IUD with pregnancy symptoms, but negative test....HELP???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 201-394 comments:
Ok, so I found that half of my herb name was taken out of my earlier post.  It was not my intention to write anything vulgar.  But you have the first half of the name.
So I got mine in June and I had horrible cramping, I wanted to eat all the time, I felt horribly tired, I gained a TON of weight  and whenever drank I threw up it made me so scares I was pregnant but I went to the doctors and I wasn't, then a week later I started my period and I had it for 2 weeks! 3 days after that I started feeling sick all the time like I could puke and I started to get horrible headaches and my boobs felt tight and oh I kept feeling horribly dizzy! All I could think was here we go again, Omg am I pregnant or is it this stupid mirena! But I have yearly check up on Friday so I'm keeping my fingers together that I'm not! And I'm probaly good to get this taken out because I don't wanna feel like this unless I am! I even feel like my belly is getting tight and bigger but then somedays it dosent! Has anyone else had this problem? I really need some advice lol
I'm in the exact same spot. My Mirena has been in for a little over 3 years now. I have: Extreme breast tenderness, heartburn, mood swings, back pain, weight gain, mild cramping, dizziness and an increased appetite. My husband wants another right now, I'm not really ready. He would be thrilled if I were pregnant, but it scares me with all the possible complications. Good luck to you all!
I have had my iud for just over 2 years now. I had some periods and then none the last year and a half. Sometimes I spot and its different shades of red. And I cramp at times. But I suppose over the last two months Ive been noticing, at first my boobs throbbed for like two weeks, I started eating weird, Ive been feeling queezy no morning sickness like my first two, i am feeling movement.... little movements alot when I notice. Im just so busy with work, school, and 3 other little ones. Thats it I cant wait for my doctor apt in two weeks I need to know now. I am going to the emergency room just in case I have a tubal pregnancy.
I've had my IUD for almost three years, this is the first time, i've felt brest tenderness, sick to everything I smell, cravings, My husband would love another one, right now, though things are very tough already as they are.
I'm moody, back pains, weght gain, stomach tighting.
I've taken a home pregnancy, but with the IUD, I'm not sure if it would read it clearly because of the hormono it lets out.
I've had two to three peridos since i've had the IUD.
I have had my IUD in for almost 3 years and found out that I'm pregnant. The doctors thought that it was a tubal pregnancy but it is not. My baby does not have a heartbeat and I'm scheduled to have a D and C done on Tuesday Dec. 21. I have 4 loving and wonderful children, that don't know what is going on. I'm still on pain and trying to hold it together. My husband and I have talked about having more children but the timing was is not right.
I have mirena in for about almost two years.many times i thought i was pregnant because my period never came. But it was all fake. Now  i actually feel pregnant. i have been feeling dizzy for about four weeks. i throw up, could not stand smelling some smells. headaches and backachces. i fell tired without doing anything. i have gain wieght quickly. as soon as i eat i have to run to the bathroom. i have grown a cup size bigger. i feel like when i was pregnant with my daughter but worst. now i feel movements. i have no clue on what to do. my husband has been deported. if i am pregnat i don't know what to do. can you guys give me some clues.
This is sooooo frustrating that I cannot find any concrete information other than other woman's experiences. I have had the mirena iud in for almost 4 1/2 years with minimal side effects and very light if any periods. Last week I thought I had a stomach virus but it is now a week later and I'm still suffering with diarrhea. My lower back is soar, my boobs blew up, I have to fight with my clothes to get them on, have heartburn 3 times this week, weird food cravings but once i get the food or make it I dont want it. I took one test this morning and it seemed negative but the directions said even the faintest second line should be considered a positive test so I went out and bought some digital ones and took it and it said not pregnant. WTF?????? Im going to wait till tomorrow morning and do it again. UGH, kill me now, lol my youngest is going to be 7 in a month and I was looking forward to my freedom in 9-11 years lol but if it was meant to be it will be.
I have had the merina IUD in for a little over 2 years now.  I have always had a normal period, every month, until last month.  December and now January my period hasn't come. I have taken many home pregnancy tests and I had a urine pregnancy test at the hospital and all came back negative.  I am worried since with my prior 2 pregnancies I had to have blood tests to find out, and that was without the IUD.  Now I am really concerned, especially since I have every symptom of being pregnant, even worse then the last two times.  I really wish that there were more facts about this subject and it seems like most people on here were noticing this after the first couple years.  This is strange to me
I need some information!! I have had my mirena for 1 months, had a period regular as clockwork for the first 6 months then they stopped, which it says is normal. However, on christmas day I had a bleed which only lasted the day, and had cramping. The past week or so, my breasts have been very very sore, I have to hold them if I have no bra on!! And I have been having more discharge than usual and on the odd morning feeling sick .. I have done a pregnancy test last week which was negative but I'm still having all these symptoms! HELP?!
Sorry, I did mean to put 11 months on the above post!
Ok. I have had the mirena for almost 3 years now and i have had a regular on schedule period every month, except this past month. I have not had may symptoms except for being hungry more often, gaining weight, and little flutters in my tummy.Could it just be the mirena???
I've had my Mirena IUD for a year now. The past couple of weeks I've had headaches, I cant quench my thirst, I'm CRAVING apples and fresh jalapeños bc they help quench my thirst, my face is breaking out, my heartburn meds no longer work (I have heartburn all the time...preg or not), and I never feel rested. I'm not really sure what my deal is but I took a home pregnancy test and it was negative. I am not really sure what the problem is?
ok so i have had mirena for a year now and im having pregnancy symptoms, i dont know if its just the mirena or if i really could be pregnant. things that usually smell good to me are making me sick, my appetite has changed, i feel sick to my stomach every time i eat... i dont have insurance right now so im kinda worried. any advice?
I have been on Mirena for 14 months, since my second child was born.  I haven't had a true period since before my last pregnancy, which I guess is due to breast feeding and the Mirena.  In the last few days, my tummy has poked out.  Then I realized, I've been having headaches, backache, I have vommited once and had nausea.  I've been training for a 15k, and not lost any weight.  I think I can see movement in my tummy.  I've been very irritable and weepy, also.  So, I took two home pregnancy tests and they both came back negative.  I've been searching on-line to see if HPTs are accurate after the first tri-mester and have found sites that say yes and others that say no.  I can't call my OB until Monday.  I am so afraid of being pregnant and ending up with a miscarriage or a baby with birth defects.  I am calling my OB on Monday, and getting this thing removed!  I am going to go back on the pill instead.  This is just torture.
I wish everyone would post again and say whether they finally were pregnant or not!  Are these all just side effects of mirena or are these women the less than 1% of mirena users who end up pregnant?
At least we all know we are not alone in this!  I was thinking "am I crazy?!"  I feel pregnant, but the test is negative, I was almost too embarrassed to call my OB, but now that I see this is pretty common, I am going to call on Monday.
I have read all the posts on here, I have had my iud for 2 1/2 years . I have never really had a period. I have been pleased with it actually. In the begining I had to go and have it clipped on two different occasions. The string kept getting longer. But other than that I really have not had any symptoms. I have scheduled an appt for the 31st to have it removed . I am ready to have another baby. But I had to take a test today because I really feel different than I usually do. Over the summer I lost 40 lbs and since I have been home (quit full time job to be home with boys) I have put on about 30 pounds or so. I'm sure it is because I am not getting out much, but for a good month plus I have been very emotional , back pain, period like cramps and bloating, spotting. I am always hungry. I am so tired that I can't even explain , more than I have ever been in my life. And that is not normal for me. So I guess I see that many of you are going through some of the same things that I am. But like you I hade a negitive test result . So I guess I wait till I go see the Dr. and go from there. But I am also very concerned with the negitive effects that the iud has on the baby if i were to become pregnant with it.
IM NOT CRAZY!!! Thank god. I have been feeling horrible. Exactly as i did when i was pregnant but all the test came back negitive. A week ago i passed a mucus clot that looked IDENTICAL to a mucus plug. And i have been having random contractions. I am so freaked out. And lately passed two weeks i bleed everyday a horrid brown/black blood. I dont want to think im pregnant nor think the baby is hurt. I went to the doctor and got a pee test came back negetive. But why do i feel this way!!
Hello all!

I got the mirena put in after I had my son Aug 2008. Everything seemed fine, I even had my period every month like usual.

Well, I think I may be pregnant. I have two kids, so I know all too well what pregnancy feels like.

First my symptoms started with a missed period. Then after that, a spot of brownish blood came out, not sure if it was the 'missed period' or not. That didn't last long, maybe an hour. Then I had cramping, thought maybe a miscarriage, but that didn't last that long either (maybe a couple hours). That all happened within the same two days.

That was a couple months ago. Still no period.

During the couple of months (could of been 3 months), I have nausea (i don't throw up like I did with my other two tho!), my appetite has changed. I want to eat stuff with more taste (peppers, jalapenos, etc),  I'm tired all the time, my belly feels bloated and full, even tho when I'm hungry I'll get these hunger pains (they go away after I eat), my belly still feels full/bloated when I haven't eaten (and when I do). I have to pee all the time, my boobs are sore, the other day I squeezed them gently and clear stuff came out. I'll choke up (tear up) over silly commercials. I get 'snippy' (as my boyfriend likes to call it) over silly things. And I am quick to apologize right after because I realize after I've said it that is was rude and uncalled for, but I can't help it, the words just come out before I can think! I'm hot all the time, get hot flashes (if I didn't know any better I'd think menopause!) and I get very pissy if I get hot. More than usual. I can't lay on my belly or my back anymore, it feels like a round ball when I do. I lay on my side to sleep but I have to lay my legs on top of each other, cause any pressure on my belly is uncomfortable. I haven't gained any weight except in my belly (it doesn't look fat though, just like a baby belly, all round). I think my boobs are a little bigger, but that I can't be too sure on. I have been having very vivid dreams. Ones that bother me in particular are the 2 I've had about a new baby (my other two kids were in the dream as well). I never have dreams about babies except my own, and they have already been here when I had the dream..Sometimes I have a burst of energy and want to clean, but most times I just want to relax and do nothing.

Now here is where I might sound crazy...I SWEAR I feel movement...Not really kicking, but like fluttering. This just started to happen within the last 2 weeks. Usually around 4-6 am I feel it more. Sometimes it feels like little tiny hiccups and sometimes it feels like little butterflies in there.

I have taken 4 pregnancy tests all at least a week apart. The very first one I took was a cheapy test, it was very faint, but was negative. Then I took 3 of the expensive ones, all came out negative.

I wanted to explain my situation so that way when I do find out the results, I can give you all my answer. When I searched for answers all I came up with was more questions and women's experiences.

I, as some of you, do not have insurance. I will be calling a free clinic tomorrow to get a blood test. I do know that mirena can make a false negative. But I'm not sure on a blood test. I would assume it would tell you? Or should I request an ultrasound?

I hope to get answers soon so I can help answer many women who are going through the same issue.
well like you guys said its good to know im not the only confused one ......i have a 3 year old daughter i got mirena inserted inside of me january 29th 2008 my 3rd year with it so far all pregnancy test have came out negative but i got remarried 7 it says consult a doctor when switching sexual partners so yeah ive had cravings gain of weight breast are very very perky& have grown alot so idk whats going on my main question is those the weather  its hormones make your breast increas or whats going on here  well ill find out the 15th of feb good luck to all of you
I was looking for an answer but  I just found unanimus questions. How come I feel pregnant, diddnt get my period and the test I made at home came out negative twice? is there something in mirena that causes the test to come negative?
I have been feeling the same way. I have had my IUD for a little over 2 years and my period was very consistant untill a couple motnhs ago. I am very tired and feel bloated and uncomfortable a lot of the time. And i will radomly get the sore feeling in my breasts.  I have taken home tests and they have all come back negative. I am going to the doctor this friday and plan on asking for a blood test just to be sure.
    I would love to know what the results for you all were? I have had the mirena in place for 2 years, when my Dr inserted the IUD she tugged on the strings to make sure it was in place and "accidentally" tore it out of my cervix. She then inserted a second IUD. The first few months were hell for me, with the cramping and bleeding. But I grew to love the Mirena for the next year and a half. 6 months ago I had all the pregnancy symptoms. Heavy uterus, nausea, dizzy spells, fatigue, bloated and minor cramping. I went to my Dr and she sent me for blood tests which came back negative. So, I assumed that its just Mirena symptoms. I swear my Dr thinks I am a hypochondriac because I was in there so often. Along with all these symptoms I also have chronic BV which I never had prior to having the mirena inserted.

I have never gotten my period with Mirena up until a month ago. I had my period for 2 days, along with large dark blood clots, Then a week later I had spotting. Since then all the pregnancy symptoms have come back plus some. I am nauseas, get intense dizzy spells, bloated (even though I have lost 3 lbs since the symptoms have started) My clothes are tight and feel super uncomfortable on my pelvic area. Im tired but get cleaning spurts, I have restless legs when I finally lay down for bed and can't sleep. I have had 3 dreams where I didn't know I was pregnant and gave birth to a new baby girl. One of the dreams was a miscarriage. I'm SOOO emotional, I could cry for days and days about the same topic (which is not like me at all). Last night I woke up with heartburn and a headache. I have severe back pain and my breasts are sore. I feel sick (kinda like when your super hungry) so I eat, but then I feel even more nauseas. I took 2 at home pregnancy tests which both read negative.

I have researched this and I found out that with the Mirena there is a higher risk for cysts. A symptom of the cysts is "pregnancy symptoms" as well as spotting and cramping.

My son just had to get an ultrasound on his testes today because one is undescended and they had to see where it was. We get the results in a couple days. I don't want to be going to my Dr and making it about me right now until everything is figured out with him (especially because she already thinks I'm a hypochondriac).

Wish you all well.
I ended up going to the ER due to some pelvic pain on Wednesday. I got a blood test done, along with some other tests. The doctor came in, said I was in no way pregnant, but I may have a cyst, tumor or endometriosis (all my tests were clear). So he scheduled for me to have an ultrasound. I just came back from my ultrasound earlier today. They said my IUD was correctly placed, but didn't say anything about cyst, etc. I guess I'll have to wait for the results. I made sure they would call me if I might die this weekend (half joke). I will keep you guys updated. I know how it feels to go through a bunch of craziness!
Are you all talking about the IUD that goes in your arm?
I've had the IUD since Jan 08 and I never once had a period since getting it. I absolutely love it. I once thought I was pregnant and took tests and stuff but the doctor told me that sometimes you get the symptoms of being pregnant but really your're not. It takes some time for your body to get used to the IUD being inside you and he said never do the home pregnancy tests because pretty much it will come back negative and you're just wasting your money. I had like three incidents where I felt like I was pregnant but each time he said it's just the mirena making you feel like you are and also don't get paranoid about it.. so with that being said, I really don't worry anymore. But if you ARE pregnant get the mirena out as quick as you can before it hurts the baby or even miscarries it (heard that if u are pregnant there's a chance u will miscarry if they take it out) or if you choose to keep it in, it might be stuck to the baby when it's born. Anyway, Better safe than sorry. GO to the doctor if you have any concerns!
im 22 and i have the copper iud. ive had it for over 3 years no problem. im 3 weeks late. ive been pretty much fine. ive had headaches more and heartburn. i was going to get a new tattoo but now im starting to freak out. i have no insurence or the money for a blood test. i just took a at home one and it was negative but im worried with all the post about them working. ill try to remeber to post back.
Hello, Ive aslo have the Mirena IUD its been 3 years its going to be 4 years in October. I havent had a period for 3 years now. But lately Ive been feeling werid boobs are sore, cramping and real sleepy even mood swings. I took a test last week but it was negative should I go to the doctor to have a blood test done. and also Ive been having a little discharge. What should I do?
i wish that when the physicians insert the mirena they would give us the whole run down of it all(symptoms)so you can decide if this is right for you and if you really want to go through something like this.i have had mines in for about 3 years and just like many of you i too am now starting to have these symptoms.with a negative pregnancy result.so please if some one out there have the answer please post it so that we can know what to do .
I had my 5 year IUD in 1 1/2 yrs ago, haven't had periods, just spoting and randon cramping.  I now look 5 months pregnant and feel all the symptoms that go with pregnancy.Like everyone else I took a preg test that was Negative. I have always been thin and never gain weight except with each of my 4 children.  My youngest is almost 2 and I was thinner in the tummy at 6 weeks after he was born than I am now.  I have read all your comments and just want to know if I will go back to my normal self if I get the IUD removed.  Has anyone had preg symptoms then had the IUD removed and had the weight and symptoms disappear?  Don't want to go back to periods if it won't get rid of the other problems.
Hello everyone, After I had my first child, I had the mirena iud put in. I have had it in for about two years now.Sence I had mirena put in I had preiods for about a year, and now i have no periods. now i had a big light spotting.  I'm cerrently feeling like im pregnant. I get really tried like i havent slept, over heated, headaches,backaches, thigt , and pain feeling in my tummy and I swear i feel movements, and their are food that i cant even stand to be around. If I sit up to long i feel like i could throw up ,and the only way to get rud of it is to lad down.When I lay down my back harts more than unuslly so i lay side ways and it still harts.I going take prenancy test to make sure , and  a blood test. Just like you woman looking for answers.
Ok, so I finally got to talk to a doctor. Found out I do have cysts. I have to go into see him on the 14th. Just wanted to let you all know =)
So I got my IUD put in 3 months ago. I bleeded for about 5 weeks and haven't had a period yet. Over the last 3-4 weeks I have felt weird. My boobs are SUPER sore, I pee a lot, I feel upset to my tummy all the time and it is really bad if I don't eat, I am hungry all the time, tired ALL the time, and I have a lot of extra spit lately. I have taken 2 pregnacy test and the both said NO but I feeling worse. Over the last couple of days my tummy has felt tight and bloated. Could I be pregnant?? Anyone with any ideas or advise please let me know.
So were you pregnant or not?
hey that is crazy cause that is exactly how i have been feeling but everyone says it is normal but i hope i am not because my daughter is only 7 months right now  i have had the mirena for 6 1/2 months. and my boobs are sore and i have been bleeding very heavy and my belly is hard and hurts when i push on it. could i be pregnant?
I have had the mirena for 4 yrs now and I'm starting to experience a lot more fatigue than usual, mood swings, cramps, terrible nausea and gagging, low back pain, abdominal pain and the list goes on I haven't had a period in a long time either but I thought that was normal with the iud..... and a little over a month ago I bled pretty heavy for a few days then nothing then spotted for 2 days then nothing and still no more bleeding....... I'm so nervous can I be pg?????? HELP
I have had the mirena for about a year and have pregnancey symptoms as well I have gained 20 pounds & gone up 3 breast cup sizes I'm a triple d now!!! & I took a test & it said negetive but I have so many symptoms its making me feel crazy is it possible for there to be a false negitive or am I really just losing my mind?
Here is my story after I had my last child who turned 6 in march of 2005 I had the Mirena put in I loved it. When the five years pasted in march 2010 I got it out I left it out till november 2010 so I could deside if that was what I wanted again. In dec. 2010 I went and got a new Mirena put in since it worked so well and I liked it so much the first time around. After having it in I was bleeding daily for the first month and a half!! After the bleeding stopped I started to get a slight pain in my right hand side, I was always tired, I started being hungry all the time and had really bad mood swings. None of these thing happened to me the first time around!! The pains in my side started to get worse and worse and none of my reg. doctors knew why. So since all the symptoms started after I got the IUD I figured it had to be related. The pains in my side got so bad I made my doctor take out my IUD even tho he tried to talk me into leaving it in. once it was out the very next day I started to bleed so bad I was going through 4 to 5 super plus tampons a hour and there were these huge clots coming from me. I told my obgyn and he said that was not normal so I just had blood work dome friday they are thinking maybe a tubal pregnancy. I will have the resaults tomorrow. If anyone else has had the same thing happen let me know? and what was the out come?
I've had the IUD in for 4yrs now.. 'Ive had a total of 6 scares and am now on my 7th ...I'm going to the doctors tomorrow I've had enough. don't get me wrong i love the IUD but its stressing me out hard core.  as you all said my home tests and doctor visit test are all NEGATIVE.   the real jacked up part about this whole situations is my clock keeps ticking at me and nagging at me to have another baby.   my husband not so much. i will let you all know whats going on later after i go to the doctor and find out.
Ok so I too have been having all the same symptoms. My husband keeps telling me I am crazy. He def does not want any more kids. I am ok to the fact. I have had my mirena now for almost 4 years. Since having it put in I have had irregular spotting even going for about 6 weeks with nothing. It has actually been very nice. The last time I had anything was superbowl weekend and it was just very little spotting. The time before that was just a very little on Christmas morning. When I told my husband I suspect I might be pregnant he said I was crazy. Well I took a home pregnancy test yesterday because I might be crazy but I swear I feel movement.  The test was negative.  It took me a while to call the doctor because I thought they would just think that I am crazy. I feel my strings so I thought I was crazy. But after reading this I don't think I am anymore. I scheduled an Appt with my doctor for next week. They first tried telling me to go to the health clinic and have a pregnancy test but I insisted that I just peed on a stick and it came out negative that I want an ultrasound done. So they scheduled me for an Appt with the doctor first. I promise that I will repost once I go see the doctor. Its not an empty promise like most everybody else is.  I am curious to know what all the other doctors said but they never do repost. So if your curious check back on Tuesday evening.
Well my appt is scheduled for 11 this morning.  I am really nurvous about going.  Hopefully everything will be ok.  Although I have to say that I did start bleeding two days ago but yet still feeling movement.  So right now i am really confused.  If it turns out I am not pregnant than I am going to just have the IUD removed.  If I am I hope everything is ok with the baby and hopefully they can safely remove the IUD.  Heres to seeing how things go.  My appt is in two hours so as soon as I get home I will post to let you all know how things went.
I have the non hormonal IUD and for the last almost 2 weeks I have been nauses...boobs hurting...eating like crazy ...tired...and birh ankles swell! Now I am cramping and see.a lil light blood...took two test last week and both negative!!! I am going crazy and don't know what us goinf on with my body
ok so I just got home from the doctors and all they did was do a urine test which of course came out negative. (DUH I could have told them that much seeming how i took one at home).  Then they check for the merina and said that it was there in place.  So they are doing a blood test and that is it.  He told me that if it is in place and the urine test came out negative and the blood test comes out negative then I am not pregnant.  I asked about the movement and he said that I am probably imagining it since i have been doing all this research and got it in my head that I might be pregnant.  Maybe he is right.  Who knows.  So I am now waiting for the results of the blood test.  I asked how to go about having it removed and he said that my insurance will not cover it until the 5 year mark.  But I could pay for it and that it is going to cost me around $105.00 to have it removed.  So I am going to consider just paying for it.  Good Luck to all you women out there.  I know that this is nerve racking.
i have had the mirana for about a yr now and i have experienced the mood swings, irregular period. But now, I am experiencing the nauseas feeling, swollen stomach, fatigue, and just plain out blah. I had these similar symptoms when i ound out i was pregnant with my son. I took 2 pregancy tests and they both came out neg. I am going to the dr nxt week to get a blood test.
Okay, so I'm 19 and I've had my IUD mirena a lil over 2 years now. I got it though I have never had kids ONLY because my OB said I was SUPER healthy. SO lately thes past few weeks I've had constant headaches, I'm always tired, I get nausea at random moments, I've gained weight in ONLY my stomach reign and everybody thinks I'm absolutely crazy. I've never BEEN pregnant but I have certainly done my research. I took 2 test one last night and one this morning and both turned out negative. But my mom who has 3 kids my 2 brothers and I had taken home pregnancy tests with ALL of us and they all turned out negative but when going to the Doctors for a blood test she found out that she was actually pregnant all 3 times. I made an appt for tomorrow morning with my OB as an urgent appt. The advice nurse on the phone had told my mom too that having a neg home pregnancy test and positive blood test could be hereditary...So who knows! I'm going ABSOLUTELY crazy! :( And it's killing me...
So I had the IUD since the past 2 years. I had the 10yr one. Three weeks ago I was feeling dizzy and having nausea from time to time. I got my period but it was like a brownish color for three days and on the 4th and 5th day I had regular period after wards the brownish came back. My period only last like about 5-7 days and for some reason this month it my period would last for almost two weeks. I started getting worried because my breast were aching and I constantly felt fatigued. About a week ago I went in and bought an expensive preg. test. It came out POSITIVE. I was so scared. I have a 10 and 5 year old never in a million years would I have imagine this would happen to me. I rushed to the Drs office. He had the IUD removed, I really wanted to be pregnant and go through it again. I had blood work done twice per week everything was looking good. This week I went in and my blood work was low. My doctor told me that the pregnancy was not looking good and eventually I would have a miscarriage. I stopped spotting I am scared I have never had a miscarriage. My breast still ache and I still feel bloated. I really wanted to have this baby. But I guess things happen for a reason.
i have on a copper IUD about 2 1/2 years now and no problem until now. i missed a month period and i spotted a little for a few days then it stopped( i thought it was my period). i have tender and soar breast, my belly is bloated like i am 3 to four months pregnant. i did a pregnancy test and it was negative. i dont know whats going on. i am having all these crazy symptoms. i wish i can have some help or good advice as to what to do.
Honestly, what you guys described are period symptoms. This is the exact reason why I got the copper IUD rather than the Mirena. I was terrified that if I didn't get a period I would be constantly concerned about pregnancy. I honestly have no worries now although the week long periods with heavy bleeding are getting old. Just chill out. If your doctors were worth anything they would have explained to you that you'll often have missed or light periods. They may even vanish altogether when using the Mirena. Also, the Copper T is a bit more effective than the Mirena, coming in with a 0.8% pregnancy rate opposed to 2% on Mirena. :) Just saying.
okay I have been very happy with my Mirena. I have not had a period in over six months..... I do feel smalls flutters but I felt those when I first got it too, like the Mirena is moving. Going to call the doctor tomorrow... Kind of freaked.. I don't want another baby. But I feel like I did with my first two, only I am not having constant migraines.... It's weird haven't taken a pregnancy test but weird-ed out
Just an FYI for everyone.  I have had my IUD in for almost 5 years.  I have had pregnancy symptoms on and off throughout the five years.  I have finally decided I have to get rid of Mirena.

I took an ethics class in January and learned more about Mirena than I thought I knew.  The IUD does not stop you from becoming pregnant.  It does not stop the egg from being fertilized.  However, it dries up your uterus so that the zygote cannot implant in your uterus.  That is the thing that I know my doctor did not mention to me.  I'm one of those that believe that conception is creation of a child, so in essence I have been killing some babies and that bothers me.  

At one point last year, I took 4 pregnancy tests just like I have read some of you have done.  Each one came back negative.  However, I have had so few UTIs in my life, I can tell you when I had them and why.  The only ones out of the blue are the ones that I have had when pregnant.  It was always my first sign of pregnancy.  Last year, I had that as well as the waking up at 2 am to go to the bathroom, the feeling so sick.  But each test was negative.  After another two weeks and one of those "spotty" periods that only show up every now and then, I began to feel perfectly fine.

So, for me, I cannot be on the Mirena because I am killing babies.  You may not feel the same, but I thought that I should let this information be posted.  It is something I would have liked to have known before I had the Mirena inserted.  Yes, I was told the risk of tubal pregnancy, but not that it would just not stop the fertilization of an egg, just the implanting of the egg so it would die.
im 7 weeks pregnant with a copper IUD its embedded in my uterus wall and will stay in thru pregnancy im so freaked out right now i dont know what to do! Dr isnt telling me a whole lot but i know i have a very large chance at loseing the baby:( i also had every sign of beig pregnant for the last 6 months! this IUD is not as great as they say it is and now i might lose my baby because of it! i didnt want to get pregnant but now that i am there is no way i want to lose it!! im glad the IUD works for some women but i wish they would tell you that you could possible feel crazy the whole time your on it and then you can get pregnant but most likely you will lose it:( im very upset they are still stating that this BC is one of the best! also i dont care what they state the rates are for becoming pregnant on the IUD everyone please look up pregnant with IUD and see all the women out there who are or have gotten pregnant its more then the 0.8%-2% that they atate! they really need to look more into this!!
i had mirena inserted in jan 07, after a few months my period disappeared almost completely. i have been sick for two months w pg symptoms. 4 negative tests and negative hcg. i jus had mirena removed. dr said the hormones mirena contains  may be the cause of some of the symptoms,but i had it for almost 5 yrs w no provlems so that dont make a bit of sense to me.im not looking forward to having periods again,im just tired of being sick everyday. all labs came back normal and i still have no reason while im sick.
honestly searching the internet like an obsessed, scared and desperate woman... your post has explained everything to me and made me understand why i have felt the way i have since January and put all my worries and crazy thoughts to rest. thank you so much and this informations seriously needs to be spread!!!
I'm glad I was able to help you.  I wish someone would have told me this earlier.  If I would hazard a guess I have been pregnant at least twice based upon my body's reaction to how I have been pregnant.  However, I can't prove anything.

I'm thankfully celibate at the moment, so I'm not in a huge rush to get it out, but I know that I cannot go through those thoughts anymore.  I was devastated when I realized all that I have about IUD's this year.  I was actually totally devastated when my friend had her baby.  I'm happy for her, but knowing that I had every sign of it, but no confirmation from a doctor, it is hard.  

I agree with the others - it isn't that I want to get pregnant, but if there is a baby, I don't want anything to happen to the baby.  
ok i have had my iud for almost 2 yrs now... i was scared before of being pregnant but wasn't. i haven't gotten  my period at all since i got my iud maybe a lil spotting here and there... but i am bleeding now, and don't know if this could be a sign. i am having cravings and i am sick to my stomach almost all the time... i am tired and was up all night last night with heart burn. HELP!!!!! i need to know i am not ready at all to have another child and i'm so scared to ask anyone in my family
For an update: I was never pregnant! These are all symptoms of Mirena. The cysts I had, they said it wouldn't be a big issue and they would go away. I still get nauseous and sick all the time. It comes and goes. I will be getting Mirena out as soon as I can come up with the cash for it! This is a birth control I would NEVER recommend. Causes too many problems and medical bills. I would rather get pregnant than have to deal with all this.
I'm gonna post this to put my thoughts out there, and maybe answer some of these questions...

I have the Mirena 5 yr. IUD. This was a decision that I had to make; I am able to have more babies, but my heart can't handle it, so my husband and I decided on the IUD because the other options seemed too permanent at the time.  I got the Mirena put in at my 6 weeks check-up after having our daughter in March of 2010. I have had both my children via C-section (again that was due to health issues) so it was painful when they put the mirena in. My nurse practitioner told me that the pain I felt was similar to contractions, and because I had the c-sections I had never dilated.
Anyways, this past year and a half I have had super short periods and the past 7 months or so they have dwindled to none. I have spotting after intercourse, but even recently that has gone away too. This morning I woke up and my breasts were producing what looked like colostrum!!! I almost cried! I would love another baby, but I have been warned to not get PG at all by my OB and my cardiologist. So I called my husband and I am going to take an at home test which will probably be neg...I don't feel PG. I have been moody and tired and have had items that kinda make me a little sicker than normal. I don't really know what is going on. I'm not gonna be crazy and freak out because I think the power of suggestion plays a huge role for all of us that have Mirena.  But better safe than sorry. I scheduled my annual girl check-up today. So I will discuss this with my Dr.

All this to say, I think as with ANY method of BC there are risks and each woman has to decide what is best for her own body. (I tried like 4 different BC pills before I found one that worked for me, prior to having kids. Since kids and my whole heart issue we found out about Mirena and it's worked for the past year and a half...not without it's little annoyances but it's worked.

OK - that's where I am... these are my thoughts on allllllllll the issues that have been posted and my personal experience with them.

As for the weight gain...I have gained weight this year, BUT I have also hit 30 and this is my second child, and I do diet drinks...like every day. So I don't think it's from the Mirena.

As for the extra facial hair...I have PCOS so I am already BFF with facial wax...and have been way before Mirena, again I don't think it's from the IUD.

As far as bleeding...I have it usually after intercourse but it's not bad, only light spotting, my Dr. told me that can happen.

As far as missed periods... the commercials on TV say the same thing that my Dr. told me, your periods may go away. And mine have. I personally think its a nice vacation from having them, but I also know that our bodies need them...so it's just something to be aware of.

**Every time I have had a question though I have called the nurses line and they told me that the issues were normal.
I think I am having some hormone changes and that's what the changes in my body are from....BUT like I said better safe than sorry, so I am checking into it.

I know this was a long post but so many of you all are having similar issues, So I just wanted to be honest and maybe help out 1 of you!
~ Take Care!
I've Had My IUD For About 8 Months Now.& I Have All The Symptoms Of Pregnancy But Morning Sickness!..Ive Been Probably Feelin This Way For About 3-4 Months..I Have No Idea What To Do, I'm Only 20 & I Am Physically, Mentally, & Financially NOT Ready For Another Baby Yet!! Please Help Me I Have No Money Right Now & Need At least A Test! But Would A Test Even Give An Accurate Positive Or Negative!?
ive had my mirena in since march 2010 and lately ive been feeling very emotionally alot of cravings and weigh gain and also lots of pain but im still getin my period i feel like i look pregnant and everybody keeps askin me are these mirena symptoms or pregnany im soo afraid of havin an etopic pregnancy...watever thats called
I have also had mirena for about 3 years and i have thought i was pregnant a few times. This time seems a little more real because i have not had a periods in 2 months and i feel so bloated and i am having cravings and im thirsty and want to stay in bed all day. I dont know what this thing is doing to us. I want another baby  but i am worried that if i am pregnant that taking this out will hurt the fetus. i had read that somewhere. anyways, i hope we dont see one of those commercials on tv about a class action lawsuit against mirena....
I have have an iud and i think i might be pregnant  because all i do sleep and when i go to eat something i to eat something after 2 bits i dont want it no more and after my period was over i kept spotting
Has any one had negative hpt than go to Dr and prego
hi, ive been having cramps on my right lower part (under my belly) went to the docs today and he gave me 400mg ibuprofen and told me to take them when ever i get pain. ive only been on the coil for 2 months, and the doc gave me the mini pill to stop bleedibg a month ago. my boobs hurt and i do feel sick occasionally. the dov told me that if the pain hadnt gone after a week i shoild have a pregnancy test. could o be pregnant or could it be the coil and pill coliding? or something else? sorry about nicking your post btw lol

thanks

x
Hello Ladies,

I am a nurse and a fellow Mirena user. I had some information that I thought would relate to some of the posts I've read...

1) I'm sure you all know that the fail rate of Mirena is around 1%. This means that pregnancy is indeed possible, and if you do become pregnant, your baby can survive and be full term. The physician will remove your Mirena immediately to prevent a later miscarriage. There is a 25% chance you will miscarry within 1 week after removal, but there is a 50%-60% chance of miscarriage if you leave it in.

2) The hormones (progesterone etc) that are in Mirena are actually produced by the body during pregnancy.. so if you've had it for a long time these hormones can build up in your system to the  point that you may start having pregnancy-like symptoms.

3) If you are bleeding heavily, you ARE NOT pregnant. I suppose there is a very small chance that you may be having a miscarriage, but if there is more than 5mL of blood loss in 8 hours there is essentially no way for an embryo to survive.

4) As mentioned in previous posts~ side effects of IUD use can be serious and include cysts, Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, Bacterial Vaginosis, and many others. IF YOU DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE ~ ~ Seek immediate medical attention because these conditions, if left untreated, can cause permenant infertility.

I hope this information is helpful! I really look forward to hearing what you guys found out!! Best of luck!!

~Sarah
I hope this information is helpful!
I have had two miscarriages this year. We are actively trying. This month my period came 41 days after the last period, was lighter then normal and lasted less the 24hrs. I can barely function I am so tired. I have started sleeping 10-12hr nights and still need naps. I feel sick here and there and have dizzy spells. I took a home pregnancy test and it was negative. Has anyone else gone through this.
I have had the Mirena for 6yrs. No periods at all after first 4mths of having it. Now iv'e noticed for the past 2 days when i wipe i have brownish blood on the toliet paper. Before this I had hip pain so they xrayed my pelvis as well. My mirena was seen but they also found scattered spots. why would i start spotting after 6yrs of having the mirena.
I have had the mirena iud in since jan of this yr. i got my period for the first 3 months and then it was spotting after that. for the past two months i haven't spotted or had my period, until this past week where i spotted for a day and a bit and then again yesterday. this iud is designed to strip the lining of your uterus, just like how the depo shot does. I was on the depo shot before for 8 yrs. i had very similar symptoms being on the depo as to being on this iud. i get nauseous within the first year, this is normal. and my breasts were sore for a week as well. this is normal as well. the iud is a hormone, just like the depo, and it can cause your body to feel pregnant or have similar symptoms to pregnancy especially when this hormone is designed to thin the lining of your uterus. you may experience some symptoms.  if your spotting a darker colour it usually means its the end of your period, which if you are spotting with the iud and its spotting darker it means there isn't much left of your uterus lining to thin, and that its almost done. sometimes our bodies try to naturally thickin the walls of the uterus, and when that happens we will spot or bleed a bit cause the iud's job is to thin the lining of our uterus so if an egg does attach it wont hold. in most cases of women being on this iud, end up not getting a period at all. when that happens that means there are no eggs being produced. so you cannot get pregnant if you are not producing eggs. if we get a period, then we are producing eggs. i hope this has helped some of your concerns. if any of you do experience constant pain or constant bleeding or spotting, then i would advise you to go see a doctor.
I have had the Mirena for 2 years now. I have had a normal period since I had it inserted. Except for 2 times last year but of course it came the following month. This month I guess I got my period I had all the symptoms that I get when I get it except there was very very light blood and maybe one day of bleeding. I usually cramp a day before my period shows up and this time I cramped and nothing. I just thought that my period was vanishing but lately I've been feeling nauseas and I have had headaches like everyday. I have been craving sweets which is odd because I'm not into sweets. I have been super tired, emotional and bitchier!! I have had 2 dreams where I have taken a HPT and they both came out POSITIVE!!! I have thrown up twice already but I didnt think too much of it. My boobs have been kinda itchy and so has my belly. Yesterday I was cooking and I started having some cramping or contraction feeling sensations. I was nauseas all day and I had thrown up the night before. My friends are telling that I should go get myself checked out but I dont want to sound or look like an idiot if Im not. I have been looking for answers online to see if this is normal or not. I have read posts where women have said that they have gotten pregnant with Mirena. My period is due next week and if it doesnt show its ugly face Im taking a hpt. I just hope that I'm just tripping. Lets see what happens but I also wanted to know if anybody else has had dreams of positive hpt?
MAYBE THIS WILL HELP, MAYBE NOT..??

I've only had my Mirena for about a month.  I'm 34 and have 3 kids.  I've had a period (aside from the normal bleeding from the Mirena) cramping, but all in all I have felt fine.  Although, I've got similar symptoms as a lot of you right now.  It started with acne, then weight gain, an increase in my appetite, bigger looking belly (even when I don't eat) and then when the bleeding stopped I've had tremendous yellowish discharge with an unpleasant odor, I've been extremely tired (overly), I have VERY tender/painful breasts, and just yesterday have started getting very dizzy.  All this after 1 month of having the 5 yr IUD?  Seems like normal symptoms to me when you consider: 1)  introducing a pregnancy hormone to your system, and 2) inserting a foreign object invasively, so I honestly don't think I'm pregnant.  Although for some of you, after reading one womans post about "actually being able to get pregnant, but the IUD preventing the egg from attaching to your uterine wall so the baby dies.." I believe that some of you may infact have been pregnant.  BUT, after reading the nurses post, about "the hormone in the Mirena is the same hormone your body produces when you're pregnant and may make your body have pregnant-like symptoms.." it seems very likely that your body just 'thinks' it's pregnant and is just having pregnancy symptoms due to that and you are NOT infact pregnant.  Either way, always better to be safe than sorry.  So if you can't be satisfied with all your internet research, see your doctor, get a blood test, remove the IUD, whatever makes you feel better because no one should spend their lives feeling like crap.  I for one, am okay for now, but again, it's only been a month, and only time will tell for me.  Good luck to you ladies, and listen to your bodies, they know more than you!!  =)
Good Afternoon ladies. Thank you for sharing as I badly needed some emotional support with this! I got the IUD put in Feb 2008 at 140lbs. Gained 15 lbs in 4 months, cramped and had prego symptons for another 6 months, all hpts came back negative.  I Went to GYN again and she said IUD was imbedded in uterus and ultrasound verified large cysts on both ovaries. NP removed IUD (ouch) and I opted not have another at that time. Cysts went away, no more headaches, only bled A LOT for about 5 weeks, then spotted for next 5 months.  NP talked me back into IUD to stop spotting, reassured me it would be different 2nd time around and sympton wouldn't stay around as long this time around.  NP was right, symptons were different.....WORSE!

I have steadily gained weight every month, and consistently have all of the same symptons all of you have stated. I have taken numerous HPTs--too many to count--All negative, but I know I have had 2 miscarriages w/in the past 2 yrs. I went from a size 6 to size 14/16. I now weight 192lbs, I no longer have a waist line and my breasts....ugh. I had a breast reduction ( went from 36-i to 36 dd). After surgery, Every month, just like my waist line, my breasts GREW as well. stretching the scars on my breasts. I am now a 38-e. I look like I am wearing a fat suit.  I have severe prego symptons and have sprouted a thick, black beard under my chin and on the front of my throat.  I now have stretch marks on my tummy and have itchy, tight, bloated abdominals. My PCM put me on meds for both anxiety and depression. All blood tests came back negative (thyroid, menopause, ect) I go to accupuncture weekly for relief of back and joint pains. I also clench my jaws at night and throught out the day, causing my bottom row of teeth to throb and stay sore. I can see everyone here is experiencing similar attacks on their body.

i look and feel like a completely different person. We have 2 daughters, and the most I ever weighed--even while pregnant--was 162. I use to be athletic, upbeat and full of vitality. Now, I dont want to leave the house. Friends/people that havent seen me in awhile gasp when they look at me. I feel like I need to wear a sign that says: "help me, I'm trapped inside this body and I cant get out!"  I'm calling the dr tomorrow, this toxic thing has got to be taken out of me. I'll keep you all posted on how I feel afterwards. Thank you ladies so much for sharing!
I've had my Mirena a little shy of 5 years. I started out not having a period. A year ago I started having one again. Last month around the 2nd I had a lighter than usual period. This month I have been nauseous off and on with no period yet. Ideas?! Could I b pg? Also, strings r still n place.
Thanks for the info.  I've hade my iud for 3 years with no bleeding (maybe only spotting twice a year). And recently have had ALL pregnancy symptom possible.  Did 3 home preg test and all negative, but still worried I might be preg.  What is the percentage rate of preg test result with iud's?  Will be seeing a Dr. Next week and will request a blood test just to make sure...again thank you
I'm having the same symptoms as you, and I've gained almost 10lbs and I never gain weight. I got my mirena put in feb 2010, and never had problems with it until aug. of this year. I was having 2 periods a month and bled 17 days out of the 30 that was in sept, and now I'm not bleeding at all. I'm always tired, my lower back kills, I have atleast one migriane a day, my breasts are so sore and firm, I look pregnant and I can't stop eating. Also I am having UTI's like there's no tomorrow, and I had a spot of bright red blood last night. I took 2 pregnancy testa within a day of each others and they both said not pregnant. I need some answers.
I have had my IUD in for just over 2 yrs, I have 2 beautiful girls, however both my pregnancy's with them both were completely different, and were not with using any type of birth control, however lately I have had the odd cramping, loss of my period( which was regular up until 2 months ago) I have had severe tenderness with my nipples not so much my whole breasts, and the mood swings well they have been killer. Although my fiance and i have talked about having a child together, we are in a little fear that if I am pregnant on an IUD there are many symptoms that are not best for baby or mom, I haven't taken a test yet cause like many others, don't think it will work due to the hormone fluctuation. However we are at a stand still until we see my Dr cause it might be too late to abort for health reasons or to have a safe pregnancy after the IUD is removed, any help on what we should do or even a little advice is well needed in our situation....thank you for listening....
Melissa....
I had my iud in for 1 year and my periods are heavy sometimes and changed during the day most often. Sometimes i feel tired,wanna eat and drink more,lack of energy. I have an almost 2 year old and not ready for another baby. I feel better that im not alone in this at all. Sometimes my breasts are tender and feel nausea sometimes but when i take a prego test its negative. Im gonna have it removed in the next 2 months and has anyones iud dislocated? My iud isnt in the right spot and i dont know if im at risk for getting pregnant. Can someone help me? Thank you.
I feel pretty much what you were feeling....but I had the Morena IUD put in me in JULY...(with a negative pregnancy test via urine) my doc routinely check for pregnancy prior to administering the IUD...anyway...Its now Oct, and I have started feeling fluttering in my belly...(having been pregnant twice, prior to this, and having two beautiful children....I KNOW what Fluttering feels like....could I have been pregnant shortly before I got the Morena in??  Could I be that 1% of women that still get pregnant with the Morena IUD??   Btw, Since I had the iud put in me, I have had a full "first-day" period-like bleeding...yes bleeding for 3 months straight!!!  I have called my doc numerous times, requesting for her to check it out....she is adament that MOST women feel this way few months in to using the Morena.....YES, but, MOST women  DONT BLEED AT ALL during the use of Morena....I HAVE BEEN BLEEDING LIKE CRAZY! Needless to say, I have an appointment with her on Monday to remove the IUD, I really dont think its suiting me....and NO it will not get better for me...so I just want it out!!  

BobbyCatty, were you pregnant with your Morena, and if yes, did you have a healthy pregnancy, and what was the doc's reason for this happening...especially since you trusted her that you would be baby free for up to 5 yrs!!

Has anyone found out they were pregnant from all these symptoms....What got me is I was at the WIC office and these twins started crying and my boobs started hurting...funny....but its not...? I took a at home test and it came out negative. Havent went to the doctor cause my husband doesnt take this serious enough...or he really doesnt understand i guess would be the term for it! Just seeing what everyone else thinks? I have had a lot more symptoms basically dont wanna eat what i cook at night the smell makes me sick but i dont have a problem eating during the day...i dunno small stuff like that>? What do you think?
How due you know of the coper iud moves?
yes i am starting to feel like that my boob's the vomiting and so tired wanna eat every thing but nothing is good dizzy no yes i am scared i have the iud too i don't wanna be pregnant my tummy feel's tighter and some times not. i am moody too but sometimes not i had a period to and i usually  don't have periods after i started bleeding my symptoms started and it is blowing my mind.
i havr had mine since april off this year and om halloween i found out that my iud had come out but was still there i still felt my strings. i bleed and spotted all of oct and still about the same now but im starting to freak out a bit because i havr been slightly cramping and my breasts feel heavy and hurt but ive taken a pregnancy teat and it was negative. what should i do?
Same thing has happened to me! for months since i last had sex...Now im freaking out because i am scared i am pregnant and tooken a test but it's negative could it just be the birth control?? Any advice would help please!!
I have had the Mirena for almost a year now. My butt and boobs have gotton so much bigger and i'm hungery all the time! My husband says I look pregant. What should i do?? I have taken 2 urine pregnancy test but they both came back negative! I'm so scared. I have a daughter who is a yr and a half and im going to college I cant have a baby right now :( What do I do? :(
I am 20 years old I have the copper IUD I have all these symptoms but lately my sickness is getting worse the doctors have put me on prochlorperazine to help but it's not anymore .... To top it all off my sister said I look as if I'm in the first stages of pregnancy .... But lo and behold a negative pregnancy test .... I need to know what's going on I'm just worried I am currently unemployed and I can't be pregnant
I am currently going through the same issues as all of you ladies, I have had Mirena for almost 3 years now and have gained i swear a backstreet boy, it is very embarrassing since i am simply not the same person as i once was. I have turned into a beast and constantly get angry, floods of depression, and just recently started to have sore breasts. Since i am extremely afraid of getting pregnant again i always keep a constant supply of HPT in my medicine cabinet. I took 3, one week apart from each other since i had unprotected sex with my husband (normally we always use condoms) and they have all been negative. After reading so many forums the past couple of days it seems hundreds if not thousands of women are in  our shoes. I have found the same symptoms, and feels from all of them. I cannot conform or deny if any of you are or will get pregnant from Mirena, however these pains and feelings seem to be a common and maybe now i can have peace of mind and i hope you all can too!
I had my youngest in Jan 2011 my 10yr iud wuz placed @ the end of April. My cycle wuz fine but after having sex in July the only time since my baby was born thingz started changing. I felt nauseous all the time..my period wuz 5 days but since Sept. it went to 3 days. I cant lay on my stomach. Sometimes I feel pregnant but the test says negative.
I have taken a pregnancy test this morning still says negative so maybe I'm not preggers :) just gonna try and loose my little "bump" I seem to have gained and get on with my life cause it really doesn't seem worth it to keep worrying about this it's driving me nuts ...... If in a couple of months time I get a bigger bump then I will worry but for now I'm not ... Hope every one else gets the answers their looking for
OK so reading all these posts which took a while, i understand everyones delimia if you look at sarahs post she can tell you what is going on, the best thing to do is get a blood test if you are that worried, I myself have had the 10 year minera plane and i am on my 2 1/2 mark, I too feel these same symptoms, i understand the frustration and emotions going through you. I have taken 8 tests 6 at home and 2 in the drs, 4 came back positive, and 4 negitive, I have had a normal period my entire life except when i was pregnat. I am a mother of 2 so i know the symptoms and took immidiate action. My periods have always been on the 5th of every month at 8 am last six days and ont the 7th end then start again on the 8th then finish completely, extreme heavy ok, this time around it was on the 13th or 15th and very light like super non existance, been dizzy, breast pains, nausia, hightened smell and taste the normal preggers situation.

i went to get an ultrasound and it showed that my IUD actually moved and is now misplaced, I am having to remove it tomarrow, but they stated due to this fact there is a high possability of me actually being pregnant since it is not positioned correctly. My advise to all of you is dont be afraid to ask your doctor for a ultrasound to see if your IUD is still in place, check for the cysts and do a blood test. Dont look to deep into it or you will go stir crazy.

But i will come back and let you know all the results i get because just being left hanging on the cliff isnt mush help with this type of question.
I had my Mirena placed August of this year (2011), and was recently experiencing symptoms akin to pregnancy (everything I had with my son back in '09) I called up my Doctor and described my symptoms; tenderness, nausea, vertigo, "fluttering", in addition to a period that lasted almost a month! He wanted me to come in, I scheduled an appointment. My urine pregnancy test was negative. My strings were visible. BUT, a quick ultrasound sound showed that my IUD had turned itself sideways! My doctor ended up removing that implant and replacing it. All of my symptoms STOPPED that same day! He also said the symptoms are a reaction to the hormones in the implant.

If you're having these symptoms, call your doctor and describe them, they may want you to come in. Don't act like you "KNOW" you're pregnant. I was fairly sure myself and I was wrong. But if something feels "off" there's a pretty good chance that something isn't quite up to snuff. Don't waste time looking this stuff up on the internet, you could end up with a perforated uterus or something much worse. Bite the bullet and CALL YOUR DOCTOR!
I got the mirena put in about 3 years ago after my second son. Since then I only get my period a few times a year. So every few months i get nervous and take a test just in case..lol silly I know but here recently I noticed my stomach getting bigger and it looks like I have a baby bump. Before this i lost some weight and within 2 weeks my stomach has gotten bigger. When I'm laying down I swear i can feel something kicking me. So I took a test and it came out negative. So I thought I was just being crazy. I now can not find my strings. I took 4 more tests and all were negative. I don't know if this is just all in my head. I read through a few comments and so far I didnt read about anyone getting preg on the mirena. I'm gonna have a blood test done because after my husband and I were intimate I had horrible cramps that brought me to the ground. I had to lay in bed for about 20 minutes until they weren't as bad and after I got up they still lasted for another half hour. I have a few symptoms but it could just be the hormones...but why am i feeling kicking! If my strings moved could I get pregnant???
hi, ive read so many post now i really dont know what to think!!! i had the merina put in in (2008 june) - it was fine no probs, now (2011 dec) ive been feeling extra tired my belly is hard & feels like you do when your around 3mnts preg i dont over eat i even started to work out around 4 times a week about 6months ago( hard workouts 1hrs worth each time) i have been told that i look preg!!  im 33yrs n a size 10-12 but my clothes are feeling tight!! my boobs are a little tender n ive been getting bloody heartburn of a night time i also had very thick hair before i had the merina but have gone a little fine at the sides i did go the doc about that but she said its through having kids but ive now read the coil causes this too im considering having the coil removed but im not sure of what to have in its place..........any ideas ladies...im not imagining these symptoms they are real ive done a pregnancy test its neg im off to see doc 2moz i dont like having these probs
LI have a copper iud don't know the name. I had it since December. I been havin realli sharp pains in my lower abdominal where my iud is I Gorbachev sysit on my overies. I bleed when im on my monthly give like somebody shot me took a PG test came back net and then did an ultra sound. If you have a tubal pregnancy can it show up on a ultra sound and my boobs are leaking milk.. help please
Yes i am the same way right now. I Take a test and it comes back Negative. I don't understand why i feel the way i do my self. All my pants are tight and i have gained 8 pounds in like a month or less.  
I'm 41 1/2 years old in the middle of a divorce and I'm experiencing pregnancy symptoms.  I got Mirena in March and only had one period in April and haven't had a period since.  It's been great.  I loved it until I started reading that 1 in 1000 women can get pregnant on the Mirena-especially in the first year!  I have a regular appointment the first week in January.  But should I wait to see a doctor??  I work out really hard so maybe that's why my breasts are tender and have fluctuated in weight by only about 5ive pounds but my eating has also been a little crazy b/c of stress over the divorce.  So I don't know what to think.  Has anyone who has been pregnant with a Mirena ever gotten a positive pregnancy test?  
hey i am going thr the exact same thing as you are...ive taken multiple tests one said positive the rest negative. i went to the dr and it was negative but here i am bellly gettting bigger baby or bloated idk....... ***@****    please email me
Hi I am 27 and they call me becky u no after reading this comment I am realising we all got similar simptoms with the boobs and periods I believe its someting to do witht the. This type of iud and we are thinking we are pregnant. But it would be good to get blood test to be on the save side
Idk what to do .. I am having severe back pain I just had my daughter in august.. Failed birth control .the iud was put in a couple months ago and i think i feel movements my side is in a lot of pain an there also pain  on the left side by my pelvic ... I cant find any solid info
yeah I tested negative as well
i have had my iud in for about 3 yrs now, but im scared becuz ii feel like im pregnant again, ii always feel weak back pains, iv gained alot of waeght, ii wanna eat more then i usally doo.. some days ii have the worst dizzyness ever somedays i dnt, ii get movements in my tummy like if im pregnant, it comes n goes soo idk wat to do
Okay I'm having unexplained bleeding & after sex too. I feel nausea, & kinda cranky too. Iv'e also noticed my nipples are darker than usual. Iv'e also experienced mild back pain. I have no idea what to do. I'm beyond scared. I told my boyfriend also. Were both nervous & don't know what to do & the more I research the more terrified I get someone please help me!!
Hi I have been on-the-job mirena iud for the last four and a half years MT periods never stopped and now im bloating in my stomach and it leans more to one side I swear I fell light movement in my stomach my test all say negative. I dont know what to think
I would like to know if you were able to have a healthy baby with a copper iud. I am showing signs of pregnancy and over two weeks late on my period. Please let me know your symptoms and the process the Dr. may have had with you to ensure a safe pregnancy. Thanks, tammy  
im having the same issues but im 4 years in .... were you pregnant? im scared i am :(
please let me know if you see doctor i dont have insurance and i fear i am :(
was the no heart beat in relation to the iud?
I've had the mirena IUD for almost 2 years now and I haven't really had a menstrual cycle since. I have had ovarian cysts form and rupture numerous times and I do not believe that is what's causing me to have these symptoms. Over the last 2 weeks I have nausea come and go through out the day, I feel extremely tired all the time, I cannot get full ( I eat until I'm full and within a half an hour I'm hungry again, I have frequent urination, my nails are growing pretty fast and I feel like they're unbreakable and I am experiencing breast tenderness. I do not believe I am pregnant, anyone have an other suggestions that ovarian cysts??
hi all i have read all your comments regarding the mirena!!! I have had mine in for 21months, it was absolute agony getting it in althou they say its easier if you have children well i have 4 healthy babies and it was soo painful !! The 1st few months i had spotting on and off, then havent had anything until sept 2011, i have started to have a period each month novembers was quite heavy and very red, then dec lasted only a few dayss and was just like brown spotting!! went this week to have it removed as me and my hubby would like one more baby my gp cant find the strings so she has referred me to gynae which will be a few weeks wait to have an ultrasound, i also went too family planning to get them to check as i now the threads can curl up but she cant find them either!! i had sex around my fertile time and im panicking incase im pregnant with this thing still inside as i dont want i miscarriage i have had 2 before!! i feel sick , bloated, headache tingly boobs and tired is it this horrible mirena tricking my body or could i actually be preggers!! i so cant wait till my appointment comes through to get this out never again will i get this in or recommend it to anyone.  Any advice would be great thank you. :-)
hey i have tummy tight and i have been having cravings feeling sick went to the doctor about a couple of weeks ago and had a test it was negtive but getting pregrecy sympoyes still
i have the some thing but i feel moving in my belly and i don't know if I'm prego or if its just gas or whatever i need help and all my test is negative
i have had the same thing i feel movement and i dont know what to do please post whet they said so i will know what to do
Hi, I have the same exact situation / question as you.  Did you ever get a response? I've had my Mirena in for 7 years now.   I love not getting periods, but hate the side effects:  #1: weight gain! I was always thin like mentioned; but after Mirena, my weight climbed so fast, I've not been able to get it back down after all these years! Breasts are tender, mood swings, etc..I also took a pregnancy test once as I was sure I was, but negative. Now my husband is "fixed" so no longer worry about that. I just want to know if I should get it removed, or if  "the worse is over" for symptoms and I can keep enjoying  no periods.
Just want to let you know, you're not alone...

I had my IUD put in back in July. After the initial bleeding I haven't had a period. Then, back in October I get a random day of spotting followed by - you guessed it - no further periods. (Yay, no periods.) But then in December I start getting all the pregnancy symptoms I had with my first baby. I chalked it up to side effects of Mirena - right?  

Well, about three weeks after I get the first symptoms I get these freaky movements. Again, I chalked it up to gas or some weird abdominal spasm. No biggie.  But the movements have been persistent for the last month and it's making me worry. And I mean like really freak out.

Does anyone have a clue as to what it could be? I mean, my gas isn't that bad to have lasted a month straight...
For those of you who don't believe that it's statistically possible to be pregnant because of an IUD, here's the flat mathamatical statistical proof that there is a possibility.

I live in a city with a population of about 90,000.
Of those people about 45,270 are women. (50.3%)
Of those women about 27,162 are of breeding age. (60.5%)
Of these women about 8,148 use an IUD. (about a third)
Now, if the ratio is about 7 out of 1,000 women using an IUD get pregnant that means that roughly 57 women in my home town have a likelihood of getting pregnant with the IUD still in place.

How's that for scary?!
Just found that out too and totally agree with you!  Had mine removed last week and now feel sick to my stomach every morning, very tired and hungry all the time.
I have had my last period in december last
Last year...
ive missed my period in jan and still haven't gotten my period..
I did a pregnancy test in jan but had a negative result...
my tummy is quiet tight and
has grown abit and I experience a few cramps now and then...
what could it be?
I am in the same boat, I have had the Minera IUD for 4 years come May, PP and the last 3 weeks my breast have my super sore, tired, crampy feeling in my lower stomach, and vomitting from time to time. I took 3 pregnancy tests and they all say negative. My breasts today are the sorest they have ever been. My best friend who I live with just found out she is pregnant, maybe sympathy pregnancy... lol But I am really scared that I am, and the doctors where I live treat you like a idiot if you go to them to find out if you are. :S
Oh my gosh! mine too. I live in the birth capitol of the world and the doctors just give you this look of "you seriously don't know?" when you go in for a test! It really ticks me off and is half the reason why I haven't gone in to get tested yet...
I have the IUD in for almost 2 yrs n I have been having cramps in my stoamch for 3 days n none stop head aches. I feel like I want to be sick all day for 3 days the same feeling when I was pg w/ my 2 kids. I'm scared n wondering can you get pg w/ the IUD? What are the systumes n i took 2 pg n they were ng. What does this sound like?
I have had symptoms of being pregnant for weeks now. And I have been on the mirena for almost 3 years. Never did I have them before. So I bought and took 2 pregnancy tests this past weekend. One came up Positive, one came up negative. I went to the doctor today, and sure enough I actually am pregnant, about 8 1/2 weeks. So it can happen! They say like 1 in 100. So now I need to get the mirena taken out asap because it has a 50-60% misscarriage rate if left in. 20% chance if taken out. Now I'm just praying my baby will be ok! Never again will I trust the IUD.
i have had my mirena in since September last year. My periods have never slowed down, in fact I get them so irregularly still. Sometimes I get them three days after my last periods, they are so heavy and they last longer. I am really concerned about having an IUD. Today I noticed my strings are sitting just inside, I can put my fingers in just past my nail and i feel the strings. I have been feeling more tired than usual. I smoke, and I have been pregnant once before and had to have a termination due to being too young and not being able to support the baby financially. I became of aware of being pregnant due to gagging after having a cigarette. This happened to me today, and a couple of times over the last few weeks. I also get really bad cramping a lot of the time as well.
Am really worried. Has anyone else had really irregular periods for so many months?
Hi ladies..I like you have Mirena...I had my daughter in Spetember and had the IUD placed at the end of October. First few periods were very light and then in January it almost seemed to stop.  I was rather concerned because I was not feeling like myself...I was feeling tired sick to my tummy and a terrible back ache. So I decided to bite the bullet and call the doctor and go in. When I explained that I was concerned that I could possibly be pregnant he assured me that everything was fine. Even did I urine test in the office just to be sure. However I was not satisfied with that so I asked to have an ultrasound before I left. And I was more than relieved when I saw my IUD perfectly in place. HOWEVER I was informed that I have and extremely large cyst on my ovary and that is most likely the cause of my pain.

**** IMPORTANT IUD INFO*******

My doctor did tell me that the "pregnancy symptoms" I was having is a side effect of the IUD itself. The IUD contains the same hormones that you have while you are pregnant...over time they can begin to effect your body and cause these "symptoms" to araise. No method of BC is totally efffective unless you are not having sex ...thats what my mom always used to tell me :)

I know its hard ladies because are scared and we are the caregivers for these wonderful babies in our lives now or in our future. But just try to breathe and tell yourself if its properly placed I  have nothing to worry about. Some women opt for the copper IUD because that way they still have a period so they feel more relieved. Its a personal choice. I hope this helped someone on here :)
what was your outcome? I feel the same way and just called my Dr demanding an ultra sound- I can't be pregnant but maybe I have a cyst?

I feel like I'm going to die! Everything seems off
Hi Guys ...

I have had mirena now for about 3 years .. i did a test on wednesday and it was negative so i put it in my bag an thought nothing of it ... on emptyin my bag 2 days later i found test an it was postive (very faint) i did a digital test and that said not pregnant .. i feel bloated etc all th enormal pregnancy symtoms (symptoms) .. i dont know what to do ? my friend did 4 tests with docs which was all negative until a bloo dtest confirmed she was and on scanning her she was  4 months. i had my period last month but its never enough even to put a san towel on .. only ever when i wipe my self and its only every brown manky stuff lol ( Sorry) any advice would be much appreciated .. thank you

vicki
any advise guys ??
I am feeling the same way and my man wants another. The doctor told me there was no way i could be prego but i am feeling like i am. what do i do.
I have had the IUD this time for 2 years. I had one about 5 years ago but it became dislodged into my uterus walls and I had to have surgery to have it removed. Anyways, I have the same exact period problems as you, I have the same symptoms as well. I have taken so many prego tests in the last 2 years its ridiculous. I do not have insurance and have not seen a doctor but once in the last 2 years. My symptoms were so bad that I started to believe I was depressed and asked to be put on depression medication... however that did not work either. i am thinking about getting this damn thing taken out of me. I hate BC and all the stupid hormones...however I DO NOT want anymore children right now....lol. IDK....I see so many women complain about this IUD...I'm not sure if its worth it. Sorry ....no advice...just complaining with you ;)
I've had many of the same symptoms that several people listed, including the fact that I've taking several negative pregnant test and feeling a "fluttery" movement.  My general doc said that could be from a cyst.  I have a dull pain that I believe is where the cervix is.  I have lost 47 pounds over the past several months and previously I could not feel the strings (neither could my husband) and at all of my well woman exams since having it put it in Nov 2008 my OB could not find the strings so she did and in office ultrasound and said it was in place correctly.  Well, I was having that pain feeling a few weeks ago and I checked and low and behold I could feel the strings.  My friend said, it's probably from losing weight, but now I have this darn, dull pain that won't stop.  I don't want to have sex because it's uncomfortable.  Prego test are negative.  I have two children, I was very sick with one and fine with the other...I don't have the "same" pregnancy symptoms.  My husband says I should go to the doctor, but my stepmom thinks I'm being ridiculous...she thinks the pregnancy test would say it's positive if it's positive and I've been taking them over the course of the last several months.  I dunno...I'm about ready to have this thing removed.  OOOOH...one more thing.  I don't have periods....and once about every 9 or 10 months I have a "what was the point" period!
I've had a marena from last year April about and never really felt comfortable with it.  Last week started feeling badly bloated and very uncomfortable. Made appointment to see the Gynie and went today.  Found out that my Marena has moved litteraly in my stomach.  I now need to get 'n opp done to get it removed.  I would suggest anyone that has a marena and if you are feeling uncomfortable in any way to get it checked out.  It can be that yours has moved.  Thought i'd just let everyone out there know.
I got my mirena Iud in September so iv only had it for about 4 months but I have been having pregnancy symptoms as well I took 3 tests 2 came out invalid and 1 positive but the doctor's came out negative I can't feel the string either and have been naucious as well as gaining weight tired stressed and cramping every now and then also my ribs hurt just like when i had my daughter
I was wondering how many people have been pregnant while using mirena. But getting negative tests for quite some time. I have been tired. Tender breasts.  Feeling movement in my belly. I have 2 kids already. If it weren't for the negative tests I would swear I was like 4 months pregnant.  Ugh. I'm just wondering if the mirena could cause false positive.
Hi Ive been on the merina for almost 3 years and I havent had a period since the first two months but the last two months Ive felt like im pregnant sick right pain but im 37 already have kids and grandkids also they say it could be ectopic ive been ascared to find out
Hi, none of you ladies are not alone !!!

I have had my Mirena since July of 2011, I am currently feeling every pregnancy symptom in the BOOK , Extreme nausea, My breast are very tender,Dizziness,tiredness, &  I sometimes feel "fluttering"or maybe its gas who knows,Mood swings(my poor boyfriend thinks I'm Bi-Polar ),I made a doctors appt . and I am testing to see if I am Pregnant and if not this is coming OUT !!!!!!! I don't recommend this birth control at ALL...I will let you all know either way :) .

I can attest to these symptoms, and with a few calls, and appointments, with attorneys, dr appts and all, these ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS of the "wonderful" (yes that's complete sarcasm) Mirena.

You're not crazy and most of you probably are not pregnant. It's side effects of the stupid IUD. I can't wait to get mine OUT.
I have an IUD.  Got it June 2010.  However now I am having symptons of contractions, my breast sore before period and after, weird cravings, mood swings, fatigue, morning sickness, nausea... I took a pregnancy test it was negative.  I wanna go to the doctor but its to expensive to go and its just a side effect? Please help if anyone has these same feelings?
The symptoms will remain for a while even after you get it taken out. I understand that going to the doctor is too expensive. It could take YEARS, yes years, before the symptoms are completely gone.

I know all of this because of my experience, all the doctors and such I have spoken with AND my own medical certificate.
I already have a 2yr old and aren't ready for another and thats why i got this darn thing.... But lately i have been feeling funny and having cravings and other prego feelings!!! Maybe its just I hope im not cause we are 100% NOT ready for more kids right now.... So its time to try all the tests and if im not then im getting on a different birthcontrol ASAP!!!!
I got the Mirena IUD in Feb 08 after my second child, in dec 08 i found out i was pregnant and when I went to have an ultrasound to check in the IUD could be taken out to have a safe pregnancy it was no where to be found. I was told that my body must have rejected the IUD and it had fallen out without my knowledge.
Today I was sent to get an abdominal xray as i'm having other stomach issues and was surprised to see my IUD in my stomach. It had left my uterus and has entered my stomach.
I am now extremely worried as to whether this is causing all my other stomach problems? Has anyone heard of this before?
I have had the Mirena IUD for about 5 months and lately I have had pregnancy symptoms. I do spot randomly and have the whole time it's been in place, after reading all the posts on here I don't feel as crazy but I agree this is torture. My husband and I would like to have another child in the near future and now I'm just scared that I'm going to get pregnant with the IUD and loose the baby. I think I'd rather take my chances without it.
Im 26 and ive had the copper iud for about 4 yrs and ive always gotten my period every month very heavy and this month ive only been spotting which is weird for me! What do u guys could i be pregnant?
I thought I was going crazy. I have been having symptoms of pregnancy the last couple months or so. I've had my iud (mirena) for almost 3 years. I have never gotten a period just light spotting here and there but for the last couple months I've been experiencing tender breasts, nausea, loss of appetite, fatigue, bloating, swollen feet, weird movements in my stomach, back pain, nesting, and I can smell everything. I took a test last night it came out negative but it was a very faint line so I don't know if I should trust it. I love my iud but I don't know if I should have it removed because of these symptoms. I don't have medical insurance so I don't know what I should do and not many people have posted their results. I may make an appointment with planned parenthood. If I do I'll let you know the results. Thank you to everyone who posted on here its nice to know I'm not alone
I've had the Merena IUD in for 3 years. I havent had a period the whole time, as that is normal with this IUD.  The Merena IUD has hormones in it. THerefore You will feel pregnancy symptoms at times, such as breast tenderness, moodiness, tiredness, etc.   If you have Cramping, it may be a cyst.  I had a large cyst from the hormones in the IUD who's symptoms were similar to pregnancy symptoms. Once the cyst burst, I had bleeding for about 3 days.  It ***** to feel imbalanced hormonally, to feel pregnant every 3 months or so, but I love the security of it, the lack of periods, and my skin has never looked better.    
I have had my iud for like 2 years and just recently I have been having really wierd pains in my stomach and been going pee more frequently then usual. I know a few people who have got pregnant while using mirena. I haven't gotten my period for a while . I'm kindda scared !
I have had the mirena for 4 years, I have always, always had a period, until about a month ago. I am wondering if it is normal to have your periods stop so late in the implantation, or whether or not there is a serious chance that I am pregnant? Has anyone else had this happen to them?
I am also having all symptoms of pregnancy with mirena. I had it switched 2 years ago from the copper t because of severe bleeding that didn't stop after 3 months.ive loved the mirena up until now . I am constantly nauseous , can't eat anything. Even the smell of food makes me sick. Migrains,My breasts are extremely sore and leaking as if I'm pregnant, I'm always tired and have only lightly spotted twice in two months, for only one day a month. I just took a pregnancy test, looks to be invalid, two lines but one is in the wrong place! I have a few health factors that could possibly be contributing to my symptoms, 1- I have pcos, and 2- hypothyroid . But both have been under control since having my last child 2years ago. Symptoms just don't add up to me. I don't do well with hormones , and mirena has been great for me until now if that's what's causing theses issues. I'm not ready to tie my tubes and other bc doesnt agree with my body.any advice?
i have had mirena in for a little over a year nvr have  had a period since i have had it and now i am getting sick, breasts are sore back pain and certain smells make me want to vomit i get lightheaded and dizzy and pelvic pain this has all been going on for a month or so..i have taken a home pregnancy test and comes back neg...i am wondering if i actually could be pregnant or something worse...help
I know exactly how you feel on that one. I haven't had a period I spotted a little once the day that they put the IUD in and it's reaching the 3 year mark here in september and my nipples are tender, i've been experiencing nausea vomiting, weight gain, and all the regular symptoms of pregnancy. I have two girls and my mom  dreamed about babies every time exactly a week before I found out I was pregnant she's my human pregnancy test and she's had the dream a few times and I'm going in Monday for a dr's visit to check and see and then if it is positive I have to see if they can remove the IUD to help protect the baby if I am indeed pregnant. I'm scared and nervous since my husband and I just got married a little under a month ago.
Okay, so it winds up that all that wiggling and squiggling I've been feeling may very well have been a hernia. It also accounts for the nausea, bloatedness and general discomfort.

My previous pregnancy was an emergency c-section, so (like all surgeries) things got shifted around a bit. Hernia. Joy.  Well, questions answered!
Ok I need a little advise. I have had rhe mirena since September. well now its may anf I cant remember having a period since January. Usually when I had my period it was at the end of the month around 28th. Well lately ive had nausea and little weight gain not much.  Well this month,may, I started spotting Monday may 14. I have a 9 1/2 month old daughter. ive taken a pregnancy test but it has come negative. Does any body have any advise?
same here.. Except now I really can feel movement, and my ex thinks I am completely nuts... He will keep saying that until he feels the movement for himself let me tell you that much...
I got the iud at my six week checkup back in 07....so mines nil and void but I have no ins to get it out....no strings either ...doc had to do ultrasound four yrs ago to find out where it went....curious on what can happen now until I get insurance
I have had the iud now for a year and a half and i stop haven a period well i had one for a week and now i am haven signs of being pregnant took a test it came up negative what is going on
I have a question. I have had some symptoms of pregnancy but test comes out negative... What could it be? I usually get my period towards the end of each month but now I got it end of may and beginning of June. It lasted about fees days nd not second week of June im getting discharge that is pink. Pls help!!
I have a iud.. I just had my baby 4months ago I been berastfeeding. I had a period for the first two month then I been spoting. I been feeling dizzy.. lost of sleep.. but at the same time lazy.. I feel like I have to throwup at work  sometime.. I been eating a lot at night.. could I be pregnant..
I am a 26yr old with a 7yr old daughter.  I have had my Mirena IUD inserted into the vaginal area since 2011 because birth control pills stopped working for me and I was very fertile and not able to handle being a single mother of two if that happened. I have had a cycle ever since i've had the IUD. In the beginning i had a cycle for almost 2 weeks! Now it's been for up to 7 days and regularly comes on time. I have an odor during light spotting which ranges from bright red to dark brown/red in color. The month of June I have not had a cycle which usually would of started around the 15th. I feel bloated and I have noticed i've picked up on eating just about anything. I'm super emotional while on the IUD. My partner claims to have had a vesectomy (vasectomy) which means we should not be pregnant! But those are not 100% and neither is not getting pregnant with the Mirena. I'm honestly nervous to get a pregnancy test done as much as I want another child financially this is not the time, either way i'll be disappointed. I think no matter what device the human body is made to reproduce if it wants to fight all the devices and altercations we make for it not to there's still a chance of possiblity. If it's meant to be pregnancy will happen that's what i've learned from all the forums i've read so far. I will check back and update my situation.  Good luck ladies.
hello i was reading your post from 2010 and was wonder what the out come was
im wondering if im pregnant ive had neg pregnancy test...but been on it for almost 3 years and all of a sudden i started to bleed...n a few days agk i felt like i was tearing
If you get pregnant on the IUD do you have to get an abortion? I am realy scared. I don't know who to ask because I am stuck in the states right now and can't go to the doctors.
I too have been having wierd symptoms latly that leads me to belive i may be pregnant....i have had my iud going on 3 yrs now. Recently i have had sore breast, feel sick to my stomach, feel and look bloated, have been having headaches and sharp pains running up and down my sides, im constantly tierd and have been having mood swings. I have taken 3 hpt's in the last month and thay have all read negative but for some reason thats hard for me to believe. Theese are all the same side effects that i had with both of my children. I too like alot of you ladies on here have no insurence so i can not afford to go to the doc and get blood work done, the more i read about pregnancy while having an iud the more stressed i get just knowing what can happen. If there is anyone with actual answers to as why this is going on with so many of us please let us know!!
Hi ALL...
i have had the iud for  yr 1/2 now, i got it after getting pregnant with my 3rd son from the pills. Once i received the merina i wanted it removed because of horrible cramping but the doc gave me the run-around about my body having to get use to it and some of the worries i had was normal. But now i feel pregnant, of course i would know i have had 3 kids... my breast began feeling tender & now just firm, my appetite i believe has increased, i swear i'm feeling movements & my stomach seems rounder to the point were i'm noticing that its becoming harder to fasten my pants. I took an home pregnancy test but it showed negative.. idk if it could be from the hormones of the iud... or if i'm jst tripping and really gaining weight... not that i'm ready for another one (right now) i don't wanna be gaining weight either. I have made my apptmnt to the doc so hopefully i find out what's really going on. Even if i'm not really prego, i'm for sure getting this merina removed. I no longer want to continue to use something that i was uncomfortable with in the first place when i have to still worry about becoming pregnant and if that was to happen the complications a pregnant woman can have with the iud is not worth the risk.
I'm glad I found this site because I thought I was going crazy, Im 32 years old with 2 kids, 12 & 9, and Im on my 9th year with my copper IUD. I have never missed a period in these 9 years, never had prego symptoms and no complications. Ive loved every moment with my IUD, of course until now. The beginning of Oct, I had my papsmear, the doc made me bleed, which never happened before and now after for the past 2 1/2 weeks I have had prego symptoms, nausea, tired, mood swings, mild breast tenderness, and I swear my stomach is a bit firm. I have tooken 2 HPT and both negative. I'm planning to go to the Doc because I'm very concern, if I'm not prego then what is happening, and if I am , did the doc accidently move my IUD??? any one can relate??
Hi, I'm Michelle and I'm 23 years old. I have 2 kids, 4 and 2 yrs old. I got Mirena put in right after I had my 2 year old in June of 2010. Haven't had a period since then. Besides up and down mood swings and weight gain, I haven't had any other side effects.

For a week and a half now I've been feeling:
nauseous all day,
very tired during the day,
can't sleep at night,
sore n sensitive breast n nipples,
lower back pain,
increased libido,
starving sensation after eating 2 hours ago
sensitivity in smells
I'm even convinced I feel flutters in my tummy.

These are about the same symptoms I felt with both pregnancies. I was totally convinced I was pregnant so I bought a pregnancy test Friday and it came out negative. That's when I googled and ended up here last night. I was still convinced I was pregnant, I know my body and it felt just like my last pregnancies.

My husband took me to the ER last night because I had a stomach ache and I was really worried about my "fetus"

They tested my urine and blood and ran a blood count. Both pregnancy test came out negative but my white blood cell count was a bit high so the Dr. assumed I had a problem with my appendix so he ordered a CT Scan.

My appendix was normal but they found a cyst 2 inches big on my ovaries. They convinced me that if I were pregnant the fetus would have showed up on the scan.

So my results - The ovarian cyst gave me pregnancy like symptoms and I maybe a bit psycho lol... Either way, I scheduled an appointment with my OB/GYN to get this IUD out and my husband is setting something up for a Vasectomy.

I was almost convinced I wanted another baby once I thought I was pregnant but now that I'm not, I'm sure I don't want anymore.

I really liked Mirena because of the no menstrual period, but I think anything that messes with you're hormones may drive you MAD!
Wow.. I am another one who is having this same problem as libbee23&&nmcdaniel485&& aswell as you surfermom i have had the Iud(mirena) for about 14 months now had it put in right after I had my son and he's 15 months now, && i have all the same pregnancy symptoms that you guys are having, breast tenderness the cramping the messed up period... Spotting coming in going swollen feet cravings my boobs have gone up 2sizes in the past 2 months my stomach is even starting to get the pregnancy belly bump and I've taken several pregnancy test at home and blood test and then I'll come back negative my doctor keep telling me I'm not pregnant so I'm kind of really concerned and um I don't really know what to do so maybe you girls or the doctor on here could maybe give me some advice from what I could do to find out what's wrong with me... Please im really concerned about my body!!
Im 21 and i have the iud and im always tired lately and feeling sick all the time iv had my iud about 7months something like that.. and the past few weeks iv not been feelin ok i havent done a pregancy test yet and my boyfriend is worried that i could get pregant... i cant feel my strings im not sure what to do... any advice
i still have mine but thats how i feel all the time to
I'm having the same problem. I got my mirena iud in September of 2012 after my 2nd son was born. I haven't had my at in weeks and I finally got it and it was for one day. My boobs hurt my stomach hurts. I felt another heartbeat but my PR keeps saying negative. Idk what I should either
I am 23. I have had my mirena in since june 2012. my period is 2 months late. I went in to the ER and they did a urine and a blood test and I asked them if they were going to do a ultrasound and they said well its up on what the urine and the blood tests are. I told them I have been pregnant before while i had the mirena but i miscarried. Certain foods and the smell of foods make me ill to my stomach. And I have been having back pain. I have been having all the symptoms that I had when I was pregnant with my daughter. She will me 10 months on the 23rd.
Thank you for your information clearly I am in the same situation . I tried the pregnancy test the cheap one it gave me a negative  answer & I went to the clinic too that was the same answer which is negative .But I haven't seen any menstrual period after I put in the IUD.I don't know what is going on later I will see .
I have been expericing some one the same sypthoms your speaking of ive had my iud in for almost 5 years and now all of a sudden all these sypthoms have me extremely worried, the rush of mood swings, mild cramping in the lower adomen region and, the morning sickness is what is really worrying me and i have taken home tests (2) which both have came up - im hoping to get into the clinic here and see whats going on. I have been reading alot on this and it seems to me there are more and more women becoming pregnant or expecering pregnancey sypthoms like this while having the mirina iud, thats scary in some points of view.
Hello... I'm a mother of 2. I have obviously been pregnant before and I'm feeling the same symptoms as if I am now. I've been using the I.U.D Mirena for almost 3 years and it has been great, until....now! I am sooo emotional, my breast and belly are getting bigger, having cravings and am really tired (just like my previous pregnancy's). But there is a problem. I have taken 2 hpt's (both NEGATIVE), So I made a doctor appointment yesterday and did a blood test (again NEGATIVE). I don't understand how and why I am feeling pregnant if the test's are coming out yo be negative? I am hoping my doctor will agree to giving me an ultrasound to confirm if I AM or NOT. This is driving me mentally crazy!!!!! I have read everyone else's post and cant find the answer to my question. PLEASE>>>If there is anyone out there that can just tell me if they have gone through the same thing and found out if they were indeed PREGNANT. I'm just worried because I have also had an e topic pregnancy before and I don't want anything to happen. P.S. I'm also not 100% on wanting anymore babies. So someone please post so I can understand what is going on. Thanks...and good luck to everyone else. *Breona .A.
Thank you for your results.  I am sorry to hear about the results.  But, now have an outcome with the same type of symptoms.  Again, thank you.
omg i thought i was crazy i just know i am pregnant
I'm having a lot of symptoms of pregnancy and I had the mirena put in this march after I lost my baby in December. The past couple of months I've symptoms my breasts are sore and it pains me to even take a shower or put a shirt on. I've also gained weight and my stomach feels weird. I use to eat pickle all the time and drink the juice. Now the smell of it is making me nauseous and not to mention if I eat them I get sick. The smell of pizza makes me sick. If my boyfriend and I even go to his dads I get sick in the car. I can smell smoke when he comes home from work and I'm a smoker too. I took a test but it came out negative. Help.
This is the second Mirena IUD I have had put in, the first time was right after I had my son, the second time I was overseas on my deployment. The only time I have had a menstrual cycle was the few months between having the first taken out and the second one put in. I have recently started spotting which has never happened before and I also have some pregnancy symptoms ..... Is this normal? I have an appointment in a few days to have it removed but I'm still concerned
I had the mirena iud for 5 years, had that one removed and new one inserted in June. On this past  weekend My breast were very sore, hormone headache and all signs pointing to having period. had two days if spotting (light) my sore breast and everything went away, for Sunday then Monday they started back. Has this every happened to anyone? I usually have a few weeks of no period symptoms. Also, I usually have 3-4 days of spotting, not just 2
Just this year I had my mirena put in. It's was also quite painful for me but all went well.

In the last month I have noticed some big changes in my body. Hightened smell, I can't smoke or drink, random weight gain, vivid dreams, pains, sore boobs and my nipples are changing. There's many more symptoms. I'm 25 days late. I've taken 2 tests both negative. Is it possible I'm pregnant and the tests just don't work for me?
Ive been reading different posts on here an im a lil worried.... ive had the mirena in for a 10 months now an at least once or twice a month I cramp for 1 day so bad I can barely walk!I have a period still every month for sometimes a week to 2 weeks majority of the time its just spotting but goes back an forth...Lately ive been having hot flashes,can hardly sleep,no sex drive,no energy,always so tired,odd cravings,nauseas... ive been to the doc quite a few times over the pains ive had with this mirena an he says that everything looks fine....im 22 yrs old have 2 kids an not ready for anymore yet but also dont want it to start menopause.....
Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone have the same symptoms an it turn out to b something bad??
I just got my IUD two weeks ago. I have had bad periods for 25 yrs cramps so bad have to stay in bed take hot baths nothing helps. After talking to my Dr they recommended the IUD saying in most cases you will have little to no period . I do not have OHIP yet in Canada as I am a immigrant so it was the cheaper option $500.00 so Picked up the IUD at my drugstore went to the Dr. I was told it would take 15 mins well 45 mins latter and very painful it was in.The dr kept saying you are so tiny its hard to place at one point she had one side in and said she could not get the other side in had to take it back out I was like  are you kidding me. After it was placed I was given no information on care when to come back what to expect ect. All I was told was I would have cramps and spot for a few days. I had cramps for 5 days and bled for 5 days. I was a bit nervous to have sex when we did it hurt in certain positions. Two days ago I woke up to very soar breast my nipples hurt so bad. So I call my Dr and ask WTH and then was told no way it is the IUD as the hormones are localized and I need to come in for a PG test I started to laugh told her my husband had a vasectomy and had a reversal 8 yrs ago has been tested several times and was told the reversal did not work he has zero sperm count .then said to her we have had un-protective sex for 10 yrs you made me take a pg test before you put this in. Why in this day in age do Drs still treat women like this. You are either pg or its in your head. So I have a dr appt Thursday another pg test waist of money why they sit and deny that the IUD is causing this.I am 2 weeks in and not impressed . My back hurts  my boobs are heavy and hurt and cant sleep. So I started looking up online about this glad to know I am not alone.  I dont know what is worse bad periods or feeling pg .
I  just recently had the same issues, i mean I was having all the pregnancy symptomsand I've had the mirena in for 4 1/2yrs now and never get my period only every spotted luke 3 or 4 t imes tops! ( And very, very light might i add)  so I then took a p regnancy test came back negative, went to the dr.s  and she told me after examining me and taking a urine test that came back negative, that I want pregnant, and my cervix felt normal! I was a little disappointed to tell you the truth becuz my oldest is 10 now and  my youngest is gonna be 5 in February!  And I'm 28, my bf is 30& he doesn't have any kids of his own so we were really upset anyways so that same day i told my Dr. i wanted to get my mirena removed and she asked me if i wanted to do right now and I said yes pls.... i was just so done with the whole iud deal!  And the dr did tell me that the mirena let's off these hormones and can sometimes let off extra ones that
can then cause p regnancy like symptoms!  crazy right

Check out the part about the iud and early stages of menopaus...I'm going through the same thing. Breast are swallon, fatigue, thought I was pregnant numerous times amd all came out negative, hot flashes n cold sweats, gaining weight (I work out and eat same as I ever did) dizzy, run down, depressed, can't think streight half the times cause I'm so tired, stressed more than normal, less patience, lower back pain and numbness to the left leg and tingleing in the toes. I'm going nuts I feel like it. Even at work I wanna just fall over. I went to the dr. Today and they are testing my hormones and thyroid to see what's going on. I wint know for a couple of days but after reading some of the related discussions it hit me! If its early menopaus, I am gonna be very devistaded!! Heart broken. Upset that I will never again be able to have another child. I've had the iud since feb of 2008. Just got a new replacement at the end of september and my body is worse õthan it was with the first one. I have the mirena that has the hormones in it. I've also read today that missing periods are NOT GOOD !!! I would really advise to check out early menopuas with iud and see if this sounds like what you all are going through? ! You are not alone.
I have been experiencing what feels like a kick in my upper stomach area. I have a 10 month old and just had a period but am still lightly bleeding I have had a little bit of cramps the past couple of days and have had cysts also previously
hi, in the same boat as you. Lower back is hurting, swollen/sore breasts. Bad cramping, broke out in acne, bad acne, i have had the skyla iud since june and idk whats going on. I took a test and it came out negative, my period ended 2 weeks ago. help!!!
I had mirena for 5 years and never had a period but I still felt when I ovulated.  this past august I had it taken out because I was at my 5 year mark. i had sex august 27th and on august 28th i had it removed and replaced with paragard. it took the doctor some time to place the paragard in after mirena was taken out.  since then i have had my period (lasting 2-3 days only).  I never went in for my post check up and i have been having pregnancy symptoms since September.  i  have 2 children and know the symptoms , however i have had negative hpts and regular periods every 28 days.  could i be pregnant?
I have had the Mirena IUD for 1 year as of 12/10/13 and had 2 weeks bleeding, 2 weeks of freedeom followed by 6 weeks of bleeding. Dr. said it was just body adjusting to hormones and to give it some time. No bleeding until Aug., Sept., Oct., Nov., (consisted of 2-4 days of light-med flow). Now in December expecting the same thing but had a yearly exam on 12/23 and doc cannot find strings (no surprise I could never either) so scheduled transvaginal u/s on 12/30. Before leaving to go to u/s appt. I had one bright red spot of blood when I wiped followed by a light pinkish tinged thinking I was starting my period. U/S tech said everything in place and I noticed there was some pinkish looking d/c on wand when removed. After this there was nothing more so I thought no more about it but the following week had major pregnancy symptoms and finally called the doctor on 1/7 and they had me take a home pregnancy test that came back faintly positive. Called doctors office and they scheduled me an appointment in a couple of weeks but today I am starting to bleed again and more than likely am having a miscarriage. I scheduled appt. to have this Mirena IUD removed immediately and going back to natural family planning. I just thought that this would be a better alternative while attending nursing school and boy was I wrong. Good luck ladies!!
Did you have any negative home pregnancy test by any chance? I just keep feeling so pregnant and I had mirena before I had my son but I even feel movement sometimes and I've already take 3 test and they all were negative. Sorry to bother you and I wish you luck.
Viewing 201-394 comments: