Mirena IUD pregnancy symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Mirena IUD pregnancy symptoms

Hi guys!  I had a mirena inserted in march 06, i bleed for 2mths straight and then stopped, and got a normal period a month later.  I am 3weeks over due for my period, im always tired, frequent urination, weight gain (eating heaps)...and feeling sick like i want to vomit.  I have also had problems with my bowels (which is common in my pregnancies).  I have three children already oldest is 3 and the young 8mths.  I have got pregnant on the pill, the implant (in the arm)...and im scared im pregnant again.  I had a home preg test which came up neg, then a week later it came up lightly positive.  Just to make sure i took another one three days later and it came up neg.....what is going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love Rosalind
Viewing 1-200 comments:
Have you been checking your strings? its highly unlikely that you are preg.  The failure rate for the IUD is very low.  And you also have a neg. HPT. If you have been checking your strings and if they havent changed in length than you would be fine. Guess your best bet it to go to your doctor if your still not sure.

Its funny i got my IUD in march this year also.  I might have to take mine out, i'm having to much pain.
wow your in the same boat as me i fell pregnant with my first with the implanon implant and with my 2nd when my first was only six weeks old while i was on the mini pill and breastfeeding my dd is 5 weeks old today they are less then a year apart my doctor is trying to get me to get the iud mirena anythings possible hey they say the implanon implant is safer as its there always not needing to check stringd take pill at same time of the day ect good luck to you let us no how it turns out.
I have had my iud for a year and a half and it hurt like none other when they put it in. Does anyone get really bad cramps from the iud after sex?
I even get sharp pains like shocking pain when im just standing or sitting I dont understand. Is it supposed to hurt this bad and this long after it was inserted?
I had mine put in 2/20/06 which is a little over 2 yrs ago.. I am going throught the lovely signs of pregnancy also.. I have NEVER been late with a period since I had this thing put in. At the college I work at, the doctor told me that after 2 years they are no good anymore.. I know they say 5 yrs. but he said they are lying.. I had a few doctors tell me this actually. Are women just not made for birthcontrol? geez I tell ya. I am taking a test this week and than again next if I don't start by next week. I have 2 kids already. The second was conceived while on the patch.. hmm..
whoa! That much drama? Now, :S I'm scared! I am supposed to be getting one implanted in.  I heard it only bleeds for two months then you get ur life back to normal  I never knew it was that much pain afterwards.... :S AHHH
I had mine inserted this past Feb.  I just started having the exact same symptoms.  I am going to take a hpt.  Let me know if you find out whats causing your problems.  
I am having craziness with my Mirena too. I got mine in October 2007. I have had it checked once because I could not find the strings. The doc said it was still there so I was not worried. Well now I have horrible acne, oily hair/skin and have gained a ton of weight. I had to buy bigger jeans and now they are too tight too. I have not had my period since I got it. But I am slightly worried I am pregnant. I have gained weight, my feet/ankles are swollen and have grown (I wear an 8 1/2 shoe and have for several years. I attempted to buy shoes for a wedding the other night and a 9 1/2 was too small) , I am eating tons, I have pain after sex, I am tired all the time, my boobs have grown and are tender sometimes. I do not have any children and I have PCOS so I have no idea what my body would be like pregnant. I am worried though. I have an appointment to get mine taken out on July 11. If anyone can shed any light for me I would appreciate it.
Hey I have had mine for over a year now and I am worried that I am pregnant. I had my period with the IUD for a couple of months and then it stopped all together. Last month it started andhas not stopped. It's not heavy but it is consistant. I have no idea what this means or if it could be a sign of pregnancy with a IUD. I already have three children and I am in no way prepared for a 4th. Also I have gained weight on the IUD, about 30 pounds. My apetite is insane and my teenage acne has flared out of control. Oh well...Good luck.
Hey guys! I got Merina put in in October 06. I had problems with a previous hormonal IUD before, I had heavy bleeding for about 20 days aout of the month and extreme migraines. After 6 months they finally took it out. After they took it out we used condoms since I did not want to go in the pill (I got pregnant while on them with my first one) and guess what - - - condom broke = second baby. I asked my doc for a solution since I want a third baby sometime in the far future, they told me Merina is the best (ha... ya), They said I will have little or no bleeding, no cramping since it is very low hormonal IUD. I will not have the same issue with the first IUD. Migraines will not be as extreme.... of course.....
Well look at me now... I am at that point where my bleedings are getting longer each month (now about 12 days a month with huge blood clothes) + I have major cramps every month during ovulation, I can barerly stand up, and my migraines are out of control, I have to take narcotics....
The docs says we can take it out and maybe have another baby now - I asked him will he pay for all the formulas and diapers? I can barely pay for the gas right now!!!!! I want a baby 5 years from now and not now! He told me then my hubby can go and get himself a vasectomy... but no baby then..... WHY DON'T WE JUST DON'T HAVE SEX THEN?????
I have had iud since April. I have two wonderful children, and a step-son. I have never had a problem with periods, acne, headaches... anything. Now, I have had Migraines, really bad cramps, BAD acne, bi-polar like emotions, depression, nausea, and all that jazz. So, I have also felt like u, with the irregular bleeding, and the feeling sick, like pregnant. I suggest u do what u think u need to, because normally advice comes in many ways, mostly just confusing. Some ppl argue that u couldn't b pregnant, but some do because they have been through it all before, and had miscarriage.
I've had my Mirena for 4 years now and I have absolutely LOVED it! I haven't had a period since the day I got it inserted. I would recommend it to anyone. However, yes, here it comes.....I too have migraines regularly. I just always associated them with stress. My husband during sex would get "poked" by the string, so he's been the recipient of the pain more than I have. For four days straight I have been sick to my stomach each morning around the same time, 8-10 am. I keep hoping it's because of life changes I'm going through, but I'm going for the pregnancy test just to make sure! I know that the chances are low that I may actually get pregnant, but they are there.
I have had my mirena iud in since October 2007.  Had my third child in September 2007.  I gained 60 lbs the first two months I had it in.  My husband got stabbed by the strings every time we had sex.  My doc cut the strings completly off and said to come back if he could still feel it.  Well he could, but due to unfortunate circumstances no health insurance on myself or hubby.  He continued to feel the strings, we had to stop having sex because they would draw blood.  I had no period after three months, yay.  Then I got sick with food poisioning, I threw up for a week.  Suddenly, I got my period, a normal period.  The next week when my husband and I tried yet again to have sex, he could not feel the iud at all. He was very excited, I was nervous.  After much research I found out it could come out on its own, without your knowing.  You're period would usually start within a few days.  
         So until we can get to the Doc we have been using back up methods of birth control.  I have had three months of normal periods, and yesterday I had brown spotting for a few hours.  My first thought was that it was old blood, yuck.  Well when I did the math, I think it may be implantation bleeding.  I had that last pregnancy.  
Has anyone else had an experience similar to this?  I'm not ready for another baby, especially if my iud is still in place.  Too high risk and dangerous for the baby.  any thoughts?
I have never had Mirena but it also sounds like it could have been a miscarriage. I hope not but it is a possibility.
I have had my mirena iud in since October 2007.  Had my third child in September 2007.  I have never had a problem with periods, untill July 2008, thats when it all started,  I have been sick to my stomach everyday, depression, eatting everything is sight, takeing 2 naps and sleeping all night long, i can not feel my strings. Well today august 14th 2008 i had light pink discharge. Could i be pregnant.
I am experiencing the same things. I have been on the Mirena IUD since January of 2007 and I had very light cramping for about 2 days and everything after that seemed perfect. I have a period every month. But this month I have no period and am still waiting on it. Could anyone think I could be pregnant? Even though I wouldnt mind it, but I would like to know it so I can take the IUD out. Also, so I can take a different birth control route later in life.
i had my iud put in may of 07 and bled straight for up to 6 months my doctor said that that was normal . my period finally became normal andfor aybe the past four months i've been feeling sick i've taken pregnancy tests all came up negative. Now im feeling strong symptoms of pregnancy sick after i eat , in the mornings, im urinating quite frequently, my bowls for the last couple of days have been actin up, constipated then alot of diahrea, fatigue , pain in my back , and the super sonic nose,i want to know whats goin on also , i don't want to buy another pregnancy test im not late although i should start anyday, i'll even crave a food cook it and then not be able to eat it , but once i think im pregnant and almost absolutely sure, i take a pregnancy test and it comes up negative i don't even want to tell my boyfriend anymore cuz i think he might ustthink im baby crazy can somebody tell me what to do i have no insurance or edicaid and i'll start a new job in a week
hi guys i had my mirena fitted in april, i was bleeding for the first 3 months and then my periods went back to regular, i had my period 3 weeks ago and since then i have been constantly spot bleeding lightish pink.do you think i could be pregnant.
My IUD was implanted September of 2003.  I was about to make an appointment to have in replaced but I am now experiencing pregnancy symptoms.  I am a little worried being that I already have 5 children and my youngest just started Kindergarten.  I wasn't worried about these symptoms being a true pregnancy but after reading everyone's comments I am somewhat nervous.  I am going to wait a couple more days for my period and then take a test.
I had my IUD put in in Spet 07, I have not had any problems and I have sworn it to be the the best birth control decision I have ever made.  I have not had a period in over 5 months, I didn't gain weight, it hasn't effected me in anyway.  I just simply love it.  But, here in the last few weeks I too have had the feelings of pregnancy.  Tender chest, weight gain (only in the tummy area) mood swings, extremely tired all of the time, pretty much the same symptoms I had the first time I was pregnant.  I would even swear the I have felt something that feels like the first few times I felt my last child, you know that butterfly in your stomach kind of feel.  I have take to home tests and both were negative.  But, I just know that I am pregnant.  I can just feel it.  But, after reading all of these posts it seems like these may just be normal side effects of have an IUD.  Did any of you actually turn out pregnant or just feel pregnant?
I had my Mirena put in, in July 06.  Lately I have noticed signs of being pregnant also.  I took a test 2 wks ago and it was neg.  I plan on taking another later this week after I am suppose to start.  I have had some signs of pregnancy but not all the signs of pregnancy.  My breast are tender.  I have had frequent urination and I'm tired a lot a little nausea here and there too.   Has anyone here that has posted actually had a positive test and been pregnant or is this possibly just another side affect?  I am really worried I already care for 4 children.  3 of my own and 1 that is my sister.   My sister is 12 and my children are 7, 4, & 2.  I'm worried I don't want to lose a child and I also don't want to have another cesarean.  
okay so just so you know its impossible to get a false positive with a HPT. but very possible to get a false negative. b/c think about it...it can miss a hormone that is there but hows it gonna pick up a hormone thats NOT  there....so chances are u are pregnant...congrats hun
I had my Mirena put in in april 2008  its oct now im experiencing pregnancy signs also just like with my little guy whom i had last feb im constantly tired moody constantly peeing headaches everytime i eat i feel sick and allot of foods that i love usually i want nothing to do with all of a sudden just the sight of them makes me sick
WOW do i feel weird and relieved at the same time! I am at 16 months with Mirena and let me tell you what I have been experiencing.....Cramping, terrible mood swings, tired all the time, loss of motivation, TOTAL LOSS OF SEX DRIVE, headachs, morning sickness, at one point in time I had to run to the bathroom in killing pain to sit down and flood the throne with blood! SORRY (TMI) BUT TRUE! And loss of patience, loss of intrest in every day duties, and YES the fluttering in the abdomin (abdomen)( that one freaked me out!) And one of the worst things is SLEEP! I slept better after I had the Baby than I do now and HE's 17 months old! Some times the cramps are unbarable! All this has been going on for a while but I thought I was going nuts!I was Ready to get nerve pills and I Thought I would look into the only difference to my body that occured since the baby and guess what it was Mirena! When i started digging I found things I WAS SHOCKED OVER! No not everyone has had trouble with it but go by the ratio and common symptoms and you'll see what I did!.

www.****.***
www.****.***
www.****.***
I had my second child in Feb this year and when he was 3 months old, I had the Mirena placed. The first couple weeks were okay, but after thatI experienced the worst abdominal pain of my life along with HEAVY bleeding for 2-3 weeks. I also couldn't find my strings at this time. So I went back to the doctor who placed it who also couldn't find the strings and ordered an ultrasound. When I had the ultrasound, it showed my Mirena was still in place, but the strings were in my uterus too. Then my bleeding stopped and I haven't had a period since July. Now I am having crazy food cravings, increased urination, fatigue, feelings of lightheadedness after I eat (which I had ALL the time with my 2nd preg), and extremely emotional. I told my fiance, but he thinks its all in my head. I am not ready to have baby # 3 my oldest is only 3 1/2!! Please help! Has anyone known anyone to get pregnant off the Mirena, cause I got pregnant on the pill and the ring...so it wouldn't surprise me...HELP
OMG!!  I got mine inserted september of 2007 and like all of you I bled for three months and it went back to normal.  Our son is almost 17 months old and I have been feeling symptoms like I had when I was pregnant with him.  I am depressed and gained weight.  My marital sex life is practically non-existent because I don't feel like it.  I am depressed and tired all the time.  Has anyone gotten pregnant being on Mirena?
Like a lot of u when I got my Mirena in March of 07 I bled for several straight months.. Then all of a sudden it stopped... And tonight being October 16, 08 I just got it and I have major sharp pains every once in awhile through that area... Does ne one know whats going on? Never been pregnant/know some symptoms but, none yet... Could I be prego? Calling OBGYN Tomorrow.....
I found out this wek that i am pregnant after i have had mirena in 4 years. Huge shock! My doc took it out straight away and warned me i could miscarry. I've ben spottin last 3 days and having scan on monday to see if things are ok or not. So at the most just waiting to see what happens. Feel like ****. Would never have another one fitted. Over the 4 years i had it i constantly got bloated tummy and loads of other preg symptoms and after a few neg preg tests over the years just came to terms with those symptoms cos thought it was best type of contraceptive and worth the symptoms if it was guna stop me having another baby (have 1 other). Apparently not! Just hoping now that the baby (and my womb) are healthy.  
I have been on the Mirena for one year now and as eeryone else i have been feeling the symptoms of pregnancy for the past 3 months and all the test ive taken say negative. My stomach has seem to grow and i have gain weight but i also drink on the weekends, so does someone think that drinking and having the mirena makes the syptoms (symptoms) worse?
I have had my Mirena IUD since April '08. I bleed for about a month straight and then I started having a period every month that is somewhat heavy and last about 10 days. I also have bad cramps for about 2-3 days before my period starts. I usually have a lot of blood clots during my period too. It's like I'm in middle school again when it comes to acne. I can't keep my face clear. It takes no time for my hair to become greasy from the time I wash it every morning. And today was my last day of my period for this month and for the first time since I've had my Mirena IUD I am having a burning sensation in both of my breasts that hasn't stopped but for a minute every now and then all day. My boyfriend says that I have become extremely moody. It was so bad that I felt nauseated from it. I just had it checked by a nurse 2 weeks ago and she gave me a pregnancy test then and said it was negative. I don't know if I can handle this thing for 5 years. But I got pregnant on the OrthoTricyclen and I didn't like the patches. I had the shot for 3 years and they told me I couldn't do it anymore.
Had my Mirena in Nov 04 and love mine. I haven't had a period since I got pregnant in Dec 03. For me it is wonderful as I have vomited for 2 days w/ period since I was 11 yrs old! I also get greasy hair and mild acne. i get some PMS but no period. At different times over the years I also have had prego feelings and keep HPT 3 pack in bathroom but I haven't been pregnant yet!  Others I know w/ this also have preg symptoms w/ no pregnancy so I don't think we should all panic. I was actually having mild LACTATION a couple months ago and then it stops. Anyone remember how it feels when you let your milk down for baby? I get that feeling alot! I think this IUD does alot of weird stuff to us.I am having mine removed in the AM! I need my head checked, but that clock is ticking again.........
Hello all,
I googled IUD pregnancy and came to this site. I feel the exact same way most of you do. I have had my IUD for 6 yrs. I have had my periods, which were terrible, every month on time. The last period I had was at the beginning of Sept. I felt like I was going to start at the beginning of Oct.I spotted when I wiped maybe twice. This was totally different from the others I have had for 6 years. I went to the doctor because I thought I was going through early mentapause (sp?). I am not. I am feeling tired, sick, and my boobs are sore to the touch. They took a pg test and the second line was faint to show not pg. So, they took a blood test, and it came back negative. I am still feeling YUK, and I have been getting dizzy lately. Did anyone find out that they were Pregnant after a negative blood test? Please respond because the nurses think I am "nuts." I am beginning to think I am too.
I don't actually have the Mirena, I have... well I can't remember the name off the top of my head but it's the only copper {no hormones} one really out there.  I'm personally unable to use anything with hormones for birth control because of my heart condition and stroke last year {p.s. i'm only 21}.  But when I went in for the initial talk over which one to get {before I was told NO hormones}, they described both options to me.

Mirena did supposedly offer less cramping, less/shorter abnormal bleeding {until regularity returns}, and then shorter periods.  While the other one offered... nothing good {except it lasts longer}.  But my doctor sat me down and talked about how it was actually possible for the abnormal bleeding {to heavy bleeding, inconsistant periods, missed periods} to last longer than the instructions say. It all depends on the woman and how her body reacts to the IUD.  

My own IUD {not Mirena} has been GREAT! I was warned about possible massive cramping, extended periods along with heavy bleeding. I was worried for a while after I bled nearly every time after sex {lasted anywhere from days to weeks}. It only lasted two months before that phase ended. I've still not actually had a normal period. But i'm getting on track. What's even better is I have managed to get NO cramps throughout the whole time {including during my period}. And yes, I have been checking my string to make sure it's still in place... but once I get the name {probably google it} I'll post it to help anyone out who is thinking about getting an IUD
Hi everyone! Well, to start off, I had a baby in April. About six weeks later, the doc inserted the Mirena. Since I am breastfeeding still, I can't really depend on the tender breats as a sign of pregnancy, but I've had other signs. I did have my period right after getting the Mirena, for like almost a month!! Then no period at all since. I like that part, but I don't like the loss of appetite, then cravings, then heavy mood swings, plus fatigue and definite loss of sex-drive. I too took a HPT which came up negative. I was relieved, but am now starting to worry as I am reading the rest of these. The symptoms don't bother me as much because I guess Im so used to them from being pregnant, and they come and go...but I hope I am NOT pregnant-Im barely turning 20 in December!
I too have the Marina IUD...I got it fitted just over a year ago and things have been pretty good so far.  My periods have gotten lighter but I have been very moody and my headaches come more frequently... I've missed my period since the begining on Sept 08 (Two months now), I've gained 15lbs, been very tired and extreemly moody and cry over everything...I have a 3 1/2 year old little boy and all my symptoms remind me of when I was pregnant with him. I took a pregnancy test today and it came back negitive, but I am worried that it might be a false negitive...

Is anyone in the same situation?  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tks!!!
I have had my Mirena for 31/2 years.  When I first had it inserted, I had similar "pregnancy symptoms."  After quite a few hpts, I realized that it must be the Mirena, and the symptons went away, except for periodic cramping and cyclical "un-period" discharge.  About two weeks ago, I started to experience similar symptoms again, including fatigue, frequent urination, constipation, gassiness, lower back ache and a feeling of fullness in my lower abdomen.  My NP told me that all of these can be premenstrual signs, and not to worry.  If you look at the list of Mirena side-effects, all of those symptoms are listed.
My thought is this- if I'm spending this much time obsessing over the possibility of being pregnant and am questioning my sanity, perhaps this is not the right method for me...it's just frustrating, because it did work well for awhile.
I am thinking of having mine removed, simply because I'm tired of spending so much energy worrying about these symptoms.
It is truly amazing how many women are questioning their sanity because of the Mirena, myself included!
Bottom line, ladies- honor your bodies and make the best decision for your health.  
I got my mirena put in April '08. I had light bleeding for about a week and cramped for about 2 days. It's been perfect until recently. I've been feeling pregnant. Frequent urination, fatigue, nausea, heartburn (only had that when I was pregnant), weird cravings, bloating, but I've been losing weight. I even feel fluttering in my stomach and I asked my husband to feel it and he could feel it, too. I'm not late for my period because I stopped having them completely after I got this put in. Are all these just side-effects? They aren't listed. I was also thinking that maybe a HPT would be negative if it was ectopic or because of the hormones from the BC. How many of you actually got pregnant?
I had my IUC put in on Sept 08 and it was horrible. For the first month I spotted non-stop had horrible pain and thought about getting it removed. Then it all stopped..the spotting the cramping (except after sex then its horrible). So I havent had any sort of spotting for 3 months and I've only had it in for 4 months. Is that normal? i know that eventually it can stop your period but I was lead to believe that was after a year or more.
ok i am also on mirena and i've been spotting since i've i got it but no real period and i've been having really bad stomach pains and on top of that i'm lactating. Do you think could i be pregnant?
WOW. I've had alot of the same problems I just never put it together. I doubt that this many could be pregnant and not see a news story though. In that we're safe.  But mood swings, tiredness, forgetfulness, acne, unable to loose weight (which was not a problem after my first) all of it makes sense now.  No side effects they say?? If it sounds too good, it is!  I don't do well on the pill. I don't want to have another baby now.  "Other" birth control is how I got my first child.  What else is there?
Hey guys,
  I have had my mirena for a year and a half now.  I bleed for a long time at first and then it got better.  I got preg the first time on the pill and I didn't know that i was preg. I misscarried.  The next time was planned and I was off the pill but it took 7 months to get her.  Then I went back on the pill and after her and got preg again when she was 6 mos old.  Now I have the mirena and it gives me all of those weird symptoms.  This time  I am having alot harsher symptoms.  I wake up either starving or sick and I am exhausted and I am bloating and cramping like I did with my 1 daughter.  Anyone have any thoughts.  I am I being crazy and peranoid or what?
hey everyone..
i've had the mirena for about 3 months now. aside from bad acne, no other side effects have occured until very recently.
lately i've been extremely fatigued and quite moody.
also, i vomitted about 5 times two nights ago, but i believe that was from food poisoning.
my boyfriend noticed that my breasts have grown considerably in the last few days, of course he isn't complaining.. but a couple hours ago i noticed discharge, like colostrum, leaking from my nipples.
although there are many reasons other than pregnancy why fluid would leak, i am still concerned.
i've read through this entire thread and no one with previous posts have stated whether or not they did end up pregnant.
i'm also a bit disheartened because of so many people having negative HPT's. i still have about a week until my next period is due. but we all know periods with the mirena aren't all that reliable.
I got the mirena back in September. I have gained some weight. I checked for my strings, and couldn't feel them. Could I be pregnant?
Is it possible to get pregnant with Mirena? I have had it in since March '08. Until recently I became sexually active. If the man ejaculates inside of me, does that up the chances? I also have a tilted uterus, which is suppose to be harder to get pregnanted, but not true. I have 3 kids already? Anyone out there can help me with this?
I had my Mirena put in around November of 2007.  I have had it for a little over a year now.  I did not think that it could come out unless a doctor removed it.  Well.. it fell out last night after intercourse.  I have been spotting on and off for a week or so now and have been having wierd symptoms in my breast and abdominal area.  I seriously need to know what is going on, and if this is something that happens to a lot of women; the fact of the Mirena falling out and these wierd breast and abdominal pains.  One of my breast have been very itchy and I have had shooting pains shoot through my breast.  My abdomin (abdomen) has been very, very tender from the bottom of my ribs down.  I hope that this has nothing to do with any type of pregnancy symptoms b/c I already have two young children and am not ready for another just yet.  PLEASE RESPPOND AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.. I AM VERY~VERY CONCERNED..
Thank You~~
I had the Mirena inserted about 5 years ago now, its time to have it taken out! But I just wanted to ease some of your minds ( atleast I hope this will) I had the cramping and abdominal flutters after I first got it, then my periods became lighter and lighter, now I may have one every three months or so, I do still have the syptoms (symptoms) of menstruation and sometimes I get worried about being pregnant-----then I get my period...your body knows when you are stressing about that for some reason! If you have any concerns once it is inserted just call your OBGYN and schedule an appointment, Better safe than sorry. It is like any other birth control method, their are side affects and it is different for everyone who gets it. But please just talk with your OBGYN and get the right info!
hi i got my mirena put in on september 9th 2008 some weeks i am bleeding some weeks i am not it comes and goes but has been like this since september..just wondering when my periods will start being normal i do feel tired all the time too and get weird feelings in my belly and stuff..no headaches for me but for the last couple of weeks my face has broke out something terriable i also had never had acne and my face has it all over the place i am so disgusted.hopeing that everything goes back to normal soon..
I had my iud placed in oct. of 05 and didnt have another period until aug 08. ive had a normal period every month since then until this month. so far its 2 weeks late. when i had it placed they cut the strings too short so ive never been able to check if its still there. besides the obvious that i should go see my doctor :) does anyone have any advise or a similar story that miht help me out?
Hello just like everyone else i got mirena . it was put in in may 08 after my second child was born. for the first three months i had constant heavy bleeding and unberrable cramps in my right side and occasianally my left side so after 3 months my periods stopped i didnt really like the fact that i did not have a period it did not seem healthy to me so i had it removed in dec 08 i bled after it was removed for about 4 or 5 days but now we are in january and i have not had a period and i have been vomitting alot with flutters in my tummy i swear there is a baby in there i have taken 2 hpt and both came out negative but i am thinking that the pregnacy tests are missing my pregnacy hormone because i could swear that i am pregnant about 4 or 5 months along to be feeling a baby kick the only time i could have gotten pregnant was when i had the iud mirena in because my husband had a vasectomy just so i would not have to keep the iud and that is another reason why i had it removed. so could the doc have missed the fact that i was pregnant when the iud was removed or is my body just still not ajusted to having the iud out i am so lost and hope that i am not prego because i have two kids already and both are in diapers a 2 year old and a 10 month old so if any one has any info and any advice for me please do not hesitate to tell me because i need some answers i cant see the doc for a while he is booked so any help or advice is greatly appreciated
I have read and reread all the millions of post out there that talk about pregnancy symtoms (symptoms) with mirena and I too have had them all.... SO I went to my doc (which all of us should do) and he confirmed that I am ovulating. The mirena does not stop you from ovulating ... it only keeps you from implanting. It can also cause the hormone levels of ovulation to be increased thus giving all the same symptoms of pregnancy. It will not happen every month (but could) and you should not be alarmed... for the record for 2 1/2 weeks I have had big boos that feel heavy and sore (mostly on the outside edges), have felt bloated (even looked prego in the mirror), have had an insatialable hunger, was so tired I fell asleep at work and had a metalic taste in my mouth that seemed to increase and decrease nausia.
We aren't pregnant. 99.9 % chance of getting prego with mirena each year.
As a side not to my original post... I have had Mirena for about 2 years and don't have a period to speak of and this is not the first time I have had the symptoms (just more severe this time)
I have been on Mirena since June 2008, I've had the same symptoms but I keep having cramping in my lower back. Its sometimes unbearable. Has anyone else had this happen?
i've had my mirena since october 29, 20008. i love it. i had the af like cramping for about 1-2 weeks afterwards and now nada. well the occasional twinge of what a cramp used to be. i do still have the irregular bleeding and spotting but i knew i'd have that for 6-12 months. i'm not pregnant, no weight gain, nothing. the mirena has been the best b/c i've ever been on.

my ob said usually the only way a woman gets pregnant when having the mirena is when her ob puts it in wrong. he said if inserted correctly it's 99.9% accurate on preventing pregnancy.
i got my mirena in may of 06 and i have had all the symptoms! i even posted a question on this forum about all my symptoms and nobody answered it so i decided to look for myslef and i found this! this is crazy! i makes me feel a little better knowing that i am not the only one out there though.

since ive had the mirena i have had bad cramping on my left side during and after sex, no sex drive what so ever, im tired all the time, i eat like crazy, acne is not bad, but its still there, and i have all the pregnancy symptoms.

and after reading all your posts i think it is time to get this bad boy taken out. has anyone had theirs taken out and still experienced the symptoms? or did it go back to normal?  
I had Mirena placed in April 2005. We are now in March 2009. Not five years later... I did not have periods with Mirena at all. I started bleeding on the last Thursday of Feb. it lasted a couple days and then stopped. I went a few more days and it started again. Always bright red and never enough to fill a pad. Long story short if you are experiencing any change in symptoms you need to get checked by a physician. I took two home pregnancy tests when it came up positive I went to the hospital because I freaked. Well I'm pregnant. The problem is it is to early to tell is it is a tubal pregnancy or not. So I wait.
Beware of the Mirena IUD. I had mine inserted in December of 2007. I am typically a slim woman. My doctor said that I would have no side effects from the Mirena. Well, in about a year, I gained 15-20 pounds! I eat healthy and exercise vigourously and could not lose a pound! I never thought about my weight problems being from the IUD. I've been to a nutritionist, got a trainer, nothing was working! It was not until I was doing some research on the net about the IUD (for other reasons not related to weight) that I found that women who had the IUD were having problems with theri weight. Well ladies, I can tell you that I had removed about a month ago and 15 pounds fell right off me. And I am still losing. I am at my prepregnancy weight. I will never do the IUD again and I do not advise any to either.
i have the same problem i feel and looking pregnat to i have only one child but it feels the same as my first.when i take a home prgo test it changes between pos and neg.what should i do
My period is a week late and i ave mirena. a month ago the doctor told me my mirena was "missing"....MF'er what!? missing... it just doesnt get up and walk away does it!? Mirena was the worst BC i have ever tried. i got mirena so i wouldnt get pregnant for another 5 years. my son turns a year old this month, but im NOT ready for a second one. and my bf and i are not in the place in our relationship to be having babies (he's legally seperated but not divorced. i cant have another baby w/o being married.)

* i'm tired ALL the time (my kid sleeps the entire night so i shouldn't be THIS tired)
* period is late by 5 days
* i get very sick to my stomach
* i'm not hungry at all- just feel too sick to eat
* my nipples are very sensitive right now (usually arnt at all-except when i'm pregnant)
* i feel bloated- when i shouldnt
* lower back pain

i took a test last week and it said i wasn't pregnant - but now my periods way late and i'm going to take another one.  
I have had my IUD in since Sept 2008........Ive done nothing but worry the past month that I am pregnant. If I didnt feel "flutters" in my stomach...I wouldnt be AS worried. I have horrible horrible lower back pain...almost unbarable at times. Ive gained 20+ pounds since Ive had it in & Ive been trying to lose it.....but Ive had NO luck what so ever! I ended up calling my obgyn 2 weeks ago, due to not being able to find the strings -- I havent felt the strings since it was put in. WELL, my dr at first could not find it! So she was going to give me a ultrasound...then she supposly went in further & found the strings, the are wayyy in the back around my cervix or whatever. I told her about all of my side affects...mood swings, THE FLUTTERS in my stomach, brownish spotting & having to wear a panti liner every frickin day so my underwear dont get soiled, fatigue... Her answer was : The Mirena has many side effects such as the ones your talking about...but I can ASSURE you that you are definitely NOT pregnant. & she told me to come back anytime to get my strings check.....thus having to pay another 20.00 copay! I was about to DEMAND a ultrasound, because I am just too paranoid that I am pregnant & I will accept if i AM, but I dont want the baby to be in any danger. I told my husband about what she said, and I told him that I still feel pregnant & he said that she would have been able to TELL from being in there looking at my cervix and everything if I was pregnant. Of course, he told me to chill out & dont worry about it. Well....its my body & I still feel like I am. How could she have been able to tell if its a Tubal pregnancy from just looking for some strings?! ......or even if there was a baby in there??????! Im not a skinny twig, with both of my pregnancies I didnt look pregnant until aroun 6/7 mths.....BUT NOW!!!!!!!!.....I look more pregnant than I was with both of my daughters! I am at a loss, I think Im going to make another apt to get it removed for good, and go back on the pill or something. This is just too nerve wracking for me to continue to have to worry about hurting a baby IF I become/am pregnant. ! Agh!!!
I had the Mirena put in about a month after my son was born.  That was in April of 08, now almost a year later I have been having sypmtoms of being pregnant.  I am about 3-4 weeks late on my period, it's hard to tell because they have been so irregular since the iud was put in.  I had my period everymonth since i had the mirena, but it didn't come last month.  I took an hpt yesterday but it came up negative.  But I have been feeling very tired no matter how much sleep I get, I have been getting headaches, feeling nauseated and not wanting to eat.  I have also had slight lower back pain and I thought I felt a little fluttering in my stomach.  I am at wits end and I have no idea what to do now.  I just moved here and I do not have a doctor yet.  Somebody please help me, give some advice.

I have had the mirena since Feb. of 2008. The past couple of months I have been having many of the same symptoms as everyone else. I am not really concerned except that I have been lactating like janelle444 for two months now. I have been to the doctors and they all keep telling me that it is milk (they tested it), but they cannot explain why it is there. I even called Bayer and asked if it was one of the weird side effects, but they said that the mirena actually decreases milk production, it does not make more. My youngest child is 3 1/2, and I stopped breastfeeding her when she was a year old. My milk has been dried up for over two years until now. The doctors I have went to all just tell me that there is no way to get pregnant on mirena, and that I soruldn't worry. They just keep telling me to come back in a few weeks if the symptoms continue. I have done this for 2 months now. I have been to multiple doctors and finally found one that would run some tests. I had a lot of bloodwork done yesterday and am scheduled for an ultrasound. When I find out what is causing this I will post again. I hate when people post and never follow up! Good luck to everyone!
Hi Ladies,
I've had my Mirena in since 2005 & for the first 18 months I had my period which was very irregular, it would come every 2 weeks or last for weeks at a time. I haven't had my period for about 2 years now & have gained about 15 pounds but its just because I'm eating alot bigger portions. I can't feel my strings at all, I have never been able to but my doctor has assured me its there everytime I go in for my check ups. I hope this puts your minds at ease at least a little!! Good luck everyone it gets better! I now love my mirena. my 5 years is up April 2010 & my son will be six so I'm hoping to add on to our family!! Time will tell!
I need help!!!  When someone is on regular birth control, like a pill, and they take antibiotics the pill becomes ineffective.  Does anyone know if this is true for an IUD??????
Hi, I wondered the same thing. I have asked many doctors this question and I keep getting different answers, but they do all say that they are not sure. I even called Bayer and asked them, and they told me that they did not know because no studies were ever done with the iud and antibiotics in their clinical trials. I took antiobiotics in Jan., and I did not think about the birth control issue because I really don't have to worry about the iud, but then I started having pregnancy symptoms ever since Feb. I did have tests run at the doctors, but they will not give me the rusults back until my next appointment. (They do not like to give them over the phone.) If you are currently taking antibiotics I would suggest using another form of birth control for a while. I am not a doctor, but since part of the way that the iud works is from the hormones, and antibiotics decrease regular bc pills, I think that it would also decrease the effectiveness of the iud.
Like all of you, I have the mirena IUD and feel *pregnant*. I've had the mirena for 4 years ... this feeling has happened one other time since I've had the mirena (last year) where I swore I was pregnant, was nauseous every day for two weeks, had bad cramps, was tired, etc. I took 3-4 pregnancy tests and all were negative. Then I went to my OB/GYN and he did a blood test and sonogram -- everything was negative. So, I went back this week with the same symptoms and he did another pelvic exam, but basically told me that when the mirena is in its last year, it is emitting less hormones. Because of this, your body is trying to have a regular menstrual cycle, but still can't and it causes cramping and pregnancy like symptoms. I don't know if I fully believe that explanation, but I HATE the ups and downs of feeling pregnant, not being pregnant, and then going through the same thing the next month. I am going to get it taken out.
if you experience anything out of the ordinary, please see your doctor! i had my son in nov 2007 and in jan 2008 had my mirena inserted (only after my doctor pushed me toward this birth control after i had conceived already on the pill). with my mirena in place for almost a year and a half, i started spotting for a couple of weeks without cramping. since this was unusual for me, i schedule a drs appointment for her to check the placement (although i could feel the strings). i couldnt even wait for my appointment..i was taken by ambulance to the emergency room when i started bleeding heavily and having excruciating cramps. thinking my mirena had perforated my uterus, i was shocked when the dr told me i was pregnant. they removed my iud and i had my blood drawn again today to recheck my hCG levels to see if I have already miscarried or it is a continuing pregnancy (possibly ectopic).

please dont take any symptoms lightly...i am so angry that my dr didnt thoroughly explain the possible complications to me, especially after i had already conceived on birth control once.
i got iud in apirl 2008 about 3 1/2 months ago i felt i was pragnet again so a i took 3 pregnacy and they all negative and i haven't had normal period and i've been have bad craps i talk to my doctor i told her that i've have bad craps even when im not period so she give pian pills will my nurse that comes to my house 4 my baby girl told me that it sound like i mite be pragnet and the iud should be tooken out just in case so i'm going to my ob on monday
6years ago this August I had my first Merina put in.  The first one I had no problems with.  For five years I had no problems.  Never even thought about it.  Not to mention I quit menstrating all togeather.  I had no problems with my sex drive, and have had migrains since my daughter was born almost 7 years ago so have never attributed them to my BC.  
August of last year I had a new IUD put in to replace the first one.  Ive had no problems with this in all that time untill the last 6 weeks or so.  I started to feel pregnant.  I have two children of my own and knew I was pregnant with them with in the first month of conception.  Ive always just known when Im pregnant.  I told my husband about my "feeling" and he dismissed it saying that the BC we were using had been effective for the last five years  or so.  Even so I took a pregnancy test a week later.  the test was negative but still the feeling persisted.  If any of the symptoms had gone away I would have dismissed it and never found this site.  The problem is it hasnt gone away it's worse.  My breasts hurt all the time.  There so full and swollen im in pain all day long. By lower abdomen feels full and im more tired then I have been in a long time.  But like I said Its all come about in the last 6 weeks.  Im convinced that i need to see my obgyn, If its the birth control they can keep it.  The doctor said that there was the chance of a tubal pregnancy as well.  Im all kinds of worried and dismayed that my home pregnancy test has not eleveited my concerns.
I can not believe all these posts that I just read. I had my Mirena put in Oct 08. It is now May 09 and I have been having the pregnancy feeling for about 3 weeks now. I am 27 and have 2 kids 14 months apart, so we are NOT ready for another kid. I am very interested to see what happened to everyone who posted earlier. Did you end up being pregnant? I haven't had any problems. I spot here and there and haven't had a period since I had it put in. The other night I was eatting dinner and almost threw up! What is going on!!!
I have been worrying about the same things. I got my mirena in march of this year (2009) and I just have this weird (awful) feeling that I might be pregnant. I have a son who is 7 months old and I dont want another child for a long time, which is why I got the mirena because its supposed to last for 5 years, and I couldnt remember to take a pill every day. But lately I have been feeling like I could be pregnant. My period only lasted a few weeks after I got it placed, and there have only been 2 occasions where I thought I was starting my period, but it was just spotting and only lasted for a few hours out of those 2 days. I am going to take a pregnancy test this weekend, and I'm hoping it says negative, but even if it does, I want to get a blood test done just in case. I don't know if it's normal, but I hate this weight gain and also the reason why I feel I might be pregnant is that I can feel flutters in my stomach. Like I had when I was barely pregnant with my son. I don't know whats going on, but I am a little nervous at this point. I know there is a chance that I could be pregnant, I'm just hoping that I'm not. Because if mirena doesn't even work for me, what will? Abstinence? Because I don't think my husband would like that very much, but we can't very well have a dozen children running around either.
I have had the Mirena since September 2005 and Im due to get it out September 2010. These last few months I have been feeling major nausea and cramping and just feel like eating everything in sight. I have gained 10 lbs in the last month because I have been eating more. All I want to do is sleep and eat. It is crazy. Im afraid I could be pregnant. But I took a test last week and it said negative. Should I go get blood work done? I cant feel my strings anymore. I have been having sex with my boyfriend like 50 times a month and he goes inside me. Do you think I could be pregnant? Please help....
I have a 4 yr old and I dont think I need another child right now until I get married.
So i had the Mirena put in in Dec. 08 after my son was born... now is June 10th and i have allready taken two pregnancy tests ( both came back negative) and i am going to the Dr. tomorrow to get bloodwork and an ultrasound done! I am convinced i MUST be pregnant... every morning at around 7:00am and 10:00am i get nausious and sometimes actually get sick ( never happend with my son) .. i feeel like i just cannot get enough sleep lately, i have been very emotional and moody and thats not like me... and i have not had my period since April!!!!! This has been going on for the past 6 weeks.... I too am intersted as to see if anyone ever did get pregnant!!!!
Okay so my story is much different. I got my iud in when I was 20....that was 4 years ago now. I just got married last year and now all the baby talk has started. People asking me when all the time....now its almost like my brain is tricking my body into thinking I am prego. I have been going to the drug store to buy a HPT every months since Jan....I SWEAR I am pregnant every month and feel symptoms....tired, nausiated, feeling my tummy growing bigger etc....but I have had my period like clock work. I think hormones must be high right now or something. I want to have a baby, but I dunno if I am ready right now.....what should I do??? Maybe it is my body telling me I am ready?? I am so baby crazy and can't stop thinking about it!! But then I have my moments where I don't want one yet......wow what is going on with me?? I am also very moody lately too, I know my husband has noticed.....

HELP!!
I've been experiencing the SAME THING!  My hubby thinks I'm going crazy, but they don't understand what we feel when we don't feel right.  So I asked him to get a preg. test tonight...I'm sick of feeling like this...my breasts are SO SORE, I'm tired, moody, cramping, lower back KILLS me, missed my period (3 days late), and very bloated.  

My husband pulls out all the time, and he's lucky he even gets it twice a month...LOL  
But I'm really not feeling great.  These are probably all symptoms of the Mirena and they just didn't list all of the side effects...

I'll get back on tomorrow morning and let you know how the test turned out.
I did test that Night and showed nothing!  I got a BFN!!  So still not sure what I'm feeling...haven't had a period in over 50 days and my normal would be 30....Almost a month late...

