Menopause due to Mirena

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Menopause due to Mirena

I have a long hard story about my experience with the Mirena IUD.  I had my Son March of 2006.  He was a true blessing as he helped me mentally, emotionally, and physically.  I was very concerned about birth control after I had my son because I did not want to get pregnant any time soon.   I did not at all have any post partum issues it actually seemed that my hormones were even for the first time in my life.  My doctor suggested that I have Mirena inserted as it was good for 5 years and I wouldn't have to worry about all of the typical problems that birth control brings.  I wanted to do a lot of research because this was going to be a new part of my body and I was nervous, so I started out just taking the pill until I read all of the information possible.  In February 2007, I had Mirena inserted.  I had my period solid and heavy for 3 months, then did not get it at all.  In mid June, I noticed that I was feeling a bit down but blew it off thinking that I was just stressed.  All of a sudden I started to feel exhausted, wanted to sleep all of the time, I started getting severe hot flashes and night sweats, these funny brain tremors(can't even describe how bad that feeling is), losing my hair, mood swings, and absolutely no sex drive(my poor husband, he has been wonderful).  I went to my regular doctor who tested me for all sorts of things the big one being Thyroid, but everything came back normal.  Sleeping was non existant with the night sweats which made the mood that much worse.  I finally went to my OB in the beginning of November who did some tests on me and said that I was experiencing menopause.  I'm 25 and my son is only 1 1/2.  No freakin way!  He put me on Hormones (which by the way can cause every cancer in the book) and said that I will feel better within a day, but did not want to take Mirena out.  I said ok and went on my way.  I talked to many people for advice who told me to get it taken out right away and go off of the hormones.  I did that 2 days later, my OB asked no questions and I stopped taking the hormones.  I have noticed no change in how I feel, I still get hot flashes and night sweats, am still tired all of the time, losing hair, my skin is very dry and thin, I could go on forever it is only getting worse by the day.  I am strongly convinced that having Mirena in has caused the Menopause, I have had it out since the middle of November and the symptoms have gotten worse.  So my question is, has anyone or is anyone going through the same thing and does anyone know of a class action lawsuit against the makers of Mirena as there was nothing in their information that said this was going to happen.  I appreciate any feedback to ease the stress on me and my family and hopefully get some of a normal feeling back.

Thank you.
Ladies I just wanted to let you know that I just got off the phone with BAYER regarding the Mirena. To file a complaint it is advised that you call this number (toll-free) 1-888-84-BAYER (1-888-842-2937) for the Adverse Department. Please, please call to file a complaint so that they have to send it to the FDA and we can get this ball rolling for a recall since they never listed the horrible side effects that we have had to endure.Make sure you keep documentations of what has happened to you and take pictures as well just incase a lawyers office takes on this case.

My symptoms were (are) dizzy
headaches
excessive bloating
excessive weight gain
no response to exercise
hair loss
insomnia
acne
anxiety
extreme irritability
joint pain
itchiness
loss of libido
estrogen dominance
Hi, Just want to add my story to this subject.  I had my Daughter in 2001 & had an IUD fitted shortly after which caused numerous infections and so I had it removed 6 months later, my Gyno in Greece recommended the Mirena and I had it fitted in 2002. I had all the nightmare symptoms in the beginning, painful breasts, abdominal pains, headaches, mood swings, weight gain, loss of libido etc, but I stuck with it and eventually it all calmed down, although my libido has never returned.  My periods began to be erratic and eventually in 2005 they stopped altogether, I was told this was OK, nothing to worry about and I left the Mirena the full 5 years, having it removed in September 2007.  The new Gyno I went to for removal was horrified that I had it, gave me a lecture on how bad it is to stop your periods like this and told me that here in Greece they have stopped using it since 2004. After an examination he told me there were no eggs in the ovaries, but that I would have a bleed because of the removal and then expect a period after a month.  I went away, had my period a month later, another 1 after about 3 months and my last one in June. I have just been back to him, because I have been feeling so tired, experiencing low abdominal pains and a general feeling of unwell.  The examination revealed again no eggs and the blood tests show that at 42 I am going into menopause.  My Thyroid was also checked, no problems there. My feeling is that the Mirena is responsible for this early menopause, my Mother & Grandmother were both close to 50 when they started and I feel devastated that I will not be able to have another child that my Husband & I had talked about.  I feel I am too young, so I can only imagine what it must be like at only 25.  I hope they recall it and stop all of this suffering, I wish I had never heard of it.
I became pregnant in 2002 at the age of 34. After my son was born in 03, I wanted to be on a safe and effective type of birth control. I am a smoker, and could not use the pill, and was not sure if I was going to have anymore children or not, so tubal ligation was not an option for me. My gyno suggested the IUC. It was placed in 5-2005, and my nightmare began. I started experiencing dizziness, feelings of faintness, blurry vision, anxiety, no period, fatigue, cramping, breast nodules, no sex drive, facial hair growth, weight gain, and numerous other side effects. The one that was the most debilitating was the panic and anxiety. I had every test done to mankind to find the reason, and everything came back negative. I can't count the time, and money we have spent trying to pinpoint a cause, and after three years of struggling, I finally had the thing removed two weeks ago. I don't know if it was what was causing my problems, but through the process of elimination, I totally believe it was. If there is a lawsuit on this thing with a recall, I would sure like to know about it, because it significantly impaired my life for the three and a half years I had it.
I am a 39 year old mother of two healthy children, 16 and 11. After the birth of my eldest, I wanted to remain on birth control, but was unable to take the pill. That was when I had my first IUD put in. After the birth of my second daughter, my OBGYN suggested the Mirena. I have had it in now and have had no bad experiences with it.  Although my periods did stop altogether, I really was not sure if it was because of the IUD. I am an amateur boxer and am still training as if I was going to compete and due to my training routine, I was always sure it was due to low body fat. About six months ago, I started feeling very tired and yet could not sleep at night. I would go from being very cold to being very hot. I have also had more frequent headaches and had had low energy.  After going to the doctor on numerous occasions, I finally had the proper blood work done and when it returned, he told me that I was experiencing menopause!!!  Did I mention that I am only 39????  This is insane!!  Now looking back, my mood swings were quiet extreme. I don't know if my mirena could be the cause of this, but it seems funny after reading all of your comments. I wish all of you the best and hope that something can be done!!!
I am a 39 year old mother of two teenaged daughters.  I had my original Mirena inserted in July, 2002 due to extreme bleeding for many months.  I would bleed for about 24 days out of every month and felt horrible.  As I was only 32 years old at the time, my GYN did not want to perform a hysterectomy and suggested the Mirena.  I bled for a couple of months after insertion, but shortly thereafter I had no bleeding and have had no period ever since.  This is the side effect that is fantastic!  

Shortly after having the Mirena inserted, my marriage fell apart and I was feeling very depressed, EXTREMELY EXHAUSTED and overall "crappy".  I assumed that this was all due to my life circumstances.  I gained significant weight in my mid-section, I had (and still have) constant headaches, I am always still very very tired, am dizzy, fuzzy-minded, blurred vision, achey (achy), etc. etc. etc.  I never once thought about the Mirena being the cause of any of these symptoms.

My doctor has checked my bloodwork numerous time to ensure my iron levels, etc. were okay as well as my thyroid - every time the results were normal so I thought it must all be in my head and all be due to me being somewhat depressed, etc. due to my marital breakdown.

I had my 2nd Mirena put in in December, 2009 as the first one was in for the full 5 years.   It was a little painful getting it taken out and the new one put in, but for me the pain was worth it to continue to be period-free for another 5 years!

Recently I have been experiencing hot flashes and night sweats so I asked my doctor if I could be going through menopause. She ordered bloodwork to check my hormones and informed me last week that yes, in fact I am quite far into menopause!!! (remember, age 39)!  Because I have not had a period in almost 6 years, I did have the early warning signs of menopause such as missed or irregular periods.  

I wondered why I would be going through it so early so googled "Mirena and early menopause" which brought me to this site.  When I started reading all the side effects, I wondered if it was maybe the Mirena that cause a lot my problems over the years and it wasn't in fact the disolving of my marriage and change in life circumstances.

I now have to decide what to do.  My doctor stated that I should (because of my young age) go on Hormone Replacement for quality of life.  (I am close to my decision and believe that HRT is beneficial for me) - hopefully this will help with the terrible symptoms of menopause I have been having.  

I am wondering if having the Mirena inserted had any part in accellerating my body into menopause.   I am thinking of having it removed before starting HRT because even though the doctor told me that there is a very low hormone dosage in the Mirena, I don't want to over-do it with hormones as that could cause me even more problems.  It would be amazing if I had it removed that I would feel the way I used to feel back 6 years ago (minus the husband)

FYI, before I had the Mirena inserted the first time I read and re-read the pamphlet which contained all the possible side effects, etc.  But, as I stated above, my life changed dramatically very shortly after insertion so it never occurred to me that some of my problems may be related to the Mirena.

If this device does accelerate a woman's body into menopause, this should be well publicized as it would be tragic for young women who use this as a form of contraception early in their life to only find out later that they are no longer able to conceive due to their body going though "the change".
I had Mirena inserted in May 2008, I was 35 at the time. Shortly after I started getting hot flashes, severe joint pain, anxiety and panic attacks and problems sleeping. I never thought it was due to the Mirena because my doctor told me the hormones in it were going to work "locally" in the uterus and would not go to the rest of the body. After several blood tests and two ultrasounds everything came out normal. Doctors thought it might be depression and started me on antidepressants. But the symtopms continued and I started to look back to what I did differently after I started feeling ill. The only thing was the Mirena. I did some research on the internet and found out many people had problems with it. I went to the doctor and he told me that he had placed at least 300 of them and nobody had complaints. I told him that maybe I was the only one, but I wanted it out. I had it removed on October of the same year I had it placed, only 5 months later. The symptoms continued and started having shorter periods. I went to a different OBGYN and had a vaginal ultrasound done and he said my ovaries looked very small. He ordered blood tests to check my hormones. And, guess what? it was menopause. I'm only 35 and have no family history of premature menopause. I'm on HRT and started feeling better immediately. No hot flashes, no joint pain and sleeping through the night. Thank God I already had the children I wanted to have. I'm sure the Mirena made me go through early menopause. Now I have to take HRT risking cancer problems. I also have to take Calcium supplements for osteoporosis. It's really sad.
I am 22 years old and have a 2 year old daughter and a 7 1/2 month old son. My husband and I were planning to have one more baby, just not right now, in a few years. I got the mirena in March of 2009 because my doctor said it would be great for me since I am so young and do want more children later. So after reading the information she gave me at least 20 times my husband and I chose to go this route with birth control. WELL....this was a big mistake! I have absolutely no sex drive, I have hot flashes, night sweats, my hair is falling out by the hand full, my husband and I argue almost constantly, I can't sleep even though I am exhausted....I could go on forever but it seems like I am not alone so I'm sure everyone knows the list of complaints!
These symptoms have been going on since about a week after I got the IUD put in. So this is about 6 months of suffering through this and I went looking for anyone else having the same problems.
I am horrified after reading ALL the women going into early menopause because of the Mirena....I am only 22 and it seems like this is possibly what is wrong with me right now. They need to recall this thing so nobody else has to go through this nightmare. I think I better get to my doctor, get it removed, and get everything checked out.
Thank you all for sharing, it helps to know I'm not alone.
I have to give my husband credit, he has put up with so much from me in the past few months. I have said some horrible things to him and kept him awake all night because I couldn't sleep, froze him because I have to have a fan on me and the air conditioning turned up way high to keep myself cooled off at night.
Hopefully I can get it removed and return to something close to normal for the sake of my family.
im 30 and been told i am in menopause, and i am in total aww i had my tube tied 3 years ago and then in may of 2006 had mirena put in due to heavy periods and it did nothing to lessen them, so in jan of 2009 it was taken out since it was in there for no reason. Well it is now oct of 2009 and still I have had no period and a few weeks ago my doc did some test etc. and is saying im in menopause, I am really really mad, and if he looks back I was having my normal heavy periods I've always have had since age 12 unless for a given reason till this mirena was removed and wow removing that put me into menopause, there is really something wrong here, please is there anyone that can help me....email me ***@****, if you have any info on this or a story of a kind. I though you had to be period free for a yr to determine menopause and mine hasnt been a year yet.
I am 45 beginning menopause and I smoke. I also have endometriosis which can be very painful. My dr. today metioned mirena for the endometriosis.Estrogen is out of the question because I smoke. After reading all of your horror stories I think I will wait until the end of menopause to see if the endometriosis syptoms (symptoms) subside.
I am glad I found this thread...didn't have a clue about mirena & menopause.  Mine was inserted in Oct. 2007 due to a blood clot after a car accident Aug. 31, 07 and having been on the pill.  They told me stop taking the pill & suggested the Mirena.  I have it in for 5 yrs., so still have nearly 3 to go.

My cycles are not completely gone, but are much lighter than they used to be.  I was more afraid of it piercing the womb or something.  I have some of the symptoms on the list but never associated them with the IUD.  Thanks for posting this information.

I am in tears reading this. I too am in menopause after having the IUD placed for irregular bleeding.
I have always had clockwork periods and then I started bleeding longer than I should. While it was no fun I could've managed it, but I would also sometimes go without a period for a couple of months. I believe that we all thought these issues were related to fibroids and my history of ovarian cysts. They told me that not having my period was dangerous as the build up of endometrium can actually lead to cancer. It seemed like a no-brainer, so I had the IUD placed. I never wanted it, but was told that I needed it!
Within a few months I had no bleeding at all, and have been virtually without a period for nearly the 5 yrs I have had my IUD. It was almost immediate that I no longer had a sex drive, I have been tired for years, bloated ( I even wondered if I had a tumor), I have crazy anxiety that hits in the middle of the night and is followed by hot flashes. I can be very moody!
My Dr. finally tested me after about 6 months and told me I was in early menopause. I was 39. I have not done much about this because I figured he was wrong. The lab test were borderline and that has allowed me to live in denial.
I should have researched sooner, and maybe I would be better off. This is not fair. I am upset and angry, I am too young and did not want to go through menopause at the age of 40! I wasn't sure that I was done having babies, otherwise we would've probably just taken my last ovary out.
I would like to be kept aware of any complaints/ class actions that are filed.
Thank you.
PS just made an appt to get the thing removed!
Thank you so much for all your stories, thank goodness I am not alone. After having my daughter in 1997 I started using Depo as the form of my birth control. I had to stop using it after 3 years because I had debilitating headaches and migraines. After the birth of my daughter in 2000 I started using Mirena.  I started having all these strange symptoms...headaches, hair loss, fatigue, irregular heart beats, night sweats, tenderness.  I thought that since I just had my daughter maybe some of the symptoms still lingured. It has been 9 years and I am still having these symptoms, but now they are even worse. Currently this is what is happening:

headaches/migraines
fatigue
dizzy/lightheaded (sometimes)
blurred vision (sometimes)
night sweats
insomnia
yeast infections
irregular heartbeats (which I was told by the doctor to just live with)
shortness of breath
depression

I am 33 years old and I am not suppose to feel like this. Thanks to all the stories now I can tell my doctor to test me for menopause to see if that is what's going on.

Thank you!
i am 21 have 2 boys i have the iud...i have had it for 16 months since my last son was born..i recently had a uti and took an antibiotics for it but it didnt help i have all the same symptoms i did b4 light headed dizzyness.hot flashes..no sex  drive..moody...and dnt know what it could be.. i also have lots of abdominal pain...i dnt want to get pregnant cuz i had a ruptured uterus recently when i had my last son.im scared of it being  becoming something serious
Im only 29, mother of three. I have been on mirena for almost nine months. I wanted it out after three months because of nausia and constant bleeding, but the obgyn who put it in said to wait...it would get better. after 6 mos i only have occasional spoting. i'm a mma fighter and thought my symptoms we from exersising too much, untill today. It dawned on me that my mom went thru menopause at 40 and started to realize most of the weird symptoms i have been having were very similar to what i watched her go thru.   my memory is going to the dogs and that is very scary. my joints hurt and get injured much easire than ever before, i feel like i have morning sickness every day, some times I break out in sweat (enough to soak thru jeans) watching tv or my feet go numb while im exersising. my sheets are soaked some nights and others im so cold i cant stop shivering. the amount of bruising i get has quadrupled. i have no sex drive. no apitite. weird headaches like ive never had before. my self comfidance has fallen thru the floor for no out side reasons. I though they were just a bunch of unrelated things untill my mother in law said "your to young for that" and it was like a light switch went on. I just made an apointment to see a woman doctor to find out im my guess is right. this ***** and i feel bad for all of you ladies who are going thru the same thing because of that stupid IUD. I can only hope it might get better when i get the mirena out, cuz i am way to dam young to feel this old.  
Hi Ladies

Booking to have the Marena out ASAP, cant believe there are so many ladies out there with the same problem.

Please keep me informed on any complaints/ class actions that are filed, I will be glad to add my story.

OMG! After 2 years of nightmare side effects with my Mirena, it finally fell out on its own about six months ago. It was actually convenient, as my husband and I had decided to try for another baby soon anyway. Since then, I have had crazy problems with night sweats, headaches, etc, and I am not ovulating! I am going to the doctor to get my hormone levels checked next week, and I am going to be PISSED if this device has sent me into early menopause. Does anyone know anything about doctors getting "kickbacks" to push the Mirena? My doctor really seemed to want me to go with the Mirena when picking out birth control after the birth of my daughter, and when I came back to him a few months afterward to discuss the awful headaches and other side effects, he was adamant that it "could not be the IUD." Something doesn't seem right here!
I had a Mirena IUD for about 3 years. A friend told me after she had hers removed she was having irregular periods and trouble conceiving a baby. I immediately had mine removed. A year an a half later, I too am experiencing irregular (ie NO) periods. I had my LH and FSH levels checked... SEVEN times the normal limit!! Yep, menopause for me too, at age 29! Thought it may have just been a coincidence but now that I read your stories, I'm devastated. My family is not complete :(
Just saw my Endocrine specialist today ( have a high prolactin level due to pituitary tumour that i take medication to lower) anyway, now it appears that my LH and FSH are abnormally high too. I am 27 with two boys, the youngest is 13months. I too thought Mirena was a great option as we haven't ruled out the idea of a third child ina few years. The specialist said the levels could be a 'kickback' from the Mirena or early menopause. I assumed that if it is a 'kickback' then simply removing it should lower the levels? After reading these posts it seems that the damage may already be done. I have had the mirena for just over a year now. I do not recall any knowledge of it possibly causing menopause...this is scary stuff!
I just turned 23.  I have a handsome 4 year old boy, and a 3 year old princess.  I had my Mirena put in in February 2007; at my 6 week check-up.  I had some interesting side effects directly after, but assumed it was due to inserting it so close after giving birth.  I never really thought twice about it.  

I started searching on the internet because I have had very interesting symptoms in the past few years, but never deduced that it was due to the IUD.  My husband actually came up with the answer of Premature Menopause.  I couldn't believe it.  But I have all the signs.

Insomnia
Stiff Joints
Memory Loss
Excessive Sweating
Depression/Anxiousness
Vertigo
Heart Palpitations

I have had irregular periods but that has been "normal" for the duration of my IUD. Maybe a 1 day period every 3 or 4 months.

Every search I have made about linking Mirena to Premature Menopause comes up with, "because there have been no studies regarding this, it is impossible to connect the two."

Upon additional research, I have decided that I am going to schedule to have my IUD removed.  Maybe I am just being paranoid.... But I am super scared.  I'm not done having kids... I always wanted a large family.  This can't be happening!
i have been having these symptoms too, and due to a lot of other health problems i have my drs have been putting it off.  i went to my fibormyalgia specialist the other day and am being tested for perimenopause, which i am scared to death of as i want more children, my son is three and a half.  i am so glad that i found this site and can talk to other woman that are going through the same thing, as horrible and ugly as it is.  i am having the awful hot flashes, night sweats, no sleeping and then being tired all the time, brain fogginess, hair loss, mood swings, no libido, all of it.  i hope to hear from others and maybe we can compare symptoms and treatments, and hopefully one of us will find something that works.  i have a lot of faith in my dr, i see her again in six weeks, and hoepfully we can start a treatment then that will give some relief.  i look foward to hearing from others,  thanks a lot
ali
I got the IUD inserted in October of 2009 and have hated it ever since. I decided to give it a year and see if there would be any positives about it. I had my daughter at 33 and got chronic HBP from the pregnancy. After I turned 35 my doctor didn't want me on the pill anymore and the IUD seemed the only logical birth control for me.  No improvements for 11 months and I'm scheduling an appointment to have it removed this month, September.  For starters, when he inserted it, I had this horrible jolting pain on my right side. I know my uterus is tipped a little, but I really didn't think that had anything to do with the insertion as the doctor knew this from the results of my ultrasounds done previously.  I had to lie on the table for 15 mintues...I was pale and gray, felt sick to my stomach and very shaky.  I left and went home.  The whole ride home was miserable and the next 2 day after. I had bad cramps and if I bent too much or got out of a chair too quickly, I would be doubled over in pain. I called the doctor on the 3rd day and he said it was normal. Give it a week. okie dokie then. I never stopped bleeding for 3 months. Not spotting, bleeding, like a light period. Those subsided after the 3rd month and now I have a constant "leaking" sensation and discharge. No infection present. I recently have been seeing a chiropractor for a tailbone issue. He did an xray.  I noticed that my IUD was to the right side of my mid section. What? My uterus is in the middle isn't it? That concerned me and my husband. So, here are MY symptoms since I've had the IUD...extreme irritability, no sex drive (I mean ZERO), depressed feelings (I could cry at the drop of a hat), mood swings, feelings of severe bloating and constipation, pudgy lower belly, bigger boobs (good lord I'm already a D I don't need to be any bigger), "zapping" sensations in the mid section that could extend up the back as well as jabbing pains in my ovary area that have doubled me over, inability to concentrate at times, horrible memory, brain "zaps" (hard to explain but they're like "pinging" sensations in my head), WEIGHT GAIN despite how I diet and exercise. I am 5'10" tall and normally weight around 180, I am at 214 now and have not changed the eating habits I had before the IUD. My husband has been very tolerant. His only goal in life is to make me happy and I can't make him happy :( We discussed it all the other night and we cannot wait to get it out! I want my life back!  My children suffer from my horrible mood swings and irritibility. I am lazy, I have no energy, I am exhausted (for no reason), I could sleep for days, I feel sluggish and fat. Oh yes, and don't forget the zits!! I never had a zit problem, even in high school. But the gargantuate pimples that pop on my face literally overnight are so embarassing! Blurred vision, did I mention that? My thyroid has been checked and I'm fine. I did have a little bit of a Vitamin D deficiency this later winter which my regular doctor said could have contributed to the depressed feelings.  I took prescription Vitamin D and didn't feel any better. I want this thing out of my body. It's alien, I feel pregnant and probably look it too although no one would say anything, I'm embarassed about  my body, even with my husband and honestly feel that I am NOT a woman. :( I would not recommend the IUD to anyone. It's invasive and doesn't belong in your body! I'll go back to condoms!!!
I had Mirena placed to stop a heavy period that lasted 6 weeks after a DNC they put in the Mirena and soon after I was fine. 5 yrs later I had it removed and have been flooding for 25 days with a migraine well the bleeding stoppedfor 2 weeks but lastnight it was like my water broke and blood ran down my legs it has stopped again but the migraine is still here 7 weeks straight I just turned 41 two weeks ago and have been to the Doctor and the ER they all tell me I'm fine here take pills for your head. I have hot flashes like mad and heart palpations mood swings lazy depressed and back pain. I don't know what to do now.
I have to say that I almost cried after reading these posts.  I have made an appointment to have my Mirena removed this morning.  I feel like I'm carrying a cancer in my body and I want it out NOW!  

I was just told about 2 months ago that I am menopausal after just turning 41.  I had suffered with all the symptoms everyone else is mentioning, extreme fatigue, lack of libido, hair loss, extreme joint pain, hot flashes, night sweats, anxiety, irritability and extreme weight gain for 3 years or longer!  I have gone to my regular internist and to my OB/GYN complaining of all these symptoms just to be told all my blood levels were fine.  

I actually began to think I was going crazy because I felt all these things but no one could find a reason for why I was feeling like this.  On one hand, it is good to know why I felt this way and that I am not crazy but I feel like I lost 3 years of living my life with all these horrible side effects!  

Like some of you I have gone on HRT via pellet therapy.  I have felt much better since starting that treatment but am concerned about the risks that involves.  I decided I had to try it for quality of life reasons.  I have 4 children ages 6-15 and I need to be able to function for them and enjoy their lives!  

I know that having the Mirena removed is not going to reverse the menopause but I can't stand the thought of that horrible device in my body any longer.  After further internet research, I'm terrified of the side effects that can come with its removal!  

I am praying today that at least this part of this Mirena experience will go well for me and I can be done with this THING that has taken so much of my life and my family's happiness away from me!    
I am 34 years old, I had a terrible 3rd pregnancy and got the mirena inserted at my 6 week check up following delivery. Shortly there after I started having problems with pain. My back hurt, my feet hurt with every step. My hands would fall asleep just talking on my cell phone or driving with my hands on the wheel. I was diagnosed with plantar fasceitise, and when I didn't even have enough strength in my hands to use a stapler at work I started to look into seeing a rheumatologist to be evaluated for rhuematoid arthritis. I thought before I was evaluated for an autoimmune disease I should remove anyting foreign to my body. It was at this time that I found this website and made a connection between rheumatoid arthritis and my  mirena. This reinforced my decision to have it out. It was in for 4 months and has been out for 14 months. All of my pain issues have disappeared thankfully, however I have an appointment with my gyn in 12 days to discuss my possible early menopause AT 34! Luckily we are done having children, but if there is any sort of a class action lawsuit towards this drug, count me in! If I have to take hormones for the rest of my life to protect my bones and protect my heart I am going to be one ticked off chick! By the way, I'm a pharmacist and read all available provider information before I made the decision to have it inserted, these things were NOT part of the informed decision I made!
i am 25 also my daughter is now 2 in a half and the last month i have been getting lots of hot flashes and night sweets sometimes i can get up to sort laurdy and get so hot i get light headed and walk outside in the 20 degree weather for 5 mins. i also have been very terid and not wanted to do anything no sex drive and now just yesturday started spotting for the first time since i had the merina in 2 years ago i havnt called a doctor yet havnt decided if i should or will but after reading your post i have a lot of the same problems i hope the iud didnt cause all them
I am 49 years old (50 next month) and have been showing signs of menopause for the past year.  I've had very heavy periods, terrible migraines (actually, I've had those for years), terrible bloating and cramps during my menstrual cycle.  My doctor suggest Mirena in order to help reduce the symptoms of menopause.  After reading all of these posts...I'M SCARED TO DEATH!!!  I don't think I'll get the perscription filled.  The only thing my doctor said was "I just don't want you to have to pay $300 for this and then it doesn't work."  Not once did she mention the terrible side effects this IUD can have.  I have an appointment with her for a PAP in two weeks and I'll discuss it with her again, but I believe I've already made up my mind.  I guess I'll live with devil I know (UGLY MENOPAUSE SYMPTOMS) rather than the one I don't (MIRENA).  Thanks for the info ladies.
I am a 26 year old mom of 3 and i was on the marina also. I actually went yesterday and had it removed due to all the side effects i was having and how crappy i felt all the time. I only had it in for 4-5 months and 2 days after having it put in i had really bad pains in my abdoman. they were to the point that i couldnt move without being in tears from the pain! After about 2 weeks of that it subsided and i started to get really tired all the time. I was on a period from 2 days after having it put in! I would go a day or so with out really bleeding then it would start up again! I also started to loose my hair more and i was very on edge and snappy with everyone! I had hot flashes so bad that my back would just be covered in sweat even out in the cold weather of winter! I would have to take my jacket off cause i got so hot at times. I also had problems sleeping, bad headaches, my muscles started hurting, and my vision would go kinda funky every now and then and I started to gain weight fast. not only around my mid section but in my face as well! My primary doctor wants me to get blood work done to check all my levels and check my thiroid. After reading all the post from other women, I will not be surprised if my doctor tells me that i am starting to go thru " the chang of life". I am only 26 years old!!!!! I am WAY to young for this!  I advise NOT getting the marina! find another form of birth control to take. I am now on the depo shot which I have been on before and it seems to work good for me. SO PLEASE IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT GETTING THE MARINA.... DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DO NOT GET IT!!!!!!
I am 28 years old, mother of two kids ages 10 and 9. I have had the Mirena IUD for almost a year now and everything has been fine. I still have a great sex drive and no signs of my hair falling out ( which I am greatfull for) however in just the last week I have noticed that I too am very tired and achy and may be experiancing hot flashes as well. I say may be beacause i am not sure what a hot flash feels like ... Basically my neck and face feel like it's on fire, Is that what a hot flash feels like?  I dont get night chills or have a hard time sleeping. from the sounds of things it may be in my best intrest to go see my OB ASAP and have this thing removed!?!
I am 42 and had a Murina IUD for five years.  Initially I had it inserted due to heavy periods - my periods completely stopped within three months of having the thing in.  I also gained 20 pounds and developed a facial skin discoloration which my dermatologist told me was hormonal.  I've had it out for close to two years.  My periods are irregular, I am gaining even more weight, and now I am having hot flashes and night sweats.  My physician told me that it could take up to a year for the body to recover from having a Murina in and not to worry, however, it's been close to two and my body is still haywire.  I'm going to my OB GYN in March to check for premature menopause, because I really don't know what else could be causing these symptoms.
Hi ladies,

I am having the same symptoms as you after I got the marina taken out.  My symptoms include:

headaches
insomnia
acne
anxiety
extreme irritability
loss of libido
hot flashes
night sweats
vaginal dryness

I had the marina in for the full five years as well and had it removed in March of 2010.  It is now January 2011 and I have yet to have a period.  My primary care doctor did some tests and found I am in pre-mature ovarian failure.

I am going to the ob/gyn in February to make sure this in my diagnosis.  If it is and with all these other ladies facing the same condition has anyone thought of hiring a lawyer and filing a class action suit against the makers Marina.

Hello All,

At age 38 about 2 years ago I had Mirena inserted and actually thought it was a wonder drug, as I experienced little side effects and the thought of no periods was wonderful, until recently.  My weight before Mirena was about 140, and today it is now 180, nothing I do will take the weight off, I am a healthy eater and try to stay active, people kept telling me it was because I was reaching 40 and a metabolism slows down tremendously during your 40's so that is what I thought as well.  After reading all of your comments and experiences I'm finally feeling a bit relieved it's not just me.  But that is not the only thing that has happened to me, I am constanly fatigued, grouchy and have been experiencing awful hot flashes and night sweats.  I went to the doctor to have my hormone leves checked because all of my symptoms and I am in menopause at age 40.  I have since had the Mirena removed and with my doctors care am exploring options to offset these menopausal symptoms.  Needless to say I am very upset and believe that Mirena is the culprit.  Could anyone offer any advice on helping with the hot flashes holistically??

Thanks for listening!!
I am so glad I found this web site.  I am 34 years old and got Mirena put in in 2007 after the birth of my second son.  I was told of all the wonderful things about this birth control and was excited to get it put in.  About six months into having it I started feeling really crummy. Headaches, night sweats, hot flashes.  I started thinking that these were signs of menopause but I was so young.  I let it go for awhile and then they got really bad and I met with my new gyno who told me it's probably the progesterone and to get it removed and just get my tubes tied if we were done having kids. (we were). Relief. So I go in to get this stupid thing out and get my tubes tied. I emerge convinced this will be a better way. WRONG. The tubal was Dec. 2009. Throughout the year the symptoms returned and about August I noticed my periods were getting weirder; crampier, on odd days, more intense hot flashes, breast tenderness that was lasting all month. I started keeping track of this; but moreover I FELT that something inside me was really changing, shifting.  I felt this was before my son was born prematurely as well and they disregarded it as "jitters".  
  I just knew there was something going on.  In November I went for my annual to my ob/gyn with two pages of documentation  of my cycles and asked my doc about early menopause.  He threw out other stuff it could be but then said, that whenever a woman comes in with a list like I had it's real. And not to think I'm crazy.  He offered hormones right then and there, which I don't want to do.  He told me to take a good mulitvitamin because it's so hard on your body and soy would help with the hot flashes.  He said I could come back for blood work later, which I haven't basically because I already know what's going on.  
   The hot flashes are worse; i  just started having heart palpitations and the nervous, restless, itchy all over feelings.  I read Gail Sheehy's "The Silent Passage" and it was like reading my life.  I am so glad I found this site and I am not alone.  I would have never thought it was Mirena but now I am wondering if I have actually been experiencing menopause for 3 years.
OMG...I am so glad I came across this site. I have had the Mirena for 4 years now and I was planning to have it replaced in 2011. After reading the horror stories today, I will not be getting it replaced. I have a 17 & 18 (boy & girl), I am 37 and I do not want anymore children. I feel like I am in the prime of my life and now I am dealing with hot flashe, I believe it has been a year or two now. WHEN I SAY I AM FED UP, I mean exactly that. Last night was the worse, I do not like my sleep interrupted due to hot flashes. I flip the cover on flip the cover off, all night long. I also have mood swings, I am always tired, I just want to sleep, all the time!!! I never in a million years thought it was due to the Mirena, but there are too many of us with the same symptoms in a certain time period. I think I need to call my doctor today, this is crazy. But I thought about something, if removing it will not solve my problem, what is the point???? What kind of birth control can should I use now?  Any ideas??
I am both angry and in tears reading all these posts. I had my 3rd child in March 2010, in July I was done nursing and had the Mirena inserted because my husband and I decided we were done having children and I wanted a no worry birth control.  Shortly after I started losing my hair, getting headaches that I never use to get and having night sweats, I blew it off for hormones leveling out from just having a baby, by fall my symptoms included fatigue, weight loss, anxiety, depression, and mood swings, I chaulked this up to working full time, having 3 kids under 4 and taking care of my mother who was suddenly ill and then passed.  By January I decided to see a doctor because I felt like I was going crazy, my already existing symptoms now included SEVERE hot flashes and night sweats, blurred vision, memory issues, bladder control issues, ...oh and how can I forget zero sex drive, this one my husband reminds me of daily.  When I went to my primary care doctor he kept telling me it was post-partum depression...well after tyroid and numberous other blood tests the results are in...I'm 41 years old and in menopause and based on my blood results I'm measuring at the end of my menopausal years.  How is this possible?  I just had a baby a year ago.  I told him it must be the Mirena.  He referred me back to my gyno because he didn't know much about the Mirena.  Well I finally got to see my gyno yesterday and she said it's impossible it's the Mirena and that there must be an underlying issue going on because I'm too young to be in menopause but I know it has to be the Mirena, I'm getting it taken out and praying that these symptoms go away or at the least are not as severe.
    I think that the docs must be getting major kick-backs for recommending Mirena.  All my girlfriends say that their gynos highly recommended Mirena and I know my ob/gyn couldn't say enough great things about it.  Of course they're not going to say it's the Mirena if they're getting money for each one they insert.  This is just my opinion.
I too have been serching for answers to my body aches (as if I had the flu), increase in anxiety and fatigue and I dont want to forget the morning nausea and puking.  I have had a Mirena for approx 4 years and still have it.  While I am done having children I did not want to go through menopause at 41 due to an increase risk of developing osteoporsis and  breast cancer in which I have a family history.   I have many days it is difficult to get out of bed and function.  I felt to young to feel this way.  I have had labs recently for rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, but all were negative. Guess I will be scheduling an appointment with my GYN to see if I am in early menopause.
I had mirena inserted in January 2011, and just in the last few weeks or so I have started having really bad Hot Flashes.  I had it inserted for birth control, heavy periods, and after an abortion in 2008 my periods were really heavy and painful.  I started taking anit-depressants and anti-anxiety medication in March, and it has officially built up in my system.  I am up all night because I am sweating, I freeze my fiancee to death because I feel like I'm sitting outside in 105 degree weather with 100% humidity all of the time.  I am not irritable, but I can definitely attribute that to the anti-depressants, and also the lack of insomnia to them as well because they knock me out.  I am 21, 22 in 2 weeks, haven't had any children yet and really don't want to go through menopause at 22.  After reading all of these posts on this website, and also another, I am going to make an apointment to have my blood levels checked for menopause, and then make the decision whether to have the mirena removed. Is this a good idea/
I also have been recently diagnosed with a pituitary tumor. My Endocrine wants me to start medication for this. I feel there is a connection between this and the mirena. Please write back. You are the first person ever that I can relate to . Judy
Wow I thought it was just me.  I had My Merina put in in 2007 when my Son was 2 years old.  I have now had it in for 4 yrs and found out I am going into early menopause (I am 32).  I have been having a lot of the symptoms for years but the Drs never related it to the IUS so I never thought it could be the problem.  After reading all these I am going to have to make an appointment to have it removed.
Why do I get the feeling these were all written by the same person?
I have got menopause because of mirena IUD.
ive had my mirena since 08 and I have symptoms and the only thing related to it is the weight gain and the hormones and the hot flashes that go with it .but the rest of the symptoms ur listing is ur own body having the issues not bc of the mirena , stay off these sites they will depress u and make u beleive it , they have used mirena for over 50 years and if it was really that bad people would not use them and they would have done away with it a really long time ago , so please re consider ur comments
I had the Mirena IUD put in Dec 2008.  I had heavy periods for 3 months and then after that, nothing!  I was so excited not to buy tampons or pads anymore.  Then a few months I started feeling bad.  Extreme fatigue set in.  My hair was falling out.  My nails were brittle and breaking.  I started gaining weight.  I worked out 4 times a week, but was still gaining.  Working out became a chore for me.  When I would start getting my heart rate up I would start seeing stars, feeling dizzy, migraines, fatigue hit quickly.  My doctor ran an MRI on my brain and everything came back fine.  Things just started spiraling from there.  I quit working out because it was getting harder for me to get out of bed and focus on anything.  My mental clarity was gone.  I had complete brain fog.  I forget things daily and have to make lists to remember things....things I'm used to doing on a daily basis.  I have pain all over my body and my doctor has tested everything and has come to the conclusion that I have fibromyalgia.  The medication she put me on, Lyrica, was making me gain even more weight and making me feel more tired.  I got off the Lyrica and decided to live with the pain and manage it myself.  There are days I can't even get out of bed because of all the pain.  I came across this website and started seeing women having the same problems I've been having for the past 3 years!!!!  I still have the mirena in.  It never crossed my mind that the Mirena could be my problem!  I have an appointment in November with a different Gynecologist who will hopefully LISTEN to what I have to say and remove this thing!!!  I'm really thinking that I'm going through the change.  It all makes since!  

List of symptoms I've had over the past 3years:

Extreme chronic fatigue
excessive weight gain
joint and body pain
hair loss
insomnia
breast tenderness
hot flashes
night sweats
anxiety
depression
loss of libido
memory loss
brain fog
migraines
vaginal dryness

I'm so glad to see I'm not going crazy and there are other people out there that I can relate with.  Friends and Family have no idea what I've been dealing with over the past 3 years.  Thanks for starting this post!!!
Do doctors recieve kickbacks for Mirena? I've gone to my OBGYN now 2x complaining about symptoms and horror stories about mirena and asking then to take it out each time they talked me out of the removal both time they tested me for STDs and i came out negative i am in a monogomous relationship and have been for sometime. i never got bacteria vaginoses until mirena was inserted my discharge would have an odor and orange colorNot to mention hairloss moodswings, depression, anxiety and watery discharge. cramping constipation the list goes on... I still have it inside of me I need to get help please someone reveal the truth yes it protects you from pregnancy with out any real effort by you but look what its doing to our insides please I have never written about or complained about anything in my life this is serious. Why won't my doctor be willing to take my IUD out? She told me she had it and then she left on maaternity leave so when i heard that i made an appointment with the new OBGYN and she told me she had it too and it gives her no problems!!! Something is very wrong here...
Well I too have had all the same symptoms. I have seen my doctor many of times and have been told it cannot be the mirena. I am on my second mirena and have not had a period in 6 years. I have had the acne, hair growth on my face has  gotten so bad on my face month after month. I have gained over 80 pounds and can't lose the weight at all. I have stomach, leg pain, and low back pain everyday. I can't sleep at night, and my kids are always complaining how cold are house is. I have hot sweats all night,so I run my AC at 65 degrees. Headaches that are so bad I end up in the hospital. I really wanted to believe my doctor new best;however, I don't at all think any who has never tried the iud could understand the damage that it really causes. Its sad that when I look in the mirror I don't know who I'm looking at anymore. I tell my self what happen to me. What have I done wrong to have all these, headaches , stomach , leg and low back pain. Acne scares all over my face, and the horrible facial hair growth. Weight gain, heat flashes, dull looking skin and hair, no sex drive any many many more problems that the IUD have done to my life and body. I'm only 32 and I wonder every day what happen to that energetic, full of life, beautiful hair, glowing golden skin tone, I'M GETTING THIS DAMN THING OUT NEXT WEEK. BY A DIFFERENT DOCTOR...
I am 33 had this fitted nov 10, out august 2011.  Had blood tests for polysistic ovaries came back that my eggs are being released early could be a sign of early menopause.
i am just so fed up with this luckily i have got 3 boys i just wished i knew all this before 9 months of hell
Gosh, if I knew what I'd go through after Mirena my whole life would be different! First I had Mirena inserted after having my son in 2004, kept it for 5 years, no periods, no side effects, thought it was great! Then, got off it to change birth controls since my husband and I were considering having another  baby so we wanted an easy option that could be stopped quick. Well after a couple months of crazy side effects from nuva ring, I decided to go back to Mirena and wait another year to talk about another baby. Three months later, I'm diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder and a ton of other wierd stuff starts going on with me, I got major major arthritis in my feet and toes (couldn't walk most of the time) and had to be put on tons of meds. Then had two surgeries for an anal abscess on top of the other stuff, couldn't figure out where that came from. Then I decided to get the thing out (since autoimmune causes your body's immune system to attack itself and it can be worse if you have something foreign in it). Got it out and felt normal for about two months.....then had a period that lasted 8 days, one immediately after it like 7 days later, then another that I'm still on and have been on for 10 days with no sign of it stopping. And of course, this would be the time my husband and I want to have another baby...great timing :( So now I'm ESTROGEN DOMINANT which means I could be entering early menopause...thanks alot mirena, for possibly taking away any chance of having another child :( wish I could talk to the people that created this and refuse to tell everyone what it can cause, it should be taken off the market immediately!!
Would like to know if there is a lawsuit yet.  I am 42 and just found out that I am post-menopausal.  Sad - I got mirena because i wanted the option of more kids and now that has been taken away.
I am 36 and have had the mirena in for about two and a half years now.  I have been to multiple doctors regarding the symptoms mentioned above (sever headaches, fatigue, lack of sex drive, depression, night sweats, insomnia, achiness, itchy skin, NO period the after two months).  I was given  different tests but none to check my hormone levels.  I have an appointment to have it removed next week.  I will definitely ask to be tested for menopause- this experience I have had with mirena is not normal and needs to be investigated.  For the sake of other women out there who are just trying to be responsible with their bodies, we need to inform the FDA that Mirena has more serious side effects than advertised.  I feel like I was lied to and my doctors were not properly informed about Mirena.  
I had the mirena removed after a month due to severe night sweats. I am still having the night sweats 4 months after removal.  I'm about to get tested to see if it has put me into early menopause. I'm 41.  I so regret having this iud implanted in the first place. I'll be calling Bayer and the FDA to lodge complaints.
I never knew lot of people are experiencing exactly what I am I had my mirena inserted in Nov 2007, since then have been experiencing weight gain, and irritability and anxiety.  The doctor told me that it is nothing to do with mirena.  When my symptoms of depression was quite obvious the doc put me on anxiety pills, that was making me more drowsy.  Lack of motivation and no interest in anything i do..., lack of libido.   My FSH when tested was high which was showing that I have reached post menauposal stage.  I am 38 years old, and feel so terrible.  I haven't had any bleeding since I concieved , that means for 5 years nothing which was quite a nice feeling, but now that worse things have started showing up, i am concerned.  So can anyone tell what is next.  I got the mirena removed, the only thing i experienced was increase in irritability.  I have stopped my anxiety medication a month ago.  so what should I be doing now?  pls help.
I had the mirena inserted sometime last year - it has been probably been in for 6 to 9 months..
I am a divorced mother of 3 and I am 31 years old. For the past week or so I have been feeling horrific... I haven't had a period in a while but I had one this week and it has effected me like no other.. Terrible migraine like spells that last all night, back pain so bad that I had to spend tons of money on a new mattress thinking it was maybe part of the problem... I had to put a pillow under my butt and hold my knees to my chest until I fell asleep and take tylonol pm just for enough relief to get an hour of rest - I have been up until after 5am almost every night, even with the new mattress. That though is just the tip of the iceberg.
I have always been a pretty level headed and typically non emo chick. However, I have felt like I've been dragged into a terrible dark place, I feel worthless, depressed and I even broke up with the boyfriend who I loved dearly.. He wanted to marry me, he is suffering due to my issues because it is so doubtful an negative where I am that feelings of love cannot thrive here... I have even had thoughts of suicide... I am a logical person even through all of this I am thankful to have a good head on my shoulders... I asked myself "what could you be experiencing,
It reminds me of tales I've heard from my elders speaking of how bad menopause can be. Could I have menopause at such a young age?" then I thought to myself - this could only logically be possible if the merina has a side effect similar to that of menopause or even possibly causes menopause, jumping it into high gear no matter the age of the female... Note: I have also had these sporadic thick hair develope on my inner thighs which is also a sign of a loss of estrogen.
I had Mirena for 2 years and had it removed a few months ago (against my doctor's recommendation) because I just KNEW something was wrong with my body and the IUD was the reason behind it.  There is no doubt in my mind that it has caused me early-onset of menopause.  To look at pictures of myself even just three years ago... you would think it was ten.  My skin is horrible.  My once thick, beautiful long hair resides in the trash can, brushes and shower drain with in larger amounts than my scalp.  My skin is so dry and thin now.  However, the very worst of it all is that my period has not and most probably will not return after having it removed over 5 months ago.  I'm only 38 years old and dearly wanted a sibling for my 5 year old son.  Watching play so kindly with younger children breaks my heart thinking that his call to be an older brother will never be answered.

Does ANYONE know what we can do about this?  Why is this such a secret?  Why are the doctors endorsing this product so whole-heartedly when there appears to be little information to the public's avail on it's long-term effects?

I'm just absolutely sick reading everyone's comments, confirming my worst nightmare.
The Mirena has not been around for 50 yrs. Regular, non-hormone IUD's have but not any like this. The IUD's to which you are referring are normally made of plastic and copper not the same things Mirena is made of. Just wanted to clarify that. I worked for my OB/GYN for 8 yrs and still maintain a regular friendship with him. I have had both kinds of IUD's in my life and my Mirena has caused all kinds of menopausal symptoms. I am 36 and have 4 kids aged 3-16. I made an appointment with my Dr. to get it removed. He has had several patients complain of this recently he said. There are always side effects with any IUD. This one just happens to give a constant dose of Progesterone in your body.
I am 33 years old and I have a 4 year old son.  I had the Minera inserted in March of 2011 because I wasn't ready to have another child and I was separated from my partner and starting a new relationship.  I had been off of any hormone for close to 3 years and I had been using the rhythm method successfully.  My son was a choice.  However, after I had him my periods were so irregular that I decided to try the IUD.  I went through a week of nausea and a lot of spotting, but over time it cleared up and my period vanished..... WIN! Or so I thought.  I've been noticing that my sex drive is diminishing and I was someone who had an hearty appetite.  I have also noticed that I cannot manage all my activities as well anymore, I feel foggy and confused and overwhelmed.  Depression in the evenings is terrible.  I have horrible mood swings and my skin is SO itchy!  I am calling my doctor to make an appointment to have it removed tomorrow and I am also asking to have my blood work checked.   I will be shattered if I am going into early menopause because I do want to have one more child.   Thank you all for sharing and I am so sorry to hear of the horrible things this has done to you all.  If a lawsuit happens please let me know....what a horrible horrible thing :(
I had the Mirena for 2 1/2 years and have been having the same symptoms.  I have HORRIBLE dry skin, mood swings, irritability, NO SEX DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!! (I feel so bad for my husband too...but he has been very understanding).  I have also had restless legs that keep me up at night, night sweats, sweating just randomly-hot flashes!  I also have gained weight for no reason.  It's very frustating!  I am going to have some test run, as I just starting realizing that I may be in early menopause.  I'm only 28 and I would like to have another child...but I guess that may not be possible! :(  My poor 5 year old son has been begging for a little brother for quite some time now.  Guess I better find out if it's possible.  Thanks for sharing!  I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering here.
I am 44 and i have had Mirena for 4 years. I have not had any periods since this IUD devie was inserted. But a month ago I started experiencing hot flashes. If prematrure Menapause is the side effect of Mirena it is a reason for a law suit.
Glad to see someone not having problems with Mirena. I started it 2/2009 I had my reg period for 3 months after that no period. Awesome. I am 50 years old and in the last 6 months I have started feeling like I am going thru menopause. The dr did not want me to go on a IUD because I was 47 and it took 11 years for me to get pregnant then tried to get pregnant after that. I tried for 10 more years and could not get pregnant so dr said I would PROBABLY NOT get pregnant any way....whoa I don't want to be pregnant at 50...lol. Since I feel like I am going through menopause I am going to have it taken out.
Do you still have symptoms once the IUD was removed? Did your doctor put you on HRT? Did that help?
hi everyone. I too had the Mirena implanted in July 2010. I fell into a deep depression and horrible mood swings. I had it removed in July 2011 and everything got worse. I now am in Menopause (I just turned 30), I can no longer have children, and I am on Prempro HRT. My quality of life has suffered greatly because of this and it makes me so sad that I cannot have anymore children :(
I had my daughter January 2008 a few weeks after I had the mirena IUD put in I was 31 I started bleeding a lot and getting heavy cramps headaches hair loss mood swings So about a year after i Had the doc.remove it i never had a normal period again iI've been to ob after ob i even ended up going to the emergency rooms a few times too at first I would tell mention the IUD but it was like they didn't hear me within a year I was diagnosed post menopause the did a bone density scan I was told I had the very beginning stages of osteopenia here I am a year and a half later and it's now senile osteoporosis my back and joints cause me so much pain I can't stand it I have been very moody depressed and am scared cause I'm only 36 but my body feels like I'm old so they need too add premature ovarian failure to that law suite because I was told premature ovarian was uncommon but I see something we all have in common premature ovarian failure  good luck I wish us all the best cause I know this has been hard on all of us.
OMG, this is crazy!  I am 39 and just had my second Mirena inserted a month ago.  I now believe this is the reason for the return of my night sweats and other Menopausal symptoms.  All of these posts are almost exactly what I've been experiencing.  The first Mirena and night sweats I just figured were me getting older.  I am now putting two and two together.  This *****.  Thinking about having it removed.  Tired of waking up drenched and freezing and having to change my clothes in the middle of the night.  
Has anyone having the menopause symptoms had her Mirena removed and experienced improvement... things getting back to normal?
Hi i had two boys after my second one at the age of twenty I had the mirena put in the following month. It has been a year since then and I have experienced hair loss ( I'm only 21 now ) no sex drive , pains down there , every other month periods that come at random , tired, and headaches . I can't really see a doctor at the moment due to no insurence
But I wish I could this *****
OMG! I'm freaking out! I had the Copper IUD inserted a month after I had my daughter two years ago my body wasn't doing good with the IUD that was made out of copper and I thought that it was just because my body wouldn't accept the Copper, so I decided to switch over to the plastic one being the Mirena IUD and my symptoms of heat flashes and mood swings have only gotten worse and more intense! I've had a number of tests done and everything comes back normal. I have however have a benign tumor in my pituitary gland that they recently discovered  when they did an MRI because I was suffering from headaches and I thought that maybe the tests that they ran will show that the reason for the heat  flashes was in fact the tumor. All the tests show that I am perfectly fine, but, I know I'm not, I don't feel fine and the heat flashes are ALL day! I'm so scared now to think I'm going to menopause! Has anyone else with the IUD discovered a adenoma in their pituitary gland?? Could Mirena cause this? I'm calling tomorrow morning to have it removed! If I'm going through menopause, I guess I don't have to worry about getting pregnant. I'm 28 and have 2 babies, a 3 yr old and a 2yr old.
I got remarried in 2004 at 35 years of age. My husband and I were not ready to have a baby yet, but wanted to in the future. My OBGyn NP pushed the Mirena like it was the best birth control in the world. She refused to give me birth control pills because I had migraines with auras and said Mirena was my only safe alternative if I wanted to have children in the future. After LONG consideration, I agreed and had one inserted.  

The side effects started quickly, but were attributed to other things. I had suffered from cynical depression for over 10 years, but it was well controlled by medication. After receiving Mirena, I started to have horrible panic attacks, increased depression, mood swings, body aches and hair loss, just to name a few. The panic, depression and mood changes were blamed on my recent marriage stress and my psychiatrist increased my meds, adding new ones to treat the new symptoms. My periods became spotty and black, which I was told was completely normal by my OBGyn NP. She said the periods would probably stop soon all together while I was using Mirena. They did. The other side effects just got worse. I ended up having a nervous break down and being hospitalized because of the extreme psychological effects I was experiencing. It was horrible and I ended up having to leave my job as an elementary school teacher because the side effects of the Mirena, compounded by the medication used to treat them, made me unable to function.  (I as of yet, have not found another teaching position.)  After five years the Mirena came out and away went my back spasms, cramps, etc.. I was still being treated for the psychological symptoms.

When the Mirena was removed, I was told to expect a long really bad period. I waited, but nothing happened. My period never came back at all. When I went to my GP she did a blood test and said I was menopausal. Gone was the hope for another baby.

Mirena ruined my life.
I lost my dream job.
I lost my hope of another child.
I have lost my short term memory due to medication given to control panic attacks caused by the device.
I have lost my credibility as a teacher.
I have lost my home and car, because without my job, I could not pay my mortgage or payment.
I lost my pets. I can't have my cats in the new place I live.
I lost eight years of my life. I have had to battle the effects of this device.

It is absolutely maddening to know all this happened because of that tiny implant.
Wow. I want to vomit after reading this. I had the Mirena implanted after my 2nd child was born. After about a year, I felt it migrate, and was in a lot of pain. I went in to have it removed, and they couldn't find it. After going through a few agonizing "fishing trips" I had to have it surgically removed. My doctor was a complete jerk about it. I asked her to fill out a report that I could send to the manufacturer and see about reimbursing my medical expenses, or at least getting my MONEY BACK for this dud product, and she refused, saying, "this never happens." She literally said "this never happens" while she had her hand inside my uterus. Uh, yeah, I think it actually does happen, and that's why we're here.

Fast forward a few short years, and I hit menopause the moment I turned forty (no family history of early menopause). Same symptoms I've read here over and over and over.

I'd like to share that I did a lot of research and chose to go with a bio-identical hormone, because they seem to be the safest and mellowest option; I use a tiny dab of estradiol cream each morning and a tiny dab of progesterone cream at bedtime--rub it between my wrists--and it has saved my life. My hair has stopped falling out, my energy, brain and sex drive have returned, the hot flashes and night sweats have stopped, the mood swings are gone, and the vaginal dryness--which was the WORST SYMPTOM OF ALL, has totally turned around. And when I say vaginal dryness, I'm talking raisin in the sun. There's no amount or type of lubricant to fix it. I've been on bio-identical hormones for three years now, and I joke that you'll have to pry them from my cold, dead hands.

Not all docs will prescribe bio-identical hormones (maybe because there's no KICKBACK, like Mirena). I searched for a compounding pharmacy in my area, and then I asked them to provide me with a list of docs who send prescriptions their way, and that's how I found the best clinic around, and a doctor who treats patients like actual human beings.

Good luck to you, ladies--it breaks my heart to read these posts, especially from you younger gals who still want to have babies. And yes, I'm going after Mirena with everything I've got. Lawyer up, Bayer, because you are going DOWN.
I was just diagnosed with a pituitary tumor also and had iud and going through pre menopause at 38. :(
No it's worse after cause it's the real thing now.
Please help we need to file a huge lawsuit against this company. I need some justice here. I was not even close to being done with my family.
Me too... Got menopause at 35 after 5 years of Mirena - can we go for a class action? I'm in Quebec/Canada. Good luck to all of you. What a waste...

Ps. Also i got thyroide problem not long after. You?
I also had the Mirena inserted after the birth of my 1st child at 28.  During the time that I had the Mirena I experienced hot flashes constantly as we'll as exhaustion!!  Three years later we wanted to start trying for a second child and I had the Mirena removed.  My cycle was spotty and eventually just stopped.  I was diagnosed with premature ovarian insufficiency.  My dreams of giving my child a sibling are gone.  After reading this blog I would like to pursue legal action.
Wow. Your story is strikingly similar to my own. I had my first Mirena inserted in 2004 at age 34. In 2009 I had that one removed and the second one inserted. I remarried a few years ago to a man who did not have children previously (I did), so I had the Mirena removed recently to begin looking into our options. I am a very active and healthy 43 year old woman who had 2 healthy pregnancies at very young ages. I cannot say that I haven't enjoyed the convenience of not having a period in 9 years, but I was not prepared for my doctor's office to call me with my blood work results to say that I am in full on menopause!!!!!!! No wonder I've been waking at night so hot that I cannot get back to sleep the last few months. I do not know what to do now. I still need to research my options, but after reading your post, I felt I could really relate. Some of the symptoms I just thought were me, but perhaps not...
This discussion is breaking my heart, and has literally had me in tears. I'm 27 years old, and had my mirena inserted July 2009, two months after my daughter (who is now 4) was born. When I first had my mirena put in everything was fine aside from heavy vaginal bleeding after it was first put in. I've noticed gradual changes since February 2013. My symptoms are as follows: (I would have never associated these with my mirena)

*Vaginal Dryness (it's literally like the sahara desert down there)
*All day hot flashes... (I'm always running hot regardless of what I wear, or them temperature.)
*Night Sweats (My poor boyfriend freezes at night because I have to have the AC and a fan on me at night--he compares our home to a meat locker because its so cold)
*Joint pains, especially in my knees (pain, swelling, and constant cracking)
*Irregualar periods (I never know when they are coming, how heavy or light they will be, or how long they will be... I've had them be 2 weeks early, 2 weeks late, very heavy or very light... my periods always lasted 5-7 days, now they usually last 2-5 days...)
*Mood Swings (I'm surprised no one has slapped me for the crazy, irrational things I say sometimes, but it has been emotionally trying on the relationship I have with family, friends, and my boyfriend)

I'm going to my OB tomorrow for my "well womens" exam, and I'm afraid I won't be able to talk about this issue without crying. I won't be heartbroken if my child bearing days are over, but I'm far too young to be going through the life change... this is not normal, or natural, and I'm angry because no one warned me that pre-menopause was even an issue... If you know someone with and IUD, please share these stories and information.
I just found out today that I am going through menopause!  My husband and I have two beautiful children but were hoping to have another.  After missing my period for 2 months I was hoping the call from the doctor that I was pregnant instead I was told I am going through menopause!  I had a feeling it was from mirena...now I know it was.  My hearts go out to all of you.  Mine is certainly broken.  I am going to research some sort of action.  
Do NOT use the Marina IUD. I just had mine removed yesterday. I was having SEVERE hot flashes for approximately one year. The hot flashes decreased immensely, after it was removed. I NEVER considered that the IUD was causing this until after it was removed and I started studying up on it on the internet. Other symptoms I experienced were: headaches, fatigue, increased anxiety, insomnia, depression and joint pain. Please do NOT use this. In many cases, it has caused early menopause and infertility in young women. This is a BAD drug.

I also had the Mirena a few years back, I kept getting infections, so asked my doctor to remove it.  Upon removal I never received another period, went to my doctor at 37 years old he said I was going through the pre-menopause stage.  I linked it with mirena, because I just felt in my gut, that it was this that ruined the natural stages of my life.  Both my sisters who are older than me are still getting periods.  I hate that Mirena aged me and altered the way God created me.  
I too had early menopause after having the Mirena for about 2 years! I went to the dr. It was confirmed, I called Bayer, but it all happened 5 years ago in 2007. Has anyone sued Mirena for this? Please advise! What is the first step? I'd like to know before calling a lawyer.
i just had my  mirena removed, God i wish my dr never recommended it. i am 42 in full menopause, night sweats hot flashes, headaches, feeling awful. my mom went into menopause at 55 and my 52 year old sister has still to reach menopause. i am in south africa and would like to know if someone here has started legal action against the manufacturers?
I am 43 and had my 1st Mirena IUD put in about 7 years ago now due to Estrogen Dominance and I had no Progesterone according to my OB/GYN.  I was moody, crying at the drop of a hat and basically wanted to pack up my bags and leave my entire family!  After dealing with the bloating, cramping issues for about 6 weeks after insertion I felt a whole lot better and thought this was the best thing ever.  I had it replaced about 2 years ago and then started to have weird symptoms - Swelling in my hands and feet (got put on a diuretic), hair was falling out big time and then things calmed down a lot so I ignored the symptoms....until the last 4 months when I have been soooo tired that I can barely function!  I have experienced hot flashes here and there (I'll be sitting watching TV and just start to sweat out of the blue) then other times I will be freezing, headaches all the time (some migraines), bouts of insomnia, bloating when I eat anything, weight gain...the list goes on.  I thought I was going through menopause and had blood work done, but they say "NO" on that one.  Had my thyroid tested but am told things look normal there and all my other blood work looks fine.  My hormone levels are:
Estradiol (E2) - 73
FSH - 3.0
LH - 2.1
Of course, I know something isn't right just due to how I "feel" and I have already seen one Endocrinologist that totally blew me off and so my story continues to find answers!  I have to say that now I have read all these posts, I am concerned as to what will happen if I have it removed!  I'm done with kids, but this sounds all too familiar with what everyone is describing on here.
I have the exact same symptoms as you. I also have weight gain and numbness in feet. I always have been thin and now having a problem trying to keep weight off. Bloated too! I'm on my second merina and am making an appt to get it out. I had no problems with my first one but six months after this one I am realizing all the symptoms are related to my second insertion. I even had my primary care doctor do blood work. All is fine but I am miserable.
I am 31 and just found out through blood work that I am postmenopausal.  I have a couple of doctor appointments coming up, one being the removing of the IUD next Thursday.  If I get proof that the postmenopausal and whatever else I have going on with me (interstitial cystitis) is caused by the Mirena IUD then I intend on filing a suit.  We should all get together and file some sort of Petition against this drug.  I have been in the legal field for 6+ years and know that I could get some legal help.  AND if I find out that I can't have any more children, there will be hell to pay.

We all need to stick together ladies because this is unjust!
Ladies,

I had the Mirena IUD for 8 months, had all of the horrible symptoms many have mentioned. It has now been out since September 2012, and my preliminary blood tests just came back suggesting a strange imbalance - my LH levels show POST menopause (while I actually still menstruate), but my FSH levels are normal. Further testing being done in my coming cycle.... I'm 43.
I had a Mirena coil for 5 years. I had it removed as my partner and I were hoping to start the family we had crafted our lives towards. I was a healthy 37 year old at the time. Although my periods had been almost non-existent while the coil was in, they returned for 3 months after it was taken out. Tragically for me, they then stopped and blood tests confirmed that I was peri-menopausal. All my hopes of having a family have been dashed and this has totally changed my life. I am distraught, as I had worked so hard to be in the right position to be able to have children and this dream has been cruelly taken away from me and my partner. I am convinced my premature menopause is entirely due to the Mirena coil. None of the women in my family have started the menopause before their mid 50s. However, all the medical professionals I have spoken to have told me "it's just one of those things" and that there is no explanation they can offer me. I am still extremely emotional about my situation, but if someone else would take the lead in taking legal action, I would get my act together and stand firm with you. I am from the UK. My premature menopause has been the biggest tragedy of my life.
OMG!! I cant believe what I have just been reading. I am 38 and have had mirena in for last 5 years and am about to have it taken out as its due. I have been experiencing all of the menopause symptoms just more frequently now which has made me investigate further. I am gob smacked!! seriously I put the exhaustion, low libido mood swings weight gain and all the rest down to my busy stressful life. Now Im sure its this bloody mirena.
I am experiencing really bad anxiety to the point its making me sick, I have gained 20 kg in past couple of years, hot flushes, electric shock like symptoms, tingling, cranky, cranky and more cranky. I am lucky I have 4 beautiful daughters and a partner that's still around, I would have hit me on the head a long time ago. I am so disappointed that I am going through menopause and its because of this stupid bloody thing.
I am in Australia not sure if anyone else here is experiencing same.
Deb April 2014
Hi, Thought Id add my story to this blog. I was 22 yrs old on the Mirena for just over the five year mark. Reason being is the string they cut too short and couldn't remove it by hand. So they went in by surgery like getting a abortion done. Very scary i tell yea. Before the Mirena i had normal 5-7 day periods each month not to heavy but great with no cramping. Had the Mirena put in had adominal (abdominal) pains not extremely bad but there. I talked to my doctor she said they would go away. I believe they didn't cause i felt them but was now getting used to it being there. I had one normal period on the Mirena then after Non Just odd spotting here and there. Doctor said its ok it happens to some people using the mirena. But no doctor told me it wasn't a good thing. So i felt insured i would be ok. Then like all of you i got night sweats, chills, dizzy, breast tenderness, depression, moodyness, headaches. All tests my doctor did on me came back normal. Since the removal of my IUD i ended up worse with symptoms. They told me i would get a my regular period back. Nope still isn't back i have a period once a month for one day and its very light. No signs and pains to know i'm getting it either. Now i have heart palputation's ,anxiety, panic attacks, chills, joint pains, headaches, dizzyness, nausea, Dry mouth, dry vagina area, no libido, insomna, breast tenderness, Tired all the time. I've had tests after tests done due to my symptoms. Ext. Ekg, blood work after blood work, abdominal ultrasounds, xray's , ct scan on my brain. Doctor tells me my hearts healthy, No debetes, circulation is good, blood work comes back normal, urine sames came back normal, no internal infections, no bleeding or tumors in my head, Thyroid is good. So now what? I requested to get my hormones tested plus another pap test. Im now 28yrs old. Have been having unprotected sex with my partner for awhile now cause we want another child but together since my two girls are from another father. His two kids are threw another relationship. I know now that all this is due to the stupid mirena Yes it sounds good yes i was ready the possibility's of the mirena moving to other parts of your body but i had xray's and ultrasounds yearly to check the where about's. But no where at all does it say you can get preimature menopause. I'm 28 to young to go threw it and plus i wan more kids damn it.I pray to god that this isn't want it is. I will make Brayer pay for what they have done. To ruin someones life so young. I really feel for you guys that are much younger then me.
Sorry to hear all y'all are having so many problems. I have had my mirena for about a year and haven't had any of the problems all of you are talking about. It has been the only thing I've tried that curbed my heavy bleeding problems. My quality of life has improved significantly. I think there is a disproportionate number of complaints on here because the women who have mirena and not experiencing problems are not likely to go seeking out posts by others. So, I think it's important to keep that in mind.

Additionally, I've found through my research into posts across multiple websites that the overwhelming majority of women with complaints had it placed after giving birth. I firmly believe that in that time after a woman gives birth, because her hormones are all over the place, the mirena just makes everything even worse. But for women Luke me who have never been pregnant but have severely anemic cycles, it works pretty good with less issues. So, I think that's also something to keep in mind.
Thanks to all those who have endorsed their experiences about mirena. I had been to ObGyn to get rid of my heavy bleedings and PMTs right after 5th day of having periods. Now, I guess I have to give up the idea of taking in mirena. I guess, going through PMT for almost 20 days every month and going through several pains and feeling sick all day through would be far better than taking in mirena. Thanks again.