Large, painful, uterine fibroids: educate me
I finally have a diagnosis regarding the extreme abdominal discomfort, back pain, pelivc pressure, nausea, etc., etc., I have been experiencing.  I have several uterine fibroids, one of which is larger than a lemon, centrally located, and causing most of my symptoms.  The GYN told me it had twisted and is necrotizing.  She also said that the rapid onset of symptoms (almost 8 weeks) was due to the rate at which the fibroid was enlarging.  I'm almost 50, so a partial hysterectomy is the solution I chose.  What I want to know is, what is the possibility that the fibroid will continue to grow (it's already made my life miserable), and the potential for infection, since we're talking about necrotic tissue?  Thanks in advance.
i'd suggest asking your question on the ovarian cancer forum (patient-to-patient forum).  not because you have cancer, but because the women on that site have seen it all and are very helpful and compassionate.  lots have had cysts, fibroids, demoroids, you name it.  good luck :)
Thanks.  Will do. :-)
you're welcome.  i'm sure there are people on this site which also have knowledge of fibroids, it's just that i've seen so many postings on the other site which include fibroids with their other problems.  hope it helps.
Fibroids are benign growths of muscle and connective tissue that grow until you reach menopause.  Then they slowly and gradually shrink to a negligible size, at which time they will be small and calcified.  

The average size of the uterus including fibroids in the late thirties to early forties is a ten to twelve week pregnancy size (about 13cm in the largest dimension), in the middle forties fourteen to sixteen weeks is average (about 17cm in the largest dimension), and in the late forties to early fifties eighteen to twenty weeks is average (about 21cm in the largest dimension).  

Fibroids have two rapid growth spurts that are natural, predictable, and not a cause for alarm.  The first rapid growth spurt is in the late thirties to early forties.  Then you have a few years of slower growth.  Right before you go through menopause, when you have the hormone changes associated with the beginning of menopause, you have the second and last rapid growth spurt.  Then the fibroids slowly and gradually shrink to a negligible size.

You develop all of the new fibroids you are going to have in your 30's you do not develop new fibroids in your 40's.

Both estrogens and progesterone stimulate fibroid growth.  Many women use the so called "natural" progesterone yam cream that promoters claim shrinks fibroids, but in fact it makes them grow.

Fibroids are not a disease, they are your genetic blueprint.  If you can live with the symptoms it would probably be better than unnecessary intervention of any kind.  If you cannot live with the symptoms a myomectomy is a reasonable option.