Menopause due to Mirena
I have a long hard story about my experience with the Mirena IUD.  I had my Son March of 2006.  He was a true blessing as he helped me mentally, emotionally, and physically.  I was very concerned about birth control after I had my son because I did not want to get pregnant any time soon.   I did not at all have any post partum issues it actually seemed that my hormones were even for the first time in my life.  My doctor suggested that I have Mirena inserted as it was good for 5 years and I wouldn't have to worry about all of the typical problems that birth control brings.  I wanted to do a lot of research because this was going to be a new part of my body and I was nervous, so I started out just taking the pill until I read all of the information possible.  In February 2007, I had Mirena inserted.  I had my period solid and heavy for 3 months, then did not get it at all.  In mid June, I noticed that I was feeling a bit down but blew it off thinking that I was just stressed.  All of a sudden I started to feel exhausted, wanted to sleep all of the time, I started getting severe hot flashes and night sweats, these funny brain tremors(can't even describe how bad that feeling is), losing my hair, mood swings, and absolutely no sex drive(my poor husband, he has been wonderful).  I went to my regular doctor who tested me for all sorts of things the big one being Thyroid, but everything came back normal.  Sleeping was non existant with the night sweats which made the mood that much worse.  I finally went to my OB in the beginning of November who did some tests on me and said that I was experiencing menopause.  I'm 25 and my son is only 1 1/2.  No freakin way!  He put me on Hormones (which by the way can cause every cancer in the book) and said that I will feel better within a day, but did not want to take Mirena out.  I said ok and went on my way.  I talked to many people for advice who told me to get it taken out right away and go off of the hormones.  I did that 2 days later, my OB asked no questions and I stopped taking the hormones.  I have noticed no change in how I feel, I still get hot flashes and night sweats, am still tired all of the time, losing hair, my skin is very dry and thin, I could go on forever it is only getting worse by the day.  I am strongly convinced that having Mirena in has caused the Menopause, I have had it out since the middle of November and the symptoms have gotten worse.  So my question is, has anyone or is anyone going through the same thing and does anyone know of a class action lawsuit against the makers of Mirena as there was nothing in their information that said this was going to happen.  I appreciate any feedback to ease the stress on me and my family and hopefully get some of a normal feeling back.

