Living with an endometrioma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Living with an endometrioma

I am a 46 year old woman with a suspected endometrioma, size 15x
10x12 centimeters. I am in
no pain, with no other symptoms. I went to my doctor because I
could feel a large lump in my pelvic area. After two transvaginal
ultrasounds, and pelvic exams from 2 different doctors, I am
trying to figure out what the hurry for surgery is,unless it is a malignant tumor. But neither doctor thinks it is
malignant. As long as the tumor is not malignant, could I just
live with it? Unless it grows larger, and starts to cause me
problems, is there any danger in refusing the surgery and seeing
how things go? I had a  benign brain tumor removed a couple of years ago, and I am not anxious to have any more surgery. Do the
inherent risks of surgery out weigh the risks of doing nothing?
In my opinion, you should have the surgury.  I had a cyst on my ovary the size of a canteloupe that wasn't causing me any pain but the doctor said I was in danger of it rupturing and also causing major damage to one of my ovaries.  Its not comfortable to go through surgery and I understand you not wanting to do it.  There is peace of mind that comes with the surgery too.  They will run pathology on the tumor and know for sure whether or not it is malignant.  Your's is rather large, too and I bet in the future it will cause you more pain than it is right now.  Right before I had the surgery, I had a lot more pain that I wasn't prepared for.  But I am really glad that I had the surgery.  Good luck!
I used to work with one of the best OBGYNs in the country and he specializes in problems such as yours. His name is Anothony Luciano and you can ask his group a question via the web (as he is located in CT). The website is: http://www.womenssurgerygroup.com
Hello

I'm in the exact same position as you. Did you get some more information about living with an endometrioma of your size?
Thanks.