Women's Health Community
Itching Scalp
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Itching Scalp

My head itches all the time.  So bad I can't stop scratching it.  If you run your fingernail across my scalp a yellow substance is under your nail. Although there are no flakes or anything like that in my hair. I have tried every shampoo for dandruff and dryscalp and itching available and nothing works.  It has actually gotten worse.  Any ideas what this could be and if I need to see a doctor what kind of doctor?
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
i have a very itchy scalp right in the back of my head. its all red and scaley under my hair. im always rubbing my hand on it and picking at it but it sends flakes on my shoulders. i dont have what you described(the yellow stuff under nails)but its very flakey. some shampoos make it worse. what i have is psorriasis (i have NO idea how to spell it). i think it can be hereditary. ive had mine for over a year now. i use a special medicated gel to stop the itch and keep it at bay. you should go to a dermatoligist or next time you have a hair appt. ask him/her what it is. they are aware of skin conditions too. do you color your hair? your shampoo/conditioner/hairspray/gel.. whatever you use may need to be changed. if you dont have psoriasis then maybe you are experiencing an allergic reaction to your products?
Blank
I have tried changing shampoos and conditioners. It didn't help. I don't use any other hair products.  I have asked my hairstylist and she had no clue. Said she hadn't ever seen anything like it.Because my scalp looks normal no red, flakes nothing just itches and if you scratch it then under your nail is a yellow substance but you can't see it looking at my scalp.  VERY Weird.
Blank
ok, then it doesnt sound like what i have and if it were psoriasis (sp) then your hairdresser would know. i would seek a dermatoligist. there is a dermatology forum here too. i dont know if there is a fee to post though. you should make an appt.
Blank
For any of you who have the itchy scalp try 'TERSA-TAR'.  It is a shampoo that my husband uses. He has PSORIASIS and it helps with the itching.  I am from Canada and so I don't know if you can only get it here. It is for other symptoms also, not just psoriasis.  

Good luck.
Blank
sorry to keep posting but i just thought of this as well and wanted to ask you if your hair is of oily texture? it sounds as if (because its yellow) that it could be oily scalp and thats what you are getting under your nails.
Blank
ya know, i just thought of this because i was doing my own hair and i have a spray bottle w. water a tea tree oil in it. i spray my scalp w. it. tea tree is supposed to be good for itching/anti fungal. read up on tea tree and see if it could work for you. you never want to use it straight out of the bottle..always dilute.
Blank
It sounds like you have something called "cradle scalp" or "cradle cap." It's very common in babies. Check out these links for more info!
http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/baby/babyills/babyrash/80.html
http://my.webmd.com/hw/raising_a_family/tp21114.asp
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Women's Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949