Thank you.
I am 33 had this fitted nov 10, out august 2011.  Had blood tests for polysistic ovaries came back that my eggs are being released early could be a sign of early menopause.
i am just so fed up with this luckily i have got 3 boys i just wished i knew all this before 9 months of hell
Gosh, if I knew what I'd go through after Mirena my whole life would be different! First I had Mirena inserted after having my son in 2004, kept it for 5 years, no periods, no side effects, thought it was great! Then, got off it to change birth controls since my husband and I were considering having another  baby so we wanted an easy option that could be stopped quick. Well after a couple months of crazy side effects from nuva ring, I decided to go back to Mirena and wait another year to talk about another baby. Three months later, I'm diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder and a ton of other wierd stuff starts going on with me, I got major major arthritis in my feet and toes (couldn't walk most of the time) and had to be put on tons of meds. Then had two surgeries for an anal abscess on top of the other stuff, couldn't figure out where that came from. Then I decided to get the thing out (since autoimmune causes your body's immune system to attack itself and it can be worse if you have something foreign in it). Got it out and felt normal for about two months.....then had a period that lasted 8 days, one immediately after it like 7 days later, then another that I'm still on and have been on for 10 days with no sign of it stopping. And of course, this would be the time my husband and I want to have another baby...great timing :( So now I'm ESTROGEN DOMINANT which means I could be entering early menopause...thanks alot mirena, for possibly taking away any chance of having another child :( wish I could talk to the people that created this and refuse to tell everyone what it can cause, it should be taken off the market immediately!!
Would like to know if there is a lawsuit yet.  I am 42 and just found out that I am post-menopausal.  Sad - I got mirena because i wanted the option of more kids and now that has been taken away.
I am 36 and have had the mirena in for about two and a half years now.  I have been to multiple doctors regarding the symptoms mentioned above (sever headaches, fatigue, lack of sex drive, depression, night sweats, insomnia, achiness, itchy skin, NO period the after two months).  I was given  different tests but none to check my hormone levels.  I have an appointment to have it removed next week.  I will definitely ask to be tested for menopause- this experience I have had with mirena is not normal and needs to be investigated.  For the sake of other women out there who are just trying to be responsible with their bodies, we need to inform the FDA that Mirena has more serious side effects than advertised.  I feel like I was lied to and my doctors were not properly informed about Mirena.  
I had the mirena removed after a month due to severe night sweats. I am still having the night sweats 4 months after removal.  I'm about to get tested to see if it has put me into early menopause. I'm 41.  I so regret having this iud implanted in the first place. I'll be calling Bayer and the FDA to lodge complaints.
I never knew lot of people are experiencing exactly what I am I had my mirena inserted in Nov 2007, since then have been experiencing weight gain, and irritability and anxiety.  The doctor told me that it is nothing to do with mirena.  When my symptoms of depression was quite obvious the doc put me on anxiety pills, that was making me more drowsy.  Lack of motivation and no interest in anything i do..., lack of libido.   My FSH when tested was high which was showing that I have reached post menauposal stage.  I am 38 years old, and feel so terrible.  I haven't had any bleeding since I concieved , that means for 5 years nothing which was quite a nice feeling, but now that worse things have started showing up, i am concerned.  So can anyone tell what is next.  I got the mirena removed, the only thing i experienced was increase in irritability.  I have stopped my anxiety medication a month ago.  so what should I be doing now?  pls help.
I had the mirena inserted sometime last year - it has been probably been in for 6 to 9 months..
I am a divorced mother of 3 and I am 31 years old. For the past week or so I have been feeling horrific... I haven't had a period in a while but I had one this week and it has effected me like no other.. Terrible migraine like spells that last all night, back pain so bad that I had to spend tons of money on a new mattress thinking it was maybe part of the problem... I had to put a pillow under my butt and hold my knees to my chest until I fell asleep and take tylonol pm just for enough relief to get an hour of rest - I have been up until after 5am almost every night, even with the new mattress. That though is just the tip of the iceberg.
I have always been a pretty level headed and typically non emo chick. However, I have felt like I've been dragged into a terrible dark place, I feel worthless, depressed and I even broke up with the boyfriend who I loved dearly.. He wanted to marry me, he is suffering due to my issues because it is so doubtful an negative where I am that feelings of love cannot thrive here... I have even had thoughts of suicide... I am a logical person even through all of this I am thankful to have a good head on my shoulders... I asked myself "what could you be experiencing,
It reminds me of tales I've heard from my elders speaking of how bad menopause can be. Could I have menopause at such a young age?" then I thought to myself - this could only logically be possible if the merina has a side effect similar to that of menopause or even possibly causes menopause, jumping it into high gear no matter the age of the female... Note: I have also had these sporadic thick hair develope on my inner thighs which is also a sign of a loss of estrogen.
I had Mirena for 2 years and had it removed a few months ago (against my doctor's recommendation) because I just KNEW something was wrong with my body and the IUD was the reason behind it.  There is no doubt in my mind that it has caused me early-onset of menopause.  To look at pictures of myself even just three years ago... you would think it was ten.  My skin is horrible.  My once thick, beautiful long hair resides in the trash can, brushes and shower drain with in larger amounts than my scalp.  My skin is so dry and thin now.  However, the very worst of it all is that my period has not and most probably will not return after having it removed over 5 months ago.  I'm only 38 years old and dearly wanted a sibling for my 5 year old son.  Watching play so kindly with younger children breaks my heart thinking that his call to be an older brother will never be answered.

Does ANYONE know what we can do about this?  Why is this such a secret?  Why are the doctors endorsing this product so whole-heartedly when there appears to be little information to the public's avail on it's long-term effects?

I'm just absolutely sick reading everyone's comments, confirming my worst nightmare.
The Mirena has not been around for 50 yrs. Regular, non-hormone IUD's have but not any like this. The IUD's to which you are referring are normally made of plastic and copper not the same things Mirena is made of. Just wanted to clarify that. I worked for my OB/GYN for 8 yrs and still maintain a regular friendship with him. I have had both kinds of IUD's in my life and my Mirena has caused all kinds of menopausal symptoms. I am 36 and have 4 kids aged 3-16. I made an appointment with my Dr. to get it removed. He has had several patients complain of this recently he said. There are always side effects with any IUD. This one just happens to give a constant dose of Progesterone in your body.
I am 33 years old and I have a 4 year old son.  I had the Minera inserted in March of 2011 because I wasn't ready to have another child and I was separated from my partner and starting a new relationship.  I had been off of any hormone for close to 3 years and I had been using the rhythm method successfully.  My son was a choice.  However, after I had him my periods were so irregular that I decided to try the IUD.  I went through a week of nausea and a lot of spotting, but over time it cleared up and my period vanished..... WIN! Or so I thought.  I've been noticing that my sex drive is diminishing and I was someone who had an hearty appetite.  I have also noticed that I cannot manage all my activities as well anymore, I feel foggy and confused and overwhelmed.  Depression in the evenings is terrible.  I have horrible mood swings and my skin is SO itchy!  I am calling my doctor to make an appointment to have it removed tomorrow and I am also asking to have my blood work checked.   I will be shattered if I am going into early menopause because I do want to have one more child.   Thank you all for sharing and I am so sorry to hear of the horrible things this has done to you all.  If a lawsuit happens please let me know....what a horrible horrible thing :(
I had the Mirena for 2 1/2 years and have been having the same symptoms.  I have HORRIBLE dry skin, mood swings, irritability, NO SEX DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!! (I feel so bad for my husband too...but he has been very understanding).  I have also had restless legs that keep me up at night, night sweats, sweating just randomly-hot flashes!  I also have gained weight for no reason.  It's very frustating!  I am going to have some test run, as I just starting realizing that I may be in early menopause.  I'm only 28 and I would like to have another child...but I guess that may not be possible! :(  My poor 5 year old son has been begging for a little brother for quite some time now.  Guess I better find out if it's possible.  Thanks for sharing!  I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering here.
I am 44 and i have had Mirena for 4 years. I have not had any periods since this IUD devie was inserted. But a month ago I started experiencing hot flashes. If prematrure Menapause is the side effect of Mirena it is a reason for a law suit.
Glad to see someone not having problems with Mirena. I started it 2/2009 I had my reg period for 3 months after that no period. Awesome. I am 50 years old and in the last 6 months I have started feeling like I am going thru menopause. The dr did not want me to go on a IUD because I was 47 and it took 11 years for me to get pregnant then tried to get pregnant after that. I tried for 10 more years and could not get pregnant so dr said I would PROBABLY NOT get pregnant any way....whoa I don't want to be pregnant at 50...lol. Since I feel like I am going through menopause I am going to have it taken out.
Do you still have symptoms once the IUD was removed? Did your doctor put you on HRT? Did that help?
hi everyone. I too had the Mirena implanted in July 2010. I fell into a deep depression and horrible mood swings. I had it removed in July 2011 and everything got worse. I now am in Menopause (I just turned 30), I can no longer have children, and I am on Prempro HRT. My quality of life has suffered greatly because of this and it makes me so sad that I cannot have anymore children :(
I had my daughter January 2008 a few weeks after I had the mirena IUD put in I was 31 I started bleeding a lot and getting heavy cramps headaches hair loss mood swings So about a year after i Had the doc.remove it i never had a normal period again iI've been to ob after ob i even ended up going to the emergency rooms a few times too at first I would tell mention the IUD but it was like they didn't hear me within a year I was diagnosed post menopause the did a bone density scan I was told I had the very beginning stages of osteopenia here I am a year and a half later and it's now senile osteoporosis my back and joints cause me so much pain I can't stand it I have been very moody depressed and am scared cause I'm only 36 but my body feels like I'm old so they need too add premature ovarian failure to that law suite because I was told premature ovarian was uncommon but I see something we all have in common premature ovarian failure  good luck I wish us all the best cause I know this has been hard on all of us.
OMG, this is crazy!  I am 39 and just had my second Mirena inserted a month ago.  I now believe this is the reason for the return of my night sweats and other Menopausal symptoms.  All of these posts are almost exactly what I've been experiencing.  The first Mirena and night sweats I just figured were me getting older.  I am now putting two and two together.  This *****.  Thinking about having it removed.  Tired of waking up drenched and freezing and having to change my clothes in the middle of the night.  
Has anyone having the menopause symptoms had her Mirena removed and experienced improvement... things getting back to normal?
Hi i had two boys after my second one at the age of twenty I had the mirena put in the following month. It has been a year since then and I have experienced hair loss ( I'm only 21 now ) no sex drive , pains down there , every other month periods that come at random , tired, and headaches . I can't really see a doctor at the moment due to no insurence
But I wish I could this *****
OMG! I'm freaking out! I had the Copper IUD inserted a month after I had my daughter two years ago my body wasn't doing good with the IUD that was made out of copper and I thought that it was just because my body wouldn't accept the Copper, so I decided to switch over to the plastic one being the Mirena IUD and my symptoms of heat flashes and mood swings have only gotten worse and more intense! I've had a number of tests done and everything comes back normal. I have however have a benign tumor in my pituitary gland that they recently discovered  when they did an MRI because I was suffering from headaches and I thought that maybe the tests that they ran will show that the reason for the heat  flashes was in fact the tumor. All the tests show that I am perfectly fine, but, I know I'm not, I don't feel fine and the heat flashes are ALL day! I'm so scared now to think I'm going to menopause! Has anyone else with the IUD discovered a adenoma in their pituitary gland?? Could Mirena cause this? I'm calling tomorrow morning to have it removed! If I'm going through menopause, I guess I don't have to worry about getting pregnant. I'm 28 and have 2 babies, a 3 yr old and a 2yr old.
I got remarried in 2004 at 35 years of age. My husband and I were not ready to have a baby yet, but wanted to in the future. My OBGyn NP pushed the Mirena like it was the best birth control in the world. She refused to give me birth control pills because I had migraines with auras and said Mirena was my only safe alternative if I wanted to have children in the future. After LONG consideration, I agreed and had one inserted.  

The side effects started quickly, but were attributed to other things. I had suffered from cynical depression for over 10 years, but it was well controlled by medication. After receiving Mirena, I started to have horrible panic attacks, increased depression, mood swings, body aches and hair loss, just to name a few. The panic, depression and mood changes were blamed on my recent marriage stress and my psychiatrist increased my meds, adding new ones to treat the new symptoms. My periods became spotty and black, which I was told was completely normal by my OBGyn NP. She said the periods would probably stop soon all together while I was using Mirena. They did. The other side effects just got worse. I ended up having a nervous break down and being hospitalized because of the extreme psychological effects I was experiencing. It was horrible and I ended up having to leave my job as an elementary school teacher because the side effects of the Mirena, compounded by the medication used to treat them, made me unable to function.  (I as of yet, have not found another teaching position.)  After five years the Mirena came out and away went my back spasms, cramps, etc.. I was still being treated for the psychological symptoms.

When the Mirena was removed, I was told to expect a long really bad period. I waited, but nothing happened. My period never came back at all. When I went to my GP she did a blood test and said I was menopausal. Gone was the hope for another baby.

Mirena ruined my life.
I lost my dream job.
I lost my hope of another child.
I have lost my short term memory due to medication given to control panic attacks caused by the device.
I have lost my credibility as a teacher.
I have lost my home and car, because without my job, I could not pay my mortgage or payment.
I lost my pets. I can't have my cats in the new place I live.
I lost eight years of my life. I have had to battle the effects of this device.

It is absolutely maddening to know all this happened because of that tiny implant.
Wow. I want to vomit after reading this. I had the Mirena implanted after my 2nd child was born. After about a year, I felt it migrate, and was in a lot of pain. I went in to have it removed, and they couldn't find it. After going through a few agonizing "fishing trips" I had to have it surgically removed. My doctor was a complete jerk about it. I asked her to fill out a report that I could send to the manufacturer and see about reimbursing my medical expenses, or at least getting my MONEY BACK for this dud product, and she refused, saying, "this never happens." She literally said "this never happens" while she had her hand inside my uterus. Uh, yeah, I think it actually does happen, and that's why we're here.

Fast forward a few short years, and I hit menopause the moment I turned forty (no family history of early menopause). Same symptoms I've read here over and over and over.

I'd like to share that I did a lot of research and chose to go with a bio-identical hormone, because they seem to be the safest and mellowest option; I use a tiny dab of estradiol cream each morning and a tiny dab of progesterone cream at bedtime--rub it between my wrists--and it has saved my life. My hair has stopped falling out, my energy, brain and sex drive have returned, the hot flashes and night sweats have stopped, the mood swings are gone, and the vaginal dryness--which was the WORST SYMPTOM OF ALL, has totally turned around. And when I say vaginal dryness, I'm talking raisin in the sun. There's no amount or type of lubricant to fix it. I've been on bio-identical hormones for three years now, and I joke that you'll have to pry them from my cold, dead hands.

Not all docs will prescribe bio-identical hormones (maybe because there's no KICKBACK, like Mirena). I searched for a compounding pharmacy in my area, and then I asked them to provide me with a list of docs who send prescriptions their way, and that's how I found the best clinic around, and a doctor who treats patients like actual human beings.

Good luck to you, ladies--it breaks my heart to read these posts, especially from you younger gals who still want to have babies. And yes, I'm going after Mirena with everything I've got. Lawyer up, Bayer, because you are going DOWN.
I was just diagnosed with a pituitary tumor also and had iud and going through pre menopause at 38. :(
I had all of this too. Is there any way we can sue?
No it's worse after cause it's the real thing now.
Please help we need to file a huge lawsuit against this company. I need some justice here. I was not even close to being done with my family.
Me too... Got menopause at 35 after 5 years of Mirena - can we go for a class action? I'm in Quebec/Canada. Good luck to all of you. What a waste...

Ps. Also i got thyroide problem not long after. You?
I also had the Mirena inserted after the birth of my 1st child at 28.  During the time that I had the Mirena I experienced hot flashes constantly as we'll as exhaustion!!  Three years later we wanted to start trying for a second child and I had the Mirena removed.  My cycle was spotty and eventually just stopped.  I was diagnosed with premature ovarian insufficiency.  My dreams of giving my child a sibling are gone.  After reading this blog I would like to pursue legal action.
Wow. Your story is strikingly similar to my own. I had my first Mirena inserted in 2004 at age 34. In 2009 I had that one removed and the second one inserted. I remarried a few years ago to a man who did not have children previously (I did), so I had the Mirena removed recently to begin looking into our options. I am a very active and healthy 43 year old woman who had 2 healthy pregnancies at very young ages. I cannot say that I haven't enjoyed the convenience of not having a period in 9 years, but I was not prepared for my doctor's office to call me with my blood work results to say that I am in full on menopause!!!!!!! No wonder I've been waking at night so hot that I cannot get back to sleep the last few months. I do not know what to do now. I still need to research my options, but after reading your post, I felt I could really relate. Some of the symptoms I just thought were me, but perhaps not...
This discussion is breaking my heart, and has literally had me in tears. I'm 27 years old, and had my mirena inserted July 2009, two months after my daughter (who is now 4) was born. When I first had my mirena put in everything was fine aside from heavy vaginal bleeding after it was first put in. I've noticed gradual changes since February 2013. My symptoms are as follows: (I would have never associated these with my mirena)

*Vaginal Dryness (it's literally like the sahara desert down there)
*All day hot flashes... (I'm always running hot regardless of what I wear, or them temperature.)
*Night Sweats (My poor boyfriend freezes at night because I have to have the AC and a fan on me at night--he compares our home to a meat locker because its so cold)
*Joint pains, especially in my knees (pain, swelling, and constant cracking)
*Irregualar periods (I never know when they are coming, how heavy or light they will be, or how long they will be... I've had them be 2 weeks early, 2 weeks late, very heavy or very light... my periods always lasted 5-7 days, now they usually last 2-5 days...)
*Mood Swings (I'm surprised no one has slapped me for the crazy, irrational things I say sometimes, but it has been emotionally trying on the relationship I have with family, friends, and my boyfriend)

I'm going to my OB tomorrow for my "well womens" exam, and I'm afraid I won't be able to talk about this issue without crying. I won't be heartbroken if my child bearing days are over, but I'm far too young to be going through the life change... this is not normal, or natural, and I'm angry because no one warned me that pre-menopause was even an issue... If you know someone with and IUD, please share these stories and information.
I just found out today that I am going through menopause!  My husband and I have two beautiful children but were hoping to have another.  After missing my period for 2 months I was hoping the call from the doctor that I was pregnant instead I was told I am going through menopause!  I had a feeling it was from mirena...now I know it was.  My hearts go out to all of you.  Mine is certainly broken.  I am going to research some sort of action.  
Do NOT use the Marina IUD. I just had mine removed yesterday. I was having SEVERE hot flashes for approximately one year. The hot flashes decreased immensely, after it was removed. I NEVER considered that the IUD was causing this until after it was removed and I started studying up on it on the internet. Other symptoms I experienced were: headaches, fatigue, increased anxiety, insomnia, depression and joint pain. Please do NOT use this. In many cases, it has caused early menopause and infertility in young women. This is a BAD drug.

I also had the Mirena a few years back, I kept getting infections, so asked my doctor to remove it.  Upon removal I never received another period, went to my doctor at 37 years old he said I was going through the pre-menopause stage.  I linked it with mirena, because I just felt in my gut, that it was this that ruined the natural stages of my life.  Both my sisters who are older than me are still getting periods.  I hate that Mirena aged me and altered the way God created me.  
I too had early menopause after having the Mirena for about 2 years! I went to the dr. It was confirmed, I called Bayer, but it all happened 5 years ago in 2007. Has anyone sued Mirena for this? Please advise! What is the first step? I'd like to know before calling a lawyer.
i just had my  mirena removed, God i wish my dr never recommended it. i am 42 in full menopause, night sweats hot flashes, headaches, feeling awful. my mom went into menopause at 55 and my 52 year old sister has still to reach menopause. i am in south africa and would like to know if someone here has started legal action against the manufacturers?
I am 43 and had my 1st Mirena IUD put in about 7 years ago now due to Estrogen Dominance and I had no Progesterone according to my OB/GYN.  I was moody, crying at the drop of a hat and basically wanted to pack up my bags and leave my entire family!  After dealing with the bloating, cramping issues for about 6 weeks after insertion I felt a whole lot better and thought this was the best thing ever.  I had it replaced about 2 years ago and then started to have weird symptoms - Swelling in my hands and feet (got put on a diuretic), hair was falling out big time and then things calmed down a lot so I ignored the symptoms....until the last 4 months when I have been soooo tired that I can barely function!  I have experienced hot flashes here and there (I'll be sitting watching TV and just start to sweat out of the blue) then other times I will be freezing, headaches all the time (some migraines), bouts of insomnia, bloating when I eat anything, weight gain...the list goes on.  I thought I was going through menopause and had blood work done, but they say "NO" on that one.  Had my thyroid tested but am told things look normal there and all my other blood work looks fine.  My hormone levels are:
Estradiol (E2) - 73
FSH - 3.0
LH - 2.1
Of course, I know something isn't right just due to how I "feel" and I have already seen one Endocrinologist that totally blew me off and so my story continues to find answers!  I have to say that now I have read all these posts, I am concerned as to what will happen if I have it removed!  I'm done with kids, but this sounds all too familiar with what everyone is describing on here.
I have the exact same symptoms as you. I also have weight gain and numbness in feet. I always have been thin and now having a problem trying to keep weight off. Bloated too! I'm on my second merina and am making an appt to get it out. I had no problems with my first one but six months after this one I am realizing all the symptoms are related to my second insertion. I even had my primary care doctor do blood work. All is fine but I am miserable.
I am 31 and just found out through blood work that I am postmenopausal.  I have a couple of doctor appointments coming up, one being the removing of the IUD next Thursday.  If I get proof that the postmenopausal and whatever else I have going on with me (interstitial cystitis) is caused by the Mirena IUD then I intend on filing a suit.  We should all get together and file some sort of Petition against this drug.  I have been in the legal field for 6+ years and know that I could get some legal help.  AND if I find out that I can't have any more children, there will be hell to pay.

We all need to stick together ladies because this is unjust!
Ladies,

I had the Mirena IUD for 8 months, had all of the horrible symptoms many have mentioned. It has now been out since September 2012, and my preliminary blood tests just came back suggesting a strange imbalance - my LH levels show POST menopause (while I actually still menstruate), but my FSH levels are normal. Further testing being done in my coming cycle.... I'm 43.
I had a Mirena coil for 5 years. I had it removed as my partner and I were hoping to start the family we had crafted our lives towards. I was a healthy 37 year old at the time. Although my periods had been almost non-existent while the coil was in, they returned for 3 months after it was taken out. Tragically for me, they then stopped and blood tests confirmed that I was peri-menopausal. All my hopes of having a family have been dashed and this has totally changed my life. I am distraught, as I had worked so hard to be in the right position to be able to have children and this dream has been cruelly taken away from me and my partner. I am convinced my premature menopause is entirely due to the Mirena coil. None of the women in my family have started the menopause before their mid 50s. However, all the medical professionals I have spoken to have told me "it's just one of those things" and that there is no explanation they can offer me. I am still extremely emotional about my situation, but if someone else would take the lead in taking legal action, I would get my act together and stand firm with you. I am from the UK. My premature menopause has been the biggest tragedy of my life.
OMG!! I cant believe what I have just been reading. I am 38 and have had mirena in for last 5 years and am about to have it taken out as its due. I have been experiencing all of the menopause symptoms just more frequently now which has made me investigate further. I am gob smacked!! seriously I put the exhaustion, low libido mood swings weight gain and all the rest down to my busy stressful life. Now Im sure its this bloody mirena.
I am experiencing really bad anxiety to the point its making me sick, I have gained 20 kg in past couple of years, hot flushes, electric shock like symptoms, tingling, cranky, cranky and more cranky. I am lucky I have 4 beautiful daughters and a partner that's still around, I would have hit me on the head a long time ago. I am so disappointed that I am going through menopause and its because of this stupid bloody thing.
I am in Australia not sure if anyone else here is experiencing same.
Deb April 2014
Hi, Thought Id add my story to this blog. I was 22 yrs old on the Mirena for just over the five year mark. Reason being is the string they cut too short and couldn't remove it by hand. So they went in by surgery like getting a abortion done. Very scary i tell yea. Before the Mirena i had normal 5-7 day periods each month not to heavy but great with no cramping. Had the Mirena put in had adominal pains not extremely bad but there. I talked to my doctor she said they would go away. I believe they didn't cause i felt them but was now getting used to it being there. I had one normal period on the Mirena then after Non Just odd spotting here and there. Doctor said its ok it happens to some people using the mirena. But no doctor told me it wasn't a good thing. So i felt insured i would be ok. Then like all of you i got night sweats, chills, dizzy, breast tenderness, depression, moodyness, headaches. All tests my doctor did on me came back normal. Since the removal of my IUD i ended up worse with symptoms. They told me i would get a my regular period back. Nope still isn't back i have a period once a month for one day and its very light. No signs and pains to know i'm getting it either. Now i have heart palputation's ,anxiety, panic attacks, chills, joint pains, headaches, dizzyness, nausea, Dry mouth, dry vagina area, no libido, insomna, breast tenderness, Tired all the time. I've had tests after tests done due to my symptoms. Ext. Ekg, blood work after blood work, abdominal ultrasounds, xray's , ct scan on my brain. Doctor tells me my hearts healthy, No debetes, circulation is good, blood work comes back normal, urine sames came back normal, no internal infections, no bleeding or tumors in my head, Thyroid is good. So now what? I requested to get my hormones tested plus another pap test. Im now 28yrs old. Have been having unprotected sex with my partner for awhile now cause we want another child but together since my two girls are from another father. His two kids are threw another relationship. I know now that all this is due to the stupid mirena Yes it sounds good yes i was ready the possibility's of the mirena moving to other parts of your body but i had xray's and ultrasounds yearly to check the where about's. But no where at all does it say you can get preimature menopause. I'm 28 to young to go threw it and plus i wan more kids damn it.I pray to god that this isn't want it is. I will make Brayer pay for what they have done. To ruin someones life so young. I really feel for you guys that are much younger then me.
Sorry to hear all y'all are having so many problems. I have had my mirena for about a year and haven't had any of the problems all of you are talking about. It has been the only thing I've tried that curbed my heavy bleeding problems. My quality of life has improved significantly. I think there is a disproportionate number of complaints on here because the women who have mirena and not experiencing problems are not likely to go seeking out posts by others. So, I think it's important to keep that in mind.

Additionally, I've found through my research into posts across multiple websites that the overwhelming majority of women with complaints had it placed after giving birth. I firmly believe that in that time after a woman gives birth, because her hormones are all over the place, the mirena just makes everything even worse. But for women Luke me who have never been pregnant but have severely anemic cycles, it works pretty good with less issues. So, I think that's also something to keep in mind.
Thanks to all those who have endorsed their experiences about mirena. I had been to ObGyn to get rid of my heavy bleedings and PMTs right after 5th day of having periods. Now, I guess I have to give up the idea of taking in mirena. I guess, going through PMT for almost 20 days every month and going through several pains and feeling sick all day through would be far better than taking in mirena. Thanks again.
This makes for an interesting read. I just turned 43 in December of 2014. About 4 weeks ago, I began experiencing hot flashes and night sweats. I wasn't quite sure what was going on. I have had mirena for the last 10 years. I went to the Drs. last Friday and had blood work done since I haven't had a normal period for the last 10 years. My levels (in all areas) are so low she is running my blood again in two weeks. this kind of leads me to believe that she doesn't even believe the results.

At this point I am in Post Menopause. I am really not sure if it is due to the mirena or what, I honestly haven't asked my mother when she went through it since all the research I have done has pointed to it being pretty much hereditary. But I am beginning to wonder now if it is related to the fact that I have had mirena for so long.
Omg, I am so distressed reading these posts. I have all the symptoms as mentioned by previous women. I have had my Mirena 5 years now ready to be removed. I had no idea the symptoms I was experiencing were related to this device. Most recently it has been the headaches, hair loss, not having the ability to get out of bed because of constant loss of energy and constant tiredness, no sex drive for the past 4 years. Is there any hope of really restoring our natural vitality and health. No more artificial remedies!!!! I live in the UK. What can be done? Can you pass on the info for bio-identical hormone replacement therapy please?  HELP!!!!!!!!!!
I'm a 37 year old mother of 1. I'm due to have my Mirena replaced in another month. Overall I've been very pleased and had no major problems that I thought were associated with the Mirena.  But after reading this I'm seriously wondering if I'm going through menopause.  

I've been researching causes of my weight gain in the past year which is over 40 lbs. The thought recently crossed my mind that maybe it had something to do with my Mirena because I'm in my 5th year with it. That's how I came across these postings.

I too had blood work done to check my thyroid and kidneys because of the excessive weight gain. I was bummed to find out that all my levels fell within normal.

I'm experiencing many of the same symptoms:
headaches 
excessive bloating 
excessive weight gain 
no response to exercise 
hair loss 
insomnia 
acne 
anxiety 
joint pain 
itchiness
extreme chronic fatigue 
breast tenderness 
hot flashes 
night sweats 
memory loss 
brain fog 
migraines 
vaginal dryness
numbness in hands
Well, well, well look at what we have here. I'm 32 years old, I have a 15 yr old, an 11 yr old, and a 5 month old. After my second child I had the mirena put in for 3 yrs. The whole 3 yrs I bothered with bacteria infection, dizziness, hot flashes,night sweats, no periods, forgetful, joint pain, and more more more. I kept going to my OBGYN complaining of all this and he kept saying you are ok, Blah Blah Blah........ Since I had it taken out I still have the same problems. I got married in 2012 and we decided we was going to have another baby. Well, of course I don't have periods so I don't know when I'm ovaluating. My OBGYN suggested that I take some progesterone and yes it worked but after the baby my body went back the same way. I do think this cause menopause!!!!
If you asked me about Mirena last year, I would have told you that it is awesome.  I am 37 and have two kids.  I had Mirena inserted in 2013 because husband and I decided that we don't want more kids.  I stopped having periods on Mirena and experienced no unpleasant side effects until September 2015.  I started to experience menopause symptoms such as extreme fatigue and hot flashes.  I had two tests to  measure estrogen and FSH and they both confirmed that I have the hormone level of a menopausal women.  Since I was perfectly fine before Mirena (regular period, very mild PMS, no infertility or any other female problems), I became suspicious of Mirena.  Maybe I was the small percentage of the population who have adverse effect on Mirena.  I had it taken out in October 2015.  I was planning to go on hormone replacement therapy until my period started in Jan 2016.  I even had an ultrasound to see if I have any kind of growth on my ovaries causing abnormal estrogen production and everything came back normal.  We will see if my body will cycle normally from now on.    

I can't find any papers from Pubmed regarding progestin (active ingredient of Mirena) causes early menopause.  There was one obscure paper done on animals regarding progesterone receptors downregulating estrogen, but I can't seem to find it again.  I do wonder if some of the rare side effects were deemed statistically insignificant during the research phase of Mirena.  Regardless if you think my experience was proof or anecdotal evidence, having irregular period before the normal menopause age is a sign of trouble.  Mirena stopped my period all together for two years, so I couldn't monitor my body until the symptoms became too obvious.
I'm 38 and have had these same symptoms, with confirmed menopause by my OBGYN . I have had these terrible symptoms since I was 33, and right after the birth of my son in 2012.  I had the Mirena out in Oct. 2012, and started having symptoms of menopause and infection 3 months later. I thought I was going crazy, but when I went to my OBGYN she confirmed my estrogen and FSH levels were low and I was in early menopause at 33! I have no hx of early menopause in my family at all. The symptoms really have not gone away, while I have tried Bio Iden. HRT, and hormone patches, natural tx, etc. I have gained 30 pounds, maybe more, have no sex desire, sleep probems, loosing hair, and brittle hair, hot flashes, night sweats, moodiness is awfu! My hair is turning gray more so now as well, plus I just basically have no energy, or happy feelings like my old self. Its sad and makes me so upset. My doctor says it is not related to the Mirena, but seeing all these other posts make me believe otherwise, We all need to contact the maker to complain. Can someone post the contact info to start this process??
Thanks to all of you and I pray for this IUD to be taken off the market to prevent other young women from facing this as we have!

Melissa P.
North Carolina
Im 27, i went threw early menopause at 26 due to the mirena.... I got it placed after i had my daughter and had it removed in OCT 2015 to try for a 2ed baby... It is now NOV 2017.. I was put on meds and had all the test done but nothing has helped... I havent had a period sense it was placed in 2012... Even after removal 2yrs ago... Still Nothing..