My period blood smells really bad!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

My period blood smells really bad!

I've just come on my period, 4 days late, and for the first time ever, my period blood smells absolutely horrible. The colour has turned from light red-ish to a darker browney-red and it is more clumpy and leaky. I've looked up on the internet to see what may be the problem and all I've seen people say is this usually happens at a older age, when you've had children, or if you've left a tampon up there and its lost or something. I've never used a tampon, I've used pads since I first started and I've just never bothered with tampons. I'm only 19, I've never been pregnant and I started my period when I was roughly 13. Is this normal?
Yes, the brownish blood is normal at any age as it's just the body cleansing itself of the old blood.  The clots are also normal (unless they are bigger than a quarter and coming fast and frequent), and I actually had them more when I was younger - especially at your age (I'm 38 now).  I've also had certain periods that tended to smell worse than others and the brown blood does smell worse as far as I'm concerned.  That's also a pretty normal age to start.  Good luck to you and hope this helps :)
Aah thankyou so much, I started to worry a little because obviously I haven't experienced this before and I've never heard of it happening to anyone up until the past 2 days. What you've just said does make sense, so thankyou again :) x