I got a Mirena IUD , and 7 months later finally got it removed...I had SO many unpleasant side effects from it. Acne, pregnancy symptoms, etc. Now, less than a month after having it removed and a Paraguard IUD implanted instead, I REALLY fear that I'm pregnant. The pregnancy symptoms are far worse now than even while using the Mirena. I'm not sure if something happened to the Paraguard, or if maybe the hormones from the Mirena are just still messing with me, but I'm really concerned. I have to say, I would strongly caution anyone planning to get a Mirena to read some of these forums- I wish I had before I got it. I definitely would NOT have gotten it if I had.
I had Mirena IUD placed on September 2008. Last month when it is time for me to see my period,I started seing brownish discharge and feeling pregnant. I did a urine pregnancy test and it turned out negative, but planning on seeintg the Doc. nextweek to remove it.
I'm having the same symptoms. I've had mine in for over a year! I get headaches, breast tenderness, back ache, nausea, and pain under my ribs..almost like a pulled muscle. I feel bloating and a burning feeling in my stomach! I also get night sweats and long periods! I'm scared because I don't know if it's my IUD or something more serious! AH!
O.k.so here is my story. I got the Mirena inserted about 2 years ago. Before that one, I had the Mirena inserted in Sep. of 05. So the first was about 2 years and had to have it taken out due to testing that was being done. Those 2 years were great. No weight gain, no period, no NOTHING!! The PERFECT BC. Now since this last Mirena has been inserted I have had no period, gained 30 lbs and have been pretty bloated. I had a little boy in December of 04". I KNOW what pregnancy feels like. Due to NOT having a period it has been hard to determine if I am pregnant. Lately, I have been extremely tired, not eating as much(as I did with my son) and just have that feeling that you just know you are pregnant. I have had no bleeding at all. No nausea. I have a UTI I am sure of and I never get UTI's unless I am pregnant. I had one positive and one negitive hpt. I am going to the Dr. who delivered my son tomorrow morning. IF I am NOT pregnant, this **** is coming out asap. I cannot take this feeling of pregnancy and making myself sick to my stomach with worry. My husband thinks I am crazy because this is suppose to be the BEST BC on the market. It is over 99.9% effective. I have read on the Mirena website though of women who HAVE gotten pregnant on the Mirena. It's Fing scary to read because most women like you and I have no clue until you are between 2-4 months along. I will post tomorrow to let you all know if I am pregnant so we can solve the Mirena(IUD) pregnancy mystery.
I am shocked that I have had this thing for 2 1/2 yrs and I'm just now finding out about this. I have been having pregnancy symptoms for about 5 monthes now. My boyfriend and I already have 5 children and our youngest is disabled. I cant have anymore babies right now. I have been terrified and the stress is only making it worse. I go to the dr and they come up with a new reason for my problems every visit. I have been diagnosed with depression, anxiety, acid reflux, thyroid fluctuations, and pain from scar tissue. But really its probally just the mirena.
I had the Mirena IUD insert about a week ago. My hubby and I had sex today for the first time since the insertion. I've noticed that cramping after wards seems to a common trend, so I'm feeling okay about the cramping going on. But what does the actual IUD feel like? When we changed positions he suddendly stopped and said I feel something. We're not sure if it was the strings or the actual IUD. I can't get into see the doc til at least tomorrow (and I am def going to) to be absolutely sure of placement. I know I have a greater chance for expulsion since I haven't had children. But I'd kinda like to know from anyone if they think my hubby def hit the IUD or if it was string, or just the thought. Thanks
hi, i have been reading these posts and am experiancing similar symptoms, i have been extremely tired, just dont feel like myself, my breasts were soar but that went away, very large appetite which i usually dont have, and headaches which i had when i was pregnant with my daughter before,  but here is the catch, i can feel my strings to my iud but they are extremly low, almost feels like they are out.... could i be pregnant or am i blowing this up????
I have the mirena IUD since April this year and started bleeding for two months. The cramping is getting worst since I got it on. I sometimes feel like a needle is pocking my vagina. I just went to the doctor and they did was a pregnancy test I have two boys and am 20 years old so I would live to have one more child in the future. The doctor tell me its normal but I feel nauseous and dizzy, really really tired and my breast have been hurting for two weeks now. The doctor did a pregnancy test and it came out negative. I don't get it if it's supposed to be with out hormones involved why are they giving me these symptoms. well I guess I am going to ask to get a ultrasound to make sure I'm OK.    
I have been on Mirena since January 2008 6 weeks after the birth of my third child. at the time i got it put in I had a 4 1/2 year old, a 2 year old and a six week old and was not wanting anymore kid's for a while, I have gotten pregnant on the pill, the ring, the day after pill, I am allergic to the patch so my BC options are very limited. I got one regular period when I first got mirena, then I did not get a period for six months, but that period lasted for 4 weeks I had also been having pains off and on in my uterus or that area anyway. so I went and had the placement checked they said the stings were where they were supposede to be so I was fine. I have not had a period a since and i have had it in place for a year and a half.  I have had pregnancy symptoms off and on and a lot of pain in my ovaries and pain with intercourse especially when thrusting. My doctor has also informed me that with mirena you are more likely to get ovarian cyst which is probably why I am having pain on my ovaries. I liked that fact that I was'nt getting pregnant (Although I take preganacy (pregnancy) test evryother month just to be safe) , but I got the IUD removed 3 days ago. I have had sex since I have had it taken out with no discomfort like when it was in and am told the cyst will more than likely go away now although not for sure. now i just have to figure out what i am going to do to avoid pregnancy.
I had the Mirena IUD put in Sept of 04, I had it removed 2 wks ago. When I had it put in I bled for about a month,  but it was also put in 6wks after having a c-section though too.. I never got a period with it at all, and still haven't gotten a cycle yet even though it's out. I went through stages where I would get pregnancy symptoms and every time I took a HPT it'd come out positive. The dr told me to take  a a digial HPT (the one that says pregnant or not pregnant instead of the lines) those would always come up Neg even if I just took the ones with the lines. They said it was just a hormonal thing, but my breast would get so tender, I"d get so tired and I"d eat all the time, but I was never pregnant. I can't say that I loved the Mirena, cuz I didn't. Always feeling crappy here and there, wasn't worth it. I did cramp a few times, but it wasn't severe or anything like that, since the dr kept telling me it was normal, I just learned to live with it. After having it removed, I had the WORST cramping ever, and they just said it's 'normal" to take ibuprofin, luckly that cramping is gone (for good I hope). Now I"m having pregnancy symptoms, so I"m not sure if I"m pg yet or not!! I"m just glad to have that IUD removed, and I refuse to get another one, I hate feeling like **** and you can't do anything about it.I"ve thought about pulling it out myself, as I"ve heard some people have, but I also heard there's a risk, so I went and had the dr take it out to be on the safe side., Good Luck to all of you, I feel for you, and I hope your not pregnant ( I mean that in a good way) cuz there's  such a risk of miscarriage with it in, and with having it removed while being pregnant, although I know there's a few who've had succesful pregnancies while having it removed. Please keep us informed.
I'm experiencing the same exact thing as everyone else! Does anybody for sure know what's going on? I also need to know if any of you were actually pregnant or if it was just the Mirena playing tricks on you? I got mine put in this past March and well my husband and I have been anything but discreet with each other. My periods have been totally crazy since I got it pretty much lasting every single day except it stopped about a month ago, so I can't even rely on that, but I don't usually spot. A few weeks ago I started getting weird feelings in my lower abdomen. Nothing like I've ever felt. I usually check for my strings about once a month like recommended. I've always been able to feel them, except when I felt for them a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't feel them. So I just tried again today and still nothing. I know its possible for everything to be sitting right and not be able to feel your strings, after all they move around... yet I'm still concerned because of the weird belly feeling. It feels like every day my breasts get bigger and I get more bloated. I've only gained about 10lbs total and it's all been within the past few months. All within the past couple of months, I constantly feel worn out, my lower back hurts all the time, i haven't bled for about a month, but had spotting once. If anybody can give me some insite on their thoughts, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Well i've had my mirena for a year now bout 6 months after i had it placed. i had pregnancy symtoms (symptoms). when i went to my doctor they did a regular pt, then they also did the blood pregnancy test. they say its normal to feel like this. i feel sick everyday. i wanna puke all the time i have major migrains and im constantly tired...... the only true way with these things is to have an ultrasound done. because of your estragin level it will ALWAYS show a false neg. believe me for the past 3 months ive felt like this and its not getting any better.
I have had my merina iud since june or 07.... for the most part everything has been well, if you consider completly irregular periods normal, sometimes they last for two weeks sometimes i spot for weeks... very rarely is it ever heavy and usually a panty liner is all i need, however it is still super annoying. I use to be able to feel my strings and now it seems i have to reach even deeper to find them, and even then i can only partially feel them. Other then that I haven't had a bad experience. My husband and I have a two year old, and I am about to start my last year of college, next summer I am opening my own daycare/preschool. I am terrified of getting prego before then. I don't have health insurance, but think i am goona go into planned parenthood to have mine checked.... it seems everywhere i go i keep hearing about people getting pregnant with these  and i wonder if someone out there is trying to tell me something. then I google and come accross this site and now I'm even more scared!!! Come to think of it I have had occasional nasuea and never thought it had anything to do with the iud, maybe it does.... Anyways, I don't think the Iud is bad, it's been good to me, I just worry the longer I have it!!! Hope everything works out for everyone on here!
I have had my mirena for a little over a year now. I have not gained weight I didn't get acne and I do not have migraines. I have the occasional  head aches but who doesn't. I read this site and you all have scared the heck out of me and I already have one in. Of course your going to think your pregnant from time to time because your period is not normal. But then you just get use to it. I haven't had my period for 6 months now and I'm fine with that. Sorry to everyone that has had a bad experience but mine has been great.  
Until I came across this site I thought I was the only one. I understand and have experienced everything mentioned. I'm at the point where I want to have it taken out. But I have four children and I'm not even 30 yrs. old yet. After having my first daughter I had the Norplant put in. I came to find out three years later that I was pregnant with my second child. They took out the Norplant and told me that. Do to the last two capsules emptying out before they where suppose to that's how I must have gotten pregnant. After having my second child I started on Depo shots before even leaving the hospital. It got me through two and a half years before I went back for my depo shot only to find out that I couldn't get it because I was already pregnant. My fourth daughter was planned in hopes of having a boy and making it a even number. But no luck all girls. I signed the papers to get my tubes tied. But do to after birth  complications they would not do it. They told me to come back after my postpartum appt and get it done. Well my doctor still would not do it he said because I'm not married yet. Even though I signed papers and I can't change my doctor's office until my medical coverage has open enrollment season. I end up having the Marina put in. Now here I am three and a half years into having it in and it's been hell. Body changes, mood changes, pains every where and after sex with loss of even wanting to have sex half the time. I thought it was going to be great to not have a period only spotting hear and thier. To be able to have sex when ever we wanted to. But now I don't even have it in me to want to. Tired all the time, mood swings, migrains that make me want to rip my head off my shoulders. It changed me into this person that I don't like. But I'm afraid to have it taken out. I'm not ready finacially or emotionally in any way to have another child. I don't want to have something I can't afford to take care of. Even though I've been going though what I thought was a faze. I want another baby but I thought those were feeling  coming from. The fact that my youngest child is getting ready to turn four next month she's at that point were she doe's everything on her own. I thought I was going through that mother faze were I wanted to be needed and wanted to fix it by having another baby. I've been fighting that feeling do to not being in a positon in any way to have another child. But at the same time am experiencing pregnancy signs. Weight gain, tender breast but also could be signs of my cycle that I am suppose to have but don't. Curtain smells and foods cause to experience nausea. I'm tired all the time but I do have four children and seven daycare children. I'm bloaded all the time and have to suck my stomach in but it hurts to do that when it didn't before. My youngest keeps talking to my stomach and telling me that theirs a baby is in their. She even get up set when I tell her no it's not mommy has to exercise it's fat from her when I tell her it's not a baby in their. She cries and tries to fight me where I squeeze my stomach and ball it up to try and show her their's nothing in there. I lost my IUD string months ago. I had a ultrasound to make sure the IUD was still in their. I had a lot of infections this year along with the pain. My other half soon to be husband looks at me like I'm crazy. He says if it's that bad have it taken out. With all that I'm experiencing. If I'm not pregnant and I'm just feeling pregnant. Because I have taken pregnancy test one after another and their all negative. Even though you can't always count on them. I afraid of getting it taken out because I will shore enough get pregnant. He wants his boy. But I'm done because of finanical reason but want another because I'm a mother and love children but no when to stop. I don't no what to do somebody help!  What would you do?
I had my Mirena inserted May 08 and bled for a month straight. Also the cramps were full on for this time. I thought OMG what did I get myself in to!!!! I persisted and then only had a few more periods and nothing after that (about a year now with no periods). It has been nice to not worry about taking a pill or having heavy periods. Each mid month I get an "ovulation pang" and then 2 weeks later I wipe and there may be pink for a day or so.... no bleeding to speak of. The only side effects for me is oily hair (so I wash it more), my chin getting acne each month (strict skin care routine helps clear it) and some months my boobs are sore and belly a little bloated when I am meant to have a period. Then it goes away! I have not put on any weight at all and I am normally one who can easily. I feel like I am on easy street tho and really feel for those of you who are having trouble. I read these posts and start to worry about pregnancy seeing I wouldn't know as I no longer have periods. I had a scare once early on but it all turned out fine. I think the pregnancy symptoms people experience are the individual's body dealing with the hormones... everybody is different eh. Also tho- once you get it in your mind that you could be it plays on you and sometimes I think we can make it worse for ourselves. We are our own worst enemy sometimes. Good luck and remember if it doesn't feel right, go with your gut feel and have it removed. You know your own body.
I had the marina inserted about a week ago. a day later I was getting headaches (I never had a problem with headaches before). but I went and got me some midol and it got better. on Saturday I noticed some drippage comming from my breast. It freaked me out- I squeezed my nipple and I see some liquid squirt out. I have two children and the youngest is 7. ( so the milk factory should be out of business). anyhow  I made an appt to see the doctor, they told me to come back in a month to see if I still have problems. So far those are the only two problems Im having. Im glad I found this forum It helps to hear other peoples reactions with this device.
I had my Mirena IUD put in August 2007 just 1 month after the birth of my son. I have always had bad cramping , no periods in 3 years and ovarian cists. However I have never had sore breast in my whole life except when my milk came in after having my son . For the past two weeks my breast have been really tender and here and there I'm very tired and feel a little sick . I dont know if I am pregnant but I want to take a test but I've never had a positive result even when I was pregnant. I know Ineed to go to the doctor but has anyone else had an IUD sudden sore breast thats persistant and found out you were pregnant?
Well, I have just read what everyone has had to say and only once did someone actually say they were pregnant. I have had all the symptoms above and I am too worried that I am pregnant. I have had my IUD (Mirena) since Feb of this year. My symptoms have just worsened this past month. I have also been having a lot more sex these past few months. I am a small girl (21 yrs old) and have had two boys. I have never had a hard time losing weight and have never gained weight unless I was pregnant. I am now gaining weight, having food cravings, always hungry, sore breasts, moody, fatigued and so on. I personally now believe, after reading all this, that it's just the Mirena and someone needs to bring it to someones attention that all these women are going through this with it. It makes me think that maybe you kinda get pregnant and then it's aborted because it can't get attached??? I don't even know if that's possible lol. Just thinking out loud. There are websites I have googled that people are saying they got pregnant off it? It's really aggravating and totally not worth it. I will soon get mine removed. There just isn't something right about it. I wish people would follow up on here and let us know if they ever were pregnant or what their doctors said. I will definitely follow up if I have a positive test. I have yet to take one, but will tomorrow. I pray it's negative. I'm not ready for a 3rd.

*Heather*
I got mirena 2 years ago and have loved it, not taking the pill has made my life so much better. I"m not depressed anymore, I have lobido, and I have never been worried about contraception. About 2 weeks ago my boobs started to get really soar when I get cold (we do water sports alot), I missed my monthly and have been nausious. I just took a preg test and it came out positive. I'm going to the doctor this afternoon to have a second test but I can feel that I'm pregnant. I'm 34 and married but I don't want to have a child right now. During my physical this summer my doc said the strings were there and everything looked fine. I'm not impressed. I'll have to insist that he wear his protection every time I guess. I'm not ready to deal with an unplanned pregnancy.
I truly believe we need to have a class action lawsuit against Mirena for not listing all these adverse effects.  Who knows what other long-term effects it might have.  The doctors are useless too.  We can't go after the doctors together but we can go after Mirena as a group.  Just from this post alone, there are 94 replies, and this is only one posting.  There are 512 replies from all three IUD postings on this site.  There are many more just like it on other sites.  If you ladies know any medical lawyers or is one please look in to this.  I'll be happy to tell my story in court.      
I had the mirena put in June 2005--over 4 years ago!  I absolutely love it!  I have never has any problems with it and I reccomended it to a lot of people.  I have no cramping and no period at all.  However the last few weeks I have been so tired, gained weight, and eat more than normal.  I don't know if I am pregnant or not.  I plan on taking a test tomorrow AM just to ease my mind.  I thought maybe, if i am pregnant, it was because I am coming near the 5 year mark. I have three boys and the third I was using the patch.  I just don't know how dangerous it is if I am pregnant.  And to the post above me, it must be your dr.  I was given a lot of info on the mirena and my doc informed me of the side effects.  Cramping, migraines, etc. it was all in the info I got!  Good luck to all of you!
It is quite unbelievable that so many people are experiencing the same symtoms (symptoms) that I have. I have had the merina for four years and am experiencing the acne, the migraines, the tender breast and that annoying bloated tummy! Not to mentin that gnawing feeling that you are pregnant.  I have had alot of positive experiences with the Merina otherwise.  If you have bad periods this is an excellent way to control them and to balance your hormones but it is a poor excuse for a birth control.  Back to the doctors...
jax
i had my MIRENA inserted 5/18/09...everything was normal until about 4 weeks ago...i started bleeding and continued for 3 weeks...every since i have stopped...i feel so weird, moody, nothing taste rights, my face is so oily it is driving my crazy,and I FEEL PREGNANT!!! SOMETHING IS MOVING AROUND IN MY STOMACH!!!  I FEEL crazy even tiring to explain what is going on...i'm having problems with my insurance right now and im unable to go to the doctor right now..most of the  other post are VERY similar to what I'm experiencing...has anyone gotten any answers???  
i had the mirena put in 6 weeks after my daughter was born. She was born on July 8, 2009 and was 7 weeks early.  i am experiancing fatigue, increased appitite, heartburn and i'm due for my period in the next week or so, but i've had spotting two weeks after my last period and that is not common for me.  it is amazing how many people are having the same problem that i am, but i haven't had mine in for that long.  
I have had the Miren IUD for a year now after my daughter was born September '08. I got a normal period for the first few months then it stopped for a month and when it started again it was very light but still consistent. I have had pregnancy symptoms for a fee months now but I keep getting negative tests at home. I even went to the clinic and got a urine test there and that was negative also. Last week I had my annual exam and had a pap smear and asked my RN if I could be pregnant and she reassured me that it was impossible with the Mirena but I'm still not so sure. Would she have been able to tell during my exam if I was pregnant or could she have missed it? I'm terrified of being pregnant again so soon. Do I have to abstain completely to be sure I never get pregnant until I'm ready?
I'm a 40 year old woman with a teenaged son. I had my Mirena inserted in November 08. My LMP was in September and I just found out that I'm almost 7 weeks pregnant. They couldn't find the string for the IUD and a ultrasound shows that it slipped out of place and is still up inside me. So yes, you can get pregnant with the Mirena, I seem to be living proof of that, and boy am I not happy about it. I was done with all of this, had no plans of ever being in this situation. I did not do a home pregnancy test, but went to the doctor and the urine test returned an incredibly fast positive they told me. Good luck to any others out there that have this IUD, I have to say I was never happy with it from the beginning, between the heavy heavy periods and bad cramps, and now this.

Well I actually never thought twice about checking into the Mirena until recently.  I got it I believe in Feb of this year and just recently have seen myself in a different light.  I don't like me!  Just last night I sat crying to my husband asking "who am I, what is going on?"  So today I thought I would really research this.  Actually last week I did make an appointment to talk to my doc about getting something else.  I have two boys, 3 and just turned 1, and really am not ready for number 3 yet.  I want something that works but these side affects stink butt!  I too have gained weight, felt pregant, been extremely moody, and soforth. I HATE mirena.  It was actually a sweet find seeing there are so many people who have gone through this same thing with it.  Bye bye Mirena...it's out!  PS my husband is going to be happy to hear that it's the Mirena making me crazy and that it's coming out!  If God wants us to have a baby then we will gladly have another, birth control is just not worth these extreme body changing issues.
I'm 23, and I got the Mirena in January of 2008. My first period came on time a month later - my cramps were so bad my legs gave out and i'd collapse every time they hit. It was reallyreallyreally scary. My bestfriend took me to the hospital and they did a bunch of xrays and checked me out to finally say that... everything was normal, it was just a bad period.

since then my periods have been easier then ever and were like clockwork. i didn't gain weight, didn't have crazy moodswings, nothing.

My last period was mid-September. the week i was supposed to get it in October i was sick and doped up with a really bad cold, so i didn't even notice that i'd missed it. i looked up calculators and what not online and it turns out that i did have unprotected sex during my most fertile days in October... so i could be anywhere from 4 to 9 weeks pregnant.

other than feeling like **** and being exhausted all the time and having to pee, i really haven't noticed a whole lot of changes.

do you guys think i should be worrying? i'm going to take a hpt next week if this next period doesn't show.

i was pregnant once when i was 19 and i knew it the morning after, and i don't have that vibe at all this time... ahhhh...
I have had my mirene iud for over a year. At first at had only cramping after insertion. Then my period completely stopped. My obgyn said that was normal. Well its beens a year and 4 months. I am now experiencing pregnancy symptoms. It started a few months a go with nausia and would go away if I gorged myself on food. Like I did with my first pregnancy! Well then I had sore breasts, fatigue, and then my breasts were leaking closatrom. Now I feel butterflies and like something moving in me( like my first pregnancy). Could I be pregnant too or is this the mirena. Its feaking me out. If my health insurance covered this I would have it removed now! Someone please email me about this. My email is ***@****. Thank you
I've been feeling pregnant for a couple of months now with consistent negative results on the many home pregnancy tests I have taken. Indigestion, insatiable cravings for meat (I have been a vegetarian for seven years and the only time I have craved meat what when I was pregnant with my first two years ago), exhaustion, sore breasts, increased appetite, mood swings and so forth.
I had the Mirena placed in May of '08 and literally did not stop bleeding for six months. Now I have random spotting here and there on top of random cramps that come and go as they please.
I am convinced this needs to come out of my body, and that a male version of a contraceptive should be invented (other than the condom). These symptoms are driving me crazy.
I am pregnant and was on the mirena when i got pregnant. i had it removed yesterday and still pregnant and going good so far. no spotting or bleeding. :) this is my 4th pregnancy and i wasnt expecting this at all. I seen the heart beat already. I have been on the mirena for a year and a half and this past few weeks i havent been feeling good. I felt pregnant. having other kids i knew the symptoms right away. so saturday i took a pregnancy test and it was positive. This is unexpected cause i was told i cant get pregnant on this and it was the best birthcontrol out there. but im gonna keep the baby, even though im a single mom. This is like a miracle baby since my mirena was in place and untouched. my doctor was really shocked cause he said he never seen this before. good luck ladies, I hope this was helpful. Jess from NL
I have read all of the posts.  I have had the Mirena since December of 2006.  I am really happy with it.  Many of you have had worries about being pregnant, but it is completely normal to skip your period with the Mirena.  No worries.  It is also common to still have those "pregnant" feelings, because you still ovulate like any other person, and you still have hormones.  If you are within a year of having a baby or are breastfeeding, you could still miss a period occasionally even without Mirena.  You could still get depressed, even without Mirena.  I have had a lot of the side-effects you all describe, but they could also happen without Mirena.  Many of them are brought on by stress, which new moms definitely have!!!  And mothers of more than one child have even more!

I had the feeling of something moving in my stomach about two years ago.... I searched all over the internet.  Finally, found out it was probably just some indigestion that was going on for awhile.  Most probable culprit:  Stress.  

That said, even I still worry when I feel sick for awhile - "Could I be pregnant?"  I've wasted too much money on those tests.  The Mirena is 99.9% effective, and I love it!  I have my period several times a year, but not all the time.   When I do, it is short.  I haven't gained weight (Well, not because of Mirena anyhow. I gained once I started working full time again - STRESS!).  

Anyhow, hope that alays some of your fears.  There are a lot of other possible causes for your symptoms.  But, if you are still unsure, your ob/gyn can do an ultrasound at any time to check for placement, etc.  I get one every year.  
I do think there is a strong possibility that you get pregnant on the Mirena and it is unable to implant, and that's when you have a period. I don't really know, of course, but I think your theory is sound.  I've often wondered about it myself.  
i have had my mirena for almost a year now and let me tell you what a pain this iud has been for me. i always think i am pregnant my face has broke out like never before and it will not go away. i am crampy almost every other day and sex hurts a lot with it. i feel as it stays in longer the symptoms get worse i am now gaining weight. the moods swings are bad and i am always tired. i swesr this birth control can make a person go crazy. when you really don't want to have anymore kids what else can you do but keep it in. i can tell you that i hate it but i do not want another child. i wish i could get this taken out it is not worth all theses symptoms!
yeah, my doctor did an ultrasound, he said the mirena was in place and not moved. he assumed it was a tubal pregnancy but when he checked my uterus there it was a little embryo with a heart beat. he was shocked to find that I was pregnant cause it was only a 0.1% chance that this could happen. I guess im very fertile. He took out the mirena that day and so far so good. I had all the pregnancy symptoms but I ignored it because I thought my mind was playing tricks on me since I knew it was 99.9% effective. but I did a test anyways since I knew something was not right. sure enough the test showed positive right away. but I do not try to frighten anyone away from the mirena. it is still the best birth control methold out there. If anyone is unsure of being pregnant while on the mirena take a test or go check with your doctor.
has anyone actually got any answers? I got the mirena insered back in may of this year. i havent had any pregnancy symptoms until the past week. my boyfriend has been iraq since june so i havent had any sex. in oct of this year he came home for his 2 week leave...im starting to wonder if i too am pregnant or if its just in my head since i haven thad these symptoms until after he goes back to iraq. hes been gone for 2 weeks now but its been over a month since the first time we had sex...i checked to see if the string from the mirena were still there before he left & it was still there & i also checked to see if it was still there after he left but this time when i checked the opening that te string went into was opened a lot more than i have ever felt...is this just in my head or am i pregnant??
Like all of you, I too have had issues with Mirena. I got mine put in June 2008 and the first week I had non-stop cramps but almost immediately stopped having periods and havent had one since. For the first 6 months I drove myself crazy thinking i was pregnant as I gained alot of weight, had crazy mood swings and no period! I eventually went to the doctor to have her tell me that everything looked normal and that my symptoms should go away after the first year. Well it has almost been a year and a half that i've had it in and most of the symptoms have gone away. I do have spotting once in a while, (or more like pink streaks) and it usually goes away after 2 days. I do still get cramping but nothing that really worries me. I think when i am ready to have another baby i will have mirena removed and never put back in! it has been to much stress! Hope everyone else's story turns out for the best!
im 18 yrs old, and i think i am pregnant with my second child! my son will be 2 in april. i havent had a period since sept, and it is now dec and i still havent came on im i dnt knw what to do! wat do yall think>
I had my mirena inserted in Nov. 08 and have had no problems. I was with my boyfriend for a year and never once used protection at all. however we broke up in aug. and i went back to see him at the end of sept. everything went great and we had unprotected sex the weekend of sept 25th-27th. I started on Oct. 14th, but it wasn't a usual period, they usually last about 7 days, and are somewhat heavy, well this one lasted 5 and was hardly anything. It's now Dec. 4th and i still have started. i'm starting to freak out because in the past month i have noticed my face breaking out a lot more then usual, peeing all the time, headaches, and i'm eating constantly without weight gain, i've had gastric bypass surgery so i'm not used to eating this much, also i have mild cramping from time to time but nothing consistent. i'm beginning to fear that i could be pregnant. i took a hpt but it came back negative, anyone have any opinions??
Hi.
Had  my Mirena inserted  in Oct 07 after my 5th child which was a shocking pregnancy having been on the PIll. Since the insertion of the Mirena, I was bleeding  every 10 days or so.At times it was spotty;then heavy with large blood clots. It went on like this for 2 years, with no set pattern.  Sept and Oct 09 were the first times I had a normal period, just one  a month, and they were neither too heavy or light, just fine. Well November rolled around,and no period. Around a week prior to Thanksgiving, I had slight bleeding, spotty, brown and a couple of clots. I assumed this was the period, except it is early!. Well I am freaking out that I may be expecting and that was implantation bleeding. I took  a HPT  5 days back, and it was negative. I am waiting to take another one tomorrow. I have very tender, swollen breasts,  waves of nausea and am making myself sick with worry.

Most of you have posted FEELING pregnant, but how many of you were actually pregnant whilst on  the Mirena? Do post a follow up after taking the HPT or visiting the Dr office.  I think that will really help those  who do come to this forum in search of answers .
I had the mirena inserted 21/2 years ago, i am 27 and have five children... from the time the mirena was inserted, i have not been able to find the strings... i figured mayber my doc did it on purpose to make sure it stays in... i went in for my check and the mirena was in place, within two weeks of its insertion i gained 17lbs that i have not been able to lose, on top of all the severe pain it has caused me every single month... but due to the fact i have so many children, i decided to continue toughing it out. i had my periods regular through the entire time of the mirina, i am now 37 weeks pregnant with a mirena still inside me ... as they can not find the strings, and my i have hemoraging in my uterus so they also cant see the mirena in an ultrasound, i never missed a period, matter of fact .. the only reason i took a test is cause i lost patience with my son, i had regular and heavy bleeding for the first six months of this pregnancy, that has now stopped, but i am still usure as to how much blood is in my uterus around this baby, and or where the mirena is.... they just tell me the blood and mirena are not in the sack with the baby... so now 37 weeks pregnant with baby number six.... i trust no birth control... and have officiallly decided the pain and bs from the mirena were not worth eduring as i am once again in the exact boat i endured it for... this is my own personal experience though... just thought i would share.
i have had my iud in for about 13 months and have had regular periods until now. the last period i had was in early october and havent had one since and now im lightly spotting. ive been really gassy and very tired. should i take a hpt or just wait it out?
i am 19 years old and have had 2 kids although one passed away at 33 weeks pregnant. i had mirena put in when my son was 6 weeks old and he is now almost 10 months. i have spotted atleast once a week since i have had my iud in and this last month i haven't bled at all. i am feeling all of the symptoms i have had with my other pregnancies. extreme naseau, hot flashes, tired all of the time. my last period was on november 15th so it's not too late but these sypmtoms are all too familiar, i knew i was pregnant with my son before the tests did. i have taken several pregnancy tests which have come out negative but i had one come out semi positive and then negative again there after. i do my monthly string test and i think my strings are sticking out further than the used to. does mirena ever cause false negatives?
hello,
i have had the mirena for 3 years 5 months. last month for the first time in years i had a period. very painful but light. i realise now that it may mean the mirena is 'running out'. ive suddenly been getting mood swings and ive never suffered from pmt, im also very tired, and find it hard to get up (11am+). im not working at the moment so if anything i should be finding it hard to sleep. i wake up every morning with a headache and get cramps everyday without fail, painkillers are not getting rid of the pain. ive started craving random foods, like iced buns (i dont even like them). i dont no if im due for another period because i have never had a regular period. do i wait and see if i get any other symptoms or take a test now? it seems like a lot of people get a negative result with home pregnancy tests, shall i go straight to my doctors and get a blood test? please help
I have had my Mirena since September 2009, had it placed after my second son was born. After 7 straight weeks of bleeding, my doc put me on a birth control pill on top of the iud to control the bleeding, which worked. I had one normal period after that, but skipped my last one. I began to feel nauseated, tender breasts, faint, and sensative to smells. Just like with my pregnancies with my boys. I took a hpt yesterday morning, and it came back positive! But I am now spotting and am having to discuss with my doctors what we should do next bacause the mirena will cause a miscarriage! I thought you couldn't get pregnant with the d*** thing at all! So everyone, monitor your conditions carefully! And if you get that positive hpt, call your doctors immediately!
I've had Mirena for 4 years now. I had it placed right after our daughter was born (she's 4 now). I've been irregular with the IUD and will sometimes gor 2-3 months without a period and when I do get it, it's pretty light with minor cramping and bleeding. So far have not had problems with it untill on Christmas when I was experiencing severe abdominal pain. I had been fine all day long until in the evening a few minutes after using the bathroom. At first I thought I maybe just strained too hard and took some Tylenol and waited. It got so bad that I couldn't move and after t hours of waiting for it to go away, I called my hubby from work and went to the ER. After a a bunch of blood work and a CAT scann they said that my lymph nodes down there were inflamed but other then that they could not find any thing wrong. They did do a blood pregnancy test and it came out negative. The said that at the time there doesn't seem to be anything major but to keep an eye on the sypmtoms as it could mean they may still be something wrong. (they said they  may do a pelvic exam but they never did...) So here it is two days later and while I'm not in pain, I do still feel a lot of tenderness and pressure in my uterine area. When I press on it, I swear my uterus feels hard.
So here's the thing. A few months agoa I started having some of the same pregnancy symptoms I had with DD, (ie. the smell of cooking eggs made me wanna barf, and they never did untill I was preggo). I took a HPT and it was neg and not long after that I got my period. I still have this feelng that I still may be pregnant. Is there a chanct that the blood test could be wrong? I did feel inside to make sure that maybe the IUD wasn't falling out and I felt the sting and no IUD emerging. I don't know what's going on. Any thoughts??
I will do my best to post the answer when I get it. I haven't had a period going on 8 weeks now. I have all the symptoms of pregnancy (already have 3 kids) and have been having them for weeks now only each week they increase or become more intense i.e. morning sickness, tired, sore breasts, urinate a lot, etc. I have taken hpt tests and all come out negative. I do wonder if the IUD would generate negative tests somehow. I am scheduling an appointment as the thought of a miscarriage is terrible, none the less I am shocked as you can imagine I had the IUD put in for the simple reason to not become pregnant. I have had it since Oct 07 with no problems with the exception of headaches which I have no clue if they are related.  I also have been regular as clock work. 1 week before my period was due I spotted 1x and haven't seen any sign of a period since and I am now 3 1/2 weeks late. Is it really possible that they wear out before 5 years? I would really like to know as the ladies in this forum that are pregnant have had their IUD's in for a while (couple of years).
I had my first child June 13th 2008. I was only 20 at the time and decided to get something very effective as far as birth control...I chose Mirena. I had it placed at my 6week checkup. I had pain and crampin after the placement and bleed pretty much constant for about 2 and half months. Then all the symptoms subsided and since then it has all been great.( My partner complained of the strings but thats all) After a while he quite complaining and I assumed everything was workin properly. Recently I have been having some acne some crampin and have been very tired. Then my partner complains the other day that he feels the strings again....Im not sure whats up. Im having pregnancy like symptoms but I havent had a period in over a year with the Mirena so no hint there as far as MISSING A PERIOD!! Should I take a HPT? I cant feel the strings either...Could something be wrong after all this time?
i had my mirena put in on march 21st of this year i cramped and bled for every second of those 2 weeks then after i occasionally spotted  but never got a regular period.  i get horrible cramps occasionally but still no period?????? but anyway i have been super tired, smelling random things that are not even in the same building as me like food and superglue!!!!, and  the other night i even had a dream that my iud fell out and was broken... im not really sure what that was about, and today... though i was going to hurl, which i feel like that now   hence me being on this site   i got this damn thing so i would not get pregnant   im going to be mad as F*%# if i am
I am now almost 15 weeks pregnant. I was on the mirena iud for over a year and had been feeling pregnancy symptoms. this is going to be my 4th child. it is very unexpected for me since i knew that the mirena was 99.9% effective. nothing is 100% against pregnancy. only abstinence. I had to get the mirena removed at 6 weeks pregnant. since then no complications and ultrasound states that baby looks fine. im 25 years old and a single mother and not ready for another baby. i did a home pregnancy test at 5 weeks and it turned up positive. my doctor was really shocked to find i was pregnant. hope you girls the best :)
oh and my mirena was securely inserted and not moved also.
I am also 17 weeks pregnant after having the mirena for almost 2 years. My MIrena couldn't be found at all and we are unsure if it is in at all. They wouldn't do an xray because of the risks to the baby and it couldn't be seen on ultrasound. I wouldn't recommend this birth control to anyone!!! I wish you all the luck.
I have had my mirenia since feburary 2008 and i have been feeling nauseation and heavy cramps i don't have a period at all and i can't feel my strings i am confused what does this meaqn i have been slleping alot lately and moody i have 3 kids already can someone please help me with what you thin is going on???
I have had my IUD since May of this year.  I have had irregular periods, and some of them are brown color which is not normal, bad cramps, bloating, tender breasts, nasea and just a bunch of other preganancy symptoms.....  I swear I can sleep all day!!

So I went to the urgency care near my house and they did a urin pregnancy test on me and it came up negative.  She had me lie on my back and she was touching my pelvic area.  It was very tender down to the right side of my ovary.  When I had looked at the blue paper she had given me, it said " R/O Ovarian Cysts".

I go for my ultrasound this Wednesday to see what is going on, plus I'm seeing my family doctor the same day to take out this stupid IUD.  I have had nothing but problems with this thing.  I have gained cysts, and other health problems that are just rediculous!!! I will post more when I know what is going on, but please for everyone reading this with same syptoms (symptoms) as me.... GET CHECKED!!!! You never know what might happen or what you could have, this is important.... I do not recommend this to anyone!!
i have had my mirena in for 6 months on the 14th january  i havent had a normal perios (periods) as yet  this month i'm 2 days late sore breast my breast are leaking a clear liquid like it did when i was giving birth to my son i had 1 still birth and 9miscarriges  doctors decided to give me the mirena for 3 yrs and try again i dont have children and the last thing i need now is a pregnancy just started to get my life on track i'm 26 yrs old husband is constantly asking if i could be  and i told him its impossible!
there is here 1 case that i red so far  that it has happened  i'm scared not coz i can be pregnant if  not cos i dont want another miscarrige or D&C. i know not many people got an actual answer  but has anyone thought that the sympthoms may indicate the last period    That can actually happen  alot of women  dont get periods with the mirena!  after a certain amount of time!  i would love to have a child but  not another miscarrige  me and my husband are working on the adoption part  now  and this is the last thing we need.

if there is someone out there that can  tell us  whether or not its possible to get pregnant  with an IUD ?  would be muchly apreciated!  

Hey omg I had mirana put in may 08 an everything went like they said. U know first few months lot or light but long time bleeding then little to no periods. Which happened I got regular periods after 3-4 months. And now in 2010 haven't had my period sence June 09. N now I have pregnacy symptoms sore breast I have the same pain as most of u, same really bad pain when ovulating. I thought it was somthing else until I read everones comments. Now I have migranes (migraines) like everyday. I have some cramps from time to time during the days. I feel bloaded n I thought I was pregnent I haven't checked yet. But they make me laugh at the clinic cuz they always tell u o take a test to be sure. That's there solution for every pain or cramp. Thank u so much for ur info it helped a lot to figure out what was causin such bad pain an migranes (migraines)
My Mirena fell out.  I have no idea when or how.  I never saw it or felt it.  The dr cut my strings because my husband could feel it during sex so I was never able to feel a string.  I had it in for 11 months.  I ended up with pregnancy symptoms and my husband made me take a test.  It was positive and so were the 3 following tests.  I called frantic to the dr and went in the next day for an ultrasound.  The mirena was GONE and in it's place was a 3 week old baby growing.  I am full of mixed emotions and very scared.  The birthcontrol I paid $1000 for and only had in for not even a yr has completely failed me.  DO NOT TRUST MIRENA.  

This will be our 4th child and my husband is jobless and I work for myself.  I have a history of complete bedrest with my other 3 children.  My doctor was NOT sympathetic and had no explanation for me.  I'm pissed and now pregnant and my whole family is going to have to transition into this.  I had no choice in the matter and we feel betrayed and thrown into this situation unwillingly.  

I would love to hear from you if this has happened to you.  
Hey guys!! I went and got all my tests done so I have to wait until I get responses back from TWO!!! doctors :( ..... they can't find my string!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they found it in the vaginal ultrasound they have to induce me in order to get it out..... this stupid thing is such a pain in the arse!!!!! I'm going back to the darn pill..... no more mirena......

Ever since I've had this in I've gained Osteoarthritis, and tumors in my hip and cysts on my ovaries...... I think these things are bad luck :(
I been on the Mirena a year and half now & I LOVE it!!! I have a period like every 3months & they be as normal as before I got the Mirena I have a 3year old son & I'm not planning on having/wanting anymore kids rite now so the Mirena stays lol
I had my first IUD fitted about 6 years ago and LOVED it! No period.. no cramping.. everything was amazing... So when it expired I naturally thought I would just have another one put in. I had the exact same Mirena fitted and this time....... I only cramped for a day or 2.. now I randomly bleed but only a little bit.. but I literally feel like I am losing my mind. I have been in baby-mode hardcore and I don't even like babies. My son is 6 years old. He was a planned only child and now all of a sudden after getting this IUD I am baby crazy.. and I act pregnant all the time.. I'm gaining weight in my lower abdomen just like when I was pregnant. Over the last 10 months since I have had it I have taken 7 pregnancy tests. My boobs are swollen.. im nauseaus.. forgetful... I cant concentrate. I have scheduled my appt to get it removed on the 29th.
But I have to say... I LOVED it the first time. I'm hoping that I will be able to take this new one out for 6 months and get my normal hormones and everything else back in order. And at that point my husband and I will either start to try for another baby (if im still in baby-mode) or I will have another Mirena put in. Wish me luck!  :)
I have had my Mirena IUD since Feruary of '09... two months after our 3rd child was born. I chose the IUD because we didn't want any more children and according to everything I was told, it is supposed to be more effective than the pill...and worry free. It was very painful during insertion (if they offer a sedative take it) but every thing after that went fine. I have never been able to feel the strings because the Dr. cut them short for my husband's comfort. It has been less than a year and I recently found out I am pregnant with number four. I have not noticed it falling out which I think would be obvious as badly as it hurt going in. My OBGYN could not find it via vag. ultrasound... but he said sometimes you can't. He tried to manually view the strings using a cervical speculum (ouch)... he said he could see them but as he was trying to get them to pull it out I started bleeding so he stopped. He informed me that it is usually safe to continue a pregnancy with and IUD in place and we would just continue on as normal and he would remove the IUD during my c-section. Since I found out that I am pregnant I have heard from several people, including an OB nurse that this happens all the time... no big deal. Wish someone would have told me before I chose an IUD!!!!
I have had my Mirena for a year and some months now... my period has never come on time and sometimes i've had spottings the entire month... this time it's different.... not a single drop of blood.... i am dizzy all the time ... nausated... sleepy... back pains.... light period pains.... and no blood.... I have taken 4 pregnancy tests... nothing!!! I have an appt with my ob/gyn on monday... I have a feeling that even if you are pregnant since your hormones are being controleed in a way by the mirena the test might come out negative... is this possible.. who knows... i guess i will find out on monday!!!
I have had Merena for 2 years this month and its soooo crazy how we are all having the same symptons! I have gained 40 lbs, moody all the time, depressed (on and off antidepressents) on anti anxiety now and have been for the 2 yrs on the stuff. i hate it and if I had insurance i would get it taken out. I have headaches, not sexual Ever!!!, i spotted the first couple years and now I am having a very heavy period. There have been times when I thought I may be preggo....but to no avail. I would never recommend an IUD to anyone not even my worst enemy. I would rather never have sex again just to get this thing out. I want to fdeel good again. LOOSE all this damn weight! I am at the same weight I was full term with my first pregnancy. WTF???
i have an iud in for almost a year. i can't fine the string and also i feel somthing moving in my bally. i gain10pound and i have been eatting and drinking more water that ever. i have my period on date after it soppose to come every mo. so time i have a bd pain in the lower part of my bally to my back. i took a hpt and it cam back neg. i took a blood test and it came back neg. i don't know what going on can someone help me
hi girls, well i been having my iud since october of 07, since i got i been feeling good with it, it hasnt put any weight with it, ive even lost 20lbs the only problems that i have is that sometimes i feel somethinh move in my lower stomach, at first i was freaking out, but then my friends that have it told me that is normal. i was never regular in my cycles and since i had the iud i go weeks with out it and i only spot for 1-2 days,(is great) but now i havent started my cycle in 1 month ive been cramping more than usual amd more painful, my breast are more sensitive also, am scared to go to the dr. cause of what he might tell me.But i also heard that when u loss weight the IUD might move and u can become pregnant! what do ya think???
I had my first mirena put in after the birth of my second son. I LOVED IT!!  The only symptom I had was acne under my lower lip, but i  had had that all through my pregnancy.  After almost 5 years I had it removed and had another one inserted.  Different story,  I have had problem since it was placed. By the way on the first one I lost 75 pounds.  I have lost 10 since the last but I am stuck I can't lose any more. I still have the acne. NO LIBIDO.  Depressed, I don't feel like doing anything. A couple weeks ago my breasts started hurting really bad. It lasts for almost 2 weeks. Oh and all of the sudden I am really sensitive, Like i  cry at disney movies alot, cry cry cry. It suck. So I LOVE LOVE LOVED my first Mirena BUT now I hate the second one , whats up with that?
The reason birth controls work is because they release hormones like estrogen, oxytocin, and progesterone to keep you from releasing an egg. Mirena makes your body think you're already pregnant in order to prevent pregnancy, so naturally, since your body thinks you're pregnant but you're not releasing HCG, it's possible for it to emulate pregnancy. I had my daughter in May of 2009, and I've been abstinent since. I got Mirena in early January, and my body is emulating pregnancy symptoms as well, and I haven't had sex for almost 10 months.
I don't understand the Mirena IUD.  I have had mine since the birth of my 3rd baby in Sept 2007.  I've never had any problems with it, until last month.  I had EVERY pregnancy symptom I had with my 3 previous pregnancies.  I swore I was pregnant.  Then about a week before my expected period, I had a very light period and the symptoms seemed to dissipate.  I thought maybe I miscarried, but it wasn't a heavy period at all.  It's very weird!  I'm still hungry all the time and have put on at least 5 lbs in the last month.  I still feel like I'm having some pregnancy symptoms, but not like before.  Could I be pregnant or is it just the hormones of the Mirena?
omg everybody is scaring me!!!!!!!!!! because i thought the  things where haveing was just came with mirena . but after i have read everybodys im really scared because me and husband have to kids  and just now really getting on our feet ... after two years  of struggle  i have losing weight and gaining weight and i have took pregnancy test  that said neg and postive i threw away because my husband would flip out !!!!!!!! he saids he wouldn't mind alittle girl but not yet ?? what should i do!!!!!!!!!!! im too scared too take a test becaus e im afraid of the results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had mine placed in July 2009 and things have been fine until lately when I stated getting that fluttery feeling and am really tired.  My 9 mo. old does not sleep all night and I have been sick so I was dismissing my symptoms.  After reading this I am pretty sure it is just the IUD but am going to push my hubby to get cut as well.  The IUD was only meant to be a temporary until my hubby could get time off work but he got fired a month ago so he has plenty of time off but stays home with the 2  kids.  I am also going to call my doc. and have the placement checked. I paid $900 for this thing and it better work!
wow in october 2008 i had mirena imserted after having my daughetr in aug 2008. i now feel sick all the time contant headahes nausia with n with out takin meds for the headaches im 20 yrs old i only have 1 child but i feel lik eim going through pregnancy i took 2 tests a few months ago buth neg but i swear all signs say i am but i have no idea. this is my 2nd mirena bc my 1st one fell out just 3 months after getting it. please give me n e info if you have it plzzzz...

~Melissa
im 20 yrs old, i had mirena place n january 09. The first month was crazy i had the sharp pains n everything after that my periods returned but lighter. Now all of a sudden, my period skipped a month. i've been taken pregnancy test every week now n they all turn up neg. i do not lik the way mirena makes me feel, tired all of the time, moody, n i've gained A LOT of weight. its crazy yall. im scared to go to the dr. i already hav one kid n that's all that the dr. told me i can have because i had heart failure due to my pregnancy n almost lost my life. im scared to go to the dr. n get that bad news that im pregnant again.
I had mine inserted in july of 09 then promptly removed in Oct due to horrible adominal (abdominal) pain and all the crapy symptoms... I am now off of BC and couldnt be happier honestly... I didnt have a period with mine as I was on Depo before hand. It took till Feb and a round of progesterone for my period come back and Im still not sure if they are back for good or not.
I've had my mirena since January of 08... I really thought it'd be the answer to my prayers as I am too forgetful to remember to take pills and can't stand needles. I had immense pain in my abdomen the first month, and for awhile there after felt perfectly fine. It was directly after having my first child (which had anencephaly and didn't make it) so it was extremely important that I not get pregnant until I had time to plan it out. I've been with the same guy since I was pregnant.
Until the 6th month, I was in the best shape since before my pregnancy, I've always been a small girl (only 20 then weighing 115), but once my period started to become lighter, my whole body changed. After a year, my period completely stopped. In fact it has been a year since I've even SEEN my period. Not once! However, I've had ALL the same symptoms as everyone else. No libido, breast pains, extremely moody, extremely sensitive (I cry at everything... commercials, the news... I mean EVERYTHING!) my boyfriend and I argue all the time because my whole entire mood has changed to being almost bi-polar. I've gained weight that I can never seem to lose and I look worse than I ever have. I went through a time where I kept losing extreme amounts of hair (everywhere on my body) and I barely have any eyelashes now. I haven't really struggled with acne, as I never have, but I still get a few here and there. Also it seems my pee smells really bad? And a vaginal smell I can never get rid of, no matter how hard I try. I sweat way more than I ever did and stink all the time because of it. I'm a hygiene freak (Practically OCD) and so this has become a huge problem to me. I feel weak, tired, irritable, very light headed, and sick a lot. I've gotten sick more in the past year than I have ever been in my whole entire life.
I really like the fact that I don't have a period, and dread the thought of getting it out and going through that whole menstruation cycle. However, I've had terrible cramps and PMS almost all the time. Which I never used to do before I was pregnant. Also, not having to worry about anything with my boyfriend as he does like to have sex alot is pretty amazing. It has its very few perks as far as I know I'm not going to get pregnant... but I feel pregnant. Which I understand is because of the hormones that your body feel like that especially when I haven't had my period in so long. I just feel like I'm going through menopause and I'm only 21!

Can you take the mirena out yourself? What are the risks? I'd like to know because I'm seriously considering taking it our myself since I have no insurance to see a doctor.
I have had my Mirena since I was 17. Put in Sept. 2004, and I am now going to be 23 and will have had it in for five years. It will need to be taken out soon! The only thing I have experienced with Mirena is the irregular bleeding. There was no pain or prolonged bleeding for me after I had it inserted, not even the regular "You'll bleed for two months". My cramps are normal, no major mood swings. But! My periods have been irregular. Sometimes I will have two periods in one month. Each lasting a week. Sometimes I won't have a period for a month or two, and other months I will have what seems like a never-ending period. I have never had a pregnancy scare while on the Mirena. Thus far it has worked wonderfully. The only thing I can say is.... everyone is different. Everyone has different levels of hormones, and there is no one fool proof solution. *shrugs* The only good advice I can give, is, follow your gut. And if in doubt, get it taken out! *shrugs*  Sorry I'm not much help guys! Good luck to all of you who have suffered. :/
WE ALL HAVE THE SAME SYMPTOMS I THINK THE PROBLEM IS MIRENA NOT A BABY JUST IN CASE GO GET SOME BLOOD WORK DONE IS SO SCARY I HATE FEELING PREGNANT ALL THE TIME WITH MIRENA, I FEEL PREGNANT AGAIN I MAY GO TO THE DOCTOR TOMORROW I HOPE I CAN TAKE IT OUT
Could anyone LIST symptoms they have while on Mirena and actually being pregnant? Thanks that would be more helpful..

I had my Mirena inserted in October of 2006 after having our second child. It was and has been wonderful. No periods after about a year. I did get pregnant with it in August of 2008. It was an ectopic pregnancy and had to be removed. It was extremely painful. I didn't know I was pregnant until I got into the emergency room. I was having SEVERE abdominal pains and heavy bleeding. I honestly didn't put 2 and 2 together. I was bleeding internally (the doctor said he scooped about a cup of blood out of my abdomen) and my tube was 5x the normal size. I had to have it removed by emergency surgery. I was out of work for about 4 days, and went back without any complications. He was able to keep the IUD in place (although I seriously considered having him tie my tubes while he was in there) and it's been in ever since without any more complications. I'm due to have it taken out this year, and I will have another one put in in it's place. It's been a good thing for us even though it's hard to think of what could have been.
ok i have had mine iud since june of 2007 and its always been iffy on if i have a period or not.  but have always experience pregnancy like symptoms since i got it. i think its the mirena iud itself, in some cases it can be possible nothing is 100 percent but i think follow your gut or contact your doctor cuz you never know what can happen.
Reading through these posts, I see a lot of women who experience pregnancy symptoms, but not many confirmed pregnancies.  I've had mine since August 2008 and I LOVE it. Had the usual cramping post-insertion, and the spotting for almost 6 months, but have been free and clear ever since.  No weight gain.  No hormone induced emotional outbursts.  I've had the sore breasts, fatigue, etc that can indicate pregnancy, but those same symptoms can also indicate PMS.  I've taken a pregnancy test per month because I'm paranoid and it's always negative. BTW, you can get 3-pack pregnancy tests at drugstore[dot]com for pretty cheap. I just order like 10 packs at a time and use throughout the year.  If you're freaking out about being possibly pregnant, you're probably not pregnant and you're gonna drive yourself nuts. Take a test and relax.  If you can't bear the symptoms, take it out.  Mirena has been a lifesaver for me. The pill made me crazy and condoms are ridiculous for people who are in committed relationships with a safe partner. I've never heard that the effectiveness is only  years, so that's very informative news! Thanks to those who shared that. I wish you all the best in your efforts to find the perfect birth control. Anyone want to sound off on whether they've had a confirmed pregnancy while on the Mirena?  
I have been pregnant whilst usin the Mirena twice, both times the pregnancy ended with a missed miscarriage, The Mirena was in place 2yrs 1st time + nearly 3yrs 2nd time. I did a pregnancy test 1st time just 2 satisfy myself as wen I described my symtoms (symptoms) It did sound like I was pregnant so it was a shock wen It turned positive but that was back in 2002 wen they were still sayin tiny risk of pregnancy + more effective than bein sterilised, I thought it would be unlikely 2 get pregnant again so I had another but again another pregnancy..I still use the Mirena but its more to control my moods, I have suffered from depression on + off for yrs, worse wen PMT kicks in + usin the Mirena keeps that at bay.. I do not use it as a contraception + I dont advice anyone to use it other than to control periods + PMT
Hi so I got my IUD in april of last year so its been a year now it was the most painful thing I can recall not even labor hurt that bad and boy did I bleed from the clamps but I only bleed for three days after and than have been period free, Until.. this last month I just dont feel right I have been getting baby fever, dreaming about being prego but I know that its not what I want could it be the hormones plus I started spotting here and there which hasnt happened once the whole time I have been on it the past year or before i was on birthcontrol, some times my left ovary kills me I have gone in they felt it and said it was normal size and not to worry but for a girl you worry about all your girl stuff is anyone going through what I am?
I've had my Mirena in since 03/2007 and have just become pregnant.  I went to the doctor and she removed the iud which was still in perfect place.  Ugh... How does this happen?  I am now freaking out about miscarriage!  She removed the iud yesterday and now I wonder when/if I miscarry how long?  When am I in the clear?  She said I shouldn't be on "light duty" but feel like it's best.  Has anyone delivered a normal, healthy baby that conceived while using an iud?
hello all...i had the iud put in on mar 16 2010..i felt good, the cramping stopped the same night i had it put in...had my peroid on the 23 of mar when i should have had it..i went to the doctor to have it checked on april 7, everything was good still there...but on april 22 i got sick and throw up and i never do that...i only do that when i am preg...my breasts hurt and i have been really tired even after i get alot of sleep...i am really scared i am preg but is it to early to take a test?? i dont know what to do...also i am spotting a bit but no peroid yet..
Hi everyone,
wow I am glade i looked this up, i have the mirena (i have had it since 2008). I didn't have my period last month, just some extremely light spotting, and this month its the same thing, last night out of no where i through up... and then felt fine...and i haven't done that sense i had my two year old daughter..... i took a cheep pregnancy test this morning but it came back negative...should i go see the doctor any way?
I have had my Mirena since April of 2008.  I didn't bleed for 3 months like everyone else.  In fact, I haven't had the cramping and horrible periods...if anything my period just would last for 2 or 3 days and it wasn't heavy...just a light period.  I have had depression issues and migraines ever since I got the mirena but i never thought it was because of the mirena.  Now, I'm thinking otherwise.  Anywho what i'm getting at is, I usually start my period around the very end of the month or within the first day or two of the month.  Well, last month about mid month I spotted for about a day or two but it wasn't normal.  It was brown, like dried up blood or something and it was very light.  I was confused at the time wondering why my period would change so suddenly but then no sooner then i bought tampons, it stopped.  Now, here i am on the 6th of month with no period.  I'm feeling extra sleepy...VERY emotional...crying at the drop of the hat and over stuff that normally wouldn't make me cry.  I crave random stuff...and i just feel pregnant.  My daughter is 2 and a half and I didnt want to have anymore kids til she was at least 5 but looks like a baby may be in the cards for me sooner then I thought.  I have taken 2 pregnancy tests but they both came out negative.  I had that problem before where I was pregnant but i didnt find out til much later because it didnt show up on a HPT or even a blood test...Im going today to the doc to get a pregnancy test and I will let everyone know what the results are.  I know one thing I learned from all of this...if I am pregnant...I won't be recommending the Mirena to anyone anymore.  
I got IUD Feb 22, 2010. I've had none of my typical PMS symptoms and my bleeding is less but also spotty and irregular.
I do feel tired a lot but most recently feeling nauseous all week and my breasts are very sore for the 1st time since I got IUD. I have not been back for a follow up. I took OTC prego test and it was negative. Also my head is spinning on and off. I'm going to family Dr. this afternoon but my sinuses are also bothering me so who knows but def. prego type symptoms and my boyfriend has started to come inside me so.... uugghhhhh...........
I have had the Mirena for a year now. The first symptoms the mirena caused was : real bad bloating, fatigue, nautiousness (usually in the morning), swollen feet, of course bleeding, cramps and some dizziness. When I did get it inserted, firstly the doctor tried four weeks after I had my baby and my uterus was still not healed (the worst pain in my life, (even worse than labor w/o pain medication) was trying to put this thing in!! But I did decide to have it because I already have two little boys now 1 and almost 3, and with this economy we really can't afford to have another. So I did finally get it, event hough I initially tried to get it right after my first baby, I was told that medicaid didn't cover it. Then viola! It did the whole time!! So second baby came due to BC pills. :)   Most of my friends that have atleast two kids have the mirena, and of those, 3 have gotten pregnant within two years of having it.  I also met this woman who was pregnant with her fourth child she told me: child 1 was from condoms, child 2 was from BC, child 3 was from the arm inplantation (implantation) , and child 4? the Mirena! Is the only answer a hysterectomy? Nope,  I worked with a woman who had one, as well as her boyfriend had a vasectomy, and they also conceived a child (both were over 50 too!). After the tests to prove both were done right. I guess the saying is right 'god only gives you how many he knows you can handle'. I for one am hoping,very strongly, that my mirena works.  But enough with my rambling on, :), I have had it a year and have had hardly no side effects after the first 4 months. The only ones that may come up every now and then would be dizziness, lower sex drive and little sick feeling in my stomach every 3 months or so. Light spotting also, but I can deal with that. I have had no period in 7 months now. No significant weight gain. It differs from person to person.
My Mirena was inserted in May 2005.  In the beginning I did experience some heavier than normal bleeding and some more significant cramping but after the 3rd or 4th period those went away.  My periods got lighter and lighter and by the 7th month of it being in they stopped all together.  The only weird thing I have experienced is after 4 1/2 years of not having a period - I got it today.  I'm attributing it to the fact that my 5 years is up and hopefully won't have another "adjustment phase".  

I feel for all of you that are having problems with this.  I've always felt happy that I found out about this birth control as I have one daughter (whose 7) and have no interest in having more kids.  Thanks for all of the posts though - especially those who are on their "second run".  Its nice to know what others have experienced so I know what's common.
I have had my Mirena IUD for a little short of 6 months. I got pregnant with my first while on Yaz and am now fearing that I am pregnant again.  I have abdominal pains, weight gain regaurdless of my sparse eating habits as well as spurts of vomiting and diarehha and fatigue.  My problem is that after the intial bleeding with Mirena I havent had a period so I have no way of know if I missed a period as well as kinowing that being a nursing new mom can cause many of my symptoms.  Im so confused and am in need of some advice. Can anyone help?
I've had my mirena in since Jan. 2008. I never had lots of bleeding, I got my period every month, it lasted about 7 days but was always light. I am now about 2-3 weeks late on my period, my breasts are denser and sore and i'm lactating. I took a hpt last night and it came out negative. Planning on going to the doctor monday morning but wondering if I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill....?
I've had mirena since May 12, 2008. I belived my doctor when he told me it would help with my heavy period. It sure helped but not in the way I wanted. I've had terrible migraine and spotting that last for weeks. I have never missed a period since I had it, my period would last for about a week with a lot of spotting after. Only last month it got worse. Right before my period started I started getting this watery discharge which ran down my legs, thank god I was home, very embarrasing. I went to my Dr. did some test and they all came back normal. My cyle came and lasted a week very light but then I spotted for another week and a half every single day, My cycle came again this month and same exact scenario like last month. My sex drive also is almost non existent compared to my prior mirena days. I called my Dr. today and my appt. is on Thursday, I wish I  had seen these comments before because I know I would be mirena free right now. I will keep everyone posted after my appointment on Thursday.
I got Mirena in Feb 2010 it hurt so bad it felt like contractions. I bled for about 10 days, since then I have had no period, back pain, abdominal pain constantly, flutters, heartburn, fatigue, boobs hurt nipples hurt more, eat like no tomorrow n woke up @ 4 times in the middle of the night throwing up, every symptom of being pregnant. I called my doctor to set an appointment but they keep telling me itz normal, idk help plz
hey well i had mirena inserted in july of 09 and it really hurt i got prego when i was 15 i had my daughter 2 months after u turned 16 this mirena is killing me i have veryy bad cramps i feel verry sick and scared my mood swings chage dramasticly it even almost caused my hubby to brake up with me i would love to take it out but i rather deal  with the pain then to deal with another baby anytime soon im 17 and my daughter just turned 14 months right now i feel sick like throwing up but its verry light i feel veryy bad crammping i have had so manny problems i had overian cystz and while having intercorse one popped i had to be taken to the ER because i wouldnt walk or even stnd up im scared  to get preg again and tramatized
I had my IUD put in about 2years ago. The other day I ended up in the hospt. very ill feeling. Bad cramps, throwing up, dry hevs, not eating or drinking, when I had to poop it was blood. They said I just had a bad flu and needed to watch what I ate b.c my body wasnt handling food well. Today I woke up bleeding, I have not had a period in over 6mo. It is a light pink. Do you think i am pregnant?
i had my mirena put in a little over a year ago...my son is now 1 years old!! Anyway they tell you to feel for your  strings after u have a period and i havent had a period and i went to check my strings and i couldnt find them!! i have been hurtin in my stomach and back bad!!! i have been sick... i cant eat anything without gettin sick... i have gained some weight too!! Do you think im pregnant??
I am 21 and i have 2 girls. one is only 3 months. I had the mirena put in durin mid may this year. I havent had a period since. For the past week and a half i have had all my prego symptoms including the sinus cold i have only had twice(at the begenning of my other 2 pgntcy) I started cramping yesterday and its worse this morning all on my right side and in my back now. I have a head ach and i have been so tired. And i just started spotting. Its not the regular light pink its almost brown. I have read post after post on this web site and others some say hpt and blood dont work. Im not on insurance and dont want to go to the dr for nothing. What do yall think.
I have had my Marina in for about 2 years now, and about 4 days ago i have had major major pains, its on  the left side and travels up my stomach and down my leg, and i have has some spotting. Kinda worried whats going on, the pain is so bad. I have never had a period the whole time so i dont know if this is normal. Im going to go to the doctor today or tomorrow to check it out because the pain is just so bad!!!  But is this normal ????
i have had the mirena for 3 years now and had no major problems with it before. Just this last month i have gained wieght, had bad acne, and am craving food that i've never used to like before. i've taken a hpt and it came out neg and had a light period on the 6th of this month but i started bleeding again on the 27th. not realy sure whats going on or if anything is going on. i think it might be just all in my head but its realy driving me crazy. please help!
if any of you are having weird pains or weight gain, you need to go to your dr, only they can tell you what it is. if u simply take what someone thinks it could be as true, u could miss a very serious infection(which can harm your fertility permanently!!) or if u are indeed pregnant can harm the baby. see the dr ladies, thats what they are there for!!
anyways, im 24 and i have had my mirena in since january at my 6 week checkup postpartum. was a nightmare! i bled for 4 months straight and they told me that was rare but possible...figures! as if having a baby wasnt hard enough on a girl! the bleeding is still off and on and irregular with every symptom in the book coming and going whenever it should please...my dr thinks it could be a thyroid problem or my bodys reaction to the hormones in the mirena. remember, mirena is not the old fashion type of iud, it contains estrogen, which can do wacky things to your body!! however i can no longer feel my strings either, are there a lot of people who have this problem?? going for a check up in 2 weeks, hopefully its still working and we're in the clear for another 4  1/2 years!!
Hi I think majority of people are just suffering preg symptoms from mirena-you think about it, the mirena is a devise inserted to make your uterus think it's preg, of course your body is going to get confused!
I too have all these ailments and are sick of taking preg tests to be sure....my hubby is sick of it aswell and thinks I'm loopy...question is is it worth it???????
Hi everyone! I have a Mirena and I love it. However, this is the second one I've had inserted. The first time I got the Mirena I started experiencing swollen/sore breasts, nausea, and cramping about 9 months after insertion. Luckily, I work for an OB/GYN so I took a blood pregnancy test. Results were positive. I got an ultrasound and the Mirena was in place which I didn't doubt because I could still feel the strings. I was so early that the pregnancy was seen in the ultrasound yet. Over the duration of 2 weeks I repeated my blood work and I was in fact pregnant. I had to have the Mirena removed and after about 1 week I miscarried. The chance of me getting pregnant was slim but it happened. Again, my Mirena was in place, I could feel the stings. My OB/GYN said that if I had not had a pregnancy test so early on that I might of just miscarried anyway and just would of thought it was a heavy period. I decided to re-insert the Mirena only because I can not trust myself to remember to take anything else. I unfortunately don't have any peace of mind because I'm always worried it will fail AGAIN.
Well i have had my IUD for 11 months and I havent had a period in two years now all of a sudden im bleeding a little and have a few sharp pains in my side every once in a while. Im scared though because my breast are sore and swollen and i havent had a period in so long that i dont know if thats what it is or if its something else because ive also been taking amoxicillin for two weeks. If anyone could give me any advice it would be much appreciated!!
-thank you!
Hi Ladies,

I had my mirena put in a little over 5 months ago, and I absolutely LOVE it!! I am like many in that for 2 months straight not only did i eat like i was in my 9th month of pregnancy but i had non stop bleeding, nothing to heavy but still a pain.... In any case, according to my dr & few other women friends of mine, feeling like your pregnant (although very nerve wrecking) is very common, (i constantly feel like i'm prego's agian) so TRY not worry, but if you are concerened or just need peace of mind make an appt. We're all different & the Mirena is going to affect us all in different ways, at the end of the day u just need to do what's best for you & not let your selves get carried away by what other's say.
Hello Im 18 years old & im the mother of a two year old little girl :)
I've had my mirena for about two years now never had any problems in the first year didnt have any periods which my doctor said that is normal couple months later I started having pregnancy symtoms (symptoms) so i took a test it came up positive but the line was really light i called my doctor for an appointment the appointment was two weeks away 4 days before my appointment i started bleeding really bad i make it the the doctors they do blood work and say that im no longer pregnant and that my mirena is perfectly in place so idk if i had a miscarraige (miscarriage) or what happen but now 6 months later its happening all over positive pregnancy test again but now im having serious cramps lower back pains vomiting and horrible headaches i have an appointment on the 26th of july but idk if i can wait that long... what should i do please help!
I have had my mirena in for only 4 months and have been having severe headaches, sharp abdominal pain, severe mood swings, severe depression, and even heartburn, nausea, fatigue and more... i thought that this iud would be a great idea since i am horrible at taking pills but have been second guessing my decision and thought that i would look my side effects up and it turns out that alot of women have these problems and there is a web site that i found where they are signing a petition to have the makers of the mirena send out all of the possible side effects... the web addy is http://www.mirena-awareness.webs.com/...... I hope that this helps explain alot more to all of you who have questions.
I signed and will tell everyone I can. This has been a horrible ordeal for me and I will have mine removed on the 2 of august yyyeeeeaaa!
Hey ya'll, here's my update! I had mine removed yesterday 8/2/10! Yeayaya woooohooo! The removal ( mine had no strings and was too far up, so I had to have a procedure to get it out) wasnt too bad! It was only a 10 minute thing once they actually set me up. I had an IV and they gave me a sedative in the IV that didnt totally knock me out but I felt no pain. they inserted some sort of extra small camera (I didnt know this, it's just what they told me, I was close to knocked out) and went in vaginally and removed it. She showed it to me and I waited for about 15 minutes before they stuff wore down a bit before I left. It didnt hurt, I cramped and was a little sore and still a little sore now but nothing major. Lite bleeding right now and the nurse said I could do a 7 day cleanse to help clear out any toxins. I got yasmin birth control pill and I feel fine. I take the GNC multivitamin along with fish oil to keep my mind clear and B-12 (1500 strength) for energy. I feel grrreeeaaattt and I already lost 1 pound, prob water weight. I'll keep posted!
Like everyone here I too am having these symptoms... i had the mirena put in november of 2007 a few weeks after my son was born.. i have had problems off and on... hurting while having sex, pregnancy symptoms etc. i had an ultrasound done a year later cause i was having severe pains during sex and thought it moved but they said it was in place. well its almost 3 years now since it was inserted and i have had symptoms for the past few weeks.. i get  a period every month but very light and this month no period! i took 2 HPT .. one was positive and one negative, well its a month later and still no period i have talked to a few people that got pregnant on the mirena so i called my OB today.. they told me to come in right away for blood work and i go back tomorrow at 11am. I am very nervous! a girl i know had it in for almost 3 years and then had an eptopic pregnancy where she has to go for emergency surgery because of severe pain and thats when she found out she was pregnant. I have now heard from people that after 2-3 years that this is no longer affective, i am very nervous! although i was a brother or sister for my little guy i wanted to wait just a few more months before removing the mirena then trying to get pregnant! i dont want to be pregnant right now cause of all the risks that are involved with getting pregnant with the mirena. But for some people on here that keep saying there is no way you are pregnant that is a normal symptom, please dont take that as everything is fine! go see your OB or PCP, because everyone is different! if you are worried get checked..you will feel better afterwards! i go tomorrow, so i will let everyone know what happens!
Best of luck to you all!
Glad to see im NOT a hypochondriac; desperate woman WANTING to be pregnant; or Bi-polar!!! Over these LONG years ive experienced every single one of these symptoms which once again brought me to searchin for 'pregnancy with mirena'. This time around ive actually been period free going on 2 months with every text book prego symptom. Ive taken 6 test all were neg. So, with reading all yall ' Co- sufferers' =) ive made the decision that this little piece of plastic has to go!!  I am sitting here with my mom and sis and they started putting these pieces together with me ...every other  month I can swear that im pregnant because of the symptoms. I have the dr office bills to prove it!! Drs btw would look at me like im crazy and made me feel thimble size for even entertaining the idea that could be preg w/ mirena...My mood swings are serious!!! bad enough that  ive turned to counceling and those darythimn drs!!! all to no avail!!  I get these pains in uterus area that can only be described as a sharp pain in my uterus. dr would check  and" everything is fine Ms. Alvarado. I dont see anything that supports you having vaginal or utrian pain" " . Not only has this contraceptive  given me all these problems with my female organs its ruined my complexion and hair. now i battle huge cyst like acne on the sides of my chin and  on the sides of my face... boob leakage only once months after insertion and 35lbs  weight gain...AND I'm a BOXER!!! so they cant tell me im not active!! If there is somehting WE can do about this WE SHOULD!! we all have the option to remove this burden and go about our business but we should have had all these side effects listed and explained to us before ....thats the# 1 reason i opted for it in the first place... MINIMAL side effects!!!!
i went to the doctor.. and good news i am not pregnant! my docotor said these are all normal side effects and some people experience them more then others. He has used the mirena on tons of patients in the last few years and none have gotten pregnant! he swears by it! i was going to remove it but considering i got pregnant on the pill, i figure i will try it out for alittle bit longer and see if i can deal! i mean its been in for 3 years so whats a little bit longer to see what i should do!
I wish everyone the best with everything that is going on! it ***** that we didnt learn about these symptoms before hand, but this is a newer one so maybe when i got it done 3 years ago there wasnt many things to go on, like the whole pregnancy symptoms!
but like i said if anyone feels that you are pregnant it doesnt hurt to see your doctor, rather be safe then sorry!
my doctor also told me that the mirena is def. good for 5 years, infact they say it is good for 7 years but they only guarantee 5. and for the people who got pregnant with the mirena was because it either fell out unknowingly or it moved out of place! soo thats what i was told! who knows! thats not what i said, just what the doctor said!
but anyway good luck and if anyone has anything they want to ask me feel free... other then this whole mirena thing, i am great with children advice! my son is almost 3, i studied nursing but had to stop because i had to take care of my dad who was home on hospice and actually have had quiet a few scares with my son!
good luck everyone!
Hello, Like all other Mirena users here, I always feel tired sleepy, urine frequently, nautious. Ive gotten Pregnancy tests done and came back negative. Im just nervous about ever getting pregnant (if it happens) with Mirena because of all the awful things i've heard about the ectopic pregnancies. What if I get pregnant with mirena? What should I do?? Is my life really at risk??
I got my IUD in June of 2010. My son will be 4 months on the 19th of August. I started bleeding on July 1st and have had like a light period since! I have noticed that I feel nauseated at night (not all the time, but every now and then). I get headaches, which I did when I was pregnant too! I get moody! I am not sure if I have gained weight or not. I feel hungry a lot and always sleepy. I have heard that becoming pregnant while having an IUD makes you high risk and if a doctor removes it you may lose the baby. Please tell me whatever you know and if anyone has the same problems I am having!
Omg I am having the exact ame problem. If I would of known that this many women were going through the same thing I would of never got this. I have 3 kids and I don't want a 4th anytime soon. I got the iud July 2 and I only had bleeding for that month this month I have NO bleeding at all. My stomach is bloated, I have gained weight, I feel nauseous, and tired all the time too. I took a preg test today and it came back neg. I even had a doctors appointment today and she said everything looked ok because the string was visible and she schedualed me an ultrasound to see if its in the right spot. But I don't think I'm going to keep this iud I'm going back on the nuva ring at least I know when to exect my period. I don't want anymore scares like this :(
I have had my Mirena for about a year now and have completly stopped getting my period, which completly freaks me out.  I have been reading all the posts and am so glad to hear that my symptoms are not me being neurotic and others are going through this also.  The "fluttering" is wierd and I, too, have gained about 15 lbs while working out.  My husband thinks I am nuts and we are wasting money on preg tests every month.  I have gone to the dr. and they say nothing is impossible but chances of getting preg are very slim.  However, I got preg with my last baby on the pill.  So I am hoping that I am good with one slim chance pregnancy.  For now I am keeping it, It was very expensive, but I really do not like not getting my period every month.  Any thoughts??
well i had the paragard iuc put in jan. of 07,(thats the non hhormone copper one. the only one i could get while breast feeding my newborn). after it was put in my  periods wee extremely irratic, to the point where i would skip moonnths, have 2 periods in one month, i actually stopped marking it on the calender because it just looked like random  marks. so i have had the implant for a little over 3 years, started having pregnancy symp. so i took a test. it came out positive. took another...it too was positive. went tto the clinic and sure enough i am now pregnant with the implaant. it is very dangerous to the unborn baby, so they removed it rite away (which is also dangerous) and there it was rite where it was put where it failed to do its job afteer only 3 out of 10 years. and now im in a high risk pregnancy i wasnt prepared for!
AfterI had gotten pregnant with YASMINE in 2006, I waited until my baby was born and researched birth control. I tried the nuevia ring first and becuase the co pay was 40.00 bucks every month , I had my mirena inserted in April of 2009. I started out with the cramps and then everything calmed down. Lately I started to get bad cramps , light headed, dizzy, weak, and my stomatch qeazy. I took a HPT it was negative, then after not having a menistrual for 2 months I started to spot, but not enough to fill a pad. I called my docs and I have an appointment next friday which the earliest they can see me. Good Luck Ladies , i will keep you posted on my results... Andy
Wooow.. so I got mirena put in in dec 2007...so I have had mine forabout 2 1/2 yrs now... I had a great experience with it until this yr. I have had a bacterial infection the last 2 times I had papsmears ( they were 6 mo apart due to an hpv scare) and now I have gained 15 lbs out of the blue, am very very bloated and extremely gassy..I also have this horrible acne. I will be going to the dr next month to discuss having it removed.. my only problem is my lack of health insurance..I am not ready for more babies..so I'm not sure what route we will have to go for birth control. I can't believe these horrid symptoms are from this stupid iud... I would not have gotten it if all of this had been explained to me....grr
I HAD MIRENA INPLANTED FEB2010, AT TIME OF SURGERY I ALSO HAD AN OVARIAN CYST REMOVED VIA LAPROSCOPY, I HAVE BEEN BLEEDIN THE  WHOLE TIME WIF NO SIGNS OF IT STOPPIN, IT STARTED OFF A BROWNISH COLOUR AND OCCASIONALY IT WAS RED, IM SOOOOOOOOOOOO OVER IT, I HAD IT IMPLANTED BECAUSE I SUFFERED HEAVY PERIODS...CONTIMPLATING A HYSTERECTOMY AS ENUF IS ENUF....
Wow, periods still?  I have had my mirena for 1/12 years and no problems what so ever.  No periods, the only thing I get occaisionally is tender breasts.  No weight gain, cramps, periods or nothing.
I got a mirena about 5 years ago, had problems with pain, to the point of not being able to move. I requested to have it removed. Did just fine, then while on the patch, got pregnant with my second child. Decided to go back to the mirena, because I have no insurance and it was what I could afford. This time I got the mirena December 2007. I went with no periods up until last year, now I get them once every 3-4 months. I do have the occasional tender breasts, though sometime after that occurs I wind up having a period. I take a pregnancy test every month to be safe and have since I got the mirena put in. The only trouble I am having now, is that every so often I feel flutters in my stomach, which is very strange and sometimes freaky. Not sure why, hopefully there is some rational explanation. Good luck to anyone having trouble, I think that most of it is normal...ANNOYING, but normal all the same.
Mirena is AWEFUL!! I am so relieved to read that I am not alone in "feeling pregnant" but, I am going to make an appt to take this thing out!! wow, what a waste of money! they should be sued! I had mine put it 4 months ago, after the birth of my second child. I bled for 1 month straight, then got somewhat normal periods, and now have been spotting bright red blood daily for 3 weeks, on top of the newer-felt symptoms of being moody, angry, emotional, nautious, dizzy, etc. . I was so scared that I may be pregnant, until I read all of these stories. what do we do now??
I am so glad that I have found out that I am not alone in this situtation!! I had the Mirena IUD inserted back in January of '08 and now I "feel" prego.  I am gassy, crampy, having bouts of fatiuge and nausea, bloating, strong sense of smell, etc.  I do know that I would have conceived 11 days ago (Aug. 26), which timing with my last period (Aug. 8-12) would make me around 3-4 weeks prego, if I am in fact pregnant.  I am so glad that I have already made a doctors appt. last month for a check-up because I took a pt 3 days ago and it was negative, but I took one today and it was positive (with a dark thin blue line/instead of dark thick line - 2 line test - CVS early pt,) so now I am confused and am def. wanting to get a blood workup done.  
Good Luck to Everyone! Just know that you are not alone!!
I am glad to know that I am not!!!
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I had the mirena inserted in june of 07, a month after my third child was born. I haven't had any problems until now. i've been tired, my boobs are sore, sick every morning, flutters in stomach, headaches and the smell of lots of food make me sick. took a home test and it was neg. do i need to go to the doc?
Viewing 1-200 comments: