pads will soak up water and it willlook like im wearing a diper and trust me i am NOT risking that!!!!!!!!!!!! SO WHT IN THE WORLD DO I DO!!!!!!!!!!!! HeLp!!..
YES you can swim on your period! As long as your in the water most women stop bleeding but if you like you can swim with a tampon or pad just to be safe.
I am 11 y.o. and want 2 go swimming with my family in 2-3 hours but I have my period and my mom won't let me use tampons what should I due???
i am going to the gold coast australia in one month and i am going to the theam parks and stuff like wet and wild and will hav my period, do i hav to wear a tampon or can i wear a pad or just go with nothing PLEASE HELP!!!
You can't go without nothing, you'll just bleed on everything. If you intend to swim, it's also common curtsey to everyone there, as you'd be bleeding in the water. It's recommended to wear a tampon if you are going to swim, or be in a bathing suit. A pad can't be used in the water, as it would just absorb it. If you are NOT going to swim, a pad would be fine but it might be noticed you're on your period if you wear one in a bathing suit.
um can i go snorkling while on my period.....?
Um.. I'm going swimming tomorrow with my cousins. I dont use tampons, but if I did, how were I to put it on?

I'm a virgin, just saying.

HELP!
Are you serious? OMG!
hi im on my period and its really heavy and i have swimming class next monday and i have to do it ! would i be able to go swimming with out wearing anything !?????????? pls HELP!
i am going swimming in a few hours i am on my period and it is fairly heavy but i can not use tampons what can i do!!!!!
I got my period for this month already and I got it again it usually last for 5 days since its the second time will it last for less days or will it still be for five days please answer I'm going swimming with my grade tomorrow and I want to know
You're grammar and spelling, that's what's wrong with you.
Try wearing a thick pad and bringing extra safety clothes in case of an emergency iguess idk
Is it okay to swim And not wear a tampon?
I want to swim at my church camp how can I without tampons??
Is this a joke? You mean "your spelling and grammar."
Even without a tampon?
It's perfectly fine to go swimming with ur period
It's perfectly fine go swimming with a pad it will just contaminate the water
just pretend its a small mouse with a tail when you put it up there, will make you feel less scared and a little light hearted, can be fun you know :)
I have not has my period this month but an swimming next Thursday for 30 mins I CAN'T use a tampon (believe me I've tried) I can wear a pad is it ok to wear a pad in the swimming pool

•oh my swimming costume is black
I just wanted to know if you can get infections and stuff If you swim without a tampon or pad by the way it was alone in a swimming pool and not thee ocean
You can swim in a pool with your tampon on,there will not be any infections since its a swimming pool that your talking of,and chlorinated water will kill germs if any.If you have a heavy flow you should avoid swimming without a tampon. You can wear adira period panties to avoid staining during or after swimming,i usually wear those to avoid any embarrassing scenes at the pool.
can i swimm with out a pad or tampon i dont want to where a tampon because it hurts and i cand ware a pad because it will just asob to much water and ya so i neeed an answer asap cuse i am going sw9mming tomarrow
I'm going away with my boyfriend and his family next week and will be on my period. i'm okay with wearing a tampon but i want to know if anything will be visible in the water? when i go swimming i will probably be on my second or third day. Thanks :)
I know this post is quite a few years old, but I see people commenting. When I go swimming and on my period, I don't wear anything at all (besides a swim suit of course lol). When I get out I just dry off and go to the bathroom, change and put a pad on. My flow completely STOPS when I'm in the water so I don't see a need to put anything on.
No ur perfectly fine that happened to me once and im not pregnant i thought i was because my period stop but that was because i didnt mark my calender right but trust me ur going to be fine