If I'm pregnant should I take provera 10 mg?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I have already missed 2 periods. I went to the doctor and took a blood test that came out negative.  My doctor thinks I'm not pregnant. She gave me a  prescription for provera 10 mg.
I'm afraid because I had all the pregnancy symptoms and suspected pregnancy.
I've already taken 2 pills. what  if i'm really pregnant what can happen to the baby?

Please let me know if you had a similar situation or know anything about it.

Thanks,

Evelise
Your doctor gave you Provera to make you have a period.  

I think the test is correct.  If you've missed two periods and then took a blood test at the doc's office then you can be about 99.9% sure that you are not pg.

Now, you will take the Provera and you will have a period after you finish taking all your pills.  

To fully answer your question though, if by some crazy chance you are pg, then Provera would cause a miscarriage.  But again, being that you've been to the doctor and they tested you, it's about 99.9% sure you're not pg.

Good luck!
Another thing....again, I'm sure you're not pg, BUT if you were then if the Provera didn't cause a miscarriage then it puts your baby at an increased risk of birth defects.

Why do you still think you are pg even after a negative blood test?

I missed one or two pills and had unprotected sex with my husband.

I felt really sick before I missed my period. I had dizzness nausea. I still have sometimes. I also have pain on my back and at the low abdomen. I could be pregnant or couldn't.

Thank you for your comments!
I appreciate that!!

Evelise
hello .i thought i was pregnant a month ago after no af since august 6th. the pregnancy tests were negative and dr tested for thyroid problems and for pcos because they also could cause me to miss af. he put me on 20 mg provera for 7 days to start af and 2 days after last pill i had af start.i see a dr on monday about thyroid because it came back high so i think they will have to put me on med for it.but you sound like i did .i had symptoms of pregnancy also and i was worried because i had my tubes tied in march of this yr.you should be fine .good luck.
And let's not forget that if you're worrying about it and such, you can psychologically cause yourself to have pregnancy symptoms when you're not pregnant or in anything.  I hope everything goes well.
Yes, chrimullins makes a good point - pain in your lower back and abdomin (abdomen) could very well be cysts and could explain why you missed a couple periods.

I'm trying not to think I'm pregnant. Maybe I am worrying too much. I'm taking  provera 10 mg.
Today I'm feeling very sick, nausea and dizzy. I think it's normal and hopefully my period  will come.
I would be happy if I knew I was  pregnant, but now that I'm taking provera I better not be.
Thank you for your comments. I'll let you know how it goes.

Evelise
hi im 18 yo and i dont have my mens since 5 mnths i think.and i think im pregnant which i dont want 2 happen but after i had tested myseLf it appeared + and i want 2 take provera so that i can have my  miscarriage. . .does this heLp me in getting rid of the baby??
ls heLp me. . .im stiLL studying and im not yet ready for this it was an accident. . .ls help me
I'm pregnant took the test and it was positive. I want to know if I take provera if it will make me have a miscarriage.
no it will not hurt the baby if you are then you will not get a period. it will not hurt the baby at all i am going throw the same thing and i ask my doctor the same thing
Provera will not cause you to have a miscarriage. People should follow up on information before staring it..
Provera is perfectly safe for use during pregnancy. We use Provera to help prevent miscarriage in early pregnancy and it is usually taken until 12 weeks gestation, when it is stopped because the placenta has formed and the placenta produces enough progesterone to maintain the pegnancy. Years ago, before we had the modern monoclonic pregnancy tests, we used Provera as a pregnancy test. If you did not bleed, you were pregnant.If you bled, you were not pregnant. Provera will cause you to get your period if you have missed your period due to hormonal imbalance. Provera will also stop your bleeding if you have some dysfunctional uterine bleeding (twice a day for five days). During pregnancy, Provera does not cause bleeding.  Provera definitely does NOT cause a miscarriage and is definitely used during pregnancy, expecially if you have a low progesterone level.
first and foremost provera 10mg DOES NOT CAUSE MISCARRAIGE (miscarriage) I perscribe it to my patients whom are tryying to concieve (conceive) . Its a progestin
heres an example....
you get pregnant and it comes back that your progosterone levels are low under 8 your dr. will put you on some sort of progestin to try to bump up your levels and the pills are  usually 60mg or higher .So taking 5- 10- 20mg of provera aka medroxyprogesterone acetate will not do anything.
My doctor prescribed provera 10mg to stop my period. I have norplant which is another contraceptive (implant) the bleeding has not stopped instead it's getting worse and i have exceeded my normal days. it looks like it's about to stop then starts again. I have only taken 3 pills what happens if I stop without taking all the 10 pills. Trish  
Help Me
I missed my period from june 19, i thing im not pg, a week ago of 09-10 i called to the dr, she told me do the pharmacy test, results negative and i start take provera, is any posible im pg??? don't have any simptoms and if im pg, the provera my casuse any defect to the baby?? just i wanna make sure!
thank you
JC
my girlfriend is pregnant.what will i do if im she's not ready to have a baby and she wanted to abort this?
Many good folks are trying to adopt children , take a look at our adoption forum also the pregnancy one , ask your girl friend to think hard before making any descision.  
I have recently started using the Clearblue Easy Fertility Monitor on day 12 showed High Fertility, but it has been over a week later and still showing High Fertility status. Can this be accurate or is something wrong? I am very confused on this situation
You shouldn't WANT to ever have a miscarriage...that's a horrible thing to go through wheather you are ready to be pregnant or not. There is ALWAYS adoption.
I am 24 years old and i havent had my period for 5months i saw my dr. he had me get blood work done it came back negitive for tyroid and pregncey so he prescribed me medroxyprogesterone(provera) i took the pills one a day for seven days at the begining of the month now its the end of the month and still no sign of my period! Should i keep waitting for it and hope nothing is seriously wrong or should i call my dr right away????? some on any one please help!!! thank you.
ho
hi,i not get my periods last year2009  ( july,aug,sep,oct)  i think may i am pregrant but the test its nagative.i call my dr ,she do my blood test everything was fine but the progesterone level was high,then she asked me about provera take this for just one month,i take this on november 2 and i get my periods af 10 days for my last pill. but the next month again i missed periods then my dr tolg me u just wait ur periods come regular becouse i am 21 years she said its happend,,,,,,,but i worry about my periods how long i waiting for my periods thats the way she give me provera again and she said to me after 3 months course u get ur periods regular ,,,,          i am marriad, age 21yearold, i have one baby born in oct 2007 now he was 28 months old...............
my periods was fine before july2009 and sundddenly i dont no wt happend to me its stop....i still take provera10mg becouse its 3 months course and i wants to get pregrent too,,,,,,plz plz can any body tell me that which days are best i check my preg test after my periods  before i took next month provera pills,,,,, i mean its very short time like, i take provera first pill 5feb and its ten pills and after 8 or 6 days i get my periods and after my periods its very shot time to i do my preg test becouse i start my pronera pills again same date on 5th..........................................plz any body help me to all this Q?  i am really worried..
its been a month already i missed my period, i test it was negative. i took provera 10mg and i have my period.is this the sign that im not preggy?pls help
I as well have not had a period in over 2 months. I had two faint positives and then a bunchof negatives, A negative blood test as well. I finished my provera 4 days ago and still no period. I have been having pregnancy symptoms for well over 2 months now. I am waiting until Sunday and if no period I am going back to the gyn. I also have a Dr appointment with my primary on the 5th of august. I am continuing to have pregnancy symptoms and I am trying not to worry either way. The only thing that I am concerned with is if I am indeed pregnant that the provera will cause birth defects.
I took provera and was 11weeks preganant and in my case I had a miscarriage ...something like thats give makes you want to die especially if you have been trying alot.....Unfortunately for me I did not know that I was until I saw the fetus. in the bathroom ....
The FDA states very clearly that Provera or it's substitutes should not be taken while pregnant so maybe you are really doctors and if you are maybe you should go back to school for it. Not to mention the people who have commented on here about having miscarriages while taking Provera.
Im jay,

My girl friend is 2weeks delay,we take pg test then result is positive.were not ready for this.shes graduating is there any way to end her pg?please help us!Thanks!
We have no choice!please help!
Im jay,

We have no choice!please help!
Speak to a doctor. If you're not ready for children, USE PROTECTION and get her on birth control. Abortion is not birth control and should never be used or intended for such. You say you have no choice, but you could have prevented this in the first place. Consider adoption versus termination as well. The child did nothing wrong and doesn't deserve to pay the price for your mistakes.
if your gyn prescribed you provera 10mg and you have taken all of it and still no period you should go back to your gyn asap cause it could mean that you r pregnant or there is somethin seriously wrong
i am pg, but i have a daughter n my dr put me on provera for a miscarriage is dis real going 2 happen ?
hi iam so confused my period haven't came in 4 months and I've been going to the doctor and taking the urine test but it keep kumming up negative and the doctor gave me provera to take for 10 days and I'm scared kuz I think I'm pregnact wat should I do
hi everyone, i had also missed 2 periods now, i went to my dr. yesterday had a negative urine test  did not had a blood test done, and he prescribed Provera 10 mg, I am concerned because when my sister was pregnant she kept geting negative home pregnancy results, and it was until they did a blood test that they found out she was pregnant.     should i go back and ask for a blood test before taking provera??
hi im using injectable for contraceptive and i stop using it last november 15, 201o coz' decided to have a normal menstrual prieod, i am so confused  i haven't a period a 1 month and 11 days and i took a test its negative then the midwife gave me a provera 10mg. i taken for 7 days now. but i still don't have a period.
In 2007 I had my son. And my periods were fine for awhile. Then all the sudden I was missing them. Month's went past & I thought I was pregnant. I got test after test and they all said no to being pregnant. Finally after tons of blood test and home test saying no, my doctor gave me a sonogram just to make sure, there was no baby. So she gave me provera, It caused me to have a period. But then the next month came, and along came no period. So I switched to a women's dr. And she ran test on me for thyroid problems and other problems it could be. When the test came back I found out I had PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). So everyone not having periods for months at a time but are having negative pregnancy results,talk to your dr and see if it could be PCOS and see if you can get tested. About 1 in 10 women have it and it also makes it difficult to get pregnant. With no birth control, and not having a period for over a year, I started taking metformin to try to get pregnant again and in Feb 2010 I had my daughter. Now i'm trying for my last baby. I moved so now I have a different Dr. Since i'm trying to concieve (conceive) I am on 500mg Metformin,10mg provera, and prenatals. If i'm not pregnant within 6 months. She's going to give me Chlomid. ( a fertility drug) I am a bit worried about taking the provera while i'm TTC though.She gave me 5 refills of it. I just finished my 10 day course for this month, but if I happen to get pregnant & not know it, then start my 10 day course next month, Will it hurt the baby? Since I have PCOS and have a high risk of miscarriage anyways, I want to make sure I dont greater my chances, after all I'm TTC. Thanks
I havent had a period since the beginning of nov in which i had 2 periods that month...since then i havent had a period & its going on 3months...ive been experiencing pregnancy symptoms but all of my test have come back negative! I seen my doctor 2day & she gave me a blood test & prescribed medroxyprogesterone acetate (provera 10mg) without waiting to c about the blood test results....should i start the provera without knowing 4sure just yet if im pregnant??? im really confused!!!!
Hi. I had a miscarriage on Feb. 16, 2011. Didn't not get my period in March at all, so I thought I was pregnant, & took a whole bunch of pregnancy tests, but it all says negative. & now, its mid April and still don't have it, so I went to see my Doctor. He asked if I get my period every month & I said yes. He did an ultrasound to see if my uterus was back to normal & said yes. He also mentioned that its unusual for me not to get my period yet, so he gave me a pregnancy test & came back negative on April 18, 2011, so he prescribed me some Provera 10MG. I took 2 of them. I started feeling light cramps & I knew something didn't feel right. On April 22, 2010, I took a pregnancy test & there was a very light line, but I can still see it. I wanted to make sure, so I went and bought a digital pregnancy test & it said pregnant! I couldn't believe my eyes! Now, I am just so scared that it can harm the baby. Is there anyone that can make me feel at ease? Thank you!
I am 23 yo. I lost a baby at 17 weeks in Oct. He had trisomy-18 (Edwards syndrome)
I last had af in march and so I thought I was pg again. Went for tests which came back stating that I was post menstrual.. I am on Provera 10mg for 5 days to see what happens.
Has this happened to anyone? I had an "accidental" pregnancy at 17 and kept her. She is a beautiful 6 yo but I really wish I had the "luxury" of taking a pill to "miscarry" like some of those out there. Adoption was put in place for a reason...
Hi..last week i took home pregnancy test it came out negative,but i do have pregnacy symtoms (symptoms) that's why i go to the ob for check up..my ob ask me some questions but didn't do any test..she told me to take provera for 5 day (2tabs a day)..should i take it or not?? Still i have pregnancy symtoms (symptoms) and it's getting more stronger everyday..please help me..i dont want to lose my baby (if ever i really am pregnant).

HELP ME PLEASE....
you should have kept your legs closed if u didnt want to get pregnant.. theres no reason to ruin a baby's life all because u dont want to be a mom..
hello, im 23 years old and have a baby for 6 months. and my menstruation stopped, i am delayed for already 2 weeks. i already take provera 10mg for 2 days. it could help for me to have my menstruation this coming april?
please read this link http://www.health-science.com/provera.html

Warning: The use of Medroxyprogesterone Acetate during the first four months of pregnancy is NOT recommended.

There is an increased risk of minor birth defects in children whose mothers take this drug during the first 4 months of pregnancy.

You should have used a condom to avoid pg or diseases but no if you feel you dont want a child at this time go to a hospital or clinic other medical procedures have to take place in order to ensure that you are cleaned out if not other medical problems can occur or even death so love your body and self and go to a doctor