WOMEN'S HEALTH
COMMUNITY
IS IT OKAY TO SWIM DURING YOUR PERIOD?
by ishaeva87, Jun 01, 2007
WELL, I'VE BEEN READING A LOT ABOUT WHETHER IT'S OKAY TO SWIM OR NOT DURING YOUR PERIOD BUT I AM GETTING DIFFERENT ANSWERS. PLEASE LETS KNOW IN PLAIN ENGLISH IF IT'S OKAY OR NOT AND WHY? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Member Comments (48)
by RockRose, Jun 01, 2007
EXCEPT if you're swimming in shark infested waters.  (I'm not kidding,  maybe that's what you've heard,  and misunderstood).  

Don't go snorkeling in the ocean if you're on your period,  your chances of being attacked,  even by small sharks,  is high.

Otherwise,  fine.

The reason I know this is I love to snorkel,  and do  it a lot,  but you have to plan around that time.
by jd1419, Jun 01, 2007
It is perfectly fine to swim during your period.  It is perfectly fine to do any activity during your period.  It is an old wives tale that you should be couped up doing nothing.  I swim, I take baths and every other normal thing I normally do.  If you are a pad wearer and don't feel comfortable going without one during your time in the pool--wear a tampon for that short period.  But usually when you are in water your blood flow will slow way down or stop.
by amberrose101, Jun 01, 2007
I never heard that you can't go swiming while having you period, But you need to wear a tampon. Wear a fresh one right befor going into the water and if you have heavy periods, change about every hour. Also if you do alot of activity in the water you may what to change it when you get a chance.
by tmv, Jun 01, 2007
It's good to keep active and exercise during your period. It increases the hormones that are responsible for lowering pain thresholds. Yes, it is ok to swim during your period. I use tampons. Best wishes to you.
by Aruba417, Jun 01, 2007
Yes, it's completely fine to go swimming while on your period.
by aimntrev, Jun 01, 2007
If the sperm is already dried out then no you can't get pregnant.  
by amanda90, Jun 01, 2007
I had my menses on the 15th may and i went out with my bf on the 21st(the day i finished my period). We did not have sex but instead i did a handjob for him and stained myself wid a little abit of sperm on my finger. We went to the shop behind my block to get a drink and after tat i went home. Will i get pregnant if i touch my vagina with the finger which is stained with sperm? I did not really insert it all the way. Just a little deep. But i held a cold canned drinks before doing that and the sperm is already dried out. Will i get pregnant?
by lz817, Feb 15, 2008
I am on verge of finishing my period. But there are still traces of blood occasionally. I've got my swimming lesson coming up tommorrow morning. Do you think it will be ok for me to swim tommorrow. Thanks for you advice
by ritzyb, Jun 23, 2008
im on my fourth day of my period and i have water polo practice in 3 hours and im hardly bleeding at all and i dont know if i should use a tampon and take it out when im done just to be safe...