IUD with pregnancy symptoms, but negative test....HELP???

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Viewing 401 comments:
I know exactly how you feel on that one. I haven't had a period I spotted a little once the day that they put the IUD in and it's reaching the 3 year mark here in september and my nipples are tender, i've been experiencing nausea vomiting, weight gain, and all the regular symptoms of pregnancy. I have two girls and my mom  dreamed about babies every time exactly a week before I found out I was pregnant she's my human pregnancy test and she's had the dream a few times and I'm going in Monday for a dr's visit to check and see and then if it is positive I have to see if they can remove the IUD to help protect the baby if I am indeed pregnant. I'm scared and nervous since my husband and I just got married a little under a month ago.
Okay, so it winds up that all that wiggling and squiggling I've been feeling may very well have been a hernia. It also accounts for the nausea, bloatedness and general discomfort.

My previous pregnancy was an emergency c-section, so (like all surgeries) things got shifted around a bit. Hernia. Joy.  Well, questions answered!
Ok I need a little advise. I have had rhe mirena since September. well now its may anf I cant remember having a period since January. Usually when I had my period it was at the end of the month around 28th. Well lately ive had nausea and little weight gain not much.  Well this month,may, I started spotting Monday may 14. I have a 9 1/2 month old daughter. ive taken a pregnancy test but it has come negative. Does any body have any advise?
same here.. Except now I really can feel movement, and my ex thinks I am completely nuts... He will keep saying that until he feels the movement for himself let me tell you that much...
I got the iud at my six week checkup back in 07....so mines nil and void but I have no ins to get it out....no strings either ...doc had to do ultrasound four yrs ago to find out where it went....curious on what can happen now until I get insurance
I have had the iud now for a year and a half and i stop haven a period well i had one for a week and now i am haven signs of being pregnant took a test it came up negative what is going on
I have a question. I have had some symptoms of pregnancy but test comes out negative... What could it be? I usually get my period towards the end of each month but now I got it end of may and beginning of June. It lasted about fees days nd not second week of June im getting discharge that is pink. Pls help!!
I have a iud.. I just had my baby 4months ago I been berastfeeding. I had a period for the first two month then I been spoting. I been feeling dizzy.. lost of sleep.. but at the same time lazy.. I feel like I have to throwup at work  sometime.. I been eating a lot at night.. could I be pregnant..
I am a 26yr old with a 7yr old daughter.  I have had my Mirena IUD inserted into the vaginal area since 2011 because birth control pills stopped working for me and I was very fertile and not able to handle being a single mother of two if that happened. I have had a cycle ever since i've had the IUD. In the beginning i had a cycle for almost 2 weeks! Now it's been for up to 7 days and regularly comes on time. I have an odor during light spotting which ranges from bright red to dark brown/red in color. The month of June I have not had a cycle which usually would of started around the 15th. I feel bloated and I have noticed i've picked up on eating just about anything. I'm super emotional while on the IUD. My partner claims to have had a vesectomy (vasectomy) which means we should not be pregnant! But those are not 100% and neither is not getting pregnant with the Mirena. I'm honestly nervous to get a pregnancy test done as much as I want another child financially this is not the time, either way i'll be disappointed. I think no matter what device the human body is made to reproduce if it wants to fight all the devices and altercations we make for it not to there's still a chance of possiblity. If it's meant to be pregnancy will happen that's what i've learned from all the forums i've read so far. I will check back and update my situation.  Good luck ladies.
hello i was reading your post from 2010 and was wonder what the out come was
im wondering if im pregnant ive had neg pregnancy test...but been on it for almost 3 years and all of a sudden i started to bleed...n a few days agk i felt like i was tearing
If you get pregnant on the IUD do you have to get an abortion? I am realy scared. I don't know who to ask because I am stuck in the states right now and can't go to the doctors.
I too have been having wierd symptoms latly that leads me to belive i may be pregnant....i have had my iud going on 3 yrs now. Recently i have had sore breast, feel sick to my stomach, feel and look bloated, have been having headaches and sharp pains running up and down my sides, im constantly tierd and have been having mood swings. I have taken 3 hpt's in the last month and thay have all read negative but for some reason thats hard for me to believe. Theese are all the same side effects that i had with both of my children. I too like alot of you ladies on here have no insurence so i can not afford to go to the doc and get blood work done, the more i read about pregnancy while having an iud the more stressed i get just knowing what can happen. If there is anyone with actual answers to as why this is going on with so many of us please let us know!!
Hi ALL...
i have had the iud for  yr 1/2 now, i got it after getting pregnant with my 3rd son from the pills. Once i received the merina i wanted it removed because of horrible cramping but the doc gave me the run-around about my body having to get use to it and some of the worries i had was normal. But now i feel pregnant, of course i would know i have had 3 kids... my breast began feeling tender & now just firm, my appetite i believe has increased, i swear i'm feeling movements & my stomach seems rounder to the point were i'm noticing that its becoming harder to fasten my pants. I took an home pregnancy test but it showed negative.. idk if it could be from the hormones of the iud... or if i'm jst tripping and really gaining weight... not that i'm ready for another one (right now) i don't wanna be gaining weight either. I have made my apptmnt to the doc so hopefully i find out what's really going on. Even if i'm not really prego, i'm for sure getting this merina removed. I no longer want to continue to use something that i was uncomfortable with in the first place when i have to still worry about becoming pregnant and if that was to happen the complications a pregnant woman can have with the iud is not worth the risk.
I'm glad I found this site because I thought I was going crazy, Im 32 years old with 2 kids, 12 & 9, and Im on my 9th year with my copper IUD. I have never missed a period in these 9 years, never had prego symptoms and no complications. Ive loved every moment with my IUD, of course until now. The beginning of Oct, I had my papsmear, the doc made me bleed, which never happened before and now after for the past 2 1/2 weeks I have had prego symptoms, nausea, tired, mood swings, mild breast tenderness, and I swear my stomach is a bit firm. I have tooken 2 HPT and both negative. I'm planning to go to the Doc because I'm very concern, if I'm not prego then what is happening, and if I am , did the doc accidently move my IUD??? any one can relate??
Hi, I'm Michelle and I'm 23 years old. I have 2 kids, 4 and 2 yrs old. I got Mirena put in right after I had my 2 year old in June of 2010. Haven't had a period since then. Besides up and down mood swings and weight gain, I haven't had any other side effects.

For a week and a half now I've been feeling:
nauseous all day,
very tired during the day,
can't sleep at night,
sore n sensitive breast n nipples,
lower back pain,
increased libido,
starving sensation after eating 2 hours ago
sensitivity in smells
I'm even convinced I feel flutters in my tummy.

These are about the same symptoms I felt with both pregnancies. I was totally convinced I was pregnant so I bought a pregnancy test Friday and it came out negative. That's when I googled and ended up here last night. I was still convinced I was pregnant, I know my body and it felt just like my last pregnancies.

My husband took me to the ER last night because I had a stomach ache and I was really worried about my "fetus"

They tested my urine and blood and ran a blood count. Both pregnancy test came out negative but my white blood cell count was a bit high so the Dr. assumed I had a problem with my appendix so he ordered a CT Scan.

My appendix was normal but they found a cyst 2 inches big on my ovaries. They convinced me that if I were pregnant the fetus would have showed up on the scan.

So my results - The ovarian cyst gave me pregnancy like symptoms and I maybe a bit psycho lol... Either way, I scheduled an appointment with my OB/GYN to get this IUD out and my husband is setting something up for a Vasectomy.

I was almost convinced I wanted another baby once I thought I was pregnant but now that I'm not, I'm sure I don't want anymore.

I really liked Mirena because of the no menstrual period, but I think anything that messes with you're hormones may drive you MAD!
Wow.. I am another one who is having this same problem as libbee23&&nmcdaniel485&& aswell as you surfermom i have had the Iud(mirena) for about 14 months now had it put in right after I had my son and he's 15 months now, && i have all the same pregnancy symptoms that you guys are having, breast tenderness the cramping the messed up period... Spotting coming in going swollen feet cravings my boobs have gone up 2sizes in the past 2 months my stomach is even starting to get the pregnancy belly bump and I've taken several pregnancy test at home and blood test and then I'll come back negative my doctor keep telling me I'm not pregnant so I'm kind of really concerned and um I don't really know what to do so maybe you girls or the doctor on here could maybe give me some advice from what I could do to find out what's wrong with me... Please im really concerned about my body!!
Im 21 and i have the iud and im always tired lately and feeling sick all the time iv had my iud about 7months something like that.. and the past few weeks iv not been feelin ok i havent done a pregancy test yet and my boyfriend is worried that i could get pregant... i cant feel my strings im not sure what to do... any advice
i still have mine but thats how i feel all the time to
I'm having the same problem. I got my mirena iud in September of 2012 after my 2nd son was born. I haven't had my at in weeks and I finally got it and it was for one day. My boobs hurt my stomach hurts. I felt another heartbeat but my PR keeps saying negative. Idk what I should either
I am 23. I have had my mirena in since june 2012. my period is 2 months late. I went in to the ER and they did a urine and a blood test and I asked them if they were going to do a ultrasound and they said well its up on what the urine and the blood tests are. I told them I have been pregnant before while i had the mirena but i miscarried. Certain foods and the smell of foods make me ill to my stomach. And I have been having back pain. I have been having all the symptoms that I had when I was pregnant with my daughter. She will me 10 months on the 23rd.
Thank you for your information clearly I am in the same situation . I tried the pregnancy test the cheap one it gave me a negative  answer & I went to the clinic too that was the same answer which is negative .But I haven't seen any menstrual period after I put in the IUD.I don't know what is going on later I will see .
I have been expericing some one the same sypthoms your speaking of ive had my iud in for almost 5 years and now all of a sudden all these sypthoms have me extremely worried, the rush of mood swings, mild cramping in the lower adomen region and, the morning sickness is what is really worrying me and i have taken home tests (2) which both have came up - im hoping to get into the clinic here and see whats going on. I have been reading alot on this and it seems to me there are more and more women becoming pregnant or expecering pregnancey sypthoms like this while having the mirina iud, thats scary in some points of view.
Hello... I'm a mother of 2. I have obviously been pregnant before and I'm feeling the same symptoms as if I am now. I've been using the I.U.D Mirena for almost 3 years and it has been great, until....now! I am sooo emotional, my breast and belly are getting bigger, having cravings and am really tired (just like my previous pregnancy's). But there is a problem. I have taken 2 hpt's (both NEGATIVE), So I made a doctor appointment yesterday and did a blood test (again NEGATIVE). I don't understand how and why I am feeling pregnant if the test's are coming out yo be negative? I am hoping my doctor will agree to giving me an ultrasound to confirm if I AM or NOT. This is driving me mentally crazy!!!!! I have read everyone else's post and cant find the answer to my question. PLEASE>>>If there is anyone out there that can just tell me if they have gone through the same thing and found out if they were indeed PREGNANT. I'm just worried because I have also had an e topic pregnancy before and I don't want anything to happen. P.S. I'm also not 100% on wanting anymore babies. So someone please post so I can understand what is going on. Thanks...and good luck to everyone else. *Breona .A.
Thank you for your results.  I am sorry to hear about the results.  But, now have an outcome with the same type of symptoms.  Again, thank you.
omg i thought i was crazy i just know i am pregnant
I'm having a lot of symptoms of pregnancy and I had the mirena put in this march after I lost my baby in December. The past couple of months I've symptoms my breasts are sore and it pains me to even take a shower or put a shirt on. I've also gained weight and my stomach feels weird. I use to eat pickle all the time and drink the juice. Now the smell of it is making me nauseous and not to mention if I eat them I get sick. The smell of pizza makes me sick. If my boyfriend and I even go to his dads I get sick in the car. I can smell smoke when he comes home from work and I'm a smoker too. I took a test but it came out negative. Help.
This is the second Mirena IUD I have had put in, the first time was right after I had my son, the second time I was overseas on my deployment. The only time I have had a menstrual cycle was the few months between having the first taken out and the second one put in. I have recently started spotting which has never happened before and I also have some pregnancy symptoms ..... Is this normal? I have an appointment in a few days to have it removed but I'm still concerned
I had the mirena iud for 5 years, had that one removed and new one inserted in June. On this past  weekend My breast were very sore, hormone headache and all signs pointing to having period. had two days if spotting (light) my sore breast and everything went away, for Sunday then Monday they started back. Has this every happened to anyone? I usually have a few weeks of no period symptoms. Also, I usually have 3-4 days of spotting, not just 2
Just this year I had my mirena put in. It's was also quite painful for me but all went well.

In the last month I have noticed some big changes in my body. Hightened smell, I can't smoke or drink, random weight gain, vivid dreams, pains, sore boobs and my nipples are changing. There's many more symptoms. I'm 25 days late. I've taken 2 tests both negative. Is it possible I'm pregnant and the tests just don't work for me?
Ive been reading different posts on here an im a lil worried.... ive had the mirena in for a 10 months now an at least once or twice a month I cramp for 1 day so bad I can barely walk!I have a period still every month for sometimes a week to 2 weeks majority of the time its just spotting but goes back an forth...Lately ive been having hot flashes,can hardly sleep,no sex drive,no energy,always so tired,odd cravings,nauseas... ive been to the doc quite a few times over the pains ive had with this mirena an he says that everything looks fine....im 22 yrs old have 2 kids an not ready for anymore yet but also dont want it to start menopause.....
Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone have the same symptoms an it turn out to b something bad??
I just got my IUD two weeks ago. I have had bad periods for 25 yrs cramps so bad have to stay in bed take hot baths nothing helps. After talking to my Dr they recommended the IUD saying in most cases you will have little to no period . I do not have OHIP yet in Canada as I am a immigrant so it was the cheaper option $500.00 so Picked up the IUD at my drugstore went to the Dr. I was told it would take 15 mins well 45 mins latter and very painful it was in.The dr kept saying you are so tiny its hard to place at one point she had one side in and said she could not get the other side in had to take it back out I was like  are you kidding me. After it was placed I was given no information on care when to come back what to expect ect. All I was told was I would have cramps and spot for a few days. I had cramps for 5 days and bled for 5 days. I was a bit nervous to have sex when we did it hurt in certain positions. Two days ago I woke up to very soar breast my nipples hurt so bad. So I call my Dr and ask WTH and then was told no way it is the IUD as the hormones are localized and I need to come in for a PG test I started to laugh told her my husband had a vasectomy and had a reversal 8 yrs ago has been tested several times and was told the reversal did not work he has zero sperm count .then said to her we have had un-protective sex for 10 yrs you made me take a pg test before you put this in. Why in this day in age do Drs still treat women like this. You are either pg or its in your head. So I have a dr appt Thursday another pg test waist of money why they sit and deny that the IUD is causing this.I am 2 weeks in and not impressed . My back hurts  my boobs are heavy and hurt and cant sleep. So I started looking up online about this glad to know I am not alone.  I dont know what is worse bad periods or feeling pg .
I  just recently had the same issues, i mean I was having all the pregnancy symptomsand I've had the mirena in for 4 1/2yrs now and never get my period only every spotted luke 3 or 4 t imes tops! ( And very, very light might i add)  so I then took a p regnancy test came back negative, went to the dr.s  and she told me after examining me and taking a urine test that came back negative, that I want pregnant, and my cervix felt normal! I was a little disappointed to tell you the truth becuz my oldest is 10 now and  my youngest is gonna be 5 in February!  And I'm 28, my bf is 30& he doesn't have any kids of his own so we were really upset anyways so that same day i told my Dr. i wanted to get my mirena removed and she asked me if i wanted to do right now and I said yes pls.... i was just so done with the whole iud deal!  And the dr did tell me that the mirena let's off these hormones and can sometimes let off extra ones that
can then cause p regnancy like symptoms!  crazy right

Check out the part about the iud and early stages of menopaus...I'm going through the same thing. Breast are swallon, fatigue, thought I was pregnant numerous times amd all came out negative, hot flashes n cold sweats, gaining weight (I work out and eat same as I ever did) dizzy, run down, depressed, can't think streight half the times cause I'm so tired, stressed more than normal, less patience, lower back pain and numbness to the left leg and tingleing in the toes. I'm going nuts I feel like it. Even at work I wanna just fall over. I went to the dr. Today and they are testing my hormones and thyroid to see what's going on. I wint know for a couple of days but after reading some of the related discussions it hit me! If its early menopaus, I am gonna be very devistaded!! Heart broken. Upset that I will never again be able to have another child. I've had the iud since feb of 2008. Just got a new replacement at the end of september and my body is worse õthan it was with the first one. I have the mirena that has the hormones in it. I've also read today that missing periods are NOT GOOD !!! I would really advise to check out early menopuas with iud and see if this sounds like what you all are going through? ! You are not alone.
I have been experiencing what feels like a kick in my upper stomach area. I have a 10 month old and just had a period but am still lightly bleeding I have had a little bit of cramps the past couple of days and have had cysts also previously
hi, in the same boat as you. Lower back is hurting, swollen/sore breasts. Bad cramping, broke out in acne, bad acne, i have had the skyla iud since june and idk whats going on. I took a test and it came out negative, my period ended 2 weeks ago. help!!!
I had mirena for 5 years and never had a period but I still felt when I ovulated.  this past august I had it taken out because I was at my 5 year mark. i had sex august 27th and on august 28th i had it removed and replaced with paragard. it took the doctor some time to place the paragard in after mirena was taken out.  since then i have had my period (lasting 2-3 days only).  I never went in for my post check up and i have been having pregnancy symptoms since September.  i  have 2 children and know the symptoms , however i have had negative hpts and regular periods every 28 days.  could i be pregnant?
I have had the Mirena IUD for 1 year as of 12/10/13 and had 2 weeks bleeding, 2 weeks of freedeom followed by 6 weeks of bleeding. Dr. said it was just body adjusting to hormones and to give it some time. No bleeding until Aug., Sept., Oct., Nov., (consisted of 2-4 days of light-med flow). Now in December expecting the same thing but had a yearly exam on 12/23 and doc cannot find strings (no surprise I could never either) so scheduled transvaginal u/s on 12/30. Before leaving to go to u/s appt. I had one bright red spot of blood when I wiped followed by a light pinkish tinged thinking I was starting my period. U/S tech said everything in place and I noticed there was some pinkish looking d/c on wand when removed. After this there was nothing more so I thought no more about it but the following week had major pregnancy symptoms and finally called the doctor on 1/7 and they had me take a home pregnancy test that came back faintly positive. Called doctors office and they scheduled me an appointment in a couple of weeks but today I am starting to bleed again and more than likely am having a miscarriage. I scheduled appt. to have this Mirena IUD removed immediately and going back to natural family planning. I just thought that this would be a better alternative while attending nursing school and boy was I wrong. Good luck ladies!!
Did you have any negative home pregnancy test by any chance? I just keep feeling so pregnant and I had mirena before I had my son but I even feel movement sometimes and I've already take 3 test and they all were negative. Sorry to bother you and I wish you luck.
I was wondering what results you got?? I am 45 and on my 3rd Mirena...the first was put in at 6wk checkup after my daughters birth who is now 10. I had no problems or periods with my previous mirenas. Nor have I had any pregnancy scare or symptoms with my first 2 mirenas. I had this one put in around July 2013 and haven't had any issues with it until the last 1-2 months. Ive had nausea and all day sickness for the last 4 and a half weeks....breast soreness tenderness...frequent headaches...heartburn...back ache....leg and foot cramps...bloated tummy and for the last week I've had flutters and actual felt like kicking. I've got 2 kids my son is 21 and daughter is 10 so I know the symptoms well....I've taken home test that came back negative and because of my age and high risk pregnancy with my daughter I made dr appt with local dr to find out soon enough to be able to take proper precautions. They did urine and blood test that came back negative and she also checked to make sure it was still in place. This was 2 weeks ago and since have continued with vomiting 4-5 days a week, smells making me nauseaous daily and the feeling movement starting this past week. I was wondering what results you got so I know if I should see my obgyn for ultrasound or believe all my negatives and chalk it up to side effects from possible bad Mirena since first 2 were not this way. Any answers or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm 28 years old and this is my second Iud. The first iud I had no complications so I decided to put another one in 2010. My Iud will expire in 03/15. Recently I been experiencing tender breast, vomiting with almost every meal and very tired. Tired to the point that I fall asleep at work, not to mention my weight has been crazy. I have taken a a home pregnancy test and it came back negative. I feel tightness around my stomach with minor flutters. I recently had my anual and my strings were no where to be found so an ultrasound was ordered for me. Turns out I'm almost 16 weeks pregnant.
Hi...So I been on the IUD for about 2 and some what years now,I been feeling some Symptoms like none stop headaches,my breast are sore,gas,and cravings.I took a pregnancy test and it came out negative.So I'm not sure now can anybody tell me if this has happened to you?!
Wow! I'm going to see my Dr this week for similar symptoms. Did they remove your IUD? If so were there any weird symptoms afterwards?
OMG!!! this all freaks me out I am 25 and on my 2nd IUD i had the first one done 04/2010 i had a few complication but just pain in my uterus and cramping really bad my periods where infrequent some omnths would be for only 1 day others a week or so but they where much lighter then before. I have really really bad and heavy ones since i was a girl i have a 5 yr old son who will be 6 in july i had my IUD( MIRENA) removed in june of 2014 because it had moved and could have been causing the pain. after it was removed my periods came back (OMG THEY WHERE BAD I HAD FORGOTTEN HOW BAD THEY WHERE I HAD HAD MIRENA FOR 4 YEARS) so i told my dr i needed it back in plus i still had the Uterus pain after it was removed!!! so i got it in AUG right after i had Ovulated however my boyfriend and I had been doing it like we had a mirena in place ( when we didnt) i Got it put back in and literally for the last few months i have been having all kinds of symptons 1) i have not had a period since i got it (which was not the case for the 1st IUD i had) i get dizzy sick i have craving for the last 3 weeks its been sonic usually ice cream shakes with fruit i have back pain and fluttering in my belly i have gone to Urgent care and PCP and had pregnancy test done all negitive i get emotional more then normal angry quicker then usual and i swear i felt light kicking on one side for like 3 hours straight really freaked me out!!!!!! i have headaches all the time and my belly feels bigger but ive lost weight my boobs get tender and i had discharge thats clear i have to pee all the time and i just feel like im gonna wake up one night in labor like on "i didn't know i was pregnant" i have made an appt for friday but i kind of want to go to the ER to be safe because its been so long and ive been feeling all kinds of crazy!!!!! its good to know im not the only who has gone thru this !!!!!
Hello everyone,
   Well I had my Mirena IUD put in in June of 2011 and will be four years. But the past couple of weeks almost a month now. I have been having some pre pregnancy I haven't any bleeding or a periods. I did have a scare that I was pregnant last year. Where I took a PG test at home and came out positive. Then I then in turned and took another one again to be sure. It came back negative. So I brushed it off as o.k. then I may be just either going to finally have my period or at least stop. My periods are so rear that I only get a period once a year for an hour. That is normal for me and don't really think much. But this time around it is different and have been feeling just nausea, breast tender and little bigger, and a little pinching on the right side. Just then last week I spotted for an two days which was odd. And not to sound gross but there was a thick discharge and little slimy like. Seems like my body was preparing itself. as when I had my both of my boys. I honestly do not get discharge at all. Sometimes I hear that word I am a little clueless. I really has me worried is that after reading a lot of post of some similar issuses. I am affaired that I could be preganat again. I got the IUD so I would not have another child. Me and my fiance are content with are two son's. I will still love the new child regardless if there is one. Just worried and my Dr. office said it was normal. This does not feel normal as the others. I already took four test and three were positive. So is it the IUD sending false poisitves or indeed am pregnant.
Viewing 401 comments:
KTowne commented on veronica0808's status
alaatah joined this community
Welcome them!
Mediterranean diets
3 hrs ago by gymdandee
